InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ On The Night Of A Blood Red Moon ❯ Chapter 23

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: On The Night Of A Blood Red Moon
Author: Ryukotsusei and Cyntinell
Disclaimer: We do not own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho. We do however own the plot. Steal it and you shall face our wrath.
 
 
 
 
 
Warnings: This is a dark fic. It does have graphically detailed rape in it, as well as lemons in future chapters. It does have major character deaths as well. Reviews are always appreciated, flames not tolerated. You are forewarned.
 
Chapter Twenty Three
 
It seemed like it had taken forever but at last the screams had finally ceased, leaving only an empty silence lingering throughout the lair. It was something that Ryuji was intensely grateful for. The slightest bit of regret filled him, knowing that the lives of those he once called friends had been brutally cut short. If circumstances had been different he would have seen to it that they would have lived, but the decision had been taken out of his hands and it was not in his best interests to protest otherwise. It was better to be among the living than a member of the dead and he knew he would be doing well to remember that. From time to time the wolves had entered the room he was in but they had refrained from threatening him for the moment, having other prey to hunt. Occasionally one would move towards the corpse of Masakazu, checking to make sure he was of no threat. More than one had even urinated on the body, their way of gloating over the crow's death before moving on, continuing the hunt.
 
Exhaustion was taking its toll on his body but somehow he found enough strength to stand and approach his fallen leader. Reaching down his hands sought the hilts of his precious blades and yanked them free of the body. Wiping the blood on the dead man's pants, he shoved them back into their sheaths before standing straight once more. He was now the leader of this clan, it didn't matter if all of the others had been eliminated. Time was on his side, though he knew it wouldn't take long to recruit more members. His only concern was finding a higher quality of demons to join him. He would not allow the sloppiness that he bore witness to as second in command to flourish under his rule. The Reikai would come of course, no doubt wanting to know of what transpired and he would let them. For when the Gods came he would be long gone, the cave abandoned for the time being. Once he returned he could begin to rebuild, the first task would be resetting the barrier. Though he was loath to hide from the Reikai as they had done before he could see the practicality of the move. All he needed was to find someone skilled enough to cast one as strong as the one before it.

Sighing heavily he .turned towards the doorway, his legs threatening to give out. Escaping the cave was a priority but at the moment he knew he had not the strength to do so. The blow he had taken to the head as well as the loss of blood had taken a heavy toll and he found himself slumping against the wall, trying to hold himself upright. Appearing this weak when the wolves returned could do him no favors and he was positive that they would be returning shortly. Aiko had yet to make an appearance and Masakazu had been one of her main targets. She would come, if only to assure herself of the crow's death. If luck was with him she had already sated the majority of her lust on the priestess, he hoped the wolf bitch had found her. With luck she had and his plans could progress as he had hoped. Ryuji knew that it was unlikely for Hiei to have managed to get the girl out of the cave. Yet, even if they had he had no doubts the pack would hunt the both of them down. Aiko wouldn't be happy for the delay in her revenge but he did have one prize to give her as a peace offering for his own life, Masakazu's head. The body of the demon who had slaughtered her mate was a valuable bargaining chip. Hopefully it would be enough, he knew he couldn't take the pack on himself and live.


It was with an intense struggle that he managed to pull himself into a more upright position, leaning back against the wall. To the casual observer it would merely look as if he was waiting for someone. Truthfully he was. After what seemed like an eternity Aiko finally entered the room, her hardened gaze immediately falling upon him. Ryuji knew in that moment that there was a good chance that he would not survive the encounter, especially when her gaze drifted to the dead body. With a great effort he managed to keep from trembling before her, he could nearly taste her fury at seeing Masakazu dead. Cautiously he moved his hands closer to his knives, knowing that it was likely to be a futile attempt if he made any move to use them.
 
