InuYasha Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Hanyou ❯ Questions ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I love this story! I moved it from the Inuyasha to the Rurouni Kenshin. I thought it fit better there. Same story though.

Disclaimer: I don't own them.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

"This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. This is much worse than anything else, that it is." Inuyasha looked at the redheaded man next to him on the porch of the Kamiya dojo. He snorted in response.

"I'm completely serious. How could I have touched Kaoru-dono in that way? She must hate me now. She probably will ask me to leave as soon as she finishes her bath. I had finally found peace too. And there will be no one to protect her if I go, that there will not. This is awful. This is all my fault." Kenshin felt a hand rest on his shoulder.

"It's not your fault." Kenshin hung his head in his hands.

"I grabbed her."

"I goaded you."

"That is no excuse. I had no right to touch Kaoru-dono that way, that I did not."

"Stop wallowing in self pity. It's annoying." Kenshin glared at him and then looked longingly at the bathhouse. She wasn't singing. He sighed heavily.

"Why did you tell me this?" Inuyasha quirked an eyebrow.

"Because it was annoying."

"Not that. Why did you hunt me down to tell me that I am…" He trailed off.

"A hanyou?" Kenshin looked down at his feet. His sandals were wearing thin. He hadn't replaced them in a year. Before Kaoru, he had spent a lot of money on sandals. He wore them out so frequently on his long meandering journey.

"Yes."

"I already told you that, Shinta. Your father asked me to." Kenshin looked into Inuyasha's amber eyes.

"But why?"

"Lots of reasons. Mostly to help you through your instincts. How did you handle it by the way?"

"Handle what?"

"Your adolescence. It had to be hard." Kenshin watched as Kaoru emerged from the wooden structure and hurried into her room. She stopped for a fleeting second to look at him. She didn't seem angry. Then the shoji clicked closed. Kenshin looked back at Inuyasha.

"I was taken care of." That was half true. The white haired man looked at the clean polished wood of the porch.

"That's not what I meant." Kenshin suddenly found himself nervous. His hands wrung in front of him.

"Then what did you mean?" Inuyasha's response was so quiet, Kenshin barely heard him.

"The bloodlust."

"I was in the war." Inuyasha's eyes widened, and he looked right at Kenshin. The samurai brushed his bangs self consciously out of his face.

"You were only fifteen."

"Fourteen."

"The Ishin Shishi, right Shinta?" Kenshin nodded.

"How did you know?"

"They won," he replied as if that explained everything. Kaoru exited her room. She took two steps forward toward Inuyasha before he raised a clawed finger and pointed toward Kenshin.

"Over there, wench."

"Do not call Kaoru-dono a wench, Inuyasha." Inuyasha snorted. Kaoru sat on the far side of Kenshin, and he released a breath that he hadn't realized he'd been holding. His hand pulled away from his hilt as well where it had rested since she had finished her bath. Kenshin stood and walked in front of Kaoru in the dirt. He fell to the ground and bowed until his head touched the sandy surface.

"This unworthy one is very sorry for what he has done Kaoru-dono. He understands that you must punish him, that he does."

"Get up, Kenshin." He looked at her from his position on the ground. He watched her cheeks grow red with anger.

"I said get up!" He stood obediently. She pointed to the space on the porch he had just vacated.

"Sit!" He sat. Inuyasha shuddered.

"Now I have some questions to ask."

"Kaoru-dono I don't think that…" She leaned over Kenshin and pointed at Inuyasha.

"And you are going to answer them." The ears on his head twitched. Kenshin was silent, inhaling the scent of Kaoru and laundry that he had washed. He relaxed inside. She was safe again.

"And if I don't want to?" Kaoru did her best imitation of Kenshin's death glare.

"I really don't care what you want." Inuyasha raised both eyebrows.

"I ain't telling you shit, wench." Kenshin glared at him.

"I said do not call Kaoru-dono a…"

"You'll tell me what I want to know!" Kaoru shouted, effectively cutting Kenshin off. Inuyasha crossed his arms over his chest.

"Why should I?" Kaoru stood angrily.

