InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Unusual Meetings ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 8: Unusual Meetings
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
By the time you and your father were done with me, family was all I had left.
 
Chapter 8: Unusual Meetings
 
Yusuke could see she was losing her calm by the way her eyes were beginning to burn, so he decided to push her over the edge, “No one could do that you stupid hag. Your illusions make that impossible.” His taunt had worked.
 
“It's because the fact that you can't even see through the simplest illusions that makes you unworthy!” the woman yelled as she stood up. “And for your information I'm not old!” Yusuke was stunned into silence as he watched her hood fall away and her appearance shift before his eyes.
 
Her once wrinkled face became smooth, her gray hair went black, she seemed to gain a few inches in height, but her brown eyes stayed the same, glowing with fury. Yusuke had to admit she wasn't old but rather beautiful.
 
She continued to yell, “I happen to be only 26 you jerk! Those with demon blood in them are all alike, arrogant!”
 
She stood there glaring at Yusuke a moment then she suddenly started to laugh, “Oh my…your face… you better close your mouth unless you're trying to do an impersonation of a fish.”
 
Yusuke closed his mouth, giving up on trying to respond. She sat back down and continued, “I'm sorry I shouldn't have lost my temper like that. I didn't mean what I said about you being unworthy. It's not like that at all. Man, you are so much like someone I use to know it's scary and he was able to get under my skin, too.”
 
“Use to know? What happened to him?” Yusuke had forgotten his anger, which was replaced with deep curiosity. The creature before him had such an unearthly aura to her, as if she knew the secrets of the universe, like…like Koenma?
 
“Time happened,” she said with a wishful sigh.
 
“Time?” Yusuke questioned. That answer set his mind working as he started to study everything she did.
 
“Yes, time but it really isn't important,” she said, then purposely shifted the direction of the conversation, “let me explain better then I did before. I know the reason why you want to learn how to activate the sacred objects of Gaia but you don't have the spirit awareness required. If you did you would have been able to see through my illusions. As you know, Yusuke, there are different types of fighters in the worlds. You are an instinctive fighter with great strength and an unmatched ability to read your opponents but no one can excel in all areas. There's no shame in this. To truly be a great man, one must be able to see there own limitations and accept those limitations as strengths in others.”
 
“Okay then,” Yusuke said while contemplating her words, “what can we do then?”
 
“I have the ability and the spirit energy needed to activate the sacred objects of Gaia and will gladly aid you on your quest,” she raised her hand to keep Yusuke silent, “but I will still need to train someone else as well. Koenma has greatly underestimated the spirit energy required to complete such a task. I could possibly activate three before exhaustion set in and then I would have to take time to recover. Time will be a very limited resource once the first sacred object of Gaia is activated. They will all need to be activated in a day's time or King Yama will be able to detect what is trying to be done.”
 
“So you'll train someone to help you that would take the other three. I get it, but who would you train?” Yusuke questioned.
 
“Don't be dense. You already know whom I'll be training,” the woman looked at him sternly.
 
“Kuwabara?” Yusuke responded.
 
“See, I knew you would get it. I must say I'm excited about the idea. Kazuma is a very interesting person,” she said with a clap of her hands.
 
“How is Kuwabara `interesting'?” Yusuke questioned.
 
“Okay, think about this. You got your powers because you died and when you revived Koenma taught you how to channel your spirit energy right?” she waited for Yusuke to nod before continuing. “Well Kuwabara never died and he has no demon blood in him, unlike you, yet he can still channel his spirit energy. He has progressed fairly far on his own while trying to keep up with you, Kurama, and Hiei without any proper training. Kuwabara's strength is not in physical fighting but rather in battles of mind over spirit. He has great potential he just needs to be shown what the potential is. The fact he made it as far as he did is beyond amazing and it shows his great will and determination.”
 
Yusuke finally snapped out of a daze and realized something. “Wait one minute, how in the world do you seem to know so much about us? I don't remember introducing myself and come to think of it how do you know what Koenma's planning on doing in the first place!?” Yusuke said, becoming defensive as he realized she knew way too much for someone he has never met before.
 
She just smiled and laughed saying, “Because I've been watching you and your group for quite awhile now. I was there at the dark tournament and I was there for the demon world tournament. Things that I couldn't personally observe I've listened for in gossip. You've been an interest of mine since I heard the rumor of a boy brought back from the dead. I know what Koenma is doing because it's the only thing that can be done. Simple logic really.”
 
