InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ Dubious Trap... Village of Death ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
~ Ch. 22 - Dubious Trap... Village of Death~

Naruto and Kagome made there way back to camp after a more controlled repeat of their little performance. Much to Naruto’s and Kyuubi’s relief, after sating Kagome’s need, her scent seemed to be diluting back to almost normal. Naruto followed behind her and smiled fondly when she looked back at him. She giggled softly and looked back in front of her. They were already approaching where Gaara was awaiting them and in Naruto’s mind it came far to quickly. As they entered back into the hide out they both blushed lightly meeting the Kazekage’s questioning gaze.

Gaara was relieved that Kagome’s scent had subsided and didn’t bring Shukaku forth again, but the blush both gave caused him to quirk a brow. When they both looked away from each other and blushed harder he had a good idea why her scent had changed again. Regardless of how much amusement could be had from torturing them on the matter, they had a mission to finish and he was tired of waiting. He chose to get strait to the point. “Now that your finished.... working things out, I have thought of a new strategy.” The two obviously grew anxious at his pause, but he had to have at least that much fun with them. “We should stay in one unit seeing as how Orochimaru’s men came looking for us and now that we have been discovered speed is of the utmost importance. We are leaving now to search the area as a group.” He left their secluded hollow and expected them to follow right after.

Naruto and Kagome looked at each other and shrugged. He was obviously right and they had no objections, so they left as well. Kagome went to walk beside Gaara, but as soon as they exited their ‘base’ he took to the trees at a fast pace, so she was forced to catch up before she could ask him her question. “Gaara?”

He looked to his side and appraise her. “Your endowments.” He stated looking away again.

“Huh?” She looked herself over as well. “Oh! Right.” She hid her ears and wrapped her tail around her stomach. That done, Gaara nodded for her to continue with her question. “Have you thought about what we’re going to do when we find this place? Are we going to just bust in or try and negociate?”

“I have thought this through and regardless of my own station, neither of our countries are on good terms with this one. I very much doubt they would have a sit down with us.”

Naruto came up on the other side of Gaara then. “Good. I prefer the direct butt kicking approach anyways.” He pounded a fist into his had with a smirk to emphasize.

“We are going to use stealth and attempt to take the scroll with as little confrontation as possible.” Gaara said sending Naruto a pointed look.

“What? Of all the people I know you like confrontation even more than me... scarily so.” Naruto said in shock.

“Time is of the essence for more than one reason.” He replied.

“He’s right Naruto. Fighting an entire village would be time consuming not to mention dangerous. What with the hunters and Orochimaru’s guys...”

“I know I know,” he waved his hand cutting her off. “It’s just weird is all.” He said eyeing Gaara suspiciously. Gaara glared at him for a second and he gave up on his own gaze.

The group covered a lot of ground that day and by late afternoon they found themselves entering a valley with high jagged rock faces on either side. There wasn’t much cover at the bottom where they were so they stuck close to the rocks. Naruto had caught the faint scent of smoke on the wind and was sure this was the direction it came from. After coming around a bend in the narrow valley they saw it. High up on the mountain side, as if it were built into the rocks, there were many buildings. Some on lone rock shelfs while others congregated on larger cliffs. It was now that the smell assaulted their noses with the shifting of the wind.

Kagome covered her nose with her bandaged arm and scowled. “What is that horrible stench.” She whispered to Naruto.

While the smell bothered the men they were prepared. They had smelled this before. Naruto looked from the small streams of smoke coming from the cliff side village and frowned at Kagome. “It’s the smell of burning flesh. Human flesh.”

Kagome’s eyes widened and she looked back to the village horrified. “You don’t think that they did this do you?”

“Who else.” Naruto whispered back.

“That’s awful.” she whined.

“Awful?” Gaara questioned.

“Yeah, they killed them just because we were coming here.” She stated sadly.

Gaara looked at her with a stoic gaze. “Were we not just planning to infiltrate and possibly fight with this village? How would it be any different?”

“Well,” Kagome tripped over her own words for a moment. “I didn’t think we’d...”

