Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Balance ❯ Balance Part One: Spiritual 4/4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
BALANCE
A Hikaru no Go Sekkushiaru Roman Series
By Sailor Mac

PART ONE: SPIRITUAL (4/4)

Akira was in the room where he played Go with his father. In the background, he could hear his parents getting ready to leave. This was just an overnighter -- an invitational tournament for retired players in Okinawa -- as opposed to the prolonged trips to China he'd been making as of late.

He was laying out a game he'd recreated over and over throughout the last four years. It was the very first game against Shindou Hikaru. No, against Sai, channeled through Shindou Hikaru's body.

*Now that I know what was going on,* he thought, *it all seems logical. The archaic patterns, the way Shindou hesitated at strange places in the game -- and the fact that sometimes, I can see *this* playing style creep into his Go, as if there were two people playing at once.*

His father began to enter the room, and paused in the doorway, noting Akira's intense look of concentration as he studied the stones.

"What is that?" he asked his son.

Akira looked up. "Just an old game of mine I wanted to analyze."

"It must be an important one," Touya Kouyou replied, coming closer to the board. "I've seen you recreate this one many, many times."

*It was the most important game of my life,* Akira thought. *Without this . . . without Shindou, and Sai . . . would I have propelled myself into the pros so fast and so hard?*

"Never mind," his father said. "I'll leave you to your study. We're ready to leave, we'll be back tomorrow evening."

Akira nodded, and went back to the board.

*If only I'd known then, Shindou,* he thought as he continued to lay out stones. *If only there were some way you could have told me . . . but how different would things have been?*

He was concentrating so hard on what he was doing that he didn't notice the knock on the door at first. When it came a second time, harder and more insistent, he looked up and headed into the living room.

There was Shindou Hikaru on the other side of the door. Akira suddenly felt a strange panic and embarrassment flood him. He coughed, looked at the floor, and said, "Oh, hi."

Shindou seemed equally nervous . . . he was rubbing the back of his head and looking at a spot some five inches to the left of Akira's right ear. "Um, can I come in?"

"Sure . . ." Akira led the other boy into the family room . . . why was his heart pounding like this? He sat down on one of the Western-style lounge chairs that his family had only acquired a year and a half ago, and didn't look up at Hikaru when he sat down in the other.

Hikaru looked down at his own hands, which were clasping and unclasping. "Um, I came to talk."

Akira fiddled with his right cuff, even faster than he normally did. "I'm listening."

Hikaru took a deep breath. How the hell could he say everything that he wanted to say . . . that he wanted their relationship to stay the same, undisturbed by the revelations about Sai -- or the kiss. That he wanted to know why Akira had kissed him, what the other boy thought of him . . .

*Maybe I should just ask him if he wants to play Go*, he thought. *No, maybe that's a bad idea, it'll bring up too many memories of Sai -- for both of us.*

And suddenly, he blurted out, "Wanna help me learn the right way to use a computer?"

Akira sat poker-straight and blinked. That was the *last* thing he'd expected to hear! "WHAT?"

"Well, you have a computer in your room, and you know how to use it, and . . ."

Akira rose out of his seat, his face a mixture of fury and bewilderment. "This is what you came over here for? To have me give you COMPUTER LESSONS?"

Hikaru leapt out of his own seat, yelling, "Fine! If you don't wanna do it, I'll go somewhere else!"

"FINE!" Akira clenched his fist, eyes ablaze. "What made you think I'd spend my time teaching *you* to use a computer, anyway?"

There was a long pause, during which they glared at each other like gladiators about to go into combat.

Then, Akira's expression softened, his stance relaxed. "I thought you said you worked a computer when you were playing for Sai?"

"I just did the mouse part . . . clicking on the places where the stones went. The rest . . . a friend's sister was working in the cybercafe, and she helped me."

"All right," Akira said. "Come this way."

