InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ On The Night Of A Blood Red Moon ❯ Chapter 22

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: On The Night Of A Blood Red Moon
 
Author: Ryukotsusei and Cyntinell
 
Disclaimer: We do not own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho. We do however own the plot. Steal it and you shall face our wrath.
 
 
Warnings: This is a dark fic. It does have graphically detailed rape in it, as well as lemons in future chapters. It's likely to have major character deaths as well. Reviews are always appreciated, flames not tolerated. You are forewarned.
 
 
 
 
Chapter Twenty Two
 
Masakazu's hands were shaking with the rage he felt as he exited the main chamber, leaving Ryuji laying helpless on the floor in a puddle of his own blood. The dragon's treachery was not surprising however the Seer's apparent betrayal shook him to the core. If even she had turned against him how much of what had happened was orchestrated to bring about his downfall? The question hung heavy in his mind, one that he could not answer. If she had turned her back on him then no one in his group could be trusted, meaning before this night was through he would spill the blood of every being in this cave. They would all end up as lifeless corpses, a testament to his rage at being betrayed. But first, first he would deal with the little bitch who had tried to steal everything from him. By now he was positive that she was the one with control over the Sceptre and by her death the ultimate power would once more be under his control. Only then would he seek to rebuild his group with those worthy enough to join him in his quest for domination. Powerful demon's would flock to him, preferring to ally themselves with him than to stand against him.
 
But first the miko had to die. The slightest twinge of regret touched him as he thought about it. He had grown accustomed to having her around but as far as it went, she was expendable now. Especially if the Seer had been lying to him all this time. Eventually he would replace her, perhaps even taking another priestess from the Ningenkai. Where one of such power existed surely there were more to be found and if not... Well any bitch could spread their legs, willingly or not. It was her restrained powers that gave him the added thrill but it wasn't something he needed. The conclusion of this coming encounter was already decided and all that remained now was to decide how to carry it out. A cruel smirk formed on his face as he continued walking towards the cell that hid his prize. If the bitch was going to die then he would act out his wildest fantasies on her body. He had held himself largely in check until now because she would not have survived but since that was no longer an issue he saw no reason to deny himself. This would be his finest kill yet, fulfilling his ultimate desires while leaving her nothing more than a mangled corpse in the end.
 
He noticed a few of his followers lingered in the halls, watching his approach. However as he neared they quickly vanished, no doubt sensing their imminent demise. They were right to flee, the smart ones would leave the cave entirely and find a place to hide. Not that it would matter, he had every intention of hunting each one of them down later but it would give them the faintest hope they had escaped, right before he crushed the life from them. After his precious little kitten was dead, Shadow would be his next target. How he would enjoy describing every detail of her death to him, how he tore the screams from her dying body. Or perhaps he would take her to the apparition instead and force him to watch as he spilled her blood. The look of horror that would spring forth in those cold, crimson eyes would be worth it. He would reveal in the hate that Hiei had towards him as he took his body forcibly just before his death. Afterwards he would rest for a short time, allowing those who listened to believe his rage was sated. Only then, when they believed the danger had passed would he strike.
 
The wolf pack he now knew to be waiting would be troublesome but it didn't go beyond slight concern for him. Once he had the power of the Sceptre they would fall easily. Already he had plans to cover the walls with their furs, proof of what he had managed to accomplish singlehandedly. From there he would move on, determining just how he would overtake the Makai and then the Reikai. Once that fool King Enma and his annoying brat were out of the way he would be unstoppable. Forgotten would be the days where a fragile peace existed. He would bring about the dark times, the likes of which none had ever seen before.
 


Before long Masakazu was standing outside the door to Kagome's cell, taking a moment to pause before he stepped inside. This was something that he had been dreaming about for a long time while cursing the frailty of humans. Already he was becoming aroused by what he knew was to come, more so than usual when he knew he was going to be seeing the girl. The urge to take her was stronger this time in anticipation of what was to come. Briefly he wondered just how much power he would be able to channel from the miko's death. The bracelets would prevent her energy from reducing him to ash, rendering it harmless. Even so, the increase in his own power should be dramatic if he could assimilate the girl's energy into his own.
 
