InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ Crossing Paths ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
~ Ch. 18 - Crossing Paths~

Kagome watched as each kunai flew from her hand with deadly accuracy. Each hitting their mark as crimson sprayed from its intended target. Another and another. It was a sea of undefined faces. Black and white camouflage and musical notes on silver forehead protectors. She watched with a detached fascination, her body seemingly acting on its own accord. Another, then another. ‘Why won’t they stop? Where do they end?’ As if to answer her question the figures slowly faded down to only a few. The next of an unending supply of kunai slipped though the air and as Kagome looked upon the target’s face it seemed to change and reshape. Undefined features turned soft and feminine while dark hair melted away to bubble gum colored tresses.

The blade sunk into flesh.

Kagome watched helplessly as blood spilled from the chest of her newly formed comrade and friend. ‘No....’ The whispered thought was barely in her mind when her fingers nimbly manipulated the next kunai to an unseen target. As pained eyes rolled back in the kunoichi’s head, Kagome was forced to look to her next victim. Just as before, the shapeless face morphed. This time she watched her sensei fall to his knees, lingering there for a moment, and then fall face first on the ground. ‘By the gods...Not again’ she thought grimly as her hand whipped out the next weapon. Oh how she wanted to close her eyes, but some unseen force kept her vigil. This time blond hair spiked forth. ‘Please not him!’ blue eyes widened as the lethal blow hit. He closed his eyes tight and coughed up blood. When he opened them again to look at her with despairing sorrow the now striking orbs of red pulled her focus into them completely. With out even noticing the change she now looked upon Kyuubi.

Kagome finally found control of her limbs and ran to him. She caught him, easing his fall, as he came to rest against a tree. “Please don’t die! I’m sorry I’m so sorry. Just don’t die!” She touched the protruding kunai, wanting nothing more than to make it disappear. Staring at it intently she willed it to not be true.

“What’s the matter Kagome. Just do him like you did me.” A gruff voice said making her snap her eyes back to the face of the man she held.

“Inu... Inuyasha.” Suddenly she noticed the kunai in her hand was no longer a kunai, but an arrow. “How.....”

Gaara saw the sky slowly lighten signaling the approaching morning. The fire had long ago die out, but he had kept the sand walls up to protect Kagome from the elements as she slept. He would be waking her soon though, so he felt no need to shelter her any longer. The sun would warm her well enough. Sand sunk down around them and he stood to stretch his legs. A whimper came from the sleeping woman on the ground drawing his attention and as he moved closer he noticed a stray tear roll down her cheek. Curiosity got the better of him and he leaned in close to her face, examining her, as the soft morning rays fell on her creamy skin.

“Ahhh!” She shot up and Gaara almost fell over from the sudden movement. Almost.

He took a step back as her features shifted to those of her demonic nature. Her breath was quickened and it was evident that the change was uncomfortable to saw the least, but the look in her eyes seemed more saddened than pain filled. Only a moment later the Kagome he met that night in the desert sat before him. All traces of the previous humanity gone. She turned those deep pools of blue-green on him and she smiled nervously.

“Not the best way to wake up, if ya know what I mean.” Her awkward smile faded and the sadness from before lingered in her eyes. She finally stood up and stretched herself out, bones cracking and popping. She rolled her neck around. “Can’t say that was exactly a good nights sleep, but I guess it’s better than nothing.” She tried to shake off the nightmare and get the day started.

If the bags under Kagome's eyes were any indicator then she obviously received no peace in her dreams. Gaara knew all to well that sleep did not always equal rest or peace. In fact to him sleep could be deadly, for the people around him at least. He watched her rummage through her pack and pull out two bars of food. She tossed one at him and then cocked her head slightly. “What is it that you want?” She obviously wanted to ask him something.

“Did you get any sleep last night?”

“Why do you worry over my sleeping habits?”

“Well we did have a big battle yesterday and you don’t strike me as the type to fall asleep and leave us with no security, so I’m guessing you didn’t get any rest. Aren’t you tired?” Her voice held sincere concern.

