InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ AGainst All Odds ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha, or any of their affiliated characters. They respectively belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Rumiko Takahashi. Full credit for these wonderful characters and worlds, belong to them! I am however using Naruto, Sakura, Bankotsu, and Kagome {along with various others} for my own twisted enjoyment. The plot line of this story and all of its little twists however, I do take full credit for!

Chapter Eight:

--

As they walked along the path, Kagome tucked her hair behind her ear. "Uh, Bankotsu?" She elbowed his ribs lightly, while they walked behind the others.

"What is it?" He bounced the massive halberd on his shoulder.

She asked, "Do you think that they beat Naraku yet?"

He blinked and titled his head sideways. "Who?"

"Inuyasha and the others," She sighed.

Bankotsu snorted. "Not damn well likely."

She chewed her lower lip, to keep it from trembling.

Bankotsu released a heavy sigh. "Look, it's hasn't been long enough for them to find him yet. Remember, Naraku was pure evil." He blinked as her tiny hand slipped into his.

She asked, "Well, do you think they will defeat him?"

Bankotsu nodded. "Without what he was after, he will be weak. As much as I hate to admit it, your group of friends wasn't that weak, I mean they did take on my group."

He smirked. "And that's no small victory." He squeezed her hand lightly. "So stop worrying about them, and get your mind focused on what we are about to face." He released her hand and focused his attention back to the path ahead.

She smiled. "Thanks." They fell silent again and the wind picked up.

Kagome sighed, pulling her hair into a ponytail and tied a rubber band in it, to keep it out of her face.

Sakura observed the two newcomers closely trying to figure out what the deal was with them, as did Naruto and Captain Yamato.

Sometimes the two fought like they couldn't stand each other, and other times, it was as if they turned to each other for comfort – like now. The Priestess was obviously worried about something, though even Naruto couldn't hear them talking through all this wind.

He'd caught the choppy mention of some battle they had fought and then the wind gusted, taking their words away again.

He frowned when he noticed the priestess slip her hand into the warriors. He wasn't sure what to think about that.

Sai watched silently as the strangers walked together. 'What's with those two? Obviously he is their leader, but what's her deal?'

Yamato nodded silently to his group as they arrived near the bridge and stopped. Bankotsu and Kagome stopped as well, frowning as they watched Sai crouch to the ground and open a scroll and draw a bunch of inked mice.

He slapped his hand on the scroll and their eyes widened as the tiny mice jumped off the scroll and started scampering away.

Bankotsu placed his hand over Kagome's mouth to keep her from yelping. She stared at him. He motioned for her to stay quiet, still confused, but sensing it was time for stealth.

Yamato nodded once to the warrior. Bankotsu nodded back.

They all watched the mice disappear into their surroundings and waited.

Ten minutes later, they watched the mice come back and lie on the scroll.

Sai picked up his scroll and turned around reporting, "There is no presence of anyone around the Tenchi Bridge yet."

Yamato nodded. "That rules out an Akatsuki ambush then. Okay, we will proceed according to plan."

Sakura, Naruto, and Sai nodded.

Unable to contain her shock any longer, Kagome asked, "How did you do that?" staring at Sai.

"Jutsu," He replied.

Bankotsu nodded. "Who or what are the Akatsuki?" He stared at Yamato.

Yamato replied, "A group of rouge ninja."

Bankotsu's eyes widened.

Yamato assured, "Worry not, for they are not here, and you will learn more about them after we return to the village. For now, let's continue to the bridge and carry out our mission."

Bankotsu frowned, but nodded his consent. He turned to Kagome. "Make sure you stay quiet until we find out what we're facing here."

She nodded.

Yamato passed Naruto a picture and asked him to hold it up.

Naruto frowned but did so.

Captain Yamato stared at the picture and did some hand signs. "Mokuton Hengi!" The group watched as wood came out of the ground and surrounded him.

"Well, how did I do?" he asked.

Sakura said, "That's incredible. You look just like him."

"Excellent, now I have to match the voice. Tell me when I get close."

Sakura nodded. "Yes sir."

