InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Shigunaru ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“And you leave on your own
And you go home, and you cry
And you want to die”
(The Smiths)
 
 
 
 
Shigunaru
(Signal)
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Kurama tensely watched as Kagome rolled the marble around her hand. She sighed and turned to look at him. Kurama offered her a weak smile and she nodded her head. He guessed that she was still in thought. Koenma had long since pushed his desk to the other side of the room. Kagome sat next to Kurama as she thought about what she was going to do. This would be the second youkai she brought back from the dead. Somehow, this one would different then trying to get Kagura's soul. Her eyes strayed to the floor and she felt a hand squeeze the hand that held the marble. Kagome looked up ay Kurama before she leaned over onto his shoulder.
 
“Do you think it's wrong to do this?” Kagome softly questioned.
 
“Why the doubt?” Kurama asked as he rubbed his thumb over her knuckles.
 
“I can't help but feel…afraid,” Kagome confided.
 
“Do you fear what that it might go wrong?” Kurama inquired.
 
“No…I fear that he will hate me…just like Kikyo hated Inuyasha…just like how Inuyasha hates me,” Kagome painfully said.
 
“I don't think he'd hate you,” Kurama assured with a sad smile.
 
“You don't understand…I left him in the dark, all alone in Yomi,” Kagome whispered as she remembered the event.
 
“If I don't hate you for the attempt on my life then I'm sure he won't hate you,” Kurama firmly said.
 
“You've changed,” Kagome noted with a stoic look. Kurama raised an eyebrow and watched as she sat up. “You've become kinder…more-”
 
“More human,” Kurama finished.
 
“Yeah, more human,” Kagome agreed.
 
“Being trapped in a human body and being raised by one will change anyone's outlook,” Kurama supplied.
 
“Maybe you're not more human, just a bit more compassionate,” Kagome stated as she stood up.
 
Kagome watched as a portal open and Yusuke stepped through followed by Kuwabara. He glared at her and she merely stared at him with a look of indifference. Yusuke took note all the office furniture moved. Kuwabara looked over at Kagome and gave her a discreet smile.
 
“Remolding?” Yusuke casually asked; it came out bitter.
 
“Yusuke, Kuwabara,” Koenma greeted.
 
Botan cleared some files of a two seats for Yusuke and Kuwabara. She smiled at them and they offered her small smiles. Kuwabara sat down content with just watching for now. Yusuke wanted to know what was going on.
 
“What's going on?” Yusuke bluntly asked.
 
“I'm fulfilling my end of the deal,” Koenma answered.
 
“You should be watching the world, things have been happening,” Yusuke growled.
 
“I'll take care of everything once this is finished,” Koenma calmly assured.
 
“Keiko's gone missing!” Yusuke shouted. He was pissed of being patient and waiting, he wanted something done. Botan tensed, she was a good friend to the girl.
 
“When did this happen?” Koenma demanded.
 
“Yesterday night,” Yusuke growled as he ran a hand through his hair.
 
`Inuyasha…was this your doing?' Kagome wondered as she stared off.
 
Yusuke turned away from Koenma and faced Kagome. Kagome was still ignoring everything. She didn't want to believe that Inuyasha would do this, kidnap an innocent girl. Her eyes narrowed, she knew someone was behind this.
 
“Was this your doing?” Yusuke coldly accused. Kagome looked to him and he tensed. He had never seen pity in the woman's eyes.
 
“I never hurt an innocent,” Kagome softly assured.
 
“You were the one that threatened them,” Yusuke reminded.
 
“Many of my threats against others are idol, I never involve the innocent,” Kagome once again assured. She pitied him.
 
I don't need your pity!” Yusuke yelled at her.
 
“I know, that's why I'm giving you my condolences,” Kagome sadly whispered.
 
“She isn't dead,” Yusuke firmly assured.
 
“Everyone says that at first,” Kagome whispered as she left to stand in the middle of the room. Yusuke glared at her and wanted to hate her for the words. Deep down, something told him that this wasn't a normal missing person.
 
