InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ The Festival of the Fox ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
~ Ch. 11 - The Festival of the Fox ~
 
“Don't do it Pervy Sage!” Naruto flung himself at Jiraiya intent on tackling him.
 
Jiraiya ducked just in time and Naruto went head first into the wall behind him. He turned to look at the crumpled teen on the ground. “Naruto, what are you doing?”
 
Naruto quickly jumped up as if he hadn't gotten a facial from the hard wall and pointed at Jiraiya. “ You need to go, now!”
 
“Well it's nice to see you again too. What's the problem here?” He knew Naruto didn't like his work with the ladies, but he didn't usually act so aggressive about it.
 
“You just have to go. Do your research somewhere else you perverted old man.” Naruto looked very serious.
 
Jiraiya glanced back towards the bathing houses and Naruto moved to stand in his line of vision. Jiraiya's face lit up. “Oh, I think I know what's going on here. You have a girlfriend in there, don't you?”
 
“N,no... just friends and I can't let you see them... see them...” the thought of them naked together made it impossible for him to spit out what he meant and he just got all flustered.
 
“Alright, Naruto, as a favor to you. I will put my writing references on hold, but are you sure you wouldn't rather join me than run me off? What's the matter? Why are your cheeks turning red?” He teased.
 
“Just go Jiraiya!”
 
“Calling me by my right name. You must be upset. Don't worry I'm going, but if you change your mind I'll be getting a drink. You know the place.” He slowly walked off as Naruto calmed himself and followed him a little ways off making sure he left the hot spring area. `Hm. Who ever was in there must be special to him. He was pretty upset.'
 
The girls sank into their own private hot spring and sighed at its relaxing heat. Both had a long week and the hot water was a welcome retreat. Sakura looked across the small area to where Kagome was leaning her head back against a large rock with her eyes closed. She didn't want to look at her body or anything, she couldn't help but stare. Her demon features were out in the open and they were fascinating. The fuzzy ears on top of her head were one thing, but what really had her captivated at the moment was the fluffy white tail half floating on top of the water. It was slowly swishing back and froth as though Kagome were a content cat. She saw Kagome's head move and quickly looked away.
 
Kagome had caught the quick movement as she opened her eyes and looked at her still half dry and floating tail. She sunk it with her hand, soaking it completely. “If I'm bothering you I can cover up.”
 
“No, please, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to stair I was just curious. It was rude of me.” She apologized.
 
“It's ok.” She smiled. “That seems to be the usual reaction apparently.” She laughed. “You should have seen Kiba when he first saw me move my tail. He was like a hyper little kid or should I say pup.”
 
Sakura laughed and then furrowed her eyebrows. “So Kiba knows too.”
 
“Yeah, but don't feel left out again. It was an accident. That's why I'm going to the festival with him. He kind of black mailed me.” She grabbed some herbal soap and started to clean her tail.
 
“That's not good. What if he does it again?”
 
“I didn't think about that. I really don't know.” Kagome ran some her fingers though the fur, rinsing the soap out, as she thought about it.
 
“Well that explains why Kiba angered Naruto so bad. Naruto obviously likes you.”
 
Kagome blushed, but it didn't show. The hot water had already turned her skin a healthy pink. “Do you really think so?”
 
Sakura nodded. “A guy don't buy that kind of stuff for just any girl.”
 
“Guess I don't have to much experience in a normal girl boy relationship. One guy I knew got me weird medical gifts, another could barely admit any feelings and another wouldn't leave me alone.” She giggled. “He just started calling me “his woman” one day.”
 
“You've had three boyfriends already?”
 
“No not really. I kinda had one, but I messed that up forever.” Her voice was sad and Sakura could hear the hidden pain in her voice.
 
She decided to change the subject. “So what about tonight. How would you like me to do your hair?”
 
Kagome was caught of guard at the quick topic change. “Uh, I guess it would have to be similar to a traditional up do to try and hide my ears.”
 