“I do not sleep.” he stated as if it was a normal thing for people.

“You don’t sleep!?” she just about yelled in surprise. “Like ever?”

“No. I do not.”

Kagome stared at him unbelievingly. “Even with the demon’s strength you have to sleep sometime. Right?”

“I believe I already answered the question.” His eyelids lowered a fraction in annoyance as she still questioned his word.

“But everyone has to sleep eventually. At least that’s what I thought. Even full demons sleep!” She looked him up and down. “Ok so if you don’t sleep then how do you rest?”

“Meditation.”

“Why don’t you just sleep? It’s so much easier.” She was flabbergasted with him. He had to be lying to look tough or some stupid macho thing.

Now he was really starting to get annoyed with her. “The demon.” There, now maybe she would leave him alone.

“The demon won’t let you sleep? How awful for you. How does he do it?”

Gaara’s eye threatened to twitch. ‘Why does she care so much.’ “I am the one who keeps myself awake. It is the demon that want’s me to fall asleep.”

“Then why don’t you?” Now she was getting a little confused.

“Unless you want a blood thirsty beast released upon the country side then you had better be happy that I have mastered a life with no sleep.” He said with an edginess in his voice.

“Oh... I see. Well then again sleep isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.” She was thinking back to the awful dream she had awoken from. She quickly shook her head to clear her mind and an awkward silence fell between them once again as they began the day’s travel.

Kagome wasn’t sure how long it had been since they started walking, but the sun was getting pretty high in the sky before Gaara spoke again. It’s like he just picked up in the middle of a conversation when he talked out of the blue like he did, but any conversation was welcome to stop the thoughts of death playing through her mind.

“Do you become human often?”

Kagome sweat dropped. ‘Yep, he must talk to himself in his head more than I do. Or maybe it’s the demon like Naruto and Kyuubi.’ “No not often.” ....silence.... ‘well this won’t do.’ She thought. She needed to start a deeper conversation before they spent the entire trip only speaking a sentence every few hours. “So the demon you house...” Gaara stiffened ever so slightly at her words, but she didn’t notice. “You said his name once before. What was it again?”

He glanced at her wearily. “Shukaku.”

“Ah.” She waited for a moment.

“......”

Nope she’d have to do better than that. “So... What’s Shukaku like?”

Gaara stopped in his tracks and turned to her fully. “Why are you so interested in my personal life?”

She stopped and put her hands on her hips. “It’s not like I’m the only one mister. Weren’t you the one asking the questions last night?” She turned and started walking again, Gaara following after a moments pause. “I was only trying to make small talk. If you haven’t noticed by now, I don’t like silence.”

“Obviously.”

Kagome huffed a little, not to sure she liked the way he said that. “I guess you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. I was just curious.”

“.....The demon is a psychotic, blood thirsty monster who’s only pleasure is blood shed.”

Kagome hoped he was being over dramatic when she asked about his sleeping problem, but the conviction in his voice told her otherwise. She couldn’t imagine haveing someone like Naraku locked in her head forever. ‘No wonder he’s distant.’ “I’m sorry.”

“I do not want nor do I need your pity.”

“How do you keep from going crazy?” She asked with concern.

Gaara resisted the urge to sigh. She obviously wasn’t going to leave the subject alone, unless... “I keep him locked away. What of your self. You are the demon. Does that not eat away at your humanity?”

Kagome laughed slightly. “Not all demons are evil beasts bent on death and destruction. It isn’t like it’s built into the DNA. Some are actually quite kind and gentle.”

Gaara looked at her a little disbelievingly, but then again in some ways she did seem to contradict the theory herself. “You may have to convince me of that yet. While you are different than what I expected in a demon you still seem prone to fighting.”

