InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Completion? ( Chapter 16 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 15: Completion?
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
Well aren't you coming? We don't have all century you know.
 
Chapter 15: Completion
 
The experience of having their consciousnesses returned to their bodies was jarring and unwelcome. In fact it was similar to being awakened suddenly by a glass of cold water being poured over their faces but they were not given much time to readjust to the world of the living or ponder on their experience.
 
Shippo regained all of his senses when he heard Koenma calling out Kagome's name and quickly addresses the situation to find a few things disquieting. The barrier that protected his lands was down, leaving his clan open to the large invasion force that could be seen in the sky heading their way and to make matters worse Kuwabara had collapsed and Koenma skin had a weird glow.
 
He registered this in a matter of seconds before letting out a sigh, “Why did they have to choose to attack from this side?” Seeing Hiei and Genkai look at him he continued, “In this part of my territory there is a large amount of area that will have to be defended. Now Special Defense Force people are only class A, class S at the most, but with that many it will be hard to keep them all from getting through to the village. Not that they won't be able to defend themselves. I just don't appreciate the idea of outsiders seeing my land without permission.”
 
Hiei turned his attention to Kuwabara who was being worried over by Yukina and Shizuru, “and the fool over there will be no help in keeping them out,” he said matter-of-factly.
 
“Leave him be. He deserves a rest,” Shippo said before calling out to Makoto for a status report.
 
“I'll have the barrier back up soon but not before those get here,” Makoto said lifting a hand to point to the task force that was almost close enough to land.
 
Shippo gave a nod of understanding before turning to Koenma who now was down on one knee with a very worried George and Botan on either side of him, “You okay over there?”
 
“Yeah I just feel a little weird and my skin looks green… besides that I am just dandy. Don't worry about me, I'll join the fight momentarily,” Koenma responded.
 
“Okay here comes the `fun' part,” Sota called out as the first batch of the Special Defense Force landed.
 
They did not remain on the ground long though because Shippo immediately charged at them, unleashing fox fire that forced them back into to sky. Before they could make a second attempt at landing they were greeted by Genkai's spirit gun followed by Hiei's dragon of the darkness flame. As soon as Hiei's dragon died down the Special Defense Force was back on the offensive determined to get close enough to land.
 
After a few rounds of this, Hiei yelled out, “This is getting us nowhere!” Hiei yelled.
 
“There's no need to actually defeat them we just need to keep them entertained until Makoto can reactivate the shield. Once the shield is up it won't matter anymore,” Shippo yelled back as he prepared for the next wave.
 
So Shippo used his fox fire to drive anyone off the ground that was close enough to attack while Hiei and Genkai did there best to drive them back and Sota mainly stood back prepared to take out anyone who made it passed them. They were holding their ground easily but soon the Special Defense Force changed tactics and started flying straight at them in an attempt to get passed them. Koenma saw what they were trying to do and quickly made a net like barrier behind them that would be enough to slow down any attempt to reach the village. After he joined the others in the fight he was surprised, not for the first time, at the amount of chaos and destruction Hiei could create using nothing more than his speed and his sword when he put his mind to it. Sota, who had joined the rest on the front lines, was showing skills that made Koenma wonder just how much Kagome might have increased in power over the years.
 
&&Point of View Change&&
 
Hiei's mind was racing. There were so many enemies constantly charging him that he was forced to resort to fighting by pure instinct rather then by any type of logical strategy, something he hadn't needed to do for some time and was finding it was no longer to his liking.
 
After awhile, Hiei was starting to tire so when the Special Defense Force sent an especially large group at them, two enemies were able to make it passed him. He quickly finished with the group he was fighting and hurried after them when he saw their target was Kuwabara who was resting on Yukina's lap. As he increased his speed, Yukina and Shizuru looked up to see not only the two soldiers coming at them but to see them disappear. Right after Makoto was able to reactivate the barrier, it effectively drove the Special Defense Force out of Shippo's territory.
 
Hiei stopped cold when the members of the Special Defense force disappeared and looked around in confusion. Enemies did not just disappear in the middle of an aerial assault. He could see his sister and Shizuru were just as confused.
 
“Oh that was just Koga,” Sota informed them when he noticed their perplexed faces. Still seeing that they were confused he pointed to the side. There they saw a wolf demon standing on top of two very unconscious Special Defense Force members.
 
