InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Amatsu-Ata ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own”
(The Smiths)
 
 
 
Amatsu-Ata
(Heavenly Revenge)
 
 
 
“Talking”
`Thinking'
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Enma glared down at the tiny female in plain amusement. He gently rolled a small marble around on his desk. It was under his index finger as he toyed with it. Kagome's eyes glared at him as she slowly approached the desk. A portal opened and Koenma stepped through with Botan at his side. Kagome was surprised at the appearance and Enma was angered. His own son was openly defying him. It mattered not, he didn't need his son when he had all the power he needed in the Miko before him. Botan was scared but put a supportive hand on Kagome's shoulder. Kagome was shocked at this but smiled at her.
 
“I see you've finally come back,” Enma stated.
 
“I tire of this Enma, give back Kuronue's soul,” Kagome callously demanded. Enma laughed at her and faked a look of innocence.
 
“I don't know what you talk about,” Enma calmly said. She could hear the humor in his voice.
 
“You liar!” Kagome growled. She was sick of losing people she cared about. “Do you really think you can leash me?”
 
“I can leash anything not of the human world. You created me to always look for power and set judgment. I am a leader and therefore look for power,” Enma explained.
 
“Koenma,” Kagome calmly said as she stared at Enma.
 
Another portal opened and Kurama stepped through. Koenma had notified him that he would need help with Kagome. Yusuke refused to come because he was searching for Keiko. It was daylight in the Ningen-kai and she had been missing since last night. Kuwabara was searching for her and Hiei was watching over Kagome's shrine. So, he had left to help in any matter. He didn't expect to walk in on an argument with Enma.
 
“How do you kill a god or goddess?” Kagome calmly asked as she began to smirk. Every so often, the tainted souls would warp her thoughts and emotions. Kurama's emerald eyes widened in shock at the question she asked. Koenma looked nervous and Enma looked curiously scared.
 
“Gods and Goddesses are immortal, you can't kill them,” Koenma confided.
 
“Hear that Enma, a god or goddess is immortal,” Kagome repeated with a grin of victory.
 
“I know that I am immortal,” Enma jadedly said. Kagome laughed and it chilled everyone to the bone.
 
“You are not a god Enma, don't let the title go to your head. You are not a god because you were made from my energy and I am not a goddess,” Kagome informed as her eyes darkened.
 
“I am still immortal,” Enma growled. She was going to let out a secret he kept hidden.
 
“Immortal yes, indestructible…no,” Kagome whispered.
 
Enma held up the indigo marble in between his index and thumb. Kagome grinned at him; she was ready to do something she found hard to do. She would kill him and free her love. Nothing would stand in her way this time. She owed nothing to world, nothing to anybody; she was free to do what she wanted.
 
“You seem to have forgotten my leverage,” Enma laughed as he held up the marble. Kagome tensed, she could feel the ki radiating off the marble.
 
“How do you destroy a soul?” Enma darkly asked. “You should know this Kagome…you did destroy Naraku's soul.”
 
“You can't,” Kagome whispered her emotions were freezing.
 
Enma laughed at her mockingly, “Liar.”
 
“You wouldn't do that to a soul that has done no wrong!” Kagome yelled at him.
 
“I am a god of judgment, I can't help if I misjudge one soul,” Enma slyly said. Her eyes narrowed at this. Even Koenma glared at his father for such an evil act. Kurama carefully watched Kagome as she stared at the marble.
 
“You can only destroy a soul in one of two ways. A demon or god can devour the soul or you can simply purify the soul from existence,” Kagome harshly explained.
 
Enma held up the marble, “You wouldn't want his soul devoured would you?”
 
“You know that you're doomed,” Kagome sardonically said. Enma paused at her change in emotion.
 
“Explain,” Enma untrustingly demanded.
 
“If you kill his soul I'll simply kill you,” Kagome happily purred. Kurama tensed, Kagome's time in the Tama did seem to change her. Enma laughed at current event.
 
“What if we make a deal?” Enma asked trying to appease to the tainted souls within her.
 
Kagome tapped her chin in thought before she said, “Speak quickly.”
 
“You have so much potential to be a great goddess,” Enma began his speech.
 
“Get to the point,” Kagome growled.
 
“Drop your petty alliance with my son and I will give you true power and the soul of your beloved,” Enma promised.
 
“How can you give me true power when I am the one that created you?” Kagome challenged with a smirk. Kagome knew Enma had certain abilities she gave up when she created him.
 
“Become a Kami for me,” Enma passionately said.
 
“Just a Kami?” Kagome questioned with a scoff.
 
“You know that you could become a goddess,” Enma offered hoping it would finally tempt her.
 
“What if I keep my alliance with you son and become this Kami for you,” Kagome offered as his grin widened, “but I will keep my freedom and never answer to you.”
 
“You must give up your human notions,” Enma growled.
 