"Because you barge into my home uninvited, start calling Kenshin by a weird name, get into a fight, inform him that he is a half demon, grab onto me, make him grope me, and then make me bathe again, in cold water I might add. And you call me a wench! I think I deserve some answers!" She sat back down in a huff. Inuyasha made a growling noise in his throat. Kaoru was surprised to hear it answered with another growling sound from Kenshin. Inuyasha threw his hands up.

"Keh!"

"What does that mean?"

"Ask your damn questions, woman." Kaoru, who had been thinking up more defense for her argument, sputtered a minute. She had not expected him to back down so easily.

"Okay, first things first. Why are you calling Kenshin, Shinta?" Inuyasha rolled his eyes.

"Because that's his name." She frowned.

"His name is Kenshin."

"It's Shinta." She looked over at the redhead between them.

"Kenshin?"

"Shinta is the name my parents gave to me, that it is. My master changed it because he thought it was too soft for a swordsman. My name is Kenshin now." Inuyasha huffed at him.

"Your master's an asshole." Kenshin nodded in solemn agreement.

"But he did raise me and teach me the principles of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, so I must be grateful, that I must."

"Is that what you call that thing you hit me with?"

"Sort of. I call that Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Two-step Battoujitsu."

"Isn't that a long name?"

"Yes."

"Excuse me! I'm the one asking questions here," Kaoru reminded them.

"This unworthy one is very sorry, Kaoru-dono," Kenshin said quickly. Kaoru didn't dignify him with a response.

"How do you know what Kenshin's birth name is?"

"I helped pick it out. His father came to me for advice. He wanted to name this brat Souta, although I don't see why anyone would want to name their child after him. I convinced him to name him Shinta instead. I like the name." He puffed out his chest in pride. Kaoru furrowed her brows at him.

"You're too young to have known Kenshin's father." Inuyasha snorted again.

"I've known that brat since he was six. I'm the closest thing to a father he's ever had."

"But you're too…"

"What did I say Shinta was?"

"A hanyou."

"And I am?"

"A hanyou."

"Right. So I age differently, woman. I am plenty old enough."

"Fifty?" Inuyasha snorted.

"Seventy-five?" Another snort.

"Eighty?"

"Four hundred and thirty six years old." Both Kenshin and Kaoru's mouths fell open. They stared at him wide-eyed.

"Are you serious? How?"

"What did I just say woman?"

"Well, but…"

"How can that be? Please tell me you're lying!" Kenshin shouted. Both Inuyasha and Kaoru stared at him. They were silent for a long tense moment,

"It's true, Shinta. I lived in the Sengoku Jidai." Kenshin was breathing shallowly. His hand flew to his chest.

"Are you alright Kenshin?" Kaoru's voice was laden with worry. Kenshin looked up at her. His breathing slowed and he lowered his hand.

"This unworthy one is fine Kaoru-dono, just a little surprised. Please continue with your questions." She tried to smile reassuringly. Kenshin smiled brightly back at her. She could tell it was empty. She sighed.

"I think that's enough for now. I'm a little hungry." She looked up at the sun dying in the sky. It spread red rays all over little yard. They glinted in Kenshin and Inuyasha's hair. Kenshin stood.

"This unworthy one will fix you and Inuyasha dinner then, Kaoru-dono." He moved away toward the kitchen. Kaoru looked at Inuyasha. He snorted, and she sighed.

"I'll get out of you and Shinta's hair. You don't have to feed me." Kaoru looked up at him.

"Please stay. You can't just tell him something like this and leave. You can stay in Yahiko's old room."

"Keh." Kaoru smiled lightly.

"Thank you." Inuyasha rose and grabbed his pack and haori. He sniffed at the air, then turned to move toward the room with the weakest scent of Kenshin and Kaoru.

"We'll talk more tomorrow, wench."

"Inuyasha?" He looked back at her.

"What?"

"You didn't just come to give Kenshin information, did you? There's more that you want, isn't there?" Inuyasha stared into her eyes with his bright golden ones for a moment before turning and continuing down the hall without a word.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

A/N: Action is coming soon. Just you wait! Please review!