Pondering just how he wanted to make his entrance, he laid his hand on the wooden door. It would be simple to pop into her cell without warning, snatching her up before she had the time to react. Her fear then would be exquisite, but then again there was something to be said for the slow build up of fear she exuded when he walked into the room as if he were stalking her. Both held immense appeal to him but in the end he chose the slow approach. She should fear him and what he would do to her. No doubt she was aware of just how tenuous her position was at this time. Even warded she had to have been able to feel the Sceptre's power. How could she not know? Unless of course the Seer and Ryuji had failed to explain it to her. Perhaps they had even tricked her into it, telling her that the weapon would set her free or some such other nonsense. He couldn't see her willingly setting herself up for death such as this, not so long as she held onto the hope that Hiei would find a way to free her.
 
Twisting the doorknob slightly, he smirked at the shrill sound it made. Even if she were asleep she knew that sound and would bolt awake as she had so many other times in the past. He had no doubts that she was still in the cell, even Ryuji in his desperation would not have tried to sneak her out of the cave. Even now he could sense her deep within the room as the door swung open revealing the darkness beyond. Sometime in the recent past the lone candle that illuminated the room had burned out, leaving her alone and in the dark and furthering her fear.

The scent of her terror spiked, no doubt from seeing his silhouette in the door way. He would do nothing to alleviate that fear either, instead fueling it to greater heights. Slowly he walked over to the candle and lit it before turning towards her with a casual grace that made her tremble. Unsurprisingly the look in her eyes told him that she would not willingly submit to whatever punishment he sought to inflict. The girl knew that she would be fighting for her life and he was fully prepared to take that which he desired. With a lewd grin he readjusted his arousal which was already straining against the confines of his leather pants but to his amusement her gaze never left his own. She was wise not to allow herself to be distracted by such things. Oh yes, he was going to enjoy this immensely.


Slowly he walked towards the bars of her confinement, smiling as he did so. "You are a fool my pretty one. You should have left well enough alone, content with the status I had given you." Masakazu continued on, his mocking voice echoing off of the walls of the room. "You've been a very, very bad girl and for that you shall be punished." Kneeling in front of the bars he leaned in closer, whispering to her. "I know what you've done and now no one will be able to save you." As the words left his lips the scent of her terror spiked. Even as she tried to maintain that innocent look that was so alluring on her, he knew her words would be lies.



"I haven't done anything! I don't know what you are talking about." Kagome tried projecting confusion into her voice over the fear but even to her ears she knew she had failed in her attempt. It was impossible to conceal the fear he invoked in her and the bastard knew it. Still, she had to try, she had been through far too much now to just give up. When Masakazu reached through the bars she froze for a moment, feeling his warm fingers caressing her bare legs. When he tried to drag her closer to him however she struck out, kicking wildly at him. A small amount of satisfaction came when she saw the slight wince he gave before withdrawing. She knew that it was now or never, if he were to get his hands on her it would be all over. There wasn't much she could do, that much she knew already but if she could hold him off for a time then perhaps someone would come and save her.
 
Masakazu chuckled darkly at her attempts, she had actually scored a hit on him but the damage was negligible. If nothing else it told him she was far from broken and the spark he thought extinguished still flickered brightly. "Even though it was necessary to strip you of who you were, of everything you had been you don't know how much I longed to see the fight in you once again. The same desperate struggle within that I first saw when you came here in the beginning. The thrill you gave me each time you sought to fight me off as I used your body. Keep clinging to the thought that you have a chance, that you just might survive what I plan to do to you. It will only make taking your life that much more enjoyable in the end." Toying with her he reached for her once more, smiling cruelly as she lashed out at him once more. "You will be the first to taste my revenge for what has transpired on this night. That whore of a demon that you have grown so fond of will be my next." His keen hearing easily picked up on the whimper of Hiei's name. "Yes, Hiei will join you in death. This I promise."
 

The moment Masakazu mentioned Hiei's name her struggles ceased for a moment. Hiei was still alive but for how long she could not begin to guess. Perhaps even now he was finding a way to free them both, surely the Seer had told him of what had transpired and of what was to come. He wouldn't leave her to die, not like this.
'I swear to God if we make it through this I'm going to kill that bitch where she stands!' Anger surged through her at the woman, if only she had just found a way to let them go instead of pulling them both into this disgusting situation. Desperation kicked in as she realized that the longer she remained motionless the more vulnerable she was. 'Hiei where are you?' She needed him now more than ever and her choices of action were severely limited. The best she could hope for was in keeping the crow delayed until Hiei arrived. "Leave me alone you disgusting freak!" She pressed herself as far against the wall as she could, knowing that the little bit of distance between them would not be enough.
 
