Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets of Light and Dark ❯ Detention ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ron was late for class. Professor McGonagall eyed him suspiciously and set her spoon on the table. “You're late,” she said to him.
 
“Sorry professor,” said Ron.
 
The old lady stared at him. “You will be joining the forest in detention tonight,” she said.
 
“Yes ma'am,” he said. Ron took his seat beside Kathryn. Harry had a seat somewhere near the back because no one had left him one.
 
Kathryn pulled the seat out for Ron. “Oops,” said Ron to her laughing a little.
 
Kellie sat in her seat in the Mystical Creatures class. Draco sat beside her on the long table with old wooden chairs lined up all across it. She looked over to him, putting her hand up to whisper in his ear. “What time does this class end?” she whispered.
 
“I don't know,” he whispered back. Their teacher obviously saw them carry a conversation while he was trying to teach the rest of the class how to make an animal turn into an opposite species.
 
“Malfoy and Wakefield,” shouted the old man. “I'll see you in detention.”
 
After the day was over with, Ron, Kellie, and Draco headed to the front of the school to await their punishment. They heard footsteps running across the hall. They looked back to find Kathryn running to them. She put her finger to her lips and grinned. “I want to go with you,” she said smiling.
 
“But Kathryn,” said Kellie, “there are wolves, spiders, and maybe even bears.”
 
“Don't make it worse than it already is,” said Ron nervously. He looked over to Kathryn. “Go back to the dorms, Kathryn. You didn't do anything to get this.”
 
“No Ron,” she said, “I want to be with you.”
 
Ron's heart fluttered. He'd found his new best friend. He never remembered Harry or Hermione skipping their only free time to sleep on the cold hard forest floor with him. He had never remembered them wanting detention with him. He smiled and spoke softly. “If you insist,” he said.
 
Professor McGonagall marched to the doors, ready to lead them to Hadgred, who will leave them in the forest and return for them the next morning. She looked over to Kathryn. “I don't remember filing you,” she said to her.
 
“Oh,” Kathryn began, “Professor Snape sent me, ma'am.”
 
There was a moment of silence. “Alright then,” she said, breaking the silence, “Hadgred is right out there and he'll lead you where you need to go.”
 
The four teens marched outside, where it was dark, and met up with Hadgred. “My three favorite students!” he said to Ron, Kathryn, and Kellie. Draco snorted and rolled his eyes. “How'd you get this?”
 
“Well sir,” Kellie began, “Draco and I talked and Ron was late,” she said with a smile.
 
Hadgred looked over to Kathryn. “How'd you get it? You were always good, he said surprised.
 
“I didn't,” she said, “I wanted to sneak out here to stay with Ron and my sister.” She looked at him with pleading eyes. “Please let me stay, Hadgred…”
 
Hadgred rubbed the back of his head. “Okay. I know how you and your sister never see each other, so I'll let you stay. As for you and Ron here, I don't know what's going on there, but I can tell you now I probably don't want to know.”
 
“It's not like that!” spat Ron. “We're just friends… close friends… but nothing like THAT.”
 
Hadgred shook his head and smiled. “Follow me,” he said. The four students followed after him.
 
After a short while, Hadgred had led them into the depths of the forbidden forest. They were to stay there over night without luggage. All they had was a lantern.
 
“Well, god luck,” said Hadgred. “I'll be here in the morning to take you back to the school.” He walked back to his hut, where he slept the rest of the night.
 
“Great,” said Draco, “now we're stuck out here without heat or food or anything. Wait until my father here's about this…”
 
“It'll be okay,” said Kellie to Draco.
 
“Okay?! How will it be okay?! Now we have to sleep with the spiders and the wombats. What if there's a werewolf or an animagus around here?”
 
Kathryn flinched when she heard the word “animagus”. She shook her head and grimaced and put her arms around herself, pretending to act like she was cold.
 
“Kathryn, I really wish you hadn't of come… What if you get sick? What if you get EATEN?” Ron asked.
 
“It's for your sake…” she said. “I came here because of you. I don't want to leave you out here all by yourself with my crazy sister; I want to be with you…” Kellie snorted, but then chuckled.
 
