InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Legends ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the song; I don't own the YYH or IY group
 
 
“I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar”
(The Smiths)
 
 
 
Legends
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories/ Text book reading
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Sarayashiki High School was considered to be a school where the education system truly worked. The students that attended to reach a goal of making a future; it was greatly appreciated place. The students that constantly ditched and ran for the door every chance they got found this place to be a prison of toture. One of these students sat on the right hand side of the classroom in the very back. His face was currently laying on his book with drool coming from his mouth. If you listened closely you could hear a light snore emitting from this student.
 
It was the last year for this one student, he surprisingly made it to his final year. He struggled through summer school; most of the struggling was getting out of his bed. Today was a day that he planned to skip; unfortunately, a girl that had caught his heart and caught him on the roof pushed him into class. It was supposed to be an exciting class; they were studying the legend of the tragic Miko. As soon as the teacher began to talk, his head hit the book and he fell asleep.
 
“Yusuke Urameshi! Wake up this instant!” The male teacher yelled as he picked the blow-horn off his desk. (This happened to me once)
 
The teacher's emerald eyes narrowed in frustration when the teen mumbled `no mommy.' With the blow-horn in hand, the teacher walked over to Yusuke's desk. The teacher nudged Yusuke once before he held the horn a few inches from his face. Counting to five the other students covered their ears, knowing the routine. The teacher sighed and pressed the button. One loud honk jerked Yusuke from his sleep and sent him flying backwards in his seat.
 
“Good to see you awake,” the teacher commented as he ran a hand through his auburn hair. Yusuke sat on the floor temporarily confused and deaf. The teacher turned around and mouthed a few words before he walked to the front of the room. Yusuke shook his head and sat in his seat again as his hearing came back.
 
“What the hell was that for Yasuo!” Yusuke angrily yelled, not bothering with respect. Yasuo rolled his eyes at the teens offensive behavior.
 
“I thought it was time to wake you, since you seemed to be calling for your mother,” Yasuo commented with a smirk. Yusuke would never admit it to anyone, but Yasuo was the only teacher that Yusuke held any respect for. Yasuo didn't take things to heart and he always managed to laugh at situations. Yusuke's cheeks were slightly red from embarrassment and anger as he mumbled a few vulgar words.
 
“Now, Yusuke, can you tell me what the Tragic Miko is about?” Yasuo questioned, the teacher did worry about the student. He always tried to teach Yusuke new things.
 
“It's about a chick that met a tragic end,” Yusuke sheepishly answered.
 
“Very good, but to be more specific please read the legend alone for the next hour.” Yasuo stated as he sat down behind his desk and continued to read. The students looked to the clock before they all moaned.
 
Yusuke glared at the teacher for a moment before he looked at the clock. There still was an hour of class left. Letting his brown eyes slide over to his left, he saw his only friend/rival reading the story. Yusuke snorted at the boy in the blue uniform. He was surprised that the carrot top could read. Yusuke glared at Kuwabara for actually studying. Looking everywhere but at the book for five minutes, he finally growled in aggravation. Flipping to the legend he began to read about the Miko that he dubbed `chick'.
 
The Shikon no Tama was a power to rival any youkai that crossed its path. It could grant a human's deepest desire, or could grant unimaginable strength to a youkai. It was forced into existence in a last attempt to stop the evil youkai that wished for power. It was placed in the care of Miko Kikyo who lost her life and love because of the Tama. It was burned with the Miko and appeared in the side of another young Miko who knew nothing of it.
 
Forced from her home the young Miko was attacked by a giant centipede youkai that bit the jewel from her side. The young Miko released the hanyou that once sought the jewel from the tree of ages in order to save her self and the jewel. The Inu hanyou, Inuyasha easily killed the youkai and then turned on the Miko. The young Miko resembled the Miko that once guarded the Tama. She resembled his lost love, the one who pinned him to the tree.
 
`Idiot fell for a girl that could fry his ass,' Yusuke thought with a snicker.
 
The young Miko shattered the Tama across Japan. She and the hanyou Inuyasha began a four-year search for the jewel shards. They met an orphaned Kitsune, a Houshi that had been cursed, and a Taijiya whose village was slaughtered by a foul youkai. As they traveled they, all became close companions that would die for each other. Their friendship was frowned upon because hanyous were hated, and youkai were feared. The young Miko cared for the Kitsune as her own and loved the hanyou much like her incarnation.
 
Their travels led them to find that a youkai by the name of Naraku was the one to cause the betrayal between Kikyo and Inuyasha. Vowing revenge the group collected the shards only to have them stolen by the resurrected Miko Kikyo. They collected more shards and soon continued their quest to destroy Naraku. He was the youkai that cursed the Houshi, killed the Taijiya's village, and took her brother as a puppet for his destructive acts.
 
