InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Freedom ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I am the son and the heir
Of nothing in particular”
(The Smiths)
 
 
 
Freedom
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories/ flashbacks
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
500 Hundred Years Ago
 
 
 
It was beautiful. She sat alone in the darkness with only the hitodama to give her light. She ran a pale hand through her pale black hair. It had been to long since she had seen the sun and felt the caress of the wind. It was coming, the heavenly spear that had been released from its prison in Yomi, was descending. The goddess of death smirked as she prepared her self for the freedom she was about to receive. Izanami opened her pale eyes as she turned her head to the right. The hitodama had scattered along with the souls.
 
“Finally…freedom,” she whispered with a hunger.
 
The spear came crashing through Yomi. It pierced the ground with its sharpened tip as it pulsed. Izanami pushed herself from the throne and slowly walked towards the spear. It pulsed once more and she gasped as she felt her soul beg for freedom. The hitodama began to vanish. She looked behind her and saw that the one soul the Miko had called Kuronue was still standing in the shadows.
 
“This land is being free, do you wish to remain in the shadows?” Izanami questioned.
 
“I merely wait,” Kuronue vaguely replied. Izanami turned her gaze back to the spear and watched as the blade pulsed red. A red mist came from the spear before it continued to pulse gold. Izanami walked over and watched as the mist took the form of a red toddler with black hair. She picked the toddler up and rocked him.
 
“He has a strong ki, he will be a great ruler,” Izanami whispered as she looked at the toddler.
 
“It seems that Kagome created a ruler for the next realm,” Kuronue commented before he watched them both vanish.
 
“When he grows up, Enma will be a powerful ruler,” Izanami's spirit confirmed as they vanished.
 
 
 
 
Yusuke had allowed his brown gaze to scan the shrine grounds for any damage. When he had found none he rushed into the room Genkai occupied. Genkai raised a graying pink eyebrow at his rude intrusion before she sipped her tea. Kuwabara soon followed as he tried to sense any more youkai. Yusuke stuffed his hands into his pockets and walked over to her. Her eyes were closed and she was sipping the tea as if nothing had happened.
 
“I sensed a youkai and saw something leave,” Yusuke stated.
 
“Good afternoon to you too,” Genkai mumbled as she set her teacup down.
 
“Did you sense any youkai?” Kuwabara asked with a bit more calm and politeness.
 
“No,” Genkai calmly answered.
 
“So you'll answer him but not your own student?” Yusuke growled.
 
“Dimwit, the other dimwit asked nicely,” Genkai smugly said.
 
“Whatever,” Yusuke mumbled.
 
“I know you aren't here to train, so why are you two here?” Genkai asked. Kuwabara sat down and Yusuke followed suit.
 
“We were wondering if you knew anything about the Shikon no Tama?” Yusuke asked. Genkai raised another eyebrow at this turn of events.
 
“What would you like to know?” Genkai asked.
 
“What happened to the Miko?” Yusuke quickly asked. Genkai sighed as she picked up her teacup and traced the rim with her thumbs.
 
“I never truly found out…but you can find your answers in the box,” Genkai answered as she motioned to the small jewelry box in front of her. Kuwabara reached forward and brushed the oak lid with his fingertips. He quickly pulled them away and frowned.
 
“What's in it?” Yusuke asked, not liking his friend's reaction.
 
“Don't know…a friend gave it to me a while back,” Genkai muttered. Yusuke's face turned red.
 
“Don't know? Why the hell don't you know?” Yusuke yelled in annoyance.
 
“Can't open it,” Genkai annoyingly answered.
 
“And this will help how?” Yusuke dryly asked.
 
“I sense some weird energy,” Kuwabara muttered as he ran his fingers along the design. He traced the faded figure of a bat and noted that there was a scythe design for the lock. He ran his fingers over the lock and smirked when he heard a click. Yusuke was about to yell again, when he heard a click. Genkai's eyes widened when she realized that the stupider of the two opened it.
 
“How the hell…” Yusuke trailed off as he looked over the lid.
 
“Pretty,” Kuwabara mumbled.
 
They both stared at the dull pink orb. It was the size of a large marble. Even in its dull state, it radiated energy. Kuwabara frowned and Genkai noticed that the oaf was trying to focus on something.
 
“What's the matter?” Yusuke asked as he took out his communicator.
 
“It's a pure ki, but it isn't a living ki. The dead don't have ki…it's just existing,” Kuwabara mumbled. Yusuke nodded and flipped open the communicator. A cheery girl with sky blue hair and pink eyes appeared.
 
“Why, hello Yusuke,” the girl greeted.
 
“We need you to open a portal to Koenma's office,” Yusuke stated as he ignored her greeting.
 
“People don't know how to greet anymore,” Botan sighed.
 
