InuYasha Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Miko Love ❯ Miko Sisters ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Miko Love

Subtitle: Miko Sisters

Status: Alpha

Author: Matthias aka MysticMew

Email: Minaru@gmx.de

(Plot) Beta-reader: Ayrki

Rating: PG-13

Category: Romance, Drama/Angst, Crossover/Fusion (somewhat)

Fandoms: Sailormoon (manga), Tenchi Muyo (OVA), Inu-Yasha and Vision of Escaflowne (both later on)

Main Pairings: Rei/Sasami, Kagome/Sango

Timeline: Mainly about three years after the manga (BSSM) and OVA. This is part of the Soul Lights Continuum

Summary: After a hard decision of leaving Jurai Sasami and Tsunami find unexpected shelter with a young miko on Earth and something else…

Distribution: Soul Lights Continuum (http://sl.catstrio.de), Starsinlove-group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starsinlove), ff.net (www.fanfiction.net), Mediaminer (www.mediamer.org), ASMR (www.moonromance.net), Shoujo Ai.com (www.shoujoai.com). Anyone else, you can have it but please ask first, 'kay?

Disclaimer: See individual disclaimers below intro

Story Disclaimer: Copyright©2004 by Matthias Engel

Note: () indicates change of POV to the listed character, if empty then the following will be done in third person, a question mark indicates a character who is either unknown yet to the reader or should stay that way for now. <> Indicated time/place if necessary

 

******************************

 

Quick Note

 

Regarding Mizuki who will be in this part (together with Hitomi). I'm pretty sure I mentioned where she comes from already in one of the main arcs notes of Dusk but for those new to the Continuum, I'll say it again here.

I realize that everyone bare of the most addicted hardcore otakus of the Tenchi Muyo universe would probably be able to recognize the name or the person behind it. To make it short. Mizuki is a character from the Tenchi Muyo RPG for the Super Famicon. It's not incredible good but anyway… that is not the point here. The game introduces to new characters mainly Mizuki and Kusumi, her mother/creator, (another) rival of Washu from her academy days (geez, she got a lot, huh?)….

 

SPOILER WARNING

 

The plot is rather simple. Mizuki gets sent to Earth to draw out Tenchi and the others by first capturing Sasami. The latter is rescued during the game and Mizuki failing to defeat Ryoko is shunned by her mother. Now Ryoko is captured (and later temporally controlled) by Kusumi. Mizuki decides to join Tenchi-tachi to get some revenge on being treated like a failure. After Kusumi's eventual defeat, Mizuki goes and beats some sense into her and the "family dispute" seems more or less resolved.

 

END SPOILER WARNING

 

******************************

 

<Hikawa Jinja ()>

Grandfather Hino stood in the yard of the Jinja, the place he had tended to for many years, decades actually. When he had taken over the duty, he had soon found out it would be a life of solitude. No one of their family cared anymore about the family tradition. And he should be proven right. His son turned out to be a disgrace. Not so much in his decision to choose another path in life but more so in his foolishness to pull others along, whether they wanted to or not. His daughter-in-law had been promising. She had often come to visit but loyalty to her husband kept her from deepening her interest. With some training, she could have been an excellent miko, maybe even priestess…

The old man sighed, the memories weighing heavy on his old heart. He cursed himself for not intervening more strongly. He had still been head of the family, it would have been in his right… But he trusted that his children would find their own way and that it was not his place to tell them what to do with their life. It had been foolish of him not to see the destruction this wrought on everyone involved, and the one suffering the most under it had been little Rei, even now the effects were still visible.

At least until recently. She was being so much happier these days. The place that had long been such a lonely sanctuary was now filled with virtue, joy spreading from one end to the other. Ever since the four girls had banded together in an unlikely yet strangely harmonious group over the last couple of months, Hikawa Jinja was not the same anymore. And his heart felt enormously lighter knowing that.

It was almost odd, downright eerie, to have the place as deserted as it was now. At least he could once more fulfill his duties since his physical health had recovered greatly. Not that the girls had done a bad job. Not at all. In fact he felt quite pleased knowing the Jinja in such capable hands. But for now, he could be priest again. He was getting old and might enjoy this for a bit, especially after being in bed mostly for over two months!

It was still lonely though. Not the gentle voice of Kagome or the bickering between his granddaughter and the sturdy Sango - they tended to get into arguments a lot and he had a good idea of the cause. And there was not the happy laughter of the young, carefree spirit that had caught them all under her spell. Young Sasami who was a delight to be around and who his granddaughter had obviously taken a great liking towards. If he interpreted things right, the feeling was mutual. Now if Rei would just get over her innate fear…

The old man sighed once more. His granddaughter was making progress, a great deal thanks to the blue-haired girl for which he would be more than happy to forgo close-minded traditions - or rather prejudices. All he wanted was for his Rei to be happy, not to be caught up in the same tragedy that was her father and mother. Unfortunately that was the problem and he thought bitterly that a miracle would be necessary to lose her reservations about this kind of love.

Then again, if anyone could pull off that miracle, it might as well be Sasami. Maybe they'd be getting closer on the trip the four girls - young woman - had taken. With that in mind the old priest turned to go and speak a prayer for his granddaughter and her new friends.

 

******************************

 

M&M DreamWorks Presents

Miko Love

Miko Sisters

A Soul Lights Side Story

Based on the works of Takeuchi Naoko and all other assorted authors

Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon(c)Takeuchi Naoko

Tenchi Muyo(c)Pioneer

Inu-Yasha, Ranma 1/2(c)Takahashi Rumiko

The Vision of Escaflowne(c)Kawamori Shoji, Yatate Hajime

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

I had to admit that I missed this. When I was staying with my sister at Tenchi's place, it had been rather remote and the fresh air there was positively invigorating. As time grew by I had actually delighted in making longer walks through the mostly untouched nature, basking in its beauty. I suppose that was partly a natural attraction, being bonded to a Life Tree and all that. City life was exciting sure, especially seeing that on Jurai I never had the chance to walk the common streets freely and unbothered. However, there was something about fresh mountain air and the impressions of untouched nature that was calming. Actually the effect was widely known throughout the Empire which is why many Tree Ships liked to generate a forest-like subspace setting to make their human partners more comfortable.

"I have to say. That was a great idea," Sango commented from her place where she was sitting submerged in the water next to Kagome, with one arm around the raven-haired girl's shoulders. She looked quite content, although it was debatable whether that was from the closeness to her girlfriend or the relaxing hot liquid.

We were currently all lounging in one of the many hot springs located here in this particular area. Since Rei's grandfather had gotten better to the point where he could take care of his priest's duties once again, Rei had made the offer to take us all along to one of her favorite spots for spiritual purification. Or that was the official cause. I knew her well enough by now that I suspected she wanted to give us all some private bonding time outside of the shrine duties. The incident with the spirit a little more than a month ago now had served to coalesce us into a stronger unit and served to make clear even more than before that our meeting was not just pure coincidence.

"Yes, this was a fantastic idea, Rei-dono. We've all been working so hard, it is nice to relax like that. And there are enough springs so that we can be on our own," Kagome added. The reservoir was actually well-visited from Jinja all throughout Tokyo and even other parts of Japan but the quantity of springs guaranteed a certain privacy to the various groups that came here.

"Would you stop calling me that?" Rei asked mildly irritated, getting a round of giggles in reply. It had become a common theme. At some point after the incident with the spirit, Kagome had pointed out that our little group needed some kind of leader and so my little joke from the day of the pair's arrival at the Jinja had been taken up again and we started to address Rei as "Head Miko" or simply with the more respective "-dono" suffix. Rei always seemed torn between pleased and embarrassed when we did. I believed that she secretly liked it.

"Besides," Rei continued. "We are not supposed to be relaxing. We are only here to cleanse our minds and hearts."

I giggled again at that, earning a cross look from the oldest among us. "You sound like an old monk who has spent decades in solitude."

Sango laughed at that. "She's right, you know. You can't just always concentrate on duties and responsibilities. You have to take time to relax once in awhile or life will pass you by before you know it." Something in her tone made me assume that the other girl was speaking from experience.

Rei glowered for a moment at Sango. Those two tended to be off different minds once in awhile. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as say, my sister and Ryoko - then again, barely anyone could match them - but where Rei was often arguing more on the spiritual side of things, Sango turned out to be more a practical, forward person who would rather take the more simple approach compared to thinking about it too long. She was a trained fighter - in what I wasn't too sure - that much I could tell.

Eventually our nominal leader sighed in defeat. "Oh, fine. Have it your way. I feel much too good right now to argue." And with that she leaned her head against the edge of the pool and closed her eyes. I had to smile fondly, catching myself for not the first time admiring her physical form in her semi-naked state with just a towel wrapped around herself. It was an opportunity I was thoroughly delighting in. Others might be scandalized that a girl of barely fourteen years - physical - age was entertaining such improper thoughts but I wasn't your ordinary fourteen year old, and back on Jurai many children, especially the royal ones were trained much earlier in the "bedroom arts" when the majority here. We were expected to marry early after all and produce heirs. Another thing that had played a role in my leaving - although that was more a pleasant accessory circumstance.

Besides, Rei and I WERE getting closer. Not so much on the emotional plane than on the physical one. That expressed itself by a heightened degree of unconscious actions, mostly on Rei's part, like holding hands, the occasional touch here and there to signal the other of your presence and silent support. We hadn't talked about what happened in the eve of the battle with the spirit but it was apparent that it was not just on my mind and that the older girl was getting more and more comfortable with our growing closeness.

The progress was a silent, not openly acknowledged one. But it was there and that alone gave me hope and the patience I needed to see this through. With every passing day I was falling more and more in love with the older miko and honestly could not even bring myself to entertain the thought of not living my life by her side. This feeling was much stronger, much more intense than anything I had ever felt for Tenchi before and had to admit to myself eventually that I had deluded myself into thinking a simple crush could be about actual love.

Feeling a bit bolder by now, encouraged by Rei's own growing signs of affection, I moved so that my hand was touching her shoulder underneath the surface. "You shouldn't stress yourself too much, Rei-chan. It only makes you more irritable and grumpy. I should know, Oneechan often is like that."

Rei shivered slightly at the contact but didn't pull away or showed in any other way that she was uncomfortable. In fact, a humorous smile played around her face, making her look even more radiant in my eyes. The body was one thing, but I often felt myself drawn back to her face, the smiles coming more freely and openly now. For me. That made me feel very special indeed. "So speaks my private consciousness," Rei teased and I blushed lightly but inwardly glowed at the comment.

Kagome and Sango shared a knowing look. "Do you miss your sister and family?" Kagome asked. One would be surprised to find that none of the others would make any inquiries about my past. I had been comfortable enough around the three older girls to talk more openly about personal things, like the occasional comment about my family, one of my friends… None of them had ever pressed the matter. I suppose that was a part of our common bond. All four of us shared some past experiences that we would rather not talk about and so the respect for that privacy was rather instinctual, and also the understanding and compassion should one of us let something slip.

"Hai, I do," I replied wistfully. In fact I had often thought back on my family back on Jurai and how they would be coping. Actually I knew some of the things through Tsunami and her connection to her children. Just because I left didn't mean that I stopped to care after all. I was pleased to see that things had started to quiet down but was a little saddened at the apparent concern I had caused. That couldn't be helped though.

I was startled feeling Rei's hand touch mine under the water, squeezing gently. Her violet eyes were resting on me with mild sympathy. I didn't really think about it when I leaned my head against the older girl's shoulder. Rei made no move to object though. "But I have you all, minna-san. And that is good enough for me at the moment."

Sango smirked but didn't comment.

 

******************************

 

(Kagome)

It was a little later, the sun had already vanished behind the mountain tops, when I found myself walking outside, relishing the clear air. I had to admit I had missed this. City air and nature air were two entirely different things. Before my first trip to the Sengoku Jidai I had never really noticed it. It was like realizing that there was a whole world outside your own house or something like that. The change had been gradual but I started to notice the difference… and I started to notice that I would prefer the clearer air of the past over the often smog-filled streets of modern Tokyo. Oh sure, I would complain about stuff like the lack of a proper bed or other such day-to-day comforts. Secretly though, I didn't really care all that much anymore. Despite trying to pretend otherwise, my bed had never felt the same again after my first trip through the well.

Then again, I suppose a lot of that was also because of Him. I could honestly say that meeting Inuyasha had changed my life. If positive or negative that was for others to judge and for me not to care about. Not anymore. It was done and I felt comfortable with who I was today. A little stronger and wiser. Not just your ordinary schoolgirl who had had no clear idea what to do with her life past school. My life had gotten a purpose back then and it had affected everything up until that moment.

And now I had knowledge, too. Knowledge no normal girl my age should possess without the proper training. Rei had asked me earlier how long I had been training to be a miko. Not really thinking about it I had answered as truthfully as technically possible, that I never had much interest in my grandfather's attempts of teaching until my fifteen birthday, which was now about two years ago. Not to surprising, Rei had been rather dubious.

I sighed. Sometimes it made me uncomfortable, that parting gift from Kikyou. We were so different. Reincarnation or not. Our very outlook on life was different. And I wanted to be angry at her for playing her part in the tragedy revolving around the now-thankfully-dead Naraku. But I couldn't really. Not after I had received all those memories and understood intimately what kind of life she had lived, what kind of sacrifices she had made, just for the very thing now hanging securely around my neck wherever I went. And thinking about that, I just couldn't really be angry anymore.

Still, I thought, sometimes I could do without all the extra knowledge. There are things you should rather stay oblivious to, for your own sanity's sake. Like Sasami for example. After the battle with the Youkai spirit who turned out to be an old adversary of ours - who had once impersonated a Water God and given us quite a bit of trouble in the process -, I had taken aside the youngest member of our group and carefully commented on what I've seen. She hadn't been terribly surprised at my discovery and asked me to keep quiet about it. She wanted to reveal things on her own time. To Rei mainly - it didn't take much to figure that out. I agreed but…

It's not all that easy to know you share a home with a walking embodiment of life. Kikyou had heard about the Life Tree, of course, and as much as I tried to deny it, there was simply no normal tree to match the power level of the dryad I had seen. And Sasami's harmonic aura that staid that way EVERYWHERE she went made much more sense this way.

I would respect her wishes though. What else could I do? I owed her already for how she had - unconsciously or not - helped Sango and I to finally begin loosening all that excess baggage from our experiences with Naraku. And Sasami was such a nice person. I didn't know any more details about her connection with that powerful elemental being but from what I could speculate, it was mind-boggling enough.

I had become rather sensitive though to how people felt and when they were uncomfortable. Sasami wasn't someone who threw her secret around with the intent on impressing people. I could say that with almost absolute certainty. In fact from what I had gauged from our short talk it made her somewhat uncomfortable. She wanted to be treated as normal and not as some supernatural being too far out of synch with normal life to be considered one of us. It made me sad, reminding me too much of Inuyasha. That was another cause why I staid silent.

She and Rei made such a sweet couple… potential couple. I wouldn't ruin that. There was no danger posed by Sasami, that was enough for me. Although I could not deny a certain curiosity. The blue-haired girl was a mystery. Her aura was so colorful and manifold it became confusing to figure it out. I had a feeling there was much more to her when just that one secret. It was not my place though. Not really. It was Rei who had to deal with it, who was supposed not to freak when it came to the revelation part. I was fairly certain she wouldn't.

I knew how common people reacted to what they did not understand. Even the gifted were prone to error or misjudgment as I had found out on the one or other occasion myself. Rei didn't strike me as the type of person to easily pass judgment. Once you got to know her, you found a compassionate, young woman who cared a lot for the ones she loved - especially a certain blue-haired girl lately. Quick to anger but also quick to forgive and forget.

Between Sango and I it wasn't so much a question whether or not they would get together anymore. Just a question of the When.

I was jolted out of my thoughts when I suddenly found my path blocked. Looking up surprised, I found a young-looking man - barely past his early twenties if I was to hazard a guess - standing there, clad in the traditional garb of a monk from some monastery. He was bald and shaven to the point of blinding, wearing a grin that might be impressively flattering to some girl but much too smug and false for my liking.

"My, what is such a delicious young flower doing out here all alone. Surely the gods must jest having such a rare gem without suitable companionship," the monk said with mock-outrage.

I could not help the blush. Even though I was already a little disgusted, I could not suppress the old urges. Until after I visited the Sengoku Jidai I had never had much experience with boys or love in general. But then men seemed to fall over me all of a sudden. Kouga, Houjou, and, of course, Inuyasha. It was a little flattering. And I might have even acknowledge that the fellow now was certainly handsome if not for the dramatic sweet talk.

I was ready to do something quite nasty - and you really don't want to know what - when he made to touch me, but I was saved from that particular course when the monk suddenly cried out in apparent discomfort. His arm had been grabbed and twisted slightly in a strong grip - and I could attest to the strength from firsthand experience - by Sango who seemed to have come out of nowhere.

"You must be mistaken, mister. My friend here," she emphasized by stepping around the taller man, still holding him immobile in a rather easy-seeming manner, and pulling me against her with her other arm quite possessively, "is taken already. So, go harass some other girl. Preferably where I can't see you."

The man put up a brave and defiant front for a moment but Sango obviously wanted to make a point and the angry hiss, punctuating her claim, made the monk avert his gaze sharply, stumbling back when the Taijiya let go of his arm. With that Sango turned us around and started to walk away. I had not much choice but to follow along. A glance over my shoulder revealed that the fellow stood there quite stunned, looking after us with the appearance like a fish on dry land.

I chuckled, despite feeling more like shivering in positive delight at the possessive way Sango kept holding me. "You are pretty jealous," I commented teasingly.

Sango remained serious though. "I have every cause to be. After all I have the prettiest girl around here as my girlfriend."

I blushed again, this time genuine. Tilting my head, I put a fluttering kiss on the other girl's cheek. "I don't mind that you are possessive. It feels nice," I replied softly and with an affectionate grin added, "my protector."

 

******************************

 

(Rei)

I had come up here often, both before and after I became a Senshi. This place was a perfect place for meditation and - even if I was damned to admit that in front of Sango - relaxing. The air was clean and perfect and the hot springs definitely refreshing for body and mind. And it also was a place away from the general hubbub of the city. A place of solitude. Perfectly suited for me… Or that's what it had been like before and shortly after I met my comrades. The last years, I had felt more and more lonely here. To a point where I had invited Usagi and the others to come with me last year. I think it was probably the first time I did something like that. A testament to the sisterhood existing between us. I had wanted to do the same this year but not all of them had found the time. Technically, I didn't have the time either. I still had studies to catch up with. However, visiting here had been kind of a ritual in itself for years.

And so I had taken Sasami and the other two along. It made sense after all. We were all working at the same Jinja now. We needed to get along better and this was a perfect opportunity… Of course, I already knew that we worked great together. That had been proven not only by the brief skirmish with the evil spirit but also in the time afterwards. An immediate kinship seemed to have formed between us. Unconsciously, without much words or actions. It was just there. Six or so years ago, before I met Usagi and the others, I would have been wary. But now, things were different. I couldn't master the motivation for skepticism, to always see the negative in closer association anymore. What we had was a good thing and I wanted to enjoy it.

Too long had the Jinja been a lonely place. They had given the place a new, brighter light. A light I hope we could preserve. Together. Guess I am getting soft, I thought and chuckled at the observation.