Ron couldn't help but smile. He rubbed her shoulder assuming she was cold, judging that she was shaking and her teeth were clattering. “Here, take this,” he said giving her his cloak. She nodded her head in a thanking way because she couldn't talk over her shaking and clattering. She slipped it on over her shoulders. It drug on the ground slightly as she walked along with Ron to find a place to sit. It was nearly the end of fall and it was cold. Kathryn watched as her breath floated in the freezing air.
 
“I feel bad,” she said to Ron.
 
“Why?” he asked.
 
“Because I was stupid enough to take the cloak,” she said taking it off.
 
“But I offered that to you, If I didn't want you to wear it then I would have kept it,” he said. “Keep it on, you'll freeze to death.” Ron and Kathryn sat on a log that was rotting, but still in good tact.
 
“Then what will you have?” she asked, concerned.
 
“You,” he laughed, “I'm going to skin you alive and wear you next Christmas,” he said jokingly. They heard wolves howl from the far distance. Ron shivered and scooted in closer, making Kathryn giggle. “What's so funny?” he asked.
 
“Wolves; they won't hurt you. They're just misunderstood. As long as you don't cause a threat or you don't hurt them in any way, they'll be fine to you,” she said. “Wolves will barely come to anyone, anyway.”
 
“Oh,” he said. “Pretty obvious I guess…”
 
“Alright you two,” said Kellie, barging into the scene uninvited, “Break it up, break it up. Look, we're stuck out here with no FOOD, no WATER, no HEAT… Kathryn, where'd you get the cloak?”
 
“Oh,” she said, “umm, it's his…”
 
Kellie stared for a moment. “Alright then,” she blurted. “Kathryn, where're you sleeping?”
 
“Here, I guess.”
 
“Ron?”
 
“Why?”
 
“Cause I want to know!”
 
“I don't know; does it matter?”
 
“As long as you're not planning to sleep with my sister, then no.”
 
“I WOULDN'T DO THAT! You've got one nasty mind…”
 
“What's going on here?” asked Draco coming into the scene also. “Oh, I see. Who wouldn't make a fuss over that filthy piece of rub- OH SHHH!!!” he exclaimed while running away, noticing Kathryn was right next to Ron. Kathryn threw a rock at him, making him stop.
 
“Hey!” she yelled at him, “He's cleaner than you'll ever be! You're filthy! It's all coming from that mouth of yours, Malfoy!”
 
Kellie rolled her eyes and sighed. “Draco, shut it or I'll slap you SO hard-”
 
“Why'd you even come out here?! To be with your `Lover-Boy' over there?!” mouthed Draco.
 
“Hey, we're not in love!” she mouthed back.
 
“Draco!”
 
“Listen Malfoy; back it off because if you don't, you're going to see a lot more than just blood on your face. And plus, I know the secret between that dirty father of yours and the dark Lord-” Kathryn was interrupted by a hand grabbing on to her neck and being shoved against the tree behind her.
 
Just before Draco could do anything more, Ron rose up off the log and ran to her place. He knocked Draco's hand off Kathryn's neck and stood in front of her. He grabbed the collar of Draco's shirt. “Back off!” exclaimed Ron.
 
“I can't stand you, you filthy-” just then, he grabbed a hold of the collar of Ron's shirt, forcing him to let go. He tossed him down on the crunchy leaves and jumped on top of him. Ron squeezed Draco's hand on the vein, making him wince. Ron smiled at Draco in an evil-like way while he was gasping for breath. Draco clocked Ron in the side of the cheek, but Kathryn jumped in as well. She jumped on top of Draco and bit the back of his shoulder, hard, drawing blood from the surface. He growled in pain and rose up off the ground to slap her off. She fell on the ground, wincing in pain as she did so.
 
Kellie punched Draco across the face and held him up right. “I TELL YOU, HURT ONE MORE SOUL AND YOU'LL SEE JUST WHAT HAPPENS!!! GOT THAT?!” she bellowed released him by shoving him away. “You're despicable! You're a brat. You know that?! A spoiled rotten little brat! Touch one more hair on Kathryn's head, I'll show no mercy!”
 
“Ron! Ron, are you okay???” Kathryn crawled over to him and held his head in her lap. She ran her fingers across his swollen cheek. He opened one eye and looked at her.
 
“Why'd you do that?” he asked faintly.
 
“What do you mean?” she asked concerned.
 