“What? Kill anyone? Don’t be naive.” Kagome flinched at his words as he turned back to the sight above. “But I agree with you.”

“Huh....” Kagome stared at him dumbly.

“Did anyone ever tell you you’re the most confusing person I’ve ever met Gaara.” Naruto sighed.

“Look at the buildings.” They complied with him. “What don’t you see.”

Kagome answered with realization. “Anyone.”

“Exactly. Where are the mourning loved ones. Children.... elderly. They have probably killed everyone, not just the defending ninja.” He stated. “It is atrocious .”

“So what’s the plan?” Asked Naruto. “Their probably waiting for us up there.”

“I’d say we just go up there and confront them.” Said Kagome.

“It seems like we don’t have much of an option. If we don’t go to them they will only come to us. If we go up there now there is still a chance the scroll is there.”

They nodded in agreement and stealthily made their way up the rock face. They had yet to see anyone, villager or guard, as they reached the lowest of the larger cliffs. What met their sight made even Gaara sneer at the deplorable acts committed. Men, women, the elderly and children were cut down in the street. Every so often a small pile was set on fire.

Naruto shook his head. “They didn’t set them on fire to cremate them. They did it to lure us here easier.”

Kagome was ready to cry. Here was yet another village left desolated to the very last life because of her. ‘If I hadn’t come looking for it then they might have been spared.’ she had been used to this sight from the feudal era, but it effected her the same every time... more guilt and self loathing. The only difference between then and now was she had not expected to see this kind of sight again after defeating Naraku and coming here. It caught her of guard and it took all of her strength to hold back her tears. “I’m so sorry.” She whispered to no one in particular as she passed the body of a small little boy with a toy wooden kunai still in hand. The poor thing was laying twisted and bloody on the ground.

Naruto came up beside her and wrapped his arm around her. “Don’t blame yourself Kagome, this is all Orochimaru’s fault.” Suddenly a sinister laughter came from the darkened cave ahead of them. Naruto dropped his arm from Kagome’s shoulder and stepped in front of her as she hissed in pain and grabbed her thigh. “I know that voice.” He growled.

The three heard a slow clapping as the enemy stepped out from the shadows. “Nice try Naruto... But she is quite right to feel shamed.” He smirked at her as she peeked around Naruto’s shoulder. “If it weren’t for you my dear, all these poor people would still be alive.” He mock pouted. “Your mere existence caused their deaths.”

“Don’t you listen to him Kagome. He’s just trying to get to you.” He turned his attention to Orochimaru and pointed at him accusingly. “It was you who killed all these people and we wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for you putting the curse mark on her!”

Orochimaru tilted his head and smiled. “Now why ever would you be here because I cursed the demon?”

Gaara finally spoke up. “Don’t play dumb. You obviously know about the scroll.” He said glaring at him intensely.

“Scroll.” He said blinking as if momentarily confused. “ Ah yes. The scroll... There never was a one.” He smiled devilishly. “I had Genku make up the whole silly thing.” He waved his hand dismissively. “The plan worked rather well don’t you think. I now even have the pleasure of killing a Kage as a bonus. Isn’t that right Kabuto?”

Kabuto stepped out to stand beside him, glasses flashing slightly as he passed into the light. “I must agree Lord Orochimaru.”

Gaara’s sand had been leaking into the rock around them and he now had a generous amount swirling around him in his anger. “And what makes you think you can defeat me?” He all but growled out.

“Oh I’m not doing anything,” Orochimaru said innocently, but then his voice turned back to his evil demeanor. “They are.” The three ninja from before seemed to melt away from the rocks and come to stand in front of their master.

“You guys again!” Shouted Naruto. “Why don’t you go back to the hole you crawled from.”

“Yeah ya Jerks!” Kagome added overcoming her fear from looking in the eyes of Orochimaru. His gaze had reminded her to much of the malice filled one of Naraku’s. Remembering what happened last time she would not wait until her friends were beyond help before putting her all in. She stepped out from behind Naruto and put on her best battle face.

“My my, quite the fight you have in you. How much fun I will have breaking you of it.” Orochimaru said almost giddily. “Now Tsukiko!”

