InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Father's Love ❯ Concerned Friends ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Eleven:
Concerned Friends

~~Modern Era~~

“Where is he?” muttered a young man in blue jeans and a white t-shirt. His hair was slicked back with gel, and his brown eyes watched the people around him carefully. He appeared to be a normal high school senior, but the set of his shoulders and the hardness of his eyes told a story of a difficult, battle filled life. He took a sip of his soda, waiting somewhat patiently.

“Hey, Urameshi!”

The boy raised his eyes, lighting them on another high school aged boy. This one had vibrant orange hair and dark brown, narrow eyes. He strode over to the bench the other was sitting on, blue jeans scraping against the wood as he sat down. Although this one’s eyes were bright and cheerful, the set of his jaw told a story somewhat similar to the first.

“Kuwabara.”

The boy, now identified as Kuwabara, looked around, a confused expression on his face. “Where’s Kurama? He’s always here before me.” Kuwabara turned to the other boy. “In fact, he’s usually here before you too, Yusuke.”

“Yeah, he is,” agreed Yusuke. “It’s gotten me worried.”

“If you still had that cool compass of yours, we could find him no problem.”

“Yeah, but Rando destroyed it, remember?”

“Yeah.” Kuwabara sat and watched the people walk by for a few moments. “You don’t think he’s gotten in trouble, do you?”

“I don’t know.” Yusuke took another sip of his soda, watching the crowd with the attention of a war vet freshly returned from combat. “I called Botan.”

“Botan? You think she can help us?”

Yusuke shrugged. “It’s worth a shot. She has access to pretty much anything she wants, you know.” He was silent a moment. “You haven’t seen Hiei around, have you?”

Kuwabara frowned in disgust. “Why would I have seen that shrimp anywhere?”

“Have you?”

Kuwabara sighed and thought for a moment. “Come to think of it, I haven’t seen Shorty around either. Why?”

“I haven’t either.” Yusuke glanced at Kuwabara out the corner of his eye. “You don’t think those two are having… marital difficulties, do you?”

“You’re… kidding me, right?” Kuwabara deadpanned.

“What?”

“Kurama and Hiei? They aren’t you and Keiko, ya know. Those two are as stable as Fuji-san.”

“Actually, Kuwabara, Fujiyama is quite unstable. Kurama and Hiei have lasted longer than the Japanese monarchy, in fact.”

“Hey, Botan!” cheered Yusuke, putting his soda down.

“Hello, Yusuke. How’re things?” A young girl with long light blue hair swept up in a high ponytail wearing a pink blouse and blue jeans seemingly popped out of nowhere. In stark contrast to the others, she was cherry and carefree, belying her true purpose: Ferrywoman of the Sanzu River.

“Cut to the chase, Botan. Do you know where Kurama and Hiei are?” asked Yusuke.

“Actually, I have some news for you before I tell you that. King Yama has decided to instate a new Spirit Detective.” She turned to Kuwabara. “That would be you, Kuwabara.”

“Me? Spirit Detective? Really?” Kuwabara asked hopefully.

Botan nodded. “Mmm-hmm. On paper, that is. Koenma decided that this would be the best way to get Yusuke back. Kuwabara is the official leader, but Yusuke here holds the real power.”

“Ha! You hear that, Kuwabara? I’m still in charge!”

“But I’m still the official leader!”

Botan sighed as the two boys continued arguing. “Thank Yama,” she muttered under her breath. “I hoped that would distract them. Now,” Botan pulled a wooden oar out of nowhere, “To visit Kurama.” She leapt up on the oar and took to the skies.

~~Warring States Era~~

Unaware of the events unfolding in Kaede’s home, Kurama and Honokitsu were searching for their meal.

“Kurama, I think there was a lake in that direction,” Honokitsu said, pointing to the north. “We could get some fish there.”

Kurama smiled down at him, thinking. “Yes, we could.”

“Can I get it? Kagome thought I always did a good job.”

Kurama thought for a long moment. Honokitsu did know where the lake was better than he did, and he was a capable fox demon. He could not protect Honokitsu forever, after all. “If you would like to, yes.”

