Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Believe In Magic ❯ He Said She Would Pay ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Do You Believe In Magic
 
Chapter Five
 
He Said She Would Pay
 
Heey everyone! Here is the update for Do You Believe In Magic chapter Five! I hope you like it, and I will try to make this one longer for ya! Thanks for the support, reviews and for just reading my story!
 
 
Hermione was late.
 
She'd been so sure right before she went to sleep a few hours ago that she would be able to get up. Basically only because she didn't think she'd be able to sleep at all anyway.
 
When her alarm had obnoxiously awoken her from her deep slumber, she had slammed her hand over the button, looked at the glowing red numbers, and had screamed herself right out of bed! After peeling herself off the floor, she raced to the bathroom, only to find Draco in there, posing in front of the mirror and making sure there wasn't a hair out of place on his blonde head.
 
She had rudely shoved him out of the bathroom muttering something like `you're so overly obsessed with yourself! Girls need more time in the bathroom than guys so please do remove yourself from the room! Thank you!' and then slammed the door in his face.
 
Draco looked at the door that had been harshly shut behind him and shook his head.
 
“And this is the thanks I get for getting up at the un-Godly hour of 4 in the morning to make sure she's okay? Geez…”
 
Draco heard the shower turn on and decided he'd make her some breakfast, seeing as he had to get to class in about 10 minutes, and she was most likely going to be a few minutes late.
 
He went down to the kitchen and started a pot of coffee, and brought out a frying pan. He placed it on the stove and added a spray of vegetable oil to the surface of the pan. When he leaned down to grab some eggs from the fridge, he heard the shower turn off and Hermione scream out in frustration.
 
He stood up and looked curiously up the stairs to where he slowly saw the door to the shared bathroom opening a crack.
 
Mione stuck her head out of the door a little ways and hesitantly called to Draco.
 
`Um… Draco?”
 
Draco walked to the staircase and climbed halfway up so he didn't have to yell to her.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Uh… I think… I think I have forgotten a towel… Can you grab the red one from my room? It's on my bed.”
 
Draco smiled to himself. He wasn't going to try anything. He had been taught better then that. He was just suddenly remembering a time when his mother had forgotten her towel when he was younger. It didn't show, but his mother had always been quite forgetful. She would never dare ask Lucius to hand her a towel. He would just scoff at her for being an incompetent woman and leave her in the bathroom. She also didn't want to bother the house elves with such a seemingly small chore, as she tried to give them a break most of the time. Instead she would call to her son and ask him to bring her the towel she almost always left on the end of her bed. It was always emerald green, and very fluffy. Draco would run to his mommy's room and then run back to her and hand her the towel.
 
Draco was jerked back to reality when Hermione muttered a tiny “please?” from the bathroom. Draco felt guilty for leaving her in the dark and replied right away.
 
“Oh… Sure. You really ought to remember those things though.” He said playfully.
 
“Thank you…” she almost whispered. She felt embarrassed and foolish for her little mistake, and the whole situation was just awkward for her.
 
Draco climbed the rest of the stairs and brisk-walked to her room, remembering that he had a pan on the stove, which was currently heating up.
 
He opened the door to Hermione's room, and it creaked slightly. Walking in, he looked around and his eyes landed on her messy bed. There was no towel on it though, and Draco's eyes wondered around for a moment.
 
He took a few steps into the room, and glanced around her bed. When he spotted it on the floor, half covered by her comforter, he shook his head and bent down to pick it up.
 
With the towel in his grasp, he walked out of the room and down the hall a little bit to where the bathroom was. He saw the door opened a crack, but he could not she Hermione's head. He walked up to the door and was about to knock when a soft humming met his ears. He leaned in a little closer the door, and could hear the sweet melody of a muggle song he had heard before. Hermione was quietly singing it to herself.
 
It was called `Sing For Me' by a singer named Krystal Meyers. He could distinctly hear her singing a part of the song that always made him feel at ease. This actually happened to be a song Draco used to listen to a lot when he was younger. At one point, he learned it on the piano, but he could not play it anymore.
 
Hermione was now at the chorus, and Draco didn't have the heart to disturb her. He just wanted to listen to the song…
 
`Sing for me one more song…Pray for me one more time…I can feel you though you're not here…your voice whispers in the breeze…and you are, near…'
 
She finished off the song and sat in silence for a while. Draco found himself sitting against the wall beside the door, thinking about all the times he had listened to that song. Such fond memories some were, and others? Not so fond.
 
Just then, Draco heard a surprised gasp. The blonde boy looked up and found the red face of a very angry head girl.
 
“Why are you sitting there?!”
 
“Wait, Mione I—”
 
“No, save it Malfoy! I thought you had changed, but then I turn around and look what I find! A fowl perverted little ferret spying on me in my state of vulnerability! I am disgusted!”
 
Draco didn't get a chance to respond before Hermione ripped her red towel from Draco's hands and the door was once again slammed in his face.
 
Draco stared at the door for a little while before sighing and mentally kicking himself a few thousand times.
 
He went back downstairs only to find the pan of vegetable oil smoking.
 
“AH! Damn it!”
 
He grabbed his wand from the back pocket of his jeans and cleared up the smoke, and then grabbed the pan and stuck it in the sink. He turned the tap and cold water gushed out of the faucet onto the hot metal of the pan and a sizzling sound met his ears.
 
