InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ In Your Minds Eye ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
~Ch. 10 - In Your Minds Eye~
 
 
Kagome found herself waking in a strange and dark new place. It took her no time flat to realize that someone was holding her. She was reluctant to look up, but whoever was holding her had on very soft silk. “Naruto?”
 
“Guess again.”
 
Kagome slowly turned at an awkward position to see who was holding her. `He looks familiar. Wait, I know where I've seen him before, but that would mean.' She jumped up from his lap and he let her go with no resistance. “Kyuubi?”
 
The hansom man stood up and straitened himself out. “A pleasure to meet you.” He said with a suave bow.
 
“But how did you get out.” She took a look around. “And where are we?”
 
“I did not, as you say, get out. This ” He made a sweeping motion around him with an arm. “ is where I reside.”
 
“You mean I'm... inside Naruto?”
 
“In a matter of speaking. Though, technically, only your conscious mind is here.” He informed her.
 
“Ooook, but how” She stopped mid sentence and seem to be listening for something. “Kyuubi, why don't I hear the voices?”
 
“You were right. It does sound as though your crazy.” He smiled at her ever so slightly sending a tingle down her spine. “Like I said, only your conscious mind is here with me, your subconscious mind is still dreaming in your head. What ever the voices may be...” He looked at her expectantly for a moment to see if she would fill him in, but she didn't so he continued. “They shouldn't notice your absence.”
 
“That's amazing.” she said in awe. “Why didn't you just do that the first time instead of coming into my mind?”
 
“I had no jutsu to do that at that time. This was the first time I have ever attempted this particular technique.”
 
“What! Naruto's right you are going to mess someone up doing stuff like that.” She huffed, but then gave him a small smile. “But, it is impressive that you came up with this on such short notice.”
 
“As long as I have been alive, if I hadn't then I would have been ashamed.” He walked towards her, closing the distance she had put between them. He circled around her once and came to a stop in front of her. “I take it this is your original form then?”
 
“What do you mean?” She said nervously.
 
“In that dream of yours you started as a human and then turned half demon without a setting or rising sun and if I'm not mistaken, which I rarely am, your opponent also said you gave up your `power' for claws and teeth.” He looked her up and down. “While you are pleasing tp the eyes, for a human, I think I like you better in your other form.” He reached his hand out towards the distant darkness and made a hand motion as though he were lifting a heavy ball. Suddenly, out of no where, a horizon formed as the warm morning sun rose at an unearthly speed. Kagome just stared at the beauty of it. “Much better.”
 
“Huh.” She turned back to look at him and noticed a few strands of silver hair floated past her vision. She then looked at her clawed hands and reached up to feel fuzzy triangular ears. “But, how did you make me change?”
 
“You were human because you went to sleep human. I gave you a visual aid that would stimulate a change.” She looked like she didn't understand so he sighed and sat down in a chair that Kagome hadn't noticed before. “Have a seat, I can see this may take a while.” His tone was a little condescending. “I will entertain your need for knowledge, for now. Only because it has been so very long since I have entertained a female at all.”
 
“But where?” she looked around as she asked and realized there was suddenly a cushy chair behind her as well and took a seat. “Where did this come from? I could have swore it wasn't here a moment ago.”
 
“On thing at a time girl.” He rubbed his temple. “The chair, I manifested. Although to me this prison, of sorts, is a tangible area I am actually inside of Naruto's body and mind. I am apart of him so to speak. Now that he is asleep I can use his powers of the subconscious, by tapping into them, in order to bring some life to this dreary place.” A fluid motion of his hand was all that was need and they were quickly surrounded by tall trees and lush foliage. The two red chairs they were sitting on stood out in stark contrast to the brilliant green hues around them.
 
“It's beautiful, much better than the empty darkness.” Kagome commented more to herself as she looked around.
 
“Yes, it is ashamed I cannot do the same throughout the day. It was only recently that I acquire the ability to do this and I do miss the forest so.” For a second he looked every part the sad caged animal he was, but it was only a fleeting moment and it was gone before Kagome was even sure she saw it.
 
“That's awful. To be trapped in here.” she tried to sound sympathetic.
 
“I would be lying if I said I did not deserve it.” He gave quite a evil smirk at that.
Kagome gave him an astonished look. It wasn't everyday a male demon admitted something like that. Male demons, above all other males, were the worst when it came to posturing. Though the look he gave her made her unsure just how regretful he was about it.
 