Masakazu merely laughed at her antics, knowing he could have her at any time that he wanted. However he was enjoying taunting her, though it wouldn't be long before he had to move onto more pleasurable activities. Had this girl been a demon he would have suspected she had the ability to read minds with the way she paled. One would think she could see exactly what fantasies he planned to act out on her. "But why would I want to do that my kitten? Your struggles amuse me, the desperate hope you cling to makes me hard. It's only a matter of time you know. Soon your muscles will give out and then I'll have you right where I want you. Your delicious fire will still be there but your body will betray you." Watching her move further away he shifted his own position, taking a stand at another end of the cage.


His words washed over her cruelly and she came to the realization that he was indeed right. As long as she kept fighting like this she was wasting her energy and from the exhaustion she was already feeling she knew that it wouldn't take long before she was completely helpless. How was she to defend herself then when he came into the cell? It was inevitable that he do so, she couldn't prevent it from happening. But if she could fool him into believing that she was helpless, she might be able to hit him with a lucky shot and escape. Knowing it was her only chance she allowed her attacks to slow while keeping her murderous gaze on him, hoping he wouldn't realize what it was that she had planned. She had to make him believe her body was already giving out, not completely unreasonable considering how weak he kept her with lack of food. "I won't give up! Stay away from me or I'll kill you!"


Raising an eyebrow Masakazu gazed at her in amusement. "Kill me? Just how do you plan to do that human? You are weak. Helpless. No one can save you, not even yourself. You have stolen something from me and I will take it back. It's a shame that I have to kill you but those are the consequences of your actions. I can always find another like you, better than you, to please me. You have failed in what you have set out to do, it wouldn't surprise me if the Gods turn from you, casting you down into the pits of hell for your failure. I'll take great pleasure in sending you to be judged, consider it a parting gift. Something to remember me by." He could plainly see the way her muscles quivered with each movement, protesting any further action. The time to act was nearly upon him, he had only a few seconds to wait.
 
Seeing her falter he lashed out, grabbing a hold of her ankle and pulling her towards him. However when he hand reached out in an effort to pull his grip open, he switched tactics and held onto her wrist. Pulling her forward he was pleased to hear her cry of pain as she collided with the cold metal bars, a resounding pop filling the air as he dislocated her shoulder. He dropped her to the ground as tears of pain streaked down her face. "Hurts does it not? This is merely the beginning I assure you, playtime is over." Standing suddenly he pulled the keys from a pocket, thrusting it into the lock and turning it quickly. Even now the girl was trying to crawl away from him but her newest injury caused her progress to be slow.
 



Kagome watched the door swing open, already anticipating the charge that Masakazu had in mind. By some miracle she had managed to pull herself to her feet but as he came within range she dropped to the ground, mindful of her shoulder which was screaming in protest of any movement. As expected his momentum carried him past her and she swept out with a leg, slamming it into the back of his knees causing him to drop. Knowing she couldn't give him a moment to recover she rolled, driving the elbow of her good arm into his kidneys praying it would keep him down long enough for her to press her attack. Hearing his grunt of pain she knew she had hit her mark, and it gained her a few precious seconds. She needed to delay him long enough to make it outside the room and find Hiei. Together they were far more likely to be able to stand against Masakazu, she wasn't foolish enough to think she could do this on her own. Rising to her feet she had only moments before the crow attempted to move. As he turned his head to look at her she kicked out, striking him full in the face which caused him to fall backwards, his head cracking against the bars. Giving him another solid kick to be certain he stayed down she turned and fled through the open cage door. Her knowledge of the lair was vague but it was her only chance.
 
Sprinting as quickly as she could, she nearly rejoiced when she made it outside of the cell. Perhaps the Gods were finally aiding her in her plight. Whatever the reason she would not squander this opportunity. As she ran she glanced back towards the cell, needing to reassure herself that Masakazu's crumpled body was still lying there unconscious. Relief flooded through her at seeing he hadn't moved. She let out a small but nervous laugh as she continued to run, this madman that had invoked terror in her for so long had been taken out easily. She could already taste her freedom, now all she needed to do was find Hiei and they would be free. Focusing on the task at hand she ran towards the location she thought she would likely find him. Opening a door to a side passage quickly she rushed through it, only to feel something hard connect with her face. Blackness threatened to overwhelm her even as her legs gave out from under her. Falling to the floor heavily, she screamed in pain as her injured arm collided with the stone floor harshly. Fighting to retain consciousness she barely made out the form of Masakazu towering over her.