Sakura looked at Kagome's beautiful long hair. “I'm pretty good with hair, but it could be hard for me to hold all that hair up. Don't worry. I'll figure out a way for it to work so we can use the hair piece he bought for you.”
“Thanks. Sakura?”
 
“What?”
 
“Do you have a date tonight?”
 
“No, but I'm always holding out just incase this one person should ever change his mind.”
 
“I know how that feels, so who is the luck guy?”
 
Sakura paused for a moment. “Sasuke.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah. I've always liked him.” she said shyly.
 
“Well I'm not one to talk, but if you tell him how you feel and he doesn't give you an answer or doesn't feel the same way you should go with someone else. Life is to short and if it was ment to be it will come in time. No use wasting time waiting. Besides you might make him jealous and spur him into gear.”
 
“Yeah, I know. I just can't help it I guess. We will be going as a group tonight so I'll have company one way or the other. I just can't see myself with anyone else.”
 
“I got ya. It's ok. Like I said. I can understand that one.”
 
* After sunset the festival area
 
A good portion of streets had been set up with activities and food stands. Paper lanterns hung all around, decorating the whole area with soft, colorful lights. Even the same park Naruto and Kagome had visited twice this week already had been decorated. Naruto stood on a bridge waiting for his female companions to show up. He hoped they would come soon though because he felt awkward enough being here at all, but even more so being by himself. Another unkind glance was thrown his way by an older gentleman and Naruto just turned away and fidgeted with his silky hori. “Would you calm down already.” Kyuubi complained. “Where are they?” he muttered to him self.
 
“Where are who?”
 
Naruto turned to see Jiraiya standing behind him. “Hi Pervy Sage.”
 
Jiraiya ignored the comment. He had long ago given up on correcting him on the nickname. “I didn't think I would see you here Naruto. What changed your mind this year? Wouldn't be your girl friend from the hot springs would it?”
 
“Would you leave it alone.” He huffed. She's not my girlfriend.
“Oh so it is a girl.” He said waving his eyebrows.
 
“A new team mate. Her name is Kagome and she and Sakura all, but dragged me out to get an outfit to come.” He huffed trying to sound like he didn't like the whole idea.
 
“But I can see they didn't have to drag you here. I take it they are who you are waiting for.”
 
“Yeah, but they're late.” He crossed his arms.
 
“So you're taking two girls to the festival huh? You sly dog you.” He patted him on the back. “I'm proud of you Naruto. Maybe my charms with the ladies are wearing off on you.”
 
Naruto shrugged him off and jumped to face him. “Would you get off it already!”
 
“Naruto?”
 
The two turned to face Kagome's voice. Before them were two visions of beauty. Sakura was vibrant in her bright colors and had her hair in a youthful up do. Sakura flowers, which were out of season, seemed to be woven though out her pink hair. Compliments of Kagome's unique ability. Kagome was the opposite end of the spectrum. The abundance of white reflected the soft light of the paper lanterns giving her and unearthly glow. An extravagant up do sat atop her head with a dainty silver hair comb, the black jewels cascading down the left side of her hair. Some hair had been left down covering where her “ears” should be and some locks were curled in spirals. Her tail was hidden under the beautiful garment and the only color was in her aqua eyes that stood in stark contrast to the rest of her. Kagome walked up to Naruto shyly. “So what do you think?” She turned in a small circle.
 
Naruto smiled softly. “I think it's the best money I've ever spent. You're beautiful Kagome. Both of you are very pretty tonight. I'm glad I came.”
 
“Thank you.” The girls said in unison.
 
Sakura turned to greet Jiraiya. “Hello Jiraiya-sama. Did you come back to the village for the festival?”
 
“Of course Sakura. With such visions of beauty running around, what self respecting man could stay away.” He turned to the other girl. “You must be Kagome. Naruto and I were just talking about you.” Naruto gave him a warning look to behave. “It's nice to meet you.” He politely bowed.
 
Kagome bowed back. “It's nice to meet you Jiraiya.”
 
