InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Reflections of Koenma ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 5: Reflections of Koenma
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
He would not allow any harm to come to those here or those he longed for miles away; they were his family and his life.
 
Chapter 5: Reflections of Koenma
 
It was quickly agreed that it was too dangerous for non-fighters to go search for Koenma but that all people with healing abilities needed too. Kuwabara was left behind with Kayko and Shizuru in case anyone attacked the temple, while Botan, Yukina, Hiei, Genkai, Yusuke, and Kurama hurried to where the tracking signal was originating. Hiei's job would be to protect the group while they worked on Koenma.
 
They found him unconscious, propped up against a tree. To those who didn't know better, Koenma looked more like a rich college boy that had just got jumped for walking into the wrong neighborhood than a man with life threatening injuries. Botan had explained on the way there that it took a lot of force and effort to make one of his kind bruise or bleed but that did not mean they were invincible, only that Koenma could be almost dead and only have a few marks. Seeing that Koenma had quite a few bruises and bleeding from a few areas made everyone on edge.
 
Hiei used his jagan eye to make sure they were not taken by surprise; he would not allow any harm to come to Yukina if he could do anything about it. Genkai quickly started using her spirit wave technique while Kurama used a seed that would heal Koenma over time. Yusuke and Yukina waited until it would be their turn to try as Botan stared intensely at her communicator trying to see if there was any improvement.
 
After Genkai was done Yusuke attempted to heal him followed by Yukina and Botan. They put all their spirit energy that they could into trying to heal him but he never woke up. When they all became exhausted of spirit energy Yukina and Botan turned to conventional human medicine. They had no idea if it would do any good on a demi-god but they decided it wouldn't hurt to try. After they wrapped his cracked ribs they decided it was time to move him. They didn't like not knowing how he got there and those who became paranoid were eager to return to the temple. So Yusuke lifted Koenma onto his back and they started the journey back.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Evening had already become night by the time they reached the temple. They were thankful when they found that Kayko, Shizuru, and Kuwabara were ready for their return. They had prepared a place for Koenma, fixed dinner, and laid out the sleeping mats for the night.
 
After laying Koenma down on a bed and rechecking his wounds it was decided that those who used up their healing powers needed to sleep. They would be useless if they did not allow their spirit energy to return to them. Hiei spent the night on watch while the rest fell into an uneasy and fitful sleep.
 
Shortly before dawn Botan awoke abruptly. Her eyes snapped open and stared at the ceiling trying to figure out what woke her. After a few seconds she got up and quietly slipped out of the room. Once outside she looked at the sky and then it hit her. Botan's soul felt lighter as if a burden had been lifted and she realized it was because she could no longer feel the pain of the disembodied souls that had no where to go after death. That must mean that spirit world was connected to the living world once again and that King Yama had ordered the spirit guides to resume their work.
 
Botan didn't know how to feel or think about this so she went back inside. She walked over to Koenma, kneeled by his side, and studied his sleeping face. It was rare to see him unconscious and despite the circumstance she was enjoying seeing him like this. He looked so peaceful, kind, and wise when he slept like the prince she knew him to be inside. It was the side of him that he refused to show, but it was this side that had caused her to swear her loyalty to him all those years ago and what kept her near now. As she studied his face she realized that he no longer had `Jr.' on his forehead, which delighted her.
 
She sat there a few more minutes in thoughtful reflection of her life before and after she met Koenma. She knew the future would be hard on him but that he had the strength to withstand; it was only a matter of helping him grasp this for himself.
 
With this thought she stood and went towards the kitchen. Since it was about time for the others to be stirring and she knew she wouldn't be getting anymore sleep and she did not want to be caught staring at her master, she decided to be productive instead by making breakfast.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
After inspecting the grounds, Hiei settled in a tree for the night. Genkai had her boundaries protected with seals and spells that would warn of possible intrusions but someone would need to be on the alert to catch the warnings in time. Hiei had taken this task onto himself as a way that he might feel like he was doing something useful.
 
Hiei felt trapped waiting. Most of his life he had lived for himself, moving from one impulse to another but four years ago that all changed. The idea that what seemed to be a mere human boy could be the catalyst to life altering changes in someone such as himself was truly laughable but Hiei could see that it was true. It was the first time he had ever seen someone win a fight with pure luck and a desire to protect. In his life he had always seen that caring was a weakness, one that should be exploited. As time progressed he learned what kind of strength it could be.
 