Masakazu wiped the blood away from his face that was dripping from his nose. "You stupid little bitch. Did you really think I would not expect you to attack? You played right into my hands!" Inhaling deeply he relished the scent of disbelief and fear the girl gave off, his eyes glazing over in rapture. Hearing her move he quickly came back to his senses, approaching the fallen woman who was slowly backing away from him, her eyes widened in terror. Moving quickly he kicked her in the side, hearing a rib crack under the force. Her good arm wrapped around her midsection as she curled up in a ball, attempting to protect her vulnerable midsection. Hearing her gasp desperately for air gave him a feeling of power, knowing should he will it she would never breath again. Reaching down he grabbed her injured arm, yanking her up off of the ground ignoring the scream of agony. He could hear the muscles tearing under the strain but it did not concern him as he brought her up mere inches from his face.

'Stupid Kagome, stupid, stupid, stupid!'She continued berating herself even as she hung from her useless arm. She had made a fatal mistake in her attempt to escape, she should have made certain he was incapacitated before trying to leave. Instead she let her terror overwhelm her and cause her to leave him behind when he was fully capable of coming after her. It was a mistake she knew she would pay for with her life and that of her unborn child. 'I'm sorry little one, I wasn't strong enough to protect you.' As she looked into Maskazu's cold eyes she knew the end was near. Soon he would continue and unfortunately she knew of the cruelty he would inflict. Rebellion flared in her once more as he pulled her close, causing her to spit in his face. Her final act of defiance. It would have to suffice, for she could do no more.
 
Kagome watched with almost a detached interest as he wiped his face before he carried her back towards the cell she had escaped from. Her lungs burned with the desperate need for air but she couldn't breath like she needed to, the ache in her ribs was far to strong. She closed her eyes to the pain, waiting for the agony to end when she felt herself flying through the air. A groan escaped as her body impacted with the steel bars, signaling her return to her prison. Fire raced through her body, unable to cope with the multitude of injuries she was gaining. Strangely enough, no injury had occurred to her abdomen. No pain radiated there, even though she knew with what she was going through by all rights was enough to kill her child. Perhaps Kouga was doing what little he could to insure the childs survival for as long as possible. Any further contemplation was halted as Masakazu advanced, grabbing her by the throat to lift her off the ground. What little clothing she had was being torn from her body, dropping to the ground in a shredded heap.


Pinning her nude body against the wall Masakazu stared at her body, trying to decide just where he wished to touch her first. Leaning in closely his breath ghosted along her ear, a shudder racing through her body. "Your death will be a slow one my pet but rest assured, you will not live to see the sunrise." Dropping her to the floor once more his hands drifted to his belt, slowly undoing it before her eyes. As she kicked him again, he decided to put her in her place. Without mercy he drove his boot into her back, kicking her across the floor. Feebly she tried to protect herself with her arms but to no avail. Soon blood flowed from numerous cuts to her face and body and he showed no sign of stopping.
 


Closing her eyes Kagome wished for the darkness to take her, at least then she wouldn't feel what he was doing. She wouldn't know what was coming. Fate had other plans for her though as he continued his assault. "Just.... get ... it ...... over .....with" Kagome's voice was barely a whisper but it was the strongest tone she could pull forth. Even that little effort caused pain as blood dripped from her lips with every word she spoke. She refused to look at him as she felt his weight pressing down on her chest. It was time she knew as she felt his arousal pressed against her thigh. It was only by the grace of the Gods that he was still fully clothed but she had no hope that would last for long. No, now she was looking forward to it for the sooner he finished the sooner she could find the peace she so longed for.
 
 
"Move away from her so I can kill you."
 
Kagome tensed at the voice, unable to determine just who it was through the haze of pain swimming in her head. Sleep, she needed to sleep but something prevented her from doing so. A strange warmth flooded the room and as she forced her eyes to open she could see the flickering of flames dance upon the wall. It was comforting somehow, she just wished she knew who it was and if they were there to save her. The power radiating off of the newcomer was immense and apparently a force to be reckoned with by the way Masakazu tensed over her.