“Well I have a lot to do tonight and not enough time to do it in, so I will let you three be on your way. Have fun.” He turned to leave, but before he did he whispered to Naruto. “If that girl isn't your girl friend I'd fix it if I were you.” With that said he left to enjoy the festivities and of course the women.
“How do you know him Naruto?” Kagome asked trying to make small talk as they walked to the game area.
 
“He is kind of like a mentor. He's the one I told you about. With out him I wouldn't be nearly as strong as I am now.”
 
“That's good, so he's strong.”
 
Sakura said. “He is one of the legendary Sannin.”
 
“What's that.”
 
The other two stopped to gawk at her. Naruto spoke up. “You really didn't stay in contact with the human world.”
 
“Shhhh!” Sakura scalded. “Keep it down.”
 
“I'm sorry Kaogme.” He wispered. “I guess I forgot to tell you about that part.”
 
“No harm no foul.” She looked around. “Well, there's no sign of my “date”, so why don't we play a game or something while we wait.”
 
“Sounds like a plan.” The group turned to see Sasuke. “You didn't think I'd let you have all the fun without me did you?” He was clad in a formal black outfit similar to Naruto's only it was decorated with a twisting red dragon.
 
“Glad you decided to join us.” Kagome commented kindly.
 
“I only came because I heard you might need some help getting out of a date.” He stepped a little closer than necessary. “The only problem is. To keep him away I had to convince him that I was your... special someone. So I suppose we should keep up the appearance of dating. At least for the night. I hope I'm not intruding. I was just trying to help.”
 
Kagome looked confused for a moment. “No, it's ok. Thank you for your help, but you really didn't need to.”
 
“Yeah, why did you help.” Naruto said trying to keep his anger in check. `He already stole Sakura's heart why dose he have to go after Kagome.' “It's the classic case of only wanting what one can't have. Don't let him steal her away.”
 
“I thought I would help our new teammate out of a bad situation.” he turned back to Kagome and offered her his arm. “ Though I am interested what the whole black mail situation was about.”
 
Kagome took his arm hesitantly and threw Naruto an apologetic look. “I'll tell you another time Sasuke. Let's all just enjoy the night.” Sasuke tugged her forward and the two took the lead leaving more than one jealous teammate behind them.
Naruto and Sakura followed them to a nearby game stand where Sasuke promised to win the big prize for her. The other two stood back a bit and Naruto leaned over to Sakura. In a low voice he asked, “Did you tell him about Kiba and the black mail?”
 
She shook her head no. “I figured you did, but if it isn't either of us who told him?”
 
“Kagome could have, but I don't remember the two of them ever being alone together.” he scratched his head.
 
“And he sure is acting weird. I mean this is the first time he's acted this way towards a girl, faking it or not. It's just not his style.”
 
The night went on rather uneventful. The group ate some different carnival foods and played some games. They were now in a section of the festival for dancing. Kagome had wanted to go to pay back Naruto the dance she owed him, but so far Sasuke had occupied all of her time. Finally she convinced him she was thirsty and sent him to get her a drink. To her luck a slow song was on and she walked over to where Naruto was sitting.
 
Kagome held out her hand. “May I have this dance sir.” She tried to smile to cheer up is disposition.
 
“What's the matter, can't find Sasuke?” He was jealous and it was showing.
 
Kagome's eyebrows raised in concern. “Naruto don't be that way. This was Sasuke's idea and he is apparently hard to get away from.”
 
He stood up. “You didn't look miserable.”
 
“No, he's trying to show me a good time. I can't be rude. Now let me give you that dance I owe you.” She pleaded softly.
 
Sakura sighed from across the table, “Would you just go already Naruto.”
 
Naruto didn't take her hand he just walked out onto the dance floor and Kagome followed him. He just stood there for a minute with Kyuubi yelling at him. “You idiot, just get over it. She is trying to give us the attention. I think it's all that Sasuke.” `She looked happy enough dancing with him.' Kyuubi just mentally threw his arms in the air.
 
