Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Dream ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
9

They arrived back at Hellsing manor late in the night. Integra and Walter where waiting beside the landing pad for them. As the vampires exited the helicopter, Integra eyed Tobias suspiciously. He looked back at her blankly. When Tobias had woken up on the helicopter, before they arrived, Julia made the unpleasant discovery of how Tobias had found a way to save his own sanity.

He had apparently forgotten almost everything. He could remember her, but he called her master as if he where still bound to her. He understood he was a vampire and that Julia had sired him but not the circumstances around it. He remembered his early childhood in Germany, but refused to recall anything that happened near the war or after. He was acting like a child of about eleven with wide eyed innocents.

He cocked his head to the side curiously meeting Integra’s gaze, as only someone who didn‘t know who she was could. Integra seemed to come to the conclusion that Tobias was probably harmless. “Where will the two of you go now?” she asked Julia.

“They should stay here,” said Alucard almost absently, but Julia could see him trading a look with Integra.

“Alucard why would I want two more vampires at Hellsing? You and Seres are quit sufficient.” Julia considered her situation and realized a bit of courtesy was in order. She had not lived as long as she had without learning when it was necessary to bow in order to ask a favor.

“Sir Integra, I humbly request you allow me and Tobias to stay here for a short time. We are both greatly weakened, and I am unable to protect us. I know of no other safe place to go, and I’ve made an enemy of the Iscarot paladin Anderson.”

The mention of Anderson was enough to gain Integra’s interest. She would not mind sheltering two harmless vampires to spite section 13. “Very well, you and yours are welcome to stay within these walls. Just don’t set up permanent residence, and as long as your here you drink the medical blood we provide. Is that understood?”

“Very clear,” promised Julia.

“Good, then Walter prepare a room for both of them.”

“As you wish, Sir Hellsing. Walter led Julia and Tobias off of the roof and into the building. Julia and Walter walked ahead Tobias a few steps behind them. As they walked Julia asked him. “Can you put me and Tobias in the same room, it might be better if I don’t leave him alone for a while.”

“Certainly,” said Walter glancing at Tobias. He recognized the blank expression he had seen many times on solders after a war, in the mental ward. “He’s suppressing memories?” he asked cautiously.

“I think so. I’m not completely sure if his mind has settled yet. I want to stay here until I get him stable again,” confirmed Julia.

“I hope you can, just keep a close eye on him. The last thing Sir Integra needs is an unstable vampire lose in Hellsing manor.”

“I’ll be careful. By the way Walter I’m afraid I have another favor to ask you.”

“What is it.”

“Can you procure a violin for him?”

“A violin?”

“He was a musician as a human. I think if he could play again it might help him remember and heal.”

“Very well then I’m sure I can get one.”

“Thank you.”

“I am always glad to help an old friend, Angel of Mercy”

“There are times I wish you wouldn’t call me that Walter.” Walter smiled slightly, he had heard Julia say this before.

“But it is what you are. You are neither a monster like Alucard, nor human like me. You show mercy to humans even when it pains you to do so. You’ve been an angel to many a dying solder.”

“I’m no angel, I have survived for hundred of years from the fruits of the darker side of humanity. I have always fed from the freshly spilt blood of battle fields. I may help solders in their passing, but I take my payment of blood as death’s messenger once there spirit is gone.”

Walter sighed and looked at Julia. He knew her well enough to know it was not a good sign when she began to fall back into Shakespearean English, because when she did that she was being philosophical and when she was philosophical she was depressed. For all Julia’s wisdom at times even she was a bit irrational. It seemed to him many vampires almost sought to become angsty and grief ridden, but then again eternity could do strange things to a soul.

“You have always felt guilt for the crimes that are not yours. It is not you who starts the wars, or mortally wounds the solders. Your mercy killings are the kindness humans are incapable of giving to their comrades.” Julia looked at Walter for a long moment, then she reached over and gently patted him on the shoulder.

“Thank you old friend. You speak with the voice of reason to me now. The years have done you well. I can recall when you where not but a foolish youth. Strong and street wise yes, but with so much to learn. You have learned well and grown into a good man.”

“That was all a very long time ago for me, but for you I suppose it was but an instant. You have not changed since I saw you last,” There was a slight touch of sadness in Walters voice.

“It is that way. Time moves about me as I stay frozen. To me human life passes as quickly as the burning down of a taper candle.” Julia’s expression had grown distant, and for a moment Walter saw how motionless in time she truly was. Great Britain might fall, and another nation take its place, but Julia would remain as she always had to watch the flames. She was like the black raven ever present upon each battle field, taking its life from the fallen. Julia would watch many a life be born, live, and die, and yet always stay the same.

“But you will remember me when I am gone, as you remember every human you have known,” Walter said quietly.

“Yes, I will. Many people now exist only in my memory. But let us not talk of such things. In the here and now you are alive and well. I do not need to grieve for the living.” They at last reached the room in the basement of Hellsing that was to be shared by Julia and Tobias.

Walter had called ahead to have two coffins moved into the bare, cold stone room. In the morning he would see to the collection of soil from each of the vampires native lands, as well as some furniture. Though vampires like Alucard did not care for such things, he knew Julia did not like plain rooms, and would want at least a desk and a chair. “I will leave you here now, if you need anything I suspect you know how to find me?” he told Julia.

“Yes Walter, this will be fine. Thank you , I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night.”
Once Walter had left Julia examined the coffin’s, Tobias watching her curiously. They where polished, hard wood, stained black with a soft bedding of blankets inside. She was amazed Walter sill remembered she liked having a blanket and a pillow.