Aiko stared at Masakazu's prone form for several long moments before turning back towards the dragon. Rage rolled off of her body in waves, the crow's death belonged to her and her alone, yet someone else had stolen that right away from her. The smell of that bitch priestess was all over him, it could be no other. Even tainted with the smell of other demons there was no mistaking the smell of human all over him along with another, the smell of cinnamon laced with a smoky overtone. A fire apparition unless she missed her guess and she was seldom wrong. The scent of death was strong but not of the one she desired the most. Aggressively she stalked up to the dragon, his ragged breathing coming quickly. He was afraid of her and with good reason. At last she stood before him, staring into his piercing eyes as her hand closed around his throat. "Where is she Ryuji? The deal was her life in exchange for yours. I see only one corpse here, not two." Her voice was just above a growl yet it carried clearly through the room and beyond. None of her pack had reported the girl's whereabouts and when Ryuji had remained out of sight she had been certain he had either detained the girl or had died himself.


Ryuji swallowed hard, the points of her claws digging dangerously into his flesh. "What do you mean? She left here heading straight for your pack. They should have caught both her and Hiei, subduing the two of them should have been no problem." He was surprised that Hiei had managed to pull off the seemingly impossible. By all rights they shouldn't have made it anywhere near the entrance of the cave. The lack of effectiveness this wolf pack was currently showing was disappointing. How had he managed to be captured by such inept demons when they couldn't manage to catch a half dead human and her injured lover? He had done his part, thinking he was the sole survivor of this revolt and now everything had been jeopardized because this bitch had failed.
 
.
Aiko's hand tightened on his neck, the blood beginning to spill over her fingers yet it was not enough to end his life. How tempting it was to destroy the one she held onto but it was not time yet. How she hated this demon, wanting nothing more than to spill his blood but she still needed him, needed answers about the one this priestess escaped with. Her growl was murderous, matching the gleam in her eyes as she stared into his eyes. "Tell me why I should let you live. The bitch is gone and you probably aided her, as well as robbing me of the opportunity to claim this bastards life." Her other hand came up, the fire light emphasizing the tips of her claws, ready to rend the flesh off of his face. Stopping mere centimeters away from Ryuji's eyes she waited, watching the demon's mind work frantically to find a way out of this predicament he had found himself in.
Ryuji didn't move, he barely breathed as he tried to come up with something, anything he could give to her. "If the girl escaped it was because she had help. When I last saw her she couldn't even walk which means Hiei is carrying her. He's fast but with her weight he'll be slowed considerably. You can hunt him down and claim your revenge then, I can give you the scent of this demon and then you can go after them." It was difficult to keep the frantic tone out of his voice but he knew this was an all or nothing attempt. "Masakazu is dead, half of your revenge is complete. Go after the girl and complete your task. Only then can your mate rest!"

Aiko's eyes soften slightly at the mention of Kouga, true he would be able to rest easy soon, knowing that his death had been avenged. Yet Ryuji didn't know that his offering was worthless, she already had the scent of the two she needed. Still, she didn't need to tell him that. It was time to end the charade. Mentally she called to her pack, releasing her grip on the dragon before her. As the wolves began to swarm into the room she looked at Ryuji once more. "You are to take these two wolves and show them where to find this scent you speak of." Turning her attention to the two wolves she had indicated, she addressed them. "Once you have the scent I want you to follow it and kill the male demon who allowed her to escape. Bring Kagome to me, alive. She will pay for Kouga's death. Do not fail me, should they escape I will be displeased."

As she watched Ryuji lever himself off of the wall, she confirmed her thoughts of just how weak the dragon was at the moment. Waiting for him to exit the room with his guardians she turned to the beta wolf, meeting it's golden eyes. "Kill him once he reaches the room. Bring me back his head." Her voice was merely a whisper but the icy finality in her tone made it clear to her second in command just how serious she was. Without another word being spoken she watched the wolf race off, following it's brethren deeper into the lair. The rest of the pack made its way out as well, keen on beginning the hunt.
 

