InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Weather Witch ❯ Foreboding Clouds ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Feudal Weather Witch
by ElysianKiss

Foreboding Clouds

InuYasha sat upon the branches of a tall tree just outside Kaede's village. He couldn't help but dwell upon the events that had occurred not just a few days ago outside the village of Suiren. Kagome had displayed a power that was unlike any he had ever witnessed, priestess or demon. Now that he had more time to ponder over what had happened, he could recall a slight shift in her scent. A shift that had not disappeared, but had remained changed. The more he thought about it, the more persistent his headache was becoming. He had to agree with Kaede's decision to have Kagome go to her time and figure this out. Although he would never admit such a thing to anyone.
He turned to look down as he smelled Sango walking toward him. Sango looked up at him and smiled a little.
"InuYasha, Kaede wants to see you. She said she had a vision that she needs to speak to you about. It's about you and Kagome."
"Huh? So the old hag dreams about me and Kagome and wants to bug me about it?"
"Come on InuYasha...be reasonable."
"Feh. Tell Kaede I'll be there in a few minutes."
Sango left the half demon to his thoughts, shaking her head. InuYasha leapt gracefully from his perch, landing on his feet lightly. He walked toward Kaede's hut in a calm manner, not really excited about the prospect of having to listen to the old priestess' supposed vision. But then again, if it had something to do with Kagome's current condition it was probably worth it to indulge the old woman.
Kaede waited patiently for InuYasha to arrive. She stirred the tea leaves around the boiling pot of water and tried to calm her spirit. Her vision had been disturbing indeed. If what she had seen was true, it did not bode well for their time, nor Kagome's. She looked up as she heard the screen door being pulled aside. Her aged eyes met with those of the young half demon and she motioned for him to have a seat.
"So what's this all about, Kaede?"
"Ye are aware that Kagome is undergoing a strange transformation?"
"Yeah, so?"
"This is only the beginning, InuYasha. I had a vision, it showed Kagome in grave danger."
"What?! What kind of danger?"
"That I am not certain of, however, the danger came not from Naraku, nor any demon of this world. The danger was from her time. I saw Kagome leave on a long journey. She was in a new land fighting a fierce shadow, using her new found powers. Even her priestess powers could not hold off this enemy. Kagome died in the battle. I cannot allow this future to come true, InuYasha. I beg of ye, go with Kagome! Protect her, InuYasha!! This enemy could very well be worse than Naraku!"
"Someone worse than Naraku?! But I thought Kagome said there were no demons in her time!"
"The enemy is a human, InuYasha. A human with powers like Kagome's, only more powerful. Please, InuYasha! Promise me that you will not let Kagome go on a long journey by herself!"
"Feh! Why should I care what the wench does?"
"Ye understand not what I say! The fate of the world depends upon the outcome of this war, InuYasha! Kagome is part of it and she WILL die unless you protect her! And if she dies, there will be no one here to help in the quest against Naraku either."
InuYasha frowned. It seemed the fates had a lot of plans for Kagome, and him as well. Besides, this way he could keep Kagome safe and attribute it to his promise to Kaede, instead of his own worries. He nodded with grunt.
"Alright, if it makes you feel better. I promise to protect Kagome."
"Protect me from what?" Kagome asks from the doorway.
Kaede and InuYasha turn to her in surprise, neither had sensed her presence. Kagome looked from one to the other in curiosity. They were keeping something from her. She shrugged when neither one would tell her anything.
"Well, anyway, I came to tell you that I'm going to be gone for a year or so..."
"WHAT?! A WHOLE YEAR?!" InuYasha roared.
"Look! It's not like I have any other choice here! I have to learn to control my new powers or I could be a real danger! I made arrangements to leave Japan and go across the Pacific to another country, called America, and train there with others who have powers like me. I'm what's called a mutant. It's an evolution of the human species that allows us to gain powers and abilities."
"Grrr...."
"InuYasha," Kaede says, sending him a warning glare.
"Gah, fine! But I'm going with you, wench!"
"What?! No you aren't! You can't come with me because you're a demon! People will notice and..."