Kagome sighed. `I just can't have it easy when it comes to guys can I.' “Karma...” `Oh shut up. I think you like tormenting me.' She mentally sighed. ` I'm not going to waist this whole night on Sasuke.' She grabbed his arm and forced his hand to her waist surprising him at her aggressiveness. She pulled him in close, so close they were flush against each other. She flashed him a coy smile and waited for him to lead.
 
The blood drained from his face for a moment when she forced him against her. He swallowed hard and tried to ignore Sakura giggling at the look on his face. To tell the truth he had never danced with a girl before and he was unsure what to do. “Um, Kagome.” He lowered his head to her ear. “I don't really know how to dance.” Kyuubi felt like smacking a hand over his face. “The charm never stops with you.”
 
Kagome smiled and started to move. “It's easy see.”
 
“Kagome, I'm sorry I got mad. It's just that I, well you know.”
 
“Like me?”
 
Naruto seemed caught unawares. “Is it that obvious?”
 
“Yeah, apparently so.” They danced in silence for a moment before she spoke again. “But you know what.”
 
“What?” He asked as she leaded her head against his shoulder and he leaned his cheek lightly against her head. “I like you too.”
 
Sasuke had come back with Kagome's drink shortly after they started to dance and watched them emotionless. As the song was getting ready to end he went over to a musician and slipped him some ryo and the name of a song.
 
He walked over to Naruto and Kagome. “Having fun.”
 
“Hi Sasuke, oh you have my drink, thank you. I was dying of thirst.”
 
As Kagome took a drink Sasuke just stared down Naruto who in turn gave him a frown. Sasuke took the cup from Kagome and handed it to Naruto as the song he requested started. “Take this for us won't you Naruto. Come on Kagome, I must dance with you for this song.”
 
Naruto just about crushed the cup in his hand as his rival dragged Kagome off.
 
“Sasuke I don't think I could possibly dance another dance. I'm getting tired.” She saw the look on Naruto's face when she had been pulled farther onto the dace floor. Not to mention the music sounded something akin to a tango and she didn't think she could pull off what she had seen people do to these dances.
 
“Nonsense, it will be fun. Last one,” he looked into her eyes. “I promise.”
 
“I guess, but I'm not sure I know how.” She said hesitantly.
 
“Just trust me.” As he said this his eyes suddenly flashed to red.
 
Kagome absently noticed the three dots in each eye. `How beautiful...' She seemed to hear the jewel trying to talk to her, but she was to focused on his dangerously alluring eyes.
 
Naruto sat down with an equally upset Sakura as they watched Sasuke skillfully glide Kagome around the dance floor in a very provocative dance. Kagome had loosened her Kimono to let a leg out of a slit, allowing her the movement needed for the dance. Many people stopped to watch the two. They looked like a professional dance team, but something caught Naruto's eye. “Cheater.” he commented to Sakura. “He's using his Sharingan to dance.” He huffed.
 
Sakura folded her arms. “Wish he would dance with me like that.”
 
Sauske pulled Kagome to him at a climax in the song and she lifted her knee to his side. Sasuke chose this time to send a subtle smirk to Naruto. Naruto stood up a little violently causing his chair to knock over.
 
“Naruto calm down.” Sakura tried to reason. “It's just a dance. I don't like it either, but it isn't hurting anything.”
 
Kagome, after being half twirled leaned her back into Sasuke. Her arms wound behind her head to his neck and turned her head to the side as he dipped his head down to graze his lips against her own neck.
 
“That's it! I've seen enough. She obviously has more than enough company for the night. I'm leaving. He stormed out of the small plaza they were in and made his way back to the apartment building. “Don't let him win!” `Just shut up! I don't care anymore.'
 
Sakura had tried to stop him from leaving, but to no avail. By the time she looked back to the dance floor both Kagome and Sasuke were gone. “Great, just great.”
 
“Sakura, what a very nice surprise to see you here. Is something wrong?”
 