Kagome had gone out to take a late night stroll some time ago. Sango had followed a bit later. Not surprisingly. Those two rarely strayed far from each other and even more rarely did they stay apart for any greater length of time. I wasn't sure they even could. As much as that sounded like exaggeration, it really wasn't. There was a kind of desperation in their bond, like an invisible chain that tied them together and which would snap and couldn't be repaired if they spent too much time without the other. I wasn't sure I even wanted to know the exact cause behind this, that wasn't my business. But it made me a little sad and also angry for whatever wrong had been done to them.

I acknowledged that aspect though, trying not to have them separated too much. When it came to handing out chores, I made sure they would be close together most of the time. A little annoying, but a minor sacrifice to make them comfortable. And I would be a bad hostess - and Head Miko as they continued to label me -, if I didn't make sure that those under my care were indeed comfortable. We were friends, kindred spirits. Why would I want them unhappy?

Thinking about the pair brought me involuntarily back to Sasami and myself these days and our own… well, let's call it "hard to separate" status. I was aware of the subtle changes in our… relationship. There hadn't been any words exchanged regarding the younger girl's more or less revealing actions. I couldn't bring myself to do that and she wasn't pursuing the issue. Something I was both relieved and anxious about. It was obvious that Sasami was giving me time but I had no idea how to take that, what to do with it. I was torn in two directions and unable to decide. And so covert actions had to speak and they did indeed form a message… A message that scared me. I was no fool, I knew what it meant. And I would have let my heart jump at the opportunity maybe if not for…

I shook my head. It seemed more and more like I was already caught in the spider's web with no way out and the more I struggled, the more entangled I became. And still I couldn't help it. I was too scarred to just plunge forward headfirst. I just couldn't do it.

And still I was looking for her again, was I not? Sasami had just gone out to get some refreshments but hadn't been back until now which could have numerous reasons. One of them the simple fact that the line in front of the café that was up here, serving the reservoir's guests with food and drinks, was quite large. I groaned inwardly. Had I become so… dependant on her presence? You've become pathetic, Rei, I chided myself but continued onwards nonetheless.

Soon the café came into view and it took me only a moment to spot my query. After all, I didn't need to locate her unique aura. Hairstyle and color were rather outstanding around here. She wore the traditional white and red miko garb and I had to admit it suited her just fine. Actually it made her look rather… No, I would not go there!

She hadn't seen me yet being almost at the front of the line. I decided to wait here since she had to come back this way. That was when I saw something that made my blood boil. I knew the fellow. He had a reputation around here for being a womanizer, came practically every year, just like myself, and never failed to attract some attention. And he was talking to Sasami. Sweet, innocent Sasami who…

I pushed through the crowd, ignoring irritated shouts. It was one of these instances again where I didn't really think about what I was doing - happened a lot lately when it concerned Sasami. All I wanted to do was getting the younger girl away from that lecher. I arrived just in time to hear him spout his usual nonsense. I was fairly disgusted.

"How far have you sunken already, Touchimaru. Now you need to harass younger girls already. Did no one else want to be rescued by you?" I sniped coldly, putting my hands on my hands and sending the older monk who had whirled around startled a murderous glare.

It took him a moment to compose himself but when he did, I regretted that I had not taken Sasami and left right away. The stupid fool didn't take refusals well. He tended to develop a sort of obsession. "Hino-san! What a delight to see your beautiful face again. Alas, I have no time for you right now. I have already promised that fair maiden to spent the evening with me. You would have to agree that such an exotic flower can hardly be left alone and without…"

I groaned audibly. I really didn't want to hear that nonsense any longer than I needed and I was seriously considering breaking some of our basic rules and transform right here, just so that I could roast him well for having the nerve to bother a minor. Not to mention Sasami of all people. What I did though, was once again more instinctive than rational. Pushing past him I interrupted his speech and slipped an around Sasami's shoulder. Glaring up at the older monk I made certain that he understood exactly what I meant with my next words, "You are mistaken, Touchimaru-san. The fair maiden is not without companionship. In fact she is with me and I would approve of it if you leave now and not bother my friend again."

For a moment, the monk stood there perplexed, then his expression darkened considerably and turning away with a scowl I barely caught his mumbled words when he stalked away. "What is it with girls these days? Don't they appreciate a real man anymore? Surely the gods must play a dirty joke on me today."

I had to smirk at the comment. From his words I had the distant idea that he had run into either Kagome or Sango. And that that hadn't gone well for him was not hard to figure out. Served him right in my opinion.

That was when I became aware that I was still holding Sasami protectively and that we had attracted quite a bit of attention. Sasami hadn't said anything yet. In fact, she seemed to enjoy the contact and while my rational mind was screaming at me to let go, I could not deny the sudden rush of warmth I felt right now.

Unfortunately Sasami had to say the worst possible thing then. With a teasing look she finally glanced over her shoulder. "You are getting awfully possessive, Rei-chan."

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

What did I do? What did I do?

The one thought ran frantically through my mind. I kept thinking back on what happened just a few minutes ago. It had started innocently enough. I had been thirsty and told Rei that I would get something to drink, asked her if she wanted something too, of course. Arriving at the café, I had found a rather long line but I wasn't in any particular hurry. Then, almost to the front, some stranger addressed me rather untowardly. I have to admit, I was not the type to get that much attention, especially from older men. Even possible marriage candidates had often treated me more like a child and, thinking about my sister, I was always comfortable with that. Even Tenchi could often not see past that circumstance…

But that bitter thought didn't belong here. I had learned how to deal with Touchimaru's kind though. Ayeka had taken me aside once and told me a couple of things. How to treat nobles who got a little bit too personal for your liking. And that guy reminded me too much of their sort back on Jurai. Thus, I had been prepared to deal with him accordingly. I might have been a little flattered since advances like that didn't happen to me often but I had not completely lost my wits. Beside, my focus was set in a different direction already.

Turned out that I didn't have to do anything in the end. I had no idea why Rei showed up - maybe she got lonely without me? - but I was definitely glad about it. Really, really flattered actually to have her hold me like that. In public. The old cliché about dying right there and being happy had a certain appeal. It might have even been preferable to what followed.

I had just been teasing. She should be used to it by now. And I really had not been aware that I was crossing some sort of line. She never had reacted like that before. Alright, maybe she tended to get a little uncomfortable when I hinted at any kind of closeness displayed. But Rei had never…

I sighed. It had to be what I said, couldn't quite figure out the why, but it had to be. The older miko had looked white like a ghost there for a moment and I've been really worried then. I had reached out for her when she had let go of me to step back. I wanted to know what was wrong. She'd looked at me really scared then. For a moment I had thought it was me and that had hurt. That was exactly the sort of reaction I didn't want from her. For a fleeting moment I had thought that she might have found out my secret, that maybe Kagome had told her after all. But that didn't make much sense. And then I realized that it wasn't me. She seemed more… scared of herself.

The realization came too late though. Rei had already disappeared in the crowd by the time I regained control of myself. And now here I was, frantically looking for the older miko all over the place. I was frightened that without knowing I might have damaged whatever we had beyond repair and that fear made me feel cold and helpless. With every moment that passed, every place I didn't find her at, my anxiety grew and I could think less and less straight.

Focus, Sasami. I wasn't sure if that was my thought or Tsunami. Regardless, I knew I had to follow it. Aimlessly running around would do me nothing. I could find Rei when I just concentrated. Even with as much spiritual-gifted in the area as here, the raven-haired girl normally stood out like a vivid flame. And the connection we shared should make this even easier. I wondered how much time I had wasted walking and running around, simply trying to find my quarry by sight alone. Love could really make you crazy, I suppose.

Forcing myself to stand still, I searched for my inner center and then reached out into the surrounding area. I could feel Tsunami's comforting presence in the background, gently surrounding me and aiding my focus. There were Kagome and Sango. I smiled at the image I got. But where was… Ah! There she was. Not really far from here. Surprisingly enough I had unconsciously searched in the right direction, as if drawn to my nominal love interest.

That taken care of, I resumed my accelerated pace, this time with more purpose. I had to get to the bottom of this. The thought that Rei might want some time alone, didn't even enter my mind at that point. I had to know what was going on and what I had done wrong. How else was I supposed to know what to watch out for the next time. Besides, she didn't seem angry at me, more like a personal problem. And even if I had no feelings at all for Rei, I did not like seeing a friend hurt.

While I followed the spiritual trail, I went over the scene earlier once more and wondered once again what could have upset the other girl so much. Situations like this showed that despite being physically around fourteen, my experience in the love field were barely passable and equaled more my chronological age… if at all. All my skills and knowledge didn't do me much good here. Tsunami never really had a love interest herself and couldn't help. Which left me. The young girl forced to grow up too quickly, skipping some fundamental lessons in the process.

This wasn't the first time that circumstance reared its ugly head. I had expected too much of Tenchi when we returned to Jurai, I had unconsciously pushed him too far where he was already stressed enough by the political chaos at that time. I might be growing up much faster, but that didn't exactly mean that I had fully left behind my childhood. Quite on the contrary. Where others went about that change gradually - as it should be - I was often torn between the one and the other extreme. And that often showed in stupid, childish actions or simply the inability to understand things on a more mature plane. In short, I was making mistakes without even realizing them and could not do a thing about them.

*I'm sorry,* Tsunami offered sincerely.

"Not your fault," I reassured her, finally spotting Rei in the distance. She was sitting on a formation of small rocks on the edge of the mountain. From here the path winded downwards, back into the valley.

Slowly I approached her position, making no attempt to hide my presence. She probably knew that I was there anyway. Keeping a worried eye on her averted form, I settled down right next to her, keeping just a little bit of respectful distance. Rei made no move to acknowledge my presence, neither positive nor negative.

I followed her gaze for the moment, looking out over the valley. Bits of Tokyo could be seen in the distance, the mighty Tokyo Tower for example. The view was breathtaking, I had to admit, and had the situation been different, I would have been happy enough to just sit here and enjoy it. As it was, there was once again a thick silence, reminding me of that one evening shortly after my arrival at the Hikawa Jinja. The other instant where I had almost lost her friendship. In the end, everything had been put right surprisingly easy. That was when I had figured out for certain how much I really cared for Hino Rei. That I was thoroughly in love with my older host. Things had looked up from then on. I wondered if this now was the end of my pursuit. The ultimate defeat. It felt like it. Then again, I had thought that as well the last time.

I risked a glance towards Rei again. Shyly, carefully. What I found were troubled purple eyes moving to meet my own in utter synchrony, lips slightly parted as if to say something. Just like my own. A weak smile formed around my lips. A tiny knowing grin on the older girl's face. A secret smile of mutual humor shared by us both.

No, I reasoned, as I turned look forward again. Not a defeat. This storm would be weathered as well. And whatever was troubling Rei, I would try and help her as much as possible. I would show her that I wasn't so easily deterred and that I was willing to care for her, for all her needs.

 

******************************

 

(Rei)

I had gone and done it again. I had acted impulsively instead of rational and calm. What good was all my training if I couldn't control my feelings when it mattered? Not that I normally couldn't. It was just her. It was always her. Before I met Sasami I was fairly proud of my level of self-control. It was by far not perfect and I knew my temper shown through sometimes. But only if I found it really necessary. Sasami could throw my entire composure off-balance by just merely being in my presence.

She brought out the best and the worst in me. That was probably the easiest way to describe it. Was that love? I guess it was. After all I was getting possessive already.

Gee, now you are getting sarcastic in your head, I thought bitterly. The problem was that I knew that more than a spark of truth lurked behind it all. And yet, I cursed myself for having overreacted like this. I should have known better than to take her words this seriously. The poor child probably had no idea in what wound she accidentally stepped. It was annoying really, that after all these years, all my attempts to close that chapter of my life permanently, I could not leave it behind. I didn't like living in the past and still…

I sighed. It seemed like I had no choice but to tell the younger girl just what was the matter. Knowing her, she wouldn't rest peacefully before she knew, and I really owed her an explanation. No one had ever been so caring towards me before. Not on such a deep, personal level. I felt like I could really trust her. She was already more than simply a kindred spirit. Much more…

And I desperately hoped that turned out not to be a bad thing.

Sasami shifted slightly. "Rei-san, I want to…"

I held up a hand. "No please, don't apologize. I was being stupid and if anyone should apologize it ought to be me." Without really knowing what I did, I reached out to put one hand on her shoulder, forcing myself not to avert my gaze from her pinkish-red eyes. "I made you worry."

Sasami's eyes were gentle. "I like to worry about you." Once again I felt my cheeks flush at the affection directed at me. I wasn't used to that, but I did not look away. "I tend to expect too much sometimes. You know, I really am not as old as I seem but on the other one maybe much too old at times. It is hard to find the balance." Somehow I had the feeling she wasn't being figurative here. "I am just as inexperienced with this as you are. The only other person I thought I loved before…" She turned away, a barely audible sigh escaping her lips. "I expected too much there. I don't know very much about love other than childish notions like the knight in shining armor that comes and sweeps me off my feet at one point." I had to smile at that and Sasami seemed to relax more. Her eyes though, focused again on mine, were still serious, solemn even. "I only know that I really like you, Rei. And when I said something wrong earlier, please tell me. I don't want to hurt you."

It was my turn to avert my gaze, the deep flush thoroughly embarrassing. For someone who just claimed she had not much experience on the love field either, Sasami sure could create a striking effect with most of what she said or did. Then again, I had never really had to deal with someone else on this emotional level since Kaidou. Maybe that was why I felt so easily flattered.

"Some time ago, I realized that I didn't want to fall in love," I began silently. "I thought I would want to make everything mine if I did." This was still a sore issue. I had made that particular resolution after the incident with the Rain Trees. The memories invoked in that time had been too much to bear and I didn't have someone to really confide in, to trust like… like I trusted Sasami now. And that was why I was able to let my shields down around her, wasn't it? The thought was more comfortable when thinking that it was her who could tear down my barriers so easily.

Things had changed since that time, too. I had seen other examples. Usagi and Mamoru. But I had often treated them more as the exception. Their love was something special. Something seemingly untouchable. "I know now, that that's only part of the truth. Love is both selfish and selfless. You decide that for yourself but…" I didn't believe that love like this could ever be for myself. And that was why I could not help, could not stop to doubt, could not stop to be scared of it - and it was time I admitted that to myself.

There was a moment of silence in which Sasami obviously mulled over my words. Very carefully she asked eventually, "Is this… about your father?"

Was it? That was a fairly good question. It started there, I suppose, but I could not blame my attitude solely on him after all. Only a fair-sized portion. "He wanted to have everything, too. Family and his career." And that was when it started to go downhill, that was where I really started to blame my father. "They were happy when they got together - or that is what Okaasan had always told me… He should have let her go then. That or give up his career." I had seen pictures of them. When they were younger. At their wedding and before that. Grandfather had shown them to me and I had always had trouble comparing them to the cold and distant man of the present. "But he wanted both and… We ended up suffering under it. I don't really blame him for choosing his career. I blame him for being so selfish."

I was startled when short arms wrapped around me and Sasami leant forward to rest her head on my shoulder. I shuddered and wrestled with the impulse to draw away from the unexpected and quite intimate contact. It felt so… safe, so right. The impulse to pull away lost and I found myself awkwardly returning the hug. That was probably as far as one of us had ever went since that telltale kiss on the cheek weeks ago. It felt so natural to hold the younger girl like this, and to be held in return.

Sasami lifted her head to look at me, with quiet compassion but also a gentle firmness in her eyes that would allow no argument. "You are not like him," she said softly. And the way she put it coupled with her totally convincing expression, I was inclined to believe her.

And yet I whispered back my own fears, rhe root of the entire problem, "I'm afraid that I am."

Once again. I could not predict the reaction. Not at all. That was part of the mystery that was Sasami. You could never be totally sure what to expect. There was happy, carefree Sasami, there was the more mature Sasami who often brooded too much for her own good. And so many more facets in between.

Right now she was giggling, pulling away so that she could catch her breath. I couldn't help feeling a little hurt and conveyed that in the bewildered look I sent her way. It took a few seconds for the younger girl to calm down enough to explain herself and my confusion grew with every passing moment.

Sasami took a deep breath before speaking again. "Gomen. I just… From what I've seen so far, I can't believe you think you are like your father. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. You can't be like him, I doubt you could make a decent politician even if you tried."

The blink was probably heard at the other end of the mountain.

It took me several moments to figure out just what she meant by that statement. And it was only her innocent face that seemed to be on the verge of breaking out in one of those playful grins that I realized she had just been teasing me again. Not too mention insulting me in the process. Not that I minded the observation since I pretty much agreed. But insult was insult. "Why, you little…" I lounged for the shorter girl but she had already moved. Squealing the blue-haired tease had already evacuated the stones and was bounding away giggling madly.

This was outrageous, totally different from how I had always thought of myself. But… In the end it didn't matter. As I was moving to follow with the fleeing form of the younger girl I could feel the tension draining and for a short while I was able to forget all those dark memories.

She had done it again. But I wasn't angry. I was actually very glad to have Sasami at the moment.

"Wait until I catch you!" I yelled, not caring about onlookers as I chased the squealing girl across the mountain.

 

******************************

 

(Sango)

Summer had hit full force on Tokyo this year - not that I had more than the past year to compare with in this time - and I was really glad to be up here where the air was cooler and more agreeable with me. For someone who came from a time period where smog and all the other strange, unhealthy smells of a modern city were unknown, it had been a bit of an adjustment. Not as big as one would think but still an adjustment. In a life as a taijiya, you were just as exposed to venomous often enough, some probably more dangerous than the level of pollution in this age.

I still preferred air like this though. Up here it was still more or less untouched. Kirara - who was currently back in our room - thoroughly delighted in it. Her nose was more sensitive to the change and she had had a much harder time getting used to the modern era.

"Ah yes, right there. Oh, that feels good."

I smiled delightful at the drawn-out moan of appreciation that came from my friend. After the episode with the obtrusive monk - who reminded me a little too much of a certain Buddhist priest… Then again, Miroku hardly was THAT bad. Not that the line of separation was very thick…

Well, as I said. After that particular episode, Kagome and I had decided to take a late night bath. The temperature was still high enough not to catch a cold and the hot water did the rest. Hot baths were more or less readily available in this era but the traditional method still had its flair, not to mention a certain health value that even Kagome had to acknowledge.

At the moment we had an entire pool to ourselves which gave us all the privacy two girls could wish for. Especially two girls like us. Kagome was currently at the edge of the pool with her back turned to me and her head resting on her arms. I couldn't see but I had the feeling that she had her eyes closed as well so that she could fully enjoy the sensations of a thorough massage.

My hands worked with purpose and a certain roughness that was needed to work out all the kinks. Not that Kagome was far from relaxed, but a massage never failed to please my lover. I had been taught how to do this by an older woman in my village. She had been like a mother to me and I've learned a lot of stuff from her. Stuff that my father for all his skills could not teach me. From him I learned to fight, not how to be a woman.

Finished with Kagome's neck, I was just about to turn my attention to her shoulders when I was suddenly interrupted in my ministrations by a somewhat astonishing sight that made both of us stare. Rei was chasing a giggling Sasami all over the place.

