InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing the Kitsune ❯ Chains that Bind Body and Mind ( Chapter 26 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
~ Ch. 26 - Chains that Bind Body and Mind ~

Kagome lay curled in a ball with her tail hugging her tightly and her ears plastered to her head. She was on her mat in the plain grey room, chained to the wall again. Her eyes stared off into nothingness and save for the steady raise and fall of her rib cage, one might think her dead. The calmness of this exterior was do to the exact opposite of her mind. The syphon of power had unexpected consequences. Apparently the trade off of him taking power from her body as his own was her taking memories and knowledge from his mind as her own. The things she saw left her shell shocked. She acquired new jutsu knowledge, but that plus paled in comparison to the negative of his memories. Naruto had told her this man was a bastard, but they really had no idea how truly awful he was. She had only comprehended a small bit of all the information, but what she experienced shook her to the core.

It was as if she was the one that had done those horrible things to people. Memories happen in the first person so she was at war to keep her sanity. The effect of having another’s personality forced into your mind against your will was a hard battle to fight. It took a great strength of self to hold onto who she was until the memories had time to fade. The voices of the jewel had tried to snap her out of it, but she had reverted to her more animalistic responses by growling their efforts away. This being both in her mind and out loud had scared the two guards stationed outside her door into a nervous sweat.

Suddenly her eyes widened, the first movement she had made since the snarls she emitted at the voices. A thought had occurred to her. ‘What happens the next time he does this? I don’t think I can take much... [flash of a memory: blood, lots of blood] ...more of this.’ She cringed and nearly threw up. Though it would have been more of a dry heave as the little contents of her stomach already lay next to her in a puddle from earlier situations of the like.

Finally the voices tried their luck again, lest she fall into another fit of anxiety. “This is why you must hasten the return of your strength. Your demon and human chakra is being limited by these shackles. Your inhuman strength is your only salvation.”

Blinking a couple of times to focus on the here and now, Kagome finally found the will to move. She placed a hand on the mat and pushed herself into a slouching sitting position. She sighed as she tried to find the will to fight against the chains. ‘What’s the point. If I break the chains I still have to beat up the guards, find my way out and probably’ [memory flash] she cringed and continued with her thought after she finished shivering. ‘... I’d probably have to fight my way out. You know I don’t have the skill or the strength.’ She thought about it for a moment and then her ears perked up again. ‘That is unless I tap into the jewels power again.’ Her hope soon faded. ‘But let me guess. The extra strain may kill the kit in my womb.’ She laid down again. ‘How did I always find the strength to keep positive when I was with Inuyasha? Well, up until the end that is.’

“The loss of loved ones takes it’s toll...”

Kagome was startled to hear only a single, soft feminine voice this time. She was about to ask what the heck, but her world seemed to brighten more and more until she had to close her eyes at the pure whiteness that enveloped her vision. When she dared to open them again she found herself in a never ending scenery of softly glowing pink light. The form of a woman slowly materialized in front of her. Recognition flashed in her eyes... “Midoriko!”

“Yes child. I am she, but listen closely. My time is brief and costly. You need a reason to fight and have hope again... I can give you four.”

“What do you mean four?”

Midoriko looked over her shoulder and turned back to her, grasping her hand and smiling softly at her. “My dear Kagome, you not only carry the vessel and demon’s progeny... you carry twins.”

Kagome gasped as she gained a stunned and goofy grin.

Midoriko seemed more rushed as she spoke. “You have yet more reasons to fight. Most importantly, your love lives!” Again Kagome was shocked in a good way, but the elder miko didn’t give her a moment to think on it as she tried to finish before her time was up. “The last reason is the return of your...” Suddenly a tentacle shot out of a darkened rift in the bright surroundings. It wrapped around her mouth and pulled her back through the hole and out of Kagome’s site.

The surrounding suddenly darkened to deep purple and as the thing lurking in the shadows of the rift started to emerge she was forced back into the waking world. She shot up frightened. A pulse of foreboding power surged through her once and she felt something in the back of her consciousness seize control. Jagged red vine like patterns formed on her face as her eyes turned to the familiar violet and red. Her demon blood surged through her at full strength as her rational mind faded. “The foolish miko has lost her advantage with that little stunt and you are ours now!” The corruption of the jewel flowed past the weakened holy powers of a half demon Kagome.

The guards outside the door heard a growl of a chuckle that made their hair stand on end. Suddenly the sound of breaking chain and tile filled their ears and a look of horror passed between them. As one hesitantly stepped up to the sliding panel to look in, the door exploded forward as the demon woman smashed through it. The other guard was scared motionless as the demon shook off pieces of the door while still in a crouched position. His pants darkened as he wet himself. Full demon Kagome sniffed the air and growled at the disgusting smell that offended her sensitive nose.

