Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Melody of Oblivion ❯ Persistence ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Melody of Oblivion
By Kitsune Yarisha
 
A/N: It's been four years since the defeat of the Dark Lord, and the man-who-lived has just woken from a long coma. He can remember everything aside from some minor people. He knows he's the one who defeated Voldemort but the last thing he can remember from the night of his victory puzzles him. A pale-skinned, blonde haired teenage male running towards him. Who is he? H/D
 
 
Chapter Four: Persistence
 
“So long as there is breath in me, that long will I persist. For now I know one of the greatest principles of success; if I persist long enough I will win.” - Og Mandino
 
--
 
From where he sat in the second living room, Harry could barely stop himself from ignoring his book and staring at the locket on the coffee table. His neck ached from the odd position he had put it in to marvel at the piece that was behind him and low to the floor.
 
The music was impressive, this he knew. Violins painted the background story while the piano acted out the present and the characters emotions.
 
A love song with a full tale to tell, where a man sought after a woman who was ignorant of him and in love with another.
 
A house elf appeared next to the couch Harry was hanging half way off of with a loud pop.
 
A thud followed with a groan. “What is it?” Harry asked, getting up from where he had fallen. He glared halfheartedly at his only other companion. For some reason lately, he wished he had a full house hold of elvin and human helpers, but he shrugged it off.
 
“Aldon wished for Dizzy to tell sir that sir has to go to the…re-un-e-on tomorrow `ight, sir,” Dizzy smiled and clapped.
 
Harry blinked. “What? Reunion?” It took a moment for it to sink in. “Oh, right, of course. Thank you, Dizzy.”
 
Dizzy disappeared with a pop; probably already back in the kitchen making lunch.
 
Harry grinned and looked over to the window.
 
The sun hung behind light, crisp white clouds partway in the sky. It was hard to believe last night a storm had taken place.
 
He prayed the weather would hold.
 
--
 
The owl arrived early in the afternoon, another reminder.
 
This one was from Mrs. Hermione Weasley. Persistent, wasn't she?
 
It said not to forget the reunion at Hogwarts was tonight and that a special guest would be present.
 
Harry snorted as he folded the paper away and tucked it in his pocket. What guest could possibly attend that he didn't know?
 
A frown crossed his features.
 
Then again, he hadn't remembered who Sirius was or who Mr. Malfoy had been.
 
He sighed and called on Aldon to pick out an outfit for him.
 
The preparations for tonight would be done in a short amount of time, after which Aldon would make sure he was not needed for the next twenty-four hours so he could visit his family.
 
Harry was nervous as much as he was ready for this evening. Perhaps a nap would do him some good.
 
After a restroom break, he retreated to the sofa to lie down.
 
--
 
Mm, the melody was beautiful, rich, and warm. It roused Harry from his short slumber.
 
His green eyes cracked open to look upon Dizzy, who was holding up the locket by his face. He blinked up at her.
 
“Aldon said that humans enjoy waking up to music, sir. So Dizzy fetched this pretty music thing to wake sir up with! Dizzy so smart!!” She squealed, handing the locket over when Harry held out his hand.
 
He stared at it as he right hand went for the coffee table. It stopped an inch away as he realized he didn't wear glasses anymore. Harry shook his head and stood, stretching.
 
Dizzy rushed away.
 
His clothes, casual jeans and black silk, button-up shirt, felt invitingly fresh and warm in his hands as he moved slowly to the bathroom to change, fix his hair, and wash his face.
 
Nothing he did was rushed in the least; Dizzy had woken him up an hour early so he was ahead of schedule.
 
Before long, he was finished and he apparated to Hogsmeade. It was still impossible to apparate unto Hogswarts ground so walking was the only way in if you weren't a student.
 
He passed several familiar buildings, but one he couldn't quite remember the name of.
 
The local tavern sat impassively before him. The sign reading: Hogs Head Tavern.
 
Harry looked at his watch before walking in the front door.
 
The bar went silent, everyone looking at him as if they knew him but couldn't quite place from where.
 
Ignoring the stares, Harry took a seat at the bar and ordered a fire whiskey. He sipped at it and glanced around the room with curious green eyes.
 
Its occupants were nothing special to say the least. Each costumer was haggard and bearded wearing tattered clothing, looking as if they had just stepped from the Black Pearl and into the bar for a quick drink.
 
His eyes drifted further, toward the path he had taken to enter the tavern. For a moment, he recalled the time he had to sneak in after Professor McGonagall to hear about Sirius's connection to himself.
 
A streak of silver hurried out the door.
 
Harry stood quickly in surprise dropping the glass of fire whiskey. The smashing of thick glass brought him back.
 
The bartender swore in Russian and called the barmaid over to clean up the mess.
 
Apologizing, Harry paid and exited as fast as he could while he dodged the stares from the pirate-looking men. He half expected to be called back by an `Avast ye, lubber!' It never came.
 
“Wait up!” Harry called out once he had cleared the door.
 
A woman turned back in surprise, her silver blonde hair slipping over her slouched shoulders. “Can I help you, young man?”
 