Bankotsu and Kagome watched in silence.

Yamato started lowering his voice an octave at a time until it got deep and almost echoey.

Sakura grinned. "There! You've got it. That's Sasori's voice, sir."

Yamato spoke darkly, "Alright, shall we begin?"

Sakura frowned. "No no no, that's way too polite. Try to sound more aggressive."

Yamato barked out, "Oh yeah, I'm irritable, and hate to be kept waiting."

He glared at his group. "We're starting this mission now!"

Naruto laughed. "You nailed it! That's exactly like him!"

Yamato nodded to Bankotsu, who nodded back.

Yamato said, "Listen up, our opponents will be on the alert, so we are splitting up and working as a team, especially you Naruto. No one makes a move before I give the signal.

He faced Bankotsu, the bridge is over that way, but remember to stay hidden."

Bankotsu nodded assuring, "We will."

Yamato said, "Let's go!" and jumped into the air, disappearing.

Naruto, Sakura and Sai started walking towards the bridge.

Bankotsu and Kagome followed them.

Near the bridge:

Naruto, Sai, and Sakura, knelt behind a rock where they would be able to see clearly.

Bankotsu and Kagome stood behind the trees waiting and watching. 'That Sai guy is hiding something.' Bankotsu watched him carefully, and kept Kagome by his side.

Captain Yamato disguised as Sasori started making his approach to the bridge.

A few minutes later, a tall, dark cloaked figure also walked towards the bridge from the other side.

Naruto muttered, "That must be the spy." as he watched the figure draw closer and start walking onto the bridge.

The figure stopped in the middle of the bridge and waited.

Yamato began crossing the bridge as his bells chimed in the wind.

Bankotsu used his hands to part a few of the low hanging branches, to get a better look. He watched the group closely, and saw the shocked Ninja trio stare at the cloaked spy, who had just revealed his face.

'So they know who he is after all, eh?'

While the trio watched the two ninjas on the bridge, Kagome gasped and instinctively grabbed Bankotsu's bicep.

He glanced sideways at her wide eyes. "What is it?"

She said, "I don't know exactly. But something evil is past that bridge. It's faint, but I sense an aura hidden in the trees. And it's slowly moving closer."

Bankotsu frowned. "Then it could still be a trap."

She asked, "Shouldn't we warn the others?"

Bankotsu grunted. "Not yet. Let's just allow this thing to play out for now. Remember Kagome, we're simply bystanders for now. We watch and observe, learning whatever we can, until I say otherwise."

Her eyes narrowed. "They could get hurt."

He snorted. "Kagome, those people are ninjas, not helpless villagers. Now quiet down."

She clenched her teeth and stared over his shoulder. Despite the driving urge to call out, she kept her mouth shut. 'I hope they will be okay.'

Bankotsu returned his full attention to the scene before them.

Kagome's eyes widened as she watched the aura appear and solidify into a solid form. Another pale skinned man with a large snake around his waist.

Bankotsu's eyes widened, but he remained silent, observing.

As the snakes flew towards Yamato, seemingly from out of this newcomers hand, Bankotsu began to wonder what exactly was going on.

Kagome stood beside him, ready to draw her arrow any minute.

They watched Yamato raise his hand into the air, and the teenaged ninja trio jump out, landing on the bridge.

Bankotsu and Kagome both tensed, but stayed put.

"That must be his signal." Bankotsu stated.

Kagome gasped. "Oh no, Bankotsu, The blonde's aura is changing.

Bankotsu demanded, "What do you mean it's changing?"

She said, "The dormant aura, it's becoming much stronger and it's demonic."

He frowned. "Like a hanyou?"

She shook her head. "No this is different. He has two auras. One completely human, one fully demon, but right now the demonic one is growing stronger and the human one is weakening."

He blinked. 'Is that even possible?'

--

A/N: Okay another chapter down. Sorry again for the long wait. See ya next round.


Preview for next time:

When Naruto's first tail appears, Kagome goes to scream and Bankotsu covers her mouth, keeping them hidden as the watch a little more and he decides which course of action to take.