On the day of the final battle with Naraku, he managed to kill the Taijiya's brother by removing the shard in his back. He then injured the Houshi to the point of death. The young Miko was about to destroy the being that carried Naraku's heart when he sent an attack at her. The Hanyou, Inuyasha took the attack and protected the Miko. The Miko's heart was torn as she watched the one she loved die. Turning her rage to the heart of the evil, she sent one last Hamaya and destroyed Naraku. She damned his soul to the deepest depths of hell.
 
She then healed the Taijiya and the Houshi of their wounds so they would live. Taking the Shikon no Tama from the bloodied ground, she connected it and wished upon it. She bound her soul to the Tama in an attempt to free the soul of the original Miko. She like the original Miko became a trapped soul within the Tama for all eternity.
 
`That sucks,' Yusuke thought as he turned the page.
 
It was said that Miko was freed by her Kitsune son and appeared in the village shrine. She lived within the village for three months, adjusting to daily life once more. She was said to have made an ally of the Lord of the Western Lands, Sesshoumaru. She then protected the Royal Crest from two youkai thieves. She had trapped the legendary thief Youko Kurama and his partner Kuronue within a barrier.
 
“What the hell?” Yusuke muttered. He then looked to his left to see Kuwabara looking at him with the same look of confusion. They both went back to their textbooks.
 
Youko Kurama was able to escape her barrier, leaving his partner behind. She had shot the other with a ya and injured him. When she came upon him, she took pity and helped him regain his health. The other thief known as Kuronue returned to with the Miko to her village. They stayed together for sevens months, neither leaving each other's side. The Miko grew to love the thief until one day his partner came to find him alive.
 
The Miko at this time learned that the souls of the Tama had not all been released. The darkened souls of the Tama were growing more powerful. Her dead love came back to her in a dream and told her to seek out and use Amenonuhoko. The heavenly spear would separate they souls from her body, thus allowing her to purify them. She left Kuronue in her village with Youko and traveled to Yomi. When she left, Kuronue left with Youko on one last thieving.
 
The Miko arrived at Yomi and entered the gates. She traveled and met Izanami who questioned her. She soon faced Kuronue's soul. She accused Izanami of playing tricks, but the soul admitted that it was truly him. Izanami gave Amenonuhoko to the Miko. The Miko then found out that Youko had been the cause of his death. She vowed blood for blood before she ran out leaving her love in the darkness. In her rage she attacked Youko. Saying farewell to loved ones she let the darkened souls power her rage.
 
Using Amenonuhoko, she forged another realm in whick all youkai where banished into. She called this realm the Makai. Youko attacked her back and caused four gashes across her chest. Using the blood from her gashes she created the plants and the realm of Makai. She said `made from blood, they will always crave blood.' Using her power, she pushed the spear to Yomi. She destroyed Yomi and created a place where spirits could go and have a chance to be reincarnated. The Miko then cursed Youko to die doing the thing he loved most.
 
The Miko began to fade from the world. No one truly knows what happened to her. It was said that the gods banished her into the Tama for all eternity for her crimes. The Tama and her vanished as did Amenonuhoko. It was rumored that she destroyed herself by using all her power in attempt to create the realms and seal youkai away. Many believe that the Miko created the realms in her rage, knowing what she was doing. She was said to have made Reikai for her lost love and the Makai in order to to protect her loved ones and rid the world of Youko.
 
`That's some deep shit,' Yusuke thought as the tale made him shiver. He flipped to the back of his book and looked up the Shikon no Tama. He then began to read about that tale, fully understanding why the Miko did what she did. He jumped when the bell chimed; he was engrossed in the tale notice the other students leaving.
 
“No homework,” Yasuo yelled.
 
Yusuke looked up to see Kuwabara walking over to him. Picking up the textbook they both regarded each other silently.
 
“I got that creepy feeling again,” Kuwabara muttered so Yasuo wouldn't hear them.
 
“That mentioned Kurama…no other legends mentioned Kurama before,” Yusuke pointed out.
 
“I know, do you think we should report this to Koenma?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“Yeah, I didn't know this story was in here before,” Yusuke muttered.
 
“Leaving so soon?” Yasuo joked.
 
“See ya,” Yusuke muttered with a wave of the hand.
 
“Remember that there is truth to every tale,” Yasuo said as they left, his emerald eyes sparkled in amusement.
 
They both left with confusion evident in their eyes. Another teacher slipped into the room and leaned against the wall. Her red eyes landed on Yasuo as he turned around to face her. He smiled her and she merely smirked, letting her short black hair cover her eyes. Taking the hair band from her wrist, she pulled her hair up back into a short ponytail that reached the end of her neck. Placing three small feathers in her ponytail, she crossed her arms against her chest.
 
“Did you do your job?” She coolly asked.
 
“Of course Gura, did you do yours?” Yasuo calmly questioned, even though the excitement leaked through.
 
“Of course, I merely played a substitute for the Kitsune's class. Meiou High is a lot nicer then this place,” Gura commented.
 