“Oh, hi Lee. Yeah, it seems all my friends have left me here by myself.” She sighed.
 
“Do not worry Sakura. I will keep you company this fine evening. Please join me to the remembrance ceremony. It will be starting soon.” He smiled widely at her.
 
“Thank you Lee. That would be nice.”
 
* Naruto's apartment building
 
Naruto lay on his building's roof watching as the lanterns lifted into the air and filled the sky with hundreds of shimmering lights. He reached into his hori and pulled out a small box. Kagome had slipped something into it when they were dancing and told him not to look until later. “Guess this count's as later.” He said bitterly. When looked at the box it said `Happy Birthday Naruto.' His face softened. Inside he saw a deadly looking blue flower. Same as the one she had when they first met. He pulled out the metallic blossom and a thin red line formed on one of his fingers. “These things are really sharp.” Under where the flower had been there was a note. He unfolded it and it read:
 
Naruto,
 
Since I don't have enough money to buy you a really cool birthday present I made you one even better. If you remember, this is like the flower I had when I first met you. I am so glad that you chased me down and dragged me here. That has turned out to be one of the best days I've had in a very long time. Thank you for being so kind to me. It means more than you could ever know. I really needed someone like you in my life to help me through a ruff time.
 
Happy B-day,
Kagome
 
Naruto sighed as he put the letter in his hori. He held up the flower and it reflected the lights in the sky. “May be I should have stayed.” “You think so.” “Hey I don't need your sarcasm.” He got up and walked inside to his room. “No use in moping around on the roof.” He tried to go to bed early, but he just couldn't fall asleep. Kagome still wasn't home and the festival was over. He tried to close his eyes, count sheep, even a cup of warm milk, but still nothing. Finally he gave up and resided to lounging in his window until she returned. It was already late, she couldn't be much longer. Could she?
 
Naruto felt his heart drop as the sun rose. Kagome still hadn't come home and Sasuke was also on his own like they were. The only reasonable conclusion was that she had spent the night at his place as far as Naruto was concerned. Down heartedly he was about to leave when he saw a disheveled Kagome stumbling to the door. Her hair had come undone, leaving her ears for the whole world to see. Naruto quickly jumped out of his window and landed next to her.
 
Kagome wobbly swung around and greeted him with a smile. “Hi Nnnaruto.”
 
Naruto steadied her with his hand on her shoulder. “Kagome are you... drunk.”
 
Kagome waved her hand at him. “Pssss, yeah right Naruto. I don't drink.”
 
He grabbed her again as she wobbled. “Sure Kagome, let's get you upstairs.”
 
“I can walk on my own.” She shrugged his arm off. “I'm fine.” She straitened herself and started to walk up the first step before she collapsed onto the stairs unconscious.
 
“Yeah I can see that.” He reached down and picked her up bridal style. Again he felt his heart sink even lower as he saw what looked to be an intimate bite mark on the inner thigh of her left leg. The outer Kimono was more of a robe, now, the way she was wearing it. He stopped, closed his eyes and swallowed a hard lump before he covered her leg and walked her to his apartment. He couldn't find her key on her visibly and he wasn't about to go rummaging through her clothes while she was still in them. He also couldn't leave her out in the hall how she was, so the only thing he could do was bring her to his own room and put her back into his bed. “You are to nice. I would have left the unfaithful vixen where she fell.” `No you wouldn't. You have feelings for her too and you wouldn't leave one of your own to the mercy of humans.'
 
He sat on the couch and put his head in his hands. Pulling them slowly down his face. “What am I going to do with you Kagome.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
IVX: ;;;Dodges knifes, rotten veggies, and other various trash items being thrown at her.;;; Whoa, just hold on a minute. You have no idea what happened. So before you go jumping to conclusions like Naruto did. Just remember this is and will always be a Kag/Nar pairing. So you'll just have to read to find out what really happened. But I wouldn't expect the whole truth to come out right away. Hehe, I'm evil. I know. Well please review with out to much scalding. Until next time... ^_~