Then there was Koenma. Though it would never be something he would admit, he had respected the prince from the time they meet. After being defeated by Yusuke he expected his punishment to be severe and helping out Yusuke while being able to still fight was in no way severe. Sure, the fact he could no longer kill humans and being stuck with Kuwabara grated on his nerves at times but the other options were in no way as pleasant. He quickly realized the genius of the plan, Yusuke would need help and he had Kurama and him in the position where they would `gladly' offer their strength. Then by linking their cases together to where if one broke the rules the other would receive the punishment as well it made certain Hiei wouldn't betray since he was in no way stupid enough to make an enemy out of the fox.
 
Hiei's respect only grew after Koenma tried to have Yukina saved without his knowledge. It had shown Hiei that Koenma held great value in those who worked for him even if he hardly ever showed it. Also that he had an understanding and wisdom about people and demon alike that would make him a wise leader. The final boost was when Koenma released him from his probation. Koenma had no reason to keep Botan's word because she did not have the authority to make such deals but he did. Hiei had the suspicion Koenma knew that he would never be that far away even if his sarcastic impassive attitude gave the impression that he didn't care. Sometimes he almost wondered if Koenma knew his thoughts and action before he knew them himself.
 
This is why he felt trapped. He never knew how to express himself with feeling or words and he never wanted to. For him that would be weakness because it would mean his actions were no longer doing the expressing for him. Action counted more than words but there was no action to be taken. The man he had been waiting for to be king lay inside close to death and an indiscernible danger threatened everything he cared about and all they had worked for. Yet, the only thing he could do was sit in a tree, wait, and watch for dangers in the night.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
A schedule was made that would make healings the most efficient without leaving the majority of the group drained. It was quite discouraging to see no outward change in Koenma's condition but it was also interesting. After all the healings he still had the same amount of bruises, his cuts hadn't closed, and his ribs, from what they could tell, were still broken. The only indication that what they were doing was having any effect was that according to Botan's readings his life signs were slowly stabilizing. So they continued like this for a day, then two, and then another.
 
“So you still haven't found any information on your brother?” Kuwabara asked Yukina on the fourth day while helping her care for Koenma. It was a rare occasion that he could talk to her without people listening in.
 
“No, nothing. I had hoped that with the barrier down it might be easier but it's just the same as before,” Yukina's sad voice answered.
 
“I still don't understand why your people would do such a thing to a baby,” Kuwabara stated while redressing a wound on Koenma's left arm.
 
“It had been the experience of the ice apparitions that males are violent which you must realize for the majority of demons this assumption is true. Since males weren't needed for survival they locked themselves away in order to protect themselves. Over time their hearts became as icy as their power and it became forbidden to mate with males - males of fire especially,” Yukina absent mindedly explained.
 
“And fire is strongest against ice,” Kuwabara inserted.
 
“Huh?” Yukina said, giving her full focus attention back to Kuwabara since she was now done with Koenma. She sat on a chair next to Koenma's bed while Kuwabara moved to make himself comfortable on a chair by Koenma's feet.
 
“Oh, yes of course,” Yukina began again after she realized what Kuwabara had said. “That's why the others of the village felt what my mother did was so wrong. If my brother grew up to be violent he could destroy everything.”
 
“Why him and not you?” Kuwabara asked seriously looking at his beloved. “I mean you're fire and ice too, right?”
 
“Yes I am but as a girl they knew my personality would be more ice than fire because fire is a male dominate trait. They had no hope that he would be any different and they were not going to take the chance. I can't defend what they have done nor do I agree with it but that is their reasoning. Their hearts are frozen and the only emotions they can now express are bitterness and distrust. Even though I am more ice than fire, fire still burns strong within me and it won't allow my emotions to freeze like the rest. That's why I left to find my brother. He's the only one who might fully understand me because I know he knows understands how it feels to belong nowhere. It may be foolish to believe he's still alive but I would rather be foolish than to give up hope.” Kuwabara could see the determination in her eyes as she finished and it made him smile.
 
“Yukina I…” Kuwabara started to say when movement from the bed caught both of their attention. They stared at him for a few moments to see that Koenma was definitely regaining consciousness. So Kuwabara did the first thing that came to his mind: He ran out the door screaming for everyone to come.
 
