InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Truth Be Told ❯ Chapter 4: Confusion ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho and never will, no matter how much I wish I did.

-T-R-U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D--T-R-U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D--T-R- U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D--T-R-U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D-

Chapter 4: Confusion

Normal POV
After explaining to Kagome how they all met and the fact that Yusuke and the others are Spirit Detectives, Kagome cracks up laughing.
“What’s so funny about that?” Botan asks annoyed.
“S-sorry, I-it’s ju-just hard to ima-gin Yusuke fighting d-de-mons!” And with that said Kagome goes into another bout of giggles.
“Fighting what?” Kuwabara asks, unable to decipher what Yusuke's cousin said because of her laughter.
Kagome tries to calm herself down so she can answer, but Kurama beats her to it.
“Demons, Kuwabara. She said demons.”
“Thanks Kurama.” Kagome says. “So, I suppose you wanna here my story ne?” She asks, stretching out on her bed almost cat-like.
The others nod.
“One rule, no interruptions. Questions come at the end of my story.” Kagome requests.
“Deal.” Yusuke says quickly, wanting to hear what his cousin has been up to.
“Okay then. It all started on my fifteenth birthday when I was pulled down the bone-eaters well by a centipede demon.” Ignoring the snickers from Yusuke and Kawabara, Kagome continues. “When I finally pulled myself out of the well I found myself not in the well house…”
Kagome continues her story with Botan gasping and laughing at the right places, a couple grins from Kurama at the mention of Shippou and his tricks, and of course the expected off-timing snickering from Yusuke and Kuwabara.
“I always knew that well was bad!” Yusuke exclaims.
Kagome rolls her eyes. “It’s not evil Yusuke. It’s just a time portal.”
“My fathers going to kill me! How could I have overlooked a time portal like this!” Koenma complains.
“Calm down Koenma, it’s not that bad. Besides, if the portal never worked then most likely the world wouldn’t be as we know it now. So in this case it’s a good thing.” Botan says.
A sharp gasp from Kagome startles everyone.
“What’s wrong Kagome?” Yusuke asks worriedly.
“Shippou…” Kagome whispers, before dashing off through the window to the well house.
“Somebody go with her! What are you waiting for!” Koenma shouts.
Yusuke runs out of her room followed by Kuwabara, while Botan pulls out her oar and uses the window, Kurama also goes out the window.
Yusuke nervously opens the well house door.
“Urameshi, this place gives me the creeps.” Kuwabara mutters.
“Tell me about it. This whole place just screams ‘evil’. Probably because grandpa never cleans the place.” Yusuke says, stepping carefully down the steps in order to reach the well. “Even Souta’s afraid of this place.”
“Whoa, creepy.” Botan’s voice drifts down to the boys. “Are you two okay in there?”
“Just fine Botan.” Yusuke replies, almost jumping when he hears a board creak.
“You can’t tell me you’re scared Yusuke, after all the other junk you’ve been through. This should be nothing.” Botan says.
“Listen, this place has given me the creeps ever since I was little, I’m not about to get over it in just a few seconds!” Yusuke yells.
Kuwabara suddenly trips and knocks Yusuke into the well after screaming, ‘RAT!’ at the top of his lungs, only to find out it was Buyo rubbing up against his leg.
“A kitty! Hey Urameshi where are you? Urameshi? Come on man this isn’t funny!” Kuwabara looks around the room for Yusuke.
“He went down the well Kuwabara. Since he’s Kagome’s cousin he was able to go through.” Kurama says.
“But Kagome said one of the wishes was for the well to be open for the groups friends.” Botan says.
“Most likely it’s tied to Kagome. Whoever she fully trusts can go through. Since Yusuke’s her cousin he can go through.” Kurama explains.
“So, now we wait?” Botan asks, glancing down at Kuwabara who is now once again playing with Buyo.
Kurama nods.
Feudal Japan
“Oww…” Yusuke complains rubbing his head. “That idiot. What’s he think he’s doing shoving me down the well like that. HEY KUWABARA! GET ME OUT OF HERE!” Yusuke looks up out of the well to see a bright blue sky. ‘Sky? But I was in the well house!’
While Yusuke’s brain is trying to work out what the hell happened, Kagome is dealing with a little pest. No wait. BIG pest.
“Let go of me Kouga! Okaa-san isn’t here so LET ME THE HELL GO!” Shippou screams at the wolf demon.
The black form of Kagome blazes into the area punching Kouga in the face, sending the wolf demon reeling backwards. “Hand’s off my SON!”
Shippou scrambles out of Kouga’s grasp and runs toward Kagome, but stops halfway. “Kagome, what-?”
“Now’s not the time Shippou.” Kagome says, glaring at Kouga who is starting to pull himself off the ground while staring unblinkingly at Kagome. “And take notice if I ever hear you say that word again you will be punished in some cruel and unusual way, such as being submitted to play video games with my brother for unlimited hours until he gets bored.”
Shippou gulps and nods before turning the conversation back to the problem. “That was so cool when you punched Kouga! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a surprised look on his face before! Of course, it could be your new look.” Shippou chuckles. “How’d you know I was in trouble Kagome?”
“Call it ‘fox demon intuition’ if you wish.” Kagome replies, as Kouga fully stands up. “And stop staring at me wolf! There’s nothing to see here, get lost Kouga!”
“You- you’re a fox demon…” Kouga says shocked.
“No, I thought I was a pinecone.” This statement is enough for an odd snicker behind her. “YUSUKE URAMESHI! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE!” Kagome chooses her cousin as her next victim.
“I was about to ask you the same question. One second I’m in the freaky well house, then Kuwabara shoves me down the well, now I’m here.” Yusuke says.
Kagome slowly nods. “Someone remind me to make sure the idiot dies an excruciatingly slow pain filled death will you. Something tells me he causes more than enough of trouble.”
“I’ll do it!” Shippou volunteers.
Kagome grins at Shippou and nods, “Okay then pup.”
Yusuke looks at Shippou for a moment. “He’s a fox demon.”
Kagome rolls her eyes. “No, he’s a-”
“Kagome, please no more pinecone stories.” Yusuke requests.
Kagome grins evilly. “The perfect blackmail isn’t it Yusuke?”
“Don’t you even dare.”
“Hey Shippou, wanna hear a story?”
“KAGOME!”
Kagome sighs and pouts. “You’re no fun Yusuke.”
“Kagome, how…? What…? Who…? I- I’ve got to leave… my pack’s calling.” Kouga says, dashing off as he hears a wolf howling in the distance.
“Pack?” Yusuke asks confused.
“He’s a wolf demon. Wolves live in packs, surely you know that Yusuke.” Kagome says tauntingly.
“Of course I know that! I’m not stupid you know!” Yusuke yells.
“Could of fooled me.” Shippou says snickering, but quickly stops glancing into the woods before Miroku falls sheepishly out of the bushes.
“Uhh, hey Kagome?” Miroku tries.
“You have five seconds.” Kagome says monotonously.
“IT WAS ALL SANGO’S IDEA!” Miroku yells, pointing at the bushes.
“Miroku you idiot! Sango’s still at camp. It was your stupid idea to follow Shippou! I’m just glad I followed you. Figures you’d do something stupid like this!” A girl yells furiously as she jumps out of the trees.
Kagome looks over the girl taking in her aura. ‘Neko youkai by the looks of it. Fire and a mixture of… shadow? Odd. Her aura seems familiar…’ Kagome’s eyes widen as she recognizes the aura. “Kirara?”
The girl grins happily. “The one and only!”
In her humanoid form Kirara has long wavy blond hair with streaks of red and black running through it. Her eyes are cerulean blue and she has large cat-ears on top her head. She still has her two tails, which are more motional now, constantly wrapping themselves around her waist before flailing out behind her. Her sharp canines are slightly more pointed than Shippou’s are and her pointed claw-like nails are painted blood-red with black tips. On her cheeks are two single, red-tinged, black streaks.Her kimono is red and black. ‘Guess that’s her favorite color.’ Kagome muses.