“Tobias you take the one farther from the door.”

“I don’t want to sleep in a coffin!” protested Tobias like a frightened child. Julia glanced at him in surprise. Though she remembered him hating coffins when he was first turned, he had gotten over that quickly.

“You need to Tobias. You’ll recover more faster that way,” she told him firmly. His soft eyes looked hurt.

“please,” he begged desperation on the edge of his voice. Julia sighed. Tobias really had reverted back to his old nature, she knew he was really stronger than this. Well if he was going to act like a child she would have to treat him as one.

“Alright, you can sleep on the floor,” she said throwing him the blanket and pillow from the coffin. Tobias took them and curled up like an injured animal trembling slightly at the loneliness of the room and darkness of the shadows. Julia glanced at the welcoming coffin. It had been far to long since she had slept in one, but Tobias need her. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to baby him just tonight, he’d been through a lot.

Julia lay down beside Tobias pulling him close to her, cradling him against her, like a mother holding her child. Tobias calmed resting his head on her shoulder. Julia sang to him softy, whispering a nonsense lullaby in German.

Tobias slept peacefully at last. Julia watched her fledgling slumber. She could recall having to hold him like this for almost the first year after she had turned him, while his mind and soul where still healing. Perhaps this was why he was so attached to her, and had taken so long to break away on his own.

She had babied him too much, and become like the mother he had lost. But Tobias had, in his own good time, grown strong. When they had parted ways ten years ago she had left him playing his fiddle on street corners in Venice. Tobias had been well able to stand on his own two feet and get along without her. She could only hope he could find that strength again. She murmured one last line of the lullaby before falling into the sweet oblivion of repose.
“Oh my poor child. sleep now in peace, for the dawn comes far too soon.”
---------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

Julia hurried homeward along shadowy, lamp lit streets of London. Though her mind was sill upon the memory of Mary’s lips against her own, she knew to keep a wary eye out for pick pocket and other more evil things that stalked the night.

It was then out of the corner of her eye she noticed that two men where following her. They both looked like wealthy young aristocrats, but there was something terrible in their red eyes. Julia knew enough to realize they where vampires. She did not run, for she knew it would be useless. She pulled the two silver daggers from her coat and kept walking.

The footsteps behind her began to quicken and as they drew near, she whirled around trembling to face her foes. She was met by the back of Alucard’s red coat. He stood protecting her, facing the two vampires.

He was laughing, mocking them for being foolish enough to try and harm a human under his protections. The two vampires began to back away Then Alucard lunged forward capturing one and tearing his head off. The other stumbled and fell to the ground trembling.

Suddenly Alucard froze, his eyes distant. “Mary!” he whispered and vanished. The young vampire raced to the body of his fallen comrade and knelt beside it. Julia began to slowly back away daggers at ready. Then the vampire turned to look at her with pain and hatred in his eyes.

He was in front of her in a second his own knife drawn. Julia tried to fight him off, but a few months of training where not enough to keep up with his speed and strength. After all she was only a human girl fighting an immortal. He saw his opening and stabbed her in the stomach. Julia dropped the silver daggers from her hand as she slowly sank to the ground. She knew already the wound would be fatal.

The vampire grabbed her roughly by the hair slamming her against the wall. “I’ll kill you for revenge against Hellsing, that bloody Alucard who killed Jack,” he yelled in her face. Julia could only guess the dead vampire was Jack. There was a tint of lunacy in the vampires eyes.

Julia struggled though her strength was fading. Attempts where useless against the iron grip that held her. The vampire took his knife and began to trace it across Julia’s neck and shoulders. Then he began to make short quick jabs. Not enough to kill her any quicker, but terribly painful.

Finally he ceased and began to lap at the blood from the wounds. “You’re a virgin,” he mumbled. “I won’t bite you. I want you to die slowly now, so your lover can find your mangled corpse.”

Julia tried to struggle again but it was useless, even if the vampire released her she would still die. She could feel her life slipping away slowly with every drop of blood. She was fading fast. The unbearable pain had dulled into numbness. Suddenly, she felt herself being released and falling to the ground.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Alucard tearing apart her assailant. Slowly she curled up into a ball around the deep wound in her gut. She had always hoped to be able to face death with honor, or at least sitting up, but it hurt too much.

Even though she could feel the coldness overcoming her, she still tried to stem the flow of the last drops of her life blood. She close her eyes. She was so tired all she wanted to do was sleep forever. She hadn’t done anything truly terrible in her life, surely paradise or at least limbo awaited her.

As if from a hundred miles away she heard Alucard kneel beside her and gently lift her head up. “Do you wish to die as a mortal,” he asked his voice holding neither sadness nor hope.
“I’m so tired let me rest,” she mumbled.

“I can change you into a vampire so you can live on” he offered, “you wish to remain with Mary do you not.” Alucard’s words cut through the thick fog that had enshrouded her mind. Paradise meant nothing too Julia if it meant leaving Mary. She could not abandon her dear one to the cold duty of Hellsing. As she had always need Mary, and Mary needed her.

“Please, let me stay with Mary,” she whispered her vision growing dark. Alucard needed no more prompting. He bit deep into her neck and drank a few drops of the last of the blood left in her. Julia fell into blackness.
----------------------------------------------

Julia woke up with a start, for a moment not knowing where she was. Then the sight of the stone walls of the room reminded her. She sat up, careful not to disturb Tobias. She was still shaking from the dream and tears of blood where drying on her face. It was that day wasn’t it, the anniversary of her death. She always had that damn dream on this day, always.Converting /tmp/phpcxMRKB to /dev/stdout