Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Believe In Magic ❯ Insecurities ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Do You Believe In Magic
 
Chapter Four
 
Insecurities
 
 
Here I am updating again! Man. I am so happy I found my motivation again! You guys are lucky I like this story so much; I will be updating a lot more for REAL this time! Enjoy!
 
 
 
By the time Mione and Draco had exhausted themselves with laughter and talking about various topics, it was 2:30 in the morning, and both were ready to head on up to bed.
 
“Well, I guess I will see you in the morning then,” Said Hermione.
 
“Yeah, bright and early,” Draco said, playfully rolling his eyes.
 
Mione smirked and turned away, running up her set of stairs and whispering her password to a second year Hermione.
 
Draco had done the same except he had just blurted out his password in full volume to a third year Draco, who roughly replied “Smooth, you idiot,” when Hermione looked over and raised her eyebrows at him.
 
“I'll be changing that,” mumbled Draco as he stepped in through the silver framed door.
 
When Draco looked into his new room, he gasped then smiled brightly before nodding approvingly.
 
There was a silver and evergreen coloured bureau with all his quills and parchment and ink lined up neatly on top of it. There was a picture of his mother sitting in a silvery snake frame next to his inkbottle, and sitting on top of the parchment pile, next to the slowly burning candle, was a letter from his mother.
 
Draco took another quick look around. Everything was themed green and silver; mostly with some black here and there, with the same stripy walls as in the common room, except green and silver—no surprises there.
 
He smiled again at the surroundings of his room, and noted that his trunk was open in the corner, and all his things seemed to have already been put away. He then walked over to the bureau, and picked up the letter, and then tore it open.
 
Dear Draco,
I am very proud of you making Head Boy. It is too bad I was not there to congratulate you at home. I hope to see you soon, and you will be coming home for Christmas for sure, no questions. I know it is early to be discussing Christmas, but maybe you could bring a friend or two with you this year? Perhaps, that Granger girl you told me about in your last letter. The one you have decided to be friends with, and have been writing to all summer? I hope that is working out. I don't think Lucius is happy about it, but just ignore him. All right then! Have a good start of term. I hope to hear from you soon.
 
Yours Sincerely,
Narcissa; Mother.
Draco smiled and was just about to sit down and write a reply, when he heard a piercing scream come from Hermione's room. Draco jumped up and scurried out of his room to the half opened door of Hermione's own room.
 
He ran inside without knocking and yelled, “What is it?!?!”
 
Hermione looked terrified at him then pointed to the corner of the room.
 
“It's a—it's a—it's a—a—a—”
 
“Draco followed her gaze then scowled.
 
“A spider?” He asked annoyed.
 
“Y-yeah!”
 
“Oh brother…” Draco mumbled as he walked over to the unfortunate looking black thing and pointed his wand at it. “Stupefy,” he mumbled before gathering it up in his hand and placing it out on the ledge of the window, and then closing it again.
 
“W-why didn't you kill it?” Hermione asked puzzled, as he turned back towards her.
 
“It was just a web spider. They don't bite. It didn't do anything to you, so it doesn't need to die.”
 
“Oh.” Was all Hermione could manage as she watched Draco walk out of her bedroom. She couldn't help but feel stupid about the whole thing.
 
She went down and sat at her red and gold vanity, where she started removing her eye make-up with a wet swab.
 
Her room was the same as Draco's with the same stuff, except for the vanity, which Draco did not have—obviously!
 
After removing the last of the light pink and light brown eye shadow from her lids, she looked at herself in the mirror. She studied her brown eyes, noting how boring they were. She looked at her frizzy hair, and then decided it wasn't as frizzy anymore, but still thought she would look better having longer hair. Maybe down to her waist. Her hair would be harder to take care of if it was longer, but then maybe she'd have something to hide her stick straight body.
 
Her mom this summer had reminded Hermione countless times that she was getting such “beautiful curves” and a “perfect figure.” But Hermione didn't see it that way.
 
Hermione gazed at her reflection, and frowned. Compared to all the pretty girls like the Patil sisters and Cho Chang, who chose style over studies and boys over books, she was just average looking. Nothing special about her, and nothing to offer the world but her intelligence and her cleverness, Hermione was feeling a little down all of a sudden.
 
She didn't know how long she sat there, staring at herself, wondering where she went wrong, but when Draco walked in the room with pyjama shorts and an old t-shirt on, looking tired, she turned in her seat looked up at him.
 
“Mione, why aren't you goin' to bed, it's like, 4:30 in the morning…” Draco said groggily.
 
Hermione didn't reply, she didn't blink, she didn't move. She just stared at him, her eyes starting to water.
 
Draco open his eyes a bit wider, and look at her with concern.
 