/'You have no idea.'/ Kirara’s voice says entering Kagome’s thoughts.
‘KIRARA! You’re a mind reader!?’
/‘To some extent… Yup!’/
‘Great…’
/‘It can be a good thing you know. For example, I know exactly what Miroku is thinking and what he is planning. Poor dear, he hasn't a clue…’/
Kagome snorts. ‘Oh yeah, poor Miroku. How about poor all of us. And I always wondered how you knew exactly what to do in battle.’
/‘I communicated with Sango slightly.’/
Kirara smirks. /Of course, she never reall noticed. Now I do believe your pup is trying to get your attention./
“MOMMA!”
-TUG TUG-
Shippou, getting impatient after trying to get Kagome’s attention, decides to tug on her tail. Er… one of her tails.
‘Hang on, two tails? She only had one. But then… before she had the looks of both a dog demon and a fox demon. Now she looks like a black fox demon. Let’s see… two tails, fox ears, reddish points, green eyes… check, check, check, and check. Hang on… She’s a full-blood fox demon now! How did that happen!? There’s not a trace of dog demon blood anywhere now!’ Shippou climbs up onto Kagome’s shoulders. ‘Maybe this is why she doesn’t seem to mind me calling her ‘mom’ and why she came rushing back when Kouga was threatening me. Hang on… there’s another fox demon's scent on her… smells like roses. Wait-a-minute! That means mo- Kagome knows a fox demon in her time. Which means demons still will exist 500 years from now! Hmm… Too bad I can’t meet my future self, that would be cool!’
“Shippou, you okay?” Kagome’s voice breaks into his thoughts and he pulls his face out of her soft black hair.
“Kagome, can I call you mom?” Shippou asks quietly, meaning for only Kagome to hear him. However, the other’s hear it as well. Kirara just smiles knowingly. Miroku grins in a slightly perverted way, which causes Kirara to hit him upside the head. Yusuke almost chokes but instead looks at Kagome in a slight ‘what the hell is going on!’ sort of way.
Kagome smiles at Shippou. “I’d be honored to have you as my son.”
These words send Shippou grinning happily and also completely ‘bouncing off the trees’. Literally.
Kagome giggles as Shippou celebrates by changing into a multitude of different things and decides to add her own fox magic into the festivities.
Kirara, who has disappeared without warning a few minutes ago, returns with Sango in time to watch Kagome and Shippou use their magic to celebrate.
“Kagome’s a full blooded fox demon now… why?” Sango murmurs.
“Tell ya later.” Kirara tells Sango, concentrating on the fox magic for the moment.
“Kirara, how much do you know?” Sango asks curiously.
“Quite a bit Sango. I’m about 300 years old. Pretty young for a demon but old for a human of course. Appearance is age 19.” Kirara says offhandedly.
“Wow.” Sango says impressed.
Kirara shrugs. “You ought to watch this magic. It’s not something you see often. Although fox demons are generally happy and slightly hyper no matter how old they are, it’s not something you see a lot. Only when they have something to celebrate.”
Yusuke is simply impressed by the level of power Kagome and Shippou have, and the fact that they control it easily.
Shippou is mainly concentrating on doing impersonations of everyone, his favorite being enacting out Inuyasha getting ‘sat’. Every once in a while he throws a bit of fox fire somewhere, once accidently lighting Miroku on fire. He got it off of course.Kagome is using a combination of miko energy and youkai energy. Making the harmless fire swirl around everyone and every once in a while a burst of flower petals swirl around them.
Sango and Kirara continue their conversation, this time while watching the festivities.
“I wonder why Kohaku wanted to stay at camp.” Sango murmurs.
