InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Father's Love ❯ The Youngest Son ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Ten:
The Youngest Son

Inu Yasha didn’t know who he wanted to kill more at the moment; Sesshoumaru for keeping the secret of his other sibling from him, Kurama for more transgressions than he had the memory or inclination to recall at the moment, or Shippo for leaving the group to be with the infamous kitsune thief. He sat outside Kaede’s hut, stewing in his own rage as the others debated what should be done next. What was there to argue about? He bit down on his lip, as hard as he could without puncturing it, to keep from bursting in the door and yelling that they should just find Kurama and slay him already.

*They know what he’s done,* he thought, as he watched the sun lazily rise in the azure sky. *Shippo’s with that monster and they just sit there! I can’t believe how stupid humans are! They know what needs to be done, so stop yappin’ and lets do it!* The higher the sun rose as the others sat in the house, the more enraged he got. And there were no demons around for him to take out his aggression on. A few seconds passed and he grew so irate that he could no longer sit still. He arose and entered the hut as loudly as possible…

…Only to find the same scene that made him leave in anger. Kagome was still trying to convince the others that Kurama may have changed. Kaede was still sitting against the wall, listening intently to all sides, but quietly agreeing more with Kagome. Sango was still asking the others to consider all the crimes “the Ravager” had committed and consider him a potential threat. Miroku was still worried that Kurama’s real intentions maybe were to obtain the Shikon jewel shards for himself.

Inu Yasha knew the answer he would receive, having heard the gang argue over this for hours, but he asked anyway: “Are we gonna do something about Kurama, now?”

Every eye in the room looked at him, as if their collective glare could speak for them.

NO.

He sighed. “C’mon! He’s a thief, a murderer! He’s done this for years! Guys like that don’t change easily!”

“That’s exactly my point,” said Sango. “He may have changed, but I don’t think that’s likely. He could simply have been biding his time, waiting for something worthwhile to steal.”

“Or the right moment to steal it,” added Miroku. “There’s something about his suddenly asking you to come here that doesn’t seem right. It’s as though he knew what you were after all along.”

“But this isn’t the Kurama from your time!” Kagome argued. “It’s been about five hundred years between this era and mine! A lot can happen in that time.”

“Yes, time can certainly bring about great change,” Kaede replied. It took a surprising amount of will power to refrain from adding, *So, too, does having children.*

“Everyone deserves a second chance, Inu Yasha,” Kagome continued. “Kurama has been nothing but kind and helpful for as long as I’ve known him. Why can’t you just accept that?”

Inu Yasha had nearly reached his limit with that sentence. “Oh, sure, Kagome, we can give him a second chance. While we’re at it, let’s give Naraku the opportunity to make nice too! We can all have lunch together!” Before Kagome could utter one word in reply, he pressed on with his tirade. “Don’t you get it? This is clearly a hoax! He’s trying to get us to trust him so that he can make off with the Shikon shards when we’ve let our guard down! We CANNOT trust that guy! Kikyo trusted Naraku, and…”

He never finished the sentence. The memory was too painful to do so. He didn’t have to. His point was made. Melancholy and concern replaced anger as he spoke again. “I-I just don’t want you to get hurt, okay?”

He hoped that that was enough. That, at the very least, Kagome would proceed with caution from that point. He didn’t want a repeat of the events that occurred fifty years ago. He looked straight into the girl’s eyes, seeking a sign of acquiescence.

He instead found worry. “I think you’re being paranoid, Inu Yasha.”

That did it. Anger overcame him again as he spoke. “I can’t believe you! I’m trying to look out for you, and you tell me I’m paranoid?!” For once, he couldn’t think of anything to say, and just left before he did something he would regret. He could hear Kagome’s footfalls as she followed him out the door.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Inu Yasha found his voice again. “I’m going to do what you refuse to! I’m gonna find Kurama, figure out why he’s here, and end this one way or another!”

Before he could take a step towards the edge of the village he heard the familiar, dreaded command: “SIT!” He soon found himself face down in the dirt road. He expected it to come sooner. As soon as he found himself able, he arose, and continued down the road again.

“SIT!” Again he slammed into the ground, and again he picked himself up and dashed to the wilderness.

“SIT! SIT, SIT, SIT, SIT, SIT!” Now he was hurt. She was as determined to stop him as he was to stop Kurama from whatever it was he was planning. Did she trust Kurama so much that she felt the need to protect the thief from him? That thought gave him another reason to find him and finish this business. It took him longer to rise than the last time, but once he was on his feet he bounded out of the village. Inu Yasha kept going, running until Kagome could no longer be heard. Until her scent could no longer be detected. Until he was certain that she couldn’t follow him.

When the haze of ire had faded from his mind, the half-demon found himself in a forest, contemplating what Kagome had said. Five hundred years does give one the potential to change himself. It also gives one the chance to plan for something big and strengthen one’s resolve. There was a chance, though it seemed slim to him, that she was right. He looked around to see himself in an unfamiliar forest. It was too late to go back and admit she may be right.

He sniffed the air, trying to find Kurama or Shippo’s scent. “There’s only one way to find out if you’re right, Kagome,” he muttered, as though she could hear him from so far away. He walked forward, deeper into the forest. Whether Kurama had truly changed or if it was a front, Inu Yasha had to find out for himself.

And respond accordingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the village, Kagome looked out past the edge of the village, thinking that perhaps he’d turn back and admit that there was at least a chance he was wrong. Hours passed. Hope turned into desperation, then despondence, then anger. At last, she returned to the hut, grabbed her things, and turned to her friends.

“We need to find Kurama,” she said at last.

“How come?” asked Miroku.

“Because,” she answered, “That’s where we’ll find Inu Yasha.”

~~TBC...~~

I would like to thank my dear fiance for writing this chapter for me. He's a dear for putting up with all my requests for help. Eventually, if he has to write anything else, I'll just call this a cowrite.