It took both of us a few moment to regain the ability to speak after the pair vanished into the distance. Eventually Kagome said, "They are making progress."

"Looks like it," I agreed, resuming my earlier task, much to the younger girl's pleasure. With precision I kneaded muscles so that even the tiniest tenseness was worked out. "You are enjoying that a lot, aren't you?" I commented, liking the effect I had on the other girl.

"You are a goddess at that, Sango," Kagome replied with a sigh. I had to chuckle at the remark but kept up the pace, methodically working lower. First over her shoulder blades, down and around her arms, until I found the bare flesh of her back. There was hardly a thing about Kagome that I didn't know intimately by now and it was simple enough to touch just the right spots to draw out just the right reactions.

"Sango?" Kagome asked all of a sudden after a period of silence in which I continued my massage. It almost startled me. Whenever I did that Kagome was rather tightlipped - for the obvious reason of enjoying herself too much.

"Hmm?"

"Are you happy being here?" The question threw me for a moment, not making much sense, until the younger girl explained further. "I mean. When you came with me, you were hardly in a condition to choose otherwise. All you wanted was to get away from it all. I understood that. But now, looking back…" She trailed off and I finally got some inkling what my beautiful lover was talking about.

"What does it matter? I'm here now. The past can't be changed," I replied casually, letting my hands wander lower, almost to the hem of the towel now. I had really not thought about it much. Mostly because I didn't want to think about it much. Remembering was too painful. It was much safer to stay in the here and now and concentrate on what I had. Kagome first and foremost.

"I would have followed you, even if all that didn't happen," I continued after awhile, realizing Kagome wasn't entirely satisfied with the answer. "That is if you had wanted me to," I added. Thoughts like that would assume Inuyasha was still alive and there was no telling what my chances would have been then. Probably very slim. Who knows, maybe I would have even settled for Miroku as an alternative. He had his good points after all.

"Maybe I would have stayed if things were different," Kagome said wistfully and I had the impression she thought about the same lines as I had just now. And that made me a little sad. But I had come to terms with that by now. There would always be other factors, there would always be Inuyasha. There would always be the feeling that I only had Kagome now because he wasn't there anymore and we needed each other. "Maybe I would have stayed with Inuyasha," Kagome mused, all but confirming my suspicion, "maybe with you." Wait, that last bit was unexpected. "You are right though. The past is done and we have to make the best of what we have now."

"Kagome-chan?" I asked carefully, stilling the movements of my hands which had just slipped beneath the towel in order to reach the concealed area of her back better.

The dark-haired miko shivered a little at the unmoving touch of my hands resting on her back. I really would have not expected her next words. I had thought a couple of times in the last month that she might be ready to say them and I would truly have accepted them in any form. But right now, I was thoroughly unprepared.

"I love you, Sango-chan." Kagome paused, stunned silence falling between us. I believe I was gaping but my body was unable to check right now. My heart thumped loudly. It was the first time. The first time that Kagome ever said those words. I might have said I didn't need to hear them but the fact remained that I wanted to. More than wanted to.

"I knew that for awhile now," my lover continued thoughtfully, "but I needed to be sure, I needed to assure myself and I needed to be able to assure you that what I feel for you isn't some kind of substitute, that you are not a second choice because of circumstances." Her head slightly turned, brown eyes looked up at me with sincerity and… love. "I thought about that a lot lately and now I know that I COULD have just as well chosen you if there would have been a choice to make. I AM certain now."

"Kagome…" I whispered, feeling the rush of emotions, the giddy sensation in my heart, the great leaps it was performing. Gently I lowered my head and touched my lips to her in an awkward kiss due to our position. Without really thinking about it, my hands that were still under the towel, slipped slowly around to the other girl's front. The kiss became more heated and so did the atmosphere. A circumstance that had little to do with the hot springs. "I love you too," I breathed into Kagome's ear huskily when we parted, making my lover shudder.

"M-maybe we should head inside," Kagome suggested breathlessly, clearly excited by now. She squealed in a mixture of surprise, protest and probably a good dose of arousal when I found the swell of her breasts under the towel.

"Nobody is here," I pointed out. "And I really want to show you how much you mean to me, Kagome-chan."

The younger girl soon was in no state of mind to protest.

 

******************************

 

<Somewhere in space (Mizuki)>

With growing irritation I stared at the transparent globe cutting off all exits. I had spent nearly an entire day trying to find a weak spot, before I finally settled on breaking through by concentrating on one point constantly. That process though was exhausting. I had to rest to not run out of reserves but could not let up for too long as well since the barrier would regenerate itself.

You have to give it to her. She understands her handiwork, I thought bitterly. However, all the work was finally paying off. One spot was much too weak already. It would take just one more concentrated shot. The energy supply of the artificial prison was frantically working on repairing the damage but could not compensate fast enough anymore. I had allowed myself another short breather. Wielding so much energy over such a long span of time, near constantly at that, tore even at my considerably high reserves. So close to success though, I was not about to let fatigue stop me.

Concentrating, I directed all my internal energy into my hands. Blue-white light appeared between them in form of a wide spear. Arcs of power sparkled around the sphere as I sought to stuff as much energy into it as I still could without making me pass out. I still had to walk afterwards. I could rest when I was free and on my way after my wayward mother/creator who I had to thank for my current predicament.

Feeling my limit was reached I made a motion and let the concussive blast fly forward, ripping right through and collapsing the barrier as if it was merely of paper. I wish… Gasping for breath, I sank to my knees for a moment. I had certainly improved to a point where I might stand up to the Ryoko of about two years ago - of course, she probably improved since then as well - but that had still been taxing. Nearly a full day the effort had cost me and catching up with my mother would be hard to achieve. I had no time to lose.

Pushing myself of the ground, I forced my body to move. Phasing or teleporting was out of the question. However, from here it was only a short distance to the outside where my best hope for regaining the lost time waited.

I stumbled out of the makeshift lab that we had set up months ago here on the fifth planet of the Rejinau system. I had helped mother in researching the so called Red Star Desert and some curious phenomena that had been reported until just a few days ago when my creator began to act weird and revert to ways I had thought she had long aborted. I should have been warned then already but didn't act on it properly until it was too late.

Just outside the large dome stood a large ship. Mother's design. She and I had worked on it constantly since the disaster two years ago. It was a smooth bird-like design. Two gracious wings were angled in such a way to allow maximum balance of speed and agility. The hull was a chromic black but unlike what one might think, it was part organic. Not exactly a Ouke no Ki or a second Ryo-oh-ki, but as close as somehow possible. It was technically finished. Unfortunately it was also untested.

Well, it will be the real thing instead. With that I gathered my last energy to teleport the short distance onboard. Reappearing on the bridge, I collapsed into the command chair, brushing my green ponytail out of the way that had fallen in front of my face. "Aquila, boot up all systems."

Consoles flickered to life and little bird-like crystal units began to swarm the bridge. The main unit was a tad bit bigger and looked more humanoid, like a winged girl actually, as it dropped from the ceiling to greet its captain. "Welcome, Mizuki-sama. Are we making our maiden flight?"

I smiled faintly. "Something like that. Can you track my mother's ship from here?"

Aquila made a sound I couldn't decipher past what I would vaguely expect an upset bird to make. It was obvious the ship's unit felt offended. I was going to tell Mother to fix this. A main unit with some eccentric personality was nice but I could do without one who thought it was the best around.

"Of course I can."

"Look," I said exasperatedly. "Something is wrong with her. She looked really out of it when she locked me in that damn prison. Took me nearly a day to get out." I closed my eyes taking several deep breaths. "I really wish we had more time to get to know one another but I have a feeling wherever she is going, I won't like the outcome. Can you tell where she is heading?"

At least the semi-humanoid AI was clever enough to sense that I was in a mood where I could well end up blasting her units if she got too much on my nerves. "From the data I can gather, your mother's ship appears to head for Colony 315."

"Earth?" I wondered out loud. "What would she want there?" I had actually half feared that would once again have something to do with my mother's old rivalry with the genius Washu… But the entire Royal Family who had been residing on Earth was back at Jurai as far as official sources went, including Washu. Actually, new Emperor Tenchi had just married his wives, Princess Ayeka and Ryoko. What would my mother want on Earth?

"What should we do, Mizuki-sama?"

I pursed my lips in thought. "It does not matter. I'll have to figure it out when we are there. Calculate the FASTEST course to Earth." It took the ship's AI a couple of seconds but then a map popped up showing what I had requested. A route that under other circumstances and with a lesser-equipped ship, I would not even have considered as possible. Now it was only a little dangerous. Risks I could and had to take in order to catch up with the woman who had created me before she ended doing something foolish… again.

I really could not fathom. She seemed alright the one moment and then went to totally obsessed with something else, abandoning her actual research. Mother had not let me look but I suspected she had searched for something… or someone. I had been worried about her since she was neglecting work that she had spent months on completely. I had been about ready to confront her about it. That was when she surprised me and got me locked up. Obviously she feared my interference - rightfully so - in whatever she had planned.

She must be controlled or something. There was no way my mother was doing this on her own. She had changed. The conflict two years ago had altered her and we had been getting along rather well. She had actually often expressed her guilt about treating me so unfairly before. I doubted that had all been a farce. I had to get to the bottom of this.

"Bring us on course, Aquila. I'll take a nap. If something comes up, wake me." And with that I closed my eyes right there, already beginning to drift into unconsciousness. The effort of breaking free had been even more taxing than I had thought.

"Certainly, Mizuki-sama," I heard Aquila reply before sleep claimed me.

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

As often as I had seen the sight by now, being in a planetary orbit - especially Earth's orbit - has always invoked a sense of awe and wonder in me. The beauty of seeing the entire planet before you, with all those landmasses that seemed so tiny from your vantage point was a very special feeling. Obviously that was one of the reasons why people on Earth became astronauts. To see this spectacular view for themselves.

Right now the sun was creeping around this half of the planet where Tsunami was circling in orbit. The brilliancy would have been blinding if not for the natural blenders that protected my eyes from the burning rays. There was hardly a comparison. Watching a sunrise - or sunset - on a planet and watching it from orbit in space. The system's star was not toned by the atmosphere and thus provided a whole new experience. Back on Jurai a sunrise in space was even more impressing than here. I would like to take Rei up here one day and show her… Maybe someday soon.

I felt like we had crossed another line at the hot springs about a week ago. Despite our different and difficult pasts and the many secrets that should honestly stand in the way of a working relationship, a level of trust had built in barely four months time now that I found hard to believe and exhilaratingly thrilling. I had gotten to know the older girl pretty good by now and was rather sure that she wasn't as willingly open to share painful past experiences with anyone as she was with me. Not that I wanted to make her sad deliberately. However, those instances of openness served to warm my heart and further fortify my feelings.

Slowly I got to know more about the young woman my heart couldn't stop thinking about anymore since we arrived on Earth in the beginning of April. And the more I learned, the more I wanted to be there for the raven-haired miko, to soothe the wounds her soul had suffered by lack of attention and love from family, by a childhood spent in loneliness that made my own experience in the feeling meager in comparison. I wanted to take away those burdens and show her how wonderful love could be.

The only problem was that I was often rather awkward about it. Somehow I managed to not make many grievous mistakes yet - and the two I hade made, had been forgiven with surprising ease - but what I told Rei back at the hot springs was true. I really didn't have much experience in the love field. Tenchi had been a crush, a crush I thought was supposed to be more. That was something I was ready to admit to myself without trouble now. It had been unfair of me to think that I was in love with him just because everyone else seemed drawn to the Juraian Prince. I should have seen the lines of fate that were between him, my sister and Ryoko, and only them. That was how it was meant to be. But I was young, just growing into my powers, and when I realized that he was drifting from the rest of us - mainly Mihoshi and me - I had started to blame things on the political conflict after my parents disappearance and the ramifications of the revelation of my secret.

Of course, I had a good right to blame the Holy Council and whoever had played their role in this, obvious signs just how infected the ruling body of Jurai had already become by the natural virus of long prosperity and relative peace. Yet, that hadn't been the entire reason why the gap between Tenchi and Mihoshi and myself became so vast. I realized now that in the end, circumstances had just managed to speed up the inevitable decision. Tenchi had known instinctively who to trust fully at his side. He had made his choice and even if everything had transpired differently, it would have not changed the outcome, for us on a personal level that is.

Rei was different though. I felt it in every fiber of my being. From our very first meeting onwards there had been a gravitating force between us that I was unable to resist. Even with all the bad experiences I had just left behind. In fact, the older girl had been the light that pulled me out of the darkness I had felt like drowning in once more. I had clung to that light instinctively and that persistence had paid of. Or it would soon, I was certain of that. It had to be.

Sighing, I turned around from the sight and my contemplating thoughts and walked over to the front area of the bridge. Unlike other starships there was barely anything that would even identify Tsunami as such. Oh, she could manifest a full bridge, complete with captain's chair, all sort of consoles and whatever the pilot desired. That wasn't really the nature of our connection though. Ouke no Ki and chosen partner were known to be bonded on a higher level, in our case though that bond was more than just a mere spiritual connection. We were nearly one unit already and I really didn't need any intermediate means to communicate with my other half.

"Alright, Tsunami. What did you call me up here for?" I had been spending little time in the ship since arriving on Earth. A bit more than a month ago I had come to check up on events on Jurai, merely out of curiosity and a good dose of concerns for those I left behind. Seeing Tenchi finally convincing the council and taking up the mantle of Emperor, as well as marrying Ayeka and Ryoko, had made me feel both relief and regret, but also helped me to further realize the truth. This was how it was supposed to be. If they were able to do what Tsunami and I hoped for from the beginning, that was another matter altogether.

This morning though, Tsunami had called me up here on an urgent matter when I had just been conversing with Rei's ravens Phobos and Deimos, or more like her spiritual guardians. I wasn't entirely certain what they were. Not entirely human but also not strictly spiritual. Enough of the latter though to immediately recognize Tsunami and I for what we were, or at least part of our aspects.

Tsunami's ghost-like form appeared next to me and with a wave of her hand the front window displayed a map screen with a portion of the galaxy that I recognized of being somewhere close to here. Occasionally a white light would blink into existence for a mere moment before vanishing again just as quickly. "I picked this up merely by coincidence a few days ago. Curious, I tried to track it down with a wide search and came up with those responses." White points appeared all over the map, located at various positions where they had formerly been mere glimpses. A blue line began to link them together and was then extended. It hit the edge of the map and another one was shown. I had a sinking feeling in my gut that told me even before the visual confirmation that the end point of what was obviously the objects course would be here.

"Jurai or GP?" I asked hopefully. As annoying as it would be to be found so quickly - and surprising too - it would at least be a not so troubling occurrence. I was certain I could deal with that, somehow.

Tsunami shook her head and my heart fell. "I would know about the former before one even left and the second I would be able to identify without problem." What was implied here didn't sit very well with me. It almost sounded like the most powerful ship of the galaxy wasn't able to identify the object at all. I raised an eyebrow in question. The troubled look directed back at me was an obvious sign that I was closer to the truth than I hoped. "It is hard enough to keep track of the ship. I cannot even tell for certain that it is one. There is something very strong cloaking it. Something familiar, too. It was by mere chance that I even picked it up."

"What are we going to do?" I asked, at a loss of what to make of this. Technically it could be everything. There wasn't even a reason to believe that the ship or whatever it was wanted anything from us. However, the mere fact that Tsunami had trouble to penetrate whatever was shielding it from view, left hardly any other conclusion. Cases like this usually had to do something with us. Or they usually had something to do with Jurai, the Royal Family and the like. Everyone else was back on Jurai though, which only left us.

But no one was supposed to know that we were here.

It took us awhile to agree on a course of action.

 

******************************

 

(Hitomi)

I strode through the halls of the local college, gliding through the masses of students and guests. Azabu Junior College was hardly a big place but in recent years known for its success in the business field. However, there was also the uprising branch of old history, especially focusing on myths and legends. Like a special one that I was fairly interested in and which was the main subject of an open lecture today.

Atlantis.

Nearly two years had passed now since my adventures on Earth's mysterious shadow planet called Gaea and I was now in my last year of High School. It was time to look for a university or college to attend. That was only secondary for my visit today. I was more interested in the lecture, hoping to receive some insight, some theory I had not heard yet. Something new to give me a different perspective, an innovative lead, anything…

Before my adventures on Earth's shadow planet - or whatever you wanted to call Gaea - I would have hardly thought I'd ever do something in the field of history. I had always been more inclined in sport activities, like running track. Sitting around in libraries, taking hours to go through old, dusty books had never been my idea of fun.

People changed, I guess. I had become rather interested in old myths and legends, especially the ones concerning Atlantis. What I had learned on Gaea intrigued me and I had that nagging sense that there was more to the story of the ancient empire when I knew now. There had been so many questions left unanswered in the aftermath of the conflict I had been drawn into.

When all was said and done with, I had been content with living my life normally again. Over time though I had come across a few curious discoveries that had awakened my interest. And there was still the question of my heritage. My mother had not been very helpful but… I had the inkling feeling that there was more than just the genes of a simple earthling in me. Why else would Dornkirk have deemed me so important? And why did I have these abilities?

It wasn't the pendant. I had thought so at first. But then I had left it with Van but it had made hardly a difference. Not that I had to actively use them like on Gaea since then but small incidents hinted that I still could do everything I had been able to with the pendant in my possession. My guess was that it was merely meant as a focus.

There was a purpose for me, other than Gaea I mean, in this world. And I needed to find it. There was the irresistible impulse to find that purpose that had driven me onwards the last years, directing my life in a new direction, with a new goal. I could not entirely tell why but I felt that something was going to happen. Tomorrow, next month, in a few years. I honestly couldn't tell. I didn't need a vision to tell me that. It was a feeling of certainty anchored deep in my heart.

Or maybe I just want to forget about HIM for awhile, I thought somewhat sarcastically but chastened myself immediately for the thought. I had already began to travel down this path when Van and I had started to drift apart. No, that wasn't exactly the correct term. Our lives had merely continued and we had grown up. What had once been between us had morphed over time, changed. The intensity of our connection had weakened somewhat. We had realized that we lived in different worlds and that this was the way it was supposed to be. There would simply be no permanent "us".

That's why it was alright with me that he was pursuing a different relationship. Really it was.

I sighed heavily. It seemed as much as I tried to rationalize and as much truth was in that reasoning, there would always remain a part of me that was jealous and… disappointed. But that part was joined by another that pointed out that if I wanted to start throwing around the blame that I should point as much of it at myself as the jealous part of me pointed at him. That usually helped to settle the matter. I was more or less over it and in fact I was happy for Van. He was much happier these days even if barely anyone had suspected the unlikely match. They were my friends still and I should be happy.

Despite having a rather small campus - compared to others in the country - Azabu Junior College would still pose some trouble in orientation for a newcomer. They all did. Then again, no one had my kind of abilities that would tell me instinctively where to go. I was hardly looking where I was going and still found myself in the appropriate building before two heavy double doors that lead - as a glance at the room number indicated - to the lecture hall I had been searching for.

Glancing around I found some people milling around outside while the majority had probably already claimed seats inside. On a blackboard next to the entrance of the hall stood a curious looking group. Four girls of varying ages, with the youngest seemingly around fourteen and the oldest possible twenty. There was something undeniably peculiar about them that compelled me to step closer, curious about the strange feeling I got around the group.

