Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Contesting Results ❯ Fade To Dust ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: Thess.

Pairing/Interaction: Queen Elizabeth II and Alucard.

Setting: After the meeting in vol. 4.

----

Fade to Dust

Queen Elizabeth II had been restless that night after the meeting, concerned by the fate of her country if the nazis were back. She remembered World War II. At times she closed her eyes and could hear the people screaming, the despair in the air, the smoke filling her nostrils. The news were far from good.

"A penny for your thoughts, Tillabeth?"

A smile crossed her aged features, gaze falling on the red cloaked vampire who was standing next to her armchair.

"That would be unfair. You can read my mind, Alucard."

The vampire grinned at the old ruler, not smugly, maniacal or sarcastic but a smile reserved only for her, decades had passed but he didn't forget. Neither did she.

"Have you received my gift? When Integra told me that we were to meet with you, I captured it on my way to the airport."

Elizabeth nodded, bending down to the coffee table to pick up a heavy book. She opened it, revealing a dead butterfly, its wings were orange and black with white spots.

"I have. I must admit your taste for souvenirs is odd."

"Perhaps but quite fitting." Alucard reached for the dead insect, taking it on his palm.

"How so?"

"Do you know the butterfly name?"

"I haven't got the time to look up…"

"Don't bother. It's Lycorea cleobaea, the Tiger-Queen."

Elizabeth laughed, eyeing the vampire with mischief.

"And since when you have become an expert in that field?"

"I haven't. One of the humans I… ate used to have the hobby."

His smirk turned malicious for a second.

"I'm aware of that, I watched it in B.B.C. The Brazilian government is making a fuss…"

"I couldn't care less for mortal matters. In any case, I chose the butterfly because it remind me of you."

The laugh ceased, instead Elizabeth lifted an eyebrow, curious.

"Oh? Please, enlighten me."

Alucard chuckled, a finger stroke the butterfly as he talked.

"Apart from both being beautiful rulers?"

"Flattering won't make me order to Sir Hellsing to free you, Alucard."

"Such shame. You'd have owned the City of the Impaled if she set me free. A great touristic attraction that would make."

"A tragic loss indeed. That was all?"

Alucard tossed the butterfly to the book, looking down Elizabeth with the closest he could achieve of a fond expression.

"I just wondered if you'll remain as beautiful and regal as the butterfly once you're dead. If we could keep you like that to remember."

Elizabeth grimaced, taking the insect between her fingers, rubbing the wings idly.

"I doubt it. This butterfly has no wings to fly, nor fancy dust to display. Nor any offer to accept. The embers of war would incinerated her into nothingness."

Alucard inclined his head, distancing himself from her, starting to vanish into the shadows. Even with the eternal smirk plastered in his lips, Elizabeth could tell he was disappointed.

"A pity."

Elizabeth threw the butterfly to the fireplace, watching it burn in the flames.

"Don't pity her. With no regrets she'll fade to dust."