Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Dance Of The Dead ❯ Past Endeavors ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT in any way profit from this story, nor do the characters belong to me. All creative rights belong to Kouta Hirano, but since I'm using manga elements, they belong to Kohta Hirona as spelled on the manga cover. The name Erzsébet Báthory, is in no way mine. She was a real person; I am just borrowing her image for the story, and the historical research from her life. Anything in my story that has happened in real life is purely a coincidence. Any club named Dark Days out there is also purely coincidental to my imagination. (That's including the other clubs I randomly make up.). Ábel is mine, and some other characters that I put throughout the story.
A/N: Just enjoy.
Chapter 7: Past Endeavors
 
XXXXX
 
Seras awoke the next night from Pip's shaking of her shoulders. There wasn't an emergency or anything, he told her the only reason he woke her up in such a manner was because he just wanted to touch her…The commander had a very amused look on his face. She quickly slapped his hands away and began to her search for her master.
 
Alucard was sitting in his room atop his coffin, sipping at the wine glass she'd seen him drink from many times in the past, however short that past might be. He always had the crystal somewhere near him…Though there was one time he was just drinking from the medical bag when they were in Badrick. Seras sat in a near by chair and looked out the open windows to stare at the bright crescent moon.
 
“Police girl- Alucard paused as she looked at him, then he continued with his usual grin-
“Would you like any of this?” Alucard held his wine glass out as an offering, swirling the contents of the liquid in an inviting manner.
 
Seras paled slightly, she wasn't ready, even if she felt nauseas from not eating…drinking, what ever it was. She felt horrible for not doing so, like she was betraying him, but it also felt like she would betray herself if she did take his bloody offer.
 
“I…I'm not that hungry tonight, master.” Seras looked at the hands currently in her lap.
 
“You're lying,” Alucard said in a sing song voice. His gaze became intense suddenly, but his smile never wavered. All in all he seemed somewhat irritated. She could feel his eyes watching her every move.
 
“I don't feel it's right…There's something about it that's wrong…Please give me a little time, master.” Seras moved her eyes to the window again, she didn't want to look in his eyes and see how much he was disappointed in her, yet again.
 
Alucard put the glass to his lips and finished what was left of the `beverage' and set the glass down with a slight thud. Then he stood. “You have two days to drink, police girl.” Alucard walked towards the door, but stopped short.
 
“We must be going tonight; the human will be retrieving some clothes for the nights to come. Get dressed quickly, and in your new clothes.” Alucard glanced back at her over his shoulder and grinned at her, she was starring at him.
 
The elder vampire left quickly, to give her some privacy. She then noticed he'd taken some of the clothes that was to his liking and had laid them out on his `bed'. Seras got up and walked towards the door, making sure to lock it. It wasn't like that would stop the vampire, but it would stop the perverted mercenary from walking in.
 
Running a pale hand over the silky fabric over the clothes Seras realized these weren't amongst the clothes she'd picked out. In fact, the dress looked like something you would go out to dinner in, not to a club. Seras wanted to squeal at the sight of the clothes. It was made of silk; the shirt had long sleeves which ended just over her knuckles, also there were dark red lines going down the sleeves and a matching red line just below her breasts.
 
The skirt was a bit short but not shorter than her usual uniform for Hellsing. The skirt was also made of silk; both pieces were black. The neck was V shaped and showed a tiny bit of cleavage. All in all, the whole outfit was rather stylish. A couple of things were missing however, the shoes, the stockings she preferred to wear and her gloves…Not like she needed the gloves really, but they made her feel comfortable.
 
After she finished changing Seras ventured out of Alucard's bedroom and looked around. There was no sign of Pip anywhere, nor was there any sign of her master. She proceeded to go towards her room without looking around, no point. If he wanted to hide, then let him hide. He wasn't about to be found anytime soon.
 
Just as Seras wrapped her slender hand around the door knob, Alucard's smooth voice sounded. “What? You're not going to thank me for the outfit, police girl? That's rather impolite…I'm hurt.” Alucard was now seated at the chair next the window of hotel room, Seras jumped and whipped around.
 
