InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Blue Anshan ❯ The Rescue 1 - A New Quest ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Blue Anshan

By Alesyira

Sequel to Shippo and the Magic Wand.

Canon Universe(s), Divergence into AU, Crossover.

(Action, Adventure, Angst, Drama, Mystery, Paranormal, Romance, eventual MA content, Scifi.)

Summary: Sometimes life hurls a curveball at you...

Chapter Rating: G. This is a pretty mild chapter.

Disclaimer: Inuyasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi, and Yu Yu Hakusho is owned by Togashi Yoshihiro. OCs are my own. I make no profit from this piece of fiction.

Author's NoteI'd like to thank Quirkyslayer for her beta help. Originally posted 02/13/07.

Arc 4 - The Rescue 1 - A New Quest

the present

The bus hummed a lulling sound as it traveled along the long road leading away from the grocery store. Kagome's fingers loosely curled around the small paper sacks as she stared out the tinted window at the pedestrians they passed. The trees lining the street were bright with fresh new leaves that rustled with a gentle breeze. The sun shone brightly in the sky, and Kagome knew she should feel at peace.

Today was practically a perfect day... only it wasn't.

That morning she woke feeling fine, considering her circumstances. The physical alterations she'd undergone last summer had changed more than her appearance; she had to completely change her lifestyle to hide her new parasitic 'pet.' So, she dressed in a long-sleeved shirt and pants without regard to how warm it might be outside.

Swimming suits, exercise outfits, and sleeveless dresses were no longer an option in public. Her friends ―or at least the few she had not yet alienated― believed she suffered from extensive scarring related to one of her many terrible (imaginary) skin afflictions, and with as many diseases her grandfather had thrown at school officials, she didn't need to make any new excuses for her odd behavior.

Last summer hadn't been so terrible, because most of the Anshan had been incinerated during the final battle with Naraku. Unfortunately for her, she had such a lengthy bout of sickness after Shippo's departure that she had hardly been able to leave the house.

Yet, it didn't matter how much of a social life she couldn't have because of her new conditions. Kagome had a very difficult time leaving the shrine for even the shortest errands because of her grandfather. His health had shown no signs of improving, so the hospital and his doctor made arrangements for him to spend his remaining time with his family at the shrine. He could barely speak, but the mere sight of his family brought a smile to his wrinkled face.

Her mother and brother had done their best to help her adjust to her new life and social limitations. Her mother had purchased a new wardrobe of long-sleeved shirts and comfortable pants to conceal most of the vine, and her brother helped by covering for her when friends stopped by. But recently, her personal worries had faded into the background as all three Higurashis worked to make his last days as happy as they could be. Kagome was thankful that he wasn't in pain, but his body was frail, and he grew weaker every day.

Every time that Kagome had to go somewhere, she fought the nagging fear that she would not be present for his final moments.

Her bags slid forward and nearly fell from her lap as the bus slowed near Kagome's stop, drawing her from her sullen thoughts. She blinked and looked around, realizing that she was the last person on the bus. "Have a good afternoon," the driver said as she slowly stepped down onto the sidewalk, her packages held carefully in one arm.

"Thank you," she replied, smiling over her shoulder at the aging man. As she walked the block and a half to the shrine steps, her gaze barely left the pavement. She turned left and strode up the lengthy stairway without losing her smooth pace until her younger brother came into sight.

He stood near the Goshinboku staring up into the branches, a broom held loosely between his clasped hands. "Slacking, Souta?" she teased as she neared him. He turned toward her, and the marginal good mood she'd had shifted into immediate concern at his expression. She almost ran to meet him, panic welling inside her at the terrible possibilities. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know," he replied, turning back around to look at the ancient god tree. "Something feels wrong, and the leaves never turn brown this time of year..."

Kagome frowned in confusion and gave the groceries to him. She watched him from the corner of her eye as he took the food inside, then she walked toward the short fence circling the old tree. "What's wrong?" she repeated, placing her palm against the rough bark.

"It is fortunate that you have returned, child." The voice of the Goshinboku flowed through her like a warm mist, the tingle of ancient energy tickling the small hairs on her nape.

The first time she'd heard the ancient tree's voice, she thought she'd been delusional with fever. The strange sickness that had plagued her before the final battle with Naraku had returned with a vengeance, lasting nearly two weeks after her return to the modern era. She'd fought a rollercoaster ride of fevers and chills, horrible bouts of nausea, and unrelenting waves of dizziness. It was seemingly only alleviated after she'd managed to escape her mother's well-intentioned clutches to wander outside in a half-daze. She'd slumped against the trunk of the old tree and the whispering voice had comforted and lulled her into a restful sleep. (She had a suspicion that the same 'treatment' had happened before, as well.)

Her newfound ability to "speak with plants" seemed to be confined to only the Goshinboku, which was probably a very good thing. Hearing the trampled grass whine everyday about inconsiderate pedestrians would probably give her a permanent migraine. (not to mention the aftermath of routine lawn maintenance) She'd spent countless afternoons under the shade of the ancient tree, listening to endless tales of heroism and historic adventures across the eras. Her mother and brother told passersby that, as the priestess of the shrine, it was to be expected that she would be so absorbed in her meditations that she may not take notice of others.

