InuYasha Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Miko Love ❯ Kindred Spirits ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Miko Love

Subtitle: Kindred Spirits

Status: Alpha

Author: Matthias aka MysticMew

Email: Minaru@gmx.de

(Plot) Beta-reader: Ayrki

Rating: PG-13

Category: Romance, Drama/Angst, Crossover/Fusion (somewhat)

Fandoms: Sailormoon (manga), Tenchi Muyo (OVA), Inu-Yasha and Vision of Escaflowne (both later on)

Main Pairing: Rei/Sasami

Side Pairing: Kagome/Sango

Timeline: Mainly about three years after the manga (BSSM) and OVA. This is part of the Soul Lights Continuum

Summary: After a hard decision of leaving Jurai Sasami and Tsunami find unexpected shelter with a young miko on Earth and something else…

Distribution: Soul Lights Continuum (http://sl.catstrio.de), Starsinlove-group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starsinlove), ff.net (www.fanfiction.net), Mediaminer (www.mediamer.org), ASMR (www.moonromance.net), Shoujo Ai.com (www.shoujoai.com). Anyone else, you can have it but please ask first, 'kay?

Disclaimer: See individual disclaimers below intro

Story Disclaimer: Copyright©2004 by Matthias Engel

Note: () indicates change of POV to the listed character, if empty then the following will be done in third person, a question mark indicates a character who is either unknown yet to the reader or should stay that way for now. <> Indicated time/place if necessary

******************************

<April 17, 1999>

The sun stood low in the sky as it illuminated the streets of Tokyo. It was a nice, spring evening, with almost summer-like temperatures and a tepid breeze was providing just the right kind of climate to mill around outside. It was Saturday and many were taking advantage of the beneficial weather to do just that.

Somewhere in the vicinity of the Azabu-Juuban district a young woman was currently preparing for her own enjoyment of a relaxing evening. It was a welcoming distraction from the chaos of the last weeks. So, by all means, she should be looking forwarding to spending some time away from duties, work and everything else that was occupying her time lately. She should look forward to get away from all of this…

"How exactly did I let myself be talked into this," Rei mused with a mixture of annoyance, reluctance and a bit of fond amusement. The cause of her mixed feelings about the matter was once again her recent assistant/apprentice who had somehow managed, against all her protest, to talk her into spending some time in town on a fair that was currently held close to Hikawa Jinja. Actually, it was held in Harumi, just a short bus ride to the east of the Maison apartment block. It wasn't that far away.

Now, she would have had no problem with that but she was really not feeling in the mood at all. The last two weeks had taken a lot out of her and weekends were about the only time she could remotely relax, especially now that she had, unwillingly or not, someone to split the duties around the Jinja with.

It was true that Sasami had proven to be a big help around the shrine. Rei had the impression that the girl had vastly understated at just how much she had helped around her family's shrine, or maybe she was just really fast in picking up new stuff. The miko had started easy, wanting to see just how much she could put on the younger girl's shoulders but after about a week had passed had to admit that whatever chore she handed the girl, Sasami would usually take care of it without EVER asking a question or for assistance. Sometimes it eerily appeared as if she was being guided by something higher, something the normal eye could not perceive. It reminded Rei of the feeling she had on the night of her arrival here and she had not come much closer in figuring out the mysteries that surrounded the blue-haired girl with the close resemblance to their beloved princess.

Sighing, Rei proceeded to finish with putting on the purple and red kimono, thinking back on just how it had come that she was here now, ready to go to a fair with her secretive new companion who she really barely knew, instead of meditating or maybe catching up on some homework…

******************************

M&M DreamWorks Presents

Miko Love

Kindred Spirits

A Soul Lights Side Story

Based on the works of Takeuchi Naoko and all other assorted authors

Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon(c)Takeuchi Naoko

Tenchi Muyo(c)Pioneer

Inu-Yasha, Ranma 1/2(c)Takahashi Rumiko

The Vision of Escaflowne(c)Kawamori Shoji, Yatate Hajime

******************************

<A while earlier (Rei)>

The air outside was unusual warm for the middle of April. Not that it never happened but I was a bit surprised considering the last weeks had covered Tokyo in a constant mixture of rain and barely tolerable levels of temperature. The change was actually rather welcome. Good weather simplified a lot of things around the shrine. With rain you always had to work an extra bit more afterwards to clean and dry the ground and be careful to keep nothing out in the open that could get easily soaked. On account of my divided attention a lot of that had actually wormed its way into the regions of regularity until about a week ago.

It's been nine days now actually since my new assistant had wormed herself into my home… and was providing to be an exceptional help that I would be hard-pressed to reject now that I knew how willingly she was to justify her stay. Sasami had proven to be more than just the occasional helping hand, relieving of some of the lesser, more annoying tasks so that I could concentrate on the actual shrine business. In fact the blue-haired girl possessed an almost scary amount of spiritual power. I couldn't believe she was never properly trained. Someone had to have trained her because she continued to display a sensitivity that I had worked years on to achieve myself. She barely showed it, but one who had trained as a miko nearly all her life could easily pick up the signs in small actions.

Sasami wasn't a believer though. Not as much as I was, having been raised in the ways of Shinto. She was familiar with very few rituals and from what I had been able to discern so far, even this knowledge was flawed or… maybe just simply different. Maybe the shrine she had lived near at had practiced variations I was not familiar with… Not that they were less successful, just different. Yes, that was it.

I hadn't been able to find out more about her background except a last name… Which I considered a surprise by itself, kind of disrupting my still nagging suspicion that she was a runaway. I had made a few calls but neither of the neighboring shrines I was familiar with knew anything about a Masaki family one, nor did I found it listed anywhere. The best I could imagine was that it was really just a small one, somewhere further away, probably in a remote region. That made the most sense… or the girl was just outright lying… which I found myself vehemently refusing to believe.

One thing I had gotten used to though. Her flawless, nearly invisible aura. That is why I knew exactly that Sasami had just entered the living area, otherwise I might have been surprised once more. Not only was there the hard to detect aura but she was rather light-footed, her steps barely making any sound as if she were floating. It only added to the mystery.

My eyebrows rose spotting a nervous expression and a bouquet of flowers clutched in front of her. The blue-haired girl met my gaze with a certain trepidation before resolve masked it. She tentatively - nervously actually - held out the flowers. Casablanca lilies I noted immediately, producing a flash of mixed memories. "Um, I bought those for you. Happy Birthday, Hino-san."

I blinked in open amazement at the offered flowers and the one holding them. I had NOT told her. I usually never told anyone about my birthday. My friends only found out by chance and usually they knew I didn't want to make a great fuss about it. Birthdays had rarely been anything special in the past until I met the others. They've become a bit more… enjoyable then, but even that only in the latter years when Usagi and Minako especially had made sure to at least throw the occasional party. And how the hell did she know about the flowers? After the latest fiascos I pretty much had canceled the usual birthday meetings with my father, knowing fully well that he didn't even care the little bit about family anymore as he pretended to do. The flowers hadn't even been his. They had been Kaidou-san's and I had told him in no uncertain terms some years ago already that I didn't want the false gifts anymore. They were fine when coming from my friends, at least I knew the origin was genuine there but…

Startled out of my reflections I realized I had stared a bit too long. Sasami was getting pretty anxious and seemed to fear a rejection or other negative reaction. The girl, that much I learned, was eager to please. Not that she was ready to lick your shoes, to put it extremely, but I detected a certain longing for attention, to see other people happy made her happy herself. Her cooking - which was absolutely fabulous - was only one example. Every time a compliment was thrown her way, she would smile happily. Not exaggeratedly but in a positively infatuating way. Sasami was someone who didn't like seeing someone sad or angry… another striking resemblance to Usagi…

Taking the lilies carefully from the younger girl's hands, I smiled in a simple gesture of gratitude at the effort, knowing from her reaction alone that she just wanted to be nice. We hadn't been able to spent much time during the last week and the girl was obviously making an effort to be friendly. Catching up in college and the Jinja had occupied me most of the time and the one I had to spare was mostly spent to incorporate my new assistant into the daily routine which for the first days was actually a bit of extra work, considering that I had to sacrifice time to watch over her, to see how she was doing. It got much better after I realized that Sasami wouldn't need any supervision for the most mundane tasks.

"Arigato, Sasami-chan. Those are very nice." I breathed in the smell of the flowers before getting up to get them into fresh water. Busying myself with that task, and steadying myself again from the effects of the simple yet strangely dizzying smile of the other girl, I asked casually, "So, how did you know?"

Sasami fidgeted slightly before answering. "Jiichan told me…" Somehow, I wasn't surprised. Grandfather had taken an instant liking towards the new resident in our Jinja, although I had the slight suspicion that that had a lot to do with her cooking and the near motherly attention Sasami had devoted upon him. Surprisingly enough her simple presence managed to combat his sickness better when any medicine before. I suppose there really was something curing about a joyful smile and a happy spirit in the house…

"I see," I answered simply. Not quite knowing just how much my grandfather had told her but almost sure it had something to do with my lacking enthusiasm for my birthday, I added, "It's alright. I don't mind. Actually that's my first gift today." I allowed myself a smile and was immediately answered with a look of gratitude filling red-pink eyes. The statement was somewhat true. Grandfather hadn't been able to get out of bed much for the last weeks but he knew I wasn't expecting anything to begin with. And so far none of my friends had shown up… which DID have its reasons.

I noticed that Sasami hadn't moved from where she was. In fact she looked even more pensive than before. As eager as the girl was too please, she seemed to be REALLY careful not to do or say anything wrong during the first week living and working here. "What is it, Sasami-chan?" I asked as neutrally as possible.

"Well, I was wondering. I heard there was a fair over in Harumi… I haven't been to a fair for some time. I know I've not been here for long but if you don't mind I'd like to go and… maybe you want to go, too?"

I knew I had lost the argument before it even began, I had absolutely no defense against the innocently, pleading expression, worming itself through every shield I would have normally been able to erect. I was really not in the mood for an outing. I would have simply liked to stay at home, maybe meditate a little and catch up on some homework. And it wasn't too hard to realize where the real reason for the request lay. Sasami obviously wanted me to do something off-duty for a change. I would have refused. I really would have… but the effect the girl had on me had actually increased since the first day. It was vexing, irritating, frustrating… It was useless to resist.

******************************

(Sasami)

I didn't believe that Hino Rei was a cold person. Actually that would be about the total opposite of her innermost self. I didn't believe she was distant or… aloof either. I've heard some visitors talk when they thought no one was listening but I couldn't quite believe what they were saying. That she didn't have any friends or that she came across as somewhat scary and otherworldly at most times.

Many things had quickly disposed of those rumors for me. In fact, all I really had to do was to think of Ayeka when she was under stress which more or less was a constant during the last year. Before we had come back to Jurai, my sister had been considerably more relaxed. After all the adventures spent together she had lost most of her haughty demeanor and could easily let go of the mask she had been trained to wear for years before that. During the last year I had rarely seen the more carefree girl who would enjoy to spend time with her friends and family. A rather saddening thing, one that had played a minor role in our decision to leave… but that wasn't important. What was important was that I always knew that this softer side still existed but every day life forced her to suppress it.

I had seen Rei interact with one of her friends. Or I at least believed the Kino girl was a friend and not just an acquaintance. The brunette didn't strike me as a miko or priestess. Rei was considerable more relaxed around the other girl. She had only been there once or twice during the week I've spent at Hikawa Jinja but it was enough to let me know that the notion of Hino Rei not having any friends was simply hilarious.

Stress almost always was a factor that could mess up most of your life and make you do things you later regretted. With the illustrious circle of my extended family, I had gotten to know many different characters, often proving to be more multi-layered when one would believe on the first glance. My sister and Ryoko were just one example.

I had mostly stood on the sidelines during our adventures here on Earth but that had also given me time to analyze those people around me and I had gotten pretty good at that. My intuition now was telling me that I should try hard to make a friend out of Rei and that with the right balance of patience and persuasion that should easily be possible. Besides, I was really curious about the strange connection to her I could feel whenever we were in each other's close presence. It was a bit irritating, making me act more shyly than usual but it was also mysterious and well, what could I say? I loved mysteries.

We clearly were making for an odd couple. The older, composed miko in her very fitting purple kimono and I in the red and white one which had been a gift from Tenchi once. If not for the lack of any resemblance we could have been older and younger sister walking over the grounds of the fair. As it was we drew quite some stares from the guest, our individual appearances radiating a sharp contrast. Neither really cared. I was actually too happy to have succeeded in my plan for the evening and Rei didn't seem to be bothered by the looks at all.

The fair - a spring festival that seemed relatively new to me - was held on the dock areas of Harumi. There was a wide and open space in the center and enough between the bigger depots to fit many different kinds of draws and booths. The entire thing had the typical feel of a fair, there were many booths to win prizes at by competing in games of skill. I remembered the few ones we had been too fondly, although after our more than unfairly over-talented group had been let loose on some, there were enough of the participants who wanted nothing more than for us to leave…

There was a certain feel to the place that had me a little distracted though. Especially the large space which was currently filled with all sort of attractions and a large crowd having gathered around what I believed was some kind of trickster performing "magic tricks". There was the distant sensation of a portal here, of what kind and nature I couldn't tell, neither could Tsunami, but I had the impression that my other half was becoming slightly nostalgic, as if some memories had suddenly been stirred.

I shrugged the feeling of, being used to Tsunami's bouts of reflections - after all I wasn't really unsusceptible for them myself - when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I glanced to the side to see Rei follow my gaze. And she was really following it, not just assuming I was watching the man performing his tricks. "Can you sense it too. The mystical energy running through this place?"

Pondering what to do, I finally decided that it would amount me no trust to downplay the matter. Rei was pretty sharp and I doubted she would buy a negative response. I wasn't really sure how much of my powers I wanted to give away just yet. It could frighten the older girl or maybe just make her wary than all I wanted was her friendship. I settled for a nod and an affirmative murmur in the end, waiting whether or not Rei would pursue the matter.

She didn't and after a longer period of silence where we just stood amongst the crowd watching the man doing his tricks with an arrogance as if he REALLY knew magic, I risked another glance at my older companion and was pleasantly surprised to find a wry grin on her face, obviously finding the act just as ridiculous as I did in light of the kinds of real magic we had encountered. If Tsunami was right with her assumption - and I had no reason to question that -, the miko had obviously seen enough more supernatural than your average shrine attendant would in all their life.

All that was trivial though because my trained eye - as I said I had had enough practice - could clearly see that the raven-haired beauty was starting to relax, the tension that had been easily visible to someone who knew what to look for, was starting to drain away. Rei shook her head with a bemused smile when the trickster finished his act by letting a bunch of birds emerge from seemingly out of nowhere, making the crowd go into "aww"s and "oh"s… Without a problem we slipped out of the spellbound gathering.

"I suppose I should thank you," Rei said to my pleasant surprise. "I really needed some distraction from textbooks, endless calculations, and even tending to things around the shrine." She looked around the area casually. "Usually I'm not that much of a fan of festivals but I guess it's better than spending your birthday alone at home or… elsewhere…" The miko broke the sentence off, a melancholic shadow creeping over her features for just the barest of moments. Then it was gone again, replaced once more by a friendly, warm smile.

Filing away the occurrence but not pressing the issue at all, I was quick to amend, "You just looked like you needed it, Hino-san. My… Oneechan is like that too when she's under stress so I kind of know how that is like. Besides, you let me stay for free at your Jinja without barely knowing me. This is the least I could do, right?"

Rei's gaze softened even more and I felt myself beginning to flush, feeling the strange connection again. I had a vague idea of what it was but was careful to draw any premature conclusion. I've only known the young woman for nine days after all. "It is that natural for you, isn't it?" my hostess asked with an odd but definitely appreciating tone. Not sure how to take the comment, I just gave a small nod. Rei's smile deepened in response, warming my heart and letting me know of a faster success in my intentions as I had hoped for. She was rather different right now from what I had seen around the Jinja during the last week. The change came about rather drastic…

*Sometimes you just don't know the effect you have on other people.* I barely refrained from the urge to exclaim something out loud at Tsunami's comment but then became aware that Rei had moved her hand to touch my own, sending a brief spark of electricity through my body. The miko was looking at me expectedly. "Well, we are here to have some fun, right? So why don't we find something to enjoy then?"

I stared down where the young woman's hand had touched mine and then back up again. A smile spread out over my lips seeing that the stress of the last days seemed to have completely evaporated now and left someone who wanted to just enjoy a pleasant night out since she was here already.

"That sounds neat," I replied and on a sudden impulse linked the fingers of my hand through hers, starting to move with a giggle and pulling the older woman along. Apparently we had just started to bond on a more personal level when the hectic work atmosphere at the Jinja had allowed. I was really glad and surely excited about it.

******************************

(Rei)

Contrary to common belief, I wasn't one to despise and outright refuse personal enjoyment. Why, the mere thought was ridiculous if you just took a look at my chosen path in life, the faith I had followed for well over a decade of my life. Shinto might be a religion of humbleness and reverence to a great degree but being the religion of life I was more than aware that prohibiting oneself it's simple joys and pleasures was a foolish thing to do. My faith had taught me to be well-mannered and collected as befitting of one of my station. I was by far not so closed off though that I could not enjoy a simple night out on a festival.

In fact, ever since I had met my friends and comrades I had become considerably more outgoing. Before that I rarely had any motivation. Acquaintances at school had mostly been just that, only a few coming close to the term of friend, yet never quite reaching it. I had been alone most of my childhood, ever since mother passed away. But Usagi and the others had changed that, making me realize just how much I had actually longed to have people by my side who understood me. Kindred spirits, I used to call them. Sharing a similar burden, a similar destiny.

So, no, the kami forbid, I was definitely not prone to enjoying myself. Tonight I simply hadn't been in the mood. Or I hadn't been until just about a short while ago. I had managed to avoid the others on my birthday mostly for the first two years. But starting with my sixteen birthday they had been rather persistent and wouldn't let me get away with any kind of excuse I would think up. It was a nice change from the repetitive and mood-dampening routine of meeting my father who could care less about what kind of life I lived. Family had stopped to matter to him when I was still very young and yet I had somehow clung to those short moments I had with him every year… until I found out what it was like to have someone REALLY care about your birthday.

I had known that the other's would most likely not step by. With High School done, a new chapter of our life had just been opened. Many of us had applied for university, college or some kind of job, eating away practically all of our free time. I wasn't the only one with the problem. Planning and throwing birthday parties was out of the question right now since we all had to get used to the aspects in our life… after all that was what Usagi had insisted on, right? To live our lives as long as it was still possible. In about two years, if nothing drastically happened, there would be Crystal Tokyo. If not now to enjoy and fortify our dreams and hopes when then? The others had phoned earlier and wished me well but that was all, they were all far too busy at the moment. That was okay, I had spent enough birthdays on my own and not caring much about it as it was… I could deal.

Or so I had thought.

I smiled in irritated but somewhat fond acceptance of the blue-haired girl's success while she pulled me along without much resistance from my side. It reminded me somewhat on the first time Usagi had dragged Ami, Makoto and myself to a similar event, eager to spend time with her new friends. The joyful, carefree attitude of our princess was always positively infatuating. Who could resist someone like that, much more deny them the simple enjoyment of life?