“Well, you always stand up for me and I thought I could do it for you for once,” he said to her in a sad way. He winced in pain at the knot on his cheekbone.
 
“Nonsense,” she said smiling lightly, “you know I'd do anything for you. You're my best friend.”
 
Ron widened his eyes, but before he could say anything, Kathryn helped him off the ground. “Thanks Kathryn, I-” Ron smiled and shook his head, “Never mind…”
 
After Draco had stormed off somewhere and Kellie had left somewhere to find something to drink, Kathryn stayed with Ron. They had sat down again from where they were before. She looked at his cheek again. “It's swelling up pretty good,” she said to him. “Do you want something for that?” she asked him kindly.
 
“Na, it's okay. I'm fine, really.” He said, easing her down a little.
 
“Hey, um, thanks for standing up for me back there,” she said smiling. She began to choke back her tears. “I know it's my fault you're hurt like this… I shouldn't have barged in… but I was just trying to help …”
 
“Nah Kathryn it's not your fault at all…” he said soothing her emotions.
 
She looked up at him, making the knot in her throat tighter. She couldn't hold back her tears. She hugged him tightly and cried on his shoulder. He felt sorrowful himself. She buried her nose in the side of his neck. Ron wrapped her tighter in his cloak since the weather was getting colder by the minute. He smiled. He had never met anyone quite so lovely…
 
Ron and Kathryn soon fell asleep. Ron slept on the ground along with Kathryn. They were at least two yards apart. Kathryn heard the leaves crunch and she sat up slowly. A big black wolf stood before her. She put her hand on the side of its face. “Find anything?” she whispered, trying not to wake Ron.
 
“No,” it said in sympathy. “I'm sorry,”
 
“It's alright,” said Kathryn to the wolf, “it's just until morning anyway.”
 
Ron had overheard the conversation in his dreams. He woke up in a long instant. His eyes narrowed. Kathryn gasped and looked back at him.
 
Ron pointed to the wolf and started shouting. “KATHRYN, BEHIND YOU LOOK OUT!!!” he exclaimed in a teary frightened voice. The wolf crouched down and ran away back into the woods.
 
“Shh, Ron! Ron, its okay!” she whispered harshly above his screaming. Ron finally eased down, but was shaking fiercely from the shock and the cold. He grabbed a hold of her arm.
 
“But-but but that- the wolf was- but” Ron stuttered.
 
Kellie and Draco came running to their place. Draco stopped and snorted. “The weasel chickened out,” he said in disgust.
 
“For a good reason!” she snarled back, having her hand on Ron's shoulder. “Go away; I've had enough of you today.”
 
“Enough of me? I'd figure you'd had enough of him. You're only with him twenty-four seven,” he spat. His snooty smile made her burn with hate. Kathryn began to growl. As her growl got throatier, Kellie glanced over to her, seeming to prevent her from doing something.
 
Kathryn sighed with anger. “You shouldn't talk rubbish to someone just because they don't share your family line,” she said, “your family line from Hell.”
 
“Tch,” Draco spat, smiling sarcastically, “like you know anything about my family line.” He looked up at the forest tops. “My family has been in the house of Slytherin for generations and years to come; all full-blooded wizards. Since when was the last time anyone in your bloodline was a wizard or went to this very school?” Kathryn glared at him with hurt and anger. “I thought so,” he continued, “you're parents were nothing but filthy muggles.”
 
“Hey! There's nothing wrong with muggles!” exclaimed Ron. Kellie said the same also.
 
Kathryn lowered her head, hurting. “My parents... are more than yours will ever be...” she said. That is all she had to say. She began to walk away slowly, keeping her head down in sadness. A single tear rolled down her face as she continued to walk, dripping on a dead leaf on the forest floor. Ron followed after her, giving Draco a mean glare before he did so.
 
“Kathryn, wait...” said Ron softly as he caught up to her. She said nothing. “That's just the way Malfoy is, he probably doesn't even know what he's talking about,” he said to her in sympathy.
 
Kathryn snapped. “HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!!!” she exclaimed in tears. “EXPELLIOMUS!!!” she shouted, aiming her wand toward Draco, shooting the wand out of his hand even though he wasn't doing anything. He looked back to her, but she just stormed forward in tears with Ron following after her.