Hikaru realized he had never been in Akira's bedroom before. The previous times he'd played Go with Akira in this house, it had always been on the main goban in the room off the living room. The room was a mix of the very modern and the very traditional, with the tatami floor -- no bed, Hikaru noticed, he must sleep on a futon -- and the computer desk.

And the very idea of being in here was filling him with a thrilling excitement. The erotic images from that morning were crowding into his head again, and he forced them down and out. The last thing in the world he wanted was for his body to betray his fantasies with Akira right there!

"Pull up a chair," Akira said as he switched the computer on. When Hikaru settled next to him, he suddenly found himself very aware of the other boy's nearness, his warmth. He found himself coughing and clearing his throat, as if to keep the emotions flooding him at bay.

"Well, then," he said, "we'll start with looking things up on the Web."

He opened his browser and watched as his home page -- the Go Institute's site -- began to load. He could hear Shindou shifting around in his seat a little, and resisted the urge to let his eyes wander over toward the other boy.

"The first place you want to go if you want to look up anything is a search engine," he said. "You black out the address bar at the top of the screen -- here -- and just type where you want to go."

Hikaru watched as Akira brought the page up. *I never noticed how his hands move, even when they're not playing,* he thought. *So fast, and like they always know exactly where to go.*

Which only brought back the thoughts he was having before. *What's going on?* he thought. *I've hardly ever thought about sex, and today . . . it's all I can think of!*

"All right," Akira said, "We'll say you were doing a school science project and wanted to look up information on snakes." He began to type in the search field. "Now, you want to click on that link here . . ."

Hikaru reached for the mouse, thinking Akira wanted him to do it. Akira reached for the mouse himself, and their hands collided.

The world seemed to stand still, with both of them frozen in place, barely daring to breathe. Akira had an urge to turn his hand so he could grasp Hikaru's, lacing their fingers together, brushing his thumb over and over on the back.

Hikaru pulled his hand back, slowly, stammering "Sorry . . ."

"No, you do it," Akira said, leaning back in his seat.

He watched Hikaru lean over toward the machine, unruly blond bangs falling in his eyes. He looked wild and disorganized, the kind of person who didn't have any regard for rules, who lived life on his own terms -- everything Akira wasn't.

Why did he suddenly find that so very fascinating . . . even more fascinating that the mystery of who Shindou was?

"Okay," Hikaru said. "Now what?"

"You've got a page of links here. Figure out which ones are most relevant to what you want, and then click on the highlighted part at the top."

Hikaru did so, and the screen became flooded with popups. "Whoa! What did I just do?"

"You didn't do anything. They're just popups. See, you just click to get rid of them . . ."

He reached for the mouse at the same time Shindou did again. This time, they ended up grasping it at the same time. Neither moved his hand.

"Just . . . move it up here," Akira said, pushing the mouse, feeling Hikaru's hand against his as the pointer moved. He clicked the boxes that made the offending ads go away, slowly.

"Now what?" Hikaru said, still grasping the mouse himself.

"You . . . start looking for the site's table of contents . . . it should be in a frame over here . . ."

Together, they moved the mouse again. *I don't want to let go,* Akira thought, *but if I keep holding on like this . . . am I too obvious?*

"So . . . all these links are different pages of the site, right?" Hikaru kept his eyes fastened to the screen . . . he didn't want to look over at Akira. If he did, he'd stare, not be able to take his eyes off him . . .

"Yes. Just click on the links," Akira replied.

*I have to let go now,* he thought, easing his hand away. Hikaru's warmth lingered on his skin, which made a small flutter of excitement in his stomach.

He watched Hikaru click his way around the site, trying to keep a calm expression. *All the time we were chasing each other,* he thought, *all the time I wanted to stay ahead of him . . . was it really about Go all the time? Was there something else? Was the reason I avoided him for so long because I was afraid of what would happen if we were together?*

As if to run away from those thoughts, Akira quickly reached over and grabbed the mouse once Hikaru's hand was away from it. "I need to show you how to use E-mail links now."

For the next hour, he walked the other boy through using several types of Web sites. At a couple of points, he could almost feel Hikaru's eyes burning him, as if the other boy were looking him up and down. Of course, he was struggling not to do the same thing.

