Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Riding the Wave ❯ Lessons to Learn ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Riding the Wave

Lessons to Learn

I'm never going to remember all those words, Saya thought to herself, biting her lower lip. That was the problem with having an intuitive grasp of something. She knew the how and the why of playing go, but the vocabulary was not coming as easily.

"Touya-sensei is going to hate me. He'll tell me I'm not worthy of being a pro if I can't remember all of this, and he'll stop teaching me. Grandmother, I--"

"Stop your crying," the old woman said gently, putting a box down on the table before her with a grunt. "I'm sure he was a child once too, so he'll be sure to understand if you can't learn some things overnight. Now, this is the last of your father's old books and magazines. I'm glad I didn't throw them out when we cleaned up the house, but I had a feeling you'd follow in his footsteps."

"Did Daddy want to be a pro too?"

Grandmother nodded, looking sad. "He wanted to, but I...I discouraged him. I told him he was too intelligent to sit around and play games all day. He was a good son, and he never disagreed with me, but I've always wondered if I did the right thing."

Saya squirmed, not sure how to take her grandmother's words or her regretful tone. "He still loved to play though, all the time. Mommy and Daddy would play sometimes, and I would fall asleep while I watched them. They both loved it."

"I'm sure they did," Grandmother murmured, then stood tall. She ruffled Saya's hair casually and moved to leave the room. "I hope those things can help you learn better, child. Take care of them, they're in your keeping now."

She practically glowed at those words, feeling very grown up now. With an almost reverent feel, she began to look through the box. One of the first things to catch her eye was a book. The cover was simple and elegant, and it looked like it had been read and reread often. The author's name startled her though--Touya Kouyo. Sensei's given name was Akira, but was this person a relative of his? Shindou-sensei had said something about being born with go stones in his hands, so was this how Sensei had learned?

Saya hugged the book to her chest; it made her feel like she'd found some link in an invisible chain. If any book could help her understand better, it would be this one, right? If any book could help her learn what words she needed, and how to improve, it would be this.

With exaggerated care, she placed the book to the side and began looking at the pile of newspapers at the bottom. Weekly World Go, they announced proudly at the top of each front page. There were many boxes of these that her father had saved over his lifetime.

This one though....

This one had Shindou-sensei on the front. Saya was at first thrilled to see a familiar face, smiling at how much younger and more carefree he looked there. How long ago was this? Only three years? That meant he'd aged a great deal in that much time, because he looked a lot older now.

The headline seemed to explain that though. "Scandal Rocks the Go World!" She scanned the article, catching things completely unexpected. "...Accusations of cheating and throwing games for each other...admittedly living together for years now...using inside information...gambling...." None of this sounded like Shindou-sensei at all. Then, there were more things about his past that Saya also didn't like. He was accused of being arrogant and irreverent, making a mockery of go. They pointed out many times how he was "known for skipping games for no reason." She hurriedly skipped to the rest of the article and saw another picture, this one with Shindou-sensei and another guy. "Denied reports of being more than just roommates," and "have it on good authority that they are hiding something from the press. Something that could be devastating to one or both of their reputations."

Saya's blood ran cold. She stopped skimming and began reading in depth, uncomfortable with what she was reading. It couldn't be true. He was so kind. He was so fun. He was understanding and--

"Saya-chan!"

She nearly jumped out of her skin, feeling guilty for what she'd been reading. She'd hoped to go over certain moves, not dredge up old gossip. Now she had to leave for her lesson, and wasn't any closer to learning the assigned terms. Even worse, the disturbing news was buzzing through her mind and shoving all other thoughts aside.

"I'm coming! Thank you for reminding me!" Her eyes lingered on the picture of the guy with the wild red hair though, and she couldn't stop wondering what kind of person this Waya Yoshitaka was, and what kind of bad influence he had been on Shindou-sensei. It was beyond the realm of possibility that it was the other way around, since that devilish red hair alone proved her theory.

But, she'd have to keep an eye on Shindou-sensei anyway now. Just in case.

"Hurry up, child. You're going to be late." Grandmother sounded slightly out of breath as she appeared in the bedroom doorway. She was paler than usual, but Saya barely paid attention to that. Some days were better than others, and Grandmother explained that it was just part of growing old. She was sweating too, but again that wasn't too noteworthy....

"I love you, Grandmother!" Saya raced from the room and gave the old woman a hug in passing. "I'll be back later tonight!"