&&Scene Change&
 
The woman was once again at her temple now that her tasks were done. Her plan had been laid and now all she had to do was wait and see if they would take the bait. She sat with her back against a pillar as she looked out across the expanse of forest that was her property.
 
Her faithful demon cat Kirara was in her lap relaxing as her master petted her. Karan was curled up beside her feet asleep. He had a difficult night last night no thanks to his master. It was no easy task sneaking into a psychic's home in the first place without adding a fire demon with a jagan eye into the picture, but Karan had managed.
 
The risk was well worth it though since she now knew that Koenma was alive. She could now breathe a bit easier. As much as she wanted to continue observing them and meddle she knew she had already done more than she should. Tempting fate was not her job but that of another.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
The first thing Koenma recognized as he regained consciousness was the sound of Kuwabara's voice. Kuwabara? No, that was impossible; that would mean he was alive and more than that it would mean he was in the living world. He could hear the sound of people coming towards him and recognized that Botan was the one hugging him. It was after she had let go that he dared to open his eyes to see that everyone had gathered into his room.
 
“Alive?” Koenma breathed, his face clearly showing his confusion.
 
“Yeah that's usually the opposite of not dead.” Yusuke replied.
 
“We were all very worried about you,” Kayko softly told him.
 
Hiei interrupted the potentially emotional moment by asking, “How did you come to be in the forest?”
 
“Forest?” Koenma said while trying to sit up, though Botan stopped him from moving by pushing him back onto the bed.
 
“Yes that is where we found you four days ago. We then brought you here,” Kurama answered.
 
After a few deep breaths Koenma tried his best to answer but he just felt so weak. “I…I don't know. My father wasn't very pleased that I had kept your location…from him. So he tried to torture it out of me. When he figured out it was pointless he took me in front of the counsel to execute me.”
 
“Counsel?” Kuwabara interrupted.
 
“Yes there is a counsel made up of lower Kamis that King Yama has to answer to. They don't have much power over him but all high offense trials such as treason have to be carried out in front of them as well as the punishment,” Botan answered.
 
Seeing that there were no other questions, Koenma continued, “I was on the verge of passing out when I heard a commotion in the distance. I have no idea what happened after that. Truthfully I'm quite shocked I'm alive, it doesn't make sense.”
 
“Could it be possible that some of the Kami there saved you?” Genkai asked.
 
“Yes, it is possible but I see no reason why they would,” Koenma said, closing his eyes. He then sat up, ignoring Botan's protests, to notice he was only dressed in a loose pair of pants and the bandages covering his ribs.
 
Koenma reached a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose before saying, “As much as I would like to answer all your questions, at the moment I am much too tired.” With this said he turned to his side and pushed the pillows onto the floor before lying on his stomach with his head resting on his arms. He was asleep again even before he finished moving. After a few moments Koenma started to faintly glow blue.
 
“What is that?” Yusuke exclaimed.
 
“Well ah he is regenerating, let's leave him in peace,” Botan said while trying to get people to leave the room.
 
“Regenerwhatering?” Yusuke responded.
 
“Regenerating. It's like his natural healing process and it's… oh okay I don't know,” Botan said in agitation as she finished getting them out of the room and then slid the door closed behind her. “All I know is he can do it, I don't really know what it does because I've never seen it done before and I haven't asked. Okay?”
 
Yusuke couldn't help but laugh at her obvious irritation for not having an answer about the subject. Soon everyone joined in, in one-way or another, even Botan. It wasn't that it was that funny it was just that the laughter was contagious. The tension that had been silently building to a breaking point over the past week was finally released at Botan's expense. She didn't mind at all though; her master was once again with her.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Koenma sat alone on the steps in front of the temple. He could hear the movements of the others in all areas of the temple but no one made a move to join him. He had asked to be left alone and was thankful they were abiding by his wishes. He needed time to think, especially after the conversation he just had with the group.
 
Flashback
 
“Why are you not as strong as your father?” Hiei asked bluntly. It was the question Koenma had hoped would not be asked.
 
“Why would you think I would be?” Koenma asked in attempt to divert attention.
 
“Because Botan told us that you are an adult of your kind. Although you're not as old as your father your power should be somewhere near his but it isn't. Why?” Hiei said, glaring at Koenma. He would get his answer.
 