Sasami was just like Usagi. Well, not quite. There was a somewhat more… somber aura around her. Something less extra-exuberant but slightly more reserved. Where Usagi only rarely applied her reborn heritage, I had often caught Sasami in deep thought, in obvious reflection, during the days she had spent here. She could get rather absorbed in what seemed to be troubling, melancholic memories. And the next moment she would be a bundle of energy again, eager to please and ready to literally spread joy all around the Jinja grounds… Many visitors had commented - and no less complimented - to me about that.

As hard as I tried to be objective, telling myself that I had granted the girl temporary shelter, that there was a good chance that someone would come looking for her, as hard as I tried to keep a moderate distance because of the mysteries surrounding her, it was close to impossible to not warm up to the joyful presence that had taken temporary residence within my home.

And really, would it be so terrible to allow a friendship to form? No surely not. I could not detect any signs of malevolence and surely Sasami was not capable of bringing any harm to anyone. That seemed to be totally contrary to the girl's very nature. No friendship would certainly be nice. While you would hardly hear me admit it out loud, Usagi had done my lonely heart a whole lot of good. I had seen that there were different and successful ways to approach life, that not all were as bland as mine. No, this really wasn't the problem.

It was the nagging fear that the bonds between my new assistant and I that I could already detect starting to form, would deepen far beyond simple friendship. I was no fool. I knew what the feelings were stirring in my heart whenever Sasami and I interacted. However, I also knew that with my history in the field, the possibility should better be averted at all costs…

Looking back at the younger girl, happily glancing left and right to take in all the sights, just like a child on their first time on a fair, I had the sinking feeling that controlling just how far I allowed my association with Masaki Sasami to go was hardly in my hands alone anymore. She already had a habit to pass by all of my defenses without even as much as noticing.

It seemed that fate was intending for us to become closer. The initial meeting had surely been fated, that much I was assured of. If this was divine will, what else could I do short of throwing her right out of my life and house - which I doubted was even possible at this point - to prevent… whatever was supposed to happen from happening? Nothing probably.

Maybe I am simply interpreting too much into this. All the girl seems to want is friendship, I reasoned, pushing away these deep thoughts that similarly excited as much as they scared me. There was no point in pondering about things that couldn't be changed. Besides, my companion was getting agitated and impatient with her having to drag me along.

Well, she wasn't dragging me anymore. I looked up and saw that Sasami had stopped to stare at a booth or more like one of the prizes on display. Without needing to really look, I could tell her eyes were glued on the brown toy cat. It was of small size with a lithe form and the black eyes sparkled slightly under the glow of a moonbeam falling on it at just the right angle. "Oh, how pretty," Sasami squealed with delight, making me smile at yet another display of the simple-minded and inspiring innocence, displayed by my younger charge. Then Sasami turned to look at me with pleading eyes and I knew at once that refusing whatever wish would come from her lips, was strictly out of the question. "I'd really like to have the kitty, Hino-san."

Thought as much.

Making as if contemplating for a moment, I finally shrugged. "Well, I've been neglecting my archery training as of late. I might as well test my skill." Sasami broke out into a broad smile and I leaned forward to playfully tap her on the nose. "You have to do one thing though."

The blue-haired girl nodded rapidly. "Sure. Everything."

Faking dead-seriousness but my voice teasing, I replied, "Stop calling me Hino-san, it makes me feel so old." Which it did, regardless of the clear age difference. It felt like yesterday sometimes that I had been around her age. "Rei will do."

******************************

(Sasami)

It was early in the morning at the Hikawa Jinja. A Sunday to be precise. Normally most people would sleep in on Sundays, glad to not needing to rise early for school or work. They would lie in bed until the sun was well risen and then would indulge into a languid breakfast with family and/or loved ones while beginning the day at a slow place, recovering from the last week and refreshing for the next. That would especially hold true if the evening before was spent on an outing, going well close to midnight.

The sun had barely showed the first signs of rising when I was already more or less fully awake, staring at the ceiling in the small but adequate room Rei had granted me. It was certainly a nice touch that even some of the guestrooms had real beds instead of having to get along with the temporary solution of the traditional futon. I wouldn't have minded, of course, but this was still certainly nice and showed once more to me what I had estimated almost upon our first meeting, that Hino Rei was essentially a very nice, caring person once you got her trust and past her seemingly aloof outward projection.

I had been awake for awhile, dimly aware that I would have to get up soon. Where others would rather stay in bed on Sundays, living and working at a shrine was different, I've learned that very fast. It wasn't all that different from what I had done back at the Masaki home. While I had very rarely aided my older brother - I tended to think of him more by his real identity as of late -, I had my fair share of chores around the house which I always took very seriously… compared to other cohabitants. This wasn't much different. The nature of some of my obligations here was, but that was all.

Auntie Funaho had always said I was a fast learner and she had actually taught me a thing or to about the religion her son practiced. It was certainly different from what was practiced today. A more ancient, maybe even closer to the core way of faith. I had been interested, especially with my growing connection to Tsunami. I had hoped some sort of spiritual guidance would help me to adjust better to the advancing assimilation and in a way it actually did. I saw and understood many things in a different way now and was able to actually recognize some of the abilities now at my… at our disposal. Auntie Funaho had probably been the only one who could claim to at least begin to understand just what I was going through…

I closed off the imaginary floodgate to past memories before it could fully open and rather concentrated on some more happier ones. Looking of the side there was the adoring little stuffed animal, the brown kitty. Despite no closer resemblance othr than fur and eye color, it had immediately reminded me of Ryo-oh-ki, the closest friend I could ever say having in my rather short childhood. From everyone, I missed the little cabbit the most. I had been tempted to take her along but I couldn't do that to her and Ryoko. Besides the latter and Washu would know where I was within a moment if I had did this. And surely they would try to get me, not understanding my and Tsunami's reasoning. It was better this way.

The sorrow over the family and friends left behind on Jurai diminished considerably, comfortingly overshadowed by last night's events. The fun I… we had at the fair and the one who had granted me the cat as a gift. It was about the closest we had come to a casual display of friendship since meeting. It had always been a little awkward between us, the immediate connection that no doubt both of us felt, leaving us confused. That is why I treasured the toy already. I liked Rei a lot. Without really knowing her much, I knew that I wanted to be friends with her, and getting to see the more carefree side yesterday only reaffirmed my resolve on the matter. It didn't much matter to me that there was a physical difference of about six years in our age - not to even speak about the actual difference. I almost always had older people to call loved ones. Being a princess, it was tough to find someone around your age to play and grow up with. Maybe that was why I sought to not be alone anymore now that I was older. And Rei would make a very good… friend. I was assured of that.

It was about time I got ready to start breakfast. I had easily noted that than it came to the Jinja, my hostess was a very dedicated person, keeping a strict schedule for herself and those she allowed to help - not that I had anyone to compare with than me. She loved this place dearly and I was more than willing to do my share to help her with its continuing prosperity. Not just because I wanted to score points with the raven-haired miko but also because she had so graciously offered me a place to stay, practically with no knowledge of who I was or where I came from, my necessary secrecy not helping much either.

Besides, Hikawa Jinja was no ordinary shrine. Maybe to the normal eye it was nothing more than that, even to most spiritual-gifted it would appear as nothing more than a sanctuary of the divine. But for me the potency of the area and its binding into a close node of the magical nexus net that spammed all of Japan - but mostly so Tokyo - was a glaring, obvious fact. Tsunami believed that the place with a couple of others around the city formed a rather unusual high-level ley line pattern that seemed to guard and feed a certain point in its center that was as of yet asleep and waiting for the awakening of its purpose.

Tsunami had been rather quiet and thoughtful than explaining that to me. Actually the signals I was getting from my other half were giving reasons for concern. Whatever she had learned from Martel, it was troubling her deeply. I was pretty sure I had to confront her about that soon since she was still blocking off those memories and more concrete feelings connected to them. Sometimes the spirit's overprotection left the boundaries of touching and became pretty annoying.

Not wanting to make me worry was all fine and good and I was more than willing to acknowledge her privacy as she did mine but we were too close now. I wasn't the eight year-old anymore who had been afraid of what Tsunami had done to her. We shared almost everything already and just getting the feedback without any idea of what was going on inside her was not helping much. In fact, it left me feeling helpless, inadequate to share the burden of the other as we usually did. I was aware that Tsunami felt guilty about cutting my childhood as short as it had been regardless of the fact that I had assured her she was not to blame. Without her, I wouldn't have had a childhood to begin with. That guilt often manifested in touching but widely unnecessary displays of consideration.

While occupied with these thoughts, well aware that Tsunami was probably listening, I had already finished dressing and slipped out of the room. While making my way to the bathroom I stopped at the door to the kind old priest's quarter, Rei's grandfather, and briefly peeked inside to assure myself that he was still sound asleep. The unhealthy paleness had lessened considerably. He was still weak and the virus no close to letting go but it didn't look so… lethal anymore.

Quietly I shut the door again and leaning against it for a moment, allowed myself a smile. The older man was actually very kind. He cared a lot about his granddaughter, seeing her upbringing as a very personal quest. He hadn't let me know much about the rest of Rei's family, like her parents, but I was tactful enough not to ask and perceptive enough to realize it was obviously a touchy subject, most likely one evoking negative emotions. It had been his idea to ask Rei to go to the fair actually, not that I hadn't thought about it. The older man had noticed his granddaughter's stress and with a wink had told me that she was too stubborn to do something about it herself. But with a little prodding…

Well, it had worked out well, and hopefully Rei would be in better spirits today. Well, if she was not, there was certainly a way to give it a little extra push. With that I set of to prepare for the morning. Most importantly, breakfast.

******************************

I admit to having an insatiable curiosity that had gotten me into more than one… uncomfortable situation. Like that fateful day when I had sneaked out to visit the Tree Chamber which had irreversible let to events that defined my near and distant future. That was probably the most drastic of cases. There were smaller ones, especially when I was very young. I always wanted to know stuff. About the stars, about this book and that machine and well, you get the point. The incident with Tsunami had dampened this curiosity streak somewhat and through the years Tsunami's calmer and more serious personality - especially that of her human aspect - helped to balance out my natural curiosity. However, it never fully eliminated it. Not that I wanted it too, but sometimes I wished it could.

In the back of my mind all that played when I looked around the room, in search of something to satisfy my interest. I knew I probably shouldn't do this but couldn't help myself. It had been a couple of days since the fair and Rei was out to attend college, leaving me alone with her grandfather. While I searched around the room for anything remotely helpful, I always had to think back to the conversation we had over breakfast on Sunday. It had just been a casual question, actual a pretty logical one from my perspective. I had wondered about it before but never really got the chance to ask.

The dark and sad expression I had briefly saw flash over Rei's face had startled me and the fast evasion tactic employed, told me enough to let the subject drop. I had considered asking her grandfather but since I had no idea what his feelings on the matter were, I was mindful of his physical state and rather set out to explore on myself.

*She's not going to like you rummage about her room, you know?*

I had to admit, Tsunami had a point. Whatever Rei's problem here was, I should probably not go about finding it out behind her back. Unfortunately, I was growing rather attached to the young woman. We were starting to connect better and I really didn't like to see a good friend so upset about something.

"She looked so… hurt. I just want to help," I reasoned, debating with myself - in more than the obvious sense of the word. Regardless of my reasoning, if Rei ever got wind of what I was doing, the reactions could vary from mild annoyance to all but destroying the tentative bond forming between us… The mere thought of the latter sent shudders down my spine.

Shaking my head in defeat, I started to relent to my other half's superior experience. "You are right though, I…" That is when I spotted something that drew my immediate attention. Buried deep in one of the drawers there was a frame of some sorts. Against better reason, I pulled it out tentatively, noticing that it was indeed what I had suspected. A picture frame. The photo inside showed a seemingly happy family on first glance. A good-looking young man in a business suit, his beautiful wife, bearing a striking resemblance to Rei and a young girl. No more than three or four at best with the same dark, long hair as her apparent mother. Closer examination, applying the skills of observation I had acquired over the years, made me aware of some small things that were out of place though. The mother looked rather pale… and quite clearly sick. In spite of that the assumed husband appeared rather… cold and indifferent while young Rei - or so I assumed - seemed to be sad, sadder than a child her age should…

"That's the only one I have about all of us together."

I had a hard time resisting the urge to jump straight through the ceiling. Actually I all but wanted to at the startling voice which bore a tone of underlying… anger that made me wish I could really just vanish from the spot. Turning around to glance at Rei standing in the doorframe with an unreadable, cool expression on her face. Her eyes spoke of the same deep pain I had seen before when asking her about her parents and it was unmistakable that Rei was in no way happy to see me here, with the picture clutched in one hand.

Stupid curiosity…

For a moment, time seemed to stand still or at least gradually slow down, freezing us in our individual positions. And the more seconds elapsed, the more uncomfortable I became. I knew I probably should say something but words were hard to come by at the moment. Tsunami was unusually silent too, but that I knew already. She'd usually let me handle my own problems, not wanting to patronize me all the time. Something about learning to handle situations like these by myself. I would have given a lot for her usual insight but… It's not like she didn't warn me, right?

"You are back early," I said rather lamely, feeling like a dumb idiot the moment the words came out.

"I am," Rei answered curtly, not going further into detail. Outwardly Rei seemed to be indifferent but I could tell that was certainly not how she was really feeling. The intense purple eyes focused on me were unnerving and I shifted slightly. I really wished I hadn't let my curiosity get the better of me. It really would not pay out and would certainly impact on whatever form of friendship had formed between us. Rei was quick to invoke a royal temper that could rival my older sister's but she was usually just as fast to forgive as well. I wasn't too sure about the latter in this case though…

"Your… mother was very beautiful," I stated softly, glancing back at the picture, not sure what else to say. It was the truth though. The young woman in the picture was a very beautiful one, even by Jurai standards. In fact, the way she held herself despite her apparent sickness reminded me of the way Auntie Funaho would.

Rei didn't say anything right away. Instead the raven-haired woman pushed away from the doorframe and stepped closer. I relented my grip on the frame immediately when she reached for it. My host looked at it, a ghostly thin smile, still rather sad though. "Hai," she murmured before putting it back into the drawer and shutting it with a bit more force than necessary. I flinched at the banging sound. The miko still didn't say a word that would express her tangible upset feelings and that silence made me feel even worse than any angry rant could have made me. By now I had expected an outburst of temper and was all too ready to offer my sincere apologies. There was nothing to argue about anyway. I might have had good interests in mind but I probably should have gone about this differently.

"Rei…" I started but never got any further than that.

Without directly looking at me, staring at the spot where her hand still lingered on the closed drawer, Rei stated in a cold voice that made me feel like the lowest dirt on the planet at the moment, "I believe you have chores to do, other than looking through my stuff that is."

I felt a little numb at the cold indifference in the voice. I had known that her family was obviously a sore topic but had not expected it to strike this deep a chord. Her aura was one of barely restraint anger but also a great amount of disappointment, overshadowing a myriad of repressed emotions that I couldn't quite make out but were obviously making the older girl very uncomfortable.

Feeling a need to at least try to explain, I started to say something but when Rei finally looked at me with a look swaying between disappointment and betrayal, I wisely glanced away, shuffling out of the room, feeling very, very bad about the entire incident. I might as well have destroyed the sliver of trust that had formed between us.

"I'm…" I choked down a hoarse sob, tears forming in my eyes. "I'm sorry…" And with that I all but fled the room, ready to lose myself in mundane chores. Who knows, maybe it was the last time I could…

******************************

(Rei)

The atmosphere at the Jinja that evening was… morose. The tension in the air was tangible and reached as far as grandfather's room. The older man had actually given me a meaningful, somewhat stern look that made me feel rather guilty in spite of still feeling angry. Right now most of the anger had drained out and what was left was a sullen mood that had crept from my heart into my mind, refusing to budge.

Stupid temper of mine.

I had been in a rather bad mood already when I returned home early. One of the few classes I had actually time to attend had been cancelled, making the entire trip to the college more or less pointless. Seeing as I already was making enough sacrifices in the educational field, trying to balance it out with keeping the Jinja running despite grandfather's illness, I believe I was rightfully upset about the short notice.

The other thing that had me thinking all morning was a call I had gotten earlier. Somehow, some of the visitors to the shrine had obviously gotten wind that Sasami's stay here wasn't quite… how to put it… legal. I DID check for her background or possible origin, alright, but would have to admit that my efforts had been less than enthusiastic lately. I had gotten used to the blue-haired girl's presence. After the fair this weekend things had become much more relaxed between us and I found it hard not to believe her when she said her presence wouldn't be missed at home. Her presence definitely would be missed here.

The episode from earlier in the evening was a hard to ignore proof. Without even really noticing, Sasami had filled this sanctuary that had always had a somewhat lonely feel with a vivid atmosphere only felt before when the others had been visiting, mainly Usagi.

Dinner had been just as splendid but the mood was impacting on its taste nonetheless. No word had been spoken. About two weeks before, that would have been the norm. Relative silence during the meals. Grandfather wasn't all that chipper and with his recent sickness, silence had become a product of lacking company. I was astonished at how much had changed in the two weeks since Sasami was here. Her gentle, cheerful spirit had given the whole place a new feel. And now that it was so clearly gone, it felt somehow… not right.

I shook my head in irritation, once again - as so often during the past two weeks - about the effect the younger girl had not only on her surroundings but especially on me. I was pretty sure she wasn't even totally aware of that effect. There was just that certain charm, that mixture of cheerfulness and sometimes almost adult-like maturity. You could just not be angry with her. Which the current situation proved very much since I was feeling guilty for my earlier… outburst.

It hadn't even been as much as that. In retro perspective my reaction was far harsher than a regular flare of temper would have been. On the one hand I believed to have had every right to be angry. After all Sasami had clearly violated my privacy and pried into matters that really shouldn't be relevant to her and which I didn't want to be reminded of. On the other hand, I wasn't much better actually. Making inquiries behind her back. True, they were probably more justified, after all there was still the suspicion that the girl was a runaway. But even that didn't lessen the feelings of guilt… Sasami had been very helpful, both around the shrine and to liven up the mood of the entire place, and I could still not even form the thought that she had any kind of… malevolent intentions.

Sighing, I moved to push open the doors to the walkway outside. I had been standing behind it for some time now, knowing that Sasami was sitting outside with no apparent intention to come inside anytime soon. A circumstance further gnawing on my guilty mind. I was amazed at myself that by now I was ready to forgive and forget. But as I said, it was hard, or better even, near to impossible to stay angry at my new assistant.

Without a word I closed the door behind me and proceeded to sit down next to her, feet dangling from the wooden floor. It kind of reminded me of that first meeting about two weeks ago and I couldn't help but reminisce about how much I had grown fond of the girl I had believed to be just another nuisance to add in my stressful life these days. How wrong I had been. The kami must have heard me that fateful morning, because Sasami seemed to be very eager to please and to share my burdens as I had wished for. I could hardly deny any more that after the night spent at the fair we had been well on the way to actual friendship.