“Now where were we.” he tapped his chin. “Oh yes, the conscious mind is tricky. That is why most tend to lean toward controlling the body vs controlling the mind when learning such jutsu. In your case, you saw yourself as human and you would remain that way until either you woke up looking different or you were stimulated.”
 
Kyuubi had said the last word a little more seductively than needed as far as Kagome was concerned, but it didn't stop here from breaking eye contact in slight embarrassment. For what she wasn't sure. “But I changed in my dream like you said.”
 
“This is true, but just like I can only borrow the ability to change my surroundings when my host is asleep, you can only change in your dreams. As I said before, it is tricky” A deep growl of a laugh sounded from his chest as he watched her scratch her head in a very un-lady like fashion.
 
“What's so funny. I'm just trying to think about it all and how if everything is so difficult or `tricky', as you put it, then why were you able to do what you did? Bringing me here and all.”
 
“It would take years to make you understand and I'm afraid I have neither the time nor the patience for that at the moment. Just suffice with the knowledge that as old as I am I am confident in my abilities not to upset your, already fragile, mental state.” he said jokingly, but with out the joking tone in his voice.
 
Kagome got a little insulted at the comment. “Hey now, that's not nice! You make Naruto here voices too.”
 
He only smirked at her as he leaned back in his chair and held the side of his head up lazily on his fist. “So tell me. How did you come to be a half breed.”
 
She crossed her arms and turned her head away from him. “I was born with it, like I said before.”
 
“Your lying.” His tone was flat yet left no room for argument. “Now tell me what really happened.”
 
She deflated a little. “I... can't. I'll get in trouble.”
 
Kyuubi leaned forward in his chair and glanced around. “With who? There is no one else here.” She looked down in her lap and fiddles with her fingers. “It's only fair. I told you what you wanted to hear now give me what I want.”
 
Kagome looked up at him with moist eyes. “I made a mistake and lost everything I had left...”
 
*the next morning
 
Sakura had gone to get Kagome to find her something to wear for the festival. She felt it was the least she could do because of the way she had originally felt about this caring girl. She knocked on Kagome's door a couple of times, but no one answered. “Maybe Naruto will know where she is.” Sakura moved a few feet to the left and, again, knocked in hopes someone would be home.
 
A groggy Naruto sleepily dragged himself over to his door to greet the sleep interrupter. “Who is it.” He asked as he opened the door.
 
“Hi Naruto.” Sakurra said this loud enough to wake the sleeping half demon in the bed, who until then, was unnoticed in the background being covered with the sheets.
 
Kagome sat up and stretch, her ears lying against her head as she yawned. “I feel like I didn't get a wink of sleep.”
 
Sakura's first reaction was to blush and look away. “Naruto, I'm sooo sorry I just wanted to...” She realized something and quickly looked back in Kagome's direction.
 
“It's not what it looks like, Sakura.” He panicked. “I swear!”
 
Kagome in the mean time saw the pink haired girl staring at her and realized exactly what she was staring at. She put a hand on top of her head and felt no bandana. `My ears! Oh no!' She frantically tried to hide them. First with her hands and then with a pillow. She settled with throwing the covers over herself like a child hiding from the boogeyman. `Maybe she'll just go away' “Sure she will... idiot”
 
Naruto in the mean time, who hadn't noticed this behind him, was still trying to explain why Kagome had slept in his apartment and Sakura was just gawking in Kagome's direction. Sakura pushed Naruto out of the way and walk toward the bed.
 
“Hey, what's the big idea?” Naruto whined after being pushed.
 
Sakura didn't answer him she just walked up to the bed, grabbed the sheets and pulled them aside. Kagome smiled awkwardly and waved slightly. “Um, hi?”
 
Naruto seeing that she didn't have her head covered on for once didn't have anything to say and just shut the door, sliding down on it to sit on the floor. “Oh shit.”
 
Sakura looked furious when she turned around to look at Naruto. “Yeah you better be worried foxy!” She stomped over to him and he stood up to meet her. “Why would you keep something like this” she pointed at Kagome who was now getting out of the bed, “from me?” She frowned. “Dose Kakashi sensai even know?!”
 
“Of course he does Sakura.” He had his hand up in a peaceful manner.
 
“Yeah right. Like I'm supposed to believe you now?” She said angrily.
 