Making her way to the fallen crow Aiko stared at his bloody body. The killer of her mate, the father of her children. This demon had been responsible for destroying everything in her life, everything that she had held dear. Viciously she kicked him, wishing that he could still feel pain, that she could make him beg for death. As the corpse rolled slightly she bent over, spitting in his face. The strange, twisted smile that remained on his lips disturbed her on a level that she never believed was possible. 'What possible reason could he have had to smile about? Did he desire death that greatly?' Kneeling down she studied him, there was something about the man, something that was out of place besides the smile but she couldn't put her finger on just what it was. Her hand pressed against the floor as she made ready to stand when one of his hands raised of its own accord.
 
Aiko moved to throw herself back away from it but the movement came too late. His hand seized her wrist, pinning her in place while an aura flared up violently around the both of them. Pain blanketed her as the spell he had invoked took affect, pouring deep within her body and settling into her womb. Struggling to remain conscious she ripped herself away from his hold, flashes of color sparking in front of her eyes. Heavily she crashed to the ground, holding her swollen stomach as the pain continued to tear through her. As it slowly ebbed her head turned, meeting the dead stare of the crow, only now the smile he had once worn had vanished.
 
'What the hell?' Aiko wasn't certain just what that attack had intended to do. Destroy her unborn child? Kill her instead? She wasn't certain but she would be certain to have the healer look at her as soon as they returned to the cave. She couldn't lose her child, not to the likes of a dead man. Closing her eyes long enough to get her bearings she realized that she could hear footsteps, those of the two she had sent off with the dragon. No doubt they had accomplished what she had ordered. A dull thump brought her out of her musings, the sound of bone striking the stone floor. Turning slightly at the sound she watched the dragons head roll across the floor and she couldn't help but smile. The thoughts of her revenge being denied to her slipped into obscurity, having faith that her pack would see this task to the end. Soon, all the players in this ordeal would be dead and she could go home. As her eyes slipped shut she could hear the mental calls of her pack mates, asking if she was alright. Nodding slightly, she set their minds at ease but remained on the ground for a few more moments. While the pain had subsided she had no wish to test her balance out at that point in time. Soon enough she would be back to normal and once this Kagome had been brought before her she would unleash the fury of the wolf pack upon her. The pack would finally get the justice it deserved.



Deep within the forest the dense undergrowth tore at Hiei's exposed skin but he did not falter. Their destination was clear in his mind, though he was unsure of Kagome's assurances that the well would allow him passage. It was her only hope and should the portal refuse him he would find another way to evade detection. He would live to see her again, he had vowed that to her and he would not go back on his word. Already he could detect the energy of the wolves coming closer but they were still some distance away. They needed all the space they could get and he continued to push himself, avoiding the way his legs cramped under the strain of carrying the extra weight at such high speeds.
 
Occasionally he would glance down to look at the woman in his arms, assuring himself that she remained among the living. He was reassured to see that her chest still rose and fell with each breath she took and for not they did not appear to be laboring under an intense strain, despite the fact he was sure some of her ribs were broken. That thought was confirmed as he misstepped, regaining his footing quickly but jarring her in the process. He knew that he should be more careful, traveling perhaps at an easier pace to spare her some of the discomfort but they couldn't afford to lose any ground. Instead he focused on the task at hand, ignoring the groan of pain that escaped her lips. They hadn't come this far only to fail at the last moment. "Stay strong, we will be there soon and you will be safe."


Kagome's eyes fluttered open at the sound of his voice. The guilt he harbored was plain to hear and she wished there was some way to reassure him that she would be fine. The wounds she had sustained at Masakazu's hands still throbbed but they were slowly becoming more bearable, she had to wonder if Kouga was still influencing her somehow. Still, every movement hurt for there was nothing that could be done about her dislocated shoulder. That would have to be set at a later time, when they were safe again. Knowing that for the moment she could only bear what she must, she tried to contain her cries of pain as best as she could. There was no need to cause Hiei any further guilt over her injuries, he had enough to worry about at the moment. They both needed to survive together and if she was responsible for getting him killed she would never forgive herself. "I'm fine, don't... Don't worry about me." Briefly the thought crossed her mind that if she were to die now then at least she would be free but she dismissed them. She couldn't die now, not when she had so much to live for with Hiei.
 