She rushed from the house so quickly she didn't know if Grandmother said anything in reply.

~~~~~@~~~~~

In the end Saya barely made it to Sensei's house in time. She was still trying to catch her breath while she toed off her shoes, beaming in triumph for arriving in time despite her late start. She paused though when she saw Sensei's stricken face as he rounded the corner, phone against his ear, hand over the receiver. "You might want to leave your shoes on, Saya-chan."

His voice was so gentle, and she knew that tone of voice. Not that he'd ever used it, but it was the same tone she'd heard a year ago, everywhere she went. First from the officer, then doctors, and finally her grandmother who had taken her in-- "No."

He returned his attention to the phone though. "No, that's not necessary. I could call you when I return home, and let you know what will happen then." A pause. "If you want to. I'm sure she'll appreciate a friendly face at least. Hopefully we won't be there that long though." Another pause. "No. I'll see you there then. Yes."

And then his attention was completely on Saya.

"We need to go to the hospital. It's your grandmother. Apparently, just after you left she called an ambulance. They think it's her heart, since she's had problems like this before."

Saya nodded blankly, still with one shoe on and one shoe off. He was still talking, putting his shoes on now, grabbing his keys, guiding her out the door....

"She'll be okay though. Right?"

He stopped in the middle of the yard and looked at her. That he even paused to consider his words told her a lot. "I'm sure she will," he finally said, smiling sadly. Saya knew though that this was grown-up speak for no, but I don't want you to worry.

And that, of course, meant that there was something to worry about. She followed him to the car and carefully made sure both of their seat belts were fastened. Sensei was surprised by this, but played along as grown-ups did. The ride passed in silence, and neither of them said anything until they arrived. Even then, the only words either of them spoke were to find out what was going on, and where they should go. Grandmother was being treated in the emergency ward, and she could see no visitors at the moment, so they found themselves in a waiting room.

Saya sat in a chair and swung her legs back and forth impatiently for the most part. Once in a while she stood up and thought about walking around, but she always sat back down. What if a doctor came in to tell her she could see Grandmother? She didn't want to miss that.

They waited in silence for what seemed like forever, and eventually Shindou-sensei walked in. Her tummy felt fluttery when she saw him, and she said a quiet hello. She wasn't sure if she wanted to see him or not--torn between gratitude for being there and apprehension because of all the things she'd read about him.

"You must be very worried, Saya," he said softly, sitting next to her.

She nodded, staring at her hands as they twisted in her lap. "She'll come home tonight though, so I can sleep in my own bed. She always does." There was that little doubt though, just like when she sat in this same waiting room and waited for her parents to take her home a year ago...made even worse because they never had.

"This has happened before?" Touya-sensei asked.

"A couple of times. Her heart is bad, but the doctors can make it better. They always do. When I was little, she had a surgery and was in the hospital for a long time, but it's been years and she said that she should be all better now." Even as she spoke though, she realized how silly her words were. Those were the things she was told as a five-year-old, half her lifetime ago. She knew better now. People died from these things all the time, even after surgery.

A look at the adults' faces backed up her thoughts that her words had been simple and overly optimistic. Still....

"When I was a few years older than you," Touya-sensei said, "my father had a heart attack. He has rearranged his life, and he listens to his doctors, and he's lived well since. There's no reason to lose hope just because we're here, Saya-chan."

"Your grandmother will be just fine," Shindou-sensei said enthusiastically, giving her a thumbs up. "You just need to have faith that everything will work out."

She was very grateful suddenly that they were both here. Touya-sensei was like a rock she could lean against, his experience and gentle understanding helped her to keep from falling out of despair. Shindou-sensei went a step further and buoyed her spirits, like the sun after a dreary stormy day. She forgot for a while all that she'd read about him and smiled while they both continued to cheer her up. For a while, they were almost like friends--or rather, almost like the family she no longer had.

~~~~~@~~~~~

As time went on and they continued to wait, Shindou-sensei pulled out a well-worn magnetic goban. After a little discussion the two pros started playing each other in the waiting room in lieu of their now regular weekly game. It was set on a chair between the two, and Saya sat on the floor beside it and watched their game. She had her arms folded at the edge of the chair, and as she watched her head grew heavier and heavier. Finally she rested it on her arms and forgot all about who was playing which color. They were the lights in the sky, and it was an epic battle between night and day. Sometimes the darkness seemed to pull ahead, sometimes it was the bright light, but in the end it was even. She was drifting off and murmured softly, "Mama has gotten a lot better, Papa. I love to watch you play...."

The next thing she knew she was being shaken awake. "Saya-chan. Wake up. Your grandmother is awake, and you can see her now for a few minutes."

A few minutes? She swallowed, but nodded drowsily. The trio followed a doctor to a darkened room, and they heard the distinctive beep of a heart monitor. The light over the bed was on though, and Grandmother was sitting there, propped up by pillows. "Saya-chan, it's so late sweetheart. I'm so sorry to worry you like this." She held out her arms, and Saya rushed into them to hug her grandmother.

"I got a little bit of sleep in the waiting room. Don't worry about me. You just get all better!" Saya smiled as bravely as she could, blinking rapidly to keep herself from spilling useless tears.

"The doctor said I need surgery first thing in the morning. I'm afraid I have to stay here for a while. Is there a friend at school you might want to stay with starting tomorrow? I'll ask the doctors if they can let you sleep in the bed here tonight, since it's too late to disturb your classmates." She was smiling gently, but even this much planning made the stress apparent on her face.

Saya thought, running through her list of friends. Kentaro-kun was expecting a little sister soon. Sato-kun was still a little distant since he'd lost to her at the tournament, though they'd made up right away. Sakura-chan had a house full of brothers and sisters already. Ayame-chan was in a tiny apartment and didn't really have room for guests....

"If it is okay with you," Touya-sensei began softly, "She could stay with me for the time being."

Saya's heart skipped a beat. She looked at him and then looked at Grandmother, hope shining in her eyes.

Grandmother frowned. "I would hate to impose, since you have been so generous already."

"It would be no imposition. I have an extra room, and I would be more than happy to help. She's my brightest student, and has always been very polite."

Saya's eyes grew wide at such praise. It was the last thing she'd expected--and clearly the last thing Grandmother had expected since her eyes had gone wide as well.

"If you've managed to bring Saya-chan's polite side out this whole time, you're gifted indeed." It wasn't said unkindly, but Saya still pouted to hear such teasing. "If you are sure it is not an imposition, I would be happy to leave Saya-chan in your hands."

From there it was just a matter of hammering out formalities like bedtime and other boring details. Saya tuned the rest out, paying only enough attention to agree to obey when prompted. If she couldn't stay at home, she couldn't think of a place where she'd be happier. She imagined nights of hearing go stones as they clicked onto the board; her curled up on the floor watching beside. It would be just like home--home before Grandmother.

Saya hugged Grandmother tightly once again. "Thank you. I'll do my best."

"I know, child. You always do."