His eyes narrowed dangerously as he took in Hiei's appearance. It was something he had not expected, the apparition no longer fettered by the chains of his imprisonment. Determined not to show the fear he felt, Masakazu smiled cockily. "You saved me a trip to see you Shadow. How thoughtful of you to come, offering your life along side that of your lover." Cautiously he rose to his feet, leaving Kagome to lay there bleeding upon the floor. He could sense something different now inside the apparition and refused to give Hiei any advantage. He would keep this bitches body close by to negate any possible attacks the apparition might launch.
 
"Don't make me repeat myself you twisted bastard." Hiei's voice was low and dangerous, clearly indicating the raw fury that simmered just beneath the surface. What the crow was doing was something he had anticipated but at the same time he had held hope that for once Masakazu would be unpredictable and move away from her. As it stood there was no way he could risk attacking the other demon, not with Kagome right in the line of fire. Masakazu had a definite advantage on him and the bastard knew it.
 
Masakazu laughed then, amused by the high handed attitude that had seemingly come over the younger demon. There was no way his little whore would attack, not when the little Miko bitch was right at his feet. "Surely you jest Shadow. Why would I move away from her? She makes an excellent shield you know." To further antagonize Hiei he prodded at the girl's prone form, drawing forth an agonized groan. "Her sounds of pain are delicious don't you think?" His eyes narrowed as Hiei took a step towards him. "Yes, come closer. Every step you take brings her that much closer to death. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe you do want the little whore dead. Why don't we find out, come watch as I destroy her life!"
 
Hiei stopped advancing, uncertain for a moment on what his next move should be. If he continued, no doubt Masakazu would kill her right in front of him. Yet by the same token he knew the bastard wouldn't want to make it quick. He'd gone on for far too long about just what he planned to do to the both of them to make it an easy death. Knowing he was taking a gamble, Hiei made his decision all the while praying he wasn't sending Kagome to her death. Schooling a look of indifference upon his face, he relaxed slightly. "Go ahead Masakazu. You really do think I care for the likes of her? She was a means to an end, nothing more. Once she is dead I will take my freedom by killing you. I don't need that human any longer. She was a good fuck and served to fool you quite nicely." Now he just had to hope that the crow believed him or all would be lost. If it worked, the bastard would no longer have to hide behind the girl like the coward he was. Explaining this to Kagome later however was a completely different story, assuming she was conscious enough to understand what he had said.
 
Masakazu stared at him in disbelief for a moment before snorting his derision. "You take me for a fool Shadow. You would be doing well to remember that right now she is the only thing that is keeping you alive. I know that you are bluffing. No, you are the fool for allowing a human to steal your heart as well as what little backbone you had. If she truly meant nothing to you then you would have attacked by now!" Confidence radiated off of him as he stared at the Hybrid but when Hiei's expression didn't waver a small tendril of doubt began to creep in.
 
The scent in the room had become revolting to him, the smell of fear, lust and defiance hung thick in the air intertwined with the blood which flowed from Kagome's many wounds. Hiei could almost taste it and wanted nothing more than to take her from this place. The tension was climbing to a fever pitch though and the outcome could only mean death, possibly for all three of them. Hiei's crimson gaze trailed down to the helpless girl on the floor, noticing how her shivering had become near constant. Blood loss and remaining on the cool stone floor were affecting her badly and it wouldn't be too long before she went into shock if something was not done soon. Knowing it was now or never Hiei made his move, praying to whatever God that was listening that his gamble would pay off. A tiny spark of flame rose from his fingertips, suspended effortlessly in the air. Smirking at Masakazu with a confidence he did not feel he threw the ball of fire at Kagome.
 
Masakazu's eyes widened as he saw the attack launched and in that instant he knew that it was meant for the girl, not him. He had a split second to make his decision, knowing that if he allowed it to connect with the girl then he would be denied that which he had planned for her. All those fantasies, her screaming in agony as he brutalized her body would be over, unattainable. Moving quickly he deflected the small blast, sending it crashing into the wall where it fared briefly before dying out. He refused to let this worthless abomination rob him of the girl's death! That attack had not been expected and the seeds of doubt Hiei had planted in his mind grew with a flourish as he tried to figure out just why the apparition had attacked the girl who he had thought meant so much to him.
 