Honokitsu laughed and darted off into the forest, still in Kurama’s demonic line of vision, but far away nonetheless. Kurama sighed, hoping he had done the right thing.

“Kurama?”

Kurama’s ears pricked, recognizing that voice. “Botan?” he asked, turning his head slightly to catch sight of a blue ponytail sail by as its owner placed herself between Honokitsu and himself. She was now clad in a pink kimono with long, voluminous sleeves and a white obi tied to resemble a peony flower. Her wide, pink eyes stared into his gold ones.

“Kurama, what are you doing here? Yusuke and Kuwabara are worried sick about you.”

Kurama lowered his eyes. “I had forgotten them. Please, give them my apologies when you see them next.”

“I don’t think that will do, Kurama. Yusuke was even wondering if you and Hiei were having a fight. You know Yusuke. Very rarely does he think about any relationship other than his with Keiko.”

“I know, Botan. I will try to make it up to them when I return.”

Botan sighed. “Oh, Kurama. Why did you come back here? You know you can’t tell Honokitsu the truth. He wouldn’t understand why you did it and all of your heartache would have been pointless. You’re only torturing yourself by doing this.”

“Botan, you’re not a parent. You don’t understand.”

Botan pursed her lips angrily. “Don’t you *dare* use that line with me, Yoko Kurama, son of the Inu no Taisho, Silver Rose of the Rose and Blade! You were a father for two years before giving him up! Your other children stayed with you no longer than it took to wean them! What do you know about being a parent?! Oh, I’m so angry at you I could slap you!”

Kurama nearly took a step back from Botan. The venom in her words cut directly into his heart. “I know,” he said, so quietly it forced Botan to move in closer on her oar in order to hear him. “I should not have said that. I dearly wish that there had been another way, I do.”

“Couldn’t you and Hiei return for him after you blinded Yomi?” Botan asked in a calmer tone.

“You know we couldn’t. Yomi was not the only consideration in our decision. How could we raise a child with the life Hiei and I led? I alone had more than ten names describing my thievery and wrath, and Hiei had more than that. And of course, there was the Zurui.”

Botan’s eyes widened as she covered her mouth. “Oh, that’s right. I forgot about them. The kitsune tribe that was at war with yours.”

Kurama looked over at Honokitsu, who had managed to catch one fish. “As far as Hiei and I know, the Zurui are not aware of Honokitsu or the others. I want it to remain that way. Now, Sesshoumaru-niisama has told me that they are up to something.”

“Still, this has to be so hard on you. How many have asked if you returned to take him back?”

“Only Koga, really. Hiei fully expects me grab Honokitsu and take off with him, and Sesshoumaru-niisama informed me that I should not have returned. Little Kaede has not said anything one way or the other.”

“You really should listen to Lord Sesshoumaru, you know. It took a lot of work for Koenma and me to wipe your files after you and Hiei stole those treasures without anyone realizing what had happened.”

Kurama smiled slightly. “You did not have to do that, you realize.”

Botan shrugged. “It was better that we did. No one needed to know about your past other than Koenma and myself, nor did we need news getting back to King Yama that the Silver Rose and the Bloody Blade had reunited. Besides, I owed Lady Kikyo a favor.”

“I still have not seen her.” Kurama was silent a long moment as he watched Honokitsu struggle with a second fish, unaware that his first catch had managed to return to the lake. “Inu Yasha knows now,” he said suddenly.

“I was afraid of that. How did he take it?”

“Not well, I’m afraid. I fully expect him to try to kill me. I’ve also been effectively expelled from journeying with the others. Sango, the demon slayer and Miroku, the monk do not trust me at all I feel. Honokitsu slipped away from them and has been with me since.”

“Sounds better than I expected.”

Kurama sighed. “I believe the only reason I am not already dead is because he was more surprised than angry while Sesshoumaru-niisama was around.”

“What will you do now?”

