InuYasha Fan Fiction / Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Clash of the Egos ❯ Bellflower Hollow ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Bleach or Inuyasha so don't you dare try to sue me!
 
Chapter 2: Bellflower Hollow
 
After the light surrounded them, the group of four landed softly at the bottom of, what do you know, the same exact well. Ichigo crossed his arms and scowled, “That didn't do anything! We're in the same exact place as we were before!” He still felt enraged that the girl called Kagome had rudely pulled them into the well without warning. And also after her dog-boy had interrupted his fight with the hollows. He stood there for a moment frowning down at the dirt covered ground before noticing that both of the strangers along with Rukia were gone.
 
“H-hey!” he stammered, looking up and seeing Rukia's face at the top, smirking down at him.
 
“Well, climb up already, Ichigo!” she said and waved at him.
 
Ichigo muttered to himself, saying something about stupid dog people and crazy girls before climbing up the vines lining the stone walls of the well. He pulled himself up from the lip of the well and looked around in awe, seeing a forest of lush green. No smell of pollution so loud noises of cars honking in traffic. Just pure silence. He stood from the well, still scowling, “Where the hell are we?” he asked Rukia.
 
“I do not know but we might as well follow the girl and the dog. They'll explain.” She replied, walking behind Kagome and Inuyasha. The long beeping of her phone still rang in their ears and it was giving Ichigo a headache. He looked over her shoulder down at the small phone, which said that the location of the hollow was near.
 
Then he saw Inuyasha stiffen as they entered the wall of trees, around the clearing. Something obviously agitated the dog because he stopped and lifted his nose to the air as if smelling something. `Probably smells some other dog's shit.' He thought sourly.
 
“Hey, Inuyasha,” Kagome asks, “What wrong?” she stepped up beside him and waved a hand over his face. Ichigo followed the dog man's gaze, it falling on a slender white figure standing before an enormous tree, kind of like the one back at the little shrine.
 
“K-Ki…” Inuyasha muttered as if in a trance.
 
“That's the hollow!” Rukia exclaimed as she stuffed the Soul Candy down Ichigo's throat. Ichigo felt his soul being ripped from his physical body. “Go and get it!” Rukia said loudly. The figure begins to walk away before Ichigo could even fully unsheathe Zanpaku-to and run over. He slashed down, barely missing its clothes. The hollow turned around, its face resembling that of a woman. `What?' he thought, `But-but she doesn't have a mask!' He froze in his spot, staring up at the woman's empty eyes.
 
“A-are you sure that's it?” he asked grinding his teeth if he had accidentally attacked a human. Rukia nodded.
 
“I'm positive! I can sense the evil in her!”
 
Ichigo nodded and charged again, missing almost every swing as if he was incompetent to the woman's movements. He slashed down one more time, shredding across her shoulder in a splatter of blood. She stumbled back and glared at him in hatred. Ichigo felt as if her seething gaze burned his skin and eyes. Before he could lift his sword for the final blow, hands pushed him up against the tree, pinning him to the bark. He watched the woman fade back into the darkness of the forest, disappearing.
 
“Inuyasha! What are you doing?” Kagome's voice yelled and Ichigo saw her pry Inuyasha's hands from his throat. “Are you crazy?” she scolded, “Why are you trying to kill him?”
 
“He was going to—” Inuyasha started but Rukia cut him off.
 
“Kill the hollow we have been after. You just ruined our chance of getting rid of the soul thief.”
 
Ichigo looked from Kagome to Inuyasha, noticing the tension going on between the two. “Just who was that?” he asked, sheathing Zanpaku-to.
 
“Kikyo…” she replied, barely audible as if she was saying it more to Inuyasha than Ichigo. Her eyes held anger and sadness and Ichigo wondered if something personal was going on. (A/n: He doesn't know the half of it…) Ichigo looked at Kagome's back as she stomped away, her hands curled into tight fists. He looked down at Inuyasha, “What was that all about?” he asked, watching the so-called half demon pull himself up from the ground. He seemed distant as if ignoring Ichigo's question purposefully. Inuyasha soon began to trail behind the girl like a loyal dog.
 