When I came closer, I spotted what they were doing. A note was being attached to the board, a request for part time help as it seemed. My ability was telling me that those four were important for me in some way and so I made my presence known by clearing my throat. The four girls turned around, not so much startled, but actually more curious. As if they had known I was there without even looking… Interesting.

"Ah. You are looking for help at your Jinja?" I asked, getting a better look at the petition now.

"We are," the oldest one with the long black hair said.

"Are you interested?" one of the younger girls, who had similar black hair, asked.

I considered the question for a moment. On the one hand I wasn't really looking for a part time job. The possible money was tempting though and my senses were telling me to get to know these four better. I had met many priests and the like in my line of research on Atlantis and other mystical places who thought themselves knowledgeable or skilled but didn't impress me very much. These four girls though all had a feel of skill and experience around them. On first glance they were rather eccentric and hard to connect as a group in one's mind. However, all of them were quite powerful.

Was it possible that the attraction I could feel now was leading me a step further in my search for my purpose? I had followed my instinct here and thought it was supposed to be the lecture. Maybe it was these people instead?

"Maybe," I answered carefully. "I am finishing High School next year and might be attending here, although I'm not certain about that. I wasn't thinking about any side jobs but…" I gave a smile before I continued, looking forward to their reactions, "If you are in need of a capable seer? I could find some time in the afternoon, I'm sure."

This time I wasn't really surprised to be meet by curiosity and interest instead of disbelief. They had most definitely experienced enough supernatural already and could probably sense that there was some credibility to my claim. "Are your visions the product of skill or intuition," the oldest one asked, obviously the nominal leader. She seemed to young to be a priestess, probably the most skilled miko of the Jinja.

"The latter I would say," I answered and received a nod. "I am also rather precise in locating both objects and people if I am familiar with them." Rather precise was an understatement since the years had heightened my ability of drowsing to the point of near perfection. It dwindled a little when I only had a bare sense of what I was looking for but the more defined an image in my mind, the more I could guarantee success.

The four girls were exchanging looks before they turned back to me. The oldest once again spoke up. "I'm Hino Rei. I'm running Hikawa Jinja with my grandfather. Why don't you step by tomorrow and we can talk about the job?"

I smiled politely, ignoring the hand. There was no telling just what I would find out these days by touching someone. My precognitive abilities were increasing and just as all my others had not been limited to Gaea alone. It became kind of scary at times and I'd rather respect other people's privacy than involuntarily invading it. "That sounds good to me. I am Kanzaki Hitomi by the way." I glanced back at the door and the clock above it. "I think the lecture is starting soon."

 

******************************

 

(Rei)

We had talked about this long and hard. It had actually - once again - been Sasami who proposed the idea, commenting on how much easier it was for all of us if we could share work like this, each bringing in their individual skills. There was hardly anything to argue with. And still, a few months ago… I should really stop that. This was the present and I had become a lot more open about these things.

Unfortunately it was hard to not constantly marvel about the effect the youngest member of our group had on me. I've hardly ever felt so relaxed and simply good in my life before. Things at the Jinja were looking up, I had made a couple of new friends to which I had developed a deeper kinship similar to my fellow Senshi, my relationship with the latter had also been strengthened in turn… And the most amazing thing was that the blue-haired girl had been able to reach a place in my heart that I had thought long locked. Tightly and beyond anyone's abilities to reach.

Maybe there was really someone meant for any of us? Maybe it had just taken this long to happen for me? And now, at a point in my life where I didn't think it possible anymore, that someone had shown up after all.

Thoughts like these weren't as rare as they used to be in the last months since Sasami's quasi confession. There was no need to say the words since her actions that day spoke for themselves. I had started to think long and hard about it. I still was no closer to a solution, at least on a logical plain. Instinctual the rest of me seemed to have made its decision already. I barely could resist the pull anymore that was between us and maybe I wouldn't even try anymore, if not…

I had told her already and she seemed to accept that. Despite her reassurances I was still scared. Scared of screwing things up like my father had. It had been difficult to admit that to myself so directly, but that was the truth. I didn't want to make the same mistakes. I didn't wish to make the one girl, who had brought more life with her mere presence into my life than anyone before, unhappy.

In the end the outcome seemed inevitable and I knew that I had to make a decision soon. Kagome's subtle warning was still spooking around in my head. It had been words from experience and I had come to respect the other girl's counsel. Not just in matters concerning the Jinja, but personally as well. And besides, this was not a situation beneficial for both of us, Sasami and myself. It had been well over two months now since Sasami confronted me with her feelings and while she said I should take my time, I could tell she was getting anxious about an answer.

But don't you already have an answer? The thought once again reared its ugly head. You can't even refuse her anything. Which was true enough. I had been reluctant than Sasami had brought up the suggestion to get a bit more help around the Jinja. The four of us were managing just fine and with my grandfather being close to full recovery there shouldn't be a need. On the other hand it was hard to ignore the obvious advantages of capable help. Which was what I eventually agreed on. One or two more pairs of capable hands would probably do some good. We had made a bit of money and so a part-time petition was a good option.

Grandfather had agreed readily when I told him about that, agreeing that Hikawa Jinja definitely profited from the young and vivid girls these days. I was entirely certain if the comment was directed more at "young" and "girls" or at "vivid"… Grandfather could get a little… unbefitting one of this age at times.

This Hitomi seemed to fit my stipulation on first glance. I sensed indeed some talent in her. Unique and quite potent like every one of our group so far. It would need some closer examination of course but this one might as well fit in just fine with us. I didn't have much time to pay further attention though since the lecturer had already arrived.

When we had gotten inside, the hall was already rather full. I probably hadn't come to listen if I had been on my own but Kagome and Sango had both voiced an interest to the public lecture and Sasami had been curious. Curious about what remained to be seen. I had the vague suspicion that she just wanted to see the place I was studying at. Not that I minded, of course.

We were making an odd group, that was for sure. I hadn't made many acquaintances here yet and knew most people more on a passing basis. We had been drawing quite some attention wandering over the campus. However, I really didn't care that much. Let them think what they want. I knew now where my friends were and who I could trust. That was enough for me.

We were seated somewhere in the back. Kagome and Sango were a row in front of us with the other girl, Hitomi, off to the left somewhere. Sasami was next to me. An arrangement that came natural these days and hardly called for attention on my part anymore. When the lecture began I could not help but notice some curious reactions from both the girl we just met outside and my younger companion. Their reactions seemed to mirror each other, at least they seemed to disagree on the same points with a surprising certainty, Sasami shaking her head a bit more often though. I was only half listening but interestingly enough Mars was giving me the same kind of feedback.

I tried to think back what I knew of Atlantis from the Silver Millennium. I knew it existed, a long time ago even before my prior incarnation. All that I knew of were history texts from the Royal Library and from what I could recall they seemed to contradict the common myth on some points. Now, was it just that those two thought what the lecturer said was wrong or did they KNOW it was wrong? I shook my head with a smile. Maybe I was really starting to interpret too much. Not everything I thought odd had to have some truth behind it after all.

My attention was drawn back to the older man in the front when I was unpleasantly reminded why I would have not considered to go on my own. He was a historian, alright, but also both teaching politics and actively participating in a political party as far I knew. I had hoped he would leave the lecture free of such influences and stick to the historical and mythical aspects. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be the case.

I wondered how many here really wanted to know about inner political conflicts and power struggles that in the opinion of the lecturer led to the eventual destruction of Atlantis. The sad truth was different and for once Mars and I were on one mind that we didn't like the direction he was taking the lecture. From what I could recall from my past life's studies, Atlantis had been one of the more tragic chapters in the early histories of the Silver Millennium.

"This shows us once more a common theme that is repeated throughout histories. Many great empires fall, contrary to popular belief, not alone through a stronger opposition or rebellion. No, the ground work was often done by inner disharmony, political conflict, intrigues… You can continue the list on your own, I am certain. Over time every empire will eventually fall to the side effects of prosperity and wealth…"

I drowned out the rest of the words, overcome by a sudden wave of memories. Ironically it wasn't really due to my own background in this life or that I even disagreed with the man. It was the sad truth reflected in the words that could also been applied to the tragic end of the Moon Kingdom and the Silver Millennium era.

Not really thinking about it, I got up and excused myself, slipping out of the lecture hall.

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

I had been listening intently until that point. At least the older man had gotten some of the things right. I didn't really blame him. That was a time long lost to humanity and what remained were mostly speculations and wild theories. That the picture constructed was even remotely similar was amazing enough. Of course, I knew the entire story. Or better Tsunami did. She might have gone her own way, yet she had always tried to keep an eye on her sister's kingdom as best as was possible for her.

Testament to our growing attachment was that I knew instinctively the point where it became uncomfortable for the older girl next to me. I turned to look at her at just the precise moment she got up to excuse herself. Amazing to some maybe. However, if you spent so much time on trying to figure out all the little details and quirks about your love interest, it is not all that surprising.

Worried I followed her slip out of the hall. While I had somehow figured out when she was going to be upset, I could only suspect what it was. I had the nagging feeling there was something more that provoked the reaction just now than the usual. Rei had been much more relaxed the last weeks. Opening up to me like that at the hot springs had not only helped me to get to know her better, but obviously also served to filter out some of those negative emotions she kept bottling up.

Leaning forward I tapped Kagome on the shoulder and whispered something in her ear. Before she could even really register what I had said, I was already moving to follow the older miko. Some might think I was cramping her privacy but I couldn't help myself. True, maybe it would be better to leave her to herself sometimes. I wanted to keep her company though. So that she didn't feel all too alone, because she wasn't, alone that is.

"Tsunami?" I mumbled.

*Yes?*

"Please stop me next time I start babbling in my head."

I could hear a soft giggle reverberating in my mind. *I will try.*

Maybe that was what my older sister and Ryoko had felt courting Tenchi? When I had been younger and my crush not so distinct yet, I had often watched them acting totally silly, trying to get Tenchi's attention. Especially Ayeka was usually a very composed girl with perfect manners thanks to her training as first princess - not that she didn't hate it sometimes. For her to act like this, so unlike her normal pattern, so carefree and normal… It might look childish to some but was actually refreshing for me to see…

And I was getting off the topic again.

The point was that I was never really like that with Tenchi. It was all very exciting, true. On the other hand I had to admit that I was dreaming most of the time. Dreaming more than actual acting to make these dreams true. I expected things to happen on their own, and that wasn't really what love was supposed to be like. Right? I really had no idea. However, if I had ever felt real love it was now. With and for Rei. I caught myself getting distracted - like staring at the raven-haired beauty for long periods of time - so often it was embarrassing. But at the same time the connection between us was deepening and I was given enough reasons to believe that we were meant for each other.

I found Rei outside, sitting on one of the benches. The yard between the buildings here was devoid of other students. I approached her slowly. Before I came even close to the bench, the older girl suddenly looked up and I was startled by the haunted look in purple eyes. "Are you my personal shadow now?"

I jerked back from the bitterness in the tone. I could hardly fathom what had gotten her so worked up. As I said, she had been so much better since we spoke over her feelings for her father and his chosen profession. It couldn't be that now, could it? I took a step backwards, unsure of what to do. Maybe it would have been better to leave her alone after all. Rei was a rather private person after all and always having someone follow her around… "I…"

I didn't get any further with my apology as the bitterness in her eyes was replaced by startled realization. Looking to the side I caught a mumbled apology and instantly knew - and was relieved - that obviously the reaction had just been one of her temper eruptions again, sparked by whatever had upset her. She didn't want to snap at me.

I took another two steps in her direction before tentatively asking, "If you want to be alone…?" I could understand if she wanted to be alone. Now that I was certain she knew that I was just concerned, I wouldn't mind to give the older girl some privacy. I didn't want to be a pain after all. And neither did I want to get too clingy or pushy. Had done that once already and look where it lead to. But Rei hadn't minded before…

Rei shook her head and surprisingly reached out to touch my arm, startling me away from another mental rant. "No. Stay."

I was too surprised to say or do anything other than comply. After I sat down next to her, I got my second surprise when Rei pulled me closer with one arm around my shoulders. "Rei?" I asked carefully but was met with my silence as the miko looked up into the sky. My eyes fluttered close for awhile as we sat like this, an air of peacefulness engulfing us, like nothing could touch us. My concern was washed away when I felt Rei relax in the intimate contact - probably the first the other girl had initiated on her own, at least on that scale.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked after awhile of this peaceful silence, barely even daring to disturb it.

Rei finally looked at me and all that was left of the former haunting shadow was some nostalgic sadness. "Not really." She smiled a little. It was weak but a genuine effort, reassuring me that she was indeed alright.

"Okay," I replied, seeing no need in pushing the issue further. Whatever had overcome my potential mate had obviously been rather fleeting. Intense but fleeting. And pretty much gone now. "I was just a little worried," I admitted, realizing Rei was surprised by my easy acceptance of her answer.

This time the smile was a little brighter. And did I imagine this or did her face just glow a little? "It's nice to have someone worry about you," the older miko admitted honestly and I was pretty sure that I did glow at the comment! A few butterflies were definitely performing a mad dance in my stomach right now. While I had probably seen more of this hidden side of Rei in a few months than anyone else who knew her, compliments like this - and there was no mistaking that this was meant to be one - were always making me gleefully happy. Any doubts I might have about whether or not this could work out were eliminated by even the tiniest bit of progress from Rei's side since I knew how hard it was for her to work past all her inner barriers.

Instances like this, with such sudden great leaps in closeness, were rare but happened more frequently lately. And so I dared to be a little forward myself. The taller girl tensed up at first when I leaned into her, settling my head just above her chest, basking in the warmth the contact provided. I almost thought I had went too far when Rei relaxed once more, her arm around me tightening a bit.

"I want to make you happy," I admitted softly, seeing no resistance from Rei. "I didn't plan on this though." Which was true. When Tsunami and I left Jurai, hardly had I imagined to find something like this. We didn't even have a destination or purpose in mind at first. But then I had found and met my purpose by mere chance. No, not by mere chance. Things like that didn't happen through coincidence. I should know. Peitho had always told me - err, Tsunami - often enough. "When I came here, all I was looking for was a place to stay. Then I met you and… Now I can't stop thinking about you."

"Miko-chan…" Rei's voice was thick with emotion and I was about to look up, wondering if I made her uncomfortable but refrained from doing so when I felt one hand stroking my hair softly. Just for a few moments but it was another leap in closeness. And it felt so wonderful and nice. "You do make me happy," the older miko continued in a whisper - which was not the entire reason why I thought I misheard. "I never felt better than in the last months." My heart was absorbing all this greedily. My eyes closed once again, savoring the feeling of being so close to Rei as long as it would last.

That was all the other girl said and after a time I felt her shift a little awkwardly. Obviously the moment had passed. I wasn't too disappointed though when I pulled away. I was beyond a doubt certain now that Rei was the right one for me and that those feelings weren't one-sided but mutual, in the entire spectrum. I just needed to be a little more patient now.

"Sa…" Rei began but I silenced her with one finger to the lips.

"Do you want to go home? I told Kagome that we might not be around afterwards."

Rei grinned, eyes full of relief and gratefulness. "My thoughtful girl." She stood up and surprised me once again by pulling me upwards with a yelp, her right arm linked firmly with my left. "Let's see if we can find something more fun to do than boring lectures."

I happily complied, skipping along as we made our way off campus. Rei didn't seem to mind the stares we were getting.

 

******************************

 

(Sango)

The lecture had ended a couple minutes ago and the sea of students and guests had mostly ebbed up by now. I was still rather amazed at the vast amount of people coming together to listen to one teacher. In my time I would have had a hard time getting anyone to believe that was possible. A lot of things about this time and age were mind-boggling and even over a year later, I still found myself awed at some of the things I've encountered.

Maybe that was why I hardly had gotten out from Kagome's home. A neglect that began to show now that I was trying to socialize more, spent more time as a normal girl. I actually liked being a normal girl, doing things others in this time might enjoy. I felt closer to Kagome this way and it helped enormously in my effort to restart my life here. Also, growing up I had never had quite a normal childhood. Being raised in a village of taijiya was definitely different from what normal children in my time had been used to. It was nice to be a normal GIRL for once.

Too long had I sat around idly, my situation stagnating. Not anymore though. I had resolved in the last months spent with the other girls at Hikawa that I finally needed to get my life back in order. After all I had the best companion for that who was obviously willing to share the effort and burden now. The dark mist that had surrounded both of us for such a long time was finally beginning to dissipate and spending time with my lover was not just merely an act of comfort and distraction anymore but genuine affection and… love.

"They don't seem to be here anymore," Kagome commented, looking up and down the hallway for our wayward, would-be couple. Sasami had told Kagome that, should they decide to wait for us, they'd waiting outside. After giving them some time to show up, talking a little to the other girl who had shown an interest in working at the Jinja, it was obvious that they were long gone already. I wasn't overly worried. Whatever had happened, those two seemed to be able to resolve things on their own.

"Who knows?" I shrugged. "Maybe they are already making out without us knowing." I grinned at the dark-haired girl.

"No way!" Kagome exclaimed. "I don't think they are that far already." She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "Then again. They've been awfully close lately… and happy. They wouldn't rush things like this though."

Which was true enough. Ever since the trip to the hot springs something had changed. Where before gestures and touches were more covert, they had become more open, to a point where even Rei didn't seem to mind if someone saw and interpreted them. It seemed more like a unconscious thing. The innocence of love, I mused, with a bit more than just a pang of regret.

"I envy them," I said out loud, making Kagome turn to look at me curiously. "I mean. They have all the time in the world to make sure that this is really what they want. They have the freedom of choice and the luxury of exploring without…" I trailed off, cursing myself for involuntarily ruining my mood. Making the effort for a fresh start was one thing, successfully pulling it off was another thing. Just because things were looking up more now, didn't mean that the past wouldn't surface at the one time or the other.

I looked down, feeling my hand being squeezed, and then up again to gaze into compassionate brown eyes. "Why don't we go somewhere else and relax for awhile? I'm sure our love birds would like to have time for themselves." She winked mischievously which made me immediately feel lighter. I was eternally grateful to have Kagome there with me. Without her, I doubted I would have made it even a day after all that happened.

"Ice cream?" I asked hopefully, making the other girl giggle.

"You are really addicted, aren't you?"

I just grinned in answer and tugged at her hand. I couldn't help it. Ever since Kagome had first introduced me to the sweet taste of ice cream, I was instantly hooked.

 

******************************

 

Yes, ice cream definitely was one of my favorite things in this modern age. And enjoying a big sundae at a local shop with the girl who literally meant the world to me was definitely high on the list of most favorite things overall. It was around midday and the shop, called "Crown Fruit Parlor" was well-visited from what I could tell. We had come here a couple of times already, ever since our first official "date". I had been so delighted when Kagome had asked me. I wasn't entirely certain at first what the term meant but quickly found out it was obviously an important step of courting in this age. A stage that usually came before actually expressing affections but… oh well. Who cared? It was the intention that counted after all. And I had felt rather smitten at that time and still did.