Koga then stood up and picked the two up by the backs of their jackets and proceeded to walk them over to the edge of Shippo's territory and throw them through the barrier. Then, with a satisfied grin, he strolled slowly back to them.
 
“And what, may I ask, are you doing here?” Shippo asked pointedly.
 
“Sesshomaru sent me,” Koga answered, “He figured you would want to be with Kagome so he told me to come over here to watch over your territory.”
 
“What about your lands? Wouldn't the barrier have failed there as well?” Shippo asked.
 
“Yes but your lands and Sesshomaru's were the final activation points and should be the places that attracted the most attention and besides I left Ayame in charge and she can handle things perfectly fine. You are the one who has a mate with little ones to think about. So leave things to me. Your orders are to take everyone and go through the tunnels and meet Kagome then head to the human realm,” Koga explained.
 
Shippo, who seemed to accept what Koga was saying at face value, turned his attention to the rest of the group. “Listen up, we're all heading back to the human realm now so we need to head into the village,” before anyone could comment, Shippo walked over to Kuwabara and lifted him onto his back before walking towards the village.
 
Once he saw everyone was following he continued, “We have a cave system that connects our territories to the human realm. They use to be the only way we could go back and forth between realms but ever since the barrier went down hardly anyone uses them anymore.” With this explanation everyone seemed content to follow in silence as Shippo lead them to a cave that descended far into the earth before flattening out.
 
They walked for a good while before Koenma broke the silence, “So this is how the members of your group were able to travel back and forth between realms without detection.”
 
“Yep we punched a hole in your barrier down here and since we did it with the help of human monks and priests we were completely undetectable,” Shippo explained with a smirk as Koenma frowned at him.
 
“Oh lighten up and stop with the Sesshomaru impersonations. It's not like there was ever any risk of demons that shouldn't be allowed through getting through our hole,” Shippo said a few minutes later after seeing Koenma had a fierce look on his face.
 
Koenma gave a startled jumped when Shippo spoke and said, “Oh no, it's not that, I'm just…very irritated.”
 
“Irritated? I see no reason to be irritated,” Botan said.
 
Koenma glanced at her before saying, “It's Kagome. I just feel very irritated that she's not here and it is getting worse as more time passes.”
 
“The glow on your skin is getting darker as well,” Genkai pointed out.
 
Shippo studied Koenma for a moment before saying, “let's pick up the pace.”
 
As they started walking faster, Shizuru decided to voice a question, “Isn't he heavy?” she asked as she pointed at her brother.
 
Shippo smiled at her in understanding. “He used a lot of energy today. He will sleep for quite awhile and then be as good as new. Actually I think he is getting the better end of the deal here. These tunnels are quite long and we still have a long ways to go.”
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
The first thing Kagome noticed after the numbness faded was that her skin had a light pink glow to it. The second thing was Sesshomaru's calm voice giving out orders to Fatima and Yusuke which surprisingly the latter was following. Finally she saw the sky covered in hordes of Special Defense Force members.
 
“King Yama isn't taking any chances, is he?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
“He would be a fool not to take all actions possible to ensure his victory in this matter,” Sesshomaru responded, “though in the end he will still be a fool all the same.”
 
“Wait I met some of these guys and they weren't all that tough,” Yusuke stated as he made sure Kayko was going to be far enough away from the impending battle.
 
“Normally King Yama's policy is to only send what he thinks would be necessary to complete a task. He did not anticipate Koenma's defiance so sending such a low rank team was a mistake but believe me if Koenma did not interfere what he sent would have been more than enough to destroy your unconscious body,” Kagome explained.
 
“What should we do?” Kido asked.
 
“You humans should stand behind me, Kagome, Kurama, and Yusuke as a secondary line of defense. He is right in saying they are not a very tough enemy but there is no reason not to be as cautious as possible. Make sure no one gets to Fatima or Kayko. This battle should be a short one since once Fatima gets the barrier back up it won't matter anymore,” Sesshomaru told them.
 
Soon the Special Defense Force was upon them but between Sesshomaru's sword, Yusuke's spirit gun, Kurama's rose whip, and Kagome's sacred arrows it was hardly a challenge since the area they were defending was much smaller then Shippo's territory.
 
After a few minutes Yusuke yelled out to Fatima, “Can you hurry it up over there? This is really boring!”
 
