Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Believe In Magic ❯ A Common Room Discussion ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Do You Believe In Magic
 
Chapter Six
 
A Common Room Discussion
 
Hey everyone! This chapter goes out tosasssouciebecause really? I simply cannothave people dying before I complete this story! Thanks to everyone so far who has read and reviewed my story, you're all gems! =]
 
 
All the rest of that eventful morning, and late into the afternoon, Hermione and Draco both sat through their classes and lunch in good spirits. Neither of them could forget the connection they had both felt that morning, yet neither could barely look at the other all day, except for head nods and passing glances in class, or in the hallways.
 
It wasn't really that it was awkward; it was more like neither Draco nor Hermione wanted to tarnish the memory. So they simply re-lived it all day, instead of moving forward with each other, hoping to preserve the magic.
 
When it came time to head back up to dormitories, one hour before supper, Draco and Hermione met up halfway there, and walked side by side for what seemed like forever, before they reached their portrait. The stood in front of the two previous Heads, and waited to be noticed. Fortunately, it did not take long.
 
Judas was first to speak.
 
“G'day my fair lady Hermione Granger, and handsome gentleman Draco Malfoy! Was your day satisfactory?” He spoke quickly and eagerly, and seemed impatient for the response. “Well come on then young ones, don't let the air linger!”
 
Draco was about to answer when Amelia stepped in.
 
“Oh, really Judas. Give the two bright students their space! They've probably just encountered a rather eventful day, and are just tired.” She smiled lightly at Judas who smiled back. She turned to Hermione and Draco who looked back at her expectantly. “Care to give us the password? I am sure you would like some time to relax before supper, hmm?” She asked kindly.
 
“Yes, that would be nice,” Hermione replied sweetly.
 
“And to answer your previous question, Judas, I am sure that Hermione here would agree that the day was a rather special one.” He turned to Hermione for confirmation, who smiled half-heartedly, and then turned back to Judas and Amelia who were looking positively ecstatic.
 
“Well then, I suppose we shouldn't loiter in the corridor any longer then we must. Love and Dignity,” Draco spoke.
 
“Very well. We shall see you later then!” Judas and Amelia shouted to them as they went inside the portrait hole and closed the door.
 
“I don't understand why those two are always so cheerful,” Draco joked.
 
“I guess they just prefer to be optimistic in contrast to common pessimists like yourself,” Hermione joked back as they both took a seat on opposite couches.
 
“Hey! Not nice!” Draco exclaimed as he chucked a pillow at Hermione but it missed and it went flying over her head. She laughed, and threw a pillow back at him, which hit him square in the face.
 
Draco shook it off, and said, “Alright. You win this time,” with a teasing smile.
 
“I always do,” she countered with a cheeky grin.
 
Draco rolled his eyes with a lazy half smile and then patted the seat next to him. Hermione raised her eyebrows in question, but he just beckoned her over again, and she got up slowly and made her way over to the spot next to him, and sat down quietly. When Draco didn't say anything more, she sighed impatiently, causing him to turn his head and give her a curious sideways glance.
 
“Sorry…” She said, embarrassed, and then turned her head away from him.
 
“Nah, It's fine…” Draco stopped short, hesitated, and then continued. “Um. Mione?”
 
She looked back at him, and replied with a short, “hmm?”
 
He sighed looking distressed, but continued anyway.
 
“Alright… about this morning…”
 
“Oh….” Hermione looked at a pillow on her side of the couch.
 
“Yeah. Oh….” Draco sighed again. “I want to help you.”
 
Hermione's head shot in his direction. “How and why?”
 
Draco chortled lightly before allowing his hand to search for hers, and take it in his own. He rubbed circles on her soft skin with his thumb as he started to explain.
 
“Weaselbee threatened you, correct?”
“In a sense…” Hermione replied quietly, still upset about the whole scene at breakfast that morning.
 
“Right then. Now, I know we've only been friends for a short period of time, and an even shorter amount of time in person… But I feel connected to you. Almost like… almost like it's my job to watch out for you now.”
 
Hermione nodded her head in understanding, letting Draco know he could continue.
 
“I feel like it would actually be near impossible for me to just let you deal with this on your own. You need help. You and I both know it,” he finished.
 