Even though he showed no outward signs, Hiei couldn't help but feel relieved that Masakazu had done as he had expected. Had he not, he would have extinguished the flames immediately but it was a forgone conclusion that she would have been injured in the attack before he could stop it. While it had been a huge gamble with her safety, it had indeed left the impression he wanted if the look in the crow's eyes were anything to go by. The bastard's disbelief was evident, unable to accept what had just happened. "I'm surprised you saved her. Regardless, I shall have what I want in the end, my freedom. Quit hiding behind her and fight me or are you too much of a coward?"
 
Taking a step backwards from the advancing apparition, Masakazu glanced down at the girl who had her eyes clenched shut. Things were no longer going according to plan and he desperately needed time to think. His guarantee of control was no more and he disliked being on such uncertain terms. One thing was for certain, he couldn't allow Hiei to take her away. Even if the hybrid didn't give a damn about her she still controlled the Sceptre. If he lost her, he lost it all. Seeing Hiei lunged towards him he leapt back, grabbing the girl up off of the floor and pulling her close.
 
Hiei watched in frustration as Masakazu's form blurred and then disappeared, taking Kagome with him. The bastard had teleported out of the room and he could not follow using the same means. Cursing in anger Hiei began running. The likelihood was that they were still within the cave and by Masakazu's protective act towards her, Hiei doubted that the crow would kill her right away unless he was taking her to the Sceptre. If that were the case he would kill her quick just to obtain the power of the sceptre and he knew if that were to happen there was no way he would be able to stand up to the bastard then. Hesitation was not an option as Hiei raced down the hallways, pausing only long enough to find himself a suitable weapon. While he wouldn't mind bathing his claws in Masakazu's blood, he wasn't going to be caught unprepared again.
 
Following the faint scent of Kagome's blood, eventually he found the room that they were both in. A quick glance over to Kagome who had been discarded so carelessly on the floor much like a broken doll assured him that she was still alive for the moment, even if her breathing was labored. Moving so that he was standing directly in front of Masakazu, he drew the blade he had procured and glared at the crow. "There is no where to run asshole. Stand and fight."
 
Drawing his own sword Masakazu assumed a defensive position and waited for Hiei to make a move. "I should have let her burn, letting you do the work for me but then again I can't fuck a charred piece of flesh can I? Once I kill you I'll be sure to tell her all about how you tried killing her, how she meant nothing more to you than a piece of ass." He watched closely, hoping to see that his words had struck a nerve so he could use the younger demon's anger against him. "If you want my blood so badly then come and take it if you can!" Now that Hiei's bonds were gone Masakazu knew that he had to keep the hybrid fighting with the sword. If he were to use his natural abilities, his chances of survival were slim.
 
Tired of hearing the crow speak, Hiei lunged forward hoping to catch the other demon off guard. Time after time he lashed out, steel meeting steel in a contest of wills. The sounds of the battle filling the room and spilling out into the chambers beyond. Sweat began to form on Hiei's brow as he once more attempted to destroy the man who had made them suffer so greatly. He was not accustomed to the weight of the blade and the strain his muscles had undergone in his imprisonment certainly had not helped matters. Frustration coiled tightly within him as the fight dragged on. Masakazu had yet to go on the offensive, content to merely fend off his attacks and feint in the attempt to expose a weakness. If it wasn't for the hatred that sparked through his entire body and the need to make the other demon suffer Hiei would have given the idea up as hopeless.
 
Masakazu watched the hybrid as the battle wore on. The youngster's attacks were crude and predictable, just has he had anticipated. Though the apparition had lived with them for years, he had made certain the boys knowledge of the blade was limited at best. When he found that Hiei had acquired a katana and had been practicing in secret he had confiscated the weapon and punished him mercilessly. That lack of training showed in his movements, at the moment he was content to bide his time and wait.
 
Hiei caught himself before he stumbled, unaccustomed to the way the sword cut through the air. He knew that his balance was off and it was a strain to control the blade. It was only a matter of time before his body gave out, unable to keep up with the furious pace that had been set early on. Sooner or later, a fatal mistake would be made that would cost him and Kagome their lives. He had to end this game of cat and mouse now, he was tired of being Masakazu's prey. He backed away for a moment, hoping to catch his breath. Silently cursing under his breath he noticed how Masakazu wasn't even breathing hard. The bastard hadn't even broken a sweat yet and here he was, close to exhaustion. "Why won't you fight me you bastard. Are you a coward? Thinking you could not beat me without resorting to lowly tactics?" Goading the other demon into reacting was his best option at this point.
 
