InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ Rabbits, Reunions and Revelations ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
~ Ch. 19 - Rabbits, Reunions and Revelations ~

Temari thought she might just die by the time they reached the sight she had told Naruto about. The leaf nin was being a slave driver in the way he pushed her and the worst part was that he seemed to not even break a sweat. She looked to Naruto to tell him they were almost there, but before she could even speak he seemed to move so fast he almost disappeared to her eyes. She look ahead of her and saw him already inspecting the ground. She finally slowed down and collapsed to her knees not far from him. “Find.... anything?” She said between pants.

Naruto didn’t even acknowledge her question. He was to intent on the smell taunting his nose... Kagome’s blood. He clenched him fists and his features took on an ever so subtle, feral edge. Temari noticed this and became a little apprehensive. Sensing her anxiety Naruto allowed himself to relax. Well relax as much as one could with an angry fox demon snarling in the back of your mind. His arms went limp at his sides and he sunk down to sit on his knees. “Oh Kagome.... what did you get yourself into now.”

“What’s the matter Naruto?” Temari reluctantly got up from her restful position and moved closer to him.

“It’s Kagome’s blood. She was hurt.”

“Kagome’s blood? How can you tell?”

“I can smell it.” He said off handedly as he dropped to all fours and inhaled deeply.

“Really?” She asked amazed at the fact he could smell the difference between different people’s blood.

“Yeah.” He took another sniff.

“Heh. You know kid, you look a lot like dog sniffing the ground like that.” She laughed a little at the sight he was making.

“Don’t insult me.” He said standing up. “Or I might not help you find Gaara.”

Temari’s eyes lit up at this. “You smelled him too?”

“Yeah, believe it or not, the two of them are traveling together. Now lets go. They have such a big head start we have no time to waist.”

Temari whimpered a little as she stood up. ‘You suck.’ She mentally stuck out her tongue at him. She hurt all over and she hated the prospect of moving at the moment, let alone running at his insane pace.

“Kit, look at her. Her weak human body is exhausted. I am surprised she ran as far as she did.” ‘Yeah your right.’ Naruto thought as he looked at her grudgingly pull herself to her feet. ‘I can’t afford to wait any longer though. I’ll just have to carry her.’

Temari was a little startled when Naruto jumped in front of her and knelled down. She gave him a funny look. “What are you doing?”

“Jump on. I’m going to carry you the rest of the way.”

She crossed her arms. “I don’t think so. I’m perfectly capable...”

“Look.” He said sternly looking over his shoulder at her. “I don’t have time for this. Either you get on my back or I’ll leave you behind. It’s up to you, but in your current condition there is no way you’ll be fast enough to keep up.”

Temari stood her ground stubbornly for a moment before relenting. She was tired after all. “What ever. Just watch your hands.” She said with a little glare. She climbed on and as an after thought added, “And you better not tell anyone about this.”

Naruto shook his head at her antics. She was worried about her reputation of being a hard ass probably. “My lips are sealed. Now hang on.”

She barely had time to get a good grip on him before he took off at a mind blowing speed. “Ahhhhh.”

“What’s the matter Temari? To fast for ya?” He teased over the sound of wind whipping by.

“No.” She growled, but still grabbed him tight around his neck and held on for dear life. ‘He was playing with me before. ‘In my current condition’.’ she scoffed. ‘Even on a good day there’s no way I could keep up with this pace. How does he run so fast?’ she asked herself in amazement.

Naruto snickered a little, but soon turned his attention back to the task at hand. He kept smelling the air to pick up on the trail the two left. The trail didn’t smell too old, so hopefully he would catch up to them by nightfall.

* Cave in the Earth Country

Gaara wore an extra desert robe as his cloths hung over a rock drying near the fire. They had been lucky to find such a convenient location not far from where they had their snow fight. The cave was deep enough to be well sheltered and Gaara had used his sand to carefully carve holes above the fire to allow ventilation. Kagome had gone out to find some fresh meat since they had stopped early and had time to properly prepare such a meal, so Gaara was sitting alone in the slowly warming cave. He stared into the fire as he contemplated the little half demon traveling with him. His thoughts were running over something she had said the night before. ‘Love...’ a holy woman had love strong enough to make her want to give up her humanity and become, essentially, that which she was born to fight against. Try as he might he couldn’t grasp what it must be like to have that kind of feeling. Happiness in general was somewhat of a new experience to him. Thanks to Naruto he had been able to slightly lift the self inflicted veil of hatred, but he was yet to feel love or any good emotion in that strong of a magnitude. Then another question came to mind. If it was love that caused her to make such a decision then where was the person that love centered on? Gaara’s mussing was cut short as a lightly snow covered Kagome bounded back into the cave.

