Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ The Order of Lilith ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: This is my first real attempt at Hellsing fanfiction. I've always wondered how it was that Alucard (or Dracula) became a vampire, and was very taken with the character Helena's comment in Episode 11 of the series, when she tells Seras to "Find the Eve," in regards to the artificial vampires. I know that I've taken some liberties here, but I hope that you'll all bear with me. I had a lot of fun doing research on the real Dracula and on vampire myths and legends for this story, which takes place after the series ends (though I do hope to tie in some points from the manga here as well). The fic is mostly a general continuation, though there will be some AxI moments later in the story.

Oh, and of course, disclaimers apply. I don't own Hellsing or the characters. Heaven help us if I ever get a vampire of my very own. Thanks so much for reading!

The Order of Lilith

By Stella

Prologue - Hungary, 1476

His soldiers raised the spears one after another, like a haunted forest of writhing metal and flesh that twisted up into the sky. Screams of war cut into the cold winds that blasted over the Hungarian plain; the wails of the dying were a phantom chorus on the field. But he was distracted by nothing. All he could see, feel and taste was the battle.

The emblem of the red dragon on his armor blazed against the storm. Snow began to fall as he mowed down another enemy garrison. The echo of steel on steel resonated in his ears, and when he finally turned around and threw down his sword, nothing moved in the path he had left behind. Shredded bodies and cloven weapons were already sinking into the winter dust.

He wiped the dampness from his face and tossed his helmet aside, looking up when he caught the glint of his general's armor moving towards him over the ruin. The commanding officer removed his helm and sank to one knee.

"My Prince, I do not know what kind of men these were. We cut through them like water, but they seemed more like ghosts than soldiers. It's as if they are… already dead."

"They are invaders in our land," the ruler sneered. "I want these vermin raised high so that all will know that the true Prince of Wallachia defends his throne." His lips twisted into a malicious grin. "Let our enemies come. Only death awaits them."

The general rose to his feet and bowed lowly, but did not move away from his lord. Wide, battle-weary eyes shifted focus to the circle of spikes growing around the field. He seemed entranced by the sight, his face paling as he remained frozen in place.

The prince followed the man's gaze, then glared at his subordinate. "What is it, general? Speak now or you'll join them."

The soldier's entire being quaked beneath his rattling armor. He leveled a trembling finger at the carnage beyond his master. "There is an unholy force at work here, my prince. An unholy force…"

"Fool. You try my patience. I will skewer you myse-"

The general shook his head and kept his stricken eyes locked on the impaled bodies. "No blood, my Lord Vlad. The corpses--" he choked. "They did not bleed. You will see… there is not a drop of blood on the ground."

The prince turned and stared out at the newly dusted field. His ears were met with low, animalistic moans from the creatures on the spikes. The sounds flurried around him, mingling with the snow and pricking at his skin with each icy gust. Something about them seemed inhuman, beyond death. Even from the distance, he could see that the white blanket at the base of the spears remained pristine and unblemished by the usual gore that accompanied his chosen method of execution. The prince drew in a sharp breath and looked up to the darkening sky. Night would be upon them soon.

The figures on the spears continued to twist and groan. Minutes wore on like hours, and the voices rose to a howling frenzy, then plunged into sudden silence. Out of the unexpected stillness, a strange whisper rushed into his mind. It called for him. His head snapped around, surveying the dusky landscape for its source, but he found nothing. A shiver wracked the prince's body. He knew it wasn't from the cold.

"Alucard."

The vampire twitched and slowly opened his eyes. For a moment, he swore that he could still smell the air of that long ago battle and feel the weight of armor heavy against his chest. His fingers flexed as if remembering the cold that bit at them, and when he moved, he half-expected to feel the sore muscles that came after hours of fighting. He shook his head and pulled himself completely into consciousness, focusing on the familiar stone of the Hellsing manor's sublevels.

A dream? How many centuries has it been since I've dreamed of that day. Why now? Why…

"Alucard."