Red eyes turned on the still living guard in black and white garb. Finally the man screamed and stumbling, he ran away as fast as he could. She gave chase to the fleeing prey, her predatory drive not able to resist the chase. Her tail swished in glee as she ran on all fours, her small medical yukata not hiding much. She made a few turns, but skidded to a halt as she rounded one particular corner however. Before her was an entire hall of sound ninja on the offensive. Kagome let lose a bone chilling snarl and charged.
She leaped at the first in her line of sight, a trembling woman holding a pair of sais. With her clawed hands out stretched, Kagome crashed into her and tore through her chest with one quick motion. Rolling to her feet, but still in a crouched position, she growled at the rest of them. Most were a little more timid after the bloody display and backed up slightly. She would have attacked another, but the sound of clapping from up above caught her attention. Her jagged ears lay flat against her skull as she saw who it was. Even in this form, her hate for this creature was clear.

Orochimaru smirked down at her. “Sasuke, take care of this won’t you.”

“Yes Orochimaru-sama.”

Kagome leaped up the walls in a sporadic manner, digging her claws in for hold as she approached her new prey. Suddenly a grey, winged Sasuke smashed into her and sent her crashing to the floor. The cursed Sasuke slowly descended as Kagome picked herself up off of the shattered stone. His face was calm while hers was one of pure and unadulterated rage. She charged at him sloppily and he dodged, tripping her in th process. She stumbled into the wall and it only furthered her furry. Losing all of her technique in this form, turned this into a repeat of a scene from her past. Sesshoumaru easily out maneuvering an animalistic Inuyasha.

“Remember, don’t kill her yet.” Came the smarmy comment of the snake from above.

Kagome charged Sasuke again, but this time he powered his fist with chakra and slammed it into the back of her skull as he side stepped her. Kagome’s world went black...

*Hidden Leaf Village

For the second time, Inuyasha sat in front of the woman this village called their leader. She had invited him and Naruto to sit with her and drink “tea”, but one sniff told him she was poring herself something with a little more kick.

Seeing that the young men weren’t partaking in their tea, she decided to move onto the reason she called them here. “Inuyasha, as I have said before. I’m sorry for the loss of your....” They had yet to tell her his relation to Kagome and she was curious.

“Cousin, Inuyasha is Kagome’s cousin.” Naruto filled in on the spur of the moment. Inuyasha sent him a small glare, but went along with it.

The glare wasn’t lost on Tsunade, but since you don’t see two white, animal eared half demons everyday she didn’t think the glare was because of a lie. “Ok then, I am sorry for the loss of your cousin, but due to recent events, I don’t think it wise for you to linger her to long. I’m sure you understand.”

Inuyasha’s voice gained a slight growl as his volume raised slightly. “No, I don’t think I do understand. I lost my cousin to this bastard, who is a personal enemy to your village, and you want me to just walk away?!”
Tsunade’s eyebrow twitched as she tried not to lose her temper. This man had good reason to be angry, but she wasn’t about to let a repeat of Kagome’s case happen to them. “I’m sorry, but I can’t allow you to join our ranks to fight against our common enemy. Letting Kagome become a leaf shinobi was a mistake of mine, that I humbly apologize to you for. I can’t in good consciousness let another similar situation happen.”

“I don’t give a damn about your conscious wench! You’ll let me join in against the fight or else I’ll...”

“You’ll what!?” Tsunade said as she stood. Inuyasha moved to meet her motion.

Naruto sweat dropped as he tried to stop them from ripping each other’s throats out. The two short fused people didn’t mix well and Naruto was appalled to find himself the mediator. “Sit down!” That got their attention. “Both of you!” the authority in his voice startled them both into sitting before they had time to think about it. Naruto then spoke in a calmer voice as he saw them about to react badly to what just happened. “Look, Kagome’s death has affected us all badly, but we can’t go at each other like this.” He directed his attention to Tsunade with pleading eyes. “This is hard for me to talk about, but...” He bowed respectfully. “As Kagome’s husband, I humbly request the only other remaining member of her family be allowed visitor residency to help me in my time of need.” He kept his head bowed and eyes down so he didn’t have to look Tsunade in the eyes. He didn’t know what her reaction would be.

At first she had to do a double take and make sure she heard him correctly. ‘Did he just say what I think he said, but that’s impossible. I wasn’t notified of a wedding.’ “What do you mean ‘husband’, Naruto? I don’t remember seeing any paperwork alluding to a marriage between you two. I think I would have noticed.”

Inuyasha huffed and crossed his arms, “The kids tellin the truth. According to demon traditions, they are mated.” He had to keep himself from growling. “Man and wife to humans.” Just cause he didn’t hate Naruto, he was still allowed to hate that little fact.

As proof Naruto pulled his collar to the side and showed her the fang marks, still not looking at her. “This is the mark I received when we... made it official.”

Now Tsunaded sat in stunned silence. After a moment she gained back her composure. “Naruto, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

Before she could continue Naruto finally looked her in the eyes with a sad yet determined look. “And that’s how I want it to stay for everyone else. I’ve had just about all the pity I can handle and that would only make it worse.” He paused as he thought something over. “Actually, I think I’ll take you up on that extended leave of absence. I realize now, I need the break.”

Tsunade nodded. “Done. As for your request about Inuyasha, I will allow it. However, he will not be allowed to join our ranks. He will remain a civilian.”