The apparition knew that she was just trying to placate him but said nothing about it. If it made her feel better to think he wouldn't worry then so be it. Even as she spoke the words he could smell the barely restrained tears that she was holding in. He knew how great the pain was that she was experiencing, not to mention the worry about their future. His nose twitched slightly when Kagome coughed suddenly, he smelled fresh blood in the air which could only mean one thing, internal bleeding. He knew she needed help and quickly if she was going to live. They were now in an area of the forest he wasn't very familiar with but he didn't let that deter him as he pushed himself harder. He could feel his strength giving out but he wouldn't give in, not when they were so close. Abruptly they entered a clearing and he knew that they had found what he had been searching for. The wooden walls of the well stood out against the lush landscape, he had found the portal that would take her home.



Relief and hope flooded through him as he slowed to a walk. The howls of the wolves could be heard but they had a minute or two to breathe before going through the portal. Approaching the structure he carefully set her down on the ledge and set about clearing away the vines that had begun to cover the opening. As the final bit of foliage was pulled away he looked up into Kagome's pain filled eyes. "It's time to go Kagome."

Ever so slowly Kagome leaned towards him, wrapping her arms around his waist. For the moment she would ignore the fact that home was just a moment away. She was relieved that he was not pulling away from her, refusing her embrace. Slowly his arms wrapped around her once more, keeping the chill air away from her body. The hard wood pricked the skin on her legs but she ignored it for the moment, focusing on the feel of him. "Come with me Hiei. Please! Come with me."
 
Doubt filled him, both Midoriko and the Seer had said he could not pass through the well but were they right? Would it deny him passage or should he trust in Kagome. She had passed through it often after all, wouldn't she know how the magic worked? "I don't know if I can." So far the Seer had been correct in the chain of events and he couldn't see a reason as to why she would lie about this as well. Slowly he pulled back from her, placing a steadying hand on her shoulder when she became unbalanced at the loss of support.
 
"You can, I feel it within me Hiei. You can come with me. Please, don't leave me alone!" Kagome looked down into the well and could already see the magic beginning to form at the bottom, calling to her. Yet she refused to leave without him, not unless he turned her away.
 
When she looked up again Hiei could see the emotional pain that was in her eyes. Without breaking her gaze he took her wrist in his hands, grasping one of the bracelets that kept her powers bound. Concentrating what strength he could he poured his youki into the ward, feeling the metal begin to heat under his hands. He could hear her hiss of pain as the metal singed her skin but it couldn't be helped if they were to be removed. Suddenly he shifted the focus of his power, channeling the ice side of him and freezing the metal. Unable to take the abrupt temperature change the metal shattered beneath his hand and fell away. "Just one more and then you can work to better heal yourself."
 
Kagome merely nodded as he began to repeat the process with the other ward. It would do no good to tell him that she had no conscious control over her abilities like that, if she healed it would be all instinctual on her part. As the second ward fell away she could feel her energy flare up in response but it did something she could not have expected.
A warmth washed over Hiei that he had not been expecting and he watched in amazement as his own wounds began to heal over while hers remained. "Why?" He couldn't understand why she would heal him but not herself, especially when she had a child to consider. Even now he wasn't sure if their unborn would live with the condition Kagome was currently in.
 
Kagome coughed slightly, using her hand to wipe away the traces of blood that fell from her lips. "The way my power works. I have no control over it." She looked down at her hands, where the wards used to be. "So is it over? Truly over?" When Hiei nodded to her she couldn't stop the smile that crossed her lips. They had done it, escaped from the hell Masakazu had put them in. Even though she could hear the wolves it no longer mattered. Soon they would be away from all this, if only Hiei would say yes.