Ichigo frowned and asked Rukia, “What the hell is her problem?”
 
Rukia shook her head, “Maybe that was the other woman….” she said quietly as if talking to herself. Ichigo raised an eyebrow. He was about to question her words when she said, “We should follow them.”
 
“Why? I mean, we should go back home.” Ichigo said, frowning. “Why do we have to follow?” Despite his words he pursued after Rukia who had began to walk in the direction of where the girl and dog man had disappeared.
 
Rukia elbowed Ichigo harshly; “We did not finish a job. That means, we have to follow those people. They are the link to this hunt.” She stared straight ahead, probably thinking the same Ichigo was; `can we really trust these people?'
 
After a while of trudging on the grassy ground, the trees cleared. They were met with the wide view of the village below the hill they stood on. It looked rather barren, with small wooden houses and marshy rice fields. People in old-fashioned clothing worked in the sun or bartered at a market. “What the hell?” Ichigo couldn't believe his eyes. The place looked ancient and poor. After a moment of confused silence, the pair made their way down and entered the modest settlement. The place was busy, although as they passed, people stopped whatever they were doing to stare. They gawked, pointing and muttering about a demon and things. `This place looks like a movie set…' Ichigo thought as they wandered the dirt roads full of chickens and people and cows and it stunk.
 
“Where do you think they went?” Ichigo asked Rukia.
 
Rukia just shook her head as she watched the villagers, “I-I do not know. This place is somewhat confusing.” They finally had summed up the courage to ask one of the villagers about their new “companions.”
 
Rukia softly tapped the shoulder of an elderly man. “Um, excuse me, I am looking for an Inuyasha and a Kagome. “
 
“Hmm…do you speak of the hanyou and the young priestess?” The elderly man inquired as he squinted at Rukia. “May you young man be looking for an acquaintance?” Ichigo watched Rukia twitch in anger from the sudden gender confusion. Her fists tightened as if restraining to strangle the poor old guy.
 
Ichigo elbowed her and whispered, “We need to know where to go to find them!” to her as a warning.
 
With a sigh, she calmed herself and resumed, “Yes, they're exactly who I am looking for. You know where I can find them, old man?”
 
“Hmm? Oh, yes.” the old man scratched his head, “At Lady Kaede's hut. It is the last residence at the edge of the forest.” He pointed in a direction to the South, or that's what it seemed to Ichigo
 
“Thanks.” Rukia muttered before Ichigo grabbed her by the forearm and pulled her away from the man before she could react. They wandered to the confines of the village, seeing nothing but little children scurrying around playing with the animals. `This place stinks like shit,' Ichigo thought with his arms crossed as they walked. `I can't believe they actually live like this.' The villagers still seemed to have their eyes glued at the sight of Rukia, which annoyed him greatly. It was as if they were put on the spot for people to ogle and stare and point. He frowned the whole way.
 
Finally, they found the supposed hut of “Lady Kaede.” It was just as small and weathered as the rest of the village showing no evidence of being the home of a priestess. There was a shade, as if that was supposed to be the door. It also seemed dark in there. Rukia and Ichigo approached the home. Ichigo, being crude, just pushed aside the shade that was serving as the door.
 
“Hey-” Ichigo started, but was instantly faced with Inuyasha, the cat, er, dog man or whatever.
 
“You again,” He snarled, his eyes narrowed, “What the hell do you want?” Ichigo matched Inuyasha's glare. He seriously didn't like the guy. His ego was WAY too big.
 
“We wish to speak with you and Kagome.” Rukia replied calmly, her arms crossed and giving Inuyasha a dead stare.
 
“Inuyasha, who is at the door?” Came the voice of an aged woman through the doorway.
 
“A stupid samurai guy and a deranged girl.” Inuyasha said over his shoulder.
 