“Yusuke, sit down and be quiet,” Koenma warned as he dragged the boy to a seat.
 
Kagome kneeled so she could sit with her back straight. She reached out and placed the marble beside her. Before she began anything, she took a calming breath to soothe her nerves. She then held her hands with out if front of her with the palms facing the floor. This was different then the time she brought Kagura back, she didn't have to search for a soul. Kagome closed her eyes and steadied her breathing to the ticking of the clock. Her body began to glow a faint powder blue as she concentrated.
 
She blanked her mind and erased all fears and doubts. Kagome imagined herself molding the body she wanted in front of her. Her power spread throughout the room and then circled around her. An unseen force made her hair float around her as she focused. It felt like thousands of hands were caressing her body as she focused the energy. The hands slide up her sides then down her arms to the floor. She commanded them as she forced them to work upon her creation. Kagome watched as the body began to form and she reached out to give her own energy.
 
She ran her fingers alongside his cheekbone down to his chin. Her fingers brushed against the raven black hair that lay sprawled on the floor like a shadow. Kagome then briefly touched his lips with her fingers with a look of calm sorrow. Her hand traveled from his face to his shoulder and finally rested on the leathery wing. She lovingly caressed the leather of his wing with her fingertips. Kagome feared that if she touched him too much that he would vanish.
 
“My Okinawa,” Kagome whispered as her eyes watered.
 
She had dreamed this so many times. In her dreams, she would be staying down at his body and he would open his eyes and reach out to her. Before she could take his hand, he would vanish from her view and she would wake up. A tear slid down her cheek and she realized that this was finally reality. The hands stopped molding his body and she pulled back. She opened her eyes and bright light flashed from her body and filled the room. Kagome stared down at the floor and smiled with a childlike glee. His body was in front of her and all it needed was a soul.
 
Kurama watched in awe as she began to radiate different emotions. Everything played across her face and she finally smiled before she opened her eyes. Kuwabara shivered from all the different ki working in the room and Yusuke was to shock to do anything. Kagome laid her hand across his closed eyes and smiled down. She reached beside her and picked up the marble. Her eyes stalked over to Koenma and nodded. She could create forms, but she could never do anything to a soul. Koenma reached out and touched the marble.
 
An indigo color filled the room and they watched as transparent image of the body float in the air. His eyes were still closed; his face was peaceful. Kagome and Koenma reached into the air and pulled the soul down to the ground. They pushed the soul back into the body and watched as the two merged into one being. The chest rose and Kagome truly smiled. She checked his pulse and could feel the faint beat becoming stronger with each beat. Kagome turned to Kurama and he grinned at her. She removed her hand from his eyes and met indigo colored eyes.
 
“Okinawa,” Kagome whispered. She watched as his eyes focused on her face and his eyebrows furrowed.
 
“I'm not a fruit bat,” Kuronue weakly said.
 
Kagome fell across him and buried her head in the croak of his neck. She tensed when he didn't respond right away. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she felt his arms wrap her in an embrace. He sat up and pulled her into his lap as he stretched his cramped wings. Hot tears hit his skin and he held her tighter as she cried. He buried his nose in her hair and held her as she cried. Kagome wiped her eyes and smiled up at him. He offered a grin and she tried to frown.
 
“Uh…Kagome,” Botan whispered.
 
Kagome looked over to the girl and noticed that Kurama was grinning. Koenma's face was red and he was looking away at the ceiling. Yusuke held his hand over his eyes and Kuwabara's face was red.
 
“What is it?” Kagome mouthed.
 
Kuronue leaned down and brushed his lips against her ear as he whispered, “I'm naked.”
 
Kagome's faced turned back to him and he noticed that she was red. She stared at the smirk and growled at him. Botan casually looked away as she buried her face in Koenma's shoulder. Kurama finally broke down and started chuckling. Kagome jumped out of his lap and stared down at him before her face shot into flames again.
 