Suddenly a shadow sped across the ground toward Kagome who had stepped away from Naruto. It stopped right before it reached her feat and a child jumped out from it’s darkness, wisps of the shadows swirling around her like smoke. With one swift motion the little girl stabbed Kagome in the gut with a round object. To Kagome time seemed to slow to a stand still as Tsukiko held the device to her and it pierced her skin. Her golden cat like eyes locked with Kagome’s blue-green ones and she thought she saw apology there. Black hair framed her deathly pale face and faint purple scales grace her hairline, arms and neck. Kagome’s world was suddenly kicked back into real time as the child slid back into the shadow and an immense pain shot through her whole body.

“Kagome!” Naruto yelled and he ran to catch her just before she collapsed. He looked down to th device and shook his head. “How?” He turned hateful eyes back to Orochimaru. “Where did you get this? Take it off her NOW!”

“Tsk tsk, You should know where I got that from. I know you had a run in with it before. The snow ninja that were left have been very helpful to my cause.”

“What is that thing?” Gaara asked hurriedly as he came to stand guard over the two.

“It’s a device that drains and contains your chakra so you can never use it again.” Kagome groaned as she tried to flare her energy against it and it seemingly shocked her. “Hold on Kagome.” He said tenderly. “ I’ll get you out of this. I’ve broken one before I can do it again.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure of myself boy.” Kabuto spoke up. “You see we had this one made especially for demon chakra and only Lord Orochimaru may remove it at will.”

“You bastards.” Naruto growled as his eyes began to turn red and his whisker marks became jagged. “You won’t get away with this!” Naruto charged at the group in a fury.

“Naruto!” Kagome managed to say trying to stop him as she sunk to her knees.

The blond lady obviously dubbed “speak no evil” stepped in front of the rest of them and pulled the Sound Village band down from her mouth and grinned manically. Then she opened her mouth wide and screamed. The sound vibrations hit Naruto like a ton of bricks and sent him flying in the opposite direction. He caught him self just before he flew over the side of the cliff and pulled himself up. He saw Kagome running to him and moving her mouth but all he could hear was ringing. He stood up shakily, but quickly regained his balance and ran with Kagome back to Gaara’s side.

Gaara had launched his own attack after Naruto was hit. He was attempting to use his sand to ensnare the ‘blind’ man, but no matter how fast his sand moved this “see no evil” seemed to dodge every time. “Hold still so I can kill you!” He shouted angrily.

Kagome jumped beside him just as hear no evil pulled out a round flute of some type. As he blew all three of our favorite ninja hit there knees and covered their ears. Naruto gaining his hearing back just in time to be tortured by it’s sound. The little Tsukiko seemingly fell out of the shadows and convulsed in pain and Gaara’s sand swirled around him sporadicaly. Kagome screamed and Naruto grit his teeth.

Orochimaru walked forward to stand in front of the three listening to the, what seemed to him, sweet harmonious sound of music. “I’m sorry. Do you not enjoy Hear no Evil’s music.” He laughed. “Oh yes, that’s right. To anyone with demon chakra it is excruciating to hear. Oh well,” he shrugged. “I guess I win.” He knelt down and slammed a device like Kagome’s into Naruto’s stomach and motioned for Kabuto to do the same to Gaara.

But as Kabuto reached through the sand cloud to Gaara’s abdomen the Kazekage screamed gruffly and the sand found a moments direction and sliced into Kabuto’s arm to the bone. Gaara Slumped as Kabuto pulled back his bloodied appendage. “Here,” He tossed the device to Speak no Evil. “You do it.” He stepped back as his arm already began to heal.

The sound Kunoichi walked calmly up to the swirling vortex of sand and opened her mouth, releasing another scream of an attack. The sand was blown away momentarily and Gaara was knocked onto his back. She quickly placed the object against him. The sand that was striking back like knives scattered softly in the wind just before it hit her and floated to the ground around them.

Tsukiko whined pathetically on the ground as she to felt the affects of the instrument. “Please...” she sobbed. “ Lord Orochimaru... please, it hurts.”

Orochimaru barely acknowledged her as he continued his taunting of the three before him. “And to think you’ve caused me so much trouble in the past.” He said shaking his head at Naruto. He then looked at Gaara and frowned. “And your little failure at the leaf cost me dearly.”

Kagome watched through pain hazed eyes as Orochimaru pulled a kunai out and stalked to the Kazekage. Gaara was trying to stand up, but it was all he could do just to crouch on his feet after getting off his back. Both him and Naruto crackled with the shock of the devices as even through their pain they tried to break the seals. She watched as Orochimaru was about to end Gaara’s life with the single strike of a blade and suddenly the pain disappeared. All sound and feeling, save the pulsing of her curse mark, left her as the desire to save her friends flooded her. “No!” She cried as the kunai made it’s way toward Gaara’s chest and Orochimaru was thrown back ten feet in a blinding flash of light.

The sound ninja ran to their masters aid as he stood up woozily. The air pressure around them dropped and the bright light emanating from the half fox demon girl slowly faded. She had her hand extended toward where Orochimaru had been thrown from and was breathing heavily. The music had stopped by the surprise of the players lord being attacked giving the boys’ heads cleared from the pain and they looked over to their female companion. Kagome’s curse mark had spread across her whole body and the black lines were growing larger. She doubled over in pain as the marks touched and her skin became entirely grey colored. With that swirls of red and pink energy whipped around her body and the device on her stomach crack. Her clothes frayed around the edges and her bandages and head band ripped and fell away from her.

“Impossible...” Orochimaru said as Kagome was seemingly coming into stage two of the curse mark without the process it takes to get there and all in the area were mesmerize by the transformation. Forgetting about the life or death fight momentarily.

A scream tore through Kagome as her tail unwrapped its self and split from the tip two make two separate, independently moving appendages. Both were twice as long as the original had been. Her claws lengthened and her ears grew long and jagged looking. The fury of the chakra storm around her died down to an unnatural wind and she stood, seemingly no longer in pain. She ripped the snow ninja contraption off of her and stood stationary for a moment as her hair rippled around her. The strands shimmering between black and white. When she finally looked up to Orochimaru her eyes were pure white. She took a step towards him with a stoic and blank face. As her foot touched the ground it blackened as if scorched by her touch, but in reverse to her previous use of the curse mark, as her foot left the ground a small patch of vegetation was left in her wake.

As she picked up speed everyone seemed to come back to their senses and the fight began again. The sound ninja three all activated their own curse marks and attacked her. Just as Hear no Evil was about to play she flicked a seed into one of his instruments holes and it burst forth a rush of foliage that snapped the flute in it’s owners hands. Naruto took the opportunity to tackle the man in his state of surprise. Next the blond woman opened her mouth to scream, but before anything could come out Kagome flicked her wrist toward her and calmly stated “Poison Ivy.” The same purple spiked vine that had been used against Gaara flew into the sound nin’s face and wrapped around her head. The piercing of the poisonous thorns working instantaneously, effectively shutting her up.

Before Speak no Evil even hit the ground See no Evil was on her. He managed to slice her arm, but as soon as the blade slit the skin it mended together in a zipper like fashion. Kagome looked down at her arm and her brow lowered in anger. The man stumbled back a step at the aura he saw coming from her. Her hands glowed hot white and she grabbed the spot on his neck where his curse mark emanate from. See no Evil went limp in her hand and his curse mark receded back in on itself and went inactive. The man collapsed as she pulled her hand away. She looked to her right at the little shadow girl and without hesitation the girl jumped back into her shadows to hide in fear. When she started to walk toward Orochimaru a few areas of her skin seemed to fake away and rise lighter than air before drifting off on the wind.

Orochimaru’s face turned from disbelief to glee and again he laughed. “How marvelous! It’s even better than I hoped for.” Kabuto stepped in front of him then.

No matter to Kagome though. It didn’t matter how many she had to go through she would get to Orochimaru. Kabuto raised a kunai to the ready and began to charge her. Without moving, a rush of vines grew swiftly from her pockets and slammed into him. Kabuto only had enough time to clear his head before the vines encircled him and through him against the rock face. Unbelievably he made to stand again, but before kagome attacked him this time Gaara stepped between them.

“Let me handle this one.” With a nod from Kagome Gaara ran to the attack. Grabbing one of Kabuto’s own kunai before stabbing at him.

Kabuto managed to avoid a fatale blow, but none the less, he was out of her way. The only thing left was Orochimaru now and she would smite him into nothingness, but as she took a step forward she stumbled a bit. More of her skin seemed to flake away and be lifted on the wind. Using this stage of the curse mark had tapped into the jewel and amplified both her demon and holy powers. The two opposing forces were at war in her body and though they were giving her immense strength they were also tearing her apart.

Kagome shook her head to clear her blurring vision and lunged at him with her claws. He dodged and summoned one of his snakes to attack her, but she was prepared. “Deadly Nightshade!” Her vicious plant lunged at the serpent and the two minions battled off to the side.

Orochimaru smirked at her as she began to sway on her feet. “What’s the matter my dear? Growing tired?” He laughed and spewed up a sword.

“Don’t worry.” She growled as the white began to recede from her eyes slowly. “I have more than enough strength to defeat you.” A vine wrapped around her arm and sprouted a blue flower in her palm. She quickly plucked and threw the razor sharp petals making him block while she came within striking range.

He managed to block her deadly claws with his sword, gouging out a nice wound in Kagome’s hand, only this time it didn’t heal right back together. Orochimaru smirked and straitened his back. “It seems your powers are fading my pet.” She swayed on her feet and he struck. His blade pierced through her shoulder and pinned her to the rock wall behind her.

Now she smirked and before he could get away she swept at his hand with her claws. Three fingers fell to the floor with half of his right hand. He screamed in pain and rage and she breathed heavily, but kept smirking. “I... heard the story...” She said in between pants. “About the third... Thought I’d.... pay tribute.” The curse mark failed at that moment and all the power she had been drawing from the jewel was sucked back into it, leaving her broken and exhausted. Everywhere her skin had flaked away became sores that began to bleed and she went limp against the sword impaling her to the wall.

“You Bitch!” Orochimaru screamed as he slapped her face with his remaining good hand. Her face turned to the side with the hit and then rolled back to the front where her head lay bowed. His scowl turned to a maniacal grin again and he jerked the sword from her shoulder. She fell to the ground with a thud and he drug her by her hair. He stopped and lifted her head up so she could see her friends fighting against skilled ninja without the use of their chakra. Gaara was having an especially difficult time without the use of his sand.

Kagome’s vision wasn’t the best in her weak condition, but she could see they were beginning to struggle now that See no Evil had come to again.

Orochimaru leaned down and licked her cheek with his forked tongue. “Now my pet, you will watch your friends die. He motioned something with his good hand she couldn’t see, but she didn’t need to see it to know what he had done. Low level sound ninja headed by none other then Sasuke swarmed in to surround them.

“No...”

The boys came back to back prepared to fight to their last breath. The ones they were fighting stepped back to the crowd to catch their breath and let others take over for a minute. Naruto spared a glance in Kagome’s direction and saw Orochimaru leaning over her battered form. “Kagome!”

At his shout Gaara turned to see her as well. Shock evident in his eyes. With the power she had been exhibiting he didn’t think it possible for her to be brought down. “We have to retrieve her.” He stated urgently. “If he takes her there will be catastrophic events I’m sure.”

“I want to get her just as much as you, but we’re gonna have to get past all these guys first.” Naruto growled in anger and fear for the safety of his love.

“And with out our chakra the odds are against us.” Gaara added.

Sasuke stepped forward and addressed Naruto. “What’s the matter? Not scared are you?” He asked mockingly.

“Sasuke.” He growled out and struck at him.

Kagome watched as Naruto exchanged blows with Sasuke and the other ninja closed in around them both. Orochimaru still had a tight grip on her hair so she was forced to watch. “Naruto...” She started to cry. Not for help, but because she was worried for his safety regardless of her own.

Naruto heard her however and thought that she was just scared so he tried to calm her. In between exchange of blows he spoke to her with as determined a voice as he could muster. “Don’t worry Kagome!” He blocked a kunai. “I’ll get you out of this.” Block, throw, swipe. “Believe it.” Block swipe. “Everything’s gonna be ok. I promise.” Duck, dodge, throw. “These guys are nothing!” He emphasized nothing when he looked into Sauske’s eyes.

Kagome saw the truth though. They were out numbered and had no powers. They were all going to die if they stayed. Her voice found strength again and she called out to them. “Run! Run away and save yourselves.”

“What are you talking about!” Naruto yelled at her. “We are Not leaving you behind!”

Gaara was fighting off a few lower level ninja and he too protested. “I don’t see your request as an option.”

“You have to! You’ll die if you stay!” She pleaded with him. She heard Orochimaru laugh at her attempt to save her friends, but she ignored him. She had to try.

“Don’t talk like that Kagome! I love you and I am Not gonna leave you in the hands of that disgusting excuse for a ninja.” He nearly got his head taken off by a huge shurikken while talking to her.

She heard the conviction in his voice and knew. She just knew that no matter what, if there was a chance to save her he wouldn’t give up. Looking down at her scared arms her mind cleared an she knew what she had to do... ‘It’s the only way. I just hope Gaara has the brains to pull Naruto away if he wont leave on his own.’ Orochimaru had gave some slack on her hair and she leaned over to touch the gassy area from where she stepped under the curse marks influence. She pulled on the very last of her strength. Dangerously close to all of her chakra, but she wasn’t worried about that right now.

Vine like plants shot forth from all the footstep marks she had taken and wrapped around the enemies, including Sasuke and Orochimaru. Everyone was stunned and looked to the fox girl as they struggled against their confines. Sweat was poring down Kagome’s brow as she struggled to maintain her plants. “Go...” She gasped out. “Go now before I run out of chakra.” Naruto and Gaara started to run towards her instead of leave. She would have gladly joined them, but for one thing Orochimaru still had a hold of her and for another the minute she let lose of her grip on the plants the others would be set free. If that happened they’d have seconds to get away. No way they would have time to get her, let alone carry her and outrun all of these ninja. She reached down and pulled a kunai from her leg strap.

Orochimaru laughed as he began to break through his bindings along with several others. “You still think you can beat me?” He broke free completely and fisted her hair painfully.

“No.” She stated simply. “But I won’t let you win either. For once I will save those I care for.” She turned her face back to Naruto who had been held back by the few ninja that broke free. She looked into his eyes sadly. “I love you!” She raised the kunai high in her hand and plunged it into her chest.

Naruto lost the ability to breath for a moment when he saw this and felt his heart hit the floor. “KAGOME NO!”

Gaara too was floored by her lack of self preservation to save them and actually felt panicked at the site. He’d never felt so helpless before.

Kagome winced in pain as Orochimaru screamed at her in anger. She could barely breath, but she managed an airy. “Run you fool.” She held the kunai firm and pulled it down with her demon strength, tearing through bone and cartilage with sick cracking, popping noises. Orochimaru yanked the weapon from her hand, but it was to late. The damage was done and her body, demon powers or no, was to drained to heal her. She fell to her side on the ground and watched through fading vision as Gaara came to his senses and tried to drag Naruto away. Naruto fighting him all they way while reaching for her. ‘Please.... you have to live....’ And she faded into the welcoming darkness.

Orochimaru was screaming for Kabuto as Gaara pulled Naruto who fought against him. “We have to Leave!” Gaara yelled at him.

“No. I can’t leave her!” He struggled and reach toward her even though she was a good distance away.

“It’s to late for her. Don’t let her sacrifice be in vain!” He yanked him again, but just as he did a powerful wave of energy smashed through the area from where Kagome lay. Everyone was thrown to the ground and the devices on Gaara and Naruto’s stomach broke. Before anyone had time to regroup the Kazekage ripped off the damnable contraption and incased himself and Naruto in sand. The sand seemed to blow away in the wind, leaving no trace of the two jinchuuriki.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IVX: Don’t hurt me. ;;;cowers in corner;;; It’s not over yet. Not even close... ^_~