“That is because I have yet to take a mate,” Koenma said. It was obvious to everyone that he was uncomfortable but the others joined in anyways.
 
“What does having a mate have to do with the strength of your powers?” Kurama questioned. He was very curious because little to nothing was known about the ones who ran spirit world.
 
“I am incomplete without a mate and because of this my power is also. When one of my kind takes a mate their souls and powers combine and mingle making both complete,” Koenma explained.
 
“How much would your power increase?” Hiei asked.
 
“At the very least two fold but it can be infinitely stronger. It just depends on the two souls that merge. Before you ask, with how strong my power is now two fold would be enough to match my father's, but don't get your hopes up. I will not be taking a mate.” Koenma answered. Genkai could see that Koenma was becoming agitated on top of uncomfortable when he seemed to find his hands interesting and was refusing to look up.
 
“Why not!?” Yusuke yelled, “I'm sure we can find some girl somewhere blind enough to marry you. What about Botan? You would marry him for the sake of the living world, wouldn't you?” Kayko hit him in the head as he finished.
 
“I…I…I…” was all Botan could say as her face turned a bright shade of red.
 
Koenma saved her from further embarrassment by stating, “That is not an option. The mates of my kind are chosen by fate herself and I can't get a mate any other way that would complete me. Please, before you start in about maybe fate will choose my mate in the near future, it's not happening. Okay?” Koenma's voice was continually rising as he spoke. By the time he finished he was standing with eyes that were blazing with furry.
 
He continued, “I already know who my chosen mate is and she's beyond my reach now. There is nothing that can be done about this so we will speak of it no more. Leave me in peace!” with this yelled Koenma retreated to the front of the temple but he could hear Botan speaking as he departed.
 
“This is a very sore subject with Koenma and unless you want a very angry and wrathful demi-god on your hands I suggest you leave him be. He may not be as strong as his father but he is more powerful than any of you.” He could hear no more of what was said after that and he didn't care.
 
End flashback
 
Koenma was so confused. He didn't understand how he lost her. Every decision he made was with her in mind. How could decisions he made to protect her end up being the cause of driving her away? As he sat there his pain increased when he thought of a reason. It was so clear now. His father was planning his betrayal even then. The more he thought about it the more he realized it probably had started earlier than that. Why had it come to this? It hadn't always been this way. There was once a time when life was in harmony. Of course that was before his mother died.
 
Koenma's mother's death seemed to be the start of the spiraling downfall. Back then everything was in balance. In the living world the humans and demons were living in a delicate balance between peace and hatred and the spirit world still consisted of two realms: the spirit and the nether. Spirit took care of human spirits and nether took care of demons. It was definitely a time of less stress.
 
Each realm had a king and each king a mate. Then there was the counsel of the Kami that was made up of spirits of both human and demon that had done something incredibly rare and noble in their lifetime. They served as both a mediator between the realms and a restraint for their powers. It would not be good for one of the kings to do something rash that could upset the balance of the worlds. This is how things were for generations.
 
Then both kings lost their mates within a week of each other. It was such a rare and unusual coincidence that it could only be said that fate had it planned, though neither king would accept this. The king of nether world who lost his mate first blamed the king of spirit world saying he had her killed. King Yama blamed the nether world for the death of his wife saying it was retaliation for a crime he did not commit.
 
Anger, paranoia, and hatred built for about a century with no success from the counsel to calm them down. Then the unthinkable happened; the nether world invaded the spirit world. The result was the destruction of the nether world. Spirit world then had to take over all responsibilities of both realms, which was a burden it was not ready to handle.
 
King Yama then became the absolute authority and as the saying goes `absolute power corrupts absolutely.' His paranoia continued to build as did his hatred, which after the destruction of nether world became directed at the humans and demons he ruled over. He despised half-breeds, saying that they were trying to be like them who were supposed to be their gods which in a way was true since their kind were basically mutts. Koenma's mother was human while his grandmother was a demon, but the idea of them intentionally trying to become like them was preposterous since most didn't know of their existence, much less knowingly seen them. This fact did not stop his father from looking for reasons to destroy them all.
 
Koenma found himself constantly having to defend those who they ruled over while trying to keep up with the overload of spirits coming in. It was impossible to keep up and the ineffectiveness was causing things such as haunting and possessions to occur more often which was caused by misplaced and spiteful souls.
 