Inuyasha scoffed. “Like I’d want to be a stupid Ninja.” Inuyasha just ignored the scowls being sent his way by the other two. ‘I’ll fight him weather or not I’m “in your ranks” anyways, hag.’

Tsunade decided to leave the comment about ninja be. “As for your arrangements I could allow you to stay in your late cousins dorm, if you so wish. Or I could find other arrangements.”

Inuyasha’s voice softened. “No, Kagome’s place will be fine.”

“That’s for the best I suppose, since Naruto’s room is right next to that one. You can pick up the key later today from the housing department.” She stood signaling the meeting was coming to an end. She bowed to them and then caught Naruto’s gaze. “I hope these arrangements help you, but if you need someone to talk to,” She said softly, “don’t hesitate.”

Naruto Caught her meaning and bowed back. “Thank you Hokage-sama.”

Tsunade still found it weird to be called that by him, but she didn’t comment as she watched them leave. She shook her head as something occurred to her. ‘Poor Naruto, he finally starts a family of his own and loses that one too.’


*Orochimaru’s subject containment cell 2

Her head hurt... really bad. That was the first thing that she realized as she came too. The second was that she was being shackled again. She opened her eyes to see the red orbs of her former team mate. He met her gaze briefly, but looked back to his work soon after. Without the corruption of the unbalanced jewel coursing threw her veins, her demon blood had calmed and she had returned to herself. She looked to what he was doing and also noticed she had been cleaned of the blood that should be on her claws.

As Sasuke finished he started to leave, but Kagome’s quiet voice stopped him. “Thank you.”

He looked back incredulously to her. “What?”

Her voice found a little more strength. “I said thank you. As much as I want to escape, I don’t want to be that mindless killer you saw...” Her hands wrapped around her belly as tears came to her eyes, but went unshed.

His eyes returned to their normal onyx. “...Your welcome.” He went to leave, but again her voice stopped him.

“This isn’t you, you know.”

He eyed her suspiciously. “And what is that supposed to mean exactly?”

“Your curse mark...” She paused as if remembering something. “ it’s strong.”
Sasuke scoffed. “And its power is now mine. Your daft if you think...”

“No.” She stopped him. “It’s strong enough to warp you. He knew that and that’s why he gave you one of the most powerful seals. Most don’t need the influence of the stronger seals as they already want to join him for power, but he knew you’d need an extra push.”

Her eyes were pleading with him to believe her, but even though a small part of him wanted to, he pushed it aside. “I chose the path I walk for the power to defeat my own demons. No one controls my actions except me.” As he was walking through the door he paused to look back at her for a second. She still looked pleadingly to him, but he shrugged her off, walking through the rest of the way and shutting the door a little rougher than necessary.

Now alone, Kagome looked down at her wrists and sighed. ‘Back to square one. Are the kits ok at least?’ The voices were back to normal. “Yes insolent welp.” Kagome sighed in relief.

After she had a bit to think on it Kagome realized talking to Midoriko alone probably took quite a bit of power on her soul’s behalf. It must have cause the jewel’s resident demon auras to gain the advantage in their never ending battle and thus corrupting the jewel for a short while. If it worked the other way around then it wasn’t a small jump to think it could work this way as well.

“Very astute of you half-breed. Our miko self became selfish and paid the price. To speak to you takes a compromising conglomeration and as that is but a part of our consciousness, to speak its mind alone takes a great deal of singular energy.

‘That’s right. The demon that faced Midoriko was a jumble of many different demons.’

“Again, astonishingly correct.”

“You know what. I don’t think I want to think about it anymore.” The sound of her voice caused the guards on the outside of her cell to flinch and tense, though this went unnoticed by said miko/demon. “My mind hurts enough as it is. To try and understand how you work is to much for me right now.” A smile graced her face then. The first true and bright smile since the moment she woke up in this god awful place. ‘Thank you Midoriko. You’ve given me just what I need to keep my hope going.’

Later that night, after the guards had turned off her already dim lights signaling night shift had begun, she awoke from her restless sleep to the sounds of a familiar voice at her door. Her ears swivelled to focus on the conversation. ‘A bribe? For what?’ “Revenge” With that word whispered in her mind, she got her to her feet as she prepared herself for the worst.

There was the sound of a scuffle at the door. The guards apparently hadn’t gone for the offered money. The door creaked open and two shadows entered. Kagome’s good night vision allowed her to see who it was even before they turned the lights on to an even dimer illumination than normal. The one with the band around his eyes spoke with an anger that she could feel radiating off of them both. “You killed our sister you whore. Now, wether lord Orochimaru wants you alive or not, you are going to pay with your life.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

IVX: Oooooooh, cliffy, heh. I love those. Lol. Will Kagome ever find out about Inu’s apearance in Naruto land? ;;;shifty look;;; Maaaybe...

;;; IVX looks at the last update date and then today’s date;;; much better than a few months, wouldn’t you agree? This should be the norm now so keep stopping by to check for updates! R&R please... ^_~