"Gomen nasei…"

The apology slipped from our lips pretty much in flawless synchrony. Sasami lifted her head where it had been buried in her arms before, just as I looked back in startled amazement. There was that stereotypical gust of air that blew by - and yes, that actually happened - and then I couldn't help the first faint but quickly strengthening smile that was in turn answered by a first shy and then more and more radiant one by my companion. Finally we let go of the stored tension and broke out into a wave of giggles that lasted for several long, good and liberating seconds. I couldn't quite recall when I had laughed like this the last time but it surely had been a long while ago. Not even Usagi got me to do that often. Not that I didn't enjoy a good inspiriting humor but I never had felt the real need, the real reason to do so.

After we had calmed down somewhat, silence once again claimed a prime position but unlike before it was completely vacant of the tension that had been between us since the earlier incident. I was saved from a repeat of the first attempt to start a conversation when Sasami was a wee bit faster this time. "I shouldn't have done that, Rei-oneesama," the younger girl started, using a bit more formal suffix than the playful "-chan" that I had come to like, especially coming from her. Right now, the blue-haired girl appeared rather humble. A trait I had observed quite often. It had something of royalty but also a certain… divinity. I knew that would sounded stupid to anyone else, however, that was what my senses were telling me. And then there was the other presence I had felt more than once now. Sometimes separated, often mingled with Sasami's own. "I was curious because you looked so sad the other day when I asked you about…" She trailed off, the end of the sentence still unmistakable.

I said nothing for a moment, then heaved another sigh, shaking my head slightly. "And I shouldn't have reacted like that. I should have known by now you only mean well." The smiles came more natural and more genuine around Sasami, and now was no exception. "So, we both know now what we shouldn't have done. Maybe we should just forget the entire thing happened to begin with?" I offered with a casualty that once more served to surprise me. It really shouldn't anymore. I wouldn't get rid of the positive presence of Sasami anytime soon. I didn't even want to.

The younger girl's eyes lit up. "Really?"

I chuckled at the wonder and eagerness to do just that. "Sure," I replied.

We both smiled at each other and continued to sit there in the cool night air. The weather had been pretty irregular. While typical for April, there had been a more steady increase in fluctuation the last years that worried me somewhat. I wasn't sure just what exactly to do about the other girl. But I surely did not want her presence gone from the Jinja, the positive element that would be removed, was too great a sacrifice in my opinion. And the ease with which this first minor fallout had been handled, was demonstrating once more that I would probably lose a possible good friend…

Or more.

I would have to call Ami about… arranging some stuff.

******************************

(Sasami)

Silence was quite an interesting thing if you took the time to study it. There were various degrees of it. Mainly those that gnawed on your nerves, making you jumpy and REALLY uneasy and those that were actually comfortable, an acknowledgement of peace and tranquility in one particular situation. Silence could be both a product of lacking company or ensuing between two or more parties.

I could safely say I knew a lot about silence. Often enough of the uncomfortable, lonely sort. I could list numerous such instances and they had all left lasting impressions in my heart. The entire time period where I did not understand Tsunami's gift properly, or that one time when Tenchi had pretty much died in the attempt of rescuing Ryoko from Kagato. I had felt it, literally so, and I did not wish to relive the experience anytime soon, or ever if it could be helped. I never liked to be lonely, I never liked the deafening silence that came with the void of any other living presence. That is why I usually tried to always immerse myself within friends and family, feeling all that much more at ease in the presence of others whose light shone with the vibrancy of life, keeping the darkness away from themselves and those around them in the process.

Yes, I knew about silence… and this one was one of the more enjoyable ones that I had encountered so far. Sitting side by side here with Rei, outside on the wooden porch in the cool night air, yet the temperature not really touching me. That had been different just a few minutes ago when my inner self was in full agreement with the physical outsides effect the occasional rather biting wind for this time of year had on me. However, it had just taken a couple of words exchanged, preceding that a heartily exchange of genuine amusement, in order to placate the negative effect my foolish actions from earlier had had on the tentative relationship - entirely platonic… so far - that had formed between the older miko and myself.

I was feeling gratifying relief at the easy forgiveness earned by the raven-haired miko. In my opinion, her anger was quite justified. What I had done was stupid, disregarding her privacy and intruding on a matter obviously dragging up past memories that didn't want to be dragged up to begin with. I could have handled that much better. It was in these moments that I became very aware how much of life's lessons I had missed. My childhood drastically cut short I had been forced to grow up much faster. While physically that had been an unavoidable side effect, especially as of late, the mental side was a totally different matter. Maybe I had access now to most of Tsunami's memories and knowledge but even her human aspect had barely lived past the dawn of adulthood before becoming what she was today, and her elemental side was of a totally different nature to provide sufficient parallels.

Combined it ought to be enough, yet that missing gap that was still between us and always would be until our full assimilation, often was enough to ensue a lack of the complementation that we would have when fully joined. While a combination of many different origins, we were in no way perfect, even all of us put together. And I think Tsunami deliberately tried to let me learn my own lessons. I could understand that, even if I sometimes wished she would just give me a fair warning in advance.

*I did.*

True enough.

I glanced sideways at Rei, sitting there rather relaxed actually, staring of into the night sky. I could only speculate what was on the older girl's mind. It was amazing just how easily that crisis had been averted. All evening I had felt like I had just destroyed the tentative bonds forming between us. In a way, I should have known better. There was something far more… potent that tied us together - I actually had a pretty good idea by now what - and besides, Hino Rei was not someone to stay angry at someone for long. There was a gentle spirit underneath of all the outward aloofness that most people saw and took for the norm. I should know, the evening at the fair had given me a pretty good glimpse, as much as the days afterwards. I hardly believed the miko was so cheap as to make judgment because of one incident.

I had learned my lesson but regardless of that, I still remembered the reaction and the underlying pain in Rei's eyes earlier. Submerged in my misery, I had spent most of my time piercing together the few clues into a greater picture. And yet they still left some questions open. I wouldn't press though. There was something else I could do, which hopefully would earn me some trust and openness in response. Not that I wanted to drag up painful memories but the reaction from the incident today had only firmed my resolve that I should do something for my host. I just couldn't stand by, seeing people distressed like this. Especially if it involved family. I had my own experiences there.

"Otousan is into politics too," I said quietly, nonetheless disrupting the silence and making Rei look at me in evident surprise. It pretty much confirmed my superficial theory. "I've been raised into this world… but I never particularly cared. I neither loved nor hated it… but I never quite liked what it did to Otousan… or so many others I know. Politics can be a pretty harsh world. And it can change people, whether they want to or not."

It wasn't like I was lying. This was what it was like and right now it was rather irrelevant that I was talking about the greatest star-spanning empire this galaxy knew, or that my father was the Emperor himself… No, that didn't really matter and it was not the time to reveal this to the miko. Someday, maybe someday soon. I didn't like keeping secrets, not after the hurt it had cost me when I was too afraid to talk to my sister or extended family about Tsunami. But in this case, I herded my wiser counterpart's advise that it was better to wait for the moment.

As I said, that didn't really matter. I've seen and experienced firsthand what the exposure to the long debate over the succession after my parents mysterious disappearance about two years ago had done to our family unit. The wedges it had driven between us, the alienation that had taken place, the naked, carefully hidden and undeniable truths it had dragged up. It wasn't all the fault of those arrogant nobleman and noblewoman who had lost all perspective over the centuries and millennia… but it had certainly done its share.

Rei had contemplated my words for a long time. "Is that why you ran away?" Her tone wasn't judging by any measure, maybe actually understanding, compassionate. Obviously the shift in tactics was meeting with success. I didn't expect any grand revelations right now. And I had deduced most of what I needed to know already. The rest could wait for another time, when Rei was in the mood. I certainly wasn't going to push her, I never wanted to. Right now, all I wanted, was to give her some indication that I understood part of her pain. Without sufficient details, I couldn't be sure just how similar or different our experiences were but I hoped by opening up a little, to gain back some of the trust that at the very least had been scarred today.

"That's one of the reasons," I said, seeing no need to deny the words of the miko. "There is a lot more though…" I trailed off, looking up into purple eyes gazing back and for a short, startling moment I felt magnetically drawn to them…

Before Rei smiled pleasantly. I was so surprised, I could only stare down in wonder at the hand covering my own before slowly daring to look up again, seeing the same smile still there. "Why don't you tell me about that some other time? I made it a principle of mine not to dwell in the past… or at least for not too long and today has been rough enough on us."

With that she stood up and then extended her hand. "Shall we?" I was still caught unguarded by the sudden mood and topic shift. I had been pretty sure she'd address me on my open admission but it seemed like Rei had totally dropped the matter. The helping hand was just a gesture but it meant so much more. It was as much an outright invitation as I had ever gotten after pretty much dropping into the young miko's life.

With an answering smile that could have lit up the Imperial Palace back on Jurai, I took the offered hand and let myself be pulled up. It seemed the crisis was totally averted and by some miracle Rei had made the decision of wanting me to remain right there with her, regardless of my admission to, technically, having run away from home. I had believed to at least give some more explanations… but Rei had not even asked, regarding my reasons as unnecessary for the moment. It was almost as if she sensed my own reluctance, as if she knew instinctively that my reasons, whatever they were, could be trusted.

I knew that very moment, just what exactly I had felt upon our first meeting. And the realization both surprised and elated me.

******************************

(Rei)

Sitting in the main sanctuary of the Jinja, the chamber of the Sacred Fire, I stared into the flames that had guided me for so long, trying hard… and mostly unsuccessful to achieve a calm state of mind. Not that I felt troubled or something, I just couldn't find the right focus tonight. And if I was honest with myself, I knew the reason for that quite well.

Not a bad reason, mind you, not even coming close. Just a surprising one, a pleasant surprise. Not to mention quite a bit of confusion and mystery. Yes, I was thinking about Sasami again. She was out for the evening, said she had to "take care of something". The younger girl had appeared rather… apprehensive and it didn't take a genius to get the importance of whatever she had to "take care of". I hadn't made any fuss about it. In fact, I hadn't even thought about asking her for details. It wasn't like I was her mother or something…

No, but I was, at least legally, her chaperone now, and with all the mysteries surrounding my young assistant I should by all means be at least a little more curious. Oh, I was curious, all right. But not to the point where I felt threatened by the unknown factors. There was just no hint of wariness or worry about consequences. I simply trusted Sasami to tell me her secrets on her own time…

That was the most surprising realization I probably made in this last week. Instead of driving a wedge between us, the incident where Sasami had discovered the old photography that I kept carefully tugged away, we had actually gotten a lot closer. All hard feelings had been washed away in a mere instant and the following morning the event hadn't even been mentioned anymore. A part of me had wanted to stay angry, or at least sour at the younger girl. While I believed to have played my own part in the escalation of the situation, the fact remained that I should feel violated in my privacy.

I didn't though. For some strange reason, it didn't bother me that the younger girl seemed interested about my past. There was just no way she could have anything other than good intentions for doing so. To prove that I had actually gone and told her about my father, Kaidou and the… neglect that had always been there since I was little. I had never felt the need to express my feelings on the matter like that to anyone, not even my fellow Senshi. I didn't look back into the past. That was my principle. However, as hard as I tried this would always come up once in awhile, reminding me of those unpleasant childhood memories.

And with Sasami… I couldn't explain it, really, I couldn't. It felt… strangely comforting, relieving to talk to someone about it. Sure, if I had wanted to I could have gone to grandfather but I never felt the need to do that. It was in the past. There was nothing I could change about it now. And still, with the mysterious, young girl who had literally dropped right onto my life's doorstep, I was at ease. I could release the pent-up frustration and melancholy those painful memories stirred up and I knew they would be understood, they would be safe with her.

It was yet another mystery about my new companion.

By now, I felt no trouble in actually calling her friend. As I said, the incident had actually managed to bring us closer and I had learned some small things about her in return. A kindred spirit. A mixture of emotions was tied to the term. Usually that is how I saw my companions, my friends. However, I couldn't shake of the feeling that something far… deeper was there, connecting us. No, I already knew that. It was the nature of that connection that… scared me a little, but strangely enough excited me. While I tried hard to suppress the latter reaction, it was getting harder with each day and with each moment spent around the vivid, cheerful spirit filling the space of Hikawa Jinja these days.

I missed her presence already, which might be one of the reasons for my lack of focus. The place seemed empty without her. Strange how that can happen after not even a month…

I shook my head forcefully. I would not go through that again. I had come to a decision about this a long time ago. This kind of commitment was not for me. It would just end up hurting us both. I would not be so greedy. The friendship that had formed between us was already precious to me. If I wanted more, I knew it would be messed up, again. It was best to stay the way it was right now. Yes, that was for the best.

Heaving a sigh at my inability to achieve a proper frame of my mind, my thoughts wandering too aimlessly, I got up from my position and stretched, relieving some of the tension that had resulted from minutes of lacking success to meditate. I actually had allowed myself to consider it again, did I not? Despite my unwillingness to do just that. Had I not vowed to myself to never make that mistake… But, that had been before I've seen the relationship between Usagi and Mamoru develop and fare against all odds. The loneliness in me had longed for something like that. Still, a love like that, how often did this happen? What…

I gritted my teeth in annoyance, realizing that I was losing myself once more in the familiar spiral. Even now, when Sasami wasn't around, she was affecting me in this way. Maybe I should put a bit more distance between us. The thought was as quickly discarded as it was produced. Maybe even faster. An idea simply impossible to accept. It wasn't like I could just sent her away for awhile. Not even was the thought unbearable, but also the fact remained that Sasami was now officially registered, as far as the authorities went, as part of this household and thus I was responsible for her. When Ami had called me back about the matter of the social worker that had announced a visit, I was as surprised as our resident genius had been at the news she had for me.

I had been pissed enough that someone could harbor any ill intentions against the gentle blue-haired girl. She was friendly to anyone, any customer and visitor, be they ever so grumpy. That someone actually would spell trouble for her was beyond me and if I ever managed to track down the person who had involved the authorities in this… well, I wasn't sure what I would do but it surely wouldn't be pleasant. Furious as I was about that, I was unprepared for Ami telling me that she actually had found a file for one Masaki Sasami… A file that was as mysterious and non-saying as the girl herself.

While adequate for the authorities, Ami had easily figured out that it was actually a very well faked one. It shouldn't have surprised me. The exact data was irrelevant. Mainly because I was pretty sure that birthplace, family etc. were made up. Ami concluded that it had obviously been made by someone who understood what they were doing, a bit sloppy at some points but enough to slip past the notice of a casual examination. Well, Sasami had told me that she came from a political family, so I shouldn't be surprised to find a fake ID and such stuff.

It was disappointing though, since I had hoped to learn some more things about my new assistant. Ami had offered to look a bit more into the matter but I had declined, much to my own surprise. The incident had taught us both not to be too nosy. Sasami would tell me eventually. She had already began to open up after all, and I was confident enough in the girl's innocence to placate Ami's concerns.

Rationalizing that I wouldn't get any meditation done today, I left the room, seeking some other form of occupation until Sasami got back. I had really gotten too used to her, I mused. Can't escape now, can you. Just have to go with the flow. It was hard to argue with those thoughts. Whatever fate had planned for Sasami and I, I doubted there was something I could do about it. That tiny, repressed and lonely part didn't want to. Not that I was anywhere near ready to admit that out loud…

******************************

(Sasami)

Once again I found myself in the kitchen during the early hours of the morning. Whistling a happy tune, I didn't need to pay much attention to what my hands were doing. The motions coming flawlessly together by years of training-developed instincts. There was nothing special about today's breakfast, allowing my thoughts to wander in different directions, rather than focusing on the preparations.

And there was enough to think about. On the one hand what I had learned yesterday still spooked around my head and would probably always remain in the background with Tsunami being so concerned about it and I could only understand that concern too well. I had been eager to learn what had my other half so absent-minded and troubled most of the time. Of course, I had also been somewhat apprehensive when Tsunami finally relented and that apprehension had been well founded.

At first, I had been rather awed at actually visiting Earth's Yggdrasil and was wondering at the course of action. Obviously Tsunami wanted to explain the situation to me rather than just letting me access her memories, thoughts and feelings. In a way I was grateful for that. The environment had been soothing to me, the many impressions of the vivid forest and the magnificent tree had managed to calm my mind. True, not that I hadn't seen a Life Tree before, I was in the process of assimilating with one, but there were some difference between Tsunami and most other Yggdrasil. This was the first time I had met one of the normal spirits in person. Martel was a kind woman, or so it seemed, and had greeted me rather warmly.

However, that is where most of the pleasant memories ended. I had heard about the ancient seal, holding one of the most malevolent creatures captive that the galaxy, maybe the universe as a whole had ever seen. From Tsunami's memories I knew about the chaos and destruction this monster had wrought upon Earth hundreds of millennia ago, just as much as I knew about the effort and sacrifices it had taken to seal it away.

No wonder Tsunami was worried. My mind still boggled at the idea that in just a few years time the ancient seal was weakened enough for the creature, known as Pandora to the people of those old times, to make a most likely successful attempt at escape. A shudder run down my spine, just thinking about the fear the human memories of Tsunami inspired. It was hard to believe. While still maintaining most of her humanity in spirit, the merge between her and her namesake tree self on Jurai had made her a lot less submissive to such emotions. Usually Tsunami had a calm, balanced nature, seldom swayed by extreme emotions. That had often been an anchor for me lately. Now the level of concern from my other half was far beyond normal levels and not helping at all to calm my own nerves.

I couldn't debate what was worst though. The fact that something so gigantic it put even Tokimi to shame was about to assault not only Earth but most likely the rest of life as a whole, or that there was nothing that could be done about it. I admit, I did not understand all the details and factors. What I could relate to were only the glimpses of memory that I had from Tsunami. I understood though that the seal in itself was a delicate matter. Tempering with it was like trying to extinguish a fire by pouring oil over it. It left me feeling helpless… A sentiment shared all the way by my nominal counterpart.

On the other hand there was the much more enjoyable. Returning home - a term that had become much more meaning as well - rather late, I had not expected to find anyone still up. But there had been Rei, sitting on the front porch, at such a late hour, patiently waiting. There hadn't been an inquiry about where I had been for so long. Instead all that I could detect was relief at my return, a reaction that warmed my heart considerably, chasing away the dark clouds that had clustered around my mind since the revelations of the two life tree dryads earlier. Rei had been unmistakably glad that I was back. Not so much because she had been worried, but more because… she missed my presence.

At first I had thought I had misinterpreted it but thinking back on the last week and the steadily growing… affection between us. There was a genuine friendship now and Rei seemed to make no effort to deny it. Neither in front of strangers or her friends, who I had met briefly, their own time occupying them equally as much as Rei at the moment. Those that I met seemed to be very nice though. Especially the girl named Usagi. They were all reincarnated star children, or so Tsunami had deduced, but the blonde seemed to have actually caused an interesting reaction of nostalgic interest. Not that I had that much trouble seeing the similarities between her and Tsunami's sister. But that wasn't of much importance now.

It had been a cause of much discussion between my other half and me, whether or not it would be wise to tell them eventually what lay in store for them. I felt like we should, I felt I should at least tell Rei… However, Tsunami had been surprisingly adamant about the matter. There was little to be done at this point and revealing our knowledge would only serve to throw their peaceful lives into disorder. Martel had obviously told her about what the Senshi of this age had gone through in recent years and I could sympathize that they deserved some quiet. Nonetheless…

I sighed in defeat. I wouldn't win that argument with Tsunami. And she had been doing this for many, many millennia now. Sacrifices for the greater good, just like the current one of leaving Jurai behind. It pained her, I could tell, but usually she had always been right in the past. I had to simply trust her on this and that had been something I had learned to do in recent years.

And so I rather concentrated on more pleasant memories. Like the growing relationship between Rei and myself. I had realized it that night, after the incident with the photo. I couldn't deny it anymore. The feeling was just like Tenchi and yet… far stronger in many ways.

"What are you going to do about this?" My concentration didn't waver at the sudden, ghostly appearance but I spared Tsunami a glance. I had expected her to ask me about this situation. I was aware that it was somewhat complicated with having to consider our impending assimilation. Tsunami smiled, knowing my thoughts immediately. "Not like that. Sasami-chan, you shouldn't be worried that I disapprove. First of all it is your life. And all decisions that we make individually will be absorbed into our final form. It was the same when I underwent this the first time. I might be less human right now but I still loved and still do love my sister and friends from that time. Nothing will be lost."

I smiled shyly. "I know that. I just keep feeling like I make decisions for us both this way." With a shrug I added eventually, "Not that it matters right now. I won't rush into this. I'm pretty sure about my feelings but Rei seems rather reluctant to admit anything beyond friendship. I'm sure she must have felt something by now… It's no surprise though, considering what she went through." It pained me to think about what Rei told me about her experience with love, both from family and someone she considered… close. There was no telling what pushing the relationship onwards by force could result in. And I had learned my lesson with Tenchi anyway. Young and naïve as I had been, I had wanted too much, too fast, and ended up influencing the outcome just as much as it had been predetermined. I wouldn't make that mistake again.

There was enough time for this to grow. And eventually, just maybe I would find the place where I truly belonged to after all.

*You have grown up a lot,* Tsunami said gently, her expression almost motherly.

I giggled at that. "Hai. It comes with the age." The tone was teasing, unlike the usual residential regret of growing up as fast as I had. It wasn't just to placate Tsunami's guilt though but at the moment, I did feel at ease about the circumstances. There was nothing to be changed about that anyway, and I had learned my own lessons through this, lessons that might as well help me now in pursuing something that could turn out to be quite… wonderful.

******************************

<Higurashi Shrine, somewhere else in Tokyo (Sango)>

The morning was a beautiful one, the sunrise casting the city in a magnificent myriad of colors. Even after spending over a year in this age, I found myself still mesmerized at the sheer magnitude of what was called the city of Tokyo. So unlike what I had known, what I had thought possible to begin with. The state of human evolution into an industrial and technological highly advanced age was hard to believe for one from some half millennia ago. To say that I had been impressed upon first setting foot into this era would be a gross understatement. Such a shame though that only recently I had begun to feel the need to actually learn about this age and all its wonders. The curiosity that had been clouded by listlessness caused by the ordeal which's memory I had been fleeing from.

Lately I found myself often sitting here on the roof of the housing adjourned to the small shrine. The tranquility and peace of the morning helped to soothe my mind, taking it away from the dark places and the nightmares still haunting my sleep despite all the efforts of my companion. I couldn't discern if they became less or actually more in recent days. I would prefer to say the former but could not quite deny the latter either. Too much reminded me here of what I had both lost and endured in the long and brutal conflict waged in my home era with the Half-Youkai Naraku… and its eventual conclusion. A conclusion that was as much brutal as it was bloody, not to mention laced with sacrifices left and right that left us feeling none to happy after emerging the nominal victors. A war had no victors, only survivors.

It was a good thing that we were leaving. Not that I wasn't grateful for the kindness with which Kagome's family had treated me, welcoming me into their midst like their own without hardly batting an eye. And to be fair, I was glad that I had been able to live with a family that had enough ties to the traditional rather than some of the modern age ones where I would have found it much more difficult to fit in.

As it was, my training as a youkai taijiya had included enough spiritual practice that I found myself easily able to lend a hand to the kind if somewhat eccentric priest of the Higurashi Jinja. True, many things had changed over the course of the centuries, in both human evolution and the practice of religion. Some of that was quite mind-boggling to me. And yet I found Kagome's grandfather to be of a rather traditional, altruistic branch who more than welcomed and favored my insight of my own training.

Then there were of course the other members of Kagome's family. Namely her mother, a woman who I had no trouble in drawing a resemblance to my companion in points of character. She was a very friendly sort that was easy to get along with. I had learned a great deal from her, not just helping around the house but also in more than a few private talks that aided me enormously in fitting in with is age's many facet.

And little Souta… Well, just seeing him and Kagome interact reminded me of Kohaku and myself. Which in turn of served to make me fall into melancholy and depression. I cursed myself for that, knowing that I should rather be happy for them, but could hardly help it. How should I after all that happened after all? After the choice I had been forced to make. One love for another? One dear life for another? How could I not remember the untroubled times spent back at our village, where Kohaku and I had fooled around in similar displays of sibling rivalry and affection. It was still too painful to recall… and I wasn't sure if it would ever get better.

Yes, it was surely best to leave. I had grown to like this place and almost felt like part of the family already but too many things here sparked memories of the kind I would rather have buried than remembered. For over a year now I had sought to come to terms with what had transpired in the final stages of the battle with Naraku. And while especially Kagome's patient caring had done much to quench the flames of shame, loss and revulsion, I was hardly close to salvation. I probably would never be. That which happened was a part of my life, an undeniable circumstance of my past which I would have to accept eventually and let go so that I could live once again, to start a new life from the ashes left behind. Yet, I could not really let go. Not when everything here constantly reminded me of what I had lost. What we had lost… because Kagome, I could tell that without asking, was just as affected as I was. The tree, the well… Marks and reminders of the age we had left behind, the sacrifices we had left behind still haunting us.

A faint smile crept into my face as I spotted my companion, exiting the house below, with Kirara following close behind. She did not look around, instead turning around right away to glance up to my place on the roof, favoring me with one of her patent kind smiles that had many take a fast liking to her in my era. Many including myself. It was more strained nowadays. No doubt tainted by the same reasons I myself could not muster the will to be carefree and happy nowadays.

With hardly any effort I stood up and casually jumped down to ground level, years of training permitting me such feats with ease. "Good morning, Kagome-chan," I greeted and without waiting for a reply pulled her close in for a kiss that lasted well into several seconds and that made the appliance of the term "good morning kiss" appear horribly understated.

"Good morning, Sango-chan," Kagome replied when we finally parted, her breath somewhat hitched and her face just the tiniest bit flushed. She was used to it by now and hardly all so embarrassed as she had been at the beginning. Still, at times I could still manage to bring some coloring to her cheeks which was undeniable worth the effort. "You were up early."

Kagome's tone implied more than her words said. The dark-haired miko had clearly missed me upon waking. We had become so used to having the other close that we more or less depended on it. "Gomen, I felt somewhat restless this morning."

My lover inclined her head questioningly. "Nervous?"

It was easy to fathom what she was asking about. After all I had just spent reflecting on the matter myself. "Not really. I think a change will do us good. Not that I don't like it here, but…"

Before I could continue, Kagome had put a finger on my lips, effectively silencing me with that and a tender, understanding look. "I know," was all she said and yet I could see so much more in brown eyes that held a wisdom far beyond that which should apply to someone of our age. No doubt the result of her final merging with Kikyou but also the weight of seeing the cruelties of life firsthand and much too soon for someone so young. I was aware that Kagome had pondered to have us move away right after our return but was torn in her decision. She no doubt saw the need to leave the past behind but didn't want to leave her family behind so soon.

Now that she had finished with what they called Junior High School education - after repeating the year mostly spent in my era - we were now both more than ready to seek a different, a new path in life. I had to admit while the year spent here with Kagome's family had served to constantly remind of what we had left behind, it had also given me a sense of stability. I had been able to slowly get used to this time and age instead of rushing into things… In retro perspective that was probably a good thing.

Kirara started to head inside. Wordlessly Kagome and I both turned to follow and finish our last preparations, hands linking together with the familiarity of over a year of constant and deep companionship, giving us both a sense of shelter in each other's presence.

******************************

<Hikawa Jinja (Rei)>

There was definitely an advantage having a cook in your household, even more so one whose skill level was on par with Makoto's, if not - and believe me I had not thought that was possible sometime ago - even exceeding it. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, you name it. Every time Sasami did her magic in the kitchen you were left very much sated and conflicted between either being thoroughly energize to tackle any tasks the day would confront you with, or reveling too much in the content feeling the meals were giving you. And magic it was indeed because how else could you describe those wonders of culinary deliciousness?

I chuckled to myself at the odd ways my thoughts traveled this morning. Not that I would deny their logic. Far from it. In fact, going about the morning ritual of preparing for the day, I had just finished another such "magic meal" by my nominal assistant. And it would indeed be a day where I could use all of the energy her meals tended to supply. How exactly I had allowed myself to be talked into this was still beyond me but nonetheless here I was, ready to greet yet another addition to these grounds that had had a lone or at best a duo of caretakers for the last several decades.

Oh, who was I fooling? It was Sasami's idea and by now I was fairly accustomed to the fact that even if I had sufficient arguments against them, I would usually yield to her suggestions. After all, the young girl had proven to be an enormous relief in many fields of my life. Her teaching in the Shinto faith was crude, sporting many unusual practices - which no less amended to be effective in the end - and could adept very quickly. Further more, her friendly, usual cheerful manner had - how to put that without sounding too exaggerating? - considerably boosted Hikawa's reputation. And that when I had thought Grandfather's illness would produce quite the opposite effect.

I even had had more times to actually spent studying and at campus these last days, feeling more secure now that Sasami could handle herself. She seemed to pick up on base and advanced principles of my chosen faith that I had practiced and learned for years in the blink of an eye, quite literally. Sometimes I wondered if the younger girl was really somehow divinely guided or an angel in disguise. I would not totally dismiss the notion because her aura suggested at anything but ordinary.

While I had never thought her to be… dangerous - a concept that seemed to go against the very nature of her existence as any amateur spiritualist could have perceived easily -, now even my earlier, base suspicions had all but evaporated. And as fast the speed with which our friendship was developing seemed, I was aware that I would miss her terribly if she were to be gone.

Then again. I had felt the same after meeting my fellow comrades, the other Senshi, yet not too such an extent and such speed. This was a fateful encounter indeed, I was not blind to that. Just how fateful I was still wondering about…

My mental reflections were brought to a halt upon discovering in dismay yet another testament that for all her possible divinity, Masaki Sasami had a weird sense of mischief, involving to play the occasional practical joke here and there. As it was, the traditional miko garb, the robes that would mark me as one of my current station, were gone… and I was pretty sure I would not find any of the spare ones in time. Instead of the traditional white and red what I found brought a smile of mixed affection and bemused irritation to my face.

The robe was somewhere in cross a style between that of a miko and that of a priest - or priestess in this case, close to the intricate designs of a standard kimono while it had something more… royal. Even though I thought the term odd, it was the only one that seemed to fit. And not just because the color tone was off a royal blue, highlighted by the fiery red at collar and sleeves. There were curious designs all over it. Little white animals, bird-like, the closest resemblance being somewhere near an eagle, crossed with a butterfly... Actually, I was rather versed in ornithology and I could neither draw from that nor from my past life - who had encountered a considerable greater variety of species - any accurate determination of the kind of creature.

It was probably not even meant to resemble anything. Just a design. I shook off the feeling that it meant something more. There was also another object I had spotted. The analogy to the hat of a priest was hard to mistake but actually the head garment was more like a laurel wreath, well without there being any laurel… as much as I could tell. It was of some kind of leaves or other natural material, I determined, having picked it up and running my fingers alongside the curious article. While not quite laurel, the term wreath could easily be applied as it would fit around the head of the owner quite nicely. The front could be easily made out as the material was woven into a triangular shape pointed downwards.

All in all, this was rather beautiful and, as much as I tried not to be affected, efficiently touching. Now, I knew for a fact that Hikawa Jinja did not own this and had trouble thinking Sasami could have purchased it on her own. First because I had never seen a style quite so unique before and didn't believe it to be casually sold in the next clothes shop around the corner… and even if, the price would probably far exceed which the younger girl should have been able to afford. Which left only the option that this might be her own, in some manner… Yet another mystery to be added to my charming assistant.

That was a thought to be pondered later though. Our guests would arrive soon and while I still wasn't quite certain of the younger girl's suggestion it did have some merit and I would at least reserve judgment whether or not the two girls, who would come as "exchange mikos" on recommendation by a priest from a another shrine that my grandfather knew quite well, would serve to be quite as potentially gifted as indicated and thus a further aid. The offer was made in the vague hopes that a change of climate would do the priest's granddaughter and one of her friends to some good, something new to leave behind what sounded like some tragedy in their recent past.

A month ago, I would have declined. But having Sasami around had showed me that I could very well share my own dream with others and accept their aid. If anything, I owed Sasami and her efforts, that I was willing to at least see for myself who those Higurashi Kagome and her companion were.

Grabbing a hold of the curious robes, I shrugged in defeat, knowing I had not the time to find anything else. And besides, this had been Sasami's idea to begin with. And so I slipped into the fine garments with a nonchalant, "Well, let's humor her, shall we?" that came from the experience of roughly one month spent around Sasami and the wisdom that came with it. The wisdom that going along with that little "prank" - though one could mistakes this instant more as a gift - was inevitable. Best to just show our potential additions just who they got themselves involved with.

******************************

(Sasami)

The climate had begun to stabilize over the last days. Unfortunately, I knew as much of the reasons as I knew that such chaotic temperature difference would be more frequent in the following months and years to come. The planet was reacting, in dismay and more than a certain amount of trepidation, to what would be coming, soon.

I closed my eyes for a moment, applying one of the techniques I had learnt from Aunt Funaho, centering my thoughts on the here and now instead of dwelling on the past or in this case dreading the future. All too often I had found myself doing so. As much as I tried to be happy within the present, whenever I was alone or without sufficient distraction my thoughts tended to wander along darker paths, reflection and vision alike, all of which rarely being pleasant. In that aspect our assimilation proved none too helpful either. While our joining gave us a sense of eternal companionship, Tsunami herself had always been prone too worrying too much about events past and forthcoming. Other than her sister who would live every day with the unwavering hope of a brighter future. Both of us had tried to be like that but often found ourselves failing more than we would like to admit.

At least, I decided, it would soon not be so lonely anymore around here. Not that I wasn't content with Rei and her grandfather. However, there were times, when Rei was away to college and such, that the shrine tended to feel like Tsunami had after our departure from Jurai. Vivid but yet not sufficient to hold my personal shadows at bay… I was being ungrateful just thinking that, yet I couldn't entirely help it. It was selfish, maybe the one true thing that I would readily admit to being such, and still I needed the company of others. The warmth and love of family, the light of loved ones. I tried to give it in return but what good was it if no one was there… Which wasn't true anymore. Rei was there and… her presence alone was enough to make me feel immensely lighter, taking away the many burdens I always felt weighing down on my shoulders…

I exhaled lightly, having found my center, once more with the help of but a mere thought regarding the raven-haired miko. Fascinating, enthralling and altogether titillating. A gentle, peaceful smile played around my lips as I recalled the image of the fair beauty who was - and that was no metaphorical exaggeration - the very heart of this shrine. She was the physical avatar of the spirit residing here and as such none of those that had come before her could have hoped to develop a stronger connection to this place.

Suddenly becoming aware of other presences in my immediate vicinity, my eyes blinked open and I could not help but blush in embarrassment being caught in such entranced contemplation which was only half the attempted meditation. If I had truly been meditating, I would have sensed their arrival earlier. Simply put, I had been more daydreaming than meditating. Not even to begin with the fact that I had currently been standing upright, leaning on my broom with which I had been cleaning just a few minutes before…

Giggling nervously I quickly covered my embarrassment with a cheerful smile and wave of my free hand. "Ohiyo!" The two girls were clad in casual clothing. Both were black-haired but with enough superficial difference to tell them apart. The one on the left wore her hair open, falling past her shoulders, wearing a combination of a blue shirt and white miniskirt in typical Japanese school uniform fashion. She had light brown eyes, just like her companion. The girl on her right was clad more like someone who was expecting to move any given moment with their utmost capacity. Convenient instead of formal. Black leather pants and a shirt. I wouldn't define it as much tomboyish as the attire chosen by a warrior. Her hair that had a lighter shade than her companions, coming close to an actual brown with the right bit of illumination, was fittingly tied into a braid.

They made a striking contrast to one spiritually gifted. Their inner spirits were honed and sharpened, and I could tell that as much as I was measuring them within the space of a few moments, they were doing just the same which created a respectful but somewhat vexing silence between us for but a mere second.

"Oh," I finally said, "You must be the ones from Higurashi Jinja, am I right?"

"Hai," the one with the darker hair and more… feminine style said. With her my senses were flaring actually. There was something particular… soothing about her. No doubt that she possessed great skill in the spiritual. "I am Higurashi Kagome, and this is Sango. We came here to seek a new beginning in our lives." She was also rather polite, I noted. With no word did she comment on my age or raise a question about my presence even though I was fairly sure Rei hadn't given her family any indication that someone else was already living here.

On the contrary, her companion was not so polite about it. "Excuse us, but you seem somewhat young to be the granddaughter of the priest who we were told to expect…" the one named Sango pointed out, earning herself a chiding look from the other girl. Bowing her head in apology, she relented. "What I meant to ask is if the one named Hino Rei is in attendance?"

I smiled non-judgmental much to the girl's relief. I dared not pry deeper. I've never been one to do so if it could be helped. The gifts at my disposal could probably reveal me much about their different paths. I did not wish to disturb their privacy if not necessary though. And just looking at the surface of her aura I could see that a terrible wrong had been done to this Sango, several actually, which had buried a colorful spirit under a mountain of bitterness, loathing and other such emotions, her sole real anchor being the other girl. For that last fact I didn't need to read auras. They were holding hands after all, doing nothing much to conceal that circumstance. That should be a dead giveaway for anyone with a little bit of imagination.

"Ah," I said at least, "I have only come recently to this shrine. I doubt you have heard about me. I am Sasami by the way." I extended my hand and found it willing shaken by the other miko - of that I was rather certain. "Rei-san has been so kind to take me in when I had no other place to stay and I've been helping her out since then."

"She sounds like a nice person," Kagome said, her eyes betraying the casual tone. In that one handshake alone I had felt the great spiritual potential in the other girl and I was certain she had glimpsed something of mine. This one had sharp senses, maybe even sharper than Rei at her current level, and I had a feeling it would be hard to hide my peculiar nature from her.

*She plays an important role though.*

Before I could ponder that ominous statement from my other half though, I could sense Rei emerging from the main building. "Ah," I said out loud. "And there would be Hino Rei, caretaker and head miko of the Hikawa Jinja." I gulped slightly at the glare - lacking real ire - leveled at me when Rei came into view but the sight was worth it. The garb I had… exchanged for her usual clothes was a gift I had received from Auntie Funaho for my last birthday celebrated on Jurai. It was a little bit too big for me to fit in yet and besides, it suited Rei even better. I could not help the humorous smile and did not try to veil my affection. Rei's glare did not vanish but there was a hint of affection there too, as if in reply to my own.