Kagome sighed and her eyes strayed to the ceiling. It seemed easy enough; it should have easy to give up the cause of her pain. She could finally be free of the pain of heartache, and then she could put Inuyasha to rest without guilt. Her eyes traveled to the marble that was Kuronue's soul. The blue specks in Kagome's eyes became more prominent as she was reminded of the reason she kept her emotions. She kept them so give herself to Kuronue and be normal. Kagome accepted that she wouldn't be normal, but she knew she had to keep the emotions. What she felt with Kuronue was something she wanted to keep regardless of the pain.
 
“Give me his soul and I will became the Kami you deem fit,” Kagome agreed.
 
“What aren't you telling me?” Enma suspiciously demanded.
 
“Are you going to pass up the chance to mold me to your vision?” Kagome softly asked with a grin.
 
“You will be the Amatsu-Ata and take care of all affairs I see fit,” Enma proudly said.
 
“I will not be a lap dog,” Kagome growled.
 
“Of course not,” Enma assured with a grin.
 
Getting her to agree to become a Kami was good enough. He would then work on slowly getting her to remove her human notions. Enma knew that this deal would hold her to her vows of this deal. She wouldn't try to kill him; her human notions still ruled her. Once she became the perfect Kami, he would use her to rise in power. He could then been done with his son that clung to human emotions. Enma reached into his desk and pulled out a small silver bell, it was no bigger then large marshmallow. It was plain and silver, nothing special. He tossed her the bell and she caught it. Her eyes widened as she felt it pulse to life.
 
“What is this?” Kagome demanded an answer to what everyone thought.
 
“You are my heavenly revenge, one ring of that bell will send any being to death,” Enma answered.
 
Kagome glared at him for good measure before he held up the marble. Kagome kept her gaze on the marble as he tossed it to her. She tenderly caught it and held it to her heart. Relief and guilt immediately washed over her. Relief to have some part of Kuronue with her and guilt that he was trapped in this small indigo pearl. Kagome took a step back with her prize in hand. She would soon have her love back with her. Kagome took hold of Kurama's wrist with her free hand. Koenma sensing what was going on placed his hand on her shoulder. He held Botan's hand as he waited for their exit.
 
“This is not over,” Kagome darkly whispered as she made them vanish from the room. Enma leaned back in his chair; he was pleased at the way things went. He knew this was far from over. The events that were about to take place would change her drastically. Then she would become the perfect Kami.
 
 
 
 
Yusuke growled as he kicked Keiko's apartment door again. No one was home and all the lights were shut off. With one last growl, he shoved his hands into his pants pockets and stalked off. Kuwabara looked up from the sky to see his friend muttering softly to himself. Yusuke stared up at the sky in disdain. Everything was going so wrong lately. Kurama was siding with a possible enemy, his team was slowly falling apart, and now Keiko was missing. He looked back at the apartment; her parents were out of town. There was nothing he could do at this moment in time; it made him feel weak. He wasn't a youkai, he couldn't pick up her sent and run to her.
 
“Do you think Koenma could locate her?” Kuwabara asked as he looked to Yusuke.
 
“I doubt it,” Yusuke mumbled as he walked down the sidewalk.
 
Koenma had recently been too nervous to deal with anything. The youkai of Makai had settled down and there had been no attacks. Yusuke's thoughts turned to Koenma and then to Keiko. He frowned as he began to walk faster to her work. The simple job she held at a coffee house. His eyes narrowed as he remembered that woman Kagome telling him to watch his loved ones. He wondered if she did this, if she took Keiko. Kuwabara sensed the intense emotions and sighed, Yusuke was a volcano when it came to anything.
 
He stopped walking when he heard the gentle clink of keys. Kuwabara stopped his pace and followed Yusuke's gaze to the ground. Yusuke knelt down and stared at the key set unemotionally. Kuwabara recognized the key set in an instant. There was a small hello kitty doll attached to the set with a picture of Yusuke and Keiko yelling at each other. Yusuke picked the key set and stared at the key set with all the pain in the world. Blood coated the tips of the keys and he growled. He quickly stood up and faced Kuwabara with a look of anger.
 
“Let's go to Koenma,” Yusuke stoically said.
 
Yusuke pocketed the keys and followed Kuwabara to an alley. He opened his communicator and noticed Botan had a worry look on her face. He raised an eyebrow and she smiled nervously.
 
“What's wrong?” Yusuke gruffly asked. He didn't want to seem cold, but he had his woman to look for.
 
“What do you need Yusuke?” Botan happily asked.
 
“I need a portal to Koenma's office,” Yusuke answered. Botan covered her screen with her hand and he heard faint mumbles.
 
“You have to promise not to cause any trouble if you come,” Botan firmly said.
 
“Who's there?” Yusuke asked with a feeling of dread.
 
“Kagome's here,” Botan answered. Yusuke scowled, the girl appeared to be everywhere.
 
“Open the portal this is more important then my dislike of her,” Yusuke seriously said.
 
Botan nodded and he shut the communicator off. A portal opened and both he and Kuwabara stepped through it.
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: