Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Contesting Results ❯ Different Demons ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: KharBevNor

Pairing/Interaction: Yumi(ko) Takagi and Seras Victoria

----

Different Demons

She scrutinised the young nun from across the train station, over-keen eyes shielded from the evening sun by thick ray-ban sunglasses. She seemed demure, polite, helping an old lady with her luggage, stepping aside for a mother with a pram. Such is the way of these Iscariots, she told herself. My master is a monster all the time, but these people, like me, are only monsters when the need to be. Even so, looking at the young girl in holy garb, she couldn't believe that this was the person she had seen described in the reports she had read on the bus over. Decapitated...sliced in half from head to groin...The girl smiled and blessed a small child as it ran past her.She shook her head...this was all wrong, like so many things. She needed to see the beast inside this smiling holy-woman, or she simply could not believe it was there. Even after all this time, she refused to see the evil in something without proof.

The nun stepped into the station cafeteria. Suddenly, Seras was following her, striding purposefully through the station, moving in such a way as she was seemingly un-noticeable, a young woman in a plain jumper and trousers, heavy sunglasses and untidy hair, only of interest to certain men, and then only a part of her. She was soon at the door of the caf?, scanning it. As she had hoped, the place was packed in the rush-hour, and with a little application of her considerable strength in shouldering through the queues, she soon found herself standing over the cassocked woman, a cup of tea in her hands.

"I'm sorry, may I sit here?"

The young catholic looked up from the book she was reading."Oh, why of course...

"Seras seated herself, and took a few polite sips of her coffee before trying to open up the conversation.

"I didn't know you got Japanese nuns."

"My mother was American, she converted my father."

"Ah, I see...A devout family I suppose?"

"Oh yes, very, that's why I felt called to my duties with the mother church..." She turned from her book, "Not meaning to be preachy, but are you religious at all?"

"A bit, C of E, I suppose."

"Ah, of course..."

"But I mean, it's all the same God, isn't it?"

"Yes...I suppose...I..."

She seemed to cut herself off, as if deliberately not wanting to debate religion. Seras tried another tack.

"So, what brings you to England then?"

"A church humanitarian scheme. Helping those in distress."

"Oh really? I'm in the business of helping people as well. Maybe our paths will cross again?"

The young nun looked up. Her face suddenly looked very tired and weary.

"I very much hope not, Nosferatu Victoria." She finished her coffee and stood up, closing the book. "You seem nice...for a demon...I wouldn't want to be made to hurt you."

Seras was agape.

"I..."

"Not all demons in this world are of Satan's creation. Some we make ourselves, I..."

She stopped, and Seras noticed that her hand was clasped firmly round the table knife."Please go...I don't want to have to fight you...even if you might kill me. Killing is a sin and there is too much sin, a sum of plenty to which I myself have added far too much...go...Anderson will be here soon to pick me up anyway...please..."

At the name Anderson Seras eyes widened, and, finishing her tea with a gulp, she stood and moved off, with only a single backwards glance at the bright young girl, her brow drenched with sweat, who was ever so slowly bending the metal knife in half.