"Don't let the little Miko-chan fool you. She is not as innocent as she makes one believe," the raven-haired girl said aloud. However, as she stepped past me to greet the new arrivals, she whispered, "That was mean, missy. Extra chores for you." In a more gentle tone, she added though, "It's still beautiful though." Rei favored me with a quick grateful smile and then she was past. It took me a moment or two to compose myself again, my heart still fluttering.

******************************

(Kagome)

"Excuse my assistant, she means well. Really," the older girl said as she came to a halt some feet across from us. For a moment I thought of her in traditional miko robes instead of the strange… garb that she was wearing and could not deny the uncanny resemblance to my former incarnation as Kikyou. Hino Rei seemed to instinctually project all that you would expect from someone in her position, carrying herself with dignity and yet humbleness. I had at once the conviction that the Kikyou of old, before her tragic death, and this young woman would have gotten along well. And I didn't really need to access the latent memories that were a side effect of the final remerging of our soul.

"That's okay," I said simply. I had never been one of overt formalities and judging by the interaction between the older and younger girl, I had the distinct impression that they weren't really the traditional, close-minded sort that you often discovered when dealing with religion nowadays… not that there hadn't been enough sad examples in the older ages. The lack of openness in a religious concept that was supposed to be more a way of life than a religion itself, had been scandalizing when I first fully comprehended it after I was able to see the entire thing with new eyes. My visits in to the Sengoku Jidai had taught me a great deal of respecting the traditions that grandfather had always tried to teach me. But only after acquiring most of my past incarnation's memories and knowledge upon our final merge in the eve of Naraku's demise could I truly see that many who thought to understand their faith, were blind to the reality.

Kikyou had not just been a powerful priestess because she was gifted accordingly but even more so because she knew what to do with her gifts and what her faith really entitled. Many Japanese were not better than other practitioners of a different religion. Following prefabricated wisdoms without ever really understanding what they meant.

Hino Rei though seemed to know very well that there was much more out there in life than the classical and traditional Shinto faith covered. True, Shinto - combined with Buddhist - faith might as well come closest to the workings of the world, if taken strictly and applying the core teachings instead of the many slogans found nowadays. But even we could not claim to know everything, neither could we claim our faith to be perfect and without flaws… or to put it better, missing certain aspects. And without really needing to ask, I could tell that Hino Rei had made similar discoveries over the years.

For a few moments we stood like this in silence, each measuring the other. I wondered what the other girl was thinking about me. I knew that coming back into this time for good, many had commented on the change that had overcome me. In truth I did not so much saw me as having changed, but rather more having matured, grown a little wiser with the experiences, both good and bad, that I had made in the past. Without those adventures I would probably have never discovered my potential, always leading the bleak life of a normal schoolgirl. The typical example of Japanese society…

There had been times I wished to never having fallen into that well but then I would remember all the good that had come with the traumatizing and bad, and I would reconsider that notion. I couldn't see myself going back to such a simple life, unaware of the world around us, and frankly I didn't want to.

"A nice style," the silence was eventually broken by Sango with this dry comment, laced with a little bit of humor that one saw so scarcely from her these days. She had really had it hardest from all of us and it was mostly for her sake that I had so readily agreed to Grandfather's idea. For once he actually had had a good one…

I smiled in reply to my companion's remark. While the style of the raven-haired girl's robes was somewhat like a kimono, I had not seen something like that in this time and age, at least not in the normal small and unimportant shrine. To me, it appeared more like the formal clothing of royal house. And the laurel around her head was surely not standard fashion for a miko. "I think it's nice."

As if on cue, the younger girl with the very curious and mysterious aura piped up in ready agreement. "Isn't it? Where did you find that, Rei-oneechan?" The innocent look in the pinkish-red eyes could have fooled me, really, it nearly did… If not for the withering stare leveled from older upon younger miko. Thus the equally innocent-seeming batting of eyelashes made me chuckle involuntarily.

Rei seemed to bristle for a moment, displaying a fierce temper the likes that I could sympathize with albeit having become much more controlled in recent years. Then she sagged her shoulders in defeat and in a dry tone complained, "Oh, have fun with your hostess, will you not?"

Both Sango and the younger Sasami joined into the genuine laughter and after awhile even Rei's resolve crumbled and she joined into the casual display of kinship so easily displayed. Here we were, two groups of relative strangers, meeting for the first time, and we were joking about the interesting choice of clothing of our new hostess, apparently some kind of jest played by her younger apprentice or assistant or whatever position she held. It was nice to know that our lives hadn't turned so bleak that we could no longer enjoy such moments.

My instincts, that I had learned to trust more than in fifteen years before my first travel to the past, told me, however, that something far deeper had just transpired than just casual and gentle amusement. There was a connection here between us that was intriguing. This meeting was not mere coincidence, it was fated. That much I had at once been able to perceive. There was an easy kinship immediately forming.

That was something to be contemplated for another time though as the current episode was interrupted by a soft mewling sound that drew our hostess' and her younger friend's attention. I looked down and noted that Kirara who had been trotting behind us before was pacing over to the young blue-haired girl. That was odd enough, considering that the cat Youkai did not immediately trust everyone, but here she was, all but purring and rubbing against the younger girl's legs upon reaching her.

I shared a look with Sango who was equally baffled and felt myself confirmed in my earlier estimation of Sasami's aura… and the strange lack of disturbance that any would inflict upon surroundings when not totally in harmony with the Wa of the place. And she had said herself she hadn't been here long either. The innocent-seeming girl was indeed mysterious but by no means dangerous or harboring ill intentions, that I could tell with an immediate clarity that startled me. Considering all this, maybe it wasn't all that surprising to see Kirara act like this.

"What is that?" Rei asked with a look of scrutiny, studying Kirara intently for a moment. "Some type of cat?"

In the meantime Sasami had picked up Kirara, favoring her with an adoring smile and settled the smaller form of the Youkai on her right shoulder where she began to purr contently as if she never had done anything else than sitting there… which baffled both Sango and I even further.

Recovering from the shock, my companion replied awkwardly, "Something like that." I doubted either of the two believed that. They were both gifted and skilled way beyond what was to be considered normal in this day and age. It was a good thing though that Kirara's current state was not really a guise to hide her true self but simply a different form, which was not so easily perceived.

Rei seemed to take Sasami's unspoken approval as reason enough to not ask any more questions for the moment. Turning around she indicated for us to follow with a wave of her hand. "As long as it doesn't scare the birds away… Come on, girls, let us get you inside. We can talk more when you are settled."

******************************

<Crown Fruit Parlor (Rei)>

"We are really sorry this comes so late. But you know, studying and all that…"

I glanced with a mixture of exasperation and incredulity at the blonde on the other side of the booth. While the apologetic behavior was becoming tiresome, hearing Usagi talk about studying like it was something important, was still something that had the quality of mind-boggling. I suppose it is just a matter of finding the right motivation, I thought to myself. Our Princess had surprised us all when applying for Junior College with the intention of taking Art classes. However, if you looked a bit more closely you would easily see that she had improved in exponential leaps after taking the club in High School.

"Usagi. I told you already, it's alright. I barely had time myself, and things are just now starting to wind down a bit." Actually, they were winding down immensely. It had been a little more than a week after the new additions to Hikawa Jinja had arrived and between the four of us the hectic that had controlled my life in the last month had quieted down to bearable levels. I actually had time to concentrate more on my studies and catch up on the lost time of the last month. I could now easily go out in the morning for lectures, since the other three were always around.

As for their education… Well, I wasn't sure about Sango but Kagome had barely finished Junior High School as far as I knew, repeating a year, and had voiced no clear intent on higher education. I wasn't quite sure if it suited her anyway. From all the new help acquired throughout the last month, Kagome possessed the most obvious knowledge and skill. I wasn't so sure about Sasami's level since I had the impression she was hiding a lot of what she actually knew and could do, but Kagome was another story. It was easy to see that she was the granddaughter of a fellow Shinto priest. I had an easy time acknowledging her as an equal. In fact her profound knowledge about herbs was better than mine. She was a natural-born miko and would make a fine priestess one day.

"That is good to hear," Ami said from her place next to me. "And we know how it is. That's the first time we've all been together since March." She glanced down at her watch with a frown. "And I barely have much time to be doing this." I could sympathize. From all of us, Ami had it even harder than me in that first month of new education. Of course she had applied for Tokyo University to further her medical studies and coupled with that she was working at her mother's hospital part time as well as occasionally helping Setsuna with the project she had been indulging in for over two years now. The rebuilding of the Mugen Gakuen.

"Now, Ami-chan, I'm sure we have time to at least have a small party for Rei-chan," Makoto admonished from where she was squashed in between Minako and Usagi, the latter having claimed the window seat. Said party consisted of some drinks and two cakes currently both about half-emptied... It didn't need to be said who ate most of them. "This is REALLY good, Sasami-chan," the brunette admitted appreciatively, chewing on her piece. Usagi nodded vigorously in consent with our groups nominal cook. The others murmured in agreement. I couldn't quite hide a grin. It was a totally new event for Makoto's cooking to be contested but having sampled Sasami's skills for about a month now, I was not all too surprised.

"Yes, you are so lucky," Minako said with an envious glance in Sasami's direction, who was blushing from the praise. "Having someone who can cook for you constantly and this good…" She sighed. "All the fame, and I still can't do a decent meal." And when she grabbed for the next piece, having just finished hers, and collided with Usagi who had done the same. The resulting tugging war that ensued was ignored by the rest of the table with polite indifference.

I think we all needed some carefree event like that. Especially Minako had become far too… serious, too distant. It pained me to see her like that on more than one occasion. Despite being serious and mature than it came to Senshi matters, she had always been a vibrant girl. Displays of such childish behavior were rare these days and thus all of us ignored it, actually happy about them. She really needed to have some success in her love life, I concluded sadly, my own gaze involuntarily drawn to the form of the younger girl on my other side, giggling at the antics of my Princess and leader. When I caught myself for staring, I quickly averted my eyes before it had any noticeable outward effects. It was enough to struggle by myself with my growing… attraction… for the younger girl. Didn't need to let the others know.

It was becoming harder and harder to ignore the growing affection between us. Especially with the arrivals of Kagome and Sango. Those two didn't make much of a secret about their relationship. Not that I was judgmental or something. Having spent enough time around Haruka and Michiru I think all of us had come to a point where we viewed same sex relationships as a natural circumstances that needed no further contemplation. Those two were rather open about it though, much more so than Japanese society would normally accept. I wasn't that narrow-minded. It was apparent in their aura alone that a lot about their relationship was about comfort and necessity. There had been something in their past that had been pretty traumatizing, especially in Sango's case, and so they provided each other with a much needed anchor.

Minako eventually came out victorious in the struggle, making Usagi pout in a show of over-dramatized sulking and grabbed another piece, this time from Makoto's cake.

"Geez," Makoto commented dryly, "I think I should be offended." The playful smile belied her reaction to suddenly becoming the replacement choice and the look she and Sasami shared was one of mutual acknowledgment of the other's skill. It was not hard to believe that they had taken an instant liking to each other. Actually all of the other's had. They knew about Sasami staying with me by now of course, but I had been a bit reluctant to take her along for what was supposed to be a private Inner Senshi "party". Somehow I had the undeniable conviction though that I owed the blue-haired girl.

It showed just how far we had come to grow accustomed too each other and it wouldn't be too long before the others would pick up on the significance of bringing someone along for what was supposed to be an event for our inner circle only… Minako had already given us a speculative look that all but said she knew right away what was going on. Dreadful, I tell you. For all her bad luck with own relationships, applying her skills to others had an almost hundred percent efficiency.

All at once Usagi stopped devouring her piece of cake and stared at Sasami. Or more like the plush cat that she tended to carry around almost permanently… well, recently it was often Sango's strange pet creature - who's exact nature I still couldn't discern -, called Kirara, that followed her around. Obviously Usagi hadn't paid attention to the toy kitten before, but now her eyes lit up in childish glee. Some of the quirks that still lurked through her more serious, humbling behavior here and there. We wouldn't have it any other way, I suppose. Sometimes her resemblance to Serenity these days was… disquieting. We had all gotten so used to the quirky, cheerful blonde that it needed some getting used to, to see her really act more and more than a Princess and future Queen. These moments were assurance enough that Usagi still was herself underneath it all.

"Oh, how kawaii," Usagi exclaimed, "Where did you get that?"

Sasami smiled happily, patting her plush kitten. "Rei-chan won it from me when we went to the fair on her birthday." She rewarded me with a fond and grateful look that threatened to tear apart my resolve with hardly any effort. Did she have to bring that up now? And give such a direct answer…

Predictably Usagi's eyes widened. "The one in Harumi? No way!" The blonde turned with an accusing expression towards me that made me wince without meaning too. "That's not fair! You went to the fair without us! And you even got her a…" She trailed off and seemed to think about what she was going to say, looking back and forth between us, before focusing on me again with wonder, "… gift?" she finished.

I was aware that everyone was looking at me now as if I had just done something totally out of character… Fine, I was never one to be known for giving out gifts or going out of my way to win some prize for someone. That is, of course, because I never had someone who was worth the effort… I rethought the statement and scowled slightly at the implications.

Huffing I did what I could best. Relying on my temper to divert the embarrassment I felt just now rushing to my face. "Yes, a gift," I shot back at Usagi, "So what about it? Am I not allowed to do get a new friend who just tried to make me feel a bit better something in return?" The moment the words slipped out and I realized how that sounded, I wished I could take it back.

Usagi didn't react for quite some time before eventually settling back into her seat, a small, knowing smile playing over her lips, that was almost as aggravating as the peculiar look Minako was favoring me with. Thankfully at least Ami and Makoto were tactful enough not to show much of their own feelings on the matter other than a short, meaningful look shared between them.

The most annoying thing was that Sasami was watching the exchange with her patent innocent expression, as if she didn't get at all what had just transpired. Thereby I doubted Sasami was as innocent about the matter as she pretended to be.

Great, I thought to myself with a scowl. I'm doomed.

******************************

<Hikawa Jinja>

Connecting. Achieving a total harmony with yourself and by doing that with kami. I had always been good at that. At first, when I came to Grandfather's shrine, it was a way of centering myself, of leaving behind the sadness created from my mother's death or the anger I had felt by my father's coldness. I had readily taken up Grandfather's teachings that gave me another purpose, a different outlook on life, other than the loneliness and fury I felt at this time.

Over time, I had come to accept the fact that this, being a miko in Grandfather's Jinja, obviously had been meant to be my fate from the very beginning. I was able to connect with the enshrined Fire Kami with an intensity and success that quickly surpassed even that of my own grandfather. It was a natural affinity, a closeness and normalcy that I often found comforting but also overwhelming.

Understanding about why I had this ability of nearly direct communication with the spirit worshipped here came with the discovery of my other self. The reborn Senshi of Fire. No wonder the Sacred Fire often had felt more like a friend, a brother even. My control had even further increased parallel to my powers as Sailormars. It had really astonished Grandfather, and then he had often mumbled something about knowing that I was the right person for keeping up the tradition after all.

My memories of my past life, which had returned gradually after the Galaxia battle, had helped to further strengthen my spiritual focus and understand better just what was out there. However, what had helped me most to ascend in my own spiritual training, was to spend about one month with Masaki Sasami. Granted, the girl had never been a miko or any other sort of practitioner of the Shinto faith. However, Shinto had never had a fixed doctrine. There was no ultimate truth or an ultimate power like in the Christian religion. Over time Shinto had integrated many different concepts from other religions like Buddhism. We were flexible… or at least supposed to.

My assistant had a couple of rather revolutionary views on spiritual conduct, views that were surprisingly effective and that I could easily appreciate with the knowledge of past time memories and our understanding of the universe in itself during the Silver Millennium. I had found some of Sasami's ideas eye-opening. Especially her understanding of the spiritual plane - by some called Astral Plane - or the concept of subspace were refreshing and actually enlightening. While she admitted to only have some rudimentary knowledge, I'd still like to meet her teacher… assuming she had one.

And yet, with all my achievement in the spiritual area, this one tedious task still escaped my powers constantly. It was like trying to catch a mole in a field full of pits. Every time I thought I had a lock on the particular spirit it was gone again. Slippery like a frog or something… With a frustrated growl, I relented the effort, relaxing my sharpened senses for a period of recovery. There was no way I was giving up on this but frankly I was starting to exceed my spiritual limitations.

I had been so immersed in the meditative trance I hadn't even felt the other presence in the inner chamber and reacted now with a start. Turning my head sharply, I forced myself to relax my tensed muscles as I spotted Kagome just standing there watching me closely and with some concern.

"You shouldn't tire yourself like that, Rei-san," the black-haired girl chided and then, with a thoughtful look at the Sacred Fire, added, "Are you still looking for the Youkai?"

I nodded my head. The Youkai, as Kagome called it - to my knowledge regarded as a type of evil or mischievous spirit in the Sengoku Jidai era - had been seen around the city for a few days now. Nothing major had happened to attract attention but Ami had tracked its energy pattern back to some minor incidents. Seeing as this appeared to be a minor, spiritual problem, she had reported it to me. Frankly I think that hunting it down with all Senshi would be overkill. That made the task of actually catching it not easier though.

"Maybe you should ask Sasami-chan for help," Kagome continued nonchalantly. It really seemed nothing more than a passing comment but it offered an immediate reaction. As I had already been able to see within the first days after the two new girls came to stay here, it was becoming noticeably harder to hide my own growing feelings. Anyone who paid close enough attention could see the openly affectionate behavior between Kagome and Sango. And I had a feeling they wouldn't deny it either if someone openly asked… Which I wouldn't. For both politeness' sake and a possible confrontation with my own budding feelings for a certain…

No! I had sworn myself not to do this to myself. I didn't trust myself with love. All I would end up is hurting not only myself but also, and especially, the other person. The examples set to me had taught me as much. True, Usagi and Mamoru had set another kind of example but I hardly believed that such fairytale relationships happened more than maybe once in a long time. I wasn't sure if I would have the inner strength to go through the hardships they had to endure. Thus, I was better of without loving someone completely.

It sounded much more convincing not so long ago.

I glanced back at the fire as well, staring into the crackling flame as if it held the solution for my current problem. As much as I wished it to be, I knew as well that the Hikawa kami was not almighty, none of them were, and that that was a problem I had to solve myself. "How do you mean?" I asked quietly, not wanting my curiosity to peek through. I wasn't too sure if I succeeded.

Kagome shifted behind me, her robe rustling slightly, as she sat down. When after awhile she hadn't said anything, I turned my head to regard her solemn, serious look. "You two have something rare and I think you know it. There is a strong connection between you. A connection that could overcome many hardships if you let it grow." The haunted gaze of sadness overtaking brown eyes startled me momentarily, as Kagome continued, "Do not waste too much time pondering, Rei-san. Sometimes before we really know what we have, it is taken from us. Beyond our reach." She shook her black hair, willing away the melancholic look and then with a faint smile added, "It's just a friendly advise. Feel free to ignore me."

I wasn't quite sure what to answer. I had seen it the first day already, that there was something fairly heavy weighing the two down. Some event in the past that had had a drastic impact on the people they were now. I hadn't pried, it was not my place. Besides, it seemed all of us four had a similar tale to tell. Maybe that was why we fit so easily together. No one would question the other, mindful of their privacy and own feelings. It was alright that way. And yet I could not help but wonder what could bring such bitterness and pain to the younger girl. She was normally such a nice person, always mindful of other's needs.

"Was where someone like that for you… or Sango?" I carefully breached the line rarely touched between the four of us. I felt a bit more comfortable doing so than being questioned myself about THAT matter. While I was ready enough to let it drop if need be, there was a certain distance between all of us, and it might be time to bond more than just through the casual acceptance.

Kagome didn't answer right away. In fact, she stared unblinking into the fire for several seconds, stretching out into a full minute. I was about to tell her to forget the question but then she bowed her head slightly and was about to say something when…

At first it was a faint buzz on the edges of my awareness but it quickly came closer, becoming more pronounced and more familiar. Familiar because just minutes before I had been trying to scry for it without much permanent success. And now it was here. Right at the Jinja…

Right outside where…

"It's here," Kagome remarked, having stifled her answer and listening with senses other than her primary ones.

I was already in motion though. I didn't even stop to think about the rationality of the action but all I could think about was that Sasami was supposed to be out in the yard right now. Kagome's words from moments ago came to mind and refused to let go. With grim determination I rushed outside, ready to take on whatever was there threatening my youngest assistant.

******************************

(Sasami)

Life was looking up right now. I hadn't even thought of it like this when I suggested Rei to take up the offer to have Kagome and Sango stay here, however, it seemed the seeds for a close quasi family had been sowed and there were high chances for a deeper friendship developing between all for us. Oh sure, a bystander could probably tell that there were quite a number of secrets and mysteries about each of us, but that was fine. Everyone seemed to accept that as a given. There was a basic level of trust already, from moment one onwards, and the barriers between our two groups were becoming thinner with each passing day.

Funny that in my mind I already considered Rei and me a "group". The other two girls were beyond doubt a couple, but Rei and I had barely known each other and yet, after just a month, I felt already very much inseparable from the older miko. It seemed love on first sight was true after all. Actually, that was a fact as far as my experience was concerned. Love was awakened at the first meeting. You might not recognize it for what it was at first but it still happened. Sometimes you wouldn't recognize it at all. Being maybe too stubborn to admit the truth to yourself, or being too innocent to understand. The latter was the case for Tenchi, I suppose. I was barely eight years old in all aspects but chronological age when we awoke in Earth's orbit. How was I too understand love then?

Rei was a stubborn case though, someone scarred already in the past and I would have to be very careful in pursuing a relationship. I wouldn't make the same mistakes as I had with Tenchi. From him, I had expected too much, too fast. I had clung to his promise before we left for Jurai, clung to it because deep down I knew, even though he had not acknowledged it, that his choice had already been made. Subconsciously I probably had tried to force the issue then by pushing a little too hard… Something I regretted now but that was impossible to change.

Rei though, Rei was different. What I felt for her was similar to what I had felt for Tenchi, yet different. Stronger, more potent, and responded in kind. I knew very well what it had meant for Rei to take me along to the private party with her friends. The, for her, enormous show of trust. That was something to build hope on. Carefully of course. Rei was emotionally rather fragile. Hiding herself behind a certain aloofness, repelling any kind of deeper commitment. However, I had seen the real her. Both with and without her friends who she obviously cherished very much.

It would be a slim path to walk but I was prepared for it. I wanted to succeed here, I wanted to gain Rei's full trust and her heart. We were meant to be. I was certain about it. I had to be. Why else had I felt that strong pull when we first saw each other, so unlike anything that I had experienced before?

And unlike Tenchi, I was certain that the miko would understand my unique condition when the time came to reveal this. I could tell her now, maybe I even should because I felt more than a little guilty being privy to her own secret, but I also wanted to see, wanted to know if my pending assimilation with Tsunami was such a great obstacle as it obviously had been to Tenchi and I, or if it didn't matter all that much. I needed to know that. For myself.

I smiled fondly at the mewling sound from my right shoulder and ceased my current work of sorting in the new ofudas Rei and Kagome had made just yesterday. Reaching up I petted Kirara much to the creature's delight. One could easily mistake it for a cat if not for the two tails and the eyes. Cats were supposed to be rather intelligent already but this one had an almost human-like awareness. Of course I could tell what she really was and that knowledge had my curiosity on fire, wondering what a creature of her origin and power was doing with two normal girls who all but radiated supernatural skills themselves to my sharp senses.

"What do you say, Kirara? Do you think I'm right that Rei likes me... like that?" I asked, seeking some sort of confirmation besides being rather sure of the progress we were making. However, I was also unsure that I wanted to or even could take another rejection, not when what I was feeling was so intense already that it would have made me blurt out my feelings if not for knowing that the very thing might make Rei uncomfortable enough to ruin the entire thing.

"It's not always easy, isn't it?" I turned at the voice, seeing Sango coming up through the yard. Kirara made a sound and jumped down to join her actual mistress. "One-sided love probably hurts the most," she continued in a distant tone. My heart reached out at the sorrowful expression on the other's face but I was also a little puzzled by the comment.

Sango seemed to notice, snapping out of the moment more or less immediately. "Not that I think it's one-sided between Rei-san and you. You two seem to be practically inseparable to me. Hard to believe you only knew each other a bit more than a month." Saying this, her gaze became distant once more, but she shook it off. Admirable I had to admit. Despite all the stain I could clearly read in her aura, Sango still managed a brave front most of the times.

"You and Kagome-chan seem to love each other very much," I remarked carefully, gauging a reaction, stating a fact both Rei and I were certain of but had never acknowledged out loud so far. I could hardly believe the other girl would consider her feelings one-sided. Maybe their relationship had started out on a different basis but a blind person could probably see the deep affection, the obvious love between the two.

For a moment, Sango was about to say something but then stopped, deep in thought. After a moment her face lit up as if she just realized something very important, a thin but genuine smile starting to form on her lips. "Yes… Yes, we do that, don't we?"

I was a little perplexed at the sudden shift in behavior, since I had hardly believed my statement that prying or creating such a positive effect. At least she seemed more happy now. Not the bitterness that would occasionally peek through and vanish then just as quickly again in regret when the other girl realized it. From what I saw, whatever had happened to her should have broken a normal human, but Sango had a strong willpower that seemed to carry her through and actually began to win against the looming shadow covering her spirit, slowly but surely.

"She cares about you a lot. You must feel very lucky to have her," I said. In fact I had often felt just a tiny bit envious of their open admission of feelings for the other, longing to experience a similar thing. "I think she loves you very much. I'm sure you are grateful for that."

Sango's smile brightened a little more and she closed her eyes, looking for all the world as if nothing could hurt her that very moment. "I am," she whispered, sounding actually surprised saying that.

*You have such a talent for that, you know?* I could hear Tsunami's fond voice echo in my mind.

Huh…?

Before I could voice my confusion, however, Sango's eyes suddenly snapped open and with two steps was standing protectively in front of me, Kirara hissing at her feet. Blinking, I began to focus on my surroundings, discarding Tsunami's comment for the moment. I had been so preoccupied in the conversation and with Sango's confusing reactions that I had almost missed the approaching presence if not for Sango's reaction.

I squinted my eyes at the direction from where I felt the presence approaching rapidly over the Astral Plane with an obvious malevolent intent. There was something unsettling about it though, something that didn't feel right. Unnatural. And I felt the sudden impulse that it's intention was too strike swift and fast. And Sango was not able to deal with a spiritual attack like that, the giant boomerang she had brought with her currently absent from her attire.

Drastic measures then, Tsunami and I thought pretty much in synchrony, focusing our essence mainly on the Astral Plane, ready to confront whatever was about to come…

Only that the spirit or whatever it was, abruptly stopped its approach when it caught sight of us… or better Tsunami. Wavering for a moment, the presence shifted uneasily before turning tail and running away faster than it had approached, if that was even possible.

Well, there were definite benefits being bonded to a Yggdrasil's dryad, I mused and turned around when I heard the commotion of running footsteps announcing the arrival of Rei and Kagome who must have sensed the spirit's approach too.

******************************

(Sango)

I blinked confused at the sudden retreat of the spiritual life form that had had my senses tingling brightly just a moment ago. I turned my head towards the younger girl standing behind me, narrowing my eyes slightly. There was something about her I couldn't quite put my finger on. She didn't let anything on, whether she had even sensed the same thing as I had - which I was pretty sure of - or being responsible for the hasty retreat. Kagome and I had quickly established that the youngest member of our group was indeed powerful, just how much though was hard to tell.

Any question I might have directed at the blue-haired girl was cut short though when Rei burst out of the main building, Kagome only a few steps behind. The raven-haired "Head Miko", as all of us liked to teasingly call her since our first meeting, was beyond doubt frantic and worried. She masked in well under a hard mask of grim determination. Her eyes briefly scanned around the yard but were always drawn back to us… or actually to Sasami.

I exchanged a look of mutual agreement with Kagome when Rei practically ignored me and started fussing over a stunned - but quite obviously happy - Sasami, inquiring about her wellness and the sort of things a concerned lover might do… I smirked and wryly commented, "Gee, thanks for not asking how I am doing."

Of course, the statement was mute, since the next moment Kagome had stepped next to me, resting a gentle hand on my shoulder. Turning my head I could see the concern in brown eyes and suddenly had to swallow a lump. That brief talk with Sasami earlier had made me see something very important, something I hadn't allowed myself to really acknowledge yet. For various reasons, reasons that I really needed to talk about with Kagome. I needed to be certain, just for my peace of mind, I guess.

I looked at the other pair of would-be lovers and shook my head softly, tugging at Kagome's hand. "They'll be busy for awhile. Come on, I need to talk to you." The timing was probably horrible, what with the almost attack and all that but I needed to get this out before I started to doubt again.

Puzzled Kagome followed a good distance away from the other two miko before finally speaking up, worry still evident. "What happened?"

"Nothing really," I assured her. "The Youkai, or whatever it was, suddenly stopped and retreated. Just like that." At Kagome's dubious look, I added, "I really don't know what happened. Maybe it was her…"

Further confused, the black-haired girl asked, "Who?"

I chuckled softly, walking a few more steps, back turned to my lover. "She's quite an intriguing girl. I can't figure her out. Somehow she seems to be able to say just the right thing to get under all your defenses. Without any real conscious effort, I believe." Sasami's words had indeed not seemed like she meant to provoke the reaction that she got out of me. Yet, that innocent, plainly spoken manner in which she stated the obvious, or what she thought to be the obvious, was positively refreshing.

"Oh," Kagome seemed to catch on. "Hai, she's quite amazing." After a moment, Kagome asked thoughtfully, "You think she has anything to do with the Youkai retreating?"

I turned around and walked back the short distance between us. "I'm not sure. I just know that I didn't do anything that I am aware of." Kagome still looked somewhat confused, unsure why exactly I had wanted to speak to her in private. I had to smile fondly at the expression and reached out to touch her cheek, running my fingers along soft skin. "I love you. You do know that, right?"

For a moment Kagome closed her eyes at the touch, her features softening, becoming almost serene. My smile deepened. "I do, Sango-chan," she answered with no doubt in her voice, but still clearly bewildered. It was not exactly the answer I wanted to hear. I chewed on my bottom lip, biting back speaking out loud what I thought. That wasn't the point here, not really. What exactly was the point… that was something I wasn't totally sure of myself. Just that we had to talk about this.

"You still love him," I said, without judgment or bitterness. Or at least so I thought. Of course she still loved him. After all that happened… Even if someone you loved once was beyond your reach, it did not diminish those feelings. I should know that myself and on some levels I did. Still, this was obviously one of the main reasons for my doubts… and fears…

Kagome blinked, startled and for a moment not quite understanding. But then comprehension dawned in her eyes and she got that look, a mixture torn between compassionate and apologetic, a little sad too at the memory of Inuyasha. "Of course I do, Sango… I…" Kagome echoed my thoughts, making my heart sting despite my best efforts. From the confirmation but even more so from the unfairness of my implied words. Kagome really didn't deserve this. She had been there for me all this time, who was I to forbid her these undeniable feelings? "That doesn't change anything between us though. I thought you knew that I…" she trailed off, swallowing the words that were on the tip of her tongue but wouldn't come forth, hadn't come forth. In all this time over the year since I had followed her to this era. And that was the root of the problem now, wasn't it?

"You still can't say it, can you?" Again it was more a statement than a question. It was obvious enough. Those three words I longed to hear, just once, she couldn't bring herself to say them. I wasn't quite sure why. Maybe because she was still clinging to Inuyasha's memory. Maybe something totally different.

Kagome looked away, shame briefly flashing in her beautiful eyes and making me feel like a complete idiot once more. She stepped away, turning her back towards me, and only after awhile replied softly, "Do I need to?"

And once again, I recalled Sasami's words from earlier and the truth that lay within them. If someone as young as her, albeit awfully perceptive for her age, could see it, how could I still deny myself the truth? All this time Kagome had been there for me. She had come for me when Naraku had me tortured, she had been there for me when Kohaku… She had been there for me all this time, comforting… loving. "I would like to hear you say it," I admitted, "But, you are right, I don't NEED to."

Kagome turned around surprised, looking at me questioningly, "What do you…?"

I stepped forward and took her hands in mine. "You've shown me more than enough times but I never really appreciated it. I guess, I… Maybe I was scared." I had to admit, having known the simple truth for quite some time now, but afraid to see it, afraid to acknowledge its presence. I had always been strong, needed to be strong. But after the ordeal just prior to Naraku's demise… I had been broken and alone… But at the same time not. Kagome had been there, all this time, despite all that happened.

"Why?" my lover asked softly.

I wasn't really sure what to answer. "I… don't really know. Maybe, because my love was used against me once already…" It had been my feelings, so carefully tugged away that had almost hurt the one I loved most so direly. And not only that, but also my feelings for Kohaku had made me vulnerable. And then the horrible choice that bastard forced upon me… I could still see it now. Clear as if it had been yesterday, frozen in my memory that horrible moment when those I loved most were pitched against each other and I had almost lost them both… I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to shut out the nightmarish memories, haunting me many nights. "I have already been tainted once… I don't want to be the cause of your…"

Kagome's hands had slipped free from mine and I felt a finger against my lips. "Shh… You are NOT tainted. You are the bravest and sweetest person I know, Sango-chan. Your heart is strong and I DO trust you with my life." I melted at the words, spoken with utmost conviction, no doubt clouding her beliefs. The amount of sincerity and trust was overwhelming.

"Kagome-chan… Arigato, for being there for me, all this time…" I whispered hoarsely, fighting back tears. Barriers I had put up ever since that accident, against everyone and everything, even against Kagome, especially against Kagome, were falling apart all of a sudden. The last months had built up towards this moment, I suppose, but first after arriving here at Hikawa Jinja had I really started to think about the true state of our relationship. I had been content in its idle, stagnate state, giving me some resemblance of order. But it was not that simple and I wanted more. I wanted to finally break free of the memories of the past and really start my new life here in this time, with Kagome who had been at my side all this time.

"I will always be there for you. I promised, remember?" Kagome said. And that was true. She had promised. And it had never been a promise just out of necessity or because Inuyasha had asked her to. I realized that now, fully, totally realized it and that realization chased away the fears and nightmares for the moment, leaving a healing warmth behind.

"Hai," I acknowledged and following the overwhelming need for closeness, pulled Kagome into a tight embrace. The younger girl melted against me and tilted her head upwards to meet mine in a rough kiss, that was slightly bruising and definitely demanding. I could feel her hands tightening on my back as small whimpers escaped from her occupied lips. Pent-up emotions were released in the process as I basked in the willing reciprocation of not only desire but love. It really didn't matter whether she said it out loud or not, I already knew. They say, actions speak louder than words, and in this case the saying held absolute truth.

I felt more free than I had in a long time and even Kagome glowed positively when we finally pulled away. We had delayed this confrontation for far too long in my opinion, had lurked into the security of the basic understanding of our relationship. But now, that I had this talk behind me, I felt so much better… and was, quite frankly, in need of something more… intense. I looked over Kagome's shoulder at our fellow miko and confirming my suspicion, said in a husky voice, "I think those two will be occupied for awhile. Let's go inside and…"

Kagome giggled, her smile deepening, "What do you have on your dirty mind?"

"Hmm…" I purred, "You'll see." And with that I pulled the unresisting Kagome back to the main building, and our room.

******************************

(Sasami)

Well, so much for that, I mused. That had worked out easier than I thought it would. That thing had been rather determined to do whatever mischief it had planned. I just wish that I had gotten a better look. Linked as I had been for a short moment with Tsunami, I could have told exactly what kind of entity it was that had just evacuated the Jinja quite frightened. It would come back though. I wasn't sure how I could tell but I knew it would.

*I think we drew some attention,* Tsunami commented as we pulled apart once more. I felt somewhat dizzy, those instances of quasi-assimilation were taxing and I almost always needed some time to reorient.

Under Sango's scrutinizing gaze I felt quite exposed though and with resolve forced a somewhat nonchalant expression on my face. Not that it would do any harm for them to know but truth be told, I didn't want them to know. I had thought long and hard about this, especially about telling Rei. And I had to admit, a small part of me was scared of my newfound friends reaction. All I wanted was to be accepted as a normal person and not showered with feelings of awe or maybe even fear. Tsunami was a part of me but she also wasn't a Goddess or some such nonsense, something many did not understand. I would tell them, eventually, when the time was right and when I was sure they would accept me for who I was, not for what I represented.

Thankfully, Sango's attention was diverted by the arrival of Rei and Kagome, most likely drawn by the alien presence invading the Jinja grounds just moments ago. I was still a little fuzzy from the impromptu channeling and was thus caught off guard when Rei practically made a beeline for me, only looking around a few times, confirming that the area was clear.

I was rather shocked when Rei placed her hands firmly on my shoulders, the taller woman looking down with unrestrained worry in her purple eyes that made me swallow quite a few breaths for a moment. "Sasami, are you alright? What happened here? I… We… felt something… That evil spirit I've been tracking… Did it hurt you?" The words were jumbled, eyes scanning hurriedly up and down my body with increasing concern.

And I smiled. A thin, hidden smile, but I smiled, seeing my earlier observations confirmed so thoroughly. "I'm fine, Rei," I said softly. "Whatever it was obviously decided it wasn't worth taking the risk." Which was more or less true. I guess Tsunami and I had overdone it a little, channeling our will like that, but neither of us wanted to take any chances as exposed as we had been. And so, confronted with such a display of power on the Astral Plane, the creature had rather sought to retreat and think up a better strategy… which would give us time to prepare as well.

"Really?" Rei asked, still quite troubled but relief showing in her voice. "Good. That's good." And then, the raven-haired miko blinked, the sudden rush of adrenaline obviously ebbing by the placating of her fear for my safety. HER fear for MY safety. My heart had to have made a few flip-flops. This was exhilarating!

Rei's face took on a slightly rosy color now, as she stuttered something incoherently. "I mean… I…" As if just now fully realizing her actions, the older girl turned away, flushing with obvious embarrassment. "That is good, yes… Very… good…" She took a few deep breaths as I watched patiently, basking in the apparent concern, brought into the light by the situation. After several more seconds, she squared her shoulders and turned back to face me again, features controlled once more but it wasn't hard to see how fragile this control was. "Gomen nasei, Sasami-chan. I'm not sure what came over me…"

I decided to take pity on her and also give her something to think. Placing a gentle hand on the taller girl's shoulder, I looked up at her and made sure she saw exactly how grateful I was. "You were worried about me. Arigato." It felt indeed very good. Rei was so hard on herself, showing extreme emotions so rarely. Especially when it considered matters of the heart. I felt sad about the apparent lack of love she had experienced during her childhood. A feeling I could to a degree sympathize with, even if for different reasons.