Finally, Hikaru sat back from the screen with a broad smile. "Well, now that I know how to do this, I know what I'm going to do now."

"Oh?" Akira said, turning his chair toward his friend, suddenly feeling a bit playful. "And what is that?"

"I'm going to look up every one of your kifu and figure out how to defeat you."

"Well, that's funny," Akira said, "because I've been doing the same thing with yours for a long time."

They both laughed, feeling relaxed and calm . . . something they rarely had felt in each other's presence before.

Hikaru suddenly leaned over, closing the distance between them rapidly, put a hand on Akira's shoulder and brought their lips together in a gentle, tender kiss.

Akira's moment of surprise was brief. He kissed back, softly, and let out a little sigh of disappointment when Hikaru eased away.

"I wanted to make sure yesterday wasn't a fluke," Hikaru said, in a voice barely above a whisper.

Akira felt pure joy flooding through him, as if he'd just realized he was one step closer to the Hand of God. He reached over and wrapped his arms around Hikaru, pulling him closer.

"This is what you really came here for, isn't it?" he said.

Hikaru just nodded in the affirmative, wrapping his arms around Akira as well.

"Well, then, I don't want to disappoint you."

He leaned over and brought his lips to Hikaru's . . . soft, gentle, a feathery little brush. Hikaru let out a small sound of pleasure and leaned into the kiss, pushing harder against Akira, his arms holding him tighter.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, both boys' lips began to open, and there was a breathless moment as if both were wondering who was going to take the next step. It was Hikaru who pushed his tongue into Akira's mouth, tentatively, bit by bit, like a swimmer testing the waters before diving in.

Once the two tongues made contact, however, it was like something had caught fire in both of them. They kissed hungrily, beginning to explore each others' mouths with swirls and flicks and strokes. Their hearts pounded, their heads spinning . . . both of them were feeling fear, and confusion, and wondering what the hell they were doing, whether they should put the brakes on before it was too late.

But other emotions overwhelmed them. And before either of them quite knew what was happening, Hikaru's mouth was leaving Akira's and starting to kiss down his neck, as his right hand yanked at the bottom of Akira's shirt, pulling it out of his pants so he could slip his hand up inside.

Akira let out a gasp at the feel of his rival's fingers trailing over bare skin, up his stomach, to his chest. *This is Shindou,* he thought. *I'm actually doing this with Shindou!* But the idea was more thrilling than disturbing, and as Hikaru began to suck on his neck, all fears were blotted out of Akira's mind.

"Shindou!" he gasped.

Hikaru raised his head, kissed Akira's earlobe and whispered huskily, "Hikaru. If we're going to do this . . . you're going to call me Hikaru."

Akira let out another moan. Every inch of his body seemed to be screaming for Hikaru to touch it. He'd call the other boy anything he wanted, if only he'd do *more*! And that wasn't going to happen with them sitting at Akira's computer.

"Well, if we're going to do this . . ." He eased away from Hikaru, stood up, and crossed the room.

Hikaru pulled back, baffled and a bit hurt. *Did I do something wrong?* he thought. *Damn, why didn't I pay closer attention when the guys at school were talking about what they do with girls? But . . . Touya's a guy . . . I have no idea what I'm doing!*

His eyes followed the other boy as he moved to the closet, opened it up, and pulled out a large roll of thick fabric. He brought it to the center of the room and unfurled it.

*His futon,* Hikaru thought, and suddenly, his head was swimming again. This brought it home . . . there was no turning back now, they were going to *do it*.

Once Akira had the bedding unrolled and hastily made up, he sat in the center of it, opening his arms to Hikaru. The blond got the message. He hurled himself at Akira like a freight train and slammed into him in a tackle that sent both of them sprawling in a tangle of arms and legs.

Hikaru pulled back, blushing and sweating. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to . . ."

