Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Melody of Oblivion ❯ Hatred ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Melody of Oblivion
By Kitsune Yarisha
 
A/N: It's been four years since the defeat of the Dark Lord, and the man-who-lived has just woken from a long coma. He can remember everything aside from some minor people. He knows he's the one who defeated Voldemort but the last thing he can remember from the night of his victory puzzles him. A pale-skinned, blonde haired teenage male running towards him. Who is he? H/D
 
 
Chapter Three: Hatred
 
“Hatred comes from the heart; contempt from the head; and neither feeling is quite within our control.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
 
--
 
Leaning back in his chair, Draco huffed in annoyance as he caught his mind wandering again.
 
On his computer screen a document lay opened to a recent chapter he was writing for his biography series `Markus Milaius Malfoy'.
 
He turned his eyes on the screen once more, compelling himself to focus on the words he was reading backwards in hopes of finding errors.
 
Markus Milaius Malfoy
…Better known for his music compositions and violin sonatas. Markus was even good friends with the Italian composer Guiseppe Tartini. In fact, the duo worked together on the amazing violin sonata called “Devil's Trill”, though that knowledge wasn't disclosed. Markus made sure that Tartini got full credit for the astounding piece, since his own part in the composition was minimal and only including the last few ending bars of music. However, it was rumored that Tartini wrote the sonata after selling his soul to the devil and making a pact with the devil, because the idea came to him after he had a dream of the devil playing the original piece. “Devil's Trill” remains to this day once of the most difficult pieces of violin music to play. Even Markus Malfoy was unable to fully master the piece although he was a violin protégée.
 
Before his own death, Markus completed a lengthy work known as “Melody of Oblivion”. The story follows as the love his life, a woman named Catherine, found out about Markus's love for her on the very day she was to marry his brother, Count Russell Malfoy. Over the ten years she had known Markus, she was oblivious to all his efforts to woo her and marry her. Finding beauty even in such a bothersome thing, Markus set to writing “Melody Of Oblivion” for her wedding gift. It was a love sonata in G major preformed by his apprentice on the wedding night, who moved on to be very well known. He was disowned from the Malfoy family two years before his death in 1773.
 
The sound of something hitting the glass behind him, rather hard too, pulled Draco from his thoughts.
 
He turned and broke into a smile.
 
An old, brown colored owl sat on the window ledge looking dazed as it shook its head.
 
He opened the window and lifted the owl inside, placing the poor thing on his table. “You foolish bird, my windows aren't that clean,” he mocked it, chuckling.
 
The bird nipped at his fingers, its feathers ruffling at the insult. It stuck out its leg angrily.
 
“A letter? From Granger, I bet, considering she sent you.” He untied the letter as he fed the owl a treat for even making it this far from the borrow to the manor.
 
My friend,
 
It's been a while since I wrote. I hope your not treating Ron's owl badly as you read this! Anyway, I wrote to you to invite you to something. It is a Hogwarts reunion. You will probably be one of the few Slytherins to be invited, of course, considering. Blaise and Pansy should be coming. I did invite them after all, but then again… Well it's going to be a month from now at Hogwarts (during the summer so we don't have to worry about disrupting any studies!!) starting from twelve and ending at midnight. It's casual so don't go buying a suit or anything, you rich rich man! Oh, and don't tell anyone but… Ron invited Harry, Draco. Just thought you should know.
 
A Messenger,
Hermione Weasley
 
Draco read that last bit again, confused. “They invited Harry to a reunion? So soon!?”
 
Although the prospect of seeing Harry Potter again was quite a nice one, he was much more worried about the younger man's health after…what happened.
 
Draco growled. If Voldemort were still alive, he would hunt him down and kill the bastard with his own aristocratic hands. How he hated Voldemort for what he did to Harry.
 
He sighed and resigned himself to allowing what was going to happen just happen. He dipped his quill into some freshly opened ink and began his reply.
 
--
 
He searched through his family heirlooms for something adequate.
 
Perhaps it should be a ring? No, definitely not good enough to welcome back Harry.
 
His hand swiped angrily, parting the sea of jewels in two. He growled in frustration.
 
“That's not good enough!” He whined at Blaise as his friend held up the particular item.
 
He smiled. It was just like before, when he had courted Harry.
 
The sound of music trickled into his thoughts.
 
A room filled with strangers, he and his other danced near one another, their dates dresses flowing before them as they caught each other's eye. Silver-blue met emerald-green.
 
The violins playing shocked him from his stupor. “Is that Markus's?” Draco mumbled to himself, following the music with his long aristocratic fingers.
 
A pure gold necklace with a musical locket, charmed to play a love piece for all of its eternities.
 
“That melody sounds so…familiar,” Draco noted to himself, his voice echoing in hushed whispers through the tiny empty space of the vault.
 
Then it hit him full on, leaving him smiling.
 
Draco closed the jewel chest tightly; locking it with the large brass key he had kept in his other hand. He dropped the musical locket into his breast pocket before he locked up the vaults and left.
 
A perfect gift for his oblivious love, no?
 