She was calling for him, her voice hinging on the edge of impatience. He rose from his chair and stepped forward into the darkness, seconds later dissolving through the wall and into her office. Expectant blue eyes flicked up at him from behind her glasses; the features around them were tense, but the thin line of her lips quickly lapsed open and she tilted her blond head when he approached. The dream was still lingering in his mind. Perhaps there was a hint of disturbance in his expression, or in the air around him or… perhaps it was simply the fact that he had made her wait. "Is something wrong, Alucard?"

"Nothing worth troubling you, Master."

"I see." Integra slid a folder across her desk as he drifted nearer. The faint, sweet scent of cigars and tea spices clung to her hair and clothes. Warmth from her human body reached out to meet him, whether she willed it to or not. Alucard almost smiled. This was here and now. Remnants of the dream quickly dissipated and he turned his attention to papers in front of him. It had been too long since he was sent out and he ached for a fight.

Her fingers lightly traced the edge of the file before flipping it open. Something about her seemed fragile, almost weaker in the recent weeks. Her body was still recovering, he knew, and she refused to rest until the organization was rebuilt. His master's mind, as always, was immersed in business as usual.

"These photos were taken by an MI-5 unit in Cardiff six weeks ago, shortly after…" He heard her swallow hard and shift in her chair. She still couldn't bring herself to say it.

"When they locked you away. When you almost drank my blood."

Integra held her breath while her eyes squeezed tightly shut. Alucard could sense the swell of rage until it almost oozed through her skin, but only for an instant. His master quickly sucked in a gulp of air and regained her composure.

"The attacks continued while we were… indisposed. The Vatican took it upon themselves to step in and kill whatever they could find, though as usual, they failed to concern themselves with the heart of the problem."

She dealt out the photographs like a deck of morbid playing cards. They were images he'd seen a thousand times, more or less. Blood splattered on the walls of otherwise normal-looking homes, dried to a dark brown over family pictures and tacky floral wallpaper. It stained table linens and cheerfully patterned curtains. Ghoulish husks of drained bodies littered the ruined carpets, though in this instance, they were pinned to the floor by Father Anderson's blessed blades.

"There were only ghouls - no sign of the vampires that created them. We're sure there is a group from the number of footprints found outside on the grounds. However, the targeted families were all wealthy Catholics, and the homes were completely ransacked, almost as if the creatures responsible were looking for something."

"Just common little punks with a taste for rich blood," the vampire shrugged. "Hardly worth my time. Except that the damn priest was there."

Integra smirked up at him as she produced another folder, but her expression quickly faded into a frown. "Yes, and now he's in London. Last night another family was attacked here in the city. The Vatican may think this matter belongs to them because of the victims' religious affiliations, but those people were still citizens of Britain. And now that Her Majesty has restored Hellsing, there is no reason for the Iscariot Organization to be involved, even if we have no troops ready for field duty as of yet."

Alucard gave her his best fang-baring grin. "I think I can take care of things. And if I happen to run into any of the Iscariots, I'll be sure to ask them, very nicely, to leave." He reached for his Jackal and checked to be sure the clip was fully loaded. After a satisfying "click" resounded through the room, he replaced it in his jacket.

"Your orders, Master?"

Integra gained her feet and a neatly typed page was pushed towards him.

"Destroy this group of creatures completely. Walter has compiled a list of the wealthiest Catholic families in the city. He feels that based on prominence and proximity, these two locations would be the next likely targets. Station Miss Victoria at the smaller home, which is the St. James residence. Instruct her not to engage Anderson on her own."

He nodded and sank into the floor, forgoing a jibe about Sir Hellsing's newly protective nature. As he strolled through the cold stone hallways, intent on rousing the police girl, an eerie, but somehow familiar uneasiness overtook his senses. Images of the dream flashed back into his mind accompanied by a soft whisper. He knew that voice. And it called him by a name that had ceased to be his a very long time ago.

Alucard whirled around and drew his gun, but there was no one to be seen in the passageway. Could he be imagining things? The vampire gripped the paper in his other hand and stared at the addresses. He could not shake the notion that tonight's mission would be more than a simple search and destroy.