InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Ordinary Days ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 1: Ordinary Days
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha. I am writing this story for my own entertainment.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
Life can be humorous if you let it be; it just depends on how you opt to deal with the good and the bad.
 
Chapter 1: Ordinary Days
 
The length of the evening shadows was a sign to the closeness of the upcoming night. The streets were crowded with people hurrying to their homes. A young man was among them, though “young” in this case is a relative term. According to age he was young, for he was barely two months passed his 18th birthday, but a look into his deep brown eyes tell a different story. He held wisdom that could not be gained through living the mundane human life. No school could possibly teach what he knew.
 
He had seen more than most war vets by the age of 15. He knew the evils capable of a human soul as well as the good that is possible in a demon. The conclusion he came up with after seeing so much is this: Life can be humorous if you let it be; it just depends on how you opt to deal with the good and the bad. You can be bitter, greedy and become the bad guy or you can just learn to take things as they are and move on.
 
He walked swiftly, sporadically brushing against people walking in the opposite direction. Gone were the days of people recognizing his face and jumping out of his way in fear. He now blended in with the crowd, outwardly, just another man on his way home after a hard day's work.
 
The legends of him had died down but were not completely gone. There was those who were truly obsessed with making his reputation sound worse then it ever was that still, persistently, spread rumors of his whereabouts. The latest story was that after he had dropped out of school he went north followed by his two thousand minions and was currently plotting a hostile take-over of the Japanese government.
 
Sometimes his name would come up in passing reference to punks who could never amount to anything, but in all, the name of Yusuke Urameshi no longer had any meaning or power to the people of the human world. In demon and spirit world his name was well known, respected, and in some cases feared, but none of this mattered to him. People could say or not say whatever they wanted; they always had and always would. He never cared before and was not going to start caring anytime soon.
 
Yusuke came to his apartment building and went inside, taking the stairs to the sixth floor. The insurance Atsuko had on the apartment that was destroyed in Sensui's attack a few years earlier, which had made a move into a better and bigger place possible. Yusuke, though he shared the apartment with his mother, was alone and had been for two months since his mother went to rehab. To say that her going into a rehabilitation program was the best gift he had ever gotten would be an understatement. So this left Yusuke to take care of the apartment until she returned, which would be shortly before Yusuke's wedding to Kayko in four months.
 
Once in his apartment, Yusuke went straight to his bathroom to take a shower. He had a date with Kayko and he didn't want to show up smelling like his job. Shortly after returning from the demon world Yusuke took a job as a martial arts instructor that taught young children self-defense. Although it was appallingly below his abilities, Yusuke enjoyed his job because he got to work with children; plus, he had the added bonus of teaching the children something useful. It would also give him a way to support Kayko after they were married, since good paying jobs were limited for a junior high drop out.
 
After his shower Yusuke dressed in a white shirt, jeans, a pair of white running shoes, and a green jacket. He hardly ever wore his hair back anymore because the softer look caused by having his hair free fit more into the life he was now building with Kayko. Once he was ready, he headed to the park.
 
Yusuke walked down the path looking for Kayko and when he spotted her, she was smiling at him. He could tell she was in a good mood, despite the fact she had spent most of the day helping her father in his restaurant. She was wearing black jeans and a blue shirt, with her hair left long.
 
“Ready to go?” Yusuke said when he stopped in front of her.
 
“Not yet.” Kayko said as she reached up asking for a hug. Yusuke was leaning forward to comply with her silent request when he felt it; something was wrong and he did not need to be Kuwabara to know that this “something” was big.
 
 
&&Point of View Change&&
 
Today was like any other day: Wake up, eat, trade sarcastic remarks with Mukuro and go on the usual rounds along the border of the human and demon worlds. Another day, another human saved from his own stupidity; saved from having to know more than their simple minds could ever handle.
 
It was almost enough, after spending over a year erasing memories of weak humans, to make a fire demon miss the company of a certain fox, spirit detective, moron, and the weak females of his former punishment. Almost, of course, meaning not a chance, for after all he had yet to lose his sanity. Besides he had many strong people around him, such as Mukuro, so he had no need of those who were in the human world.
 
This did not mean that he had no idea what was going on in their lives. On the contrary, he knew at least the general gossip on each person that he was around those few years. He was regularly in the area checking up on Yukina, anyways, so there was no reason not to spy on them while he was there.
 
Mukuro joined him on his last round of the day, for this was their tradition. It was half way into the border search when Hiei noticed the eerier calm of the land. A quick glance at Mukuro told him that she felt it too. With his senses on high alert he widened the jagan eye's search range, trying to find the source of whatever was causing the imbalance in the land.
 
“It's south of here.” Hiei said, his usual monotone in place. Mukuro in response gave the orders needed to change their course.
 
Neither one was prepared for what they found. It was actually the meaning behind their finding that distressed them, rather than the actual gory sight. Hundreds of dead ogres made a bloody carpet on the forest floor, bodies of ogres. Not any ogres, either: ogres that Hiei quickly recognized as workers of spirit world. A sudden sense of dread that he did not understand filled his heart.
 
“Go, I will take care of things here.” Mukuro said without even glancing up at Hiei. Hiei didn't need to ask where she meant, he already knew. With a slight nod, Hiei turned and went off into the forest as fast as he could with only one destination in mind, Kurama.
 
I have only one request: Please Review.