Kagome felt now would be as good a time as any to jump in the conversation. “He's telling the truth.” Sakura looked at her with scepticism. “Honestly.” Kagome held up her left hand. “Kakashi was even the one who brought me to the Hokage to ask if I could train and live here. We can go ask him if you like.”
 
“No, it's alright.” Sakura hung her head. “I guess I believe you. I don't think something like that would have got past Kakashi sensai. Now I know what you were doing with the Hokage that night.” She looked at Naruto sadly. “All I want to know is why, Naruto. Why didn't you trust me enough to tell me?”
 
“Sakura, don't be upset. I was going to tell you, just not yet. We thought it would be better if you got to know her before finding out. We didn't know how you and Sasuke would react.”
 
“Please don't be mad with Naruto because of me. I'm sorry if I caused any trouble.” Kagome said with genuine concern.
 
“Don't worry about it. I think I can understand.” Sakura's face lightened up. “Well the original reason I came to get Kagome was to get her an outfit and hairdo for the festival tonight.” She walked over to Kagome and grabbed both ears and wiggled them. “But I think I might have to do her hair myself.” Naruto smiled and Sakura and Kagome giggled together.
 
Kagome turned to look at Sakura. “So your not upset to have a demon on your team.”
 
Sakura contemplated her answer for a minute. “Well, even from the beginning something creeped me out about you, but at least now I know I wasn't imagining the funny feeling you were giving me. Also if Naruto and Kakashi trust you then I have no choice because I trust them.” She smiled at Naruto. “Besides, I think it will do him some good to talk to someone who might understand his problem.”
 
“Well thank you for not hating me. It means a lot.” Kagome reached into her pocket and pulled out her bandana, tying it around her head. “So, since I'm awake, why don't we go outfit shopping.”
 
“Great. Naruto, would you like to come to.” Naruto gave her a frown. “Oh, come on. I think you would look nice dressed up.”
 
“Yeah Naruto. Please.” Kagome added.
 
Naruto sighed. “I don't really...”
 
“Great.” One girl grabbed each arm. “Let's go.” They said in unison.
 
Naruto reached toward his door as they dragged him away. “But what about breakfaaassst?!”
 
A little while later the trio were sitting at a food shop. Naruto whining about food made the women stop for breakfast. The two girls ate small snacks while they watched Naruto devour a rather large breakfast. After Naruto finally finished Sakura stood up trying to get the small group moving. “Are you happy now?” She asked Naruto.
 
“Very.” He said contentedly as he patted his belly.
 
“Good. Now we can go shopping.” Sakura said.
 
“Awww, Sakura. Do I have to?” he whined.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Won't you come with us Naruto? Your already out any ways and you can tell us what you think we look good in.” She smiled when he silently gave in and stood up.
 
They tried a women's kimono shop first, but didn't find anything they liked, so they decided to go to a place next where they could find Naruto something. Naruto didn't find this idea to appealing, but it was two against one and he eventually conceded again. Instead of going to one of the main clothing shop they went to an out of the way place that had vintage clothes for both men and women. The three split up to look at different things for them selves, the girls also keeping a look out for clothes for the reluctant male of the shopping group.
 
Kagome had been looking for a while, but hadn't found anything she liked yet in the unorganized store. Something in a trunk that was half propped open caught her eye. She walked over to it and kneeled down on the ground. As she opened it the outfit that lay before her eyes made her gasp. `It's just like his.' She thought to herself. “Who's” `Oh, nobody. Forget about it.' Kagome tried to blank the thoughts of the night before out of the forefront of her mind. As long as she kept up the barrier that Kyuubi had taught her to hide certain memories then all she had to do was not concentrate on them and the jewel would never know of their encounter. She reached down and carefully unfolded the top section of the black silk outfit. It felt soft and smooth as she ran her fingers along the white trim. As she moved it around in her hands she could see subtle black patterns that were only apparent if the light hit them just right. She places it back in the small chest and carried to where Naruto was.
 
Naruto was leaning against a wall until he saw Kagome coming and then quickly busied himself, trying to make it seem like he was actually looking. Kagome came up and swatted him on the shoulder playfully. “What?”
 
“Stop pretending. I know you're not really trying.” She said.
 
“Alright you caught me.” He watched as she sat a chest down. “What you got there?”
 
“Something for you. I saw it and just knew it was meant for you.” She opened it and moved out of the way.
 