"It's over, we're free." Knowing that he might be parted from her soon, Hiei was no longer able to resist the temptation that she presented. Slowly he leaned forward, drawing closer to his chosen mate. He could smell the blood but it didn't deter him from what he was about to do. Giving her every opportunity to draw away from him if she wished he softly placed his lips upon hers, waiting to see if she rejected him. His hands came up, pulling her closer to him as she leaned closer. It was a moment he wished would never end and suddenly it was not enough. His tongue traced the seem of her lips, urging her to allow him entrance. As his tongue met hers he could feel her body relax against his. Time stood still and the worlds melted away, leaving only the two of them wrapped in each others arms.


In that moment Kagome knew that everything would be okay, she could feel the strength of the love that Hiei had for her and realized that he would never leave her, not willingly. Slowly she drew back to stare into his eyes that had darkened with emotion. "I love you Hiei." Her words were whispered but she knew he heard them easily enough.


Slowly he drew her closer once again, taking a moment to run his hand through her hair. His cheek touched hers and his breath ghosted across her ear as he whispered his own words of devotion. Never before had he expected to say what he was about to say, but it was something she needed to hear. A reassurance only he could give her. "I love you as well. No matter what happens, do not forget that." He couldn't say he knew what the future had in store for them but he wanted to be sure that she knew where his heart lie incase the well denied him.
 
Kagome fisted her hands into his clothes, unwilling to let him go. "I'm not leaving without you. If you can't go I won't either." Just the thought of returning to her own time without him brought tears to her eyes. How would she face her family? Her friends? She was no longer the same person and she knew it would be difficult readjusting to her former life even with Hiei by her side. She couldn't fathom how she would cope with life without him.


"Be reasonable Kagome. If you stay here you will die, this is no place for you. If I cannot join you then trust me, I will find you." Hiei knew that they were running short on time. The sounds of the wolves were coming closer and it wouldn't be long before they were upon them. However another sound caught his attention, someone else was in the immediate area. Pulling back from her he met her questioning gaze. "Someone approaches."
 
Determined not to allow another threat anywhere near them, Hiei's acute sense of smell went into overdrive as he tried to ascertain just who was approaching them. Not that their identities would make much of a difference, he considered everyone a threat to their safety at the moment. As expected however, these scents were unfamiliar to him but there was no mistaking the power that the two contained. Sighing heavily he realized they were nearly out of time, the approach of these two new demons made the situation all the more dangerous for Kagome. A human priestess in the Makai was certain to draw attention, especially since he had just removed the wardings. No doubt these newcomers had felt her power and were planning to end any threat that her presence represented. That of course was something he refused to allow to happen, though he knew his chances of surviving the upcoming battle were slim if they insisted on attacking.
 
Torn between facing these newcomers and saying goodbye to Kagome, he knew it would be foolhardy to turn his back to the threat. Keeping his eyes trained on the forest, a shimmer of silver caught his attention. Frowning deeply as the ghostly form materialized on the edge of the clearing, he waited for the demon to make the first move. He sensed the second demon behind the first even though he couldn't see him as of yet. The faint sound of laughter was heard, it would figure that they'd find amusement in the situation. A low growl formed in his chest in response, as he locked us with the demon who had come to call.
 
"How very interesting. To think I had just come here to investigate the power surges and look what I've found. A youngling and a human." Golden eyes narrowed in displeasure. "A very dangerous human."
 