I felt like a girl in love for once and not what they'd call a tomboy here who spent the greater part of her time training for and exterminating youkai. Not that I had ever hated or questioned what I did. I just had never known a different way. That is how I grew up and there was nothing to be changed about it. It didn't mean I had been totally robbed of my femininity. Hardly that. I just never got much of a chance to live it out.

This age was relatively peaceful though, there was no reason to constantly fight. At first I had found that odd and was uncomfortable about it, wondering what I was supposed to do with my time. I had never learnt anything else. Also, the rush of a fight was often helping to distract me from my problems, especially after Naraku. In the middle of a battle, I could often lose myself completely, not needing to think about Kohaku, my father and the other dead members of my village.

I was slowly finding my place. Working at the shrines in this era was rather simple and I had had enough spiritual training to easily fit in. I never saw myself as a priestess, miko or other kind of spiritualist but it was a start, something to do now that I didn't need to fight so often anymore. And I thought that I could actually start to like it. I doubted I could ever reach the level of the other three. We were making a good team, however, and I wanted to contribute my own part to that team.

"Enjoying yourself, I see," Kagome teased from her place next to me. She reached out to swipe a bit of ice cream from my chin that I hadn't even realized was there. I had been too engrossed in savoring my sundae and Kagome's presence. A slight blush probably rose to my cheeks but was quickly covered again. It was nice to see a happy, more lively Kagome again. I hadn't even fully realized just how much I missed that.

She had such a wonderful, easygoing spirit that had drawn me instantly from the first time I met her until I realized at last that I was totally caught under her spell. The last year she had been so depressed and melancholic, not unlike me. Some good time in bed for mutual comfort was hardly making up for the loss of that beautiful smile. And that was the honest truth, believe me or not.

"Sango!" Kagome laughed lightly, pointing at where I just realized more ice cream was running down my face. I realized to my growing embarrassment I had been staring at the other girl for some time and paid no intention to consuming the sweet - but now rather sticky - food…

"Err…" I said intelligently, trying to catch everything with my hands before it ended up ruining my clothes. Kagome smiled and offered me a handkerchief. "Thanks." I wiped away the excess ice cream and began to work on the rest before it completely melted away, all the way silently enjoying my companion's chipper and happy mood. We were both getting out of our shell again and if that wasn't an event to celebrate, I wasn't sure what was.

 

******************************

 

(Kagome)

Evening had come around on the day after we went to the lecture and I found myself outside in the yard of our new home for no particular reason. New home. I hadn't even realized that until now but giving the notion some thought, it was obvious that was that it had become in the few months we've been here. I had been a little doubtful at first and mostly went along with the idea because I agreed with my grandfather that a change in scenery would be good for Sango. In the end it had turned out to be good for both of us. I had spent a lot of time reflecting the last months, actually facing all that which happened in the past, and I had managed to slowly come to terms with it.

I could not allow to let the present and future pass me by like that. I had to get my life back into order again and concentrate on the here and now. I had Sango who loved me dearly and I was certain that Inuyasha would have wanted me happy and not to be dragged down like this. It wasn't easy but I was trying now. What good did his sacrifice do after all if I walked through life like a zombie? I had to chuckle at the thought.

And I hadn't lost everyone after all. I still had Sango - and Kirara although she tended to hang around more with Sasami than us these days - and I should concentrate on being happy with her. She was obviously making an effort and that in turn had inspired me to do the same. I did love her after all. What I told her was the truth. I had known the depth of my feelings for a long time now. The spark had been there long before everything had gone to pieces. However, whenever I had really given the possibility some thought it had been in situations where I was preoccupied with other, more troubling thoughts, mostly about Inuyasha. And I had began to doubt my developing feelings for the taijiya then. It had hardly been fair to her to make a declaration of love being less than certain. I wasn't that type, and besides it had taken me long enough to realize I was in love with Inuyasha...

Lately I tried to envision what it might have been like without the hanyou in the picture, and had to admit that there always had been a certain bond between us from the start but I was too focused on my primary interest to really notice it. Technically Sango and I were rather different. She was a born fighter who tried to bury her emotions under a mask of self-control, whereas I had never liked fighting and would rather see people happy than hurt. And still we had bonded immediately.

It left me to wonder who I was MEANT to be with in the first place. I didn't love Sango less than Inuyasha, I was certain about that by now. Just different. I had no idea if there was really something behind the concept of soul mates but if there was, I honestly couldn't say who was supposed to be mine.

I jumped slightly, feeling a hand on my shoulder. "Easy. I just came to tell you that dinner is almost ready," Sango said as she stepped next to me. I had to have been rather preoccupied to not notice her. My senses were much sharper these days and with Sango I could usually always tell when she was nearby. I could feel concerned eyes on me and turned to look at the slightly older girl. "You are tense," the taijiya commented bluntly but didn't elaborate further. It wasn't really necessary.

To tell the truth, there was actually a reason why I was out here. There was no sense in denying that I felt troubled. Rei and I had interviewed the new girl, Hitomi, earlier in the day. She turned out to be as skilled as she said, probably even more so. We had her target shooting with bow and arrow, something both Rei and I were more or less experts on. Hitomi had hit the bulls eye several times in a row WITH HER EYES CLOSED before we called a stop to that particular test. I had to admit I was impressed. I might be able to do it when I concentrated hard enough but the ease with which this Hitomi did it was uncanny. It was quite obvious that she was using senses other than her primary ones. I personally had never met a seer but Kikyou did and that girl came close enough.

And then there was the unexpected vision, or whatever it was. That wasn't even planned. Hitomi had told us that she couldn't control the ability. What she saw was more instinctual than an ability she could utilize at will. Both Rei and I had been rather uneasy when she suddenly went into one, foretelling some kind of danger in the very close future. Oh, that alone wouldn't have made us uneasy. Rei and I had talked afterwards and it turned out that we both had picked up something unnatural approaching. Having our mutual suspicions confirmed this way was more than a little unsettling.

"This place is special. It's like a spiritual node that attracts higher forces. Both good and evil," I said to Sango in a way of an answer, voicing an observation I had made some time ago. On first glance Hikawa seemed like an ordinary family jinja. Not much different from our own. However, both location and the spiritual power that flowed through and came together at this place, suggested a greater purpose than what was obvious from casual observation. It was hardly surprising for me that so many different and unusual gifted people, like us, had been drawn here. Our meeting here was hardly a coincidence. It almost seemed like we were drawn together here for a greater task in the future.

Sango next to me nodded, not really needing for me to explain out loud. Her own senses were pretty sharp and I was pretty sure she had picked up in the shift of atmosphere as well. "But it's our home now," she said quietly, picking up my earlier train of thought. "We have friends here, again. Good friends…" The other girl trailed off, leaving the hidden meaning for me to pick up.

What had been constructed in the last months between the four of us was a harmonizing group where everyone could contribute with their talents, much like what we had had with Inuyasha and the others. I had missed this family-like atmosphere and seeing it develop once more, with different people now, made me kind of nostalgic but also happy. The bond that developed between us was an instant one and it had helped to get both Sango and I to concentrate more on the present than thinking about our darker past.

Determined eyes met my own in a moment of solemn agreement. Whatever was out there to threaten the harmony of our new group would not succeed in shattering it. Not again. Not if we had something to say about this. The events of post-Naraku had pretty much shattered whatever still existed between those of us who had survived. The things that had happened, had alienated us too much. The friendship was still there but we couldn't stay together anymore, each for their own different reasons.

Nodding firmly to each other the decision was made and sealed. We could not effort a repeat of this. This was a new chance that been offered to us and we weren't going to waste it. Already we owed a lot to both our hostess and the younger Sasami, both having contributed to our recovery during the last months. If it was in our power, we would see to it that nothing destroyed the close friendship beginning to form between us.

 

******************************

 

(Rei)

For anyone who didn't spend the last couple of months in Masaki Sasami's presence - close presence at that - it might have been rather tough to locate her. Her unusual aura that created no disturbances whatsoever at any place she went to - something all living things did when they were not inside the Wa of their home - could make her close to invisible, even to those gifted enough to read and detect auras.

It hardly took me more than a minute to locate her behind the big tree in the yard. Our bond had developed to this point already. Another thing I found harder and harder to ignore over time. I was still scared but… that feeling was drowned out more and more lately by those other feelings. Feelings I thought I'd never have, again, and yet were as clear now as the sun rose every day.

I had been doomed the moment we met, I realized when I looked back now, wondering just how this could have happened. Whatever had passed between us had latched onto my heart and would not let go, slowly infecting it. And now I could not get the younger girl out of my mind anymore. She was already at home in my heart. All that was left now was for me to admit it… Which wasn't all that easy. Sasami knew. And as much as it had been hard for me to talk about this, I was eternally grateful that she did. It gave me the assurance that she wouldn't take my continued hesitation as a negative response.

When I came around the old tree, Sasami seemed to jump a little as if she had just been doing something she'd rather not be caught doing. I had noticed before that she sometimes went of by herself without giving any explanation. It was one of those many mysteries and seeing as we all had a basic understanding of these things I usually didn't comment on it.

Right now I found her reaction somewhat odd though. On first glance she seemed to be just sitting there, against the trunk of the tree, doing nothing in particular. I wondered what could make her so jumpy. Especially since she usually knew when I was around, probably more so than I did the other way round.

"You have been awfully timid the entire evening," I said and then motioned for a spot next to her. "May I?" The observation was actually downplaying the matter. Sasami had been more absent and introversive the last couple of days. She was trying hard not to show it with the others but I had noticed her deep in thought rather often and I had the impression she was actually about to tell me a couple of times what was on her mind but apparently thought better of it.

Sasami scooted over, apprehension determining her body language. It made me want to find out what was wrong, one way or another. I DID care for her. And even if our interaction was usually determined by allowing us to set the level of trust individually, I might have to be a little more forward here and request an answer. Not that I wanted her to feel uncomfortable, but whatever she was dealing with, it obviously made her feel just like that.

"You must have felt it," Sasami spoke up quietly after awhile of silence. I was confused for a few moments, trying to figure out what she meant. Then it hit me with sudden clarity. She was obviously talking about that strange sense of danger both Kagome and I had felt lately and which had been more or less confirmed by Hitomi earlier in the day. I had tried meditating on the vision the other girl described but the Sacred Fire wouldn't grant me any insight. I had contacted Ami to check on any kind of unusual readings. The result had been rather disappointing. Whatever IT was, IT seemed to understand how to disguise itself well.

But why was Sasami so torn up about this? True, I still didn't exactly know the full range of her abilities and then there was that mysterious presence that seemed to often mingle with her own, but why would she be so secretive about this? The other girl should know by now that the rest of us would be aware of the same feeling… Or did she know something we didn't and was wondering how to tell us without giving too much of her apparent secrets away? I wasn't sure where the thought had come from. Probably because I came to understand the younger girl so well.

"I shouldn't be here." Huh? My head snapped up and around to look at Sasami sharply. The other girl looked back somewhat sadly and that moment she appeared much older than her age would suggest. It wasn't the first time I noticed that happening which was one of the reasons why I never found myself uncomfortable at the apparent age gap. "I'm getting you all into danger."

"Why?" I asked tentatively, trying to fend off the feeling of dread by her first announcement. I had become so dependent on Sasami that it made me also just as scared to lose her now as it scared me to admit to any kind of deeper feeling. Maybe even more so. It had been true, what I told her yesterday. It WAS nice to be worried about by someone. I've never felt as appreciated as a person than when I was around Sasami.

"I…" she trailed of, looking away.

This was a turning point. I honestly couldn't tell you how I knew at that moment, but I knew this was a turning point in our relationship. A turning point in which direction was still to be decided though. And that decision had been made already in my heart. I could not bear the thought of losing this opportunity. I had to take some steps towards her on my own and I was finally ready to do them. Maybe not all the way yet but enough to make her see that I really did care a lot.

I put a gentle hand on her shoulder and urged her to turn around. Pinkish-red eyes looked up at me troubled, torn. "Is it so hard for you? To trust me with this." I wasn't going to apply pressure here. As I said, I respected her privacy. On the other hand though I had been giving more of myself away when she had about her own past. It made me wonder more than once what exactly she was hiding. Sasami had said that her father was into politics as well. Was she in some kind of trouble, maybe hiding here, and was the danger about her? Her comment would make sense that way. I could only speculate.

Sasami looked down into her lap, averting her gaze from mine. "I wondered when you would ask. There are so many things you don't know about me and some of those… Let us just say it is hard to understand, even for my family and friends. I want to tell you Rei. I really want to." Then she looked up again and I swallowed at the haunted look. "But I am scared. Scared that it will change everything again. I keep telling myself that you will understand when you finally find out who and what I really am…"

And I kissed her.

Didn't see it coming myself but I still did. Short but deep. There was no great fanfare to it. No flashy fireworks or stuff. However, the spiritual fulfillment and completeness I felt for a single moment was telling me all I still needed to know.

"Rei-chan…" Sasami touched her lips in evident shock and it took me a few moments to recover myself. However, then I realized just what had prompted me to do that and an unusual calm - for this kind of situations - overcame me.

"You are the girl who makes me feel better when I have my entire life so far, you are the girl who has blessed this place with joy and happiness not experienced here before. You are the girl that makes me do things I had never thought. But most importantly, you are the girl that obviously doesn't shy away from any kind of reluctance to show me how much she loves me. Or is that not true?"

Sasami stared for a couple of moments, unblinking but not looking away. "No," she finally whispered.

"Good," I said firmly. "Because if that is the truth, then all those things won't change regardless of whatever you think I might or might not understand. I DO understand what I have seen so far. And that," I continued, taking her hand, "is one of the most wonderful creatures I have ever met. I don't know what it is you think is so hard to understand but let me tell you that I have seen quite a bit of weirdness myself in my life and so far I've coped with all of it. So you should have a bit more self-confidence. You bring so much joy to the people around you. That should be enough proof that you have an enormous positive effect on your surroundings." I squeezed her hands. "So start thinking a bit more positively, alright?"

Sasami smiled now, faint but genuine. There was a tear running down her cheek but she quickly wiped it away. "Arigato, Rei-chan."

 

******************************

 

(Kagome)

Breakfast had been unusually tense. It was like everyone KNEW something was going to happen today. What and what size it would be, that was uncertain, but that something would happen was practically a fact. Also, it would most likely be something unpleasant. The atmosphere around the shrine was thick with anxiety, expecting the unknown. It was hard enough to go back to doing normal chores. However, Rei obviously had had finally enough of it and practically ordered us all out to go about the daily routine.

She was clearly reluctant to do her own though. Or to leave Sasami's side for that matter. Since getting up those two had been close to inseparable. They were holding hands under the table for the kami's sake! Come to think of it they had been like that since late yesterday evening. After lunch Rei had followed our youngest member out into the yard, obviously to spend some time together… Something far more significant had to have happened.

I was still rather on edge. I could not claim that I was a fighter but now with Kikyou's memories I saw myself closest to the miko and priestess duties of helping those in need and defending them from evil. I had promised to do whatever was necessary to keep this, our new friends, from being destroyed once again. One time had clearly been enough, I could not stand another. And neither could Sango.

And so I was carrying around arrows and a bow, not really bothering right now what possible visitors would think. Sango had placed Hiraikotsu somewhere where she could reach it easily and fast. Should something happen where we were required to fight, then we would do so. I touched the gem hidden under my robes carefully. And whoever would dare to try and disturb our newfound home, they would soon learn that we had not defeated Naraku with mere luck alone.

I spotted Sasami pretty much absentmindedly sweeping the yard. I had been able to observe this often enough. She often would do something like this when she seemed lost in thought. Not really paying attention to where she was sweeping and often enough working on one spot for minutes. Those instances had become considerably less lately, especially after the hot springs trip, but in the last few days had picked up again.

I had some idea what was going on actually. The younger girl hadn't shared the full story with me. Actually she had only requested for me not to tell anyone yet. I was entirely sure what I was supposed to tell anyway. All I DID know was that during the battle with the Youkai ghost I had seen her utilize the powers of an elemental being herself. Unlike what I had read about ancient human-elemental contracts this one seemed to be much deeper. Physical as well as spiritual. I could draw my conclusions, of course, but they would stay mere speculation until Sasami confirmed them.

And in the end it didn't really matter. Dryad - even if it was really a Yggdrasil dryad - or not, all that I needed to know was that this detail wasn't in the least bit dangerous. In fact it should eliminate any kind of danger potential. While Kikyou had only met a few elementals in her life - rather fleetingly at that - I doubted there was something like an evil dryad - at least not an evil dryad of a Life Tree…

I was very shortly to be proven otherwise and only later would fully realize the irony of that line of thought.

As it was I walked over to the blue-haired girl and gently nudged her with an elbow. Pinkish eyes blinked confused for a moment and then, almost predictably - her cheeks colored slightly when she realized she hadn't been paying attention to her work. "Don't worry about it," I waved the point aside. "We are all a bit on edge right now." I wondered just how much that looming feeling of danger was connected to the other girl or at least how much she knew about it.

Especially in light of what Rei had told us before we all went to our daily chores. She had specifically warned us that something unidentified was approaching and that we should all be on our guard. Neither Sango nor I had missed the looks exchanged between oldest and youngest miko and I could not shake of the feeling that this information was not out of a fire reading or something else that Rei had picked up. Not that I doubted her senses but in spiritual skill we were close enough and I had still not a clue at all just what the ominous feeling that I had had for a few days now meant. Sasami on the other hand was still a rather unknown factor in terms of the full scope of her skills. And taking in account what I had learnt about her recently…

Right now the younger girl seemed rather uncomfortable as if she knew much more about what was going on. I was about to say something to cheer her up when I became witness of a rather strange occurrence. Sasami seemed to literally freeze in mid motion. Her eyes were open but unfocused. My guess was that she might be in deeper conversation with her elemental, so I wasn't immediately worried. Merely curious. When two small signs in the shape of inverted triangles appeared on her forehead though and flashed first a strong blue but quickly turning into a dark yellow I was becoming concerned. I became frantic when Sasami suddenly dropped to her knees, her mouth open as if to cry out, but it was a soundless one.

"Sasami!" I shouted worried, catching her before she could hit the ground. I extended my senses towards her, trying to determine what was wrong. At first I couldn't find anything but then I registered a sudden drop in life energy and with a dark suspicion turned my attention towards where I believed her connection to the elemental was. With a gasp I tore away when I was met by angry yellow flames burning at the base of what bond human and spiritual creature together.

I heard Rei and Sango before they even arrived, my shout must have reached them. Not too surprising Rei was on Sasami's other side in a flash, similarly as to the incident a few months ago. This time though the reaction was much more legitimate. "What happened?" Rei asked grimly and I had to wonder from where she took the sudden control considering her usual reactions when it concerned Sasami. However, it was a very thin control that much I could tell.

"Some kind of spiritual attack I think," I related my observations and caught Rei's hand when I saw her attempting the same that I did. "Don't," I hissed sharply.

Rei was ready to retaliate but at that moment Sango, who had taken a wary, defensive position, cut in, "We are not alone."

With effort Rei tore her gaze away from Sasami and looked around. I did the same. However, our search obviously met with the same result. Not completely negative. Someone or something was definitely here, at the Jinja, VERY close by. I could sense a faint aura resonation but it was distorted and impossible to pinpoint. However, actually seeing whatever was there - which was probably responsible for Sasami's current condition - that was something neither of us obviously could.