"Why would I do that Shadow? I'm enjoying watching you exhaust yourself with these pathetic attempts on my life. Soon the time will come and I shall end your suffering. No more will you have to suffer the hardships of life and then, she will soon follow you." All the while Masakazu kept his position in front of the girl for added security. Even with the display the apparition had given earlier, he still found it unlikely that Hiei would use any of his inherent abilities while she was in the line of fire. For now he would watch the apparition grasp at the fleeting hope that he could possibly win, just before he crushed him like an insignificant insect.
 
Knowing that the longer they stood in a stalemate the more likely it was that Kagome would succumb to her injuries, Hiei lept forward once again. As before the blade was deflected but he wouldn't allow that to deter him. A hint of movement caught his attention but he refused to tear his eyes away from his opponent. As he moved to the side, he got a better view of just what that movement was. A figure was rising slowly in the adjoining room. Based on the build he knew that it was Ryuji, for none had quite the same stature as the dragon. The metallic scent of blood was thick in the air, some demon and some from another source. He couldn't quite place it at the moment but he knew he had other things to worry about. Hope began to rise once more as he considered the possibility that Ryuji would aid him in this battle. He knew there was no love lost between the two and since the Dragon was injured it was likely Masakazu that had caused it.
 
Taking a chance he lunged once more, catching Masakazu slightly off guard which drew his wavering attention. If the Dragon were to be of any help, he had to keep the crow distracted as much as possible. Granted, there was no honor in killing a man that had his back to you but at the moment a question of honor was not his foremost concern. If Masakazu learned of the predicament he was in the bastard would teleport away from the danger and they'd be back at square one.
 
When it looked as if his attention was wavering Hiei held up one hand, allowing it to be encased in black flames. As predicted Masakazu's gaze jerked back to him and he never saw the twin daggers cutting through the air towards him. As steel met flesh, Masakazu dropped to his knees with a agonized scream, Ryuji's treasured daggers embedded deeply into his thigh. Hiei wasted no time in launching another attack upon the fallen demon, not giving him time to recover. Once Masakazu took half a moment to calm himself his disappearance was assured and that could not be allowed to happen. Time stood still, as if they had all been taken into the dream realm as he reached out, grabbing the crow by the throat. Pressing his blade against Masakazu's pale flesh he began his cut with a surgeons precision.
 
Blood gushed as the skin separated under the pressure of the blade, filling his lungs and making it impossible for him to breath. Weakly he grasped at the hybrid in front of him, hoping to fend off this final attack but his resolve weakened to near nothingness as the blade hit bone. In a final effort he grasped his own blade and attempted to plunge it into Hiei's body but the apparition avoided it easily.
 
Hiei stared into eyes glazed with death as the crow dropped his sword, the weapon clattering harmlessly upon the ground. Even in death the bastard wore a twisted grin, as if amused by something that only he was aware of. Dropping the body to the ground once he was satisfied that Masakazu was no longer among the living he made his way over to Kagome, checking to make sure she was still alive. Blood smeared underneath his fingers as he checked her pulse, feeling it beat strongly beneath his finger tips even though her body was shivering from the shock of what had happened. Never taking his eyes off of Ryuji he quickly snatched a discarded article of clothing off of a nearby chair, knowing it was likely to be large enough to accommodate her body and provide some warmth. Satisfied that she was adequately covered for the moment he turned to Ryuji and asked the foremost question burning in his mind. "Why? Why did you help us?

Ryuji stared at the hybrid, grimacing his disgust at the care he showed to the girl. His head ached abominably and he was in no mood to play twenty questions with the other demon. "He was a pompass ass and the world is better off now that he is gone."
Hiei knew there was likely to be more to it than that but he didn't push for any further answers. He merely nodded, accepting the response before casting a speculative eye upon the dragon. Yes, Ryuji was injured but he didn't seem to be too much worse for wear. "Can you heal her?" He tried not to show too much emotion in front of the man but he knew that he failed miserably when he saw the look of disgust directed his way.

"Now why in the hell would I want to do that? She's been a curse ever since the day she arrived and it will be a cold day in hell before I heal that bitch ever again. Let her die, human's are beneath us." Ryuji stepped forward, intending on delivering the death blow to the girl regardless of Hiei's presence but a distant sound stopped him. Smiling cruelly he met Hiei's defiant eyes once more. "Masakazu is dead and with it, the barrier. The wolves come now and they thirst for her blood. That pathetic wolf who gave his life for her could not have foreseen his pack coming to avenge his death with hers. Soon they will arrive and you will be powerless to stop them from killing her and everyone else in this place. They will do the hard part for me and once they have cleansed this lair I will rebuild it. I will surpass the glory that Masakazu had brought to this place."