Kagome paused on this thought for moment. “I guess something in a demon’s blood does cause them to be a little hot under the collar, but that still doesn’t make them murdering evil devils or anything. I think it has more to do with instincts or something about dominance.” She smiled. “When I was still a human I traveled with a half demon and I remember wondering why he always acted so macho. Then again, I was always a little... short fused, about certain things. ” She noticed him staring at her and cut her reminiscing short, clearing her throat. “Anyways, all I was saying was that not all demons are bad, I’m just sorry you got the bad end of a deal with yours.”

“This curse is not lacking in advantages.” He emphasized his point by manipulating some sand he had stored in pockets to swirl in the air.

“I know what you mean.” She pulled out a seed that bloomed into a white rose in the palm of her hand. She turned a soft smile to him and surprisingly enough he returned it with an, albeit small, smile of his own.


*Hidden Rock Village

Naruto casually walked around the city trying not to look conspicuous. His hair hung freely around his face. He had removed his head band shortly after he entered the Earth Country. It and the Fire Country weren’t exactly on "good terms" to say the least. No use in getting in unnecessary confrontations. His main focus needed to be finding Kagome before she got herself into trouble. He went with his original plan to come here and look for her first. It was as good a place as any to start.

He had nearly laughed when he snuck past their defenses so easily. He was careful to be discreet in his questions about a white haired girl running around and while no one suspected him of being an intruder he had found no leads. He sighed to himself. ‘Well either she's not coming here or she hasn’t got here yet because there’s no evidence of an attack anywhere.' “Or sighting of a white haired girl save the little rock nin most directed us to.” He ducked out of sight and made his way to the city’s rocky walls. With a quick glance around he sped over it in the blink of an eye. To his surprise he landed directly in front of someone. He took a defensive position and the other person mirrored his actions. Suddenly the masked person before him dropped their guard.

“Naruto?”

Naruto watched her carefully. “Who wants to know?” The person took off her mask in response. “Temari?” He asked dumbly. “What are you doing here?”

“Shhh.” She hushed as a guard passed by on the wall above and they both jumped into the surrounding conifers. Temari nodded her head for them to move to a safer spot and Naruto conceded.

When they were finally a good distance away Naruto picked up where they left off. “Ok so why are you here?”

“I could ask you the same thing Naruto.”

“I’m looking for a lost comrade.”

“Then it seems we are on similar quests.”

Naruto gave her a funny look. “Who’s missing that you would go looking for them yourself?”

Temari mulled over an idea in her head. “I’ll tell you only if you tell me who your looking for first... and you have to swear secrecy.”

“I’m looking for Kagome. The girl you met in the desert that night. It seems your little demon expert convinced her we couldn’t handle what ever quest she’s on because she up and left with out word or consent.” He answered. His tone a little miffed that it was their village’s expert that caused this.

“Do you mean Genku?” Naruto shook his head yes. “He was found dead shortly after we realized one of our own were missing. Maybe these three incidents are connected somehow.”

“Who’s missing then?”

“Gaara.”

“What!” Naruto yelled. “Who’s running the village?” He asked in a much quieter voice, hoping the guards hadn't heard that.

“Kankurou for the moment, but it’s only a matter of time before people start asking questions. Gaara indulges himself in missions occasionally, but his duties never allow him a long leave of absence.”

“You don’t think.... Not after that fight...” Naruto thought aloud.

“What are you talking about?”

“Kagome and Gaara got into a little... sparing match.” He answered. “You don’t think they left together after fighting do you.”

“Gaara’s never been easy to read, but I wouldn’t put it past him. The question is why?” Temari looked Naruto in the eyes. “It seems we would do good to join efforts. Our task may be one in the same. What have you found so far?”

“Jack squat. I only know that Genku sent her after some scroll in this country and that it’s guarded by some top ninja clan.”

Temari’s brows furrowed. “Well that doesn’t help much.”

“Tell me about it.” Naruto sighed. “And to make things worse Grandma Tsunade will send the hunters after her if I don’t find her soon.”

“This is a grave situation.” Temari agreed.

“Have you got any leads so far?” He asked in return.