Hiei took a step closer to Kagome as the cold voice washed over the both of them. It was hard, devoid of any emotion and it set the both of them on edge. Seeing those cold eyes looking Kagome over, Hiei took a step closer to her instinctively. He would not allow her to come to any further harm. Smirking towards the newcomers, Hiei put up a show of arrogance that he hoped would be enough to deter them. "Now that you've had a look you can leave. I have no quarrel with the likes of you but the girl is mine." There was an edge of desperation to his voice that he couldn't hope to hide, he just hoped they would interpret it as a willingness to do anything to keep the girl in his possession. The tiredness that he had felt earlier was rapidly disappearing as adrenaline coursed through his body once more.
 
"I'm afraid that is not an option boy. You see, I don't take kindly to being given orders especially by a brat that can't hope to stand against me. Stand down, it would be a shame to have to kill you." Chuckling at the nerve his words had struck, he continued on knowing that sooner or later the younger demon would make a move. "I want the girl. Or, I should say I want what is inside the girl. Your life is of no consequence." He stood still, waiting for the young apparition to make his choice. The only sign of his impatience was that of his youki which was filling the air, making it shimmer around him as the forest stood ready to do his bidding.
 
Another voice broke the silence, this one harsher than the first and showing far more impatience. "Blab, blab, blab. Dammit Youko why bother with this nonsense? We've found what we came for, take it and let's go. I don't like the feel of this and you know damned well Enma won't either."
 
Hiei watched as the one now identified as Youko turned slightly to address the voice coming from behind him and knew this was one of the only chances to attack he was likely to get. There was no hesitation in his decision, their goal had already been made plain. They wanted Kagome and the jewel. No doubt they would kill her to get it, he had to get her back to her own time. She would be safe there, he just hoped he would be able to go with her. Without warning black flames surrounded his hand and he threw it at the distracted demon. As expected, the Kitsune dodged well before it hit and ignited the tree he had been standing on. It was no matter. Pouring his youki into the attacks, Hiei tossed more towards the demon. If nothing else, setting the forest ablaze lessened what the animal spirit would have to work with.
 
Youko watched the younger demon attack, playing with him as the fires continued to grow. Let the youngling waste his energy on elemental attacks which would never touch him. Rolling to the left as another ball of flame came towards him, he regained his footing and pulled a rose out of his hair. Standing in front of the irritated apparition, he twirled the flower lazily between his fingers. "You fight like a coward little one. You should know better than to hope to use your magics against me." Before Hiei could formulate a response, Youko flung the rose to the side and channeled his youki into it. In moments it had become a deadly weapon, a whip that would easily cut through the toughest of materials. More than enough to take care of an arrogant upstart such as the kid in front of him.
 
Hiei was no fool, he had heard of this demon and his exploits. The man had been the topic of many conversations around the lair, he was well aware of just what that whip could do yet he did not falter. Raising the sword and pointing the blade at the kitsune, he waited. No longer did his arm tremble with exhaustion under the weight of the weapon. He would pay for this later he knew but somehow he needed to disarm the kitsune and render him immobile before he had a chance to counter. At the same time, he knew he couldn't charge towards the kitsune. His partner was also a demon to be reckoned with and would not hesitate to attack the girl should the opportunity present itself. The bigger danger was the longer they delayed, the closer the wolves came. Something had to give and soon. Desperate to get the fight underway he threw more fire but this time towards the darkness where he knew the second demon to be hidden. His attention was drawn back to the kitsune just in time to avoid the whip which would have taken off his head had he not moved.
 
Youko was caught off guard when the apparition leapt forward, brandishing his sword and clearly determined to remove vital organs from his body. Repeatedly he countered the blades strike, allowing the younger demon to seemingly herd him away from the girl. Clearly the boy had plans for his, that much was obvious. Her scent covered him as well as the smell of his arousal, her bloodied form was easily explained then. No doubt she had put up one hell of a fight against being taken by this demon. However Youko couldn't care less if someone rutted with a human. What happened to the girl was of no concern to him so long as he acquired the power she contained. "This doesn't have to end in bloodshed little one. Just let me have what I came for and it all ends." Leaping back away from the apparition he knelt down, plucking a blade of grass from the ground. It took nothing but a trickle of his power to change the piece of grass into a razor sharp weapon, far more suitable for close contact fighting should the apparition insist on drawing this out.
 