“Botan,” Yusuke warningly growled.
 
“Right, right,” she mumbled as she opened a portal.
 
 
 
 
Suiichi stood at the bottom of Genkai's shrine and stared up the steps. He knew he could climb these with ease; it was just the point of climbing them. He had been shocked today and was not up to any activity. He had read his name in a human textbook today, which he knew shouldn't have even existed. Running a hand through his thick red hair, he let his emerald gaze land at the top of the steps. Turning his attention to the left side of the forest he frowned.
 
“Hiei,” Suiichi called out to the youkai.
 
“Hn,” was the response as the youkai appeared on his right side.
 
“What are you doing her?” Suiichi asked.
 
“I've come to see what has you riled,” Hiei simply answered. Truth was, he wanted to know about this Miko. He hadn't faced a strong opponent since the youkai tournament in Makai.
 
“My name is in a human text,” Suiichi answered. Hiei's eyes slightly widened, but the crimson color hid any signs of that.
 
“You mean…” Hiei trailed.
 
“Yes, my youkai name,” Suiichi finished.
 
“How did that happen?” Hiei asked with a smirk. Suiichi opened his mind and allowed the telepath to see what he read in his book. Hiei was slightly surprised to find that the fox was involved with the Shikon no Tama.
 
`Is it the same Tama Kichi and Rin guarded?' Hiei wondered. `Could it be the Tama that my two guardians worried about?'
 
Hiei still remembered the day he was fell into Ningen-kai and as a toddler. The two human had accepted him into the village. He had constantly heard stories of the Miko and watched plays of her. Hiei's eyes glazed over as he remembered the pained look the Kitsune would get in his emerald eyes when they mentioned her. He clearly remembered the Kitsune, known as Shippo weeping over the shrine made to her. He had explained that the Miko was his mother. Him and the Kitsune grew close, both knowing the lost of a mother.
 
He never found out how the Miko birthed a youkai. He was young and the village was attacked. He once again found his way back into Makai. Hiei now knew that the Miko adopted the Kitsune. It was strange back then and it was still strange. Hiei wanted to know what connection Kurama held to the Miko. If he held a connection to the Miko, there was a chance that Kitsune would know where Shippo was. He would just remain silent and hold his cards till the right time came.
 
“I want to find out how my name is in the book, and I figured I could get Yusuke to get Botan to open a portal,” Kurama explained.
 
“Hn,” Hiei muttered as his own thoughts raced.
 
They both traveled up the stairs and once they made it, they came upon Genkai. She closed a wooden box with a loud snap. Hiei's eyes widened at the box, Kurama took note that he seemed familiar with it. He then let his emerald gaze scan the box noticing it held a strange ki. Something about the ki felt so very familiar, it was like a name being mentioned. You know the name and dwell on it for days claiming you heard it somewhere only to forget about it.
 
 
 
 
“What's in the box Rin?” A small youkai asked. His red eyes sparkled in curiosity as he eyed the box. The young woman smiled as she unconsciously held the box tighter in her hands. She sighed and kneeled down to the child's eye level. She opened the box with ease and the child's eyes narrowed in dissatisfaction. All he saw was a dull pink orb. He snorted at the object.
 
“What's wrong Hiei?” Rin questioned.
 
“It's just a dumb jewel,” Hiei voiced in disappointment. Rin lightly laughed as she sat down and put the box holding the jewel between them.
 
“This `dumb jewel' is very special,” Rin began. Hiei raised an eyebrow, his curiosity slightly returning.
 
“How so?” He questioned as he sat and leaned forward.
 
“This is the Shikon no Tama, and a very special girl lives inside,” Rin explained.
 
“Is she tiny? How can she fit?” Hiei asked as he poked the jewel.
 
“She no longer has a body,” Rin laughed in mirth.
 
“No body? Is she dead?” Hiei asked.
 
“No, no, no…she can never die,” Rin softly said.
 
“Never…never ever?” Hiei asked as his eyes widened in shock.
 
“She can't die, because she is not living and is not dead,” Rin began, trying to simplify it.
 
“Is she the undead?” Hiei questioned with a hint of disgust.
 
“No, she just exists,” Rin simply said.
 
“Can she come out and play with us?” Hiei asked.
 
“No, she must rest for a very long time,” Rin stressed.
 
“Aww,” Hiei pouted.
 
“One day she will come out a play,” Rin whispered with hope. Hiei brightened at this.
 
“Will she play with me?” Hiei asked. Rin tilted her head and smiled.
 
“Maybe…she will have to play with another first,” Rin stated as her eyes darkened.
 
“I hope she comes out soon,” Hiei said as he watched her close the box. Hiei heard a soft sigh and looked over to see Kichi standing in the doorway with her head leaning against the wood. She smiled and held her hand out. Hiei jumped up and ran over to her, taking her hand eagerly.
 