“The boy does need some time alone. Think about it, he spends a lot of time hanging out with Shippou and that does wear you out after a while. Anyway, you were tired after training Kagome and with Kohaku it’s worse. He’ll be fine Sango, so don’t worry. I put up a barrier around camp.” Kirara says, watching as Miroku runs around with some of Shippou’s fox fire on his robes. Again.
“Thanks Kirara.” Sango says.
10 minutes and two slightly worn out kitsune’s later...
“That was fun momma!” Shippou says, jumping onto Kagome’s head, his fluffy tail tickling her neck.
Kagome giggles.
“Guy’s I’ll be right back.” Kirara says, getting ready to run off. “I’m going to go get Kohaku so we can explain what’s going on. Be right back!” The strange cat demon zooms off into the forest and disappears in the shadows.
“She’s worse than Botan.” Yusuke comments.
“Who?” Kirara asks, popping out of nowhere with Kohaku.
“AHH!”
-THUD-
Kirara grins and sets Kohaku down. “Sorry ‘bout that Yusuke. Didn’t see you there." It's a lie of course. Kirara lives for scaring the living daylights out of everyone around her.
Sango, Miroku, and Kagome hold back there chuckles but Shippou starts snickering at the look on Yusuke’s face.
“Okay then, explanation time!” Kirara says, plopping down onto the ground beside Sango. “I’ll go first, since you’re all probably wondering why Kags is a full-blood fox demon now.” She pauses and looks around at everyone. “Okay then! I’m gonna ask you all to not ask me any questions until the end. Now, foxes and dogs generally don’t get along every once in a while there’s a rare case that sends the Lords and Ladies of each of the Lands into a frenzy. Since Kagome was half and half the blood wouldn’t get along. Eventually her heart decided to choose fox, most likely since it fits her personality so well. With me so far?”
Shippou clambers down to Kagome’s shoulders. “But an dog fits her personality better. Not a fox.”
Kirara blinks. “Well, I guess it was Kagome’s hearts decision. Anyway, Kagome’s a black fox now but also a bit of orange. Although I don’t know why… Oh well, I’ll figure it out someway. Let’s see… Kagome’s powers are her miko energy oddly enough, fire, and a bit of nature. That’s odd…”
“What is it Kirara?” Miroku asks.
“Well, as most black foxes do Kagome has a type of... special ability or curse. Her special ability is what allows her to use holy energy, but as for her curse... I really don't know what it could be. Oh well! We'll find out in time.” Kirara grins and sits back down. “Okay Kagome, your turn!”
The small group sweatdrops.
“Okay… well, this is my cousin Yusuke who, like the big idiot he is, fell down the well at my home. Although why he was in the well house to begin with, I have no clue.” Kagome says, waiting for her cousin’s outburst.
“It was Kuwabara’s fault! And you’re the one who rushed off on us to the stupid well house!” Yusuke yells.
“It’s not my fault you followed.” Kagome says, smirking.
“Why you little-”
“What do you mean by ‘us’ Yusuke?” Kirara asks, cutting off the argument.
Kagome blinks. “That reminds me, WHY WERE YOU ALL IN MY ROOM!”
Yusuke falls over. “After getting rid of the demon with Kurama you passed out remember. We wanted to make sure you were okay, although your mom did comment on your ears and tails…”
“Oh yeah… hang on, momma saw me?!” Kagome asks.
Yusuke nods. “Then she took a picture. And then another since I asked for one.” Yusuke is now grinning.
Something clicks in Kagome’s brain. “Yusuke.” She says slowly. “Who exactly was carrying me home.” Her ears pin back against her head and she prepares to tackle her 'dear beloved cousin'. Shippou slowly gets off Kagome’s shoulder and goes over to Kirara, where it will be safer.
“Kurama.”
Kagome sighs. ‘Thank god…’ “At least it wasn’t Kuwabara.”
Yusuke snickers. “Kuwabara wanted to, but somehow Kurama and Hiei didn’t think it was the best idea in the world. Well, I don’t know what Hiei thinks, it was Kurama’s idea.”
“Explain. Now.” Kirara says. “You already have me confused and that’s a first.”
“I’ve got a better idea.” Kagome says standing up.
Shippou, now that the argument has passed, runs over to Kagome and jumps into her arms. “What momma?”
“Why don’t you all come with me and Yusuke to our time, that way you can meet everyone and I won’t have to explain who they are.”
“Before we go,” Kirara says, as everyone else stands up. “What made you pass out? Did you use your holy energy and then your demon energy directly after that?”
Kagome nods.
“Kagome! That was so stupid!” Kirara yells. “Using your powers like that can be disastrous, I thought Sango told you to wait a few minutes after using your priestess powers otherwise it tries to purify you because of your demon energy!”
“It was an emergency Kirara! Now, come on. The others are probably worried about Yusuke now.” Kagome says walking to the well. “Yusuke you go first. Shippou and I will follow. Wait a few minutes before coming in Miroku. Then Sango and Kohaku, and last Kirara.”
“Okay Kagome!” Kirara says, switching back into ‘happy’ mode.
“See you all on the other side.” Kagome yells, before shoving Yusuke in and jumping in herself.
Modern Time
Kurama and Botan sit on the steps trying to think of what to do, Kuwabara is still playing with Buyo, and Hiei is nowhere to be seen, but that doesn’t mean he’s not in their somewhere.
/I like that girl…/ Youko’s tells Kurama.
Kurama mentally groans. ‘I don’t need this now Youko.’
/You like her too don’t you. That’s why you wouldn’t let Kuwabara carry her./
‘Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t let Kuwabara carry any girl’
Youko is silent for a moment.
“YUSUKE GET OFF OF ME!” They suddenly hear Kagome yell from inside the well.
-THUNK-
“Ouch! That’s my tail stupid!” Another voice chimes in.
A few seconds later Kagome jumps out of the well with Shippou in her arms. “Hey you guys, I got some friends coming just to let you know.” She turns around to face the well. “YUSUKE HURRY UP!”
Shippou covers his ears. “Momma, please don’t yell.”
/She has a pup!/ Youko exclaims in shock. /How can she have a pup! This isn't fair!/
-What’s going on this time?-
Kurama's more logical human side, Shuichi, speaks up.
‘He’s upset because Yusuke’s cousin has a pup.’
-Oh? Is that all?-

/Is that all?!/
Youko snarls. /Stupid human! I'll have you know that this is a big deal./

Kurama sighs heavily, knowing the other two will be arguing for a long time now. He tries his best to ignore them and pulls himself out of his mind to see what's going on.
By now Yusuke is finally out of the well, courtesy of Kagome, and a guy in monk's clothing is climbing out of the well.
“Guy’s this is Miroku. Miroku, these are my friends Kurama, Kuwabara, and Botan.” Kagome says.
Botan unconsciously scoots away from Miroku, remembering what Kagome had said about the lecherous monk.
Before Miroku has a chance to say anything to Botan, Sango climbs out of the well and rests a hand on Miroku’s shoulder.“Monk, you’re taken. Remember?” She growls, half-heartedly glaring at her future husband.
Kagome, Kurama, and Botan try to hold back their chuckles from this show of possessiveness from Sango.
Kohaku emerges from the well grinning. ‘So I was right, sis has a crush on Miroku. Ha! Kirara owes me big time!’ He glances over at Shippou to see him grinning as well, then looks up to see Kirara, raising an eyebrow at the scene before sighing loudly.
“I hate you two right now.” Kirara tells Sango and Miroku, who look at Kirara confused, as well as everyone else.
“Kagome, who’s this?” Botan asks, pointing to Kirara.
“Oh, that’s Kirara.” Kagome says, waiting for the yelling that is sure to follow.
“KIRARA!”
Said girl grins. “The one and only! Nice to meet ya’ll!” She looks around the well house, already taking in her surroundings. A habit that she'll never be able to break after growing up and living in the Feudal Era. “So, Kagome are you gonna introduce us to your friends are we gonna just stand here all night long.” Kirara asks, rather perkily.