It infuriated Hiei to be dismissed so easily. Clearly the kitsune didn't consider him a major threat by the tone in his voice and the casual stance he took up. The new weapon the demon wielded was of no consequence. He would defeat the kitsune and keep him away from Kagome, one way or another. "You'll have to kill me first, I won't let you touch her you bastard!" His control slipped as he charged the older demon, rational thought fleeing before his fury.
 
Bringing his grass blade up in a defensive position, the weapon absorbed much of the younger demons attack but it wasn't enough. A small cut had been made and already his white silk was staining crimson where the apparition had scored a glancing blow. What made it worse was Kuronue's taunting laughter coming from the background. No doubt the bat was finding some amusement in this, for he hadn't made a move to join in the fight yet.
 
“You let the kid cut you! Score one for the little guy."
 
Oh yes, Kuronue's mocking laughter was annoying and Youko intended on dealing with him later. However he had this young upstart to deal with first and if he wasn't careful, he'd have another reason for Kuronue to mock him.
 
Hiei continued to press his attack, gaining confidence since he had managed to score a hit on the taller demon. Driving Youko further away from Kagome he stopped as the other demon's scent hit his nose suddenly. The bastard had moved and it was then that he realized just what he had done. Attempting to correct his mistake, he began to race back towards the girl but Youko's whip wrapped around his wrist trapping him in place. Angrily he tugged at the restraint, ignoring the way the thorns had embedded painfully into his flesh.
 
Youko smiled at the barely hidden panic he saw in the apparitions eyes. "You are uncontrolled. Your fury had given me the advantage, what shall you do now youngling?" As he moved in closer he stopped suddenly, turning when he felt the presence of the wolves filling the air.
 
Kagome had remained motionless during the battle, petrified by the appearance of these two new demons. Fear consumed her as she had felt just how powerful they were against Hiei's waning strength. Yet she remained still, powerless to do anything to help him without a weapon. The best she could do was remain silent and try not to distract the apparition to much. Yet when the wolves appeared she couldn't help but shriek. They were after her blood she knew, there would be no rescue should the creatures manage to reach her and Hiei was much too far away to be of any assistance.
 
Time seemed to move in slow motion as she watched them approach and instinctively she looked about, frantic for any place she could go to escape the coming pack. Movement to the left caused her to throw herself backwards, barely evading the outstretched hand that threatened to snatch her. It would seem the Kitsune's friend had finally chosen to make his move and try for her. Blue eyes stared into violet as she began to fall backwards into the well. Pain flared through her body, protesting the sudden movement as her shoulder struck the hard wood of the well. "Hiei!" Another pain threatened to overwhelm her, it was unbearable and she couldn't stop the scream of pain that escaped her lips as it felt like a part of her soul was forcibly ripped apart. Already she could feel the magic of the well activating and knew that he wouldn't be fast enough to stop her from falling.
 
Hiei's heart clenched as he heard Kagome shriek, the sheer terror and desperation in her voice tearing at his heart. "Kagome no!" Pushing himself faster to reach the well before she disappeared from his life he shoved the winged demon out of the way. The bastard was probably waiting for her to hit bottom before he went to retrieve the jewel. It was a cold comfort knowing that the demon would never get the chance. He hit the edge of the well as the magic flared up around the priestess, his hand outstretched trying to catch hers. Fingertips brushed against each other in a fleeting caress before she was carried out of his grasp, the magic surrounding her body.
 
She was gone, he knew that with a certainty as he stared into the darkness below. Kagome was now out of his reach and he would have to wait centuries before he would see her again. 'This is not how it was supposed to end!' Blood pooled from his palms where his nails had pierced the skin, a rage like no other he had felt before coursing through his body. Someone was going to pay for tearing them apart and they would pay for it in blood.