But Akira just looped an arm around Hikaru's neck and pulled his head down. Their lips met again, and this time, they opened instantly. Hikaru probed Akira's mouth hungrily, reaching down to his chest again . . . dammit, where was the place where he'd stuck his hand up his shirt before? He groped around at his stomach in confusion, encountering nothing but endless fabric that seemed attached permanently to his pants.

Hikaru was determined to get under that damn shirt if it killed him. He wanted Akira laid bare to his hands, his lips and tongue. When their mouths eased apart, he pulled back and began to fumble at the buttons . . . which didn't seem to want to go through the holes, no matter how he twisted and pushed them.

"This would be easier if you wore pullovers like I do," Hikaru grumbled.

Akira whispered, "Here . . . let me help you." He began to reach for his shirt buttons . . . just as Hikaru bent over to try to work on them again, and he ended up whacking Hikaru in the head. Now it was Akira's turn to stammer "I'm sorry . . ."

"Look . . . let's just do this . . ." Hikaru rolled away from Akira, pulled off his own shirt and flung it away. Akira took that as his cue to do the same. They wrapped their arms around each other and began to kiss again, and the sensation of bare skin on bare skin made both of them feel like they were on fire. They writhed against each other, delighting in the friction, the warmth, the soft smoothness.

Akira found himself rolling them both over so he was lying on top of Hikaru, and he started kissing down his neck, as the other boy had been doing to him. Hikaru's skin felt and tasted so good . . . he slowed down the kissing so he could savor it, enjoy it, and when Hikaru let out a small moan of pleasure, he knew he had to be doing something right.

He kept going past the hollow of his throat, down to his chest, as he began to brush his fingers up and down his sides. His eyes traveled over his body . . . oh, gods, what he do next? This was totally uncharted territory to him. . . . he didn't even have the benefit of guys' locker room talk to draw on. Kaio was an intellectually oriented school, not an athletic one -- and very few people there talked to him anyway.

For the first time in his life, Touya Akira was unsure of what his next move was.

Hikaru felt Akira stop moving, and he began to panic. Was he going to stop? Was this it? Was Akira going to leave him high, dry, and feeling like a rampaging whirlpool of hormones?

"Touy-" he started to say, then remembered what he himself had said to Akira before. If they were going to do this, they were on first name terms. "Akira?"

Now it was Akira's turn to panic. *He knows something's wrong,* he thought. *I have to do something, anything . . .*

His eyes fell on Hikaru's nipples. His sexual knowledge may have been basic, but he did know it felt good for a woman to have her breasts caressed, kissed and sucked. Did the same hold true for a man?

He leaned over one small bud and gave it a tentative kiss. Hikaru jumped and gasped, and that encouraged him. He kissed it again, and again, and then drew it in his lips and began to suck.

A huge jolt surged through Hikaru's body. He couldn't believe it! He would have never thought something like that would feel like *this* . . . He pressed his knuckles to his mouth, letting out a low, long sound of pleasure as Akira's lips continued to tug at the nipple.

Akira raised his head and began to flick at the now-hardened nub with his tongue. The more Hikaru moaned, the more his body writhed beneath Akira, the more his hands clutched at his back, the hotter the fire in Akira's own blood burned.

He moved his mouth to the other nipple and began to suck again, more enthusiastically this time, wrapping his lips around it tightly. He started to experiment with changes in speed, in pressure . . . long and slow first, then sharp, rapid little draws.

Hikaru gasped "Akira . . . Akira!" as his legs wrapped around his lover's hips, pressing their erections together through the layers of cloth both still wore.

He began to thrust, and felt Akira start to thrust in return, which just made him moan all the louder, arching upward against his rival as he squeezed his eyes shut tight, his mouth open in a gasp, his breath coming in short pants.

Akira raised his head. "Oh, gods, Hikaru . . . get these pants off . . ."

They pulled apart, hands reaching for each other's zippers and colliding, making both boys laugh. They finally managed to get the offending garments open and off, followed by their underwear.

They turned to each other and paused. They'd seen each other many times since they first met . . . but now . . . it was like looking at another person.

