InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ And Then There Was Darkness ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
~ Ch. 24 - And Then There Was Darkness ~


Darkness slowly faded into a haze of green lights and tubes. Someone was standing over her doing something, but she couldn’t tell what. Kagome had been fading in and out of consciousness. Everything seemed to blur together and she had no way of telling how long she lay in that room, connected to all those tubes. This time round in waking, she had enough strength to lift her head and look down at her body. The effort made her head swim, but she caught a glimpse of some kind of seal on her chest and many wires and tubes connected to her body in various places. The man with glasses standing above her picked up a syringe and injected it into one of the IVs. The darkness claimed her vision again and she went back into a dreamless sleep.

In what seemed like the blink of an eye, she was having water splashed in her face and being chained to a wall. She seemed to be laying on a very thin futon which did little to protect her sore body from the cold, hard ground.

“Come on now,” said a mans voice. “Time to wake up and see your new home.”

Kagome looked in the direction of her “splasher” and saw the same man with glasses from before. “Where...where am I?”

“Why, in Lord Orochimaru’s lair of course. Now wake up so I can inspect you. Have to make sure your in good condition before I leave you here. Wouldn’t want all that hard work to go to waste now would I?” He shined a bright light in each of her eyes, took her pulse, and did other routine tests to check her health. “You very nearly died you know.” He said in a reprimanding tone as he continued his inspection on the exhausted and disoriented female. “Lord Orochimaru would have been very displeased with me if I didn’t save you. You are to precious a thing to let die... for now anyways.” He pulled out a syringe to give her a shot and even though she tried to pull away she didn’t have enough energy to escape his grip. “This is just going to help you relax and be a good girl for us.” He sad as he sunk the needle into her flesh. He finished up by re-securing the bandage on her chest and then made to leave.

She followed his movements with her eyes and noticed he left through a heavy metal door. The minute the familiar man left she relaxed and closed her tired eyes. ‘How did I get here... she tried to remember, but it was all hazy. ‘There was Gaara and Naruto.... three weird people.... then...’

“Then you made a complete mess of everything.”

Kagome’s eyes shot back open at the familiar voices. “That’s impossible. I haven’t been able to here you for months!” She saw a guard open a slot in the barred window of the door to check in on her and then shut it after he was satisfied that nothing was amiss.

“So quick to dismiss? We were not gone, only silenced. We know all you have done since the last time we spoke.”

Kagome closed her eye’s and groaned. ‘Then you tell me how I got here if you know all.’ She remarked in a smartalecky tone.

“You are a complete failure as a guardian, that is how you got here. Are you having trouble remembering? Let us help you relive your shame...”

The images of the day of her attempted suicide flashed through her mind. It wasn’t like watching a movie. It was more like all of a sudden knowing something that you didn’t before. Tears welled up in her eyes and a weak hand raised to her neck. The realization of all that had happened hit home when she found the mark that was now healed. “Did Naruto and Gaara...”

“What does it matter. You are an unworthy guardian. Your most important mission in life was to keep us out of danger, but you even failed at that. You delivered us into the hands of our enemy.”

Kagome rolled toward the wall being mindful of the shackles and chains attached to her. She sighed. ‘It figures you come back to torture me at the very worst possible time.’

“Hush your mouth, insolent kit. You failed because you were to preoccupied with a certain demon and his vessel.”

Kagome lost the care to feel guilty at the moment. She was so damn tired... “Yeah yeah, I’m an unclean and unworthy whore who talks to voices in her head....” She said sarcastically.

The guard on the other side of the door raised an eyebrow to this, but thought it best not to disturb the mentally insane.

‘How can I hear you now? And, for that matter, why couldn’t I hear you before?’ She was struggling to stay awake now.

“The curse mark you walked into was storing our power for its master and cut off our communication as a side effect. Your drain on our power opened the possibility for communication again. You were just to shell shocked from the power surge to pay attention to our emphases on Not killing yourself.”

Kagome yawned. ‘So why did they bother saving me... why not just take the jewel from my dead body?”

“We are a part of you now... one with you. If you were to pass to the underworld, you would be doing the same as Kikio and we would be born with you yet again in your reincarnation. The jewel’s power would be out of the snakes reach then.”

‘But I thought you said my holy powers were guarding my demon blood from the jewel. How is it part of me then?’

“We are no longer a jewel of stone separate from you, but rather you are the new jewel. You are the vessel of what we are and were. Your holy blood is the only thing saving your demon side from being seduced by the power within.”

“Great. Just what I need.” She tried to make herself cozy, but gave up on the effort. ‘Your right. I failed to protect myself and so I failed to protect you. Naruto, if he’s still... alive, probably thinks I’m dead. There’s no one to help this time.’

Cynical laughter came from the voices. “All hope is not lost yet. Another guardian has been summoned to the task since you are obviously inept without...”

