Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Contesting Results ❯ White On White ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: Hojo.

Pairing/Interaction: Arthur Hellsing and Alucard.

Setting: Previous to Hellsing: The Dawn.

----

White on White

Alucard opened the door and walked into the office. That alone would be enough to startle most members of the Hellsing Organization, as Alucard more often chose to appear behind you and speak into your ear. Arthur, however, was a bit more stalwart and a bit less sane than most members of the organization he ran. It took more than the random appearance of his family's pet nosferatu to startle him, fearless as he was in his family's service of King and Country.

And yet Arthur found himself startled, not by one sort of appearance, but by another. Rather than the look of the Victorian gentleman that Alucard had worn unchangingly and anachronistically for all of Arthur's life, the vampire today wore the facade of a young man, barely more than a child. His suit was white instead of black, still smartly tailored, but of a more modern cut... only about twenty years out of date, rather than forty. His hair was straight and much longer, and instead of his top hat he wore a small fuzzy thing that Arthur might have mistaken for a lost pet in other circumstances.

"I've been hearing reports that you fed on at least one member of the help during the last blackout, Alucard..." Arthur began strongly, but his voice died away as his eyes met the vampire's large, dark eyes. Even they seemed different, though the age and malevolence behind them was unchanged.

"Is something wrong, Master?" Alucard asked. His voice was more quiet, a golden tenor instead of an imposing bass.

Arthur was quite startled to find himself, well, startled by this unexpected development. "Why the change in costume, nosferatu?" he asked, turning discomfort into a forceful attitude.

"I thought you might appreciate it," he answered, looking up in such a way that his eyes were just barely visible beneath short bangs.

"Why?" Arthur struggled to keep his voice even. The room seemed unbearably warm, but he knew it wasn't, and knew also what this meant.

Alucard looked away, almost demure. "I took note of the way you look at your new toy, your angel of death. I also took note of the fact that you won't touch him."

"You --" And in moments, Arthur was over the desk, righteous anger and gymnastic training propelling him. "How dare you--"

"--Say such things?" Alucard finished, looking up at him with a look of innocence that Arthur knew to be a front.

"Yes..." Arthur growled, his voice short with frustration.

"Because you want to hear them."

Arthur found himself reaching for the buttons on Alucard's shirt and, knowing it was better than the alternative, let himself believe the lie of innocence that the vampire's face told.