Around 500 years ago things went from bad to worse when a batch of new Kamis was added to the council. It was a very rare occurrence for a spirit to become a Kami, so when seven spirits were made into Kamis within 70 years warning bells went off. Usually it was left to the counsel to look for spirits worth becoming Kamis but with so many coming in the king got suspicious and thoroughly investigated. King Yama found that six of the spirits were humans and one was a half-breed that became human. It seemed a major event had happened in the living world 70 years prior that these souls participated in that granted them Kamiship. The fact that a soul that once was a half-breed had made it in infuriated his father.
 
There was nothing he could do about it, though, except watch more closely for a reason to hand out his wrath to the human world. That chance almost happened 400 years ago but Koenma stopped it by creating the barrier. It had a good effect and yet many bad ones. The demons infuriated that they were separated from the humans revolted and they lost control over most of the demon realm. In a way it was good because it lessened the responsibility of the spirit world but bad because the demons became increasingly violent. As a result of the realms being separated, humans over the centuries became lazy and most lost spiritual awareness, while demons weakened greatly and became more uncivilized. As a rule of thumb only demons about 600 years or older at the time of the barriers creation weren't affected. This number was limited and most are now gone.
 
There were exceptions though, which were the demons that were involved in the event 500 years ago. It seemed they worked along with the humans to maintain peace and they were so strong that they couldn't be ranked in the spirit world ratings. To use their guide it would have to be said that they were at the very least triple S class demons. These demons have their own rules and hierarchy and don't involve themselves in the politics of the demon world. They were also not affected by the barrier and have always had free access to both realms, which never presented to be a problem since they had no intention of causing harm in the human realm but rather blend into it. Still King Yama considered them enemies.
 
It was because of these events that Koenma was able to bring a kind of order that had been prevailing in the spirit world. Koenma convinced his father to allow him to recruit more employees; ogres for paperwork and spirits to act as spirit guides. As he recruited he found many preferred to give loyalty directly to him as future king rather than to his father. This caused some stress but made things smoother in the long run.
 
Around 320 years ago is when he first saw Botan, or rather heard her. Koenma was in the living world because he just finished closing off a barrier breach when he heard laughter that caught his attention. It sounded so purely happy that he took the time to investigate. He found that it came from a young woman about 16 who was the daughter of a priest. She had long black hair that was tied into a high ponytail and green eyes. When he returned to spirit world he learned that her father was a Shinto priest and her mother was an English woman and that she had spent most of her life in England until recently after her mother's death.
 
Koenma was drawn to her and watched her through her life. He knew she would be perfect as one of his closest staff because her cheerfulness was just what his soul needed. Botan was only 25 when she lay on her deathbed from a mysterious illness. Though this was what Koenma had been waiting for it broke his heart to watch her die. When her soul released from her body Koenma, who at the time had silent tears running down his face, greeted her. He personally brought her to spirit world instead of another spirit guide and offered her a job. Botan, being so taken by his sadness, agreed and eagerly gave her loyalty to him. She has been like his second in command ever since. Her appearance changed when she became a spirit guide to fit her personality.
 
When he was ordered to store all his spirit energy he was not happy. Although dangerous his time spent in the living world had always been his favorite and fighting relieved his stress. He quickly found that paperwork only increased his stress and he soon became short tempered and bitter. Mariko was a delight to work with, which helped him adjust to his new imprisoned life. He was close to Mariko and Sensui in a way that he never allowed himself to be with Yusuke. By the time Yusuke came along he learned his lesson.
 
The experience with Sensui was something that would always lay heavy on his heart because it was his fault. Koenma could not see it any other way; he should have known Sensui, though pure, was too narrow-minded.
 
When he found Yusuke there were many things about him that Koenma found himself drawn too. For one he was in many ways the exact opposite of Sensui: impulsive instead of disciplined, very opened minded, and lost in life. These are the reasons he would give out loud if ever questioned but in truth they are not the main ones. It was the qualities inside of Yusuke that were so much like his beloved that made Koenma want to make something out him. Koenma saw his love, his need to protect, and his desire to be understood and have a place in life that was more than ordinary. To make up what he had done to her he would do right with him. Koenma had no hope of ever seeing her again or, if he ever did, to gain her forgiveness. He would not allow any harm to come to those here or those he longed for miles away; they were his family and his life.