"Look, Kagome. I promised Kaede I would protect you. How can I if you're not only in another time, but another country?" he said, patiently.
Kagome opened her mouth to respond, but quickly closed it. He was right. And she knew he kept his promises. Maybe she could pass him off as a mutant too, some were known to have weird appearances.... Besides, having someone she knew with her would be comforting. Even if that someone was a grumpy half demon she just so happened to be very fond of. She sighed deeply.
"Okay, you can come. But you'll have to at least wear modern clothes. You might as well come back with me now, so I can start to teach you about modern things you'll need to know about to fit in," she said, in defeat, "There's one thing you seem to be forgetting though. What about the Shikkon shards and Naraku?"
"Kaede had a vision and said that this was more important than Naraku," he replied.
Kagome looked surprised and turned to the old priestess. Kaede nodded in confirmation. At that time, Sango, Shippo, and Miroku walked in. They had overheard the conversation from outside the hut.
"We'll keep searching for the shards, Kagome. If this is more important than Naraku, for whatever reason, it must be taken care of quickly," Miroku said.
"And don't worry. I'll take care of Shippo," Sango offered.
"Waahhh!! Kagome, don't leave me!!"
"I have to, Shippo. I'll be back though. I'll try to come visit a couple of time during the year."
Shippo sniffled and clung to Kagome's waist. It took Sango and Kagome, with the help of InuYasha, to pry the small fox demon off of her. In the end, Shippo had to be consoled with the fact that Kagome would bring him many "cool" toys from the future, to make up for her absence, when she came to visit. It actually surprised Sango and Miroku that InuYasha would actually be willing to let Kagome leave for a whole year. And to top it all off, he was also going with her. Whatever the situation in the future was that had precedence over Naraku must be something devastating.
It was evening when Kagome and InuYasha finally headed toward the well. They jumped in together and emerged in the modern world. InuYasha lifted Kagome by the waist and sprang up out of the well. They walked side by side to the house and Kagome called her mother to let her know of the new arrangements.
"Mom?!"
"Yes, Kagome? Oh! Hello, InuYasha!" Mrs. Higurashi smiled, immediately petting the poor half demon's ears.
InuYasha sighed in ever suffering annoyance. Kagome rolled her eyes and tried to call her mother's attention from InuYasha's ears.
"Mom. InuYasha is here because he's coming with me to America."
"Oh?" Mrs. Higurashi asked, surprised, "Is that such a good idea?"
"Well, apparently Kaede made him promise to go with me and protect me. And InuYasha keeps his promises."
"Well, I guess I can't stop him if he did make that promise. He'll have to get new clothes and learn all about modern appliances and technology. Do you think you can teach him in a week Kagome?"
"I can try."
"I catch on quick," InuYasha said, confidently, "One week is plenty of time!"
"If you say so," Kagome replied.
"InuYasha!! Bro!" Sota exclaimed from the doorway, practically glomping the older boy.
InuYasha sweat dropped and looked to Kagome for help. Kagome merely giggled and left him. InuYasha growled low at the "betrayal" and tried to pry the young boy off of him without hurting him.
"You're going with Kagome to America?! That's so cool! Hey! I can teach you all about modern technology! Come on! I have a PlayStation® 2!"
InuYasha found himself being dragged into Sota's room by the hyper active kid.
Meanwhile, Kagome pondered on how she would teach InuYasha all he needed to know in just a week. What the heck did she get herself into when she said he could come?! Then she remembered Kaede's concerned gaze and sighed. Oh well. She just hoped he would behave and she wouldn't have to use the subduing spell. That would take some explanations that she didn't want to make.
"Kids! Dinner is ready! I made oden!!" Mrs. Higurashi called.
Kagome's thoughts were put on momentary hold as her stomach let out a growl rivaling that of any demon. She hurriedly ran to the kitchen. She saw that her mom had also made a cup of ramen for InuYasha, she smiled as she saw that he was already digging into it. Somehow, she didn't think it would be too bad to have InuYasha with her. In fact, it was a little bit creepy, but it almost felt like he was supposed to go with her.