InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Only Human ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Is someone testing me every day I live?
Well, the best in me is all I have to give”
(I Am the Wind)
 
 
 
Only Human
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Darkness. It was like a never-ending pool of dark water. The chill from the darkness sent shivers down her spine. A tint of light came into her vision and she slowly opened her eyes. The voices were just outside the door and she grimaced. It felt like someone had hit her upside the head with a hammer and then ran her over a few times. Her eyes fully opened when she registered that the feeling of pain wasn't leaving her. She tried to pull for that familiar energy, but cried when it didn't come. The souls, they were gone from her body. It left her feeling empty and she couldn't understand why. Her eyes traveled to the door and she listened to the conversation.
 
“They both look like crap,” Kuwabara mumbled.
 
“Stupid monkey,” Hiei growled.
 
“Kagome will be alright…right?” Souta asked for reassurance.
 
“Honestly…I don't know,” Kurama softly said.
 
“Kagome will be fine,” Kuronue quickly said.
 
“That's not entirely true,” Hiei voiced.
 
“He's right,” Kurama began, “if she survives the physical damage there is still her mental state.”
 
“The woman's only human now,” Hiei reminded.
 
“She survived as a human and she'll survive as a human now,” Souta firmly said.
 
“I hope you're right,” Kurama whispered.
 
Kagome closed her eyes and turned her face to the wall. It had finally happened after all those years. Her karma had caught up to her and smacked her down. She didn't know if to believe it was a blessing or a curse. The door creaked opened and she listened to it close once more. A warm hand took her hand and she opened her eyes. Her blue-gray eyes met indigo orbs that reflected the setting sunlight. Kagome sighed and turned away from his gaze. She was just a weak imitation of her former self. This was nothing worthwhile in this human body.
 
She rolled away from his body and faced the wall. Silence passed and she thought he might leave. The bed creaked as she felt his weight spread beside her. Kagome continued to stare at the wall until she felt him pull her body to his. He held her against his chest with one arm around her waist and the other cradling her head. Kagome turned her head from him and watched as his wings encircle them. He buried his nose in her hair and inhaled the sweet scent she carried.
 
“How can you touch me?” Kagome whispered to him as she stared at the leathery wings.
 
“Why would I stop touching you? I love the way you feel…unless you don't want my touch,” Kuronue softly said as his grip tightened.
 
“I love that you touch me. You treat me like a human and remind me that I am human. I just don't understand how you can still touch me after seeing the evil of the souls I carried,” Kagome explained.
 
“We all have darkness within us,” Kuronue assured as he cradled her. “Humans have darkness just as Youkai have darkness, but it is nothing to be ashamed off,” Kuronue assured.
 
Kagome blinked and looked away from him before fully relaxing in his grip.
 
“The darkness that I carry is different, it haunts my every thought and runs through my blood. It can control me if I'm not extra careful,” Kagome tried to explain.
 
“Do you think I would leave you just because of the darkness in your soul?” Kuronue incredulously asked.
 
“I thought it would drive you away,” Kagome surely whispered. Kuronue softly chuckled and kissed her cheek with a grin.
 
“You forget that I'm a bat…I naturally like the dark,” Kuronue reminded.
 
Kagome snuggled into him and returned the kiss before he could react. She rested her ear against his chest and counted the heartbeats to assure her he was real. There were times that the souls of the Tama would taunt her with his image. Kagome heard her own heartbeat and it reminded her.
 
“I'm only human,” Kagome whispered. Kuronue snapped from his dream and gazed down at her.
 
“You've always been human…what's the difference now?” Kuronue asked with a look of confusion.
 
“I'm weak…just like before,” Kagome angrily said.
 
Kuronue chuckled and she softly punched him in the chest. He scoffed as he folded his wings to his back. Kagome softly yelped as he pulled them to their sides.
 
“Is your being weak that important?” He asked.
 
“I can't do anything as a human!” Kagome growled.
 
“You destroyed Naraku as a human,” Kuronue pointed out.
 
“I'm not used to being human anymore,” Kagome spoke.
 
“Then I'll teach you how to be human again,” Kuronue whispered as he wiggled an eyebrow. Kagome's face blushed and she buried her face in his shoulder. She felt him chuckling and bit his shoulder for good measure. His chuckling broke into laughter when he felt her nip.
 
“Okinawa,” Kagome teased as he softly growled.
 
Kuronue rolled on top of her and locked her legs between his own. He held himself on his elbows as stared down at her. He took note of how her face was still red from her blush. Leaning forward, he nuzzled her neck as she leaned her head to the side allowing him better access. Kagome softly whimpered as she felt his fangs brush her skin. His hot breath on her neck caused goose bumps to rise. Kagome reached up, pulled his hat off, and tossed it to the floor. Kuronue slowly sucked on her neck as she groaned and broke the tie that held his hair from his face.
 
Her eyes were half lidded as she watched the hair fall around her like a black waterfall. Kagome ran her hands through his hair and finally found his ears. They were larger then a normal youkai ears. There size reminded her of a bat's ears. Kagome grasped onto his ears and pulled his face closer to her neck.
 