“Right. Well, we have Miroku the pervert, Sango the demon slayer, Kirara the fire-cat, Kohaku, and last but not least my son Shippou!” Kagome decides to tickle attack Shippou before introducing the Spirit Detectives. After Shippou shouts ‘mercy!’ Kagome stands up with him in her arms.
Youko is now mumbling death threats and curses not meant for anyone to hear while Shuichi is snickering at the fox demon's predicament. Kurama just sighs, wondering if the two voices in his head will ever shut up.
“Okay, there’s Kuwabara who’s the idiot playing with my overweight cat, Yusuke who you’ve already met, Kurama, Botan, and Hiei’s over in the shadows somewhere apparently. Koenma’s already back in Spirit World I take it?” Kagome asks Botan, who nods.
“Said something about his father killing him before he left.” Botan says.
Kagome groans. “It has to do with the well doesn’t it? That’s what I heard him saying last before my fox demon senses went into overdrive.” Kagome absentmindedly strokes Shippou’s tail. “And now I’ve got even more explaining to do.”
Botan nods. “Didn’t you say before you wished to be half dog half fox demon? Now you’re full fox demon.”
Kirara steps away from the well. “I can explain that one. Just hear me out, okay?” At the other’s nods she proceeds to tell the Spirit Detectives exactly what she had told Kagome and the others.
“So the two bloods don’t get along and the fox side won? For some reason I’m having a hard time believing this.” Botan says. "I've never even heard of something like this."
“Stupid. Life is a war. For half demons the human blood is constantly fighting the demon side. Unless there’s something to hold it back the demon side will rage out of control.” Hiei says coldly, stepping out of the shadows.
“Like Inuyasha, remember when his sword broke. His demon side took over.” Shippou says.
Kagome, Sango, and Miroku nod, remembering those rare occurrences.
“This stuff is enough to give me a headache. I need to go lie down for a little while you guys. I think Kirara was right, it was stupid of me to use holy energy and then demon energy…” Kagome carefully shuffles out of the well house carrying Shippou without another word to anyone else.
“Someone should go with her.” Kohaku says.
“I wi-” Miroku doesn't get to finish volunteering.
“No.” Sango growls.
Botan sighs. “I’ll go, Sango do you want to come?”
Sango nods and looks over at Kirara. “Make sure they don’t hurt themselves Kirara.”
Kirara grins and solutes before grinning evilly Miroku, Yusuke, and Kuwabara, who start backing away from the fire-cat.Sango sighs and follows Botan out of the well house. ‘I hope she doesn’t kill them…’
/'No worries Sango, they'll be alive when you get back.'/
Kirara tells Sango.
‘Gee, I feel so much better now.'
-T-R-U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D--T-R-U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D--T-R-U-T-H-- B-E--T-O-L-D--T-R-U-T-H--B-E--T-O-L-D-
Shiro: (grins) That was fun to write! Now, I know I said Shippou's wish would finally be revealed in this chapter but it will be a while before it is revealed! I'm really sorry! I wonder... anyone wanna guess what his wish was? Anyone at all?/
Shippou: I know!
Sango: Shippou, you made the wish of course you know what it is.
Yusuke: (backstage) Kuwabara! Don't do that!
-CRASH-
Kuwabara: (backstage) I didn't mean to Urameshi!
Shiro: (growls) Kitsune, Keitaro, can you two handle everything while I go see what the bouzo's did this time.
Kitsune: (nods) Of course Shiro!
Keitaro: Anything that will keep me close to my Kitsune.
Kitsune: (growls) Perv...
Shiro: THANKS! (runs backstage as another crash sounds)
Kagome: (to Kitsune) So, you want to go see what the other girls are doing?
Kitsune: (nods) Sure, why not.

Keitaro: (pouts when both girls walk off leaving him alone) Please review...