Taking into account our individual skill levels that was quite frightening.

Rei shifted next to me and I saw her hand disappearing in her robe for a moment. Her muscles were tense and her face grim, eyes darting back and forth between scanning the yard and with rising concern watching the younger girl between us. Sango had Hiraikotsu already in one hand. It was eerie. Frighteningly eerie. The tension was at its breaking point, any time something could happen now… and we had NO idea what, when and ESPECIALLY where.

So when the strike came, none of us were prepared and we might as well have completely missed it until to later if not something unexpected had happened. Or more like several somethings.

 

******************************

 

(Hitomi)

I was never quite certain why I had had the impulse of taking the pendant back with me at the end of my last visit to Gaea. Van hadn't asked about it, trusting my judgment - or more like instinct - on this but today I was honestly glad that I had followed these instincts. I wasn't sure just how far I could influence things around me or if it was really FATE that was influenced. I didn't really believe fate was predetermined, that is what I had told Dornkirk. Sure, there were obviously things that were fixed in the great shape of things. That I tended to rather call destiny. The greater picture. Fate for me was what determined our individual lives. And what good was free will and all that if your life's story was already completely written for you?

Not very much. And that is why I was a bit wary of my own powers these days. I couldn't quite believe that I was able to influence other people's fate as the spirit of Van's mother had told me back at the valley. Maybe that was one of the reasons behind the motivation of learning more of the ancient myth of Atlantis and everything that was connected to it. I needed to know just exactly what I was able to do so I wouldn't be drawn once more into a conflict like on Gaea, involuntarily causing things to happen that I didn't want to. I needed to know my connection to this ancient, powerful empire of legend because I suspected my abilities might have their origin there.

The pendant was just a focus. It made concentrating easier but it wasn't the source of my visions and other skills. I had found that out quickly enough after I returned to Earth without it for the first time. Right now I was still rather glad that I had it with me. The vision yesterday had left an impression. The images had been rather vague, more like seeing events through a mist. That rarely happened. In fact what I saw of past and future was usually rather detailed. Also, the pendant was practically pulling me towards Hikawa Jinja as I made my way over to Azabu-Juuban this morning. It wasn't like I was required to come over right away, just sometimes over the day to discuss last details. But an undeniable sense of urgency was leading me. Just a good thing that today the teachers on my High School were on some kind of excursion and I didn't need to attend. I probably wouldn't have been able to pay much attention.

My subconscious worry was quickly confirmed when I reached the steps that let up to the shrine. There was a barrier here. And a strong one at that. It wasn't anything technological. More a magical or better spiritual thing. The feeling of urgency immediately tripled. I had been right, something was going to happen here. My vision blurred momentarily and I could see the faint outlines of an event. An older woman about to strike at a familiar young figure. The blue-haired one, what was her name, Sasami. And there was a vague apparition in the background, like an all powerful goddess.

I snapped my eyes open and hastily stepped forward, not even bothered by the barrier as my ability to see the invisible immediately found a weak point that could be exploited. Hurriedly I ran up the stairs, hoping that I could prevent what I had seen. No, I had to believe that I could. If what Van's mother had said was true, then I needed to keep a positive outlook or else my fears and anxiety would become reality.

I arrived in the yard, taking in the scene quickly. The young girl was on the ground - only unconscious I hoped - two of the other girls were kneeling next to her but all looked around guardedly as if expecting an attack at any moment now.

That was when I saw the other person who definitely didn't belong here and at once realized that I was the only one who actually could see her. The woman with her dark blue hair tied into two curly buns up front and a short thicker one in the back was wearing glasses and a kind of armor. But I didn't pay that much attention since she was about to strike at the unaware group in some manner. She had her hand outstretched and some kind of dark yellow energy was gathering around it.

I had to do something fast. "She's behind you!" I called out, pointing at the point where the unfamiliar woman was preparing her assault. It took only a little while for the three conscious girls to look over in surprise at my appearance and then divert their attention to where I indicated the threat was. Unfortunately that short moment of surprise was enough and with doubtless clarity I realized they wouldn't be able to react fast enough as the woman's face contorted into a snarl and her eyes narrowed. Any moment now she would…

Be slammed a couple of feet backwards by a blur of yellow and green. So much for predetermined fate. I definitely hadn't seen the young girl in a kimono-like garb with green hair tied into a single ponytail now holding the surprised and irritated woman at bay with two glowing blue-white blades of light.

 

******************************

 

(Rei)

I wasn't getting through to the others. Something was blocking the signal out. I was no technological expert but reckoned that whoever was behind that obviously was taking no chances with any possible outside interference. We were on our own now, with a threat that we knew was there but that we couldn't see properly. There was a person's aura here but I couldn't pinpoint it properly.

One of the main reasons probably was the greater distraction provided by Sasami's current state. She was not showing any signs of waking up. In fact, I could feel her life force dropping more and more. It concerned me. Scratch that. It brought me close the edge of insanity. Yesterday night was still fresh in my head. The kiss that wasn't even really planned but that I still didn't regret and the assurance I had given the younger girl which HAD come straight from the heart... And then there was the things that I hadn't said but maybe should have. Maybe it was too late now and Kagome had been right and maybe…

Snap out of it! I clamped down on my inner turmoil with a figurative iron fist. That was one of the other reasons why I had never allowed myself to fall in love before. It could become horribly distracting and was nearly destroying all my training and inner focus in a single heartbeat. I had always had a nagging fear that I couldn't balance it properly should I ever find myself in such a situation.

However, I realized that over the last months - and the last years too - I had changed somewhat. Subtle at first, barely noticeable. I began to see that the things I had believed in because of my not so ideal childhood were not always true. And then had come Sasami and she had made all the difference. Somehow she managed to get under all my defenses and make them completely useless. I had learned to trust, both someone else and also myself.

And I would not let this new chance, this glimmer of hope that had been hidden in my heart for long years, slip away again. I wasn't sure if I could bear it.

There was a slight steer and without checking I could tell that Sasami was somehow fighting back against whatever was assaulting her spirit. Grudgingly I had to concede that this was one battle she had to fight herself and all I could do was place my trust in her for her success. I was certain she could do it. Despite not knowing much about the true extent of her abilities or exact details about them, I knew that she was powerful enough. I had to and did BELIEVE in her.

So, as now to focus on the other problem. I had one hand practically in subspace already, more than figuratively grasping my Sailor Crystal. I couldn't care less for witnesses right now. I would protect Sasami, and the others, at all costs. When the shout came I took a moment to locate its owner. But even as I registered that it was Hitomi, I realized that I had made a tactical mistake that Minako would have scolded me for, letting me hear about it for days.

Fortunately without consequence.

I blinked, seeing the new arrival slam into the older woman, whatever had been concealing her was obviously failing as twin glowing blades cut into the black armor… Or at least that was probably what was supposed to happen. The slices seemed to yield not much effect other than driving our assailant back a few feet. Obviously realizing this the other girl, much younger - physically she actually seemed around Sasami's age - disengaged and in a hypnotizing display of grace flipped backwards to land in front of the four of us.

 

******************************

 

(Mizuki)

I had barely made it in time. Aquila had calculated a subspace route that was as fast as it was outstandingly dangerous. However, that was what she had been made for. And while I could not understand Mother's sudden change, I had to admit that she had done a good job. No make that an excellent job. While following this route I had pondered the development. I was quite certain that Kusumi was not quite herself. We had had a few long talks after that disaster on Earth - and after I vented my anger for discarding me so easily - and my mother/creator had seemed to sincerely regret her actions. Even if I had to visibly restrain her from charging back to settle her score with Washu once she discovered that computer virus in her system…

No, Kusumi had changed. I should know. We had spent the last years almost constantly together, working on various projects. This sudden behavior change was irrational. True enough, Mother had always been eccentric but that was going over the top. She would certainly not lock me up without any warning. Not after the time we had spent together recently.

So, that left the question who would… or better who COULD make her act this way. I had not come to any answers on that subject and in the end resolved that catching up to her and averting whatever she planned was the primary objective right now. Everything else could wait for later.

Arriving on Earth, I had spotted Mother's ship in the atmosphere, doing combat with a Juraian ship as it seemed. And if my quick identity scan was correct, it was not just some random ship. But rather the origin of all tree ships - the Ouke no Ki. For a moment I had thought that obviously I needn't have made haste since things appeared under control. That was when Aquila pointed out that my mother's ship was flying on autopilot and that its owner's life signal actually came from Earth's surface.

A diversion.

I had been quick to follow the location my ship's AI had indicated and upon arriving at the Japanese shrine had discovered to my dismay that some kind of force field had been erected just short of my arrival. Blocking out all kinds of transmissions as well as other life forms. Taking a chance I had tried to phase in. At first, I had met the expected resistance but then there was some strange energy disruption. I had not paid it much attention other than exploiting that opportunity. And even then had I barely been in time.

Now I stood in the middle of the shrine, with my plasma blades at the ready. The resistance I had encountered in my mother's suit was strong, stronger than I believed possible with her usual technological inventions. The repelling factor hinted at some sort of additional barrier.

"Mizuki," my mother snarled, "I didn't think you'd get here in time." Obviously she had not expected Aquila to be THAT fast. Serves her right. I had inherited a lot of her knowledge and skill when I was created and was almost as apt as a scientist as she was, and while my mother had helped constructing my new ship, most of the work was my own.

"Mother," I shot back through clenched teeth, no doubt drawing surprise from the group behind me from which I only recognized the young princess. But the rest obviously cared for her and were quite evidently angry at the sneak attack. "What is the meaning of this?" The other girl, the one who had shouted the warning - and I really wondered how she had seen through the cloak -, had come up to stand behind the others a bit uncertain. My main concern was directed at Kusumi, though.

I was furious. "Why are you attacking them? Didn't you promise not to do these things anymore?" Was all that we had talked about just a ruse? Didn't she change at all? The last two years I had really thought we could be a family. The malice and hatred Mother carried around - mostly for Washu - seemed drained. Why was she doing this?

"It is of no concern to you," my mother replied and by all means she sounded much to even, with much less emotion. Usually an interference like this would bring about a bout of anger and ranting. Now she seemed rather cool and collected. More like a robot than a human being. No, the woman I had began to actually respect as my creator over the last years. This was more like a puppet with someone else pulling the strings. "Step out of the way, naïve little girl. I have a mission to fulfill. And then I succeed my talents will finally be properly acknowledged."

Before I could say anything in return, I saw movement behind me. One of the raven-haired shrine girls who had knelt next to Princess Sasami was now standing and looking none too peaceful. She reminded me at once somewhat of Jurai's first princess - now Empress - with the temper matching perfectly. And since I still had no idea about the younger princess' condition, it was all too understandable. In fact I wondered what had happened since I was certain to have intercepted Kusumi before she could do any permanent harm.

"Not to interrupt an obvious heartfelt family reunion," the young woman, the oldest of the group if I judged correctly, said with obvious sarcasm and barely restrained fury, "but you think you can just come in here, hurt one of my friends and get away with that?"

Mother chuckled. "I don't see the what you would be able to do about it. I bet she hasn't even told you about being a princess of the most powerful empire this galaxy has seen for many millennia." I winced. Realizing that the possibility was indeed high that the young princess was here incognito. The reason was unclear but now that I thought about it, Jurai as a whole had been in quite an uproar. Exact information was obviously withheld but it was most likely that Princess Sasami being here had something to do with it. And I doubted that if her friends did not know about her identity yet, this was a rather tactless way of revealing it to them.

The reply from the young woman that had addressed my mother surprised me though. "So, what if she is?" The casual counter surprised Kusumi as well. For a moment her cold demeanor changed to an incredulous and perplexed expression. "It doesn't change anything about who she is and what she means to us."

"Hmph," my mother snorted derisively. "Not that it matters what you think. Now stand aside or I will just have to kill you all."

I lifted my energy blades in a defensive posture, trying one last time to get through to her. "Mother, stop that nonsense at once. If not… Well, I already showed you before that you tend to underestimate…"

Before I could end the sentence the older woman lifted her hand and a blast of yellow energy shot forward. I was able to block it by crossing my two blades in front of myself but the sheer force behind it took me completely off guard. That wasn't a simple energy beam, I thought while rocketing backwards, hard.

 

******************************

 

(Sango)

I could hardly believe my eyes and obviously neither did the rest of our group. The force behind that blast might as well have been lethal and only the younger girl's own weapons had prevented it from meeting that effect and obvious intent. Didn't she call the other woman "mother"? If that was true, how could she then so easily attack her own daughter, not caring whether or not it killed her in the process?

Memories flashed before my mental eye. This was very familiar, too familiar for my liking. So much like the time when Naraku used my little brother to kill his own father and fellow exterminators - myself included even if I survived in the end. After that experience one thing had been burned into my memory. Kohaku's face when he realized what he had been doing. The sheer horror at having committed such a slaughter.

And then, of course, there was the eventual conclusion, despite all my progress still so painful to remember. When I, myself, had been forced to make that awful choice. That had been the most traumatic to deal with. Not the tortures before but that moment where I had to end the life of my own brother in order to save Kagome…

Was it possible that the older woman was similarly made to do this? I could not believe that anyone could raise a finger against their own blood with the intent to harm or even kill. That was something that I could not integrate into my mindset albeit I did know that it happened often enough. However, from Mizuki's words, I believed that she didn't anticipate this sort of behavior and just as much refused to believe that her mother was doing this out of free will.

Unfortunately, that was of little concern right now. Sasami was unconscious or worse. Rei was on the edge of snapping - I could tell having gone through similar episodes often enough - and our adversary posed a not to be underestimated threat. Manipulated or not, she had to be dealt with. If alone for young Sasami's sake. I owed the girl so much already. The idea of her coming to any harm made me furious enough to rush in right away and strike at the enemy if not for my battle training kicking in and reminding me of the folly of such an action.

"Now, who said I underestimated you, daughter? I made you, so I should know your limits better than anyone else," the older woman commented, only sparing the groaning form of the younger girl a passing glance. The blast had knocked the pinkish ribbon that tied her light green hair into a ponytail across the yard and her hair was now in quite a bit of disarray. "Now. Surrender Princess Sasami to me if you don't want to meet the same fate."

I scowled in dismay and really wished Kirara was here - she had gone out for a stroll in the neighborhood this morning and had not been back yet which worried me just as much. But Rei was acting faster. "No," was all she said in a dark voice that broke no argument. In one fluid motion she had an ofuda in her hand and was chanting under her breath. Normally, I would think this to be quite useless but maybe she had the same idea that the older woman was manipulated, maybe some form of possession. And I had hardly ever seen anyone able to channel so much spiritual energy into a simple ofuda. Miroku had been rather good but Rei's ability was even much more potent. And right now her powers were fueled by an intense and righteous anger and concern for Sasami's safety.

Our foe was obviously a little surprised by the vehement refusal, having not expected that much resistance from a bunch of - in her opinion - obvious "little girls". Without further words or ceremony Rei launched her charged ofuda at the woman who watched it approach curiously and not very concerned. It turned out she had any right to be this idle since the prayer strip made contact with what was obviously some kind of barrier that flickered into existence for a bare moment. "Was that supposed to do something?"

Maybe not that, I thought grimly. I had circled around the woman and instinctively followed our nominal leader's initiative. As soon as she had thrown the ofuda I was in the air, Hiraikotsu ready for a swing that would take our foe down quickly. Seeing the barrier I probably should have stopped my attack but on top of being in mid air, my instinct was telling me that the spiritual attack could have weakened the barrier. Gathering my strength I slammed Hiraikotsu downwards...

The woman seemed to sense my attack at the last moment. Whirling around with a perplexed look on her face, she brought up her arm in a vain attempt to deflect the strike. It was, however, my turn to watch in surprised dismay when my trusted weapon that could easily cut up a normal Youkai met the armor of the woman and was rebounding on it. Distracted by this development, I had no time to react properly when my foe brought up her other hand. Reflexes took over and I twisted my body to the side.

Pain exploded all over my body as I was flung backwards, striking the pavement HARD. Again instincts took over and I allowed myself to turn my fall into a clumsy roll that prevented further injury upon impact but I had to fight the impulse of submitting to unconsciousness. In the end I could be glad to not have taken the attack up front or I might have not been so lucky. As it was the beam had only caught me in the side. Not that that wasn't enough. I had, however, endured FAR worse back in my own time and had built up what others would call amazing stamina and so it only took a handful of moments to regain awareness of myself and my surroundings again.

I caught the end result of one of Kagome's arrows striking the barrier full force. My lover was clearly upset, which was to be expected. Unfortunately her shot had little to no effect in even temporally breaking the shield. "I admit that was unexpected. You had your chance though. Now I won't take you so lightly anymore." She raised her hands towards the rest of the group, intent evident. Fear for my lover and friends prompted me to strain against the impulse of resting my battered body a little longer. I had sworn not to let anything happen to either of them, not again.

Once more I was in for a surprise when Rei took a stance between Sasami, Kagome, Hitomi and the recovering Mizuki and our foe. "That is enough. I don't know who you are or what you want with Sasami and frankly I don't care. No one hurts my friends and lives not regretting it. You picked your fight with the wrong sort of people." With that she thrust her right arm into the air, holding a red glowing object in her hand. "MARS CRYSTAL POWER!"

Fiery red energy washed over Rei's body reforming into a uniform resembling what Japanese school girls tended to wear. With a short red skirt and white top with a purple ribbon in the center. Her head was adorned with a tiara, a red gem in the middle. Now, I HAD read once or twice about the urban legend of the so-called Sailorsenshi that been active just a few years before I came to this era but I had not seen any pictures and couldn't draw the connection right away.

I couldn't see the other woman's reaction being behind her but the rest of my friends were definitely surprised. It doesn't really matter now, I told myself. The battle was not over yet. Questions and explanations could be made later. And I certainly had seen enough what the people of this time - and many of my own - would consider supernatural. I could take this revelation in stride. And besides… If the rumors and stories I have heard were true, we might as well have gained a definite edge in this battle.

"Now," Rei, or whatever she called herself now, stated in a deathly calm voice, "try this for starters." With that she put her hands and fingers together in a traditional prayer pose, a fireball shaping on the tips of her fingers. "FIRE SOUL!"

As I forced myself into motion once more, I thought to myself that this was getting weirder and weirder. Nonetheless, I had a promise to uphold and I would not, could not fail this one.

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

The landscape around me was rather distorted and I still felt rather fuzzy, so that didn't help either. What happened anyway? My memories of recent events only started to return with annoying slowness. I knew that something major had happened. I was outside when Kagome joined me. But before we managed to strike up a real conversation, Tsunami had called me that she was currently battling an unidentified ship. She had been worried, believing something was odd about it since the ship was making no real effort to get past her - not that that should be possible by anything short of a second Soja - and then…

Then the connection had been broken. No, not just broken. I had felt like a flame was burning away at all attachments I had to Tsunami, tearing away at our spirits with a merciless vehemence. I tried reaching out to my eternal companion but as feared there was nothing. Not even a faint echo. This was not like when she left before to do things on her she didn't want me to know about - like when she first went to see Martel. That constant presence that I had become accustomed to for years since the incident on Jurai was completely gone. And it made me feel horribly empty, lost and powerless. For a moment I feared that something might have happened to my other half but that was impossible. If anything, I should be the one who would rather prove to be the weaker link. Tsunami could survive on her own. She had before I came into the picture and I was sure she still could if I was to die.