“Did you see his reaction?” Yasuo commented, ignoring her comment.
 
“His eyes widened and then he kept everything hidden,” Gura explained.
 
“Good, it's only a matter of time now,” Yasuo muttered with hope.
 
“If she returns as vengeful as ever…then what?” Gura asked.
 
“Then I'll follow her to hell,” Yasuo answered through narrow eyes. `I lost her twice, and I won't lose her again.'
 
“Did you talk to the old one?” Gura questioned.
 
“No, Agou approached her and told her of who she descended from and that she owed him a favor. She will play her role without much care,” Yasuo explained.
 
 
 
Yusuke stretched as soon as he reached the last step of his school. The day was over and he was finally free. Scratching his chest, his green uniform reflected the light from the sun. He looked over to see Kuwabara yawning. Smacking Kuwabara over the head, he earned a glare.
 
“What was that for?” Kuwabara shouted.
 
“For being stupid,” Yusuke muttered.
 
“If I'm so stupid then why did the university accept me?” Kuwabara smugly asked.
 
“Because they were desperate,” Yusuke replied with a smirk before he started to walk. Instead of turning into the nearest ally, Yusuke continued to walk until they boarded a bus.
 
“I thought we had to see the baby.” Kuwabara questioned.
 
“I left my communicator at Genkai's,” Yusuke sheepishly said.
 
“Nice,” Kuwabara dryly said as he turned his brown gaze to the passing buildings.
 
They remained silent through the trip to Genkai's temple. Kuwabara kept wondering about the young Miko and Youko. It was strange that there had been a legend like that in the textbook. Normally Koenma made sure to keep the names out of the public. Sighing he watched as the bus they traveled on headed for the temple. The buildings became trees and he sighed again, he was a city boy to the core. He didn't like being in the forest. With a slight screech, the bus came to a stop and they got off.
 
“I hate stairs,” Yusuke muttered.
 
“We could use the exercise,” Kuwabara mumbled to Yusuke. They hadn't been working that much, Reikai was quiet, and Makai hadn't caused any trouble.
 
“Just because I need it, doesn't mean I have to like it,” Yusuke pointed out as they began to walk. Bending over to catch their breath, they noticed a small tornado leave the grounds. Kuwabara frowned as he looked from the tornado to Yusuke.
 
“I sensed a very powerful youkai,” Kuwabara confirmed Yusuke's suspicion.
 
“Let's go check the old woman,” Yusuke stated as they ran inside.
 
 
 
The old woman sat in her tearoom, calmly sipping on her china. She had long since sensed the youki that was headed her way. It had been fifty years since she last seen the youkai that offered her proof that he knew her ancestors. He had explained to her fifty years ago that a Miko saved her ancestor Rin many times from youkai. He never mentioned the Miko's name, only that a debt was to be repaid. He had done Genkai many favors by telling her where she received her psychic powers. Rin had been trained as a Taijiya.
 
The girl was also Sesshoumaru's charge; he protected her and treated her as a daughter. The youkai explained that the Tama holding this Miko prisoner reappeared when Rin was in deep meditation with the Houshi Miroku. There was a strange ki to it and before the Houshi could stop her, she reached out and grasped it. She was then thrown into a world of darkness. She had explained that she had saw Kagome, and Kagome had gifted her.
 
From that day on, any person having Rin's blood had displayed extraordinary power. Rin had claimed that Kagome had granted her deepest wish, to be like the Miko. The youkai had then shown her proof of this story by placing the Shikon no Tama in her hand. Genkai had then taken the Tama, and as if being there herself, she saw what he told. The ki radiating from the Tama quickly ceased, but she felt a purity of Miko ki. She was convinced that this youkai spoke the truth.
 
“Are you willing to repay your ancestors debt?” The youkai asked as he stepped into the room. His long black hair was held in a high ponytail that reached his lower back. Her tiger brown eyes clashed with his dirt brown eyes.
 
“Depending on what you what me to do,” Genkai replied.
 
“Remember the Shikon no Tama I passed to you fifty years ago?” He asked.
 
“Yes Agou, I do remember,” Genkai calmly assured.
 
“I need you to let your student take it to spirit world,” Agou stated.
 
“Why?” She calmly asked.
 
“The only person that can bring back the Miko is Koenma,” Agou explained.
 
“Why now, why bring her back?” Genkai suspiciously answered.
 
“Here family wants her back, and she is needed,” Agou snapped trying to remain calm.
 
“Very well,” Genkai reluctantly agreed. “The Reikai prince will not be harmed.”
 
“I assure you no harm to the prince,” Agou confirmed. “Don't tell your student of the Shikon, let him find it.”
 
 
 
 
Author's Note:
I don't know what pairing I want this to be yet…
I haven't decided whether to place this as Kuronue and Kagome, or Youko and Kagome. The pairing could go either way depending on how everything is played out.