Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Drowning in Darkness ❯ More Drama ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Drowning in Darkness.

By: Lazeralk.

Standard disclaimers apply.

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

Part 7

I really love you guys! This story would still be on chapter 3 with out you.

*

Integra slammed down the phone in her bedroom. She'd just gotten a call from Dr. Cunningham down in her infirmary and was supposed to be down there `stat'. She'd promised herself that she'd try very hard not to shoot him when she saw him for waking her up and three twenty-seven in the freaking morning. This was her sleep time. Her only sleep time. Curse the ingrate who dared to wake her to the deepest pits of hell.

Grumbling she pulled on her robe and stalked to the med lab with a gun naked in her hand. This had so better be worth it or she'd go homicidal, simple as that.

She threw open the door to Seras' private room and glared. Arucard was whispering soothingly to Seras who stood in the circle of his arms sobbing her heart out. Malikai was sitting on the floor with a dazed expression on his face, Shadow stood off to the side, bodyguard style, and Dr. Cunningham was looking very grim.

"This had better be good." She hissed.

"Sir Integra…Seras is-"

"The police girl is pregnant with The Blade to Call All Darkness." Said Arucard. The vampire he was holding cried louder.

"The what?" asked Integra.

"The Blade to Call All Darkness. There's an old prophesy in the writings of my maker that said this would happen. A vampire would bring into the world a weapon that could call the night at any time. A vampire's greatest weapon."

"You sound like you're quoting."

"I am. This is very bad. This blade cannot be born. It's too powerful a weapon, wars would be started, and the Hellsing organization would not be able to contain it. Don't you understand? Vampires all over the world would rise up and slaughter each other for the right of claiming the blade for themselves. It must be destroyed."

"How?" demanded Integra.

Seras looked up at her master, fear coursing through her veins like ice.

"We have to remove it before it's fully matured and then destroy it somehow." Arucard replied, not looking at the child in his arms. He could not hurt her, and yet he had too. She was his child, his responsibility, his to teach, his to protect. He could not harm her.

"Master." Said Seras, her voice trembling, afraid, pleading desperately for her master to just deny it. She wanted nothing more than for him to say that it would be all right, that everything would work out in the end. She wanted him to tell her that they weren't going to kill her because something evil was growing inside of her body.

"Seras." He said, she buried her face in his chest again and couldn't seem to stop shaking.

"Seras look at me." He said, tilting her face up to meet his eyes with a gentle hand under her chin. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut short.

"She must be killed." Said Malikai as he slowly pulled himself up the wall. Blood dripped from his split lip, coating his teeth in a sheen of cherry red. A large purple bruise was beginning to form on the entire left side of his face, splotches of angry red and blue marching across his skin.

Seras looked at him with horror on her face, her eyes wide and bloodshot, giving them the appearance that they were completely red with no whites at all. She clutched tighter to her master, a low whimpering rising in her throat.

"Seras. It's ok. We're going to take it and you'll heal just fine. I promise." Said Arucard, turning her face back to him.

"Master." She said again, the only word she was capable of. Her voice breathy with fear, barely over a whisper as she fought to get air into her lungs.

"You will be all right police girl. I won't let anything happen to you. You are my Child. I am your Master. My word is law to you, and my word is this: you will not die, I will protect you." He whispered to her, hugging her close and rocking her shaking form, eyes closed.

"Master." Said Seras, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and holding on as tight as she could, as if he were the last solid thing in the world.

Arucard breathed in her scent and silently apologized to her before plunging his hand into her stomach and gripping the hilt of that horrible blade and pulling it out. The blood poured out of her body, cascading to the floor in crimson waterfalls, spilling in a hot rush that left Seras screaming and breathless.

He tossed the blade aside, not willing to take upon himself the curse of its existence and ripped open his own veins to feed his dying child.

"Get more blood!" he roared, sending the others scrambling. Shadow walked through the wall and returned an instant later with the entire kitchen's stock of medical blood; the heavy crate of the stuff perched on her shoulder like it weighed nothing.

Arucard gently laid the limp and bleeding body of his daughter down on the floor, supporting her head with deft and caring hands. He grabbed a handful of the blood packets and ripped them open with his teeth, feeding the blood to her mixed with his own. He poured his strength and his power into his blood and prayed to anyone who would listen that it would be enough.

Malikai glanced at the bleeding girl on the floor and her frantic master and nearly gagged. Vampires were monsters, horrible abominations before God. There was nothing even remotely human about them, and yet. Yet how could he even think that with this evidence before his eyes? How could he say that all vampires were spawn of hell with no heart at all and yet be moved by the scene of pure emotion he was now witnessing? Perhaps. Perhaps, Father Maxwell was wrong about them.

But no, that would mean everything he'd ever believed in was a lie. All the morals and truths he grown up with were fake. That couldn't be true. It just couldn't, he refused to accept it. Father Maxwell had to have been right, there was no other was it could possibly work.

