Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Drowning in Darkness ❯ Even More Drama ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Drowning in Darkness.

By: Lazeralk.

Standard disclaimers apply.

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

Part 8

Thanks to everyone who reviewed, as always, it really means a lot to me. And to all of you who have been with me faithfully from the beginning, I owe this story to you.

*

Arucard paced about his room, not really seeing anything and mourning the return of at least some of his emotions. He pulled a packed of blood from the mini-fridge he had in his room just for that purpose and bit into the plastic absently. He sucked on it for a while, not really paying attention to anything when he heard a knock on his door.

"Enter!" he yelled around a mouthful of blood.

Walter came in dressed in his normal clothes with the exception of the black Kevlar vest coating his upper body.

"Arucard, I have the gun you requested and not a moment too soon. The house is under attack. Again." He said as he placed a good sized black box on his `dining room' table. He popped open the lid and pulled out a Hellsing .454 Jackal, a perfect match to the one in Arucard's pocket.

The vampire picked it up and tested the weight, the feel and the ammo. He gave Walter his psychotic smile before mock throwing the gun over his shoulder and walking towards the door.

"Lets get going then. It's been so long since I went out and killed something."

Walter sighed and resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

*

Seras was drifting, wherever she was it was warm and comfortable and safe. Her master's power danced along her skin, sending thrills down her spine and making the tips of her fingers tingle. She was happy, floating in that place between sleep and wakefulness. All was right with her master's heat pulled around her body like a good fleece blanket that had just been taken out of the dryer.

-Find me. -

-Master? - She called to the voice in her mind, that haunting chill voice that echoed from everywhere.

-Find me. - Commanded the voice again.

She waited, holding her breath, and listened with all her might.

Nothing.

-Master! - She called more franticly, terrified of that voice. She had half a thought of what that voice was and she wanted her master close to her.

-Are you all right police girl? - Came the comforting voice of her master, sending his warmth and power into her, filling her up and chasing the other voice away.

-It's talking to me master. It's calling to me. - She said, letting her fear and unease travel down that long cord that bound the two of them together.

-Don't worry police girl. I'll protect you. - He said, but she could feel his amusement at her fear.

-Where are you master? -

-Outside. The house is under attack. -

-I'm coming. -

-No you're not. You're going to stay right where you are, drink your blood and sleep. I don't want you anywhere near this battle. It's just some two-bit wanna-be out for revenge. It'll be over in a few minutes anyway. You should see Shadow; she's having more fun than I am. - He replied. She found that if she concentrated on it, she could hear the gunshots and the screams.

-But master, I don't want to be alone. - She said softly, fighting the urge to curl up into a little ball. Her stomach still ached, her body was still weary and her mind still reeled at the thought of what she'd almost given birth to.

-I'll come see you when we're done here all right? Now drink your blood like a good little girl. -

-Yes master. - She sighed, moving to lift one of the packets from the diminishing pile. She felt him slip away and rejoin the waking world on the other side of the house. She leaned back into her pillows and strained to hear the comforting sound of her master's maniacal laughter.

*

Arucard turned his upper body and fired two shot in rapid succession. Magically, six ghouls went down as a result. He finished the clip in his new gun and fished in his coat for another. He put the new clip between his teeth and popped out the empty one.

He spied a lesser vamp shouting orders and took careful aim. He then launched the used clip at the vamp's face and caught him square in the mouth. The vamp's eyes widened comically and he struggled to get the thing out of his teeth. His fangs, however, were too deeply sunk into the metal after his initial reaction of clamping down.

Arucard howled with laughter even as he popped the new clip in and shot the ghouls the poor slob had been commanding. He'd save the lesser vamp for later. Besides, it'd be fun to see how the swine handled walking around the rest of the battle with an empty clip stuck in his mouth. He cackled evilly, this was going to be great.

Integra stood on top of one of the jeeps and kept firing the Beretta in her hand. When the clip ran out she handed the gun to one of her assistants who handed her a loaded one and then reloaded the other for the next round.

Shadow was in her prime, her long shadow blades danced in the darkness slaying anything and everything. She had a second to think: `I must ask Walter to see if he can have copies of my blades made out of melted down crosses' before she launched herself back into the fray, cutting this way and that at the army of ghouls. Their numbers were dropping fast but the vampire commanding them wouldn't give up. He was around here somewhere and she intended to have his head.

*

Marcus was not a happy vampire. His army of ghouls had been reduced to scraps in less than ten minutes. The Hellsing Organization was absolutely insane to carry this much firepower. Either that or exceptionally paranoid. He was betting on paranoid. Just the same, he'd find the one who'd killed his men. The one who wielded the blades made of shadows, and when he did, he'd raise hell. Literally.

*

Shadow decapitated the last of the ghouls in her designated section and moved to join Arucard who was floating in mid air lazily shooting anything that moved. His lanky form was sprawled out in a way that was not humanly possible, or even vampirically possible and looked to be very painful. He was `hanging' (sort of) upside down his arms extended over his head, a Jackal in each hand and his legs randomly thrown to the wind. His hair was a good three feet long and waving madly about him licking the air like snake tongues. He was cackling like a mad man and muttering something under his breath every time he took out a ghoul.

She leaned in to hear what he was saying and pulled back in surprise. The vampire, still grinning like a hellhound with a steak, was keeping points.

"Two-twenty-five!" He said as he shot another.

"Two-twenty-six!" Another poor zombie turned to dust and added a point to Arucard's Dead Ghoul-a-meter.

Shadow shook her head and sighed. She opened tiny shadow gates underneath the random piles of used Hellsing bullets that lay forgotten around the battle field and pulled them too her. She sat down on an ammunitions box and proceeded to make the used bullets into throwing knives.

*

-Find me. -

-Go away. -

-Find me. -

-Leave me alone. -

-Mother. -

-Don't you dare call me that! -

*

Malikai sat in front of his computer and did nothing. He couldn't bring himself to type his report. He suddenly didn't want to spy on the Hellsing organization anymore. He didn't want to do any more damage until he had come to grips with his own moral standing. The vampire was out there, right now, defending those weaker than himself. Was that so wrong?

He knew that Seras was still in the infirmary, knew that Arucard had forbidden her from joining the battle. She would have gone, injury or no if her precious master hadn't told her to stay put. Another example of his humanity. He was protecting her, his child. He cared about her and her safety. Was that the mark of something evil?

Malikai's eyes hardened and he brought up the encoded window to make his report.

`All quiet. Nothing to report.' He wrote. He felt a shiver run down his spine. He was betraying his church. He was traitor to his faith. The thought saddened him, but he just couldn't accept that vampires were mindless monsters that killed because they were pure evil, and somehow, deep inside, he knew he was doing the right thing.

*

Marcus grinned, flashing fangs. He'd found her at last. He watched a woman all dressed in skintight black with black hair and black eyes as she threw tiny silver knives at what remained of his forces. The ghouls crumbled like cake when she struck.

Next to her, floating in the most ridiculous position he'd ever seen, was a raving lunatic in red. The man was laughing like he were trapped in a comedy show and shooting very large black guns with white scribble on the barrels. What the hell were these people smoking? How could they legally own, let alone buy all these armaments? Paranoid, definitely paranoid.

He pushed those thoughts aside and began to draw his circles and recite his incantations. He only had one shot to do this right or he was dead. He pushed all other distraction away and focused everything he had on summoning the demon he was bound to.

*

Arucard felt the energy rising in the air and his smile turned psychotic, err, more psychotic than usual. He unfolded his body and floated upright, stretching the muscles in his back. He took very careful aim and shot the vampire who was walking around in a circle and chanting. Or rather, he would have shot him if his bullet hadn't impacted with a shield and been obliterated in the process.

He bared his teeth and stalked off to meet this new foe, mentally checking the number of clips he had left. You'd be surprised how many pockets that nifty coat of his had.

Shadow took out the last of the ghouls and Integra began ordering her men back, leaving the last vamp to her most trusted agent.

"You had better come back to me alive Arucard, or I'll never forgive you." She whispered to the wind before retreating back to the relative safety of the house.

Shadow followed Arucard, her face shutting down into hard angry lines as she recognized the energy that swirled in the air. This same stench of evil had lingered in the Deep for days before it had dissipated.

She caught up to him and matched his stride, both of them closing in on the vampire who was still oblivious to his surroundings. She raised her shadow blades and prepared to strike.

Her blade was on the down ward stroke when a blinding power knocked her off her feet and stole the breath out of her lungs. Arucard was next to her in a similar fashion, although he wasn't gasping for breath.

They looked up and stared into the harsh, evil eyes of a greater demon and Arucard suddenly wished he had more bullets.

End part 8