The Goshinboku had a very interesting series of stories regarding her friends. She was happy to learn that the taijiya clan had slowly recovered its numbers and spread throughout the land, remaining carefully hidden away from their enemies as they honed their skills and weapons. She was amused by the silly mishaps that had occurred during the construction of the new shrine, mostly because Shippo had been fooling around irresponsibly near the unsuspecting builders. She had been terribly sad to hear the story of Inuyasha and Kikyo's strange disappearance. The Goshinboku had a few pieces of information regarding where they'd gone, but their final resting place remained veiled in mystery.

She was upset to learn of the Great War that had eventually forced the hand of the Gods in creating the barrier that separated the humans from the youkai. She hoped that Shippo hadn't fallen in one of those battles for dominance, but the ancient tree had no information regarding his current whereabouts. It had been able to tell her a few (possibly embellished) tales of Shippo's adventures across the oceans, but only because those particular stories had grown so famous that they'd traveled by word-of-mouth back to the area.

"Child, there is a matter of grave importance that you must attend to in the other realm," the Goshinboku's now-familiar voice interrupted her thoughts.

Kagome blanched in shock. "Wh-what?" she stammered, glancing back toward her house to ensure their continued privacy. She'd never had the desire to traipse around in a realm full of creatures that feared and despised her miko abilities, nor had she thought she'd ever come across such an unfortunate opportunity that it would be necessary.

"I have not been whole for nearly four centuries, for my form could not exist solely in either realm. I used a great portion of the energy stored in my roots to split myself between the two realms. My consciousness spans both halves, and it is the sole reason I have access to information on the other side of the barrier."

"What would I need to do there?" Kagome asked, her fingers clenched nervously in the folds of her loose-fitting shirt.

"My other half is in distress. A youkai has targeted it for uncertain reasons. If enough damage is caused... both halves will cease to live. You must make haste, for there is not much time."

Her protest died on her tongue as a dried brown leaf fluttered past her nose. Her grandfather had very little time left, and just when she'd been almost certain that she'd be quest-free to build her own life...? A wave of sadness and regret caused her lip to tremble and her eyes to water.

"Do not mourn for those who have not yet passed," the tree whispered.

'I need to have faith that Grandpa will have enough fire left in him to scowl at me for taking off on another dangerous quest.' Kagome firmed her expression and straightened her posture. "I'll do my best. How do I get to the other realm?"

Kagome rushed inside, barely taking enough time to kick off her shoes before running upstairs. Souta was in the kitchen, washing vegetables. "Sis!" he shouted, coming to the doorway. "If you spend all day staring at Goshinboku, you'll never get dinner made!"

She pulled a worn backpack from her closet and rummaged around under her bed for the smooth leather of her quiver. Her unstrung bow stood behind her door. If she carried it like that while she remained within the Ningenkai, the bow would draw far less attention and might pass for a polished walking stick. "Souta, I need you up here," she called from her doorway. She'd already packed a change of clothes and a first-aid kit by the time he'd appeared at her door.

He took a glance at the pack and her determined expression, and immediately assumed she was going back down the well. "But you said you can't go back! The well―"

"The well is inactive. I can't go back in time," she interrupted, stopping for a moment to stare down at her belongings with an expression of remorse. Her gaze traveled around the room, resting for a moment on a small collage of old photographs depicting her lost friends. She glanced next to them at a small wooden bowl Shippo had carved for her and had to blink back tears.

"Then where...?" Souta knew she'd estranged most of her friends over the last few years, especially since she'd finally come back for good, so he was at a loss for ideas.

"The Makai."

"What? What's the-?"

Kagome interrupted him again. "I'll be back as soon as I can. This is something I can't ignore or put off until tomorrow. In fact―" She paused and snapped her arm out far enough to jerk the sleeve away from the watch at her wrist. "I need to catch my bus in fifteen minutes."

"But Mom... she's supposed to be home in an hour. What do I tell her?"

"Tell her a friend called in a panic about an evil spirit in her house."

"What? She's not going to believe..."

"But it's almost true." Kagome pulled her backpack shut and slung it and her secured bow case over her shoulder. "Listen, here's the short explanation: The Goshinboku is being attacked by a demon in the Makai. The Makai is a realm that is parallel to ours, and happens to be where all the demons were banished to some four hundred years ago. I don't care what you tell Mom, just don't worry her. She's already stressed and depressed enough about Grandpa."

"Geez, Sis." Souta followed her down the stairs and watched her pull on her shoes. "Come back in one piece, okay? You don't have Inuyasha to back you anymore."

She turned and smiled at him fondly. "I'll be alright. I've got a stingy, parasitic plant that eats youkai for breakfast, remember?"

He rolled his eyes and pushed her hand away from ruffling his messy hair. "Yeah, yeah."

She glanced down the hallway at her grandfather's door, left slightly ajar. She was unwilling to step into his room to say goodbye for fear of the guilt that would keep her from leaving. "I'll be back soon. Promise me you won't let them worry, squirt."

"You got it. Go before you're late!" He ushered her out the door and watched her run down the shrine stairs. A wind blew a swirl of brown leaves across the yard, and his gaze was drawn to the ancient boughs that rustled loudly with dying foliage.