InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Bounds of Loyalty ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 3: Bounds of Loyalty
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
There are times when people can dig themselves so deep in a hole that only another person who loves them can pull them out.
 
Chapter 3: Bounds of Loyalty
 
It was almost two o'clock in the morning by the time they reached Genkai's temple. They could have arrived sooner but Kurama had thought it wise to get their affairs in order, so they could take off for a couple of weeks without worrying about obligations, if the need should arise.
 
Yusuke was only vaguely surprised to find everyone still up, but considering Hiei had arrived hours before them, it made sense. He was surprised, though, to find Kuwabara and Shizuru sitting across from Genkai and said so.
 
“Shizuru and I woke up this morning sensing some bad vibes, so we decided to come here to check with Genkai. After seeing that weird light show I guess we decided right,” Kuwabara said with a shrug of his shoulders.
 
Genkai decided to speak up. “Hiei has informed us of what he's seen in the demon world. I find the ogres' execution greatly disturbing because it shows that there's an imbalance in the spirit world and even the slightest imbalance there can have major consequences in both the human and demon worlds.”
 
“And I say executing a bunch of paper pushers is a sign of something bigger than a minor imbalance.” Yusuke reasoned.
 
“Of course you dimwit, mass death never signifies anything small,” Genkai retorted. Yusuke realized he was tired when he couldn't find the energy to respond to that. He scanned the room to look at everyone's face: Genkai, Yukina, Kurama, Kuwabara, Shizuru, Hiei, and lastly Kayko. They all looked worn out and he did not like the depressed look on Kayko's face.
 
When Yusuke finally spoke again he said, “Look we're all tired and all this thinking is giving me a headache. Is there anything we can be doing now? Would it do any good to head into the demon realm?”
Hiei was the one to respond to this. “No, if an imbalance in spirit world spills out into the living worlds it will start in the human realm. Mukuro is taking care of things in demon world and if our presence is needed she will send word to me.”
 
Yusuke, satisfied with this response, said, “So what do you say Genkai, can we all get some sleep?”
 
Genkai answered, “Yes, I'm sure we'll be needing our strength or at least a clear head tomorrow,” with a weary sigh. So, everyone started the task of finding a place to sleep.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Dawn's light had barely broken when Yusuke woke to the smell of breakfast. When he reached the kitchen area he smiled at the sight that greeted him; Kayko and Yukina cooking with Shizuru leaning against the counter giving orders. One by one the rest of the group arrived in the kitchen, including Hiei. They ate in silence as they enjoyed the fleeting calm. After breakfast they went into the training area of the temple to try to discuss the situation.
 
Shizuru was the first to speak. “Something's been bothering me. Kurama, since you're technically the oldest would it be safe for me to assume you know the most about spirit world?”
 
“Considering who the rest of our group is, that would be a safe assumption.” Kurama answered cautiously. “What's on your mind?”
 
“Well, what reason would there be to execute the ogres? I thought they were at the bottom of the spirit world hierarchy.”
 
“They are on the bottom which makes them the first logical choice to be executed if there ever was a need for such actions.” Kurama said, pausing momentarily to collect his thoughts before continuing. “The ogres are the ones who deal with the paper work. All documents are first processed through them and put into proper order before any of the higher ups see them. Because of this, although they are at the bottom, they know as much and in some cases more than their supervisors. So if there ever was an uprising the ogres would need to be the first silenced.”
 
“Well isn't that just great, it's all the same, the laborers work hard all their lives and for what? To get axed, umm oops yeah I guess literally.” Yusuke then laughs a bit uncomfortably at Kuwabara's glare but stopped when Kayko smacked his arm. “Okay, okay, sorry but hey I didn't mean to! It just came out wrong.”
 
“Try thinking before you speak, dimwit,” Genkai reprimanded.
 
Kuwabara was the one to distract Yusuke before an argument could break out. He had noticed his sister deep in thought, not even paying attention to what was going on. She had a look on her face that he knew meant she was getting vibes again. Seeing that Yusuke was going to try to win a verbal sparring match with Genkai, he spoke up about it.
 
“Hey Sis, are you sensing something?” Kuwabara's question snapped Shizuru out of her pondering.
 
She took a second to realize his question was directed at her. I can just sense Kurama is choosing not to say something and I feel whatever it is, is important.”
 
“Kurama, if this is true I do not value your silence. Speak now.” Hiei spoke firmly.
 
Kurama took his time before responding. When he did so he looked directly at Shizuru as he spoke. “When I was still Youko I heard many rumors. I have never been one to put much faith in the validity of unconfirmed rumors such as these but there is one that keeps…” Kurama was never able to finish his thought because Yukina interrupted him.
 
“Isn't that Botan?” Yukina softly asked. Everyone looked up in the direction indicated by Yukina to find Botan flying down towards them on her oar.
 
She landed just outside the training area and walked over to greet them. The first thing that everyone noticed about her was that she didn't look as clean and orderly as she usually did. There were strands of hair loose from her ponytail and her kimono looked wrinkled and rumpled. The second thing that they noticed was her eyes were filled with pain and her smile was grim.
 
“Botan, what information do you have from spirit world?” Kurama asked as soon as she was in earshot. Botan finished the distance and tried to answer the question but no words would come out. Then she started crying.
 
Kayko, moved by the pain in Botan's eyes, quickly went to Botan's side and put an arm around her shoulders. Everyone was shocked; no one had ever seen Botan cry, though Shizuru had suspected she had at times.
 
Botan went to her knees and tried to regain her composure but to no avail. After a few moments Genkai was the one to speak, kneeling down in front of the girl and demanding to know what had happened.
 