`I wonder if ears count for anything.' Kagome thought as she fell into bliss.
 
`I don't think you're well enough to find out,' Kuronue's voice teased her.
 
Kagome's eyes shot open and she went to sit up. His body held her down as his fangs applied pressure to her neck. He whispered against her neck and she shivered.
 
“How can you…to the left…mind talk?” Kagome whispered in broken words.
 
`I can only do this with physical contact,' Kuronue assured as he caressed her mind.
 
Kagome felt the soft caress and figured that she didn't mind him in there. A wave of happiness shot through her as she felt his joy for her not rebuking him. Kagome buried her fingers in his hair and he softly growled. That's when she felt the sudden prick of pain. His fangs buried themselves into her shoulder and she yelped. He licked over the wound and she pulled his ear in revenge.
 
“Ow!” He whined.
 
“You're no fruit bat! You're a vampire bat! Biting me like I'm freaking dinner!” Kagome ranted as she put a hand over her shoulder.
 
“You ruined the mood…and it's just a love nip!” Kuronue defended.
 
“I felt fang! There was defiantly fang action going on!” Kagome accused. He rolled his eyes and Kagome glared at him.
 
“So what if there's fang?” Kuronue challenged.
 
“I'd like a little warning,” Kagome justified.
 
“Fine! Next time I'll stop and say `Kagome…I'm going to fang you!'” Kuronue dryly exclaimed.
 
“Who's fanging who?” Kurama asked as he opened the door. Kagome glared at him and Kuronue scowled.
 
“And how long where you there!” Kagome demanded. Kurama ignored the question and focused on her neck from his spot by the door. A grin covered his face as he chuckled.
 
“Congratulations Kagome, you're now engaged,” Kurama stated as her face paled.
 
“Not now!” Kuronue warned.
 
“You didn't give her a warning?” Kurama asked with a grin.
 
“Warning? I knew there should have been a warning!” Kagome triumphantly growled.
 
“Go away,” Kuronue sang as he growled at the fox.
 
“I'm engaged,” Kagome whispered.
 
“I'm sorry I didn't ask first,” Kuronue figured it would be better to plead for his life before her anger came into play.
 
“You jerk!” Kagome growled as she tugged his ear. “I would of said yes!”
 
“So is that a yes?” Kuronue hopefully asked as he tried to escape the death grip on his ear.
 
“Of course!” Kagome shouted as she tackled him into a hug.
 
“How sweet,” Kurama teased.
 
“Baka Kitsune,” Kuronue growled.
 
“I'm not the one got engaged,” Kurama pointed out with a grin.
 
“Go away,” Kagome growled.
 
“A mere mortal tells me what to do?” Kurama teased.
 
Kagome instantly deflated and Kuronue scowled at Kurama. Kurama noticed this and smacked himself for forgetting about what happened.
 
“Kagome,” Kurama began. He didn't like the depressed Kagome.
 
“Go,” she whispered. Kurama tried to think of something without sending her into a deeper depression.
 
`What would Youko do?' Kurama pondered. He grinned and took a deep breathe after figuring it be his last.
 
“Kagome,” Kurama seriously said, “I want you to know that whether you are mortal or not. I would gladly ravish your body in any form.”
 
Kagome tensed and Kuronue began to growl. Gold leaked into the emerald orbs as he winked at the blushing girl. Kuronue set Kagome beside him and stood up. Kurama held his hands up as he smiled at the angry Koumori.
 
“You better say your prayers to Inari,” Kuronue calmly growled.
 
“What should I pray for?” Kurama challenged.
 
“Pray that I won't purify your ass!” Kagome shouted as she darted for the fox.
 
Kurama let loose a laugh as Kagome chased him down the stairs. He ran outside and glanced behind to see Kagome before she tackled him to the ground. Kurama took most of the fall for both of them. Kagome softly chuckled as she began to tickle him. She squeaked when she felt herself being lifted up by her waist. Kuronue had a scolding look for both of them.
 
“Shame on you for jumping my best friend!” Kuronue scolded as he tapped her nose. Kagome huffed and snapped at the finger. “Shame on you Youko for taking advantage of my Kagome.”
 
“But she was the one that jumped me first!” Kurama defended.
 
“You should have resisted her charms!” Kuronue dramatically said. Kagome rolled her eyes at their antics, but it was worth it. She was happy that there were smiles in this darkness.
 
“I did resist but she wooed me with her grace,” Kurama teased.
 
“Why did you leave me?” Kuronue joked as he set her on her feet.
 
“Maybe it was all that fang action I heard about,” Kurama suggested.
 
Kagome's left eye twitched before she punched Kurama on the head. Kuronue raised an eyebrow and she glared at him. He tensed as he prepared himself for her attack. She grinned before she tapped his nose and skipped back into the house.
 
“How come you got off that easy?” Kurama growled as he rubbed his head.
 
Kuronue gave a prideful grin as he responded, “It must have been the fang action.”
 
Kurama winced as he watched the fist collide with Kuronue's head. He never saw it coming.
 
 
 
Author's Note:
I wanted a chapter with an upbeat attitude, I decided that I was tired of all the sadness..