A repressed shudder ran through the other girl's body before she pulled away abruptly, taking a few steps backwards to put some distance between us. Normally I would have been offended or saddened at least, however, I knew how hard this was for her. I had seen it so often happen to my sister, trying to reign in her feelings and being only partially successful. Especially when it concerned Tenchi. Besides, I had already gotten a wonderful gift out of this and whatever Rei might say or do now, the message her concern had delivered was crystal-clear.

"Ah, I was just… concerned about Sango and you being all alone out here with something we have no information about…" Rei tried to cover and I nodded for her benefit but kept the partially hidden smile. Evasive tactics were good and fine if they were appropriate. But the earlier reaction rendered this one quite meaningless. "So, you said it suddenly turned tail and ran?" the older Miko asked dubiously in an attempt of changing the subject.

I nodded, noticing just now that Kagome and Sango had retreated to another portion of the yard and were talking. "Seems so," I answered guardedly. "Maybe it was afraid of the holy energy here." Rei's look as much as told me that she didn't believe me and for a moment her eyes narrowed. I was almost sure she would query if I had done anything and I really didn't like outright lying.

However, just as I thought Rei was going to say something, her resolve seemed to break to my considerate surprise. Heaving a sigh, Rei turned to the side, her long hair hiding her face from view. "At least you are safe," she whispered, too soft for ordinary hearing to pick up… but then again, I wasn't to be considered ordinary. Neither of us was.

My smile was now quite open and I took a step towards her, reaching out to touch one of her hands with my own. Rei glanced up sharply, caught off guard as she had obviously not counted on me hearing her. "I can take care of myself, Rei-chan." The suffix didn't slip out unconsciously. We had grown much closer and when in private like now, I sometimes let a certain familiarity slip in, watching carefully for a reaction. So far the other had not shown any offense by it.

Now though, Rei hesitated a moment before pulling her hand away, averting her gaze again. "I know that… It's just…" She sighed again, frustrated this time and then after awhile of fidgeting, she asked with both confusion and seriousness. "What is happening to us?"

I hadn't expected such a direct question but it was obvious that Rei had realized there was no covering for her reaction and that I understood implicitly what it meant. "I don't know what's happening to you," I said eventually. That wasn't exactly the truth though. I had a pretty good idea but most of it was still speculation and I would surely not decide the feelings of other people. That was something for Rei to figure out. "But," I stepped forward again, noting that Rei stood her ground, watching me out of the corner of her eyes probably, "I think you already have some idea," I finished softly, reaching out to brush the long black strands away hiding the older girl's face.

Rei's gaze seemed torn, confused… vulnerable. "Sasami, I don't know… I can't…"

"Then don't," I stated firmly before standing up on my tiptoes slightly - Rei was still a good bit taller than myself after all - and placed a soft, fluttering kiss on the white skin of her cheek. "Don't rush yourself. I can wait." And with that, I passed her by and walked back to the main building, wondering slightly what had made me do this.

*Didn't you say that you didn't want to force this?* Tsunami asked, picking up on my own thoughts.

I did, didn't I? But then again, it was apparent that Rei was struggling with herself and it would still be some time until she resolved it. Some motivation would be good and also… I wanted her to know. What I had done just now was nothing short of declaring my own deeper feelings for the raven-haired miko who had taken me in. I had long since admitted it to myself that I had fallen in love with her. There was no sense in keeping that a secret anymore. In fact, not knowing how I felt in return, could just as well provoke Rei to shy away from making up her own mind.

It wasn't really pushing for a reaction. I just wanted her to know that I would be open for more than friendship and that it was in her hands now. I wouldn't do anything more besides that. The experience with Tenchi had taught me that. I had sworn not to make that mistake with Rei again.

Anyway, what was done, was done. Rei knew now that I appreciate her concern - and more. I'd have to see what happened next. In my heart, there was the unmistakable conviction though that this time, I had found the right one for me. All that was needed now, was time.

******************************

(Rei)

Stupid. Stupid! STUPID!!!

Raging at myself didn't get me one step further but at least it was distracting. Only slightly though. The scene just a few hours ago was still fresh in my mind and would obviously not budge for a longer period of time. It was even breaking through the tight meditation and making me stray from my internal focus more than once… which only served to further frustrate me.

How could I have acted so… so… foolish! Yes, foolish! Like some lovesick puppy, emotions overriding reason in a way that surely wasn't healthy. Physically but mostly for your sanity. I didn't need that, I had told myself time again and again. I was fine on my own, with my companions, those kindred souls I was gratified to call friends. That was enough for me… And then one month ago my entire worldview was thrown into chaos by one single girl with a charismatic smile and an aura full of intriguing mysteries. Only one meeting was necessary, only one look, one time our eyes had locked… And just like that, I was lost. Lost, defenseless against her in ways I had previously thought impossible.

But I couldn't be. Love for me was destructive. It had destroyed mother and father in the end, making everyone unhappy. How was I supposed to be better off? It's not that I didn't long for it. I could admit that to myself, that a part of me had never stopped to wonder, to hope, for someone, somewhere at some point of time… And yet it was impossible. I was… scared. The truth was shocking me for a moment but it was true after all. I was scared, scared of the same thing happening to me that happened to my mother, the disappointments of a love and trust shattered… And I was afraid that I could be the cause of such a thing. And she didn't deserve that. No, Sasami surely did not deserve this.

But what could I do now? A fool would have gotten the message. I wanted to deny, hide myself behind the veil of doubt, of uncertainty. Before it had been so easy to tell myself Sasami wouldn't be looking for something like that. I had been able to list numerous of reasons. And still, in the end they all failed to stand upright in the face of the simple truth that from our first meeting onwards something had formed between us that tied us involuntarily together.

And Sasami knew.

I bit my lip. What could I do now? What should I do? All my training had not prepared me for this, had not taught me how to handle a situation like this. How should it? I lacked the normalcy of a loving family, parents happily married to set an example of support and constant affection. And I had long since accepted this, resolving myself to the life I had found here with my grandfather and the fate I thought so clearly belonging to this Jinja.

I'm not getting any further with this just lamenting, I chided myself, hardening my resolve. After all, she said I should take my time, right? It was a comfortable alleviation of the problem… Such a shame that I also knew taking too much time could very well hurt her feelings. And that was something, I really didn't want to do. Did that mean, I… No, all it meant was that I cared. And what was not to care, to like about the gentle blue-haired girl? There was…

No, not now! I strongly resisted the urge to take that path again that I had caught myself following so often as of late. I needed to get my mind cleared. Not only to sharpen my focus on that particular problem, but also the current one. That evil spirit was still in the vicinity, not too far away. Whatever - or whoever - had made it flee like that, had obviously only tempered triggered its flight instinct. Actually, it was much easier to follow now since it seemed to stay mostly in one place. If I were to hazard a guess. I believed it was plotting.

What I had glimpsed before was some low-level spirit gloating with overconfidence doing some mischief but that had changed already when I caught it moving here. There had been a sudden focus, a sudden increase of anger. What before seemed like a purposeless, erratic pattern, suddenly seemed to be centered. Now more than before. Could it be the spirit was after something in the Jinja or on these grounds? That would rule out the assumption that the holiness of the area had served to repel it. I found that hard to believe to begin with. The sudden fixity on this area was clearly marking some higher interest. But what kind of interest? For what… or for who?

I pushed back the emotional response, knowing that the timing was most likely coincidental and it could just as well have been me and Kagome out there instead of the other two. It didn't need to be Sango or… Sasami.

But it could.

I shook my head angrily, irritated and tired. Not so much physically but mentally. After the uncharacteristic burst of panic and the scene that followed, I felt somewhat drained and it took me a lot more effort to find the proper concentration. And yet just the thought of a repeat of the circumstances that had made me act so rashly were enough to at least confirm that the creature, whatever it was, was still in the immediate area… Although it appeared unlikely that it would make another move anytime soon, considering it had been in one location for hours now.

Gently slipping out of the meditative trance, I stretched my tired limbs before getting up in front of the Sacred Fire. It seemed we were safe for the night. It was already late and I definitely needed a couple of hours sleep, if only to get my muddled feelings into order and set my priorities into the right order again… Whichever that was.

There was no way though I was going to be caught unprepared again. Right now I couldn't trust myself that in the case of the evil spirit moving here again, while we were all asleep, that I wouldn't wake in a similar state of embarrassing panic, overcome by unreasonable concern. I knew logically that Sasami was talented enough to defend herself - especially since I hardly needed telling that there was a lot more to her than met the eye - but my heart would not allow me the luxury of logic and reason. Besides, I was responsible for the safety of those under my roof, and no demon, evil spirit or Youkai, as Kagome called it, was going to catch me napping twice. The next time it dared to enter here, it would learn the folly of its actions.

With that in mind, I left the inner sanctum of the Jinja and headed outside. Gathering a couple of ofudas, I spent the next minutes carefully and strategically placing wards around the Jinja grounds, making sure to draw on some knowledge from my past life as to how to overlay their effects best in order to create a sufficient shielding that would take quite a bit of both power and prodding to break through.

When I went back to the main building I found Kagome standing in the sliding door, watching with a thoughtful look. As I approached, she nodded towards me, "Looks good to me. Somehow I get the feeling though that we are missing something here."

I snorted. "We are missing a lot of somethings. For example why that spirit is interested in this place so much that it suddenly developed a focus for what it was doing. Or why it suddenly fled although having a clear interest in this area."

Kagome nodded again, thus confirming my theory. And I valued that, really I did. The other black-haired girl albeit slightly younger had a vast pool of knowledge and amazing spiritual perception. She hadn't said how long she had studied but I was sure, it had to be probably as long as I had… since childhood. "That's not what I mean though. There is… I don't know, a familiarity. I know I felt this particular aura before…" Her gaze was unfocused, obviously deep in thought. After a few moments she shrugged though, "I'm sure it is nothing special though. Together, with all our skills, it shouldn't be a problem."

"Yes," I mumbled, acknowledging the logic but still not quite able to shake off that nagging feeling of unease. "I hope so."

******************************

(Kagome)

I wondered what was bothering me so much about this. It was definitely a Youkai's energy. I could distinguish that even from this far. It wasn't terrible strong, actually rather strange, distorted, as if cloaked by something else… A shame that I never had much chance to test and hone this ability. Since neither Kikyou's nor my senses had been that strong, I was still wondering if this new ability was the jewel or a side effect of the merging after all. In this modern age though, the creatures of myth and times long past were mostly hiding and I had never had much chance to really tell apart just what I picked up. Ability without experience.

It would help a lot now. It would help even more if I had had it back then. So much that I knew now, would have helped back then, would have made so much of a difference, could have… I cut off that thought, irritated to find myself so lost in "would be" and "could have" possibilities. It was done now, it was time to leave it behind and move on. Sango needed me now. Not just in presence, but also in actual life. I still hadn't let go after all, had I? Torn between that what was lost and what was still there. I had committed myself to helping her through her own trauma without really mastering my own, pushing it back…

Sitting on the edge of the bed, my thoughts too occupied for sleep, I let my fingers ran through the dark strands of the sleeping Sango's hair. I wished I could be as strong as her. It seemed she was finally getting around, just as Grandfather said - as amazingly as that was. What she needed was some time away from familiar surroundings, somewhere away from where she could not lose herself in the ordinariness. And so needed I. I wondered if my grandfather had thought of that. Possibly. I had always admired the other girl's strength of heart, even after all that happened she was still alive and not giving up. But for whom…

"I don't really deserve this, you know?" I said softly to her sleeping form. Sango had been right. I hadn't let go of him. But how could I? There was so much to remember about Inuyasha. I could still see it before my eyes, those last moments… The arrow, MY arrow…

Breaking of the thought, I tugged out the chain from underneath my robe, staring into the gleaming depths of the purplish jewel where… "What should I do, Inuyasha? I love her but…" I couldn't say it out loud. I always felt like I was betraying him. Making an absolute choice, deciding for one and discarding the other, never admitting that feelings had existed in the first place. That was foolish though. He was gone and even if I was with another now, it didn't less what we had, could have had… And if he had still been alive and I made the choice… Did that make my feelings for him just disappear?

No.

I honestly couldn't say why I could not just tell her. It's not like there hadn't been a spark even before Naraku started to lay out his ultimate trap which eventually had led us down to the path we had to follow. We had already came closer then. Closer than I had ever thought possible. I had to admit that learning about Sango's feelings had shocked me a little… and also flattered me somewhat. I had never been all that popular with the boys in school and hadn't really cared much. But ever since I met Inuyasha things had changed a lot, I guess I had changed a lot to. I hadn't know what to do with Sango then, knowing that I did love Inuyasha but not wishing to hurt her either, especially not after what she went through. I understood perfectly that what she did, she did for me and that left me felt torn, unable to reject her. That would have surely broken her.

In the end, the decision had been pretty much taken from us.

And now look where we were today. One would think that it was Sango who depended on me after the unspeakable things done to her. Maybe that was true, but I had also come to depend on her presence. We had no one else left here - well, except Kirara - and we could offer each other mutual consolation. But it had been over a year already. Wasn't it time that things changed, for the better? Wasn't it time that I started to try and leave the past behind? Sango was trying so hard… I should do too. So that I could return her feelings as much as she deserved.

The jewel glowed slightly between my fingers and I smiled softly. You heard me, didn't you? I thought silently to myself and then tugged it away again.

It was good after all that we had come here, for both of us. That reminded me that I really had to thank Sasami. I wasn't sure what exactly she had done but I felt a little lighter now knowing that Sango was getting back on track… and that I had realized my own need to return to the present instead of dwelling in the past and the comforting veil of idleness. We both needed to move on, not just because I promised Inuyasha, but for ourselves, first and foremost.

With that resolved, I stood to shrug out of the robe, ready to join my lover in bed and maybe a bit less troubled sleep than usual. In fact, Sango was breathing easily, no signs of nightmares so far. I was happy about that. Of course, it could be that she was still worn out from our activities earlier. I smirked, knowing that - for all her physical fitness and superiority - I could still manage to do that.

Just as I was about to loosen my robe, a sudden movement caught my attention, making me halt in my action. Kirara was awake and hissing softly in the direction that let outside to the yard. She stood agitated and poised, ready to jump into action every moment now but was obviously unsure herself of what exactly had triggered her senses.

I was about to say something while already checking with my own skills, a supposition taking already form, when I was startled again by Sango suddenly sitting up. It was silent and had I not watched her, I probably wouldn't have even registered her moving. One could see years of training coming to the forefront as she carefully looked around while sliding out of the bed and grabbing for her clothes. "It's here," she said simply.

That was unnecessary though. I could already sense it. Too preoccupied with my thoughts, I had not noticed the Youkai move. But now it was like a bright flame in a dark room. There it was. In the yard! Past the initial wards already! How was that possible? I had watched Rei place the wards. It shouldn't have been that easy, not if the power level I had estimated was the true one. Or was that cloaked, too?

"Kagome," Sango shook me out of my thoughts, already dressed in her casual clothes that were no real replacement for the armor she had usually worn for battle but offered best nimbleness while drawing minimal attention, "We have to stop it before it starts to wreck havoc here." And with that she grabbed Hiraikotsu, her trusted boomerang made of Youkai skin, shouldering it easily.

"Right," I nodded, falling into step behind her as Sango rushed ahead. I really wished I had a bow and arrows at hand. It's not like we carried our weapons around here. This wasn't the Sengoku Jidai. Back then, barely anyone would have batted an eyebrow. It was normal in those times of war and constant conflict. Nowadays carrying around a giant boomerang and a bow with quiver and arrows was about to draw some attraction. Also, what would we need it for? After all, who would attack us here?

Well, there was my answer. Slithering and hissing in the middle of the yard, blood red eyes turned our way as soon as we burst out of the building into open air. Eyes filled with the bloodlust of vengeance. And suddenly, confronting the looming, oversized snake Youkai face to face I knew exactly what it was.

"Sango," I called out, "that is…"

"I know," she responded darkly, catching Hiraikotsu, that had passed through the creature without doing any damage, "I see it now, too. A dead's Youkai spirit, bound to this plane and unable to let go of whatever grudge it is feeling."

"Yessss," the snake apparition hissed menacingly, "And I ssssshall have my vengeanccce!" And then its eyes flashed darkly, just before a sudden wave of water appeared out of thin air, threatening to bury us underneath. Too surprised to react, I probably would have been flushed away. However, Sango had reacted instinctively and the next moment I found myself airborne held in a strong, protective grip.

The Youkai spirit didn't give us any time to catch our breath though.

******************************

(Rei)

Half an hour later and I still wasn't in bed… Kami, I really did push myself too much sometimes. This time though the events of earlier in the day were still playing havoc on my calm state of mind... or would if something like that still existed. The situation had come to this after all. Just as I feared… and hoped for - just a tiny part of me, but it was still there. I had suspected from the start that there was something deeper than just a possible friendship behind our meeting. That there was more to be gained… or lost. Now I stood in the face of the problem that had become undeniable, Sasami all but dropping any pretense. It wasn't like she had been persistent, expected a reply or something like that… Maybe it would have been better like that. At least then I could have blamed either heart or brain if something went wrong otherwise. Now I had to decide what to do… and that was the root of the problem.

"Rei, what troubles you? You look like you've been scared by a ghost," Grandfather observed. I had gladly welcomed the distraction when I found him up and about, sipping some herbal tea in the kitchen area that Sasami had obviously prepared. His physical state had gotten better recently. Surprisingly enough, where Sasami's mere presence before had helped to achieve this, Kagome's knowledge of herbs and natural medicine was surely Kami's blessing. Where modern medicine failed to combat a problem properly, nature always found a solution after all. It wasn't like he was totally healthy again. The long illness had left its marks and he was still rather pale and weak. It was getting better though.

"It's nothing really, Jiji," I replied evasively, cursing once again his perceptiveness, had to come with the age. I could do without it right now.

"If you say so," he shrugged and took another long sip and after that added casually, "Sasami is a fine young girl, she seems to have grown on you, too." The hidden smile neutralized the effort of a seemingly innocent comment and I found myself blushing. Grandfather only smiled more openly. Respecting and honoring your elders or not… Sometimes I hated it that Grandfather had to be always so… wise whenever it came to my personal life and problems. He usually left me alone with them but never made much of a pretense that he didn't know what was going on in most cases. Even now when he had spent most of his time in bed! I tell, you annoying!

He didn't elaborate further on the subject though, obviously sensing that I was too aggravated already. Instead he gave me a critical look as if to evaluate my worth, which made me somewhat uneasy but the eventual result of the examination was a crooked grin. "Nice dress by the way." I blushed, realizing that I was once again wearing Sasami's robes. At first I had just done it to defy the teasing of the others and after that… Oh, who was I kidding? It had done good to see Sasami's happy and pleased smile whenever I did. "A bit unorthodox I have to admit but hey, who am I too complain. At least it shows that my hardworking granddaughter is special." That was typical Grandfather for you. Mixing jest or teasing and appraisal together. The veiled praise though did make me feel good. I wasn't quite sure how Grandfather actually took all the new additions over the last month, from a priest's point of view. That he obviously appreciated - at the very least acknowledged - my efforts was actually managing to calm my heart a little.

