InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hogosha Tantei ❯ Questions and Answers ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hogosha Tantei
 
 
Hello! Okay, we are finally at the fourth chapter. It took me awhile to get this the way I wanted it. I ended up driving some of my friends crazy for a couple of hours trying to get some thoughts together about Kurama and Kagome. I really hope that you enjoy this, cause if you don't I might be murdered by my friends. So please R/R.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho. Unfortunately all I own are some plushies and other things.
 
-`Thinking'-
-`Youko'-
# Suuichi #
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo
 
Recap from Chapter three:
The emotions that she had pushed aside now fought their way to the surface. “Why? Why did they have to die? Everyone I love seems to pay for my mistakes. The jewel was my responsibility, and because I messed up they suffered.” Her broken whispers were punctuated by her grief stricken sobs. Hearing the sounds of footsteps behind her, she refused to turn around until she heard a male voice.
“Kagome?”
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo
 
Chapter Four: Questions and Answers
 
Trying to calm herself enough to turn around, she caught the scent of roses. -`Roses?'-
“Kurama? What are you doing out here?”
“Kagome, you should be more alert. What if I had been another demon?” Kurama chastised her gently.
“Yeah, and how many demons are there that smell like roses?”
“Point taken. Would you mind if I sat down next to you?”
Sighing she patted the ground beside her. Shifting her weight she leaned against the trunk of the Goshinboku. Looking up she stared up at the stars as she felt Kurama settle next to her. Together they sat in silence, allowing the serenity of the tree to wash over them. Sighing deeply, she went to brush away a stray tear that had fallen, as the wind began to rustle the leaves above. Lowering her head so that her face was covered in shadows, she broke the silence.
“We are alike aren't we?” Startled that she had spoken, Kurama looked at her with mild surprise in his eyes.
“Tell me, what is it like to have to live with another in your mind? To know that you will never be alone?”
Silence filled the empty courtyard as Kurama struggled to answer her questions.
“You don't really have to answer. I was just wondering what it would feel like. I guess because in a way I already know what it feels like. The souls within the Shikon no Tama are still conscious and they speak to me. They give me advice when I need it, and yell at me as well. While the jewel is in my possession the souls are at peace, and as such are able to speak to me as they do. It's because of this that the jewel has decided that I will always be its protector.
Lifting her head she closed her eyes as the breeze began to play with her hair. Allowing a gentle smile to grace her lips she looked to see Kurama staring at her quizzically. Laughing softly, she started to speak again.
“The jewel has been in my possession since I was born. The longest that it has ever been kept purified by one person. The souls hold no grudge against me for allowing the jewel to shatter. Now, that I am stronger as a miko than I was then, they are content. They hold such faith in my abilities. That's why I think that we are alike. We are both kept separate from everyone because of the very beings that we are. We are the same and yet different.” A warm hand gently squeezed hers and she looked up startled to the owner of the hand. Tilting her head in confusion she turned her gaze to the sky once more, as he began to speak.
“No one has ever asked me that question before. I needed to gather my thoughts before I could answer your question. I am the melding of the two souls that reside within one body. Suuichi is my human voice, while Youko is my kitsune voice. For the longest time growing up, I felt so distant from everyone my age. I couldn't bring myself to talk of the voices in my head to anyone.” Hearing movement he glanced up to see Kagome looking at him, with unshed tears glistening in her eyes. He was shocked, beyond words, when she wrapped her arms around him. Squeezing him gently she began to speak softly.
“It's so hard. You don't say anything because…because inside you're afraid. You don't want the ones you care about to look at you differently. You're damned no matter what you do or say.” Sighing lightly she continued. “I confuse myself sometimes. I hate this feeling, but at the same time I wouldn't change it. To change it would change me. I'm happy being me…even if it means that I'll never be the same as my brothers or son. Confusing ne?” Moving back slightly to see his face, she was surprised to see him smiling at her.
“It isn't confusing at all. It's our memories and experiences in life that make us who we are. Now, Kagome, may I ask you something?” In the process of moving back to lean against the tree she stopped. Getting a curious look on her on her face, she settled herself before replying.
“Sure. What is it?”
“How is it that you met Sesshomaru-sama?”
“Oh, well I met him because of Inuyasha. Did I explain how the jewel was shattered or even how I started going back there?” Seeing him shake his head, she took a deep breath and began to tell her tale.
[Insert story here cause I'm not.]
“About a year after I started going back, I found Sessho when he was injured. I brought him back to the group and I took care of him until he was healed. In the time that he was with us we became friends. When he left our group to return to his lands, we agreed to meet at least once a week. Some weeks we would meet more often than that. Then about a year after that, I was followed home by one of Naraku's incarnations. He grabbed hold of me just as I was jumping into the well, so he came through with me. He killed my okaa-san and jii-chan before I managed to kill him. My otouto Souta was hurt pretty bad; I was trying to figure out what I was going to do when Sessho showed up. He had come to check on me, to make sure that everything was going okay.” Pausing she tilted her head and tried to calm herself so that she could continue. Once again she felt him take hold of her hand, trying to offer her some small comfort.