“What the bloody hell…? I didn't see you there!” Seras glared at him, but her gaze soon softened. He wasn't being mean, sure he was trying to scare her, and it had worked, but he was being respectful to her…even if he'd made that comment about her being rude.
 
“You didn't have to really; I mean I had all the clothes I needed for awhile.” Seras fidgeted with the hem of her shirt but kept her blue gaze on his ruby one.
 
“Hum, no need to thank me.” Alucard kept the smile as he said this, but he looked like he badly wanted to roll his beautiful eyes at her.
 
“OH! Sorry master. Thank you very much!” Seras smiled nervously.
 
“Are you almost done…? I would love to sit here and stare at the floor all night but I have this mission to do.” Alucard gave her a somewhat irritated smirk…how that worked, she wasn't sure, but he managed to pull it off.
 
“Let me get some things and I'll be done.” Seras turned around and quickly went to her door but stopped again when she heard his voice.
 
“Five minutes.” That was all she needed and Seras ran into her room.
 
She grabbed anything that resembled gloves and shoes, even if she only had one pair of shoes, which were black knee-high boots. The gloves she grabbed were black as well and she was running out of the room while putting them on quickly…She noted that these gloves were very similar to Walter's, but shrugged it off as she saw that Alucard was once again gone.
 
“Bloody hell,” Seras growled and finished putting everything on.
 
She gritted her teeth in irritation. Either he was messing with her again or he was just waiting outside the room…Probably the former. Suddenly she felt as if he was standing right behind her and she turned around to at least hit him once or twice. He quickly moved out of the way with ease and smirked at her.
 
“Well, well police girl. How did you know I was there?” Alucard folded his arms and Seras realized that he wasn't wearing his usual attire. It was actually something similar to the thing she'd seen him in the night before. But his hair was shorter and his suit was a shade of gray.
 
She had to hold her tongue and try her best not to say, “Who wouldn't know you're there with your overwhelming presence…?” Seras frowned at him. “I don't really know why I knew you were there, and probably because it was rather cliché…I mean…I mean, I'm sorry, sir.” Seras quickly hid her face from his red gaze and blushed out of embarrassment; she was going to get it now…What made her say that of all things?!
 
Alucard narrowed his eyes at her and his smirk disappeared from his pale face. “Watch yourself, police girl. You should know why you knew where I was, servant…Tell me, was it because you felt me there out of instinct or something more?” Alucard's black sunglasses started to materialize on his face as he spoke. The glasses he wore the first night they met.
 
“I'm sorry sir… I just heard this voice in my head say to me that something was behind me, dangerous or not.” Seras gave her master a quizzical look.
 
Alucard looked away as she continued to look at him the way she was and spoke. “…Interesting…Let's go now.” He spoke like he was actually interested in her for once…Minus that night he made her suck his finger.
 
`Whoa! I sound just as bad as Pip.' Seras blushed but this time it was because of something else.
 
The elder vampire walked towards the door and grabbed the handle but suddenly stopped. “Are you just going to stand there and stare?” Alucard looked irritated once again.
 
Seras quickly ran up to her master, smiled and whispered an apology to him. This time she was sure he rolled his eyes at her.
 
XXXXX
 
The club's music pounded inside her head, making her dizzy. She couldn't understand why people listened to music with so much bass…Maybe it was her vampiric powers that made all her senses heightened, which wouldn't be surprising.
 
“This way,” Alucard said once again with a sing song tone and did it without looking at his servant and continued to proceed into the shady club.
 
“Right.” Seras followed closely behind her master as he almost bullied his way through the crowds of people, getting to a seat that he preferred, which was a nice little booth that looked a lot like the booth from before.
 
Alucard took a seat and held his hand out, offering for her to sit across from him. “The humans…the ones that should be watching our coffins, are here as well, police girl. Also-” Alucard paused and looked at her over the rims of his glasses- “Can you tell me which of these people are FREAKS and which ones are not, hmm? Or even how many there are…?”
 