He held up the outfit and looked it over. “It is nice I guess.” “Buy it.” ` Why would you care?' “Trust me. See the look on her face.” Naruto looked at her hopeful face as he held it up to him. `What about it.' “She adores it.” ` It's not like I'm going to this stupid festival anyways. You should be against going more than anyone.' “ Maybe we should go this festival and show the dog boy up. Win her heart and show him who is the dominant male.”
 
“So do you like it?” Kagome asked hopefully.
 
“It's... very nice.” He smiled warmly at her.
 
“That's wonderful, now go try it on.” She pushed him to the dressing screens.
 
“Hey.” Naruto protested as he was shoved into the small dressing area. “Weird girls and there shopping.” Naruto mumbled as he got undressed.
 
Kagome went to get Sakura who was holding a pink kimono folded in her arms. “Sakura.”
 
She turned to greet Kagome. “Hey, look what I found.” She held up the garment. It had a subtle transition from light pink at the top to deep red at the bottom of the kimono and it's sleeves. Pink sakura petals seemed to float on some unknown wind appearing more bold the farther into the red they went and tying the pink into the darker part of the dress.
 
“Oh Sakura, It's perfect for you. It even matches your hair.”
 
“Thanks. I really like it.”
 
“The reason I came to get you was so you can see Naruto when he comes out.” Sakura followed her to the dressing area.
 
“You actually got him to try something on?” She asked in astonishment.
 
“Yeah, no fight or anything.” She said proudly.
 
“Wow.”
 
“Shhh. He's coming out.” She whispered.
 
Naruto stepped out from behind the screen still looking down to make some final adjustments to the fancy clothes he wasn't used to wearing.
 
The girls made the wolf whistle and Naruto looked up a little red faced. “Meow!” Sakura teased.
 
“What's cookin good looking.” Kagome added on, although a little more shyly than Sakura's comment. None the less she was wearing a large grin.
 
“Fine.” Naruto stuck his nose in the air. “If your gonna ack like this I'm not going.”
 
“We were just being nice.” Said Kagome.
“You mean you were actually going to go with out a fight?” Asked Sakura.
 
“I wouldn't be buying an out fit if I wasn't planning on going.” He added in a salty voice.
 
“OK, ok. I just thought we would have to push you to go. That or have you bound and gaged.” She joked.
 
“Ha ha ha.” He tuned around and went to change back into his normal clothes.
 
Kagome walked up to the screen as Sakura walked away to find a dress for her. “Naruto?”
 
“What?” He sounded grumpy.
 
“You really do look nice in it.” She walked away before he had a chance to comment.
 
Behind the screen Naruto was silently smiling. “I told you.”
 
“This is kind of depressing. Everyone else has something to wear except for me.” Kagome felt like she had been through every piece of clothing in the store. Even the children's and men's sections.
 
“Did I hear you say your having trouble finding something dear.” A kind looking elderly lady walked over to Kagome.
 
“Yeah, are you the store owner?” She asked.
 
“Yes I am and you look like someone with very particular taste.”
 
“I guess so, but I guess I'm just having trouble matching my look to an outfit.” She said in slight despair.
 
“I think I know just what you need.” The old lady said with a wink. “Follow me.”
 
Kagome followed her to the back of the shop and through a door. In a secluded room the store woman turned on a dim light. The room had a few extravagant Kimono, but what caught her eye was hanging on the back wall. “Oh my. It's amazing.”
 
“I thought you would like it.” She watched Kagome admire the fine work of art. “I know it is more of a winter Kimono, but given your beautiful white hair, I think no matter what season you wear it you would be the talk of the party.”
 
“Thank you very much.” The kimono she was looking at was a pure white silk that was reminiscent of an ancient ink painting. There were subtle hints of a winter landscape in the distance, but the main focus was of a snowy bonzai like tree, it's dark twisted branches in stark contrast to the white on it's surroundings. As Kagome drew closer to it she couldn't believe the intricate detail that was involved. A sold black obi and silvery white cord hung next to it. Kagome looked at the price labeled on the wall. She then took out her money and, remembering what Naruto had told her earlier about the strange currency, she realized she had no where near enough. Her face was down hearted, but before she had a chance to turn the lady down the door swung open.
 
“There you are.” It was Naruto. “We were wondering if you found anything yet or if you wanted to go somewhere else to look.” The sad look as she looked back at the Kimono on the wall and then turned back to him did not escape his attention.
 