But then what happened? I wasn't dead. Not completely. I could tell that by instinct. The surroundings were kind of familiar. I focused on the swirling colors and mostly non-physical surroundings. Of course, I was on the Astral Plane. On an enclosed space of the Astral Plane that prevented me from going anywhere. It was a trap.

"So, you do possess some skill after all. Hardly surprising since Tsunami would surely not want her host ignorant." I whirled around at the voice and watched a shadowy figure take shape. The apparition was taking up a huge amount of space. It was a woman with grayish hair and four red strands that came out of a yellow gem on her forehead. She had cold and passive features, barely any extreme emotion betraying her face. "Welcome, Princess Sasami. Avatar and appointed host to my dear sister."

I recognized the woman instantly. I had never met her in person but Tsunami's memory about her elemental sibling were so strong and dominant that it was hard to not pick them up. "Tokimi," I whispered in apprehension bordering on actual fear. It all made sense to me now. Tokimi had to have that planned, separating Tsunami and I somehow. And without Tsunami's aid I stood no chance against her. "What… what do you want?" I demanded timidly, "What did you do to us?"

"I have come to stop you from interfering further. It would serve no purpose to tell you my motivations since you will be removed in the next moments anyway," Tokimi answered, never changing her expression, totally confident of her success. I took a step back reflexively, staring up at the giant form of the elemental Tokimi chose to project herself as. I knew that she had the power to go along with her threat. No, for her it was more a statement. We had not heard anything from Tsunami's sibling in years now but it appeared that she had caught us both totally off guard. And there was nothing I could do now. Not without Tsunami. I was alone and the absence of my long-time companion drained my fighting spirit.

"Exactly. You have always been the weakest of those Tsunami chose to assimilate with. Her original self and even that human who bore her name. They were powerful. But you? All you are good for is to provide a physical body and I cannot allow my sister this ability. That is why you have to be removed. And since you are also so closely linked by now, your loss will considerably weaken her." So that was it then. I was a liability after all. While Tsunami might get the ability to take physical shape through me, I was also providing her with a weakness as long as we were not fully assimilated. Tokimi's words cut right into my own already weakened spirit and on this plane my spirit was the dominant form after all.

You should have a bit more self-confidence. You bring so much joy to the people around you. That should be enough proof that you have an enormous positive effect on your surroundings. So start thinking a bit more positively, alright?

Rei's words from the previous evenings sprang into my mind, combined with an image of the fair raven-haired beauty who had taken me in and given me a new home, a new family… a new love, my real love. And there was still something I needed to do. I needed to receive her answer. I needed her to tell me that she returned my feelings because… Because I should not doubt that she would. All signs were pointing in that direction and she herself had told me to be more confident about myself.

But what could I possibly do? Without Tsunami I was only the unimportant second princess of Jurai, only another… Only another member of the Royal Family! Of course. Most nobles who were bonded to a Ouke no Ki received their powers from the connection to their partners but some, especially those of pure royal blood possessed already their own inherited spiritual abilities. The trees were mostly there to provide a greater supply of energy to the human partner.

"You are scared of me," I stated with a smile slowly forming on my face as I looked up to Tokimi defiantly. The woman actually showed a fair amount of surprise at the reaction. "I get it now. You ARE scared of. You know that when Tsunami and her namesake assimilated they became too powerful for you to confront directly. That is why you never made a direct attack against us. And now you fear that when our assimilation is complete you would never succeed in your plans."

The passive, expressionless façade cracked for a moment, hints of a snarl showing on Tokimi's face. "What could you possibly do without Tsunami? Without her, you would not even be alive at this point. And even if you were right and I DID fear you, you cannot escape here."

I stood a bit taller now, squaring my shoulders as I faced off with one of the most powerful creatures in the galaxy, drawing on Rei's supportive words and the strength that suddenly flowed through me when I thought about her. "You will not hold me," I stated firmly, spiritual energies gathering around me as I drew on my own, inherited abilities, the powers that marked me as a descendant of the royal line of Jurai. "I am Princess Sasami of Jurai. Chosen partner of Tsunami, one of three most powerful Yggdrasil the galaxy knows. I refuse to bow down to you, Tokimi." I could feel it now. The bare, potent energies. I realized now how much I had neglected that part of myself. Since becoming bonded to Tsunami and understanding her better, I had relied on her more and more. Her knowledge, her power. But I had skills and powers of my own and while they were untrained, I knew instinctively how to use them to escape this prison.

The relationship between Tsunami and me was a symbiotic one. And my part was not just to merely provide the body. It was much more. And that was what Tokimi actually did fear.

Sending one last look of defiance at the woman who now showed unconcealed disbelief at the bright spiritual energy surrounding me, I released the gathered power, applying my own skill with the knowledge I had gained from Tsunami to deal with such situations and fueled by the newfound confidence instilled by Rei. The resulting flare was too bright to look at but I was certain that I had succeeded.

 

******************************

 

(Mars)

This thing was ridiculously resistant. I might have had better chances taking on Metallia one by one than this. Currently I was running around in a circle, bombarding the enemy with rows of Burning Mandala that all impacted upon that strange barrier that seemed to practically sniff out any energy making contact with it. Physical attacks were no good either since they were rebounding and the resulting psychic shock was not one to be recommended. I had tried it once and since then rather relied on long-range attacks. Not that they met with better results.

I really wished that the others were here. As strong as this barrier was, nothing could stand long before our combined power. Also, the aid I did have here was not exactly what you could call a team. I had only known Sango for a few months and while she proved to be an exceptional fighter, her skills were mostly close-combat and weapon-related, making her much less effective in this situation. The new arrival, the girl named Mizuki, at least had energy beams to offer that added to my own attacks. But they were just as useless as my fire.

I just couldn't hazard what was powering that barrier. There had to be some kind of weakness.

Sango dove out of the way of another beam from the woman who stood behind her force field with not much concern… which was rather justified in my opinion. Realizing that our opponent readjusted her aim to follow the evasion, I quickly aimed and sent another clumsy Fire Soul in front of her vision so that she was momentarily blinded.

Sango used the opportunity to join me, clearly winded, not to mention what trouble the wound to her side was still giving her. I was amazed that she was still standing. "You've seen it too, didn't you?" I asked, referring to our opponent's tactics. True, one less versed in combat would only see our foe standing there taking shots from the safety of her shield. However, I had spent far too much time as a Senshi and we had come from fledgling soldiers to veterans over the years.

Sango nodded. "She is moving much too sloppy. If the barrier was not there, she'd be no problem." That had been something I had become aware of in the first few moments. The offending woman was moving much too slow to meet attacks, more calculating than instinctive.

"Mother isn't a fighter," Mizuki startled us for a moment, materializing at our side. "She is a scientist and that is how she would view a fight." Her face was grim and she was clearly upset about the older woman. "What I don't understand though is how she can generate a spiritual shield of such strength. Mother's abilities are… average at best. She rather relies on her inventions and other gadgets."

That was somewhere along my thinking. It made a lot of sense actually. The woman did not strike me as very intimidating and while I knew appearance could be deceiving, there was definitely something more behind this. Something neither of us could perceive and the only one who might have a clue…

I glanced behind me to see Sasami still unconscious. However, there was a noticeable difference now. Her life force, barely existing before, was returning. Not just returning… "What the…?" My battle companions turned just in time to brace themselves as a sudden eruption of spiritual energy made everyone sensitive enough jump from the sheer intensity. It also made my heart jump in joy and relief to see consciousness returning to the blue-haired girl - princess.

If the woman I learned by now was named Kusumi thought she could impress us with her revelation, she obviously didn't know who she was dealing with and right now all I was glad about was to see Sasami still among the living. And that should give me even more motivation to win this battle. For her and for my new friends who had come to mean so much to me.

 

******************************

 

(Hitomi)

I wonder if I had a nick for stumbling into situations where I appeared to be well over my head. By all positive thinking I was trying to do, chaos and fighting seemed to follow me ever since that fateful day that I first went to Gaea. Now all I was trying to do was to accept a part-time job at a local Jinja and earn some extra money, maybe making some new friends on the way. And here I was, once again in the middle of a mighty struggle. Well, alright. It was more a one-sided struggle. The one side struggling, the other just shrugging it off with ease.

I was by no means a fighter. In fact I could barely stand all the chaos and destruction battles and wars were creating. I thought I left it all behind with the defeat of Zaibach but it seemed that Dornkirk's observation that war was a part of human fate had at least some merit. A sad realization indeed.

"Her life force is rising!" the dark-haired girl - Kagome - next to me exclaimed. I was by no means as spiritually skilled as her but indeed it seemed that the younger girl in our midst was settling down, her breathing evening out. The spasms that had been shaking her body earlier were gone and an almost eerie calm seemed to have overcome her. Suddenly there was a spark of energy that even I felt, especially being in such close proximity and it made me jump a little.

Sure enough a moment later the young girl - Sasami - was blinking her eyes blurrily, trying to focus on her surroundings. "Are you alright?" Kagome asked worriedly, for the moment ignoring the still ongoing fight. "You gave us quite a scare there." I was certain the others would have liked to express their own concerns but at the moment they were hard-pressed to stay alive. The older woman was not giving them much time to breathe.

"I guess so," Sasami groaned groggily, sitting up a bit more steadily with Kagome's help. Then her voice turned to one of surprise, "Kusumi-san, Mizuki-san?" she blinked at the battle waged only a few meters away. It occurred to me that it might be a good idea to get a bit more distance between us, now that the blue-haired girl was more or less alright.

"You know them?" I asked, gesturing in the direction of the combatants.

Sasami obviously needed a moment to recognize me - not surprising - but eventually nodded.

I had focused on the green-haired girl, sneaking up behind her so-called mother, and before Sasami could further elaborate, another brief vision flared before my mental eye. Almost too fast to pick up any details and almost too late to be of any use. The girl named Mizuki was already in the air, moving with her blades ready at breakneck speed towards the older woman, not knowing that she was aware of her daughter. "Mizuki-san, watch out!" I called out, wondering if it would make a difference.

Fortunately it did. When her target suddenly turned to fire at her, she was long gone, vanishing into thin air and reappearing a good distance away as I had seen her do some times before. Unfortunately though, my interference had triggered the wrath of the older woman and before I knew it, she was suddenly focusing on us, or more like me. "Annoying wrench."

I barely had time to gasp when the yellow energy shot directly towards me. It was all happening too fast. Screw the theories of time slowing down in such situations. Before I became grilled though, gentle yet surprisingly strong hands grabbed me. I couldn't quite describe what it felt like. Being in one spot at one moment and at another at the next - actually we had barely moved an inch. I had been too paralyzed and probably terrified to pay much attention though. Only when I realized that I wasn't a pile of ash did I dare look up, seeing green eyes matching my rescuer's hair color looking back in a mix of concern and relief.

"That was close," stated Mizuki and I felt a curious tingle running through my body. I wondered what it was but had no real time to analyze it further. Mizuki's face hardened in anger as she turned back. "That does it, Mother. Stop getting innocents involved in this or I really have to hurt you."

Her mother didn't look very impressed. "They are standing in my way." She glanced at where Sasami was getting back to her feet. "And since it seems my Mistress was unable to take care of the young princess herself that I have to finish the job."

"What are you talking about?" Mizuki demanded in return, now clearly pissed off if she wasn't already before. This was the first time that our mutual suspicion that someone bigger was behind Mizuki's mother had been confirmed. And having that confirmed seemed to make the graceful girl even madder. Understandable enough. I could relate to that. When Van and Allan had fought with the intent to kill each other under the influence of Zaibach's Fate Redirector, I had been torn between disbelief and fury myself. And so I could very well understand the other's girl irritation.

I just think neither of us expected a direct answer at that point.

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

"Tokimi," I breathed, still somewhat fuzzy from the prior ordeal and thus not really aware that at least those close to my position could hear me. I had been surprised, to say the least, to see Mizuki and her nominal mother/creator here. If anything this was an odd choice to make for my other half's sister. Not necessarily one I couldn't understand seeing as Kusumi had had her on taint already. But, she hardly was in the league of Kagato or even Clay who Tsunami had always suspected to knowingly or unknowingly work for the power-hungry elemental. Obviously she did not expect much resistance.

Just like she underestimated me, I thought with a grim smile that quickly disappeared as I saw Sango and Rei - who was in what I believed to be her Senshi uniform - hard-pressed to divert a now close to enraged Kusumi. Mizuki just now left Hitomi's side and entered the fray once more. However, while I had missed everything that led to this point I could easily see that their efforts were and would remain fruitless. There was some sort of force field around Kusumi that seemed to absorb all their attacks. And it didn't take much for me to figure out what or better who was powering it.

"Who's that?" Kagome asked, making me realize with a start what I had just said. But it hardly mattered now.

"Someone you don't want to mess with," I replied darkly, trying to concentrate through the fog that the spiritual attack had left in my mind. I still felt horribly alien in my own body since I still couldn't sense Tsunami, prompting the concern for my long-time companion to leak through once more. On impulse I glanced upwards, hoping to see some sign of her ship self. However, what I saw first made me blink in wonder and then a slow smile spread over my face. Now, I knew what was going on and glancing back at the other two girls at my side, a plan began to form. A plan to turn the tide in this battle, drastically.

 

******************************

 

(Kagome)

Sasami's gloomy statement made me shiver despite not able to attribute the name. I had a feeling it had something to do with her dryad. And if that was true I could easily see the magnitude there… or at least the general idea behind it since I still had no idea how strong the younger girl and her elemental friend were.

I glanced worriedly towards the battle. Sango was getting weary, her earlier injury obviously taking its toll on her body. That was so like her. So… self-destructive. She had done the same thing many times before. For example when she heard of the attack on the rest of her village after just losing her father, brother and comrades. Naraku had tricked her into believing that Inuyasha was responsible and despite heavy injuries she pushed herself onwards, only a borrowed Shikon shard sustaining her will and ability to fight.

Or that incident than Kohaku had nearly killed me the first time… Not to even mention the second time. After that last straw, I wondered if she might have really killed herself. It was very likely and the thought made my heart freeze with dread. I would not allow that though. As long as I was still breathing I would ensure that Sango could LIVE her life. Too much of its beauty had already been taken away from her.

Sango wasn't the only one tiring though. Rei was still in good shape but the green-haired girl was showing signs of fatigue herself. And if both went down, there was no telling how long our nominal leader could hold off Kusumi. Something had to be done. And something had to be done now.

"Isn't there anything you can do?" I half-whispered, keeping my voice low and puncturing the question with a meaningful look. It was hardly necessary since Hitomi was currently focused on the battle or more like entranced by the green-haired Mizuki who had just pretty much saved her life. I mentally shrugged and concentrated on Sasami again.

"No. Tokimi cut us off," she replied, getting the hint, "The barrier around the Jinja keeps us separated somehow." I looked up automatically. I had sensed before that there was something blocking us off from the outside but wasn't very certain until now. It made some sense now, especially answering the question why Kirara with her acute senses hadn't been back yet. But if it was THAT barrier that was the key… "Alone I doubt either of us can break it," Sasami picked up my thought. "But together…"

"Right," I said, gripping my bow firmly. "What do we do?"

Sasami, however, turned first to Hitomi, who had torn her eyes away from the battle for the moment, with a questioning look. The brown-haired girl obviously caught the last part and nodded slowly. "Alone I don't have enough power at the moment to break Tokimi's control over Kusumi. However, with your ability to break any kinds of spells," she nodded towards me, "and your ability to see the hidden," now she nodded at Hitomi, "we can at least break the barrier that her energy is powering." She reached out with both her hands. "Give me your hands."

Hesitantly Hitomi took Sasami's one hand while I took the other. "I will now have to link our spirits together. It might feel a little weird but this way I can focus our individual abilities better. First I will help Hitomi in locating the exact origin point of Tokimi's energy. When we have it I will relate that point to you, Kagome, and then we'll lend you as much power as we can. All that you have to do when is to hit it."

"Right," I said sarcastically. "Easy enough." Actually, hitting something when I knew where to hit was really no problem anymore. Before the final merging my skill had been more instinctual, now I KNEW exactly what was the best place to hit something in order to bring maximum results.

Green energy began to glow around Sasami and then began to envelop Sango before I felt it touch myself. My first reflex was to pull away but I managed to resist it, only wincing when I saw Sango take another near hit that sent her to the ground. This had to work. It just had to. I felt the Shikon no Tama glow and drew some inner strength from it. I had been hard pressed to actually use it but was glad that maybe there didn't seem a need to do so. Nonetheless I extracted just a bit of energy from the vast pool.

At first I thought I had unconsciously taken too much but then I realized that it was the energy of the other two girls flowing into me. "Do it now," Sasami breathed and I realized she had let go of our hands as well as dropped to her knees in obvious exhaustion. I turned back to the battle and… Well, I couldn't really describe it. I thought I would see something extraordinary. Some glowing point of light that indicated my target. Instead I simply KNEW where to aim. I would have to ask Hitomi how exactly her abilities worked, but that was for another time. For now there was something more important to do.

Drawing an arrow from my quiver I had it lined up in a heartbeat and was pushing all the stored up energy into it, presenting me with the rather spectacular side of the arrow actually glowing in a bright white before I even released it.

It was now or never.

 

******************************

 

(Rei)

"Rei, DODGE!"

Years of battle instincts made me heed the warning cry from my back and I dove forward and into an evasive roll. Moments later I felt an intense wave of spiritual force pass overhead and I looked up in amazement at the blazing arrow flying towards our foe… and missing the target completely.

I blinked in confusion, staring after the projectile continuing onwards. Kusumi laughed and glanced at Kagome. "You should work on your aim."

"Are you so certain about that?" the dark-haired girl replied, confidently. And that was when I understood. Kusumi or her own shield was never the target. It was the other barrier around the shrine that was keeping us closed off. I was half-surprised that I was even able to reach my planet in order to transform since that huge barrier obviously blocked all energy from outside and inside. That was a wild guess, mind you, but as I was to learn later, a pretty good one.

Kusumi whirled around, obviously getting the message. All too late though. The arrow impacted on a seemingly random point in a bright flare and as if made out of glass the entire dome shattered and with it - I noted - most of the older woman's own shield. I had kept an eye on the power level of that shield, trying to see if it would weaken over time. Now most of its quality seemed to be rapidly draining away and what was left was but a mere fraction of the former glory.

I reacted immediately, bringing my hands together, I drew on the rest of my reserves for one last attack. "MARS SNAKE FIRE!" Flames merged together into a huge snake-like apparition and slammed into Kusumi's remaining shield, momentarily obscuring her form. When they died down the woman was still standing but now with only her armor as protection.

Which was not very much as Mizuki proved materializing just above Kusumi with a grim smile of anticipated satisfaction for all the trouble her mother had given her. "You forgot a helmet, Mother," she quipped before striking hard with her foot at the unprepared woman who collapsed in an unceremonious heap, bringing a somewhat anti-climatic end to the battle.