Fury filled Hiei once more and he had to restrain the will to attack the man before him. There was no way he could take Ryuji on at the moment, even if his words were that of a madman. As he watched the dragon leave he heard the approach of unfamiliar footsteps. Gathering a ball of flame in his hand he launched it down the corridor and watched it dance along the stone walls, flaring brightly. It had been warning enough, the unfamiliar sounds rapidly retreating.

Turning his attention to Kagome he gently touched her face but she did not awaken. The damage she had suffered was extensive but she was stubbornly clinging to life. Slowly he gathered her into his arms, careful not to jostle her any more than necessary while he raised his ki slightly. With her temperature so unstable he had to be careful, if he were to raise it too fast it would likely kill her. It would destroy him to lose her now, after they had been through so much together. However if Ryuji was going to refuse his aid, he knew that she would need to seek help elsewhere. Someplace it was likely he could not follow. Pushing those thoughts aside he held her to his body for several long moments before setting off for the entrance of the cave.
 
It was slow going, slinking in the shadows and avoiding the carnage that was taking place so close to them. Had anyone else attempted this they would have been caught easily. However one did not live in the shadows as he had without learning every single nook and cranny of the lair. Avoiding yet another wolf, he made his way down a rarely used hallway. How they were not picking up on their smell he wasn't certain. He could only imagine it was because the scent of blood was so thick in the air and was helping to disguise them.
 
Finally the entrance was in sight yet he didn't advance just yet. Cautiously he looked around, seeking any sign of Ryuji. It was as if the dragon had vanished into thin air with the appearance of the wolves. Seeing no one to deter him he made his way through the entrance and was enveloped in the moonlight streaming through the trees. Glancing up at the moon he was surprised to see that it was red, much like the blood that ran so freely through the lair. Hearing sounds coming from behind him he took off, whispering an apology to the girl in his arms. He knew that this trip had to hurt, even if she wasn't conscious enough to voice any complaints. The way she groaned and clung to him told him that much.

Pausing slightly when he knew that they were far enough away to be safe for the moment he touched her face, watching her eyes flutter open. Staring deep into those blue eyes so filled with pain and confusion he tried to reassure her. "We are free Kagome but we still aren't safe yet. Hold on, I'll make sure no one shall touch you again." Shifting his grip he began to make his way towards the well where he hoped they would be able to get through. He wasn't sure how he would deal with the loneliness should it deny him passage but he would endure if he must. After all, three hundred years was nothing to a demon. One way or another if they were separated, he would find her again.
 
~*~


Deep within the forest two shadows sat silently, intrigued by the sounds of death that could be heard in the distance. Ki flared violently as they waited, unsure of what would cause such a violent uprising. To their knowledge all had been silent, save for some minor skirmishes. Perhaps that was all this was, and not worthy of their attention. A blood curdling scream cut through the air, making their eyes widen in surprise. "What the fuck was that?"
 
A chuckle was the response, surely hearing such a thing would not startle him that badly. They had after all been through much worse. Hell, they had been the cause of much worse. "Does it matter? If you are so inclined go and check it out."
 
Hesitation then. Was this something they really needed to become involved in? He enjoyed causing trouble as much as the next demon but at the levels of power that were being displayed now this was surely to catch the Reikai's attention. "I don't know if that's a good idea."
 
Amusement coursed through him as he watched the other. A day he had never thought to encounter, when the demon before him was reluctant to rush headlong into danger. "And you tell me I have no sense of adventure."

Glaring at his companion, he pitched a rock towards the man who dodged it easily. "Fuck you, I'm the one always convincing you when it's time to act. Don't tell me I'm the hesitant one in this operation."
 
"Alright, you win on that point. But think about it, a disturbance like this will draw Enma's attention and if there are any spoils to be had he will take them. Are you sure you don't want to take something right out from under his nose? Besides, I thought you loved a good fight." Knowing he had his friend's attention he jumped down, the only sound of his passing was the silk brushing against his skin. It took only moments before his dark companion joined him, securing his weapons in place.
 
"I guess you are right, there is no harm in looking."