Kurama was silent again, as he watched Honokitsu attempt to retrieve the escapee and keep control of the second fish at the same time. Botan only sat on her oar, wide eyes watching Kurama’s face. At great length, he finally spoke. “I will remain with Honokitsu. If Kagome can convince the others that I am no threat, I will return to journey with them. Should Inu Yasha come in search of me… I will either have a brother, or I will die.” Botan shuddered at the note of finality in his voice. “It will be the least of what I deserve for everything I’ve done to my family.”

“You know most of it was your father’s wishes, right? You were never supposed to meet Lord Sesshoumaru, nor Master Inu Yasha. Your mother respected his wishes until he died.”

“I know.” Seeing Honokitsu tie the two fish together, Kurama turned his full attention to Botan. “He’s coming back, Botan. You should go back to our time and make my apologies to Yusuke and Kuwabara.”

Botan looked over her shoulder and saw Honokitsu. “Yes, I suppose I should. Oh!” She turned back to Kurama. “I forgot to tell you. Koenma has decided to make Kuwabara Spirit Detective, in order to get Yusuke back!”

Kurama smiled. It was the first smile Botan had seen from him the entire conversation. “I’m glad to hear that. Tell Yusuke and Kuwabara congratulations for me.”

Botan giggled, happy to see some life return to Kurama’s gold eyes. “I will, don’t worry about that. Unless they’ve killed each other, of course.” Botan took to the sky. “Bye, Kurama!”

Kurama watched her fade into the distance as Honokitsu ran up with the fish. “I got them, Kurama!”

Kurama smiled at Honokitsu, a slight sadness tainting it. “Good job, Little One. Have you ever cleaned a fish before?”

~~The Reikai~~

“Koenma?” Botan knocked on the door to Koenma’s office. “Koenma sir, are you in there?”

“Come in, Botan.” The door slid open, allowing Botan admittance, revealing a person who could only be described as a toddler sitting behind a desk. A “Jr” was embossed on his hat. “How is he?” he asked without preamble, speaking clearly around his pacifier. As she sat on his desk, Koenma pressed a button. “Ogre, hold my calls.”

“Yes, Koenma sir,” a voice responded from a speaker.

Botan sighed and wrapped her arms around herself. “He’s more depressed than I’ve ever seen him, Koenma. His eyes are as dead as Lady Kikyo’s. I don’t think he can live with his guilt much longer.” She looked at Koenma sadly. “Did we do the right thing, forbidding Lady Kikyo from telling Inu Yasha when she found out?”

“We did all we could, Botan-chan. We made an agreement with the Inu no Taisho to protect his line, and we have to honor that. It’s why we never sent any Spirit Detectives after any kitsune or dog demons. You remember I punished the bounty hunter that attacked Kurama very harshly.”

“I still say you and I should have defied Yama-sama and taken their children in when Lady Kikyo asked us to help them.”

Koenma sighed and transformed into a tall teenager, still with the pacifier in his mouth and the “Jr” was now on his forehead, since he no longer had a hat. He stood up from behind his desk and walked around to face Botan. “You know we couldn’t do that. Father would have disinherited me the minute he found out.” He took her hand, his light brown eyes gazed into hers. “You know I would have gladly raised them with you if we could, Botan-chan.”

“You should have done it anyway,” she protested, closing her eyes. “And he couldn’t disinherit you. You’re his only son and the Reikai needs an heir.”

Koenma sighed and gathered Botan into his arms. “I know I should have, dear. I know.”

“If something doesn’t change soon, I’ll be guiding Kurama and Hiei across the River, and I honestly don’t think I can do it.” Botan buried her face into the blue fabric of Koenma’s shirt and kept her eyes tightly shut. “Kurama’s lived with this pain for so long, I don’t know if he remembers how to be happy. I’ve never seen genuine joy in his eyes when he’s not with Yusuke or Hiei.” A single tear escaped the tight seal of her eyes.

Koenma smiled gently. “Listening to Hiei and Kuwabara bicker like children makes him feel like a parent again, I think.”

“We should help him, Koenma. I think his father would want us to.”

Koenma nodded. “Then we need to think of a way to do so.”

~~TBC...~~

Glossary:
Fuji-san, Fujiyama: Mount Fuji
Zurui: Clever

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~