"I didn't do it alone…" I began, by all gratitude for the praise, knowing that a big part of my success had been due to the other three girls… and especially Sasami, of course. That was when I felt the sudden invasion of the grounds. Already past some of the initial wards. Not broken, just bypassed.

Grandfather made to rise but I quickly admonished him with a sharp look. "Not in your condition, you are not. Stay here until I… we get things under control." Narrowing my eyes I delivered the silent message that I would bear no argument on this and only relented when the older man nodded sagely.

Wasting no more time I was in motion already. It was the same aura from earlier in the day. I had not expected it to move tonight. It didn't seem like it would try so soon, not after the hasty departure of earlier. Either the spirit was just rash or actually smarter than I thought, anticipating that we would not expect it to move so early again. Whatever it was, I had sworn to myself not to let it come even close to harming anyone under my care again. And whether I wanted it or not, Sasami and to a degree the others too, were under my care. Staying at my home, I was responsible for their safety.

I nearly bumped into Sasami running down the corridor. It was obvious she had been alerted to the alien presence on the Jinja grounds as well. I shot her look of concern, not wanting her involved in the coming conflict if somehow possible… But Sasami shook her head firmly, her eyes boring no argument. There was something ancient, far older when her physical age, lurking beneath pink eyes which threw me for a moment. That other presence I always felt somewhat linked to Sasami was much more prominent now, radiating maturity and reliability.

We were wasting valuable time. Knowing the other two, they probably had felt the spirit already. So, I sighed resignedly and continued to hurry outside, Sasami following just a little behind me. There had been another reason why I didn't want Sasami involved. If the others were around, I could not fall back on Mars if worse came to worse. And soon enough I found myself wishing I could. Just as we had stepped outside battle instincts took over and I barely managed to push Sasami and myself out of the way of the sudden… rush of water impacting against and shaking the old building.

I glanced sharply at the scene before me. Seeing the giant snake loom in the center of the yard. Sango, one arm around Kagome, carrying both in an evasive jump to safety. While I still marveled at the agility and subtle strength of the other girl I quickly found out that the supposed safety was a relative one. The snake hissed in obvious anger - or more like rage actually - and turned to their new location, summoning another torrent of water, too fast for the pair to evade this time since they were just touching down. Sango pushed Kagome away and took the blunt of the attack, throwing her through the air quite some distance. The demonic creature took quick advantage of the situation and the now seemingly helpless Kagome, conjuring up another burst of water magic…

"No!" Sasami burst forwards before I could hold her back, running right for Kagome to my growing horror.

I grabbed for an ofuda but realized with certain trepidation that I would be too late. The demon, or whatever the creature was, was very fast with its attack and soon enough a just recovering Kagome was beginning to be buried under another cascade with enough force to crush a weak dam, and with her my younger blue-haired assistant, the girl who had become such a good friend in barely just a month's time, the girl that had just today more or less declared her willingness to deepen our relationship. The girl that I cared too much about to lose now to a random whim of fate.

"No…" For a moment only my heart clenched with sudden cold, only for a moment. Because in the next it flooded with relief again, albeit accompanied by a fair amount of wonder. The onslaught of high pressure water was suddenly met by a blazing globe of blue-green, tiny wing-like blades of light could be seen whirling about in a protective circle. A barrier of some sorts. My first intuition was to believe Kagome responsible, the other Jinja daughter had certainly enough skill and power at her disposal from what I could tell. But looking closer now I could see Kagome still kneeling and it was actually Sasami who stood, clearly straining, maintaining a high level power of such quality that I wondered if it not even surpassed Saturn's Silence Wall…

It was eerie, actually scary and very hard to comprehend… But right now all I cared about was that Sasami was safe, that both were safe, and, turning to regard the demonic creature who had dared enter these grounds and thought it could go around attacking and killing those under my care, that something was going to pay dearly for this. I sharpened my boiling anger, not suppressing it but fueling my focus with it. Right now I was the one responsible for the Jinja, for its safety and that of everyone who lived here. I would teach that evil spirit that no one angered Hino Rei, Sailorsenshi or not.

******************************

(Sango)

I have been trained to fight since I was little. Actually I had participated in my first real battle much earlier when was normal for the children in our village. Often had I faced impossible odds but always found that I could rely on my training, instinct and wits to prevail against any opponent with very few exceptions. Hunting and exterminating Youkai was a dangerous job, one that could get you easily killed when you made a mistake. All of us had made a mistake, not seeing Naraku's trap before it was too late and that had ended up nearly killing us all. That was when I had met Inuyasha and the others and started to rely more on group work and support than usual. Yet that didn't mean that I wasn't able to take care of a problem myself anymore.

That is, if the problem didn't happen to be a several feet tall snake-like Youkai. That alone wouldn't have been a problem. The real unnerving thing was that it was technically dead already, driven by an infernal thirst for vengeance. Vengeance obviously directed at us now. I wondered why that was? I was pretty sure we had never fought a giant snake Youkai before. I think I would remember that.

Tugging myself into a roll I managed to land on my feet, moments after taking the beam of water into the side. My mind was feverishly trying to think up a way of combating this thing. Physical attacks would barely harm it. The seemingly solid body was just a shell, a tool. Which left only… That was when I happened to glance back towards Kagome, realizing with dawning horror that the Youkai spirit wasn't focusing its attacks on me. My breath caught for a long, infinite-seeming moment as I saw the torrent of water snapping its hungry mouth shut over the place where I was certain my lover was right now.

No! I screamed internally, my mind rebelling against the thought that this could happen again. Thankfully enough the moment was broken just as quickly as it had begun when a barrier of blue-greenish light flickered into existence that made me simultaneously gasp in relief and astonishment. The only thing I could really compare it with were Miroku's barriers, but his paled in sheer potency against this. And it wasn't Kagome who did. That wasn't the Shikon's power.

Deciding that I could dwell on that later, I took the opportunity just as Rei started to draw the Youkai's attention away from the pair, displaying an angry but calculated rage that was all too understandable. I felt like renewing my attack as well but held my feelings in check, my strategic mind overriding the impulse. My own spiritual powers were barely adequate. I was a fighter, not a priestess, miko or other form of spiritualist. I did know a little but not enough to be of great help here. This was more in Kagome's area.

Or Rei's, as I noted with fascination, seeing her engage the snake spirit in fierce, spiritual combat, keeping it busy for the moment. But it was apparent that her ofudas and spiritual powers barely seemed to do anything more than annoy the creature, which really worried me. I could not fathom how something reeking this much negative energy could even breach the Jinja's barriers. There was something more going on here.

Shaking my head, I realized that standing around here thinking about it was not getting me any further. I was sure Kagome had already figured something out. What she needed now was a bow and arrows. It gnarled me to leave the side of the battle, but that was the only and best thing I could do right now.

******************************

(Kagome)

I was still dizzy from the fall I took when Sango pushed me away and my immediate concern was with her and how she had taken the hit. I knew my lover was tough and had survived much more. However, without her armor… So I was distracted and did not realize my own peril until it was almost too late. Making a split-second decision, driven by the crystal-clear realization that I could not leave Sango alone now, not be the another loss, I concentrated on the Shikon no Tama and…

Didn't need to even drew an ounce of power - much to my relief - since the next moment I saw a flash of blue - other than the water - rush in front of me, followed by an outburst of almost overwhelming spiritual energy. The barrier was made of pure mana, or that is at least what I thought, a power output that would have sent even Kikyou into stupor.

That was when I saw it though. The apparition with blurry outlines and I recognized right away what it was I saw there. A dryad, I thought in wonder, and a very powerful one. It bore a striking resemblance to Sasami actually and sure enough as I fully focused on the figure standing in front of me, I saw that the ghostly figure was merely an extension of the younger girl's aura who stood her ground right now with strained concentration.

What is she? I wondered, still stunned by the discovery. The girl wasn't normal. I had already known that when we first met. That she was already bounded to an elemental of such high standing and power only underpinned that theory. There was still more though that even with Kikyou's knowledge I wasn't quite able to grasp. No dryad, be they ever that strong, should be able to manifest that much power as I felt in the barrier. Not unless…

I suppressed the shudder and was thankful when my focus was broken by another impact against the barrier. Sasami shuddered under the strain. I could see through the semi-transparent field that Rei had a hard time getting through to the Youkai. In fact her efforts didn't even seem to bother him. Something just wasn't right here. There was something protecting it from the positive-charged attacks of the older miko. The thing wasn't that strong on its own and a dead spirit should be especially vulnerable to clerical power. I had been suspicious already when it started to conjure up water so easily as if it itself were some kind of elemental creature and not just a lousy…

I glanced back sharply at Sasami and the discovery I just made about her… She shuddered under another attack and I could see the form of the elemental growing more pronounced the stronger her host concentrated.

Of course! The cloaking power I felt earlier. That was it.

"Rei-san!" I called out. There is an undine spirit attached to it! That is how it could slip through the wards!" I wasn't sure if she heard me or if it would even do any good. This was a Fire Jinja. If the thing captured itself an elemental spirit of the opposite power it would act as both a shield and a cloak against the holiness of these grounds and the attacks Rei threw at it. Elementals were natural beings, they weren't effected by holy powers as much as a more demonic creature would. The Youkai was obviously borrowing its powers right now. There was something familiar about this too. Borrowing powers…

Just as realization hit me, Sasami fell to her knees, still holding the barrier upright. I doubted that the problem was that the field wasn't strong enough. Without wanting to exaggerate, from what I could sense it probably could survive the backlash of a heavy detonation at point-blank range. No, the real problem was that keeping it upright was putting a strain on the younger girl.

If I just had my…

As if on cue, Sango, who I had lost sight of, appeared at our side, carrying a bow and a quiver of arrows. Thank the kami that she was clever enough to read a situation instinctively and act correspondingly. "Sasami-chan, let go. I take it from here." The blue-haired girl almost immediately collapsed the barrier, thankful for the breather. Rei had managed to temporally distract the Youkai spirit again, but not for long.

Snatching the bow from Sango, I stood upright and had an arrow aimed within a few moments. Narrowing my eyes and forcing myself not to see with my peripheral vision, it took but another moment to detect what I was looking for. There was obviously the working of a magical entrapment and a presence similar to that of Sasami's dryad.

"You are still the same dirty cheater, Suijin!" I called out drawing its attention but much too late since the arrow was already flying, leaving a blazing trail of holy energy that struck home with clear accuracy, breaking the binding spell that held the undine inside captive. It was yet too weak to break free on its own but the source of the Youkai spirit's power was gone, as was the protection it could draw on against our efforts. "Rei-san, now!"

The older miko didn't hesitate much longer. Holding up a single ofuda she chanted under her breath, her voice rising in volume as the simple paper strip began to radiate in a deep crimson, fiery glow. Deprived of its equally stolen power source, the spirit was once again the low level creature it had once been in life. It didn't stand a chance at all.

******************************

(Sasami)

The conclusion of the battle had been anti-climatic really. Rei's final attack had pretty much ripped apart the spirit, freeing it finally of the vengeance thirst that had driven it for a long time. That was what puzzled me actually. Tsunami was certain the spirit was old. At least several centuries. However, it seemed like Kagome and Sango knew the creature when it was still alive and that grudge that chained it to this plane was obviously caused by them. Neither had elaborated much and in fact we were all too tired to discuss everything right now. It was the middle of the night already and the battle had exhausted me.

I had never before summoned the Light Hawk Wings like that. Tsunami had told me that I should be able to do so with growing experience and age but the strain was phenomenal. I really wondered how Tenchi did it. Then again, his projection was self-made while I still partially drew from an outside source. I suspected that when we were fully assimilated, summoning the Wings wouldn't be that much of a problem anymore.

That didn't make me feel much better right now. Keeping up the barrier had drained me of pretty much all my internal resources and I would have opted to sleep right there in the yard, not being able to move a muscle and honestly not wanting to. I smiled inwardly at the memory of a gallant Rei picking me up and carrying me back to my room with utmost care. And here we were now. I, on the verge of slipping into dreamland, and her, sitting on the edge of the bed, her expression pensive, much more open than usual.

Silence hang in the air like a heavy blanket while I studied the older girl carefully, trying to judge her mood and what she might be thinking right now. She hadn't made to move - and leave me to sleep - for about two long minutes now, just sitting there, staring out of the window distressed, troubled. It was as if she feared that I could vanish on her any moment. While the thought of that much concern made me feel giddy, I could also see the unease in the raven-haired miko.

Mustering some remote strength, I reached up with one hand to touch her cheek, making Rei blink and focus on me with startled, purple eyes. "I'm alright, Rei, really. Just tired. Nothing a good night's sleep can't cure," I assured her, managing a soothing smile.

"If you say so." Unfortunately it did little to dispel the troubling expression and as nice as it was to know that Rei was concerned about me, I never liked to see people sad or worrying like this. The older miko surprised me by taking my hand in hers holding it in a firm grip. "You scared me out there," she admitted softly.

I closed my eyes, knowing that this might come but unable to suppress the pang of disappointment and sadness in my heart. That was why I had not wanted to reveal too much of my own power, did not want to let her see what I was capable of before I was certain of her feelings, certain that it wouldn't matter. I had been so sure that she was the right one for me, that she wouldn't… But I suppose it was only natural to be scared of the kind of power I wielded. That didn't mean that she thought any less of me…

"I could have lost you tonight," Rei continued, startling me out of my thoughts. Blinking my eyes, realization dawned on me that I had just made a false assumption. The other girl hadn't even referred to the feat I had just pulled of, she had been scared of possibly losing me. I couldn't contain the flush of embarrassment and neither the flattered feeling. "And I…" I glanced up seeing a storm brewing in purple eyes boring into me with an intensity in which I threatened to drown. "I couldn't stand that. Not until I know, for sure, what I…" She struggled with her words, clearly reluctant to admit anything more than she already did.

I squeezed her hand gently. "I'm still here, Rei-chan. Thanks to you, and everyone." I couldn't help the question that sprang to my lips though, curious about the one thing that I dreaded could drive a wedge between our growing relationship as it did with me and Tenchi, with me and the others. Everyone I cared about… "You… aren't even curious about what… I did?" I queried, believing the issue had simply been pushed back for the moment, overridden by the stronger emotions of concern for my welfare.

Rei blinked and wondered obviously what I was talking about for a moment. Finally she got the implications and her voice became serious. "You saved Kagome and yourself," was all she said at first, as if that already was the end of the matter. Eventually she added, "Of course, I am curious. However, we all have secrets, don't we. Kagome-san and Sango-san too. How can I expect you to tell me yours if you don't know my own or that of the others?"

I thought about that for a moment, amazed at the sincerity and conviction in the older girl's tone. The logic would have been more comforting if not for the fact that basically I knew her secret already, thus making me feel guilty for holding back on mine.

"I'm sure you will tell me when you believe it's the right time," Rei clarified, curiously enough saying exactly the thing I needed to hear right now, to placate my guilt and firming the impression I had that if that time came, Rei would understand, probably better than anyone ever had.

"I'm glad," I admitted simply, giving her hand another squeeze before letting go. I was horribly tired and really needed my sleep now. As if on cue, a yawn escaped my lips. "I guess I should sleep now," I said with a chuckle, intending to lighten the mood.

Rei seemed not entirely convinced yet that I was alright, despite the physical and spiritual exhaustion that is. "Are you sure you'll be alright? You can stay in bed tomorrow if you want and rest. I'm sure we can manage one day without your divine cooking." A faint grin played around her lips.

"Sounds nice," I replied with another yawn, finding it hard to even concentrate. And from what I could see, sheer stubbornness was the only thing holding the other girl awake, concealing her own tired state. I reached out once more to touch Rei's cheek and with a gently chiding but firm tone, said. "Go to bed, Rei-chan." And unable to resist the opportunity, added teasingly, "Unless you want to sleep right here." The other girl's face flushed crimson. "I'm sure it's big enough…" I trailed off.

As if stung by a bee, Rei hastily jumped up. "Ah… That's not… necessary. I think I can still make it to my room." She hesitated for a moment longer, looking back at me once more. "Are you sure that you are…"

This time I sent her a look that showed my unrestrained annoyance. As nice as the concern was, I REALLY needed my sleep and if she didn't let this drop right now, I intended to make good and serious on my teasing and drag her under the covers with me just to get some sleep.

To my remote disappointment, Rei seemed to get the message now and backed out of the room quickly. "Right." With a softer voice just before she closed the door, she added, "Oyasumi, Miko-chan."

I stared at the door for a few more seconds, wondering if I had imagined the last bit in my drowsy state. A nickname? Deciding to dwell on that later and that trying to dispel the possibility would rob me of a pleasant feeling, I closed my eyes, whispering softly, "Oyasumi, Rei-chan…"

TBC

Author's Notes

And another down. Beginning this side arc I had planned to do only two main parts but then things began to develop more and more in my mind and I soon realized that wouldn't work, it would become too long. So basically I made a cut here since it was the best spot to do so.

As for notes. Well, I think I started to hint at some of the secrets and background here. Keep in mind that when you read this, there has been some time between canon end/where I interjected into canon and this story, so a lot of things have happened that you are not supposed to know about unless you are me, my muse or Ay-chan. :) Those histories will be revealed in due time. Some here, some in the main arc. It's a big and interwoven project after all. For now, speculate all you want, this part should have given you plenty of fuel to do so.

Yes, the Inuyasha element only follows canon to a certain point from where I changed the story "a little" as you probably suspected already. Don't ask me what exactly happened to the two girls that made them what they are now. As said above, all in due time.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that earlier but I think I didn't. Most of the references to Rei's past are based on facts and my own conclusions and speculations from the Casablanca manga special that came with the Kaguya special issue. A lot of what I talk about has its origin there. Of course, a lot of time has passed since then and now (it's easy to figure out that the Casablanca special took place shortly after Moon, Mercury, Mars and Jupiter got together), so that is why Rei's view has changed a little.

I hope I managed to portray the confusion in Rei's feelings believable. I find Manga-Rei a little harder to write than Anime-Rei in my honest opinion and really hope I managed to do so well enough.

A short note for everyone who happened to read the older version of part 1 and is now confused about this point (it really wasn't around long before I corrected this). Rei's grandfather in the manga isn't exactly the same as the perverted Happosei-clone in the anime. Actually he seems to be a regular old man judging from the Casablanca special and doesn't show up nearly as often as anime-grandpa does.

Err, if anyone wonders about the portal reference in the beginning at the fair… Go play BSSM Another Story… If I go around explaining all that now, it would take too long and it isn't really necessary to understand this story. Not at all actually.

So, Rei and Sasami are getting closer (am I doing a good job there?), Kagome and Sango are getting better. Only two people left to complete the "Miko Sisters" as you know them from Dusk already. So wait for the next part. I've just got my admittance for university, starting October. I try to wrap at least the main portion of this side arc up until then. Can't promise anything though. So if you have to wait a little on this, it is most likely because Real Life claimed most of my time.

Feedback as always to the addy above, expected to come plentiful.

Ja ne, yours

Matthias