This wasn't the fierce rival to be faced over a goban. This was someone naked and beautiful and aroused, wanting only to give and receive pleasure.

Akira reached out with a trembling hand and stroked the side of the other boy's face. "Hikaru . . ." he whispered.

Hikaru covered Akira's hand with his own. Their eyes continued to trail over each other's bodies, both feeling suspended out of time and out of place.

Then, Hikaru lay back down on he futon, opening his arms. "Hey . . . aren't you going to go back to what we were doing?"

Akira's answer to that was to bring his lips to Hikaru's in a fierce kiss again, claiming the boy as his own, pushing his tongue in and out rapidly as his fingers reached for both nipples. He brushed over them lightly, then in rapid circles as Hikaru's legs wrapped around him again, their hips moving rapidly, erection brushing against erection, each contact sending a small, tingling shiver through both bodies.

Hikaru began running his hands up and down Akira's back with a rapid stroke, moving down a little further each time. *I want to make him feel good*, he thought, *like he did with me.*

Tentatively, he grasped Akira's bottom, squeezing the cheeks lightly. Akira's mouth broke from Hikaru's and he let out a sharp little cry of pleasure.

*Hmm,* thought Hikaru, *I must be doing something right.* He did it again, a bit harder this time, and was rewarded with another little cry. He grew bolder, starting to massage them, rubbing in little circles.

He looked up . . Akira's eyes were closed, his head tipping back, his hair falling softly over his shoulders. His lips were parted and moist, his voice soft and husky as he moaned "Hikaru . . that feels so good . . ."

Hikaru, encouraged, began to slip a finger into the cleft , feeling around, brushing a little here, a little there. Akira cried out again, lost in bliss . . .

And then, there was a sharp, searing pain as the finger pushed inside him. Akira jumped and gave a loud yelp.

Hikaru turned bright red, a look of horror crossing his face. "I'm sorry!" he cried. *Oh, no,* he thought. *I've ruined it. I have to do something. If he gets off me, it'll be all over, and it might not happen again*

Quickly, he grabbed Akira's head and pulled it down, kissing his lover hard. He panicked when he didn't respond at first. *I really have ruined it,* he thought.

Akira was still a jumble of confused thoughts. The pain had caught him off-guard, he was trying to get his bearings . . . and now, Hikaru was kissing him again . . .

Then, Akira's lips softened, and he began to kiss back. Hikaru rolled them both over so that he was on top.

*Pleasure,* he thought. *I have to give him a lot of pleasure, to make up for that pain.*

He started to kiss down Akira's neck again, pausing to suck like he'd done before. He heard his lover give a little moan, felt his body start to relax.

He kissed lower, moving down his chest. He looked over at his nipples . . yes, he'd do what Akira was doing to him .. .

When Akira felt Hikaru's tongue start to slide over his nipple, he groaned, tangling his fingers in the other boy's hair. *This is how it feels?* he thought. *No wonder Hikaru liked it so much!* And when Hikaru drew him into his lips and started to suck, all conscious thought ebbed away as he surrendered to sweet waves of pleasure starting to envelop him, blotting out the pain he'd felt before.

Hikaru moved his mouth to the other nipple . . . he was starting to like giving this almost as much as receiving it. The hard nub felt so good under his lips and tongue . . . he brushed a feathery kiss over it, then followed that with rapid little fluttery licks.

Akira was moaning, and arching against him, making Hikaru want to give him more, and more, and more.

There had to be something else he could do. As his tongue swirled over one bud, and his fingers stroked the other, he wracked his brain, trying to come up with something else the guys had talked about when it came to sex.

And then, he remembered something that girls did, which guys loved . . . but could *he* do it? It didn't sound easy . . . or, frankly, all that pleasant.

But to give Akira pleasure, he'd do it.

He moved down his lover's body until his mouth was even with his manhood. It looked . . . strange. He'd seen his own in the mirror many times, but when you were looking at someone else's, at close range -- it was as if he'd never seen one before, like it was some kind of alien creature.