“Actually, I did come across something peculiar a while ago.”

“Go on.”

“There was evidence of a battle from the blood stains on the ground and all the kunai, but there were no bodies anywhere. It was near the boarder of this country in the direction of my own. I tried to find a trace as to where the people involved had gone, but no such luck.” She waited to see what Naruto thought about it.

“If it was Kagome and Gaara we would be able to sent them if she took us there.” ‘That’s exactly what I was thinking.’ “Temari, can you find that spot again?”

“Yeah, that’s easy.” She answered with confidence.

“The lets hit it. We’ve already wasted to much time.” The two took off with Temari leading the way.

* with Kagome and Gaara

The terrain had finally changed from flat bleakness to a rapidly thickening forest of evergreens and sharply rising peaks, the beginnings of mountains. A soft snow had started earlier and Kagome thought the dark green trees looked absolutely beautiful lightly covered in sparkling whiteness. Snowflakes drifted down lazily around them and Kagome smiled widely at the surreal picture before her. However, when she looked over to her traveling companion he looked, for lack of a better word, grumpy to be in the frozen precipitation. That’s when an idea popped into her head. With her white features and her lightly colored winter cloak she would blend into the surroundings quite well. She suddenly dashed off without warning.

Gaara stared in the direction she had gone wondering what could have possibly made her run off like that. He lost sight of her just after she left his side. Then it hit him... *Shplah* He looked down at his own brown cloak to see a spattered snowball stuck to the cloth. The sand sensing no danger from the soft object had not risen to his deffence. He turned a questioning look to the revealed half demon to his right. She smiled playfully while she tossed another snowball up and down in her other hand. ‘She wouldn’t dare...’ *Shplud* Again Gaara’s eyes traveled to the offending white mess on his clothes. The look he threw her way was definitely not playful. She pouted and ducked down behind a snowbank. ‘What is she doing?’

*shthud* This time he sent his sand to block her ‘attack’ with ease.

“Hey! No Fair! No abilities!” She quickly ducked down again and moved out of sight.

Gaara kept a watchful eye about him as he spoke to her. “May I ask you, what on earth you think you’re doing?”

“Haven’t you ever had a snowball fight?” He heard her say.

He turned in the direction of the voice, but saw no trace of her. “No.” He stated crossing his arms.

“Then your way over due.” Kagome let another snowball fly towards his back, but just before it hit he turned and smacked it out of the air much to Kagome’s dismay.

“Is this some ridiculous form of training?”

“No silly.” She giggled. “It’s a game. You know, little kids play it to have fun. You really need to let loose more.” That said she faded out of sight again.

‘She’s playing with me?’ He thought. ‘With no ulterior motive? Just to have... fun.’ He hesitantly bent down and scooped the snow at his feet into a ball. He stood up staring at the round white object in his hand. *Splah* Gaara shook the snow from his hair with a frown.

“You should really pay more attention Gaara. Your gonna look as white as me if you keep it up.” She laughed. Gaara smirked evilly and she gulped. “Hey, I’m just playing. It’s only a game...” *Shplud* Kagome flew backwards off her feet and landed in the snow. She laid there for a second just blinking in surprise with a white mass smack dap in the middle of her forehead.

“Given up already?” He called after her.

That was all she needed. With a grin she jumped to her feet wiping the snow off her face. She ran to another hiding spot and made up a rather large pile of ammo. Peeking out from behind the snow mound she saw him standing out in the open. ‘Perfect.’ In almost a machine gun fashion she hurled one after the other at him, but he didn’t move. ‘What the heck?’

As the snow balls reached him his sand shot out of his pockets and seemed to slingshot them back to their owner.

