InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Truth Be Told ❯ Chapter 18: Returning the Normal World… for now ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: (long suffering sigh) Must I say it? You all know I don't own either of the shows byt now.
Chapter 18: Returning the Normal World… for now
The day after the party is spent once again in hectivity. Rin won't come on out her room. Kirara and the twins don't play any tricks for once and instead spend the day running around the castle giving out messages and thank you notes. Sesshoumaru goes back and forth between Rin, helping guests, keeping the twins out of arguments, and talking to other lords and ladies. The two teams spend their time helping Sesshoumaru with Rin and the twins, packing, and talking to a few youkai. Even Kagura stays longer to help them all. By about noon, everyone was agreeable hungry and tired, and yet only half the day has passed. And now, the ladies are making lunch. Of course, with Kirara and Kaori in the same room constantly whispering to each other, chaos is bound to ensue.
“They’re up to something.” Sango says, brushing away a loose strand of hair for what seems like the hundredth time.
Kagura sighs. “You noticed? With Kirara involved, they’re always up to something.” She says dryly. She turns to Kagome, who is beside her fixing up sandwiches. “Can you hear what they’re saying? Or what it involves?”
Kagome nods. “Unfortunately. It involves one of the guards, a rubber chicken, silly string, whipped cream, and a camera.” She flicks one of her fox ears over in Kirara and Kaori’s direction. “And Kirara says for us to mind our own business, and for Sango to take her hair out of the bun and just put it in a ponytail like always. Damn, she’s good.”
Keiko and Botan giggle, while the others roll their eyes.
Shizuru decides to turn it to a different topic. “So Kirara, sleep well?”
“Not even remotely funny, Shizuru!” Kirara yells. “I still say I’d rather sleep in the same room as your brother, even if he does snore up a storm! At least I don’t have to worry about being attacked by him, he’s too… what’s the word I’m looking for?”
“Sweet?” Yukina asks.
“Manly?” Sango says, before blinking realizing what she said. She curses. “I’ve been around Miroku too much.”
“Honor-code-bound.” Shizuru says. “His honor code doesn’t allow him to fight girls, only older sisters.”
“Or else he doesn’t think of you as a girl.” Kirara agrees, snickering slightly.
Kagura walks across the rooms and hits Kirara in the head with her red and white fan. “Behave, kitten.”
“Watch it wind-witch.” Kirara growls.
“Kirara!” Kagome yells, putting the last sandwich on a tray. “Don’t make me get you a rosary!” She turns her cold green eyes on Kirara. “Kagura’s on the team and is my friend. Besides, the only reason she worked for Naraku was because she had to! He held her heart in his hands and had her younger sister under control!”
Kagura winces from the sharp tug at her heart at the mention of Kanna.
Kirara looks away and mumbles a quick ‘sorry’.
Kagome sighs. “Don’t say sorry to me, Kirara. Say it to Kagura.”
Kirara looks at Kagura. “I’m sorry, Kagura.”
Kagura nods. “I’m sorry for hitting you on the head. I’m too used to doing it with Sesshoumaru’s pups.”
“That’s for sure…” Kaori grumbles.
The chatting goes on for a few minutes and Kagome absent mindedly makes a few more sandwiches before realizing she has done so.
“Hey Kagura,” Kagome says. “Can you take these sandwiches to the dinning room and make sure the boys don’t eat any? Sango and I will be out in a minute with the drinks.”
“And we’ll be right behind them.” Kirara says, gesturing to mixed plates her and Kaori were working on.
“Us too.” Shizuru says, still working on fixing up the last of the mixed plates her, Yukina, and Keiko had to fix.
“Well, lets get out there before the boys starve to death!” Sango says cheerfully.
The rest of the girls laugh at this statement, and begin carrying the trays to the dining room.
----------
“Thank you so much for allowing us to come, Lord Sesshoumaru.” Kagome says, bowing respectfully. “Please give our thanks to Lady Rin as well.”
Sesshoumaru nods. “I will, Lady Kagome.”
Kagome blushes and glares half-heartedly at Kirara, who smiles innocently from her spot between Sesshoumaru and Kagura.
“We’ll be seeing you all later then.” Sango says, bowing. “It’s a pleasure to have you as an ally now.”
Sesshoumaru nods. “I will send Kirara after you all when we have any information.”
“Alright, bye you guys!” Kagome says waving, as Yusuke begins dragging her away while mumbling something about his mom killing him for being gone longer than expected. “Yusuke, cut it out! Aunt Atsuko isn’t going to kill you! You’ve been gone for longer before! And then you didn’t even tell her you were going off!”
“So!”
“Oh forget it! You’re so stubborn!”
The others laugh at the two cousins and their stubbornness. It’s pretty obvious that the two are related.
“Get out of here before you two drive us all insane!” Kagura yells jokingly.
“Well fine,” Kagome replies jokingly, as she sticks her nose in the air. “I don’t think I could stand being around you any longer anyway.”
With that said, all the girls erupt into giggles.
“Women.” Yusuke grumbles.
-----
“Later you guys!” Kagome says, waving to the tantei and the girls as they walk down the stairs. “Please don’t kill my cousin if he does anything perverted, Keiko!”
“I won’t, Kagome!” Keiko promises.
Kagome laughs before walking inside and makes her way to the living room where Sango, Shippou, and Kohaku are watching Miroku get his ass kicked in video games by Souta. Kagome shakes her head and leans up against the wall as she watches her friends.