Kagome barely registered what the jewel said as her tired mind could only focus on one thing at a time. ‘Won’t you tell me if Naruto made it out of there alive? I have to know... please tell me he lives.’

“No, we will not say. You don’t deserve to know. It is your reckless love for the fox boy that got you here.”

Kagome couldn’t fight off the sleep anymore and her mind began to drift off yet again.

“One thing will be told to you however. Obviously protecting us is not enough motivation to keep yourself alive... so maybe the life of your unborn is.”

Kagome’s mind was panicked, but it only kept the unconsciousness at bay a moment longer and then all was dark.

* at the Hidden Leaf Village

Gaara, Sakura, and Kiba stood in their respective degrees of shock, staring at one very annoyed hanyou. Inuyasha had removed his head cover in private, at the request of Naruto, so that he could prove to the other’s he was another half demon.

“Are you like Kagome’s big brother or something?” Sakura asked him as she got closer to inspect him.

Naruto laughed and Inuyasha looked insulted. “Do I look like a fox!” He growled at her and then turned to Naruto. “Are you the only one she mentioned me to?” He asked annoyed.

“No.” Gaara spoke up. “She mentioned her past love to me as well.”

Kiba looked between the Naruto and Inuyasha. “Wait a second... your telling me you ran into her old boyfriend?”

Inuyasha blushed a little at everyone talking about his personal life. “I wasn’t her mate alright! Just leave it alone.” He grumbled.

“Yeah guys,” Sakura chimed in. “Your being insensitive. No matter his relationship with her he is still grieving with the rest of us.”
“Your right, sorry man.” Kiba apologized and Akamaru yipped in addition.

Inuyasha yipped back to Akamaru which made everyone stare. He looked around. “What.”

Gaara spoke up wanting to know exactly why he was delayed in his departure to meet a person from Kagome’s past. “Why exactly did you call us here Uzumaki?”

Naruto stopped smirking at Inuyasha’s discomfort and gained a serious look. “Strait to the point as always.” He looked at everyone. “I called all of you here for more than introductions, but before we continue on I have to know one thing.” They all looked at him in anticipation. “Who here is afraid to confront Orochimaru and his goons.”

Sakura and Kiba exchanged worried glances. “Is ths about revenge?” Sakura asked.

“As much as I want revenge, it’s much worse.”

“Well I’m not afraid.” Said Kiba. “And if you were going after him for just revenge I’d still be up to it for that alone.”

“Me too. Revenge for more than one thing.” Added Sakura, but not quite as strongly.

“What is the reason?” Asked Gaara.

“Are you sure we can trust these people.” Asked Inuyasha to Naruto non to quietly.

“Yes, these are the few people Kagome trusted with her secret.” he answered Inuyasha first and then directed his next answer to Gaara’s question. “The reason I need your help is because of a certain object Kagome was entrusted to guard.”

“What kind of object?” Asked Kiba suspiciously.

“One that could destroy the world if in the wrong hands.” Answered Naruto.

“Please tell me she didn’t have it on her when...” asked Sakura.

“I’m sorry to say so, but yes.” He said a little on the quiet side. Still not comfortable with speaking on her death. “As you all know, we couldn’t find.... her when we went back and therefore we had a ceremony rather than an actual cremation and full funeral.”

Inuyasha saw Naruto having trouble and finished for him. “And that means the bastard that killed her took her with him to get the jewel.” Even if it hurt him to talk about it as well, he could always turn to his anger for distraction.

“What are we supposed to do against someone like that, especially if he now holds some all powerful object?” Asked Kiba defiantly.

“Go kick his ass and take it back.” Inuyasha growled. “I’ll be damned if I let all my friends’ sacrifices be in vain because of one asshole.

Gaara spoke up again. “Orochimaru is no pushover. The dog trainer’s question is a valid one.”

“I can’t see how this ass hole can be any worse than the last bastard that had it.” Inuyasha turned to Naruto with a look of aggravation. “Is this what you call top warriors cause I don’t see nothin but a bunch of whiney babies.”

“Hey buddy, watch your mouth!” Kiba growled. “You’re the one asking for our help.”

Inuyasha got in his face and growled. “I don’t think I need the help of a scaredy cat like you any way.”

“Who you callin a cat ya pussy!” Kiba yelled back in his face.

“Boys, boys! Lets keep the peace for a minute here.” Sakura said trying to push them apart. They took a moment to move, but they finally humpfed and turned away. ‘And I thought Naruto and Kiba were a pain together.’

“Alright, that’s enough fighting.” Naruto said trying to get back on track. “We all need to work together. Even if it wasn’t a friend of ours, it’s still something that effects us all. With this kind of power, Orochimaru could take out any village he wanted.”

“Why don’t we go to the Hokage about this then?” Sakura asked.

“Ain’t no one finding out about the jewel that don’t need to. Where I’m from thousands died because of it. Do you want that happening here? The less that know the better.” He then looked at Gaara and pointed a clawed finger. “And I know you’re one of those village leaders, so don’t go getin it in your head about using the jewel to power your land above the others.”

Gaara sneered at him. “I have more than enough power without the help of your trinket.”

Inuyasha relaxed a bit and Naruto spoke up again. “I am only letting one other person know about this and that person already knows Kagome’s secret. Kakashi is already making arrangements to get you two together on a reconnaissance mission with him.” He said pointing at Kiba and Sakura.

“You started your plans before even asking us?” Sakura scolded.

“I know you guys. I knew what you’d say.” he smirked. Moving on he continued with the plans. “Garra, you can obviously do what you please, but I know you have a village to run. Your help would be a great advantage, but it’s up to you. What do you say?”

“Yes. I will send a runner to give the message. The Kazekage will be adding an extension onto his leave of absence.”
“Good, now all we have to do is find this Orochiwhoever and kick his ass. When do we leave?” Inuyasha asked.

“There is one more thing I need to do.” Naruto added. “I know there are intelligence files gathered from different ANBU members on the whereabouts of Orochimaru’s new hide out. These have been kept from me for obvious reasons, but we’re going to need those if we ever want to find them.”

“So your going to steal them.” Gaara stated.

“Barrow, I’m going to barrow them.” Naruto grinned. His little smirk faded when he said the next part. “Tsunade has already sent ninja to find her... body and keep Orochimaru from using her if he can. We need to find her or at least the jewel and take it back before anyone else learns about it.”

“And just how do you plan to do that?” Kiba asked. “This is the ANBU we’re talking about.”

“You just let me worry about that. It wouldn’t be the first time I got past them. Sakura, Kiba, just act normal until you get your mission in a couple of days. Oh and show Inuyasha here a good time. Gaara, you can go when ever you feel like it, but just come to me for a meeting place.”

The three seemed to have no complaints so Naruto turned to leave.

“Wait,” said Inuyasha, “what about me?”

Naruto smiled at him. “Go have a good time with Kiba and Sakura. It’s almost dark and I have a little mission of my own to get done.” And with that he walked out of the Kazekage’s hotel room.

*Orochimaru’s subject containment cell

Kagome sat with her arms wrapped around her knees as she stared out at the plain room. It was a room of grey tiles from floor to ceiling. Her futon was also grey and her blankets white. As dreadfully dreary as it was it was very clean. ‘No doubt to keep me from getting an infection.” She scoffed in her mind. Kagome’s ears lay flat against her white hair as she tilted her head and rested it on her knees. She sighed softly and closed her eyes. It wasn’t like there was much to look at anyway.

“You are still suffering the consequences of your curse mark and stupidity, but soon you will need to find a way out of here. It won’t be long before they start the experiments.”

Kagome’s ears perked up at this and she raised her head. “Experiments?”

The guard opened the little window again and she opened her eyes to glare at him with a growl. The guard quickly shut it again and she began to cough. The effort and low rumble of the growl put to much strain on her chest. After her coughing fit was over, she thought to her voices again. ‘What do you mean, experiments?’

“You don’t think a man like that snake would allow you to continue to hold all this power within you and leave none for him did you?”

‘So what you’re saying is they are going to find a way to drag it out or most likely kill me in process.’

“Now you are beginning to see.”

Kagone’s hand moved down to her stomach and her eyes began to water. If Naruto did die then this was all she had left of him. She wouldn’t let anything happen to it... to his child... the representation of their love for one another.

“If that sentimental garbage is what gives you the strength then cling to it, but just so you are aware, if to much strain is put on your body from their torturous procedures then you will lose this pregnancy.”

Kagome’s determination grew stronger. She bared her teeth and glared a hole through the door. ‘They won’t take from me ever again. I refuse to let them.’ She growled in her mind.

The voices seemed to laugh softly in the back of her mind at her statement and their satisfaction. Only one of the many voices seemed to sigh for the pain this girl had and will yet endure, but the soft whisper was overwhelmed by the others feeding on the girl’s hatred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVX: Let me just say how very sorry I am for my long leave of absence, but life got in the way as it often times dose. I don’t have a day off anymore and way to much going on that I won’t bore you with, but lets just say I’m lucky I got this chapter done. Come summer I will be down to at least three days off a week, so I’ll have plenty of time to write, but until then I can’t say how often I'll update. Believe me when I say I will try. I really love this story. Hope you enjoyed... R&R my faithful and way to awesome readers... ^_~

P.S. You guys almost broke my heart with the pleese for an update when i read them. Thanks for the faith that i hadn't left you guys... ^_^