“I will have to say I second that,” Kagome added.
 
“Almost done,” Fatima said with a laugh. After another minute or so the barrier was once again in place.
 
“It is now time to go. You can get back to the human realm and meet up with Koenma by going through the tunnels. I gave orders to Koga to head to Shippo's territory so Shippo would be able to accompany the others,” Sesshomaru explained as he led the way back through his home.
 
“So that is what Koga was up to! He was acting completely suspicious like he was trying to get rid of us,” Kagome told him to which Sesshomaru gave a bit of a laugh.
 
“With the barriers in place we shouldn't be having anymore problems here. You can tell Koenma that I fully expect to be the first person he talks to once he has taken his rightful place as King. There is much to be discussed,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Understood, I will pass along the sentiment,” Kagome said before bringing her attention to her arms, “Do you have any idea why in the world I am glowing like this? It isn't permanent is it?”
 
“If I'm correct it is nothing to worry about so don't concern yourself with it and make haste through the tunnels,” Sesshomaru said.
 
Kagome bowed to him in respect before leading the others into the cave entrance that Sesshomaru had brought them to. As they started to walk through it became apparent just how much the day's activities were taking its toll on Kayko. Yusuke quickly remedied this problem by carrying her on his back and soon she was asleep.
 
After a little while longer Kagome spoke up, “so this tunnel will lead to a big room that will have three other tunnels leading from it. Wait there for the others if they aren't there already. I'm sorry but I will not be able to lead you any further. I'm just a little…tired…” Then before the others could question her she passed out.
 
Yusuke, knowing that the other humans in the group were too tired to carry her, let out an exasperated sigh, “Oh man, is she okay?”
 
Kurama stepped forward then kneeled down next to Kagome and turned her so she would no longer be face first on the ground before saying, “She seems fine, just passed out. Don't worry I'll carry her. I've been waiting for this moment.”
 
“Waiting for this moment?” Kaito asked as he adjusted his glasses. The other three humans that stood behind him stared at Kurama in disbelief.
 
Yusuke voiced what was on everyone's mind, “You do realize she is Koenma's girl right? Who is about to become the most powerful man in existence within the next few hours! Are you crazy?!”
 
“Oh no, no, no, no,” Kurama said eyes wide as he waved his hands in denial. “That is not what I meant at all. I meant she just used a lot of energy to activate the Sacred Object of Gaia and then she fought with us back there. I was expecting her to pass out and actually I'm surprised she lasted this long.”
 
Yusuke eyed him suspiciously before saying, “Well okay. Then let's get going.”
 
Mitarai helped Kurama get Kagome on to his back before they continued on their way.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Shippo's group was the first to reach the room where all four tunnels met. Seeing that they were going to have to wait, Shippo told everyone to get comfortable and rest a bit as he propped Kuwabara up against a wall. He then sat down and started talking with Botan, Yukina, George, and Shizuru. Hiei stayed standing, leaning against the wall across where Kuwabara was at and listened into the others' conversation while Koenma paced back and forth, growing more agitated by the minute.
 
After awhile, Genkai, who was trying to meditate, snapped at Koenma and told him to sit down and shut up. Koenma responded to this by giving her a glare but he stopped his pacing and moved to lean against a wall. It was a little bit longer before they sensed the other group's arrival. Yusuke was the first person through the entrance with Kayko on his back, followed by Mitarai, then Kurama with Kagome on his back, and then finally Kido, Kaito, and Yanagishawa.
 
Upon seeing Kagome, Koenma rushed forward and took her off of Kurama's back. The moment his hand made contact with Kagome's skin the glow that was on both of their skins disappeared. Everyone there who could sense energy levels were surprised at the sudden spike they sensed in both Koenma and Kagome. It continued to increase until no one, not even Shippo, could track it.
 
Koenma went down on to one knee and held Kagome for a few moments while everyone stared before standing with Kagome in his arms bridal style. He then walked passed everyone to the entrance of the tunnel that led to the human realm and stood there a few moments before turning and facing everyone.
 
“Well that wasn't at all what I expected,” Koenma told them with a laugh.
 
“What wasn't?” Yusuke questioned.
 
“Completion, it was rather simple don't you think?” seeing the stunned faces of the group, Koenma turned and walked into the tunnel while shouting back at them, “Well aren't you coming? We don't have all century you know.”