 
“It's ok we can go now.” She apologized to the shop keeper and left the room and finding Sakura the three left the store after paying for the two outfits.
 
Naruto trailed behind for a minute and suddenly spoke up. “You guys I think I forgot something back at the vintage store. I'll be right back.” He took off and didn't show up again for quite some time.
 
The girls had already been through another store before he caught up. “Naruto. Where have you been.” Sakura scalded.
 
“I was looking at a couple more things at the store.” He shrugged. He was carrying an extra bag.
 
Sakura turned her attention back to Kagome. “It's ok Kagome. Maybe we can find something of mine for you to wear.”
 
“What's the matter. Couldn't find anything?” Naruto asked them.
 
“I just don't have enough money for anything I like.” Kagome answered sadly.
 
“Well I'm glad.”
 
“Naruto, that's not very nice.” Sakura huffed.
 
“Well if she had found something then I would have to return this.” He pulled out a decorative red box from one of his bags and handed it over to Kagome.
 
Kagome just looked shocked for a moment. “Naruto...”
 
“Just take it.”
 
Kagome took the box from him and opened it. Sure enough it was the kimono from the back room of the vintage store. “You really shouldn't have.”
 
Sakura leaned over her to look at it. “Whoa, that looks expensive.”
 
Kagome was still staring at the beautiful garment. “Really expensive. Naruto you have to let me pay you back.” She pleaded as she looked up at him.
 
“No way.” She tried to object but he wouldn't let her. “I know what it's like to be an outcast with to few friends. It makes me feel good to do this for you. Just think of this as my way of welcoming you into your new life.” He smiled widely at her. “Besides I already found you this to go with it.” He reached in the bag again and pulled out a much smaller box. He opened it and handed her a skinny silver hair comb with three different length rows of black dangling jewels.
 
“Naruto thank you so much.” She placed the comb on the kimono and handed it to Sakura. She then jumped at Naruto giving him a warm hug. “Thank you thank you thank you.” She emphasized her excitement by bouncing up and down while still hugging him tightly.
 
As she pulled away Naruto cleared his throat. “There is one condition.” He leaned in closer to her face. “You have to give me at least one dace at the festival.”
 
“You have your self a deal.” She took back the box from Sakura and gathering all their things they made there way to the hot spring.
 
When they arrived Naruto felt how light his frog had become and decided to save the rest of his money. “I think I better not spend anymore money today. Otherwise I won't be able to do anything at the festival.” Naruto said his good byes and started to walk away. The girls had worked out getting a private room, so they weren't worried that anyone would see Kagome. As he neared the exit to the spring area he noticed a certain toad sage across the way. At first he kept walking, but then he thought `Jiraiya! What if he's here to do “research”' “That wouldn't be good for Kagome.”
 
Jiraiya had come back to the Leaf Village for the festival, but being in the village of lovely ladies he decided to do some research for his book. He had just found a good spot when he noticed a dust cloud coming strait for him. “Is that, Naruto?”
 
“Don't do it Pervy Sage!” Naruto flung himself at Jiraiya intent on tackling him.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVX: Yay. I love writing this story. Any who. I have decided that name that reviewer will happen from now on when I have enough reviews to be worth an episode and DING DING DING. Today is one of those days. So for future reference. The more people review the faster randomness ensues. Ok I'll stop talking and get to the real reason any of you read my story. Lol j/k.
 
Announcer voice guy: And now for another round of Name that reviewer! ;;;studio audience clapping;;; Today's sponsors are the letter V and the number cookie.
 
IVX: Hello everyone and thank you for tuning in. After very little consideration. Well none at all really... I have decided to turn today's contestants into movies sitting on the shelf in front of me. And here we go...
 
FXB - Immortal Beloved
Mysterylady_tx - The Princess Bride
Spiritwolf30 - Mortal Kombat
Clusterlizard1 - Premonition
Nyuka - Sleepy Hollow
Halfblackwolfdemon - Liar Liar
Hime-Jun-Hi - Monsters Ball
El Ahrairah - Independence Day
This Sayuri-Sama - Memoirs of a Geisha
Ponygirl2112 - Spanglish
Kirallie - Labyrinth
Spiritwolf32 - Highlander
Ethril Dragon - Harry Potter
SISTERINLAW19 - Snakes on a Plane
 
So there you have it. Have fun and come back soon… ^_~