And yet there was Arucard, hunched over the body of his chosen child practically radiating protectiveness, and pouring his life's blood down her throat, his crimson tears splashing on the ashen skin of her face. And there was Seras, who had walked the park with him and poured her heart out to him, who had picked out paintings with him and held his hand.

Were they really monsters? Were they really that bad? He didn't know.

Shadow stared at the scene before her and was moved to pity, they had to stop the bleeding and quickly or she'd die. Her face hardened and she stepped up to the pair of vampires on the floor. She put her hands over the would, careful not to touch Arucard and pushed with her magic. She called on the shadows and they answered her, swirling about the three of them in a sweet haven of darkness. The shadows closed over the wound, keeping the blood from seeping out and Seras let out a gagging breath, forcing blood down her throat like it was water.

"What have you done?" asked Arucard softly, the hostility and fear in his voice not yet gone.

"The shadows are gateways Arucard, I've opened one here and inside of her body so that the blood that would be lost goes into her instead of on the floor. It's a loop, see?" she said demonstrating it for him in the air by forming a small shadow gate and sticking her hand through it. Her hand came out of another gate facing the opposite direction and on the other side of him. A light in his eyes showed that he understood what she had done for his child and he felt a wave of gratitude towards the woman.

"Thank you." He whispered, still giving blood to his child. She drank greedily, hands grasping at the sleeves of his coat and trying to pull herself up. He scooped her up into his arms and sat on the floor cross-legged and fed her packet after packet. She rested carefully in his lap, her body turned so that her side was against his chest and her legs dangled over one bent knee, her head in the crook of his neck. She cradled her arms around her breasts and used them to hold up her weak arms to lift the blood to her lips.

The doctor and nurse returned from their mad scramble to get more of the precious liquid and arrived with another cart full of packets. Integra leaned against the far wall and felt the first tinge of jealousy. She knew she shouldn't, she should be worried about Seras, and she was, just not as much as she thought she should. Her arms were crossed over her chest, her usual scowl on her face, the light reflecting off her glasses and masking her eyes from those who would read them.

"Master." Was the first weak word to pass Seras' lips. She struggled to sit up farther and winced in pain. Shadow removed her gates of power and retreated back to the wall. Her face as blank as always but softer somehow.

Arucard stood, taking his child with him and laid her back on the hospital bed. He made sure she was comfortable, and pushed the cart of blood packets to her bedside.

"Two every hour." He said. She nodded and he stroked her hand, his eyes sad but relieved. The wound in her stomach was fully closed, the new skin was pink and thin but it kept the blood inside of her. She touched it gingerly, like you would touch wet paper that was stretched thin, trying not to break it.

"Master. Thank you." She said, trying to smile for him. He smiled back and leaned down to kiss her forehead before pushing his power into her and willing her to sleep.

Shadow sighed and crossed the room to where the demonic blade lay and snatched it up. She nearly dropped it when she felt the evil pulsing from it. She opened another Shadow gate and dropped it in, closing it with a sweeping gesture of her hand.

"Where is it?" Asked Arucard.

"In a shadow with in a shadow. That way it won't contaminate the Deep. When you figure out how to destroy it, let me know and I'll get it out for you. This is the safest way to store it."

"Agreed. Lets let my child rest now." He suddenly seemed tired, as if the weight of the world and the time he'd lived was finally pressing down on him.

He ushered everyone out of the room, some more roughly than others, and closed the door behind him. Integra raked a hand through her hair and muttered about going back to bed. Malikai slunk off into the shadows, casting glances at Arucard. His face was twisted with confusion, and a soft sort of anguish.

Arucard watched them all go and when they were out of sight he grabbed the doctor by the collar of his jacket and pushed his roughly against the wall.

"Watch her at all times, make sure she gets the blood twice every hour. If she dies, I will rip you apart with my bare hands. Understand?" he growled shoving his face into the other man's.

Dr. Cunningham nodded furiously, his fear a tangible thing. Arucard dropped him and stalked into the wall, fully intending to go to his room and brood. He was worried, mostly about his child but also about himself. He was a true nosfaratu, a no-life king. He was one of the oldest and most powerful vampires in existence, he'd spent a thousand years killing, suppressing and barring his emotions until he was hollow and cold inside.

It was the only way to live as long as he had, to live as he had and not go insane. He was very proud of the fact that he was a sociopath, devoid of all human emotions. It was who he was, what he was. He couldn't afford to be soft, not when he killed like he did. If he gained back his emotions he might run screaming into the night and end up killing himself through starvation. He couldn't allow that to happen, he did have a reputation to keep after all.

But it was worrying him; his child could bring out a side of him he never knew was there. She could make him feel. And that, more than anything, scared him.

*

A figure approached the gates of Hellsing house, a malicious smile on its twisted face. Marcus had come to play with them, and for the deaths of his people, his precious chosen children, he'd have his vengeance. Armed with an army of ghouls and lesser vampires, he'd be sure that there would be hell to pay. He would not back down from any challenge. He would not bow to the whims of any mortal woman. He would not overlook this insult to his name. The Hellsings would die this night, his revenge would be complete.

End part 7