“Close your legs you perverted Okinawa!” Kagome shouted as she covered her eyes. At this comment, Yusuke even started to laugh.
 
“You're the one that brought me back naked,” Kuronue slyly reminded.
 
“I'm sorry if I can't form clothes!” Kagome growled.
 
“You know you wanted to check me out,” Kuronue proudly said.
 
“There's nothing to see,” Kagome growled.
 
“So you were looking!” Kurama laughed as Kuronue scowled.
 
“Just when I thought you changed!” Kagome growled at Kurama.
 
“Don't be so shy,” Kuronue whispered into her ear.
 
Kagome screeched and ran halfway across the room. Kuronue bit his lip and grinned at her.
 
“Run Kagome, there's a sexually frustrated Okinawa after you!” Kurama teased.
 
“Oh Kami,” Kagome whispered as she invented a new shade of red.
 
Koenma finally sighed and tossed Kuronue a pair of black hakama. Kagome finally opened her eyes once the rustling ceased. He still had no shirt on so she softly blushed as the intense red faded. Everyone in the room was a normal shade and Yusuke was back to his solemn look. Kagome circled Kuronue and grunted her approval. He followed her form with his eyes.
 
“Not bad,” Kagome mumbled. Kuronue teasingly glared at her.
 
“What do you mean not bad?” Kuronue demanded.
 
“I mean I did a fine job remaking your body,” Kagome clarified with a look of pride.
 
“And how does a Miko know a youkai's body so well?” Yusuke asked as she glared at him.
 
“She merely touched me a lot,” Kuronue offered.
 
`Oh Kami,' Kagome thought.
 
“They were always touching each other,” Kurama confirmed.
 
“Who are you?” Kuronue calmly asked.
 
“Meet Youko Kurama,” Kagome meekly introduced. Kurama nodded as Kuronue raised an eyebrow.
 
“An illusion?” Kuronue asked.
 
“It's a permanent address,” Kurama informed with a smile.
 
“Did you really kill him?” Kuronue asked with a look of disbelief. Kagome tensed and everyone looked to her.
 
“She didn't kill me,” Kurama assured.
 
“How do I know it's really you?” Kuronue asked.
 
“Remember that time at the village, you licked the sword that had been sitting outside in the snow?” Kurama asked with a smirk. Kagome looked up to him and began to grin.
 
“I did no such thing!” Kuronue protested.
 
“Or what about the time you…”
 
“Okay! You're Youko,” Kuronue grumbled.
 
“We have to trade stories,” Kagome mouthed to Kurama who only nodded.
 
“It's nice to have the Koumori back, but what about Keiko?” Yusuke interrupted.
 
“Why doesn't your team stay at my shrine for a few days?” Kagome suggested.
 
“Why's that?” Yusuke asked.
 
“I have a feeling Keiko will come to you,” Kagome softly said.
 
“You had a part in her disappearance!” Yusuke accused, his anger back in full force.
 
“I had no part but if you want to see it that way, I can't stop you,” Kagome sharply replied.
 
“How do you know she'll come to him?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“It's because you came in contact with me, and whoever's after me is now after you,” Kagome answered.
 
“I think it's best if you go to her shrine,” Koenma calmly ordered.
 
“I want to look for her!” Yusuke shouted. Kagome winced; she knew the lost of a loved one.
 
“If you search for her…you may not like what you find or don't find,” Kagome vaguely warned.
 
“What do you know about all of this?” Yusuke demanded.
 
“Koenma knows this, but if we go to my shrine I will offer you answers,” Kagome tried to bait.
 
“Fine, let's go,” Yusuke finally gave in.
 
“What about the other family members that haven't been taken?” Kuwabara suddenly asked.
 
“If it's who I think it is, then they're safe until you try and contact them,” Kagome tried to reassure.
 
She knew something about this new foe, but she wasn't for sure. Kagome only hoped that if this was someone of Naraku, that they wouldn't repeat the past.
 
 
 
 
Author's Note:
Doesn't it seem like happiness is short lived?