-`You should be doing more than holding her hand Red!'-
-`Youko, now is not the time for that. She's still grieving for her family.'-
-`That wasn't what I meant. You should be hugging her or something. Anything with a little more body contact.'-
-`I don't want to make her uncomfortable. Talking about this to us brought up a lot of memories for her.'-
-`Read her aura. There is more guilt than grief there. She's feeling guilty about their deaths. She probably blames herself for what happened.'-
# What are you talking about? #
Youko mentally growled at the two before responding. -`It's simple. Naraku was after her. Instead of her dying, her family died instead. Does it make sense now?'-
-`We'll discuss this later.'-
Giving her hand another gentle squeeze, he looked to see that she had already composed herself and was ready to continue. Clearing her throat daintily, she began to speak again.
“After Sessho found us, he took us to his lands in Makai. When we reached his home, I refused treatment until Sessho found Yusuke. I figured that Yusuke would want to know that we were still alive at least. Sometime before I had explained to Sessho about my family, in particular Yusuke, and my otou-san. I don't assume that Yusuke explained to you about our otou-san?” Seeing him shake his head again, she allowed a brief flash of irritation to show in her eyes. Quickly masking it she continued. “Then I'll explain so that everything will make a little more sense. When I was five, my otou-san came to tell my mother that he needed to train me. He finally explained who and what he was to her. He told her that if anyone ever learned that I was his child, I would need to be able to defend myself. He also got around to telling her that I had an older brother. Every weekend, vacation and summer after that until, I was thirteen, was spent training. When I first started being trained, my otou-san made me swear that I wouldn't tell Yusuke about him. When I turned thirteen he, finally told me the entire truth. He told me about my heritage, and he also told me the truth behind my training. He had figured out that I carried the Shikon inside of me. If a youkai ever did find out my parentage, or my duty as guardian, I would become a target. He figured that Yusuke could take care of himself until he had finished my training. I made a blood vow that I wouldn't tell Yusuke the truth about our otou-san until he died.”
“What truth?”
“There's no such thing as an S-gene. Otou-san set things up to look that way, for our protection. I don't think that he ever expected it to actually be used. Everyone thought that Yusuke was a descendant that had a small amount of dormant youkai genes. No one thought of the possibility that he got the genes in a more direct manner. There was just never anything to suggest otherwise. When we were born, our youkai sides were sealed. Unfortunately, otou-san had to force open the seal on Yusuke. When he did that, it caused my seal to be broken as well. Thankfully, I was on the other side of the well, so no one was able to sense me. When I learned of what Enma ordered, I was forced to tell Koenma-sama about my relationship with Yusuke.”
She was startled into silence when she felt a hand cover her mouth. Glaring slightly at Kurama, she was slightly appeased when he removed it. Lifting an eyebrow in question, she was satisfied when she noticed a faint blush creep its way onto his face.
“I apologize for doing that. It was rude, but unfortunately I have another question. How is it that you knew Koenma back then? It seems to me that your brother withheld quite a bit of information from us.”
Unable to keep her gaze, she looked towards the ground a bittersweet smile on her face. Allowing the silence to remain undisturbed for a few moments she finally responded.
“Yusuke has kept a lot of secrets, most of them concerning me. Just as I've kept secrets about him and Sessho. We're a family, even if we're not all related by blood, our emotions tie us together.” Chuckling softly, she tilted her head up, towards the branches that were gently swaying in the breeze. “To answer your question, I met Koenma-sama about three years ago. Yusuke's little team was sent to bring me to Koenma-sama for a little chat. I'm not surprised that you don't remember. I was a bit different than I am now. Koenma-sama and I had a nice little chat regarding the jewel. Before our little meeting was over, he offered me a part-time job. I accepted, so for the past three years, I've been picking up missions. Mainly when you guys were unavailable.” Turning her gaze from the tree, she glanced to Kurama. Amusement sparkled brightly in his emerald eyes. A faint smile - `Wait a damn minute here! He's amused?! What the hell is there to be amused about? I don't get it? Is the idea of me working for Koenma that amusing or something?'- She was shaken out of her thoughts when she felt his gaze on her. Locking her gaze with his, she asked the question that was bothering her.
“What's so amusing?” If it was at all possible, the amusement in his eyes only seemed to grow. Waiting expectantly she was tempted to just strangle him. Then again, if she did that, he wouldn't be able to answer her question. Air is a requirement for coherent speech. Continuing to hold his gaze, she was relieved when he finally began to speak.
“You haven't informed your brothers of this job of yours, have you?” Shocked beyond belief, her eyes widened slightly before they narrowed in irritation. Her cerulean eyes seemed to gain more golden flecks, within their brilliant depths. Sighing, she resigned herself to responding to this irritating kitsune.