Draco hummed all the way back to his own room, earning frightened stares from the house elves. He disappeared into his room, locking himself within and others without.
 
--
 
Weeks had gone by.
 
He debated with himself, wondering if he should write a letter to his love. No, better not to. He would have to court him like he hadn't done before. No letters or poems this go around.
 
“I'll probably have to mail it…” Draco murmured to himself.
 
Wizards stop in the middle of the street staring in awe at the handsome, lean and slender form of Draco Lucius Malfoy walking casually down the Diagon Alley. Witches swooned in place.
 
Draco ignored them, trekking down to the post office. He took a short cut through an empty alley. “Perhaps this will be easier,” he mumbled to himself, barely stirring the sleeping shadows at his feet.
 
“Oh my goodness, look! It's Harry Potter!” The comment drifted back to him from near the front of the alley. A female no doubt.
 
He sped up.
 
“Aldon? Aldon, where are you?”
 
Draco's heart sped up with his step. He knew that voice. Suddenly someone came around the corner and walked straight into him. “Ouf!” A sharp insult was on his tongue, ready for firing as he looked down at the person who dared walk into him.
 
“I-I'm sorry. I was looking for someone and I…” Stuttered the stranger, looking up with emerald green eyes into his own.
 
“Harry?” Draco asked in a gasp. Those eyes…he could drown in those beautiful green eyes.
 
Looking up in confusion, Harry cocked his head to the side, before going around Draco. “I have to find my friend! Good-bye, sir!” He took off running.
 
Stifling a gasp, Draco watched him run off. “I guess it's one thing to know and one thing to see first hand.” Harry really didn't remember him at all.
 
He continued walking, now crestfallen.
 
“Mr. Potter, sir?”
 
Draco looked up to see a tall, silver haired man. “Excuse me? Are you Aldon?”
 
The man looked down at him. “Yes.”
 
“I know, uh, Potter and I just saw him. I believe he apparated.”
 
Aldon nodded and bowed to Draco. “Thank you. Is there anything I could do for you?”
 
Convenient. “There is one thing. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you give this to Potter. It's rather important,” Draco said as he placed the wrapped box into Aldon's hand. “Thank you very much.” He watched as Aldon disappeared among the crowd.
 
“Quiet fellow…” Draco mused.
 
Well, at least he had gotten a way to transport his gift to Harry. Draco smiled and disappeared with a pop.
 
--
 
“Fuck,” Draco hissed as he searched through his closet to prepare his clothing in advance. There was nothing he wanted to wear!
 
He huffed in annoyance and abandoned the task.
 
A house elf appeared and asked quietly, “Does sir need `nything from the elves?” He looked as if he had been sent by one of the human workers in the manor in their place.
 
Draco gave him a bored look and shook his head. “I don't think so, Dobby.”
 
Dobby fidgeted and bowed before popping away in the uniquely annoying way only house elves could.
 
Granger still hated him for having an elvin work force but he pointed out that human servants helped the elves with their chores and duties. She had grudgingly let it slide because Harry hadn't really minded much.
 
He propped his chin on his palm as he stared blankly at the window.
 
It was such a lovely day. The rain trickled rhythmically outside his open window, filling the room with the smell of fresh water. The sky was gray and black, filled with sagging clouds of precipitation. Plants reached up and down, stretching to find sunlight and gather the heaven sent water from the soaked dirt they reside in.
 
Draco smiled faintly. His nurse had always smelled of rain, as if the tiny house she lived in when she wasn't as Malfoy Manor was always drenched. When he was four, Draco got her to entertain the idea that she washed her clothing in rainwater.
 
Not long after, she did for real. Her clothes smelled of nature. It was something Draco couldn't get enough of, like the smell of his lover, lavender and vanilla.
 
He was shook out of his reprieve as his mind itched with the thought that he hadn't remembered to do something early. He shook himself of the thought as he stood and entered the study room.
 
Books upon books lined the walls. Every single wall had at least five hundred books on them, seeing how large the walls were it wasn't much of a stretch.
 
In the span of his lifetime, Draco had only managed to read at least one wall. He had dubbed it the Potion Book Wall.
 
He grabbed a book on Wolfs bane on a whim. Flipping through it, he grinned as he remembered how he had made a stronger potion for Remus after hours of pouring over this book and different veils.
 
His subconscious tugged at his memory again. What had he forgotten?
 
Suddenly, Draco frowned. “I didn't tell that Aldon fellow my name!”
 
 
To Be Continued…
 
Notes: Well, here we are once again. Um, I'm so sorry this chapter is so short. School, unfortunately has started once again so…yeah. Plus, I'm trying to impress the guy I like so I plot during my writer's blocks. >< I have problems, I know.
 
In other news, I would so love a BETA for this story. It would make me very happy. I don't think I'm a very good writer, so an older FF.net member would be embraced, especially someone who is a very good writer. But…I don't think anyone with talent would read my stuff so…. *Sniff* Well, if anyone would like to help me, or knows a good BETA please email me. I new to the whole BETA thing so you may have to explain things.
 
Well that's is for now. I will try to write a longer chapter next time! Please, continue reading.