“…Mione…?”
 
Nothing.
 
Draco walked over to the bed and sat down on it. The bed was about 2 feet from her vanity and the same height as the chair, so they were even.
 
“Hey… You okay?” Draco asked quietly, reaching out his hand a putting it on Hermione's, but Hermione pulled back and look away, feeling weirdly scared that she might start crying heavily if she looked at him for any longer. Draco thought ad other ideas.
 
Her stood up and kneeled down right beside her chair, and took her chin with his thumb and forefinger, and gently turned her head towards him.
 
“What's wrong?” He asked again.
 
Hermione's bottom lip quivered slightly and the tiniest of whimpers left her lips.
 
Draco's eyes widened suddenly as tears began running down Hermione's cheeks.
 
His hand left her chin and he backed up slightly, not knowing what to do.
 
Hermione looked him in the eye, and then blinked, and more tears fell.
 
“A-am I P-pretty? I-is there n-nothing special ab-bout m-me? W-when y-you l-look at m-me, d-do y-you j-just see a st-stuck up know-it-all, w-with st-stupid hair and n-nothing t-to of-fer?”
 
Draco looked at her, bewildered. How could anyone as pretty as Hermione think they're not. How could anyone as amazing as the girl in front of him, think they have nothing to offer? And yet, she sat there in front of him crying her beautiful eyes out, and all Draco could think to do was pull Hermione to her knees and wrap his arms around her.
 
She buried her face in his chest and cried. Nobody said anything, and eventually Hermione settled down into a peaceful state, he breathing coming out slow and even.
 
By now it was around 5 in the morning, but neither of them were that tired anymore. Draco's back was up against the side of Hermione's bed, and his legs were crossed in front of him. Hermione lay in his lap, her head on his chest, curled up against him. He was steadily stroking Hermione's tousled brown locks, feeling their softness under his fingers.
 
“Hey, Mione…”
 
“Hmm…”
 
“You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen… And I don't see you as a know-it-all. You are a bright, talented, clever, creative young women, and I don't know why you don't see that…”
 
Hermione didn't answer. She was so shocked. Nobody had ever said anything like that to her in her life. She didn't know how to answer him; so instead, she tilted her head up and gave Draco a feather-light kiss on the cheek. It was completely out of character, but she didn't know anyway else that seemed an appropriate way to respond to such compliments.
 
Draco looked down at her once she had resumed her normal position, and suddenly felt this outrageous, boyish excitement rush through him! He had been kissed before, and they had been full out kisses, but the tiniest contact like that from Hermione had him bouncing off the walls inside! His heart racing, his head pounding, his soul dancing, like the sun had just come out after a nasty storm.
 
But then it all stopped when Hermione got up from Draco's lap and the warmth from her left him. He looked up with a neutral face, and she offered her hand to help me up. He took it, and the just stared at her for a few moments.
 
“Well…” Draco started.
 
“Well…?”
 
“I hope you are feeling better now, but we should be going to bed now…”
 
“Y-yeah…bed…” Hermione was gazing at him with a look of sadness in her eyes.
 
Draco gently but briefly wrapped his arms around her once more, and kissed the top of her head.
 
He couldn't explain the feelings he had towards the girl in his arms. He felt like he'd known her forever, like she was a long lost sister or something. He then mentally kicked himself for missing out on all of this the past 6 years.
 
Draco had never had any siblings. He'd had cousins though; some a great deal younger, too young for him to hang around with, and then some too old, who didn't want him hanging around. He'd been alone most of his life, locked up in his room, with all his little expensive gadgets, presented as persuasion to join forces with Voldemort. His mother, always kind to him when Lucius was not around, would come up and talk to him for a few minutes at a time, to make sure he was ok. When he wasn't at Hogwarts, he was thinking about going back to Hogwarts, and when he was at Hogwarts, he dreamt of no other place.
 
After Draco left Hermione's room, and they said their goodnights', Hermione crawled into bed, looking forward to the few hours of sleep she was going to obtain, and thought about the up-coming year at Hogwarts. She hoped she had some classes with Draco, and Harry and Ron, and she wished Ginny was in their year, but seeing her at meals and in the Gryffindor Common Room would be okay too.
 
Down the across the common room, Draco lay in his room, on his bed, trying to calm his rushing thoughts, so he could sleep.
 
Slowly both Heads' eyes began to close, and son both had drifted off into a semi-peaceful sleep.
 
Hey everyone! I have finished chapter four over the course of a week or so. Been busy, helping with moving into our new house, and I am still in the process, just so you know, this chapter was finished at 10:52 pm on August 22nd. Hope you enjoyed it! Chapter 5 on its way! Sorry this one is slightly .. Well. A lot short. The next one is going to be longer, I swear!