She had said the name Koenma twice and Yusuke noticed a change in her eyes each time. They deepened with sadness and pain. Yusuke saw another emotion in them that he could not identify and found himself hoping it was love. He started trying to rationalize everything in his mind. She did say something about time but what were the chances? He had to find out if his hunch was right.
 
“What's your name?” Yusuke asked.
 
“Kagome,” she stated.
 
`Well that was brilliant,' he thought to himself, `might be more meaningful if I knew what name to look for. Actually, why am I trying to be tactful anyways? Okay I'm going for it.'
 
“You're in love with Koenma,” he said, fully ready to duck and cover. He got the impression from Koenma that the woman he loved would have every reason to be bitter.
 
To his relief and confusion she started laughing again. After a few moments she said, “I said you had great observational skills but I had no idea how right that comment was. I'm impressed. It's starting to get dark. Please, stay here for the night and I will show you some ways to improve your spiritual awareness. We can then head back to Master Genkai's temple in the morning,” she said as she stood and walked out of the building towards her training area.
 
“Why would I care about increasing my awareness? Hey! Don't change the subject, you didn't answer me. Get back here!” Yusuke said as he raced after the woman's retreating form.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
They walked through the city in comfortable silence. It was early in the morning and the dawn was just breaking. Yusuke, lost in thought, turned his head to study the woman beside him. It had been an interesting night in which he learned a newfound respect for the Kuwabara siblings' natural gift.
 
Yusuke was puzzled over the feelings he was experiencing. He had never been one to listen to any authority but he found himself eager for her to give the next set of instructions as they trained together last night. She made him feel like a child that was loved and for some weird reason it didn't bother him. He realized as he studied her that nothing about her could bother him. They did bicker a lot but it was all in fun, almost as if they were siblings. Yusuke had quickly discovered that although she was 26 years in age she had a heart of a child.
 
Yusuke dreaded going back to Genkai's. He was never able to get Kagome to discuss Koenma but he knew she was the one because her eyes were like windows to her soul and those windows told him that Koenma had brought her a lot of pain. He found himself wanting to protect her. Although he knew how Koenma felt and that he would never purposely hurt her, he also knew this was going to be like rubbing salt into an open wound. He could only hope that the end result didn't kill the innocence inside of Kagome that he was finding himself so drawn too.
 
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Koenma was the first to notice Yusuke's return. He was in the middle of a discussion with Kurama as the others relaxed around the room when he felt an aura that he knew better than his own. It stunned him so badly that he stopped mid-sentence and went pale. Kurama was about to ask if he was okay when Koenma changed from his chibi form back into his adult self.
 
“Sir/ Lord Koenma!” George and Botan both gasped in unison. Koenma never changed forms in front of people.
 
“Something… unusual is approaching the temple with Urameshi,” Kuwabara then said.
 
When Botan felt it she whispered, “Kagome,” as her eyes filled with tears.
 
Kurama, Hiei, and Genkai then sensed Yusuke and the other presence with him and agreed with Kuwabara that it felt unusual. Everyone watched the entrance of the temple for Yusuke and the mystery person to come in view.
 
Yusuke was the first to come into view, closely followed by a beautiful young woman. When they got close to the group Yusuke said, “Guys, this is Kagome. She has the ability to activate the sacred objects of Gaia but she'll need some help. I'm not qualified enough to be trained in this art but you are Kuwabara so I hope you're a fast learner. Go ahead Kagome, make yourself known.”
 
Kagome walked and stood in front of Yukina before stating, “You are from fire and ice.”
 
Taken by surprise Yukina stumbled over her words, “Yes…I…I mean…”
 
Kagome reached her hand out and put it under Yukina chin to get her to look at her and said, “Relax, I don't bite. I just wanted to say you are beautiful and special because you are rare. Never forget that, little one, and never give up hope.”
 
She then turned to Kido, Kaito, Yanagishawa, and Mitarai. “Don't let your gifts make you forget you're human but also don't let humanity make you forget you're gifted. It's a delicate walk, don't ever allow yourself to get to cocky.”
 
Kayko was next, “You are very strong in the ways Yusuke needs. You'll do fine, just make sure you keep him in line,” as she said the last part she turned to Yusuke and winked at him, which caused him to start laughing.
 