“No, I haven't told my brothers. That doesn't explain how you realized this.” She finished her statement with an accusing glance towards him. Annoyed beyond the realms of reason when he began to laugh lightly she was stunned by his answer.
“”Koenma is still alive. That in itself tells me that you haven't told them.” He answered, trying to restrain the laughter that seemed to irritate the girl. Normally, he wouldn't act like this, but there was something calming about her. Something that allowed you to just be yourself.
Sniffing indignantly she retorted, “My brothers are not that bad. I'll admit, they might have some anger management issues. That doesn't mean that they're going to kill Koenma-sama for offering me a job. Koenma-sama didn't even find out about my family, until Yusuke's seal broke. Otou-san said that I could trust Koenma-sama if I ever had the need to, so I did. I told him everything, about the seal, our father, everything. He's the one that decided that it would be best if I had as little contact with Yusuke as possible. At least until everything calmed down, he said that it would tempt fate, if people saw us together. We do share some physical similarities. One of us being hunted down was more than enough.”
Turning her gaze to the dirt below, she fought against the feelings of anger that had surfaced. Clenching her hands tightly into fists, she was drawn once more out of her thoughts.
“What is this seal that you keep mentioning, Kagome?” Hearing his soft voice, she snapped her head up to look at him sheepishly.
“I'm sorry, I keep jumping around topics tonight. The seal is something that was placed on us at birth. It was meant to completely suppress our youkai blood. That's why no one knew our parentage until Yusuke's seal was broken. When I was born, my otou-san linked our two seals together. Meaning that if one seal broke then the other would as well. Sort of like a defense mechanism. If the seals ever broke, we would know instantly, that the other was in trouble. We would also get to see the events that led to the breaking of it. Sessho is the one that kept me from running to go help Yusuke. When the seal started to break, I explained quickly what was happening. He forced me to stay in the feudal era until we could conceal my youkai blood again. Once I was able to, I went back home immediately.” Drawing her legs close to her body, she rested her chin on her knees before continuing. “I didn't see Yusuke again, until the day that my family died. Sessho went and brought Yusuke back to his lands. When Souta and I healed, we sat down to discuss what was going to happen. We decided that since Sessho already had a life built up in the Ningenkai, he would adopt us. We also decided that it would best to take his name as well. That's why my name is Taisho now. That night we did the blood bond. I said that we would always be a family no matter what. Of course, Yusuke and Sessho took awhile to accept each other to the point that they do now. It took a lot of yelling on my part to get that to happen. But back to what I was saying. We did the blood bond, and the next day they made Ryu my keeper. But you already know about Ryu don't you Kurama?”
Finishing her last sentence with a triumphant smirk, she nearly lost it when she saw his face.
-`Hmmm…Who knew that it was possible to surprise the great Youko Kurama. I'll need to do this again sometime. The look on his face is just priceless.'-
Composing his face, Kurama managed to ask. “How did you learn that they told me about your bodyguard?”
Shrugging nonchalantly, she answered in a bored tone. “Shippo left one of his mushrooms in the room before he left. He was listening in to your conversation the entire time. He told me what his uncles said, when I took him upstairs to bed.”
Shock filled his voice as Kurama began questioning her again. “Your son is able to do that at his age? Who taught him that trick? How much did he overhear?”
Unable to contain it any longer, her laughter filled the quiet courtyard. Kurama smiled at her reaction, content to hear her laughter. Catching her breath, she calmed enough to respond. “Ryu was the one that taught Shippo. Ryu is after all another kitsune. As to how much my son heard, he heard everything. Including the fact that you're my new keeper.” Amused she watched his eyes widen in shock. Sighing dramatically she began to speak. “It's okay really. I suppose that I can handle another kitsune. Besides, I like you. I'm able to hold a halfway intelligent conversation. But if you don't mind, I'd like to go inside and ask my dear brothers about their decisions.” Smiling her eyes took on a gleam of mischief. Hearing Kurama stand, she was also preparing to stand, when she noticed the hand in her face. Taking the hand, Kurama pulled her to her feet. Walking back to the house, she broke the silence between them. “Does Youko have a tail? What about ears?” Chuckling lightly at the eager tone of her voice, he answered. “Youko has both.” Noticing that her eyes had taken a slightly glazed look he continued. “One day soon, I'll show you his form.” Grinning happily, she took his hand and led him into the house. Reaching the living room where her brothers still sat waiting for her return, she cleared her throat. Their eyes snapping up to her and Kurama, she spoke in a light tone, her eyes flashing dangerously.
“So, when were you going to tell me that I needed a new bodyguard?”
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo
 
Okay, I finished it. This is the result of many hours of frustration. Next chapter, Kagome yells, brothers cower, and Souta and Ryu make an appearance. Until then Adios! SilverCrescentMiko
 
FYI:
Kitsune: Fox
Youkai: Demon
Otou-san: Father
Okaa-san: Mother
Jii-chan: Grandfather
Otouto: Little brother