Seras removed her gaze from his and looked around the gothic club. They all looked the same, but there was something awful smelling floating in the air. She was sure it wasn't because of those drugs…The scent was almost rotten smelling. Seras lifted her head and closed her azure eyes. She sniffed the air and scrunched up her nose, then turned to the other vampire. “I think there is about eighteen…? The other smells are messing up the odor from the FREAKS…Sorry.” Seras looked down in something close to embarrassment and shame.
 
“Lift your head, police girl, you look pathetic. You know, you were close; there are nineteen FREAKS in here. You did well; I didn't even tell you what they looked like or that you could just smell them out…As disgusting as their smell is.” Alucard narrowed his eyes at the crowd as he turned his head to glance at them.
 
Seras looked up quickly. `Did he just praise me?' She gave a large toothy grin, Alucard grinned back at her…She couldn't tell if his smile was genuine or not, but it felt nice.
  
“Police girl, I want you to go and look around. Tell me if you find anything…I'm going to go have some fun,” Alucard said in excitement and stood quickly and vanished into the shadows. Seras just stared blankly at the wall that he'd just disappeared into.
 
Without further ado, Seras got up left the top floor of the club and went to do things on her own…Pip was out getting new clothes, or so she was told. She couldn't really imagine the man actually trying on clothes and then buying them. She almost giggled at the thought.
 
What was Alucard doing…? She couldn't really be sure; it was all of a sudden too. Maybe he saw something…
 
Whatever it was, he gave her something to do and she would do it. The club's occupants were dancing the night away to some rather strange sounding techno music. Seras decided to hang out at the bar like she did in the mission were…were she died. She frowned at the thought, she certainly didn't feel dead.
 
“Miss…?” The bartender was looking at her funny; he was holding a shot glass and cleaning it off with a towel. He looked like every other gothic dressed person in the place.
 
“I'll just have some water, please.” Seras smiled sweetly and started to trace the lines of her gloves as she waited for her drink. She didn't feel like alcohol at the moment and water seemed alright, though she wasn't exactly in the mood for that either.
 
The bartender gave her the drink, winked at her, then walked off. Seras blushed slightly at his gesture, he was kind of attractive. She began to swirl the water within the glass by slightly moving her hand. The police girl just looked at the water swirling…Suddenly the water started to change color, the contents began to turn grayish black and every little thing around her basically shut off. There was no sound and no one around. Seras quickly looked back and fourth, she began to panic…She realized that this had happened before. Though it still freaked her out, it wasn't that bad…It was kind of interesting.
 
The whole environment changed and it looked kind of like the orphanage she grew up in as a child, except a lot older, mostly likely from the seventeen or eighteen hundreds.
 
A bunch of small children were running back and fourth, playing with their small cheap toys. Again there was no sound. There were various caretakers walking around doing their duties. A small fight broke out between two of the kids, both boys and over some sort of toy.
 
Seras became bored with the children's small fight and began to look around. Other than the black and white coloring of this `vision', everything else looked rather normal. (Minus the old look of the place.) As fascinating as it was to watch a bunch of kids run around like they were on crack, Seras started to become bored with it all. With a sigh she folded her arms on the bar, which she now realized was a small table, and rested her blond head on her arms.
 
Something caught her eye. Some little girl she hadn't noticed before was sitting in the corner of the room reading. The book didn't look like any type of book a child that size would be reading. The girl had long dark hair, which was relatively straight. Seras couldn't make out the color of her eyes, but she could tell the girl was pale, not too pale though.
 
The little girl stopped reading the oversized book in her dainty hands and looked over the rim of the book at Seras. The girl tilted her head, looking at the older woman like she'd grown two heads. Seras mimicked her unconsciously, but stopped when she realized what she was doing. The little girl smiled shyly at Seras, waving at her sweetly.
 
The child set the book down softly and ran up to Seras, the two front teeth in the girl's mouth were missing, which was normal of course and made her seem even more adorable. Seras smiled right back at the small being before her and tried to put her hand on the girl's head but her gloved appendage went right through the girl's body like a hologram. The girl didn't seem to notice and started to talk, though the words she was saying were inaudible; Seras continued to smile nonetheless.
 