While looking at Kuwabara she spoke to Shizuru, “I hope you won't mind me borrowing your brother for awhile.”
 
“Just return him in better condition than when you take him,” was Shizuru's monotone reply.
 
She walked and stood in front of Hiei and studied him for a minute before flicking her eyes slightly towards Yukina. Kurama and Yusuke sucked in a breath while Hiei's hand instinctually went to his sword. “It's rare to see a jagan so old on one so young,” was all she said before she turned to Kurama. She only smiled at him before making her way to Genkai.
 
“I see you have seals around your property. I'd like to place stronger barriers, if that is okay with you,” she asked with a respectful bow of her head.
 
“It would be much appreciated,” was Genkai's response.
 
Finally she reached Koenma, Botan, and George. “Botan, George, it's good to see you both again”. I hope you've been well. Koenma, stop thinking so much; it's much better to relax than worry.”
 
After making her version of introductions an introduction and one last look at Genkai for permission she took charge.
 
“Yusuke, I need you go to this address for me and bring back the man who lives there,” Kagome said while handing him a piece of paper.
 
“Hey, wait a minute but I just walked up here…” Yusuke whined.
 
“And now you have the honor of walking back down,” was Kagome's sweet reply, much to Genkai amusement.
 
As Yusuke turned and started his walk back down the stairs Kagome turned her attention to Kuwabara. “Are you okay with me training you?”
 
“As long as I don't have to fight you,” Kuwabara responded. Kagome just smiled and reassured him the he would not have to.
 
“Then we will start now with putting up a stronger barrier around Master Genkai's property. It will be fairly easy for me to teach you how since you can already make a dimension-cutting sword.” With that Kagome and Kuwabara went outside.
 
Once out of sight, everyone turned his or her attention to Koenma, “Is she the one fated to be your mate?” Genkai asked.
 
“Yes, but this doesn't change anything. It's a difficult situation so do me a favor and don't get any ideas,” Koenma said before walking off in the opposite direction that Kagome went.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
It was lunchtime by the time Yusuke returned with the man Kagome sent him to fetch. Yusuke could feel tension in the air as they approached the area that they usually ate their meals. They found Kagome, Kayko, Yukina, and Botan preparing the table for lunch while the others were lounging around the room waiting. Koenma was leaning against a wall talking with Shizuru and Kurama while obviously trying not to look at Kagome.
 
As they entered the room, Kagome stood up and walked towards the man who was just a few years older then Yusuke saying, “Sota! I'm so glad you came. How is my sweet, precious little brother doing? You know you're the best brother a sister can have.” By the time she finished she was in front of him giving him a hug.
 
“Oh, no. I know that tone! That's your `I'm going to ask you a favor that I'm going to hate doing' tone!” Sota exclaimed.
 
“Now, now, Sota, no need to get dramatic on me. I just need you to deliver three little letters for me and look, I even packed food for your trip,” Kagome said as she walked over and picked up a bag, while Sota studied the letters.
 
“Sesshomaru, Shippo, and Koga? But they're each in like opposite ends of the demon realm!” Sota said to his sister with his eyes wide.
 
“Now Sota, if you don't have the discipline to do this little request for your sister, I can always up your training,” Kagome said innocently.
 
“Oh no no no no. That's quite all right, I assure you. See I'm going. Going, going - you know what? I'm already gone,” Sota said as he hurried quickly out of the temple with the food bag in hand. The display had most of the group laughing but the amusement didn't last long.
 
“Sesshomaru, Shippo, and Koga!” Koenma yelled as he stepped forward and faced Kagome, “You were almost tried and executed for treason because of them and you still keep in contact with them!?”
 
“They are my family! By the time you and your father were done with me, family was all I had left. Don't you dare try to make me feel bad for staying in touch with those who truly care about me? What right do you have?” Kagome yelled back.
 
“Why are you here?” Koenma asked in a stone cold voice.
 
“Because if your father decides to do as he pleases it will be my family who will be the first to suffer. I am here to make sure you become king - no more, no less - because that's what's in the best interest of the living world. I am not asking your permission to help; I'm giving it if you like it or not because I know you need me,” with that shouted Kagome swiftly walked out of the room.
 
“Difficult indeed,” was Shizuru comment, while everyone else tried to figure out why Koenma just did that but Yusuke could see not even Koenma knew himself.