Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Contesting Results ❯ The Midnight Oil ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: KharBevNor

Pairing/Interaction: Enrico Maxwell and Alexander Anderson

----

The Midnight Oil

The clock struck two with a great ponderous beat. Good heavens, was that the time? Enrico looked up from the mass of papers on his desk, and squinted against the faint light of the lamps. He cursed mildly under his breath, automatically crossing himself as he did so. So late, and still so much to do. Damn, why must a secret church organisation require so much infernal documentation?

He bent down to his work again, only to be brought up again by the sound of his study door opening. Squinting without his glasses, he saw it was Anderson, and he appeared to be carrying something.

The Paladin crossed the room almost gracefully, and he saw to his astonishment that the item the holy knight carried was not more work, but a tray of tea, and indeed, biscuits. He looked up surprised.

"For me, Father Anderson?"

"Aye, Father Maxwell, I thought ye could probably do wit? a break from your duties."

The Paladin took a step back, and watched, nervously as the senior churchman snapped the first of the digestives in half.

"Oh dear...but there's only one cup Father Anderson..."

"It wouldn't be fitting sir..."

"Oh no, please, I insist...have a biscuit at least..."

Anderson picked up one of the plain biscuits almost tentatively, an astonishing gesture from someone as brutal looking as he, and took a cautious bite.

"I just thought..." He began, then stopped. "Well, it grieves me to see you work so hard, sir...you always seem tired. It dinnae seem right that one with an office as high as yourself...what I mean is..." He fumbled. Maxwell watched in astonishment. This was the man who could quote every passage of the bible in context, the kindly uncle to an orphanage of young boys, the master of the savage taunt to his foe, the quick debater, the righteous sermoniser...speechless? Never, in his whole time working with him, had Maxwell seen the man at a loss for words.
"Are you...feeling alright father?"

"I'm fine!" He snapped back. "Perfect!" His eyes darted around the room as Maxwell took his first sip. "Very nice, father, did you make this yourself?"

"Aye..."

"How uncommonly kind of you! Let never an act of Christian charity go unrewarded..." He reached for a piece of paper on his desk, and scribbled something on it quickly with his pen. "There, I?ve released you from your duties to Iscariot for tomorrow. Take the orphans somewhere nice." He beamed at the exorcist.

Anderson took the piece of paper, and then turned, and hurried out the room.

"Wonders will never cease, praise God." Murmured Enrico as he sipped again at the excellent tea, already feeling much more awake and ready to tackle the nightmare of his In-tray.Outside the office door, Anderson leaned against the wall. His hands were over his face and he seemed to be moaning a single word softly over and over again.
"Filthy...Filthy...Filthy...Filthy...Filthy..."