One of the caretakers seemed to have noticed Seras because they suddenly walked up to the girl and grabbed her arm, pulling her close. The female caretaker shook her index finger in front of the frightened girl's face; it seemed that the older woman was yelling at the girl…Seras didn't want to think of what would happen to her, it brought back memories…The older woman continued to yell at the small child for a few more minutes then she looked over at the spot Seras was currently sitting in.
 
`I feel like a child going to be scolded once again…' Seras sighed miserably at the old memories, she felt useless. She was a woman now and she felt like she couldn't even defend herself…This time she wouldn't stand for it!
 
Feeling somewhat anxious about the old caretaker looking at her, she suddenly found her feet very interesting…A few moments passed and Seras looked up and saw that the woman had dragged the poor girl off by her forearm and left the room.
 
It confused her for a moment, but then she realized that this was a vision and perhaps they couldn't see her. But that didn't explain why only the girl could…In fact, the more she thought about it the more the girl's face resembled her own…
 
`I'm so confused…' Seras thought sadly, nothing made sense to her anymore. From her master's actions to the weird visions…or when she passed out in the bathroom…wait. Seras' brow furrowed as she thought on that. `I remember being in the bathroom, but I could have sworn I woke up in my coffin…But I also remember feeling sick and going to the bathroom…Why am I just now starting to remember that…?' The blond woman sighed, this was so frustrating.
 
Then everything started to turn back to normal, such as the sound of the music came throbbing back and the smell and feel of the blood all around her returned, as well as that disgusting smell of those filthy creatures known as FREAKS. Everything was in color once again. Seras didn't feel any different though and the stool she was sitting on felt the same as well.
 
She did what she did only two minutes ago; rest her head on her folded arms.
 
Suddenly a bang rung out, but apparently the humans weren't capable of hearing it, only Seras raised her head and looked around. Everyone continued to dance, even the FREAKS, though she did notice some of them look around quickly and then pretend to not even notice a thing. However Seras could feel their anxiety, it radiated off of them and made it even easier to pick them out.
 
The blond woman got off of her seat slowly, trying her best to not draw any attention towards herself, though she was sure that even the fake vampires could tell she was just as nervous as they were, maybe even more. At first she didn't really know why she felt this way, she'd been through some cases like this in the past. Bombs or gunfire weren't new to her, so what was it?
 
Then it hit her, she'd completely forgotten about Alucard. Was he even able to call her in her strange state of mind? She wasn't so sure. What if he was in serious trouble…? Seras wanted to run through the crowds like a bat out of hell, but that would bring on suspicion. So she slowly made her way through the sweaty mass. She even apologized every few moments as if she needed to use the restroom or something, even saying things such as, `I really need to go, please move.'
 
Just as soon as she was out of the crowd and closer to that sound, she started to pick up the pace. Seras still wasn't sure how their connection worked and it wouldn't do her any good to try and contact him through their bond. Besides, she had no idea how much power she had…or how little power. Perhaps she would be able to read minds…Probably not.
 
`Master…' Seras thought miserably and continued on her way.
 
XXXXX
 
Alucard stood on the shambles that was once a wall. He looked around and grinned, it didn't take much to find the woman he'd been looking for.
 
There on the floor was the woman. She wasn't unconscious, but she had several bruises and a cut lip, as well as blood coming from inside her mouth. He could tell she'd broken some bones, too. However, despite her obvious pain, she was smiling at him, almost sweetly. The female got up from her spot on the floor and dusted herself off, all the while keeping her eyes trained on the man that busted his way into her room. Had she been human, it would have scared the living crap out of her. But in her current form, she found it quite amusing and she wasn't afraid to let the other vampire see how she felt.
 
“I've been looking for you,” Alucard said almost venomously, but kept his posture calm.
 
“Likewise” was all she said in reply.
 
XXXXX
 
A/N: Until later. ;-)