“Let them in!” Now it was the voice of Kagome. Grudgingly, Inuyasha stepped aside and let the two people pass. The inside of the home had a warm feel in it, and was surprisingly big. It could've fit ten people if the need ever came up. Ichigo looked down at three people he didn't recognize sitting on the wooden floor beside a small fire. The elderly woman, hair gray and an eye patch going across her face to her right eye. There was also a younger woman maybe seventeen or so. She wore casual, colorful clothes like the other people of the village and had long and straight black hair. At her side rested a giant white boomerang that Ichigo had a feeling was a weapon. Her look was one of keen observation. Sitting next to her was a man in his early twenties wearing the purple robes of a Buddhist monk. His hair was tied in a small ponytail in the back. The only item with him that resembled a weapon was the staff lying across his lap. `They look human enough.' Ichigo thought.
 
“Uh, hello.” Rukia said quietly slightly waving.
 
Ichigo frowned as usual saying, “Hey.” He didn't like being around strangers let alone being stared down by Dog-boy. He crossed his arms and leaned back against the wall by the doorway, trying to act casual.
 
 
“These are the people I was talking about.” Kagome said happily and standing up and standing in front of Ichigo and Rukia. “Ichigo Kurosaki and Rukia Kuchiki! They saved me from those spirits.”
 
The older girl nodded, “Hello, nice to meet you. I am Sango.”
 
The monk, Ichigo supposed, smiled and stood immediately, pushing Kagome aside slight and taking Rukia's hands in his. “Do all girl's from modern times look as beautiful as you are?” he asked, “Will you have the honor to bear my child?”
 
Awkward silence filled the room. Ichigo just smirked a bit at Rukia who froze. The girl called Sango stood and looked like she was about to grab her boomerang and smack the monk across the head. Ichigo instead pushed the monk over, insulting Rukia was something he would like to laugh about but right now wasn't the time to fool around.
 
“We came here for a reason. Not to converse with some perverted priest.” Ichigo said harshly, “We would like to get out of here as soon as possible.”
 
The monk nodded and rubbed the back of his head with a nervous laugh, “I suppose so. I should really be introducing myself.” He stood and brushed his robes off, “I am Miroku.”
 
The old woman finally looked up at the two, “I am Kaede, priestess of this small village. Any friend of young Kagome's is a friend of mine.”
 
Ichigo shrugged off the welcome and asked, “I just want to ask you something. Who was that hollow woman? And why did Inuyasha stop us from killing her?”
 
“Yes. A Shinigami's duty is to purify all hollows.” Rukia explained, “Our assignment was to rid the forest of that particular evil spirit.” A tense moment hovered in the air between the visitors and the residents. Ichigo felt something like as if that wasn't the right question and immediately regretted asking it.

“That,” says Kaede “was my older sister Kikyo.”
 
~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>
 
A white figure sat under the shadow of a willow tree next to a lily pond. Her black hair fell over her shoulders and down her back, slightly brushing the ground. Her dark brown eyes were staring off into the distance. The forest at this time was misty and mysterious as though there was something watching her from every shadow. Kikyo sat poised and aware of the world around as she gathered souls from her Shikigami. She enjoyed times like this where she could be alone with nature. Though it really didn't matter, she couldn't feel the soft breeze or the grass in which she sat on should be soft and moist to the touch.
 
Though all her thoughts wandered back to occurrence earlier that day. `So the spell was broken…' She smirked in grim thought. Why was the spell that protected her from the detection of Shinigami broken? It made no sense. Naraku had personally put that spell on her to protect her from the spirit hunters. But somehow a child, a mere child Shinigami was able to catch her by surprise and injure her. Kikyo scowled as she looked at the blood that stained her clothing. Though her flesh wasn't really living she could bleed and so freely also.
 
`What, what should I do to get rid of this particular Shinigami.' She thought, `His spiritual power was monstrous and so was his little companion's.' Just like that girl, Kagome. Kikyo felt anger burn in her chest from the thought of the little wretch, she was just an imitation after all. The priestess sighed, but somehow her rage did not calm itself. The more souls she gathered, the more they would be likely to sense her, though if she didn't take souls her own angry soul would be thrown and locked away in Hell.
 