He swallowed hard with nerves, opened his lips and began to slide Akira's erection in.

It felt big, and hot, and odd . . . not unpleasant, though. Neither was the taste, although that was a bit odd, too . . . salty, and something else he couldn't identify. But it was something he could definitely keep doing.

Akira's eyes flew open, and he gasped. What was this? Hot, and wet, and sending rapid pulses of luscious sensation through him . . . unlike anything he'd felt before. He looked down and gasped. Hikaru had him . . . in his *mouth*?

Hikaru began to suck, and to move his head back and forth. He was getting used to this now. He was starting to like the way Akira filled his mouth, the sensation of the flesh sliding over lips and tongue . . . and the loud moans and writhing that resulted.

Akira could do nothing but lay back, the sweet warmth overwhelming him as he gasped and panted and moaned . . . oh, he couldn't believe Hikaru was doing this, that anyone would do this, but he didn't care, it felt so, so good.

His body twisted this way and that, as if it could hardly contain the pleasure, and then he was arching upward . . . something was building in him, rapidly, a heat and pressure that made him feel like he was going to explode.

Hikaru moved his head quicker. Akira's breathing was getting heavier, his moans louder, more urgent. He wanted to bring his lover to fulfillment, and he knew he was almost there .. .

Suddenly, Akira felt like the whole world had frozen in place around him . . . and then it shattered, violently, in waves of ecstasy that felt like they were going to tear his whole body apart. He nearly screamed as he shuddered, and shuddered again, and then fell back to the bed, dazed, panting, his hand across his eyes.

Hikaru felt his mouth flood with sticky fluid, which he swallowed without thinking. He kissed his way back up Akira's stomach . . . his lover was laying limp as a rag doll, letting out small whimpers.

He kissed Akira's lips and whispered, playfully, "Hi!"

Akira dragged his hand slowly away from his eyes. The room was spinning around him. Gradually, it came back into focus . . . and there was Hikaru. He kissed him back, gently. "Oh . . . hi."

Somewhere in the back of his still-fuzzy mind, he realized Hikaru had taken him all the way to climax . . . and he hadn't done the same for him yet.

The last thing in the world he wanted was always for Hikaru to get ahead of him.

He kissed the other boy hard, flipping them both over so he was on top. He swept a hand down his body, then back up again, teasing the nipples, squeezing his stomach. He reached down to Hikaru's leg, running his hand up and down his thigh . . . and stopping when he hit a sensitive spot near where it met the pelvis.

"There," Hikaru gasped. "Touch there again . . ."

"Here?" Akira said, caressing the spot with rapid flicks of his fingers.

"Aaaaahhh!" Hikaru gasped. "Yes! Yes . . ."

Akira began to massage the thigh rapidly, kissing Hikaru's lips, neck, ears. "This feels good?"

"Yes! Soo good . . ."

"Wouldn't it feel better if I touched you . . . here?" And Akira moved his hand over to Hikaru's erection, brushing his fingers rapidly over the shaft, making him give a loud cry. He wrapped his fingers around it . . . gently, he didn't want to hurt Hikaru . . . and started to pump with an up-and-down motion.

"Ohhh!" Hikaru cried, arching his hips upward. "Don't stop!"

"This does feel better, doesn't it?" Akira lowered his head, kissing Hikaru's nipple, making the other boy give a little shriek. He stroked slower, moving his fingers up to the head and caressing it gently, making Hikaru give a deep moan.

*What would it be like,* Akira thought, *to do the same thing he was just doing to me?*

He slid down Hikaru's body until he could reach his erection with his mouth. He kissed the head, gently, softly, and felt Hikaru tremble and cry out. He reached out with his tongue and gave a tentative lick, and when that brought a louder cry, he began to lap at it faster, harder, sliding it back and forth over the heated flesh.

Hikaru whimpered with pleasure at the feel of the soft wetness sliding over his most sensitive flesh. He was going to burst into flames, he just knew it, but he didn't care, he just wanted this to go on and on . . .