“Eep!” *Shplah shplud shplop shplah splash shplop shplud* At least three hit her in the face alone. As she moved her face muscles the snow fell off in clumps. Her face was slightly red, but most likely not from the attack. “I thought I said no powers!” She grumbled clenching her fists at her side. She shook herself off, looking very much like a wet dog drying its self. The ears flopping against her head didn’t help either. Her anger quickly subside at the sound that met her ears. Gaara... laughed. It was soft, but there was no malicious undertone or demon educed psychosis. It was just a laugh. Kagome smiled for a moment. ‘But I can’t just let him get away with it that easy.’ Her smile turned into a smirk as she reached her energy out to the tree he was currently under. ‘Got ya.’

Gaara looked up as a branch creaked only to be covered in a mountain of snow. He quickly dug himself out and looked at Kagome incredulously. Apparently the look he was giving her on top of his snow caked and all around uncomfortable appearance was to much and she broke out into a fit of laughter.

“If you... could only... see” She said in between giggles. “The way... you look. Ahhahahahha” She grabbed her sides and fell over in the snow from laughing so hard.

Gaara started to frown, but try as he might he couldn’t be angry with her. In fact, her laughter was so contagious, before he knew it he was smiling. Even though there was snow all inside his clothes and he had just been bested he just relaxed and joined her with his own laughter. His laugh was no where near as loud or giddy as hers, but it was genuine and, dare he say, happy. ‘Is this what others feel...’

Kagome got up and wiped a tear from her eye. Still grinning widely as she spoke. “Alright, lets get you somewhere warm and get you out of those clothes.” Gaara stopped softly laughing and gave her one of those dead pan stairs. “Um, ha, I don’t mean it like that.” She said turning bright red. “We just can’t have you catching pneumonia or something.” He raised a brow, but didn’t say anything. “Ugh!” She threw her arms in the air in defeat. “Lets just go.”

After she turned to walk he followed after her, sporting a subtle smile. Yes... he could get used to this.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVX: I just love to see gaara finally get to be happy... don't you? Sorry for any updates being far between, but i'm getting into school for medical lab tech so I'm kinda busy with entrance exams and fafsa forms etc... As soon as i get done with this stuff i should really start updating good though because i have to finish this story before fall classes. I still have so much to put in this story so i have to get down to it. Give me a month cause i have to sign up for classes the very start of may and after that i should be free again. I guess it's time for another name that reviewer huh? Hehe. no announcer this time, he quit. And untill another host is found it wont be in the studio soooo.... In the basement then? OK!

;;;Hands folded papers to group seated on miss matched chairs in a dingy basement with a washer and dryer in the corner;;; "Heh" ;;;scratches back of head;;; "Have fun" *POOF* ;;;disappears leaving peoples to find out their prizes/randomnesses out without her;;;

clusterlizard1 - unfolds paper to see it is a picture of the Three Years War and there’s a comment written on it in permanent marker. “Long enough for ya... hehe”
halfblackwolfdemon - finds a tissue (unused) folded up in paper
El Ahrairah - sketch of butt being kicked by a boot
FxB - it’s a note that reads - “Finally. Somebody gets it!”
Samantha_Shelby - It is a single question survey ... “Do you, as an avid fan of the anime series Naruto, find the character Gaara to have blue or teal eyes? Please check one. [ ]blue [ ]teal.”
Nyuka - several Star Bucks coupons fall out and the note reads “Indulge in the pleasures of caffeine.”
squeefan - it’s a picture of a screw being screwed into chibi Kagome’s back
Kagome and L - when the paper is opened Kabuto jumps out and pies Kagome and L in the face “What do you think of my tricks now? Mwahahaha” suddenly a pie appears in K&L’s hand to do with as they please...
spiritwolf - it’s a valentine from none other than Kagome
Jessica Cowley - opens the paper to find a tiny little recorder taped to the inside. There is a note saying “play me” next to it. When she pushes play IVX’s voice comes out loud enough to blow JC’s hair back slightly. “THANK YOU. ME TOO!!!!!”
HeartStar - there is a picture of Gaara......... stripping!?!
kawaiigirlanime - reads - <_< >_> ^_^ XD
strawberryblack - the note reads - “Yes, just make sure to mention me with the link. Thanks... ^_~ .”