She shook herself off at the entrance and her tail swished behind her happily as she held up two small rabbits. “Not to bad eh?” she asked with a smile.

Gaara nodded in approval as Kagome moved to the side of the cave and began the task of skinning and preparing the meat. Gaara watched as she used deadly sharp claws instead of a knife to cut into the skin. Blood coated her fingers and the stray though of what those claws could to in battle passed his mind and he felt a slight anticipation grow within him. Would he have the chance to fight her again? He hoped so. Though next time it would be more enjoyable... and explicitly uninterrupted. If he had anything to say about it.

“You know,” Kagome started bring Gaara out of his thoughts once again. “ it’s been quite a while since I had rabbit... and Inuyasha was usually the one to do the hunting and cleaning.” She said with a slight grimace as she started peeling the skin back. ‘Can’t say I like getting my hands all covered in gore.’

Gaara was suddenly kneeling down beside her and starting on the second catch, she had yet to reach, with a kunai. Kagome gave him a disbelieving look, but it soon turned to a smile and she continued her own work. “Who is this Inuyasha?” Gaara asked without looking up from his work.

Kagome’s face saddened a little, but she decided she was ok to talk about him now. “He was the half demon I told you that I traveled with.”

Gaara paused for a moment, but after he had run a few things over in his mind he continued. “Is he the reason you turned yourself into what you are now?” It was a logical conclusion being that she was now a half demon.

Kagome looked at him thoughtfully. “You know, your pretty smart. Maybe to smart.” she teased with a nudge to his arm. He looked down at where she had touched him for a long moment, but Kagome seemed not to notice now that she looked away again. “But, yes. He is the one I loved and the reason I turned myself into a half demon. And before you ask I’ll save you the trouble. No he didn’t ask me to I came up with it all on my own. I thought he would love me more if I were like him.”

Gaara was surprised she knew he was going to ask her that, but she didn’t answer the one thing he really wanted to know. “Where is he now?”

Kagome’s shoulders sagged. “Unreachable.”

“Dead?”

“Not quite, but to me he may as well be.” she moved to take their finished work over to the fire. The spit had already been set up and she just staked the bodies and placed them over the flames. They both cleaned their hands in a small pool of water that had been melted from ice in the heat from the fire. The two sat down next to each other to watch the meat cook in silence. Kagome turning the meat every now and again. After a time it was Kagome’s turn to ask the questions. “What about you Gaara. Have you ever been in love?”

Gaara resisted the urge to scoff at the question and instead just turned his face slightly away from her.

“Oh come on!” She whined. “I answered your question. Besides, you had to have broken dozen of hearts.”

Gaara turned back to her with interest shining in his teal blue eyes. “And what is that supposed to mean?”

Kagome blushed slightly. “Well, uh, what I mean is that you, ya know.” Gaara cocked his head slightly. “Well, lets just say if my school girl friends saw you they’d be going gaga over your good looks.” She finally settled on that statement hoping it didn’t sound like she was a hormone crazed school girl herself.

Gaara was taken aback. Good looking.... him? Surely she was joking. ‘I have been a monster in everyone’s eyes how does she not see what they do?’ He had been labeled demon and monster for so long that it was hard not to look at himself in the same manner. The thought that he might have good looks had never even passed his thoughts. That’s why his hair was kept so unruly. What was the point of trying to make it look good if he didn’t?

The shocked look he was sending her was quiet amusing to Kagome and she giggled. “Don’t look all surprised. You know you look handsome, so don’t try and deny it.”

Gaara regained his composure and his brows furrowed a little in contemplation.

She cleared her throat. “Don’t take me the wrong way. I don’t mean anything by it, but you just acted so surprised to hear me say it.”

He looked at her again with the same concentration, studying her with his eyes. “You believe that I have handsome features?”

“Well, yeah, I mean... heh.” She scratched the back of her head. “Like I said don’t take it the wrong way cause I’m kinda involved with someone right now, but yeah you look good. Has no one told you that before?”

“No.” He turned back to gaze at the fire. “The meat is burning.”

“Oh!” She moved the meat to the side to allow it to cool for a moment before turning back to him. “Haven’t you ever had a girlfriend or someone like that compliment you before?”

“I wasn’t exactly... excepted. Even now people fear the power I hold rather than respect the shinobi I am.”

Thoughts of how Inuyasha and Naruto described the way they were treated as children passed over Kagome. The images of all three of them being outcast because of something they had no control over. Children treated like dirt by entire villages or races. The world was so cruel sometimes. Before she knew what she was doing she moved closer to him and wrapped her arms around him.

Gaara froze in place as he felt her soft arms slide over his own from behind. She rested her head on his shoulder and squeezed slightly. Gaara finally relaxed into the embrace, just enjoying the feeling of such an affectionate touch rather than worrying about the why.

“I’m so sorry you had to go through that. The world can be so unfair.” As reality came back to her she realized the awkward position she had put them in. He wasn’t returning her hug, but he hadn’t attacked her for it yet so that had to be a good sign, right? She was about to remove herself from his person and apologize, but before she could a voice sounded from the entrance of the cave.

“Gaara?” it was a female voice.

“Kagome?” And that would be Naruto.

Kagome winced and quickly jumped away from Gaara as she realized how that must have looked. “Um, hi Naruto... Naruto?! What are you doing here!?”

“I’m interested to find out as well.” Gaara added.

“We should be asking you the same thing.” Naruto said with a slight possessive growl under his voice. He had set Temari down just outside the cave and was happy to finally see Kagome again, but this was definitely not the welcome he had expected. However, he learned a while ago that looks can be deceiving, so he would give her the benefit of the doubt... for now. Though it didn’t stave the possessiveness his demonic qualities pushed on him. “We are going to have to have a talk with her on what is appropriate behavior with other males.” Kyuubi growled in the back of his mind.

Temari was torn between amusement at the sight of what she walked in on and fascination with the appearance of the leaf kunoichi. She looked over at Naruto who returned her gaze and a look of realization dawned on him.

“Kagome!”

His yell startled her and she squeaked a little. “What?!”
“Your ears and tail!”

Kagome quickly covered her head with her hands. ‘Why do I even try this. It obviously doesn’t work.’ She lowered her hands with a sigh. “Sorry Naruto. Guess I just got to comfortable not hiding them while it was just me and Gaara.” She said sheepishly.

Gaara had said something about thinking this girl was a demon earlier on, but to see her like this she couldn’t help the question that escaped her mouth. “Wh... what are you?” Temari stuttered and stepped forward a little to get a better look at her.

Naruto sighed this time. “At this rate your secret won’t be much of a secret anymore ya know.” The small smile on his lips was contradicting the serious reprimand he was going for.

Gaara spoke up. “She is a half demon and a comrade. Treat her with respect.”

“Half demon?” She wondered out loud. She looked at Gaara in question and he knew what she wanted to ask.

“No not like me. She is half demon and half human.”

Naruto decided to cast aside Temari’s surprise and the whole Gaara hug thing, for the moment. He just focused on what he had wanted to do the whole way there. He strode up to her and wrapped his arms around her. He inhaled her sweet smell and reveled in the fact that she was unharmed and alive.

Gaara watched the display of affection with a little twinge of jealousy. He was enjoying that very feeling before it was so rudely interrupted. ‘I should have guessed he was the one she was ‘involved’ with.’

The fact that Naruto was relieved to find her didn’t get her out of the fact that she was in big trouble and he wasn’t about to let her forget it.

Kagome had just relaxed into him when he grabbed her shoulders and held her at arms length with a slight glare. “What’s wrong?”

“What’s wrong? What’s Wrong you ask? How about you just suddenly take off with out a word and steal yourself a Kazekage in the process!” He scolded. “Not to mention worry me out of my mind.” He gave her one more quick hug for good measure.

“I’m sorry Naruto I didn’t mean to I just... Wait a second did you say Kazekage?” She said looking to where Gaara sat. He stared back into her eyes emotionlessly, waiting for her reaction.

“Yeah,” Naruto continued. “You didn’t know Gaara was the Kage of the Hidden Sand Village?”

“No.” She said with her mouth slightly agape. Only one thing was going through her mind. ‘I fought a Kage?..... Am I Fricken Crazy!’

“Heh, didn’t take you for the modest one Gaara.” Naruto teased, back to his usual demeanor.
He walked back over to Temari and slapped her on the back. “Snap out of it. She’s not gonna bite ya. Now what smells so good?”

Kagome snapped out of her daze and smiled at his antics. “Well I was cooking some rabbits, but I’m afraid I don’t have enough to feed everyone with just that, so I’ll just have to dig out something from my pack.”

They all seated themselves around the fire and enjoyed a meal of Rabbit and the few rice cakes Kagome had left over in her supplies. Kagome was a little uncomfortable with the way Temari was staring at her the entire time and after she had finished eating she just couldn’t take it anymore. She leaned her head towards Temari with a sigh. “Go ahead and touch them. I know you want to.”

“Heh,” She reached up and tweaked the fuzzy appendage. “I’m that obvious huh?”

“Yeah, but don’t feel bad. It happens a lot when it comes to cute fuzzy ears.” She laughed a little to herself as she thought back to how her and her mom reacted to Inuyasha’s ears. “Well, Now that that’s out of the way, why don’t you two tell us why you followed us.”

“Well for one thing, you’ve been labeled a missing nin and if I don’t get you back soon they’ll send hunters after you. You can’t just go runnin off without permission. Especially with Or... well you know why. Your lucky we found you.”

“Missing nin, hunters? What are you talking about?” She asked a little confused.

Temari answered her. “ If a Ninja runs away they are labeled a missing nin and are usually tracked down and killed by hunter ninja to keep the secrets of their village just that, secrets.”

“Yeah, only with you it’s a little more than that Kagome.” Naruto added. “If he were to catch you who knows what could happen. He wouldn’t have went through all that trouble if you weren’t important to some evil plot he’s come up with.”

“Who’s he?” Temari asked.

“I’d rather not talk about it.” Kagome dodged.

“Whatever, but I’m here for a different reason.” She said with a pointed look to Gaara. “You can’t just take off without telling anyone. Your our leader and you just disappeared.”

“I left word with Genku. Did the incompetent fool not tell you?” Gaara asked.

“The incompetent fool, as you put it, is dead. Murdered to be exact.” She stated.

“Murdered?! How awful.” Kagome said. She may not have like the guy all that much, but he was helping her and she didn’t like to here that anyone was murdered. “Hold on a second. If he’s dead then who is gonna help me now?” She flustered over that little fact.

“Don’t worry.” Naruto tried to sooth. “I’m sure there is someone else out there that can help.”

“I guess your right.” she tried to assure herself.

Gaara spoke up again. “Do you have any leads?”

“I’m not sure. I’ve been gone looking for you, but I’m guessing it has to do with what ever he sent you out here for or in the very least the fact that he was helping Kagome.” Temari turned to Naruto. “So now that you know “he” may have something to do with it do you mind sharing who it is that’s after Kagome?”

Naruto thought it over for a moment. “I guess if it helps.... The man after Kagome is Orochimaru.”

“I’m guessing he is the one that gave her, her curse mark then?” Gaara asked.

“Yeah, unfortunately.” Naruto answered.

“Well all the more reason for me to get that scroll. Obviously someone’s trying to stop me from getting it.” Kagome concluded.

“I agree.”

“Thank you Gaara.”

“Well I don’t.” Naruto crossed his arms and Temari agreed.

“What, why not?” Kagome whined.

“We are getting you back to the village before people are sent to Kill You. Get it?” Naruto emphasized the kill you part of the statement to try and get his message across loud and clear.

“Yeah and Gaara,” added Temari. “ you need to get back to Suna before Kankuro stabs someone. You know how much he hates doing your paperwork.”

“Well Gaara can go if he wants, but I’m finishing this mission. I will get that scroll.” Kagome stated firmly.

“I will see this through to completion as well.” Gaara left no room in his tone for argument.

“Well I’m not about to let you go running off again.” Naruto said stubbornly.

To stop the bickering, that was quickly becoming annoying to him, Gaara came up with a solution. In the authoritative command that his position held he said, “Temari you will return to Suna and dispatch a messenger to Konoha with word of Kagome being found and that she will be returned shortly. This should give us enough time to complete our mission. My brother will just have to accept his temporary fate. And Naruto, since you obviously won’t leave Kagome again you may accompany us if you wish.”

“Damn strait.”

Kagome clapped her hands together with a smile as Temari sighed in the background. “Great now everyone is happy.” She pondered for a minute. “Except maybe your brother, but I’m sure a little paperwork won’t hurt him.” She moved to her pack. “Now everyone should get some rest. I intend to get an early start tomorrow.”

Naruto groaned. “Yay an early start.” He said sarcastically as he moved to lay on his side. “I ran for about two days strait to find you ya know.”

Gaara smirked almost imperceptibly. “And yet you still have the energy to complain. Miraculous.”

Naruto growled in mock anger, “Watch it ginger, I kicked your butt before. I can do it again.”

Gaara stood up. “As I recall it was a draw.”

Naruto got up and stood in his face. “Oh really? You wanna take this outside.”

Kagome was horrified that they might fight and she jumped in between the two putting a hand on each man’s chest. “Come on now guys. There’s no need to fight.”

The two look at one another across the half demoness with a twinkle of amusement in their eyes while their faces betrayed nothing. Naruto was the first to back down. “Feh, It’s not worth my time anyways.” Naruto settled himself back down into a resting position.

Gaara took his seat again. “My thoughts exactly.”

Kagome sweat dropped. “Heh, ok then. Well good night everyone.” Not wanting to try her luck in questioning what all that was about she decided it best to just turn in. Soon everyone was following suit with their respective firm of “rest”.

Later that night Naruto watched through slitted eyes as Gaara walked through the cave entrance. He sat up and gave a quick check to make sure the two girls were really sleeping before casually following after him. Naruto stepped out into the chilly winter night and found the red head staring off into the dark forest. He walked to stand beside him, their frosted breath rising in small wisps around them. “You need to set boundaries if he is going to be traveling with us.” ‘Let me handle this. I don’t like how we walked in on them either, but Kagome and Gaara are both special cases.’ “Yes, the vixens bleeding heart could stir up more problems of the like, but this is an opposing male. Friend or not he is competition and if you don’t assert your claim and dominance now he could move in on what is ours.” Naruto mentally sighed. He would have to have a very in depth conversation with the fox on just how he felt for Kagome, but for now... ‘Just let me handle this. He won’t be a problem.’

Naruto was just about to break the ice when Gaara beat him to the punch. “You have quite the Kunoichi Naruto.” Gaara glanced out of the corner of his eye and then turned his focus away again.

“Oh?” Naruto smirked, but was unsure rather he liked that comment from him or not.

Gaara stood for a moment more in silence before finally telling Naruto exactly what he meant by that. “Her mere physical existence is perplexing, but to add her odd personality to the mold... One can only be drawn to such an interesting woman.”

Naruto frowned slightly as Gaara turned to face him, but the blonds eyes held an unspoken challenge.

Gaara didn’t miss the signals coming from his long time, all be it awkward, comrade. The possessive nature Naruto held for the girl was definitely more than a passing affair. ‘Shame, I should have liked to give the whole... courting experience, a try.’ Gaara turned away from him again, having got what he needed from his scrutiny. “Relax Uzumaki, I am no threat to your obvious affection for the girl.”

The tension eased out of Naruto’s body and he went back to wilderness gazing as well. I’m glad to hear it.

“I will say one thing though. You will have your hands full with that one.”

Naruto laughed jovially, but quietly enough not to wake the sleeping women. “You have no idea.” Now in a much lighter mood he looked at Gaara in teasing suspicion. “Speaking of which, just how did my vixen end up snagging the “Icy Kazekage” in a snuggly hug?”

Gaara turned to walk back into the cave with a small smile that Naruto couldn’t see. “I’m sure I don’t know what you are talking about.”

Naruto crossed his arms. “Uh huh,” He said skeptically. “....She does have that effect doesn’t she?” The question went unanswered, but Naruto wasn’t done with him yet. “Wait.”

Gaara paused and turned back expectantly.

“I wanted to ask you... what happened on the night of the new moon?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVX: I am glad to say I have college registration and financial aid out of the way so I should be able to focus more on my story and update a lot. I have a lot of it figured out in my noodle already because I haven’t written enough recently. Meaning it should go pretty smoothly with minimal writers block. Well I hoped you liked this chapter. And as a little spoiler for next chapter... it’s fluff time! YAY ^_^ hehehe... I think I’m anticipating it about as much as you are. Until next time... ^_~