“What does this Sesshomaru find here?” a voice says from behind and Kikyo slowly turned her head and looked at Inuyasha's elder brother coldly.
 
“What business do you have here?” she asks, glaring at the demon as she stood idly. She never really met Sesshomaru however she never desired to.
 
Sesshomaru's golden eyes narrowed as if she had insulted him. “How dare you speak to Lord Sesshomaru as if you are his equal!” a small frog demon yelled in the most annoying of all voices. Kikyo looked upon the small demon in disgust but didn't say anything.
 
Sesshomaru silenced the small demon with a kick. He smashed the little thing's face in the grass as he spoke, “I witnessed that Shinigami assault you. Very interesting that a child can attack you without you even noticing.”
 
Kikyo scowled at the demon, “But you to witness such an event means you were wandering around my village, very suspicious. Planning your next defeat? I'm sure you couldn't handle your brother with Tetsusaiga.”
 
Even the cold mask of Sesshomaru's could not hide the anger that stirred in his face. Kikyo smirked in satisfaction. “What an insolent cur. I would inform you of the news I have heard from my servants about this discrete Shinigami.” He replied coldly, “Those little minions of yours couldn't do that can they? After all, they are only mindless carriers. You don't have the power to control such demons to help you. Because you are only a shell.” His eyebrows raised in curiosity, “It is a wonder why you were able to avoid Shinigami all this time. I presume it is a spell. You do not have the power to cast such an enchantment either.”
 
“Does it concern you?” Kikyo asked, staring at Sesshomaru squarely. “Your business should be somewhere else.” The demon lord doesn't answer. In silence, he turns and begins to walk into the shadows of the forest.
 
“…” Kikyo stood soundless, her anger building. That dog had to come here and eliminate every feeling of peace she felt prior to their meeting. She needed to concoct a plan to destroy that Shinigami before he got out of hand. She knew that he was not aware of the extent of his powers that would at least buy her some time.
 
~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>~>~>~>
 
“Your sister? That means she had to die like, eighty years ago.” Ichigo said, peering at the old woman.
 
Kaede rose from her seat and crossed the room, taking Ichigo's head in her withered old hands. “Child, has anyone told you that besides your rude attitude towards the elderly, you're spiritual powers are great. Almost greater than Kagome's.” Once again everyone fell silent.
 
“…I was aware of that.” Rukia said quietly, “But what surprises me is the power of Kagome. It is unbelievable.”
 
“Yeah, so?” Inuyasha remarked rudely “What's he gonna do for us?”
 
“Nothing if you're gonna be a little bitch about it.” Ichigo replied, glaring at Inuyasha. His anger was still boiling. The hostility Inuyasha threw at him was more intense than it was when they had first met. Was it because of the Kikyo girl? Rukia rested a hand on Ichigo's shoulder, and he quieted but his gaze never left Inuyasha and neither did the anger.
 
She then looked directly at Inuyasha, “You. A half demon? I have never heard of anything of such. Your hostility towards us has gone a little overboard. If you ask me Ichigo was doing the Shinigami duty. That woman, Kikyo, she was a hollow. No doubt about it.” She crossed her arms and stood straight to make herself taller but sadly couldn't. Though, her voice boomed like a god's. “You think that you can push someone around for doing something that you took personally. I bet someone did that to you. Didn't they?”
 
Inuyasha seemed to falter at her last statement and Ichigo felt everyone's gaze on them. Ichigo shook his head, “We didn't do anything purposefully to you, you loser. Just, drop it. Even if I killed her it wouldn't matter. She's dead anyway.”
 
“Don't you say that!” Inuyasha yelled, he ground his teeth. “You kill her and I'll do the same to you!”
 
“Bring it, Dog-boy!” Ichigo growled, “I fight like a demon!”
 
End Chapter
 
A/n: Man that was an intense chapter. Don't worry people there will be more comedy coming up but Drama is also one of the major parts of this story so be patient! Also, kikyo means Chinese bellflower {just so you know}