Not that I cared much. I permitted myself a sigh of relief on my own, feeling the adrenaline from the battle drain away. My first concern was with Sasami though. And once glance in her direction was enough to get me moving despite my body's protests. All the running around had made me see that I horribly neglected practice as of late. I would have to put in some extra endurance training.

That could come later though. Now I had to make sure that Sasami was alright. And then there was something I had to tell her. This morning's battle and the horrible long minutes in which I had been uncertain what had happened to the younger girl and where I was unable to do something had torn the last bit of reluctance on my part to pieces. I could have lost her today and I doubted I could have dealt with that. I would make sure that she knew it. And no secrets or mysteries would keep me from that.

Slowly I approached the mostly passive - but in the end rather decisive - group. I tried to reign in my anxiety at the sight. It was obvious that the reason for Sasami's current state was mostly exhaustion. I had no idea what exactly it was that she had done and right now it didn't matter very much. Despite all my efforts, the first thing that came out of my mouth after kneeling down next to her was, "Hey, are you alright?"

Sasami looked up and just then I realized that I was still in my Senshi guise and she hadn't seen me transform. I got a thorough surprise though as pinkish eyes glanced up with unconcealed affection. "I'm fine, Rei, just tired." She missed my astonished look because the next moment the blue-haired girl snuggled against me comfortably. Instinctively I wrapped my arms around her before I could even question the action.

"It's okay, you can rest now," I assured, momentarily ignoring everything else around me and thus not noticing the knowing look of Kagome.

Sasami shifted a little in my arms, making herself more comfortably. I didn't really mind. I was so scared when I came out and found her passed out, on the verge of death, it had nearly cost me my own concentration and my own life in the process during the battle. "Just need a moment to reconnect," Sasami mumbled and while I was still wondering what she meant, she added, "Tsunami-chan…" A blue glow momentarily engulfed her. It was by no means unsettling. In fact the sensation as the otherworldly energy brushed against my hypersensitive senses was one of peace and full with life. It was reassuring and… grateful. The same presence I always feel around her since she's came to stay with me, I thought. Does it have anything to do with what she fears I won't understand.

I doubted Sasami even knew what she said, clearly in a state of mind that was less than fully conscious. I felt a little bad about witnessing what had obviously not been for me to see, yet. On the other hand Sasami seemed to know about my secret as well… Don't get me wrong. I wasn't really angry about that. Just curious. There was hardly anything that I could not forgive the younger girl. Because…

Yes. Because I had fallen in love with her.

I knew now. Beyond a doubt. The fear of losing her had been so overwhelming. I couldn't deny it anymore. Sasami had made me experience and trust in love again where I had thought it wasn't for me anymore. Like an angel she had descended into my life and brought her light into it, making me see and experience things I didn't have before. And that was something I intended to tell her once she was fully recovered there was no putting this off any longer.

I finally tore my eyes away from the girl in my arms - but making no move to let her go - and looked around at the scene of the recent battle. The yard looked like a miniature war zone. Not all THAT bad but repairs would surely take some time. Which is fine with me. I think we all need some more relaxing after this, I noted by surveying the state of our group. Beside our own physical and spiritual exhaustion, there was Sango who had taken quite a few nasty hits and had not even bothered to get up again, following the conclusion groggily in a sitting position. The younger girl, Mizuki, was a bit winded herself as she was checking over her alleged mother. While they had just thought bitterly a moment ago, it was obvious that she was still very concerned.

"Okay," I said with as much firmness as I could muster. "Everyone who needs to rest, go take a nap. I think we all need it. We can make recap later. We are all tired and some of us need to get treated." There were mumbles of agreement all around us. I turned to Mizuki and her mother and called out, "Mizuki-san?" The girl turned around to look back questioningly. This was probably against my better judgment and I put a lot on the notion that the older woman would now be free of whatever had control over her. "If you make sure she doesn't go berserk again, you can put her in one of the guest rooms." Mizuki seemed surprised but also thankful. I really wasn't in a state to care though. All I wanted to do right now was bringing Sasami back inside and to get her some rest.

And of course, to do that other thing.

 

******************************

 

(Sango)

What a mess, I thought darkly, surveying the damage done to the yard. Thankfully enough, besides some darkened areas the buildings had evaded the most damage. The holes in the yard, caused by energy beams, and the easily visible scorch marks from Rei's fire attacks had created quite a bit of damage. Since the barrier was now down, Rei's grandfather had to close down the Jinja for awhile, in order to conduct repairs. Fortunately - relatively spoken - Mizuki's mother had offered to fix the damage. Don't ask me how. As I understood it by now, those two weren't even from this planet which explained their strange abilities. In fact, now that the entire thing was over and done with, they - especially the older scientist named Kusumi - appeared to be quite nice fellows. The most amazing thing was though that Kusumi did not remember a single thing about what she had done or about this Tokimi character. Sasami told us afterwards that that was how Tokimi usually worked and left it at that. As fresh as the battle weariness still was, no one dared to ask for further details and the blue-haired girl seemed confident that something like this wouldn't happen again. At least not very soon.

I sat down on the porch, feeling quite tired myself from all the fighting done just a couple of hours ago. Kagome would probably be angry with me for not resting longer, however, my adrenaline value was still pretty high. I hadn't fought this hard since the final battle with Naraku over a year ago. In fact I hadn't fought a serious battle since then. I must be getting rusty. Usually I could go much longer than I had today.

"Wasn't I clear enough, saying that you should REST?" the stern voice of my lover sounded directly behind my ear. I had to beat down my racing heartbeat and the impulse to jump.

Guiltily I risked a glance to the side as the other girl sat down next to me. However, what I saw was not so much full-fledged fury but more a mixture of heavy concern and an iron determination. Uh oh. Not good, I thought.

"You had me scared out there," Kagome continued, not letting me speak up to begin with. "You shouldn't take such risks." Her voice had an unmistakable edge to it and if I hadn't so far, now I definitely knew how Inuyasha had to have felt in these kind of situations. Just like him though, I also would retaliate. Not so much because I didn't know any better but more because I had good reasons. Or at least I thought that I did.

"Well, excuse me. It was either that or us. And I'd rather die than let anything happen to you," I replied, equally determined. This was the full truth and she knew it. I had lost so much already, pretty much everything had been taken from me. Family, friends, most of my life. All that I had left was Kagome and if something happened to her and I would live to see it… I doubted that I would survive it, literally.

Kagome looked at me and her eyes were swinging between being moved and irritation. "That's not what I mean!" she finally shouted and made me flinch back. However, I was halted immediately by a surprisingly firm arm over my shoulders pulling me close. "You've always been doing this," my lover continued in a more hushed tone, "Ever since I knew you, you have been pushing yourself beyond your limits. You are knowingly taking the risk to your own life into account." She paused briefly and took a slow breath before continuing, "Because you think there is no reason for you to go on, no one left to cry over you." Another pause and another breath. And then there was The Look. "But, Sango, if you really meant it when you first told me that you were in love with me, then there is someone who will be very sad if you were to be gone."

There were a few tears glimmering in her eyes and it made my own heart ache at the intensity of feeling directed at me. I knew better than to argue with her than she had That Look. Inuyasha usually tended to run, I found it rather adoring actually. And the appreciation of being favored with IT was definitely worth the emotional chaos. I reached out to brush away the tears but Kagome caught my hand and held it to her heart. "You have me, Sango-chan, and you have the others now, too. You are not alone."

And that was the truth, I realized with a start, snuggling closer to the other girl, into the protective warmth of her embrace. "Hai, I am." I didn't argue just because it was the healthy thing to do - and believe me I wasn't exaggerating - but also because I knew, deep in my heart, that what she said was true and what I thought earlier was long past. I had a life again. I had friends and a quasi family again. I had Kagome. There was no need for me to be fatalistic anymore.

 

******************************

 

(Mizuki)

With a good bit of melancholy, I stared after my mother's ship as it ascended into orbit and then above it. She had really taken it hard. I had expected some guilt, hoped for a bit more but nothing so… drastic. Logically, I knew this might be for the best but my heart tried to come up with a number of - quite valid - reasons that could have stopped her. In the end, I hadn't. Mother had simply been too determined… or more like too depressed to argue with.

I really hadn't expected her too take it this hard. It was true that we had become a lot closer over the last two years, as mother and daughter should be. However, I had been surprised to see the unconcealed shock in her face when I told my mother about the battle and when I mentioned that she had not hesitated to kill me as well. I suppose I had not noticed many of the inner changes Kusumi had undergone since her defeat at the hands of Tenchi-tachi and myself. This was hardly too surprising, seeing as she was a scientist and usually not all that much for deeper emotions. She never really was the type for typical family, love and all that stuff either. I had gotten used to it. Her feelings had been made clear through other things and I had learned to recognize them. Only with the degree I had done some obvious misjudgment it would seem.

I became aware of a presence behind me. It was the girl from earlier, the one that had saved my butt with her vital warning. True, I had repaid that debt but if not for me she wouldn't have triggered Mother's attention anyway. I wasn't entirely sure why she followed me out here, a few blocks away from the Jinja in the back of a deserted building that had sufficient landing space but I intended to find out.

"Do you usually spy on other people," I asked teasingly, only turning around when I heard a satisfying squeak. I gave the girl a smile, meaning to reassure her that I wasn't really angry. It didn't help much.

"Ah… no… that is…" the girl - Hitomi I think was her name - stuttered and then quickly tried to change the subject. "Um, not to intrude on family business but…"

"Was it the right thing to let her go?" I completed, expecting the question easily enough. I was asking myself the same thing after all. Mother had not lost many words on her reasons but said after she heard that I had almost been killed by her, twice, that she decided she could not be around anyone for awhile until she got her feelings under control. It was irresponsible in my opinion, to take something so hard that wasn't even your - conscious - fault, but Kusumi had seemed so devastated I had relented quickly enough.

"I'm not entirely sure," I spoke eventually, seeing as the other girl was obviously too flustered to say something. "She needs to work through some stuff. Being controlled like that… She took it harder than even I thought." I sighed. "Mother has always been eccentric and irrational. In fact," I added with a smirk, "I rather prefer that than the way she's been under this Tokimi person's control."

"And what are you going to do now?" The question surprised me since it was voiced with a definite edge to it that I doubted the brown-haired girl was even aware of. There had been some sort of curious reaction when I saved her from one of Mother's attacks which's meaning I wasn't entirely sure about.

I shrugged it off for the moment. "I'll stick around to help with the damage at least. I feel somewhat responsible. After that, I'm not sure. But it seemed Her Highness is in desperate need of some protection." I said the last bit jokingly. I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do on my own. Maybe I could really spent some time here on Earth. The planets we usually visited were often not very enjoyable and only good for research and scientific purposes.

"Well," Hitomi replied, more relaxed - if not actually relieved, "I was going to work there part-time. I have to say if it is always this exciting there…" She smiled. She had a pretty smile, I thought, and then blinked mentally.

Trying to cover my reaction, I grinned and asked in return, "Too much excitement?"

Hitomi put her hands on her hips indignantly. "You wish. I've seen worse."

Well, what do you know? She certainly is a quick-witted one, I mused, feeling instantly warming up to the other girl. Maybe the time separated from my mother wouldn't be so lonely after all as I had first thought. "Should we head back then," I asked and extended my arm in mock-curtsey. I was really surprised when she took the cue and linked her arm through mine, giving me a winning smile. I'm not exactly sure what is going on, I mused, but I won't complain. It seemed I had just made a friend without really trying. And I certainly wouldn't complain about that.

 

******************************

 

(Sasami)

I hadn't been able to rest much. Not because I was too excited from the recent events. In fact I felt much calmer right now than I had ever before. A bit older, more mature. No, that wasn't it. The simple truth was that the fatigue from the battle had vanished shortly after the barrier dropped and the essential connection between Tsunami and I was reestablished.

It was nice to know how much you were appreciated and how much everyone cared. They had all been so worried about me when I had been caught in Tokimi's trap. Not just Rei, but everyone. I had always craved other's attention but I rarely ever saw me as all that important. Especially after the incident in the Tree Chamber. I had learnt to better understand what happened there but in the back of my mind there had always been the lurking doubt about my self-worth. Tokimi's words had cut deep into that old wound and almost managed to become fatal. But then I had remembered Rei and how much she needed me around. It wasn't a selfish thought, just a realization. We both had begun to depend on each other a lot in the last months since we first met. What we had was just as much a symbiotic relationship as Tsunami and I had. And that realization in the end had served me to find new courage within myself to withstand Tokimi.

I stopped my slow stroll through the mostly untouched back of the yard, behind the buildings, when I felt Rei behind me. Kagome and Sango were sitting in our place, so to say, and they had looked so content that I didn't wish to interrupt. I had been expecting a different reaction though, not quite as forceful and direct as being wrapped up in a tight embrace and pulled back against the taller frame of the older miko. Not that I complained. Hardly that. The closeness was definitely nice but it also had something desperate that I had not much trouble to understand.

"Don't ever do that again," Rei whispered, her voice trembling. I didn't need her to continue to know that she was certainly not just referring to me already wandering around after being close to death just a few hours ago. It was more the close to death part that was of importance. "I don't care who or what you are and what secrets you are keeping from me. But, don't ever scare me like that again. I don't know what I would do if you left…"

I didn't reply immediately, relishing in the feel of the other girl's close presence and the reassurance both of us were able to draw from it. I could very well sympathize with her feelings. When I told her yesterday that I was going to put them all into danger, it had held true. However, I had not expected something like that to happen. Tsunami hadn't sensed her sibling behind this either and was still quite miffed about the incident. Actually she had been worried to death, distracted by her own battle with Kusumi's ship she had felt our bond temporally break but had been unable to do something about it. It had been frustrating I could tell.

But I knew now that the others would have insisted to fight for my sake even if I had told them what I knew, even if I had known what was really going to happen. It would have made hardly any difference. There would have been little they could have done against someone like Tokimi.

And yet they had still tried to protect me nonetheless. Because I was important to them, as their friend, and in Rei's case so much more. That was what friends and loved ones did after all for each other and, if anything, our group showed that there wasn't a need to know every little important detail about the other's past to develop trust and friendship.

Turning in the embrace I reached up to touch the older girl's face. "I don't want to leave either. I doubt either of us can at this point. We've come too far." I felt much more comfortable now with myself and in knowing Rei's feelings. I didn't need her to tell me, the last doubts had been extinguished during the recent event. There was no need for me to doubt her feelings anymore. Everything that was really important had been said or done already.

And so I didn't hesitate to lean my head on her shoulder and pressing my body closer against hers. There was a new harmony there. No hesitation anymore on either part. If anything, the experiences from earlier had made me see just how much I needed Rei, how much we needed each other.

"I can hardly believe it's only been roughly four months since we met." I knew what she meant. It felt like I had known the older girl much longer than that.

"We've been so awkward then," I replied wistfully. I could still remember it vividly, that first meeting. Neither Tsunami or I had ever experienced something remotely close to this before. Love on first sight. While I hadn't immediately wanted to acknowledge it, the truth was that it had been like that. Our meeting had been fated, that I was sure about.

I lifted my head to meet Rei's purple eyes and felt like drowning in so much open emotion directed at me. The love there was undeniable now and I felt like an idiot for not seeing it earlier. I had been scared, scared of rejection and so, even though I already admitted to myself that I loved Rei, I had been scared to be disappointed again. A foolish thought, I knew now. Rei was a good person. Compassionate and understanding if you just managed to see past her sometimes rough exterior.

I became gradually aware of one of Rei's hands softly stroking through my hair and was torn between the impulse to close my eyes or continue to meet this intense gaze. In the end the latter was too strong. I just couldn't avert my eyes.

There was so much to talk about, so many questions I was sure Rei had, but that seemed furthest from her mind right now. There was a quiet but unwavering determination there that made me shudder slightly. Rei leaned her forehead against mine. "That day, just before I met you, I wished for someone in my life to share my burden, someone that could show me love. Then you came and my wish was answered." Her other hand came around from my back to tilt my head upwards, making me meet her eyes again, and then began caressing my face. I stood mesmerized, patiently waiting for her to finish. To say what I expected, hoped, wanted to hear.

Nothing of the sort came, not immediately anyway, but I could easily forgive that since the exquisite feeling of Rei's lips ever so gently brushing against mine was telling enough. At first it was only soft and slow but quickly became deeper and more passionate. Where the kiss yesterday had been mostly promising, this was more, so much more. My eyes closed on their own accord as I wrapped my own arms around the older miko's waist. This was a confirmation. Not just a confirmation of Rei's feelings but also of my own, of the fact that she was the right one for me. That we were the right one's for each other. The harmony that surrounded us could not be challenged, nothing could touch us right now. No secrets, no revelations, no barriers. It was just us now. Everything else could come later.

*Tsunami,* I thought contently, assured now that nothing could ever change what we had right now. *Get us up." And as I distantly felt space warp around me, still too lost in the ocean of feelings, I knew that I found my place in this galaxy. The place where I truly belonged.

 

THE END

(to be totally resolved in the following epilogues though)

 

Phew, that last bit - mostly the battle - took me longer than I expected it to. The biggest problem was probably my tendency to be overcritical of my own work. I had been in one of these states where nothing totally seemed to please me from somewhere after the hot spring sequence onwards. And regardless of the fact that Ay set me straight and told me that it was all pretty much okay, there were still a lot of things I wanted to mention but never got to chance though. There are still the epilogues to resolve some stuff after all (and the Main arcs too) but still…

Okay, I stop to lament about my tendency for perfectionism when I am writing and get to the notes… ^_^

 

Okay, first of, regarding Hitomi (since I dealt with Mizuki in the beginning). I base what I know on my spare recollection of the anime. I did read some summaries before I got to writing her (reading the scripts I did have available was a little too time consuming). I admit I take the most liberties with her character and she might not be exactly how you remember her. Keep in mind though that all of the characters here are older and a few years have passed since canon events. I'll try to keep changes in reasonable dimensions though and/or explain the events leading to them properly at an appropriate point.

Another note for Mizuki. For all who actually played the game. I always thought there was only one ending but I think it depends on what characters you play/recruit/level up etc… I ran through it quickly before I came to the last two thirds introducing Mizuki and Hitomi again and the comment about the computer virus was from the alternate ending I suddenly got (compared to the usual one with Ryoko and Ayeka ending up fighting as usual) where Washu explained that she "accidentally" sent some computer virus into Kusumi's network but that could hardly have been the cause for her attack. The others are worried then what Kusumi will do if she gets home and discovers the virus… Just for those of you who are curious about these details.

If you ask about the Rain Trees (since Meg did when I posted the first sequence on the SiL list). I refer you once again to Volume 11. Casablanca Memory.

 

And that was that. For the main parts at least. The epilogues will resolve mostly around background issues, especially for Tenchi Muyo and Inuyasha since a lot of question have still been left open. Many because I wanted them to, some because they simply didn't fit in.

 

Since I'm starting university life in a couple of days (well, I START in about two weeks but oh well…) I'm not sure when I can get to writing again. So the epilogues, continuing SL's main arc or anything else writing-wise for that matter might have to wait. It all depends on how hectic things get. So bear with me, if you don't get anything to read from me again in the next few months. I'll try my best but can't give any promises.

 

Feedback as always is definitely welcome by the ever-hungry muse and author. You should know the drill by now.

 

Ja ne, yours

 

Matthias