“I call a rematch!” Miroku yells, annoyed that he’s been beaten by a boy many years younger than himself.
“No way! I wanna go against Shippou now! At least he gives me a challenge!” Souta yells, pinning back his black tipped orange fox ears.
“Yes!” Shippou yells, before he happily jumps off the couch and lands on Miroku’s head. “Give it!” He quickly wrestles the control away from Miroku and effortlessly plops down beside Souta and begins playing.
For the next hour the small group take turns going against each other in video games and card games. Then Mrs. Higurashi walks into the room.
“I thought I heard you all. Now, I’m not sure how you all will take this news but…” She takes a deep breath. “Koenma made profiles for Sango, Miroku, Shippou, and Kohaku so they can go to school. Kohaku and Shippou will go to school with Souta, and Sango and Miroku will go to school with Kagome.”
“So, we need to go out and get Sango and Miroku uniforms, don’t we.” Kagome says. “And get Kohaku and Shippou some clothes.”
“Me, mom, and Kohaku already went shopping for his clothes. He’s also been to school with me already.” Souta interjects. “So he can stay here and play video games with me! Right Kohaku?”
Kohaku happily nods, and Sango smiles at seeing her brother happy once again.
“So it’s settled then, we’ll go shopping and I’ll show you three around. I also have one more thing I want to do while we’re out… But that’s a secret!” Kagome says, giving them a secretive grin. “Let’s go change and then we can go.”“Kagome,” Miroku speaks up. “May I ask what I’m going to wear?”
Souta, now playing a new video game, speaks up first. “Koenma dropped off some stuff for you, Miroku. It’s not exactly normal, but it’s better than your monk robes.” He points to the couch where a box lies.
“Hmm…” Already interested, Miroku pulls the lid off the box and pulls out a type of fighting outfit. (Somewhat like what Koenma always wears in his teenage form, only different colors.) “Dark purple and gold, interesting. I wonder how he knew what colors I like…”
“Your robes, staff, and earrings.” Sango says dryly. “Really Miroku, he’s the prince of Spirit World, how do you think he knows?!”
“Oh, right. Of course.”
The others in the room sweat drop as Miroku continues admiring the outfit.
“Right, well Miroku, we’ll be upstairs. C’mon Sango, I have something that’ll look perfect on you.” Kagome says, before dragging Sango up to her room. “Hey Souta, get something for Shippou to wear, please!”
“Uh huh…! Sure sis!”
Later
The five time travelers are ready to go. Shippou’s wearing one of Souta’s old blue shirts and a pair of Souta’s old faded blue jeans. His tail is cleverly hidden with a spell Kurama taught him and his orange hair is pulled up into a ponytail. Sango’s wearing a pair of black jeans and a cream colored top. Her hair is pulled back into her casual hairstyle. Kagome’s wearing a green t-shirt and a pair of navy jeans. Her orange-red tipped black is pulled back into a ponytail similar to Sango’s. And last, Miroku is now wearing the purple and gold fighting outfit, which is bound to attract attention.
“Alright you guys! Let’s get going. Our first stop is Sarayashiki High! Next, we’ll hit the mall for a shopping spree! Ready?” Kagome asks.
Sango, Miroku, and Shippou nod.
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
During the time Kagome, Sango, Miroku, and Shippou are off shopping, Kurama comes back to the shrine to talk to Mrs. Higurashi and Souta about something. Kohaku also joins the conversation.
“Kurama, of course you have my permission to court Kagome.” Mrs. Higurashi says happily. “What about you two?”
“Yeah! You two are perfect for each other! Go for it!” Souta yells energetically.
Kohaku nods. “I know my opinion doesn’t matter, since I’m not really related to Kagome, but me and Sango both feel that you two are perfect for each other. I think Miroku feels the same.”
“Thank you.” Kurama says, bowing his head slightly.
Mrs. Higurashi taps her chin thoughtfully. “Now all you have to do is gain permission from Shippou, my sister, and Yusuke.”
“Yusuke?” Kurama asks.
“Of course. They may be just cousins, but when they were kids they were inseparable. Best friends, almost like twins. And Yusuke had the cutest little puppy ears…”
Kurama almost chokes on the tea Mrs. Higurashi gave him. “Yusuke has dog demonblood?”
Mrs. Higurashi nods. “Yes, he’s a silver dog demon. His father was human.”
“Interesting… I never would have guessed. He doesn’t know, does he.” Kurama says.
Mrs. Higurashi shakes her head ‘no’. “Atsuko refuses to tell him. I’m sure that once she finds out I’ve told Kagome and Souta that she’ll tell him. Now, how to ask Shippou without having Kagome nearby… I know!” Mrs. Higurashi exclaims. “I can’t walk the boys home from school tomorrow like I told them I could. Perhaps you could take the honor of bringing them home. Then you can ask Shippou!”
“Brilliant idea, Mrs. Higurashi. Thank you.” Kurama says before glancing at a clock. “I need to get home now, I promised my mother I would be home in time for dinner tonight. I do have a feeling she wants to ask me about where I have been for so long.”
“Of course,” Mrs. Higurashi says with a smile. “I would like to meet your mother sometime soon. We could get together for a nice little chat.”
“Most likely about grandchildren…” Souta mumbles.
“I’ll ask her. Goodbye Mrs. Higurashi. Souta. Kohaku.”
The Next Morning
Mrs. Higurashi raises an eyebrow at Sango and Miