Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Old and New ❯ Chapter 7 - Caught ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Hellsing. I don't own Billy Joel's song "Only the Good Die Young" either.

AN: This chapter is a little more light-hearted than the other ones. Just a warning, for those out there who don't like that stuff. After this chapter, things should go back to normal. Maybe. ::laughs evilly::

Old and New

Chapter 7 - Caught

Once Pip was far away from the manor, he relaxed. There was no way he would let anyone see him right now, but all the sneaking had been tiresome.

It was lucky that the place he was going was in walking distance. He had been surprised that something like this was in this area.

Whistling lightly, he turned the corner the club was on. It was crowded tonight. The line was long. He ignored the line and headed around to the back.

"Hey Ralph." He waved to the human tank that guarded the back entrance. The man merely grunted as he let Pip past.

Pip couldn't help smiling. Tonight would be a good night. He could feel it.

***

Seras looked at the long, unmoving line, feeling daunted. She felt even more daunted by the muscle man in the back. Her attempts to bribe him saying that she knew Pip had fallen flat.

There must be a way in.

She studied the alley she was in. The muscle man was around the corner in the back. The long line was around the corner by the street.

Practically at her feet was a window half underground. It was barred.

She knelt down to it. She looked up and down the alley one more time before she bent the bars back. She popped the window open and slid in between the bars. Once she was inside she bent the bars back.

She looked at her dim surroundings, she appeared to be in a basement. She saw some stairs at the end of it. She heard music from above her, but couldn't distinguish it. `What could Pip be doing here?' She knew that he needed money. `Maybe he serves drinks.' Whatever it was she had to know. It must be something to sneak here like he did.

She slowly climbed the stairs, hoping they didn't creak. There was a door at the top. She pushed it open. She was in a little hallway. There were bathrooms here. She could see a bar at the end. The air was smoky and the lighting was dim. The music was louder. She recognized it as eighties hits.

She brushed some cobwebs off of her skirt and sat at the bar. The place was very crowded. She could make out a stage over the small sea of heads and shoulders. The bartender walked over to her. "Uh." She said. Why were these things always happening to her? "Root Beer." She said. He placed the drink in front of her. She sipped it slowly. She found that she could drink liquids other than blood if she took them slowly. "Um, what's the stage for?" She asked him.

The bartender leaned forward to answer, but his words were drowned out by applause. She could just see passed the heads and shoulders blocking her view. Someone was stepping out onto the stage.

It was Pip.

Seras nearly spit out her root beer. Luckily she didn't need to breathe anymore or she would have choked.

Pip settled himself down behind a piano. He settled his hands onto the keys and began playing. Seras couldn't believe that she was seeing this. She also couldn't believe how good he was.

Then he began to sing. She sat there, entranced. This couldn't be the Pip she knew. The loud tough-guy Pip who always fought with her. There must be some mistake.

She was surprised again when she took in the words of the song.

"Come out Victoria, don't let me wait

You Catholic girls start much too late

But sooner or later it comes down to fate

I might as well be the one"

That was her name instead of Virginia, they way the song normally goes. Well, it was her last name.

"You might have heard I run with a dangerous crowd

We ain't too pretty we ain't too proud

We might be laughing a bit too loud

But that never hurt no one"

This was all a cruel joke, she was sure of it. He had spotted her following him and had done this to torment her.

"Come on Victoria show me a sign

Send up a signal I'll throw you the line

The stained-glass curtain you're hiding behind

Never lets in the sun

And only the good die young"

She didn't know whether to be angry with him or to laugh. The whole thing was so absurd.

"They say there's a heaven for those who will wait

Some say it's better but I say it ain't

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Sinners are much more fun...

And only the good die young"

She sat by the bar the whole time he was on stage. She lost count of how many songs he played. When it was over he bowed and stepped off of the stage.

***

Pip was grinning, this had been a good night. He ran up to the bar. "Hey Nick, how was that?" He asked.

A flicker of a smile crossed the bartender's face. "Pretty good." He said.

"The crowd loved it, maybe I should get a bonus."

"Nice try." Nick handed him a small envelope. "Next Thursday?" He asked.

Pip counted through the bills. "Nah, that's the last one. I'm really not suited for it. Plus, I won't need the cash anymore either." He pushed the money back into the envelope and tucked it into his coat.

"That's too bad." Nick said. "The ladies really like you. That reminds me, there was a really hot bird here a moment ago. She was staring at you the whole time."

"Oh, really? Do you see her around?" Pip scanned the crowd.

"Yeah, there she is right now?" Nick pointed.

Pip looked where the bartender indicated. "Son of a bitch." He swore. He had seen Seras Victoria hurriedly trying to make her way to the door.

"Cute huh?" The bartender whistled. "Well, you going after her?"

"Nah, I know where she is going."

***

Alucard descended silently into Integra's office. He had expected her to be working and was surprised to see that she was not. She and Walter were sitting on opposite ends of her desk. A chessboard lay between them.

Walter was frowning. Integra wore a look of cool superiority. Then he sighed. "You win again."

"You used to be more of a challenge Walter, I hope you are not letting me win."

"I was a challenge to you when you were fifteen. It's seems you have improved."

"Well, if I can't get a challenge, then I am going back to work."

Now this was interesting. You could learn a lot about a person by observing the way they played chess. "Integra, master." He placed his hands on the desk and leaned toward her. "I challenge you."

She smiled; the look of cool superiority never left her face. "Then have a seat."

***

Seras entered her room. She was sure Pip had seen her. She had to figure out what she would say to him. She reached behind her to close the door, but it closed on it's own.

She whirled around. Pip was standing behind her. It was obvious that he had been waiting in her room for her. `How did you get back here first?' Her mind screamed. But her only voice only said: "H-h-." while she held up her hands.

He advanced on her.

In her nervousness she forgot that she could wipe the floor with him any day of the week. She backed up and put the table between them. He placed his hands on the table and leaned close to her, much like Alucard had done to Integra a few stories above them. His face was very close to hers, biting distance. His voice was deadly calm. "If you ever tell anyone, ANYONE, about what you saw tonight, you will regret it." It was an empty threat. Seras knew there was nothing he could do to her, but she found him very scary right now.

She didn't reply. She just looked at him nervously. He straightened up and turned to go. "Wait." She said. "You were- I thought you were really good."

He sighed, his shoulders slumped, the deadly scary air gone. He turned back to her. "I was only doing it for the money." He told her. His looked was almost pleading. "I have some debts."

Seras was confused. "I thought that Integra paid off all of your debts."

He sighed again. "Those were Wild Geese debts. I have some personal ones that weren't covered in the contract. I won't have to do that again, thankfully. Just, please, I know I can't stop you, but please don't tell the guys."

She still had more questions, but she didn't ask them. "I promise." She said.

His face broke into a smile, relief was plain on it. "Thanks." He turned to leave. Seras didn't stop him.

She sat at the edge of her coffin, questions running through her mind. `Why had he used her name in the song? Why did he choose to sing to make money?'

***

Interesting, very interesting.

She used her queen to take all major pieces. Her pawns she used for decoys. Her king she used fairly well, not keeping it away from the other pieces, but using it to engage as well.

He moved his bishop. It was a ploy. She could take it with either the king or queen. If she used the king, she would lose the queen, but if she used the queen-. He doubted that she saw the only thing protecting her king from his knight was the queen. She used the queen. He moved his knight into place. "Checkmate." He bridges his hands together.

All Integra could see of his face under that hat of his was his burning crimson eyes and his teeth as he smiled.

***

Far away, in Ireland, in a small manor, a woman sat. She sat behind a large desk not quite unlike Integra's. She was beautiful. Her dark hair fell in waves down her back. Her green eyes carried an unearthly quality that men found entrancing and women found annoying.

There was a tap on her office door. "Enter." Her voice was rich and dusky.

A servant entered the room. He held a small paper in his hands. He looked at his employer nervously. "Lady, I have terrible news." He placed the paper on the desk before her. It was a telegram. "Lady Sacrissa is dead."

Her hands trembled as she reached for the telegram. He hand settled over it and crushed it. "Alucard!" She screamed in rage.

AN: Yay! Back to the main plot.