"Suck," he moaned out loud. "Suck, please!"

Akira did what he was told. He opened his mouth and took Hikaru in rapidly -- too rapidly. He choked and pulled back, gasping.

Hikaru sat up. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes." Akira took a deep breath. *All right, that didn't work,* he thought. *Maybe I have to do it slower.*

And he began to slide Hikaru in again, bit by bit, pausing to suck a little, then putting a bit more in, then a little more sucking. He began a steady in-and-out movement, thinking he had finally got the hang of it.

Hikaru groaned . . . *So good,* he thought, *no wonder Akira liked it . . .* It was filling him with electric heat, faster and faster and . . .

He suddenly cried out, feeling a rush of ecstasy shoot through his veins like a cannonball, arching into Akira's mouth as he was wracked by luscious spasms.

Akira choked again as Hikaru's seed rushed into his mouth. He pulled away, grabbing for the tissues he kept at the foot of his desk, spitting the fluid into it and rapidly throwing it away before Hikaru could notice.

He moved back up to kiss his lover's lips, tenderly. He lay his head on Hikaru's chest, and they wrapped their arms around each other, Hikaru making a little purring sound of pleasure.

"Wow," Akira whispered, as Hikaru kissed his neck gently. He reached over and stroked Hikaru's tousled blond bangs over dreamy, sleepy eyes, thinking that he had never seen anything more beautiful in his life.

"Hikaru," he said, "what happens now?"

Hikaru looked up into Akira's eyes with a smile. "More of the same, I guess," he said jokingly. Lowering his head to Akira's chest again, he said, "We'll just be . . . together. When we can."

"And what about Go?"

Hikaru raised his head. "Nothing different. You're still my rival. I don't want that to change. Do you?"

"No," Akira said, stroking Hikaru's hair again. "Definitely not." *I need that rivalry,* he thought. *I need it to keep moving forward . . . and so does he.*

Hikaru moved up so he was lying on the pillow next to Akira. "Mostly," he said with a yawn, "I think we're just going to take it one step at a time."

One step at a time . . . that certainly sounded good to Akira. He pulled the other boy in his arms.

*Yes,* Akira thought as he started to drift off to sleep, *one step at a time is very, very good.*

* * *

Somewhere in a realm beyond time and space, where souls rest in between incarnations, a spirit observed what was going on between these two boys.

He was thrilled to death with this development. Oh, the romantic and sexual relationship came as a bit of a surprise -- he'd aimed at drawing the boys closer together, but not quite *that* close -- but it served the purpose he'd wanted to accomplish.

He wished there was another way he could have told Akira the truth about himself, about Hikaru and about those games he'd played against him, rather than invading his dreams.

But he could no longer manifest on the physical plane, not until he'd taken another body. And contacting Hikaru to relay the message would not have worked -- he knew Touya would not believe the story without some concrete evidence to back it up.

He could now be sure that Touya Akira would fulfil all the roles that he used to play in Hikaru's life . . . looking out for him, spurring him on to greater heights.

After all, he knew Akira was destined to be more than a mere passing rival to Hikaru. During his time on earth, he'd been able to see something no living being could -- a red thread of destiny connecting their souls.

*And now,* Fujiwara no Sai thought, *it is time for that destiny to come into fruition. At last. And I can't wait to see what happens.*


AUTHOR'S NOTES
A huge, huge debt of gratitude for this series goes to Aishuu. She was the one who helped me organize my disjointed fic ideas into a coherent whole, gave the series and its individual chapters a title, co-beta read it and provided encouragement throughout. I could not have done it without her.

Many, many thanks also go to Lady Cosmos, who got me hooked on this series; Steve Savage, who, as usual, proved to be The Best Editor A Writer Ever Had Bar None; and the members of Go Go Neko, who have always been there for me.

Hikaru no Go is property of Yumi Hotta, Takeshi Obata and Shueisha. These characters ain't mine, I'm just borrowing them for a little while.