He recoiled in surprise, his hand stopping a few inches from her shoulders. “I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else.”
 
“Nope. Just me,” She grinned, teeth slightly yellow beneath her chapped lips. Turning away from him, she entered an old shack and closed the door behind her.
 
The fluttering in his stomach ceased and disappointment washed through his being. Who had he been expecting to see?
 
He touched his throbbing temples. It was going to be a long night.
 
--
 
Everyone was probably sitting at the benches arranged for the reunion, but Harry wasn't looking. His stomach tied itself tighter.
 
“Did you see Hermione? Havin' that baby soon, she is!”
 
Swallowing his fear, Harry stepped around the tree, dodging the talking people and keeping his head down. He wasn't as identifiable without his trademark glasses. Unfortunately, the absence wasn't enough.
 
A hand shot out from a group of people Harry had trouble placing.
 
Harry struggled, not use to being touched. He yanked his arm back, pulling the attached person out to him.
 
A tanned and grinning face framed by curly red hair stared up at him from where it connected to its bent over figure. Dark chocolate brown eyes blinked for a moment before recognition sparked through them. “Harry? Oh! It's been so long, mate!” The man hugged him to his chest enthusiastically.
 
“Blaise? Will he ever wake up?”
 
“Blaise?” Harry breathed, flashes of a sinuous figure dancing, leaning, walking, talking went through his mind. His stomach knotted again.
 
Blaise released him, nodding. “Knew you'd remember me, bloke! Hermione told me to tell you to tell Ron, when you see him, that she's looking for him, and you should probably find her yourself.” The Italian (Harry remembered) patted his shoulder before diving back into the gaggle of people.
 
Oddly reassured and slightly nervous of whom else he would meet, Harry did as he was advised and made his way to where he thought Hermione might be. “Found you.”
 
She looked up, shaken by his quiet approach.
 
He smiled at her and sat down next to her on the steps of Hagrid's old home. “It brings back a lot of memories, doesn't it?”
 
Hermione looked as though she'd been crying in the dim afternoon light. She nodded and mumbled, “That bastard killed him, right in front of us.”
 
No blood. Hagrid stumbled forward before meeting the ground, eyes completely white.
 
Harry swallowed. He hadn't lost the painful memories. He looked up at the school; there just wasn't a Hogwarts without Hagrid.
 
Hermione looked up suddenly and smiled at someone from beside Harry. “Well!”
 
He looked up and sucked in his breath; Harry stared at the beautiful, lithe body before him.
 
“Hello, Mrs. Weasley, Harry,” the man said, bowing to Harry, his long blonde hair sliding silky over his right shoulder.
 
Harry couldn't breathe straight anymore as Hermione smiled and stood to hug the straightening man.
 
“It's been a long time, Draco!” She squealed.
 
“Draco?” Harry asked, brow furrowing, “Draco Malfoy?” That name again?
 
The taller man frowned as if troubled by Harry's confusion. He responded, “Yes, my name is Draco Lucius Malfoy. I'm your…old classmate, that's all. It has been a long time, and it doesn't surprise me you don't remember me.” He sighed and released Hermione from the embrace.
 
Harry's chest constricted in guilt, why did it hurt so much so hear this man state the obvious? Why did he feel this man was so important? “Sorry. Oh! I'm being rude.” He stood quickly bowing in greeting as Draco had done for them.
 
“Oh, so you got that then, did you?” Draco asked, smiling pleasantly once again as he stared at Harry's collarbone.
 
Hermione blinked and followed Draco's line of sight. “Oh! How pretty!”
 
Harry blinked; his hand went straight to the necklace though. “Ah, yes. If I may ask, why did I receive this?”
 
“It was a welcome back gift of sorts. You are the savior of the entire world,” Draco smiled, eyes twinkling in the dim lights adorning Hogwarts.
 
Harry frowned. That wasn't a good reason to give him such an extravagant gift. “Really? Is that why?” On that note, why was Hermione blushing at the look the taller man was giving him?
 
“Well, I suppose I've taken a liking to you, if my first answer was not sufficient,” he joked. However, Draco sobered slightly and asked in a very quiet voice. “Unless you don't like it. I could take it back?”
 
“No!” Harry answered immediately. He blushed furiously when the other man smiled brightly and raised an eyebrow at him. “What I meant to say is that I do indeed like it and would feel quite unappreciative of the gesture if I were to return it.”
 
Hermione coughed and made herself known again, as she had been dully unnoticed in the wake of the conversation. “Well, would you two like to accompany an old witch around the party so that I might ever so kindly introduce you to everyone who decided to come?”
 
 
To Be Continued.
 
Author's Notes: So sorry for the wait, my lovelies. I'm very sure many of you abandoned me in the near yearlong wait for me to update and for that I just want to apologize. I became absorbed in my life and only updated in short sittings where I could only squeeze out a sentence or two of creative juice. I promise that I will try and get out my next chapter in a couple weeks. It will be difficult as I write during my exams but if I see that I still have a sufficient amount of readers who still want me to continue then I will. If not, I will sigh and resign my self to the fact that I brought it upon my self and will update crazily.