“She'll come out when someone gives her a lot of energy,” Kichi assured. Hiei merely tilted his head and nodded in understanding. In truth, he didn't know what she meant.
 
 
 
 
Genkai had looked over and invited the youkai in. Hiei stood in the doorway with his eyes glazed over. The red had dulled; this signaled he was lost in memory. Kurama took note of this and knew Hiei never got lost in thought. He looked over and followed his friend's gaze to where the box was. The box triggered the memory. Kurama left Hiei in the doorway and walked inside. He sat on a pillow and watched as Genkai took a seat. He figured that she didn't want guests when she didn't offer tea.
 
“What is it you want?” Genkai asked as her eyes dulled in boredom.
 
“I haven't seen Yusuke all day and wanted him to contact Botan,” Kurama directly said.
 
“What's wrong with your communicator?” Genkai asked.
 
“It broke when a youkai attacked me last week,” Kurama explained. His pride still injured. He never sensed the youkai coming; he was distracted in his thoughts.
 
“Dimwit already left to Reikai,” Genkai said as she stood up and left. Hiei snapped out of his memories when he heard this.
 
“Why were you in possession of the Shikon no Tama?” Hiei softly demanded.
 
“How do you know of that?” Genkai sharply asked.
 
`How does he know of it?' Kurama wondered as he looked at the fire apparition.
 
Hiei took his Katana from his hip and held it front of him. He slowly undid the leather binding on the handle. Genkai raised a graying pink eyebrow in wonder as he undid the binding. Kurama's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, he remembered the time that Hiei's Katana broke. Hiei had simply left the metal on the ground and took the handle. He had always thought that it was simply out of some weird respect. Kurama looked closer and saw that it was the same handle as before.
 
Hiei slide the leather down an inch once it was loose enough. Kurama didn't see anything at first. It appeared as if there was a chip in the handle of the Katana. He tossed the katana to Genkai and she caught it effortlessly. She studied the handle and her eyes widened in slight surprise. She had known Hiei was old, but she never guessed he was that old. She ran her fingers over the engraving; it was the petals of a Sakura blossom outlined in pink.
 
“This is a special symbol…how did you receive it?” Genkai questioned as she tossed the katana back.
 
“The original katana was given to be by Rin,” Hiei explained.
 
“She had Sesshoumaru make the sword,” Genkai stated more then asked.
 
“How do you know?” Hiei questioned in suspicion.
 
“I'm an ancestor,” Genkai quickly said.
 
“Her ancestors have shrank over the years,” Hiei muttered as he wrapped the handle. Genkai glared at him before she looked over at the confused Kitsune.
 
“Rin used the ya that the Miko had given her to make some of that handle. That mark only appears on…”
 
“I know,” Hiei interrupted. Too much was being said in his opinion.
 
“What Miko?” Kurama asked with a feeling of dread.
 
“None of your concern,” Genkai brushed him off.
 
“That mark gives you certain…advantages,” Genkai stated. Hiei nodded, he knew he was protected from some Mikos and some Houshi. They're few Houshi and Mikos that tried to destroy him for having such a holy mark bestowed upon him.
 
“What mark?” Kurama asked. His patience was thinning very quickly.
 
“The mark of those close to the gods,” Genkai answered. Genkai watched as Kurama's eyes widened in realization as he remembered the box. That box was familiar because that was Kuronue's box. Kuronue had stolen the box on his first raid with Youko. He had given that box to Kagome; Kurama remembered watching the exchange from the shadows. He remembered the awed look in her eyes over a simple gift. Kagome had embraced Kuronue that day and held him close. It was the first time Youko had witnessed his friend truly smile in happiness.
 
“Where is the Shikon no Tama now?” Kurama asked.
 
“It is on its way to Reikai,” Genkai answered.
 
“Yusuke,” Kurama mumbled
 
 
“She'll come out when someone gives her a lot of energy,” Kichi assured.
 
 
Hiei laughed as he turned around and walked out the door. He left a stunned Genkai and Kurama in the room. He now understood what she meant all those years ago. He gripped the handle of his katana and smirked.
 
“Time to play,” he whispered as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out what looked like a compact. He opened it up and immediately saw Botan on it.
 
“Open a portal to Reikai,” Hiei said as he closed it. He could break through the barrier like the other times, but he didn't want to hear the toddler complain. He just wanted to watch the show. As he stepped through the portal, he felt Kurama come through with him.
 
 
 
 
Yusuke pushed open the doors to the Reikai prince's office. He watched as papers scattered from the force of the door. He grinned and turned to find the toddler sitting at his desk with his face turning pure red.
 
“Damn it! Don't you ever knock!?” Koenma exploded as his pacifier landed on the desk.
 