He turned and leaned his back against the counter while the water ran freely. He sucked in a big breath of air and then let it out slowly, wishing to once again hear Hermione's pretty, but modest voice singing his childhood favourite song again. But then became pained at the thought that Hermione would think he was doing anything but listening to her sing. But then again, what had he done to her for years? Torment her? Tease her? Make fun of her and constantly degrade her and her blood? That could be the reason.
 
After a few minutes, Hermione came running down the stairs and without even glancing at Draco, she left the common room and headed for the great hall.
 
Hermione's POV:
 
What a JERK! Why do I do this to myself? I try making friends with people and they turn around and aren't who I was beginning to think they were. All I ever do to myself in trying to make more friends is get myself hurt. This is so… Not fair. I thought I was beginning to see something—or someone—in Draco Malfoy. Another person who is caring, sensitive and understanding. A potential friend, or maybe—just maybe, in the future—more than a friend. But who was I really kidding, right?
 
End Of POV
 
Hermione was no standing at the entrance to the Great Hall, and she sighed. Right about now, she didn't really hate Draco all that much—She hated herself. Slowly and weakly, she pushed open the doors to the Great Hall and walked inside. There weren't many people left, seeing as people would be heading to class right about now. There was still 10 minutes though, which would give her some time to eat a piece of toast or something.
 
When Hermione was closer to the Gryffindor table, she noticed that Ginny, Ron and Harry were all still there. She smiled, but then frowned. It was understandable that Ron and Harry were both still there, but Ginny? She's usually at her first class by now, because she's slightly obsessed with being on time so that she doesn't get in trouble.
 
`I wonder what's going on…'
 
She sat down at the table beside Ginny, and noted that the faces of all her friends were turned towards her, but none were smiling. They all wore serious expressions, and Hermione couldn't help but laugh.
 
“Alright, who died?” She joked.
 
Ron snorted and rolled his eyes, but still looked rather…angry?
 
Harry cleared his throat.
 
“Hermione, we'd like to talk to you for a minute…”
 
Hermione sat up a little straighter, reached for some toast, and said, “Shoot.”
 
Harry was about to say something when Ron butted in with, “Why are you hanging out with Malfoy?!”
 
“Excuse me?!” She choked.
 
“You heard me!” Ron snarled. “We saw you walking with him last night, and it's been going around the school that you guys might be dating!”
 
Hermione looked at Ginny with an expression of plain confusion on her face. Ginny look apologetically at Hermione as she replied, “I'm Sorry Herm, but almost everybody knows…so what's going on then?”
 
Hermione looked finally at Harry, begging for some help, some backup. But nothing came.
 
“Don't play dumb Hermione! We all know you like the ferret!” Ron shouted.
 
“WHAAAAAAT?” Hermione screamed. “Where the bloody hell did you here THAT from?!”
 
Harry spoke up. “Don't know Hermione. It's been going around since last night…”
 
“So, is it true then?” Ron asked looked scared.
 
“No. I mean, yes. I mean. AH! Okay! Draco and I have been friends since the end of sixth year! All right? We've been writing letters back and forth all summer! I'm sorry okay? But he apologized to me, and explained everything. You wouldn't understand! He's changed! But I don't like him that way and I never have! Okay? All we are is friends, and if anything, that's all we'll ever be,” Hermione said in a rush.
 
Ron, Harry and Ginny all stared blankly at Hermione before Ron screamed, “Damnit Hermione!” and ran off.
 
Hermione put her head in her hands and cried silently. She listened to the echoing footsteps of her friends walking away. But her head shot up when she heard Ron yell, “You'll pay for this, Granger.”
 
Hermione's blood ran cold. That voice he had used sounded just like what Draco's used to sound like, but it came from Ron.
 
And that voice didn't lie.
 
She sat alone in the Great Hall, as the minutes ticked on. Or at least. She thought she was alone…
 
“Hey there,” She heard someone say from a few feet away. She recognized the soft, weak voice to be Draco's.
 
She turned around to look him in the eye, and accidentally let a tear slip down her cheek. Draco walked over to her and sat down on the bench, his legs on either side of it, facing Hermione's small trembling frame.
She was too scared to say anything, and he knew that, so he simply took her hand in his, laced his fingers with hers, and brought both their hands to his mouth. She looked at their fingers tangled together, and watched as Draco placed a light butterfly kiss onto one of her fingers. He lingered there for a moment before pulling away and looking her in the eyes. She was becoming lost in the grey-blue pools of light and water that made up his eyes, but came back when he closed his eyes slowly and then opened them again.
 
No words were being spoken, but they both knew what was being said. She begged him with her eyes to help her through this, and he nodded his head. This was going to be the beginning of a very strong friendship. They could both feel it.
 
Okkaayy... So this one isn't any longer than Chapter 4 was, but I just thought it was the right way to end this chapter. So yea, sorry for the delay, I have been struggling in school, and I lost my laptop xD Underneath the mess that my room is, and… well… I've just not known where to go with this chapter, but it is now BOXING DAY! (December 26) and I have completed this chapter, finally! Okay! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I put a lot of thought into it, and I will start on the 6th chapter very soon, because since it is the Christmas holidays, I actually have time! Ha-ha, All right, Bye y'all!