Hermione looked down at her hand, where somehow, her fingers had become intertwined with Draco's. She squeezed his hand, and felt him squeeze back, not a moment later.
 
“But… why?” Was all Hermione could utter.
 
Draco smiled as he brought his eyes up to meet hers.
 
“Because, that's what friends are for, Hermione.”
 
Hermione's eyes filled with tears, and she let go of Draco's hand, leaping at him and wrapping her arms around his neck. He laughed joyously and draped his arms around her and held her close. He could smell the shampoo in her hair. It smelled like a tangerine ocean, and he breathed it in deeply.
 
When they finally pulled apart a few minutes later, Hermione felt she couldn't keep the burning question inside any longer.
 
“So, um, Draco…” she started.
 
“Mm?”
 
“What exactly… um, did you have in mind… as far as helping me goes…?”
 
Draco looked away for a second, and then stood up. Hermione noticed right away, the trademark smirk on his face and had no idea what to think. But he didn't leave her hanging for very long…
 
“Dear, dear, dear Hermione, Queen of my heart, Princess of Gryffindor…” He kneeled and took her hand. “Little lioness bookworm of mine, please, wont you be my pretend girlfriend?”
 
Hermione looked at him and rolled her eyes. She was trying very hard not to laugh at his little show of melodramatics, and he could plainly see that, so he continued.
 
“It has come to my attention, that you need protecting from a certain weasel and pothead, yes? Right then. And surely, you should know, I would be thoroughly crushed if you declined my offer to be my counterfeit significant other, see? So please, spare me the humiliation and tears of being rejected. I mean, it would be just plain sad if I got refused even for a pretend relationship! So, so sad…”
 
By now Draco was pacing the room, and Hermione was sitting on the couch, shaking her head and laughing like an idiot. When she got her giggles under wraps, she ran up to Draco and saved him from his endless ramblings.
 
“Okay, okay! I give! I will be your pretend girlfriend!” Hermione said happily.
 
“Really?” Draco's face lit up as he said this.
 
“Yes!”
 
“WOOOHOO!” Draco cheered. He picked Hermione up by the waist and twirled her high in the air above his head. Hermione was screaming and laughing, and finally, Draco collapsed, and she fell directly on top of him in the middle of the common room.
 
They looked into each other's eyes, and Hermione felt her stomach tighten, and suddenly it felt like there was a huge cloud of butterflies in her stomach!
 
She broke their stare and nervously climbed off of Draco. He sat up and watched as she fidgeted with her Hogwarts robe. His smile faded to a concerned frown. This was going to be harder than he thought.
 
Draco's POV:
 
I hope I can pull this off… We have fun together. I hope I don't screw this up; I just really want to help her! But maybe this pretend dating thing is taking “help” too far? I should think not… But I pray she can learn to trust me as a boyfriend…
 
Hermione's POV:
 
What was that?! When he looked at me that way, why did I feel so self conscious, and tingly inside? Hoo-boy…
 
End Of POV's
 
The rest of the night was fairly easy going. Hermione and Draco both went up to their rooms to change out of their robes, and then settled in the common room with some coffee and played a few games of Wizard's Chess.
 
Around 10:30, Hermione went up to bed, and Draco followed suite, seeing as there was nothing else to do. Before Hermione got to her door however, Draco came over and hugged her goodnight, wishing her a good sleep, and telling her not to stress about anything.
 
He reminded her that starting tomorrow, they would be a `couple', and that she should know that he isn't how other people say he is with girls, and that it would basically be normal between them except that they might hang out more, hug, or hold hands.
 
She looked okay with this, and hesitantly, because he couldn't help himself, he leant in and kissed her lightly on the cheek. So lightly, neither of them could remember the feeling of his lips on her cheek afterwards. Hermione blushed, turned away and walked to her door, where she said her password, and walked inside. Draco did the same.
 
They were in for a long day tomorrow.
 
Hi all! I'm sorry this chapter isn't that long again. I find it hard to write more than 5-6 pages in Word per chapter… I want to spread the story out a little bit? So yeah, hope you enjoyed it, I know Hermione ad Draco are very OOC now, but it's kind of just the direction the story is heading in… ha-ha! Okay, R & R please!