Kuwabara shook his head as Yusuke knocked on the door and walked through. Koenma slapped himself in the center of his face as he counted to ten. He opened his eyes and stuck his pacifier back in his mouth. His brown eyes glared at Yusuke as he sat in front of his desk. Yusuke opened his book to the legend and threw it on Koenma's desk. He effectively scattered more papers.
 
“I thought you kept Makai and Ningen-kai separate,” Yusuke said as he leaned back with a smug look on his face. Koenma glared at the spirit detective before he noticed Youko Kurama's name in the book. His pacifier fell to the floor in shock.
 
“Where did you get this?” Koenma seriously demanded.
 
“School,” Yusuke said as if it was the most obvious answer.
 
“You actually go?” Koenma questioned. Yusuke glared and Kuwabara snickered.
 
“Well…” Yusuke expectantly said as he motioned to the book.
 
“GEORGE!” Koenma yelled, scattering more papers.
 
“Yes Koenma sir?” The blue oni questioned as he ran into the office. Koenma threw the book and smacked the oni in the dead center of his face with the text.
 
“What is the meaning of this?” Koenma questioned.
 
“Ah…I don't know,” George supplied.
 
“How did this make it past the legends and lore department?” Koenma growled.
 
“The keeper of the legends, myths, and lore was sick so he called in a substitute,” George proudly answered.
 
“Sick,” Koenma eerily repeated.
 
“Yes,” George confirmed.
 
“Spirits…don't…get…SICK!” Koenma bellowed as he began to hyperventilate.
 
“I could send her up,” George offered, wanting the blame off his shoulders.
 
“Fine,” Koenma growled. George ran over to the phone and dialed a number.
 
“Can you send Sango to Koenma's office?” George asked. He paused and shook his head as the voice said something. He hung up after a `thanks'.
 
“Well?” Koenma asked as he raised an eyebrow.
 
“What do you want?” Sango questioned as she walked into the office.
 
Yusuke turned around to get a look at the spirit. He noticed Kuwabara step back and shiver. Yusuke noted the long onyx hair that reached her mid back. Her brown eyes glared with fire at the Reikai prince. Her stride was confident and she was dressed in a traditional kimono. The kimono appeared to be made of dark blue silk with silver phoenixes wrapping around her arm.
 
“Why were you filling in for the keeper of legends, myths and lore?” Koenma questioned.
 
“He got sick,” Sango answered.
 
“Spirits don't get sick,” Koenma stressed.
 
`They do with the right items,' Sango thought.
 
“He drank some bad tea,” Sango offered.
 
“I don't think you have the experience to fill in for that department,” Koenma voiced. Sango walked over to him and pinched his cheek. She leaned in close to his ear.
 
“I know his department as well as he knows mine,” Sango whispered. “Don't presume that since your prince, that you can order me around. I will always, quote me on this, always be older and stronger then you.”
 
“The brat may be a brat, but you can't threaten him,” Yusuke warned as he stood up. She turned around, looked up at him, and smirked.
 
“The boy who died and came back,” Sango observed. “You sound like a fairytale gone wrong.” She smirked at his stunned features and held her the back of her hand to him. He looked at the symbol that appeared painted on. The Sakura blossoms were a dark pink.
 
“So, you the flower girl of Reikai?” Yusuke shot back. She stepped away and shook her head. She slightly bowed her head and smirked.
 
“I am Sango, heiress to Takemikazuti,” Sango proudly said.
 
“Who the hell is that?” Yusuke questioned.
 
“The god of thunder, lightening, and war,” Koenma moaned.
 
“That doesn't mean anything to me,” Yusuke shot at her.
 
“It will in time,” Sango dangerously whispered. “Watch your loved ones.”
 
“Is that a threat?” Yusuke growled.
 
“A promise,” Sango casually said as she walked off. “And leave my husband alone Koenma…or else!”
 
“Yes Sango-sama,” Koenma muttered with distaste.
 
“Who's her husband?” Kuwabara asked after processing the argument.
 
“She is married to the Houshi Miroku, who's also the keeper of the department she covered,” Koenma explained.
 
“Houshi…is he the one from the legend?” Kuwabara asked as he remembered the legend of the Tama.
 
“Yes…why?” Koenma asked.
 
“Oh here,” Yusuke said as he reached into his pocket. Koenma watched as he took the dull pink orb from his pocket. Koenma held his hands open to catch the orb as it came towards him.
 
 
 
 
Author's Note:
I've gotten a lot of recommendations on what the coupling for Kagome should be. There's been more reviewers asking for just Kagome and Kuronue, and he will be back by chapter ten. Then I've had a couple ask for Kurama, Kagome, and Kuronue. I could go that route, but I don't want to for this story. Maybe for another Fic I have in mind. So I think I might make this strictly Kagome and Kuronue with some Kurama moments.