It took a while to get the main idea of what had happened because Botan's voice was shaky and sobs made her unable to speak. It seemed that King Yama had turned against his son and ordered that he was to be executed.
 
“The first thing that made Koenma realize something was wrong was when he noticed that the ogres that had gone for their daily inspection were not returning. He became panicked and quickly ordered all other ogres to stop going. This was very surprising because to do so would be to disobey King Yama's direct orders. This caused a division with some ogres obeying Koenma's command while the others King Yama's. The ones who obeyed Koenma were those who had sworn loyalty directly to Koenma him as the future king and to spirit world and not to King Yama.”
 
“Koenma then started pulling out files and handing them to George. When he seemed satisfied that he got whatever he needed he sent George into demon world with a command to destroy all that Koenma had given to him and then to go into hiding. I did notice that the pile contained records of Yusuke. He also ordered the ogres to destroy all files that did not pertain to spirit placement.”
 
“Koenma then sent me into the area where the spirits rest to check that the seal on limbo was tight. I was in the process of doing so when King Yama ordered the spirit world into lock down: no one was allowed in or out and all access and communication to the human or demon worlds was cut off.” Botan explained growing calmer as she spoke.
 
“You mean King Yama used a sealing spell to seal spirit world off?” Kurama asked surprised. He has heard that there were spells powerful enough to do something like this but had never seen such a spell himself.
 
“That's correct. It's only supposed to be used in case of emergencies when spirit world is in great danger,” Botan said.
 
“That explains the flashes of light,” Hiei stated.
 
“Flashes of light? Around what time was this?” Botan asked.
 
Yusuke answered, “I'd say about 7:30 last night.”
 
“That time sounds about right,” said Botan.
 
“Well then that solves our two mysteries,” Genkai stated. “Please continue, Botan.”
 
“Two mysteries? What was the second?” Botan asked confused.
 
“Hiei found a graveyard of ogres,” was Kuwabara's response.
 
“Oh I see, so they're dead then.” Botan said with sadness. She then continued on, “I was outside limbo checking its seals when I felt spirit world seal off. This confused me more than I already was; I truly had no idea what was going on so I just followed Koenma's orders. Once I finished I headed back to Koenma's office when Koenma came running toward me. He grabbed my hand and started pulling me through the halls and outside the side of the building. There wasn't much land between the building and the drop off but Koenma went to the side and started touching the barrier seal, moving around as if he was looking for a break in it. When I questioned him, his only response was that he had to get me out of spirit world and that I needed to go into hiding.”
 
“He seemed to have found a break and started a chant when King Yama's Special Forces caught up with us. Koenma quickly stood up and made a barrier around us and tried to continue with his spell. That's when I found out about the execution order and so Koenma's orders started to make sense. They were shouting at him that as King Yama's son he should stop running and face his punishment as a man. Koenma responded that he had no fear of dieing, but that he would not allow them to kill those who were innocent. They told him that anyone that might have loyalty to him was not innocent. That's when I realized that my life was in danger too and that Koenma was trying to save my life and get me out, not himself.”
 
“Koenma didn't have his pacifier with him and I could tell his energy was quickly draining. When the Special Forces started to work on breaking down his barrier I knew then that even if he was able to make a hole in the seal I was the only one who would be going through. I told Koenma that my loyalty and life belong with him and I would rather die with him with my honor. He just smiled at me, pushed me through and then started resealing it so they couldn't come after me.” When Botan finished she once again began to cry.
 
Everyone was shocked with the exception of Genkai and partially Kurama. Out of the others, most would never have thought Koenma was capable of such a seemingly unselfish act and no one could understand what had caused King Yama to betray his son, or what Koenma had done to deserve death. They all were about to learn how many assumptions they had and how wrong those assumptions were.
 
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
It was noon and the streets were crowded and the stores busy. For the woman trapped in the middle of the chaos the whole city was claustrophobic. The trees were too young and too few. There was too much greed and pride, and not enough compassion. These were the reasons why it had been so long since she had dared to venture out into the realm of `normal' human life, not counting the point fact that she was being hunted and being a recluse was a better way to hide than trying to fit in with mainstream life when she obviously wasn't normal.
 
She usually had no need to leave her temple to come into the human cities, because she wanted to leave her home she usually went into the demon world. Her family, especially her brother, took care of keeping her supplies in stock, and they would go visit her so she wouldn't have to go to them. She was uncomfortable walking around in jeans and tennis shoes since she was accustomed to wearing close fit for a fighter and a priestess.
 
Her only comfort was that she was able to sense her trusted demon cats following her along the rooftops and that she had a mission to complete. Her brother had offered to go to their grandfather's friend for her but she knew the delicacy needed to get what she had in mind accomplished and decided to do it herself.
 
Her conscience bothered her only slightly. She did not like the fact that she was going to have to be deceitful to get things going but she could see no other way. The fate of the demon and human world and all those she loved in both was more important than her outward honor. She knew her intentions were pure and besides, there are times when people can dig themselves so deep in a hole that only another person who loves them can pull them out. The woman had every intention of pulling him out whether he wanted her help or not. She could only pray that he would survive long enough to receive it.
 
When she final reached the shrine she was greatly relieved. The sooner she got this done the sooner she could get back to her training and the sooner she could be reunited with him.
 
When she raised her hand to knock on the door of the house, the door opened before she could make contact. An old woman greeted the younger one.
 
“Come in, come in, I have been expecting you since your grandfather called. What help can an old woman such as myself be to such a beautiful priestess as you?”
 
The younger woman blushed at the praise before stating, “Actually, I have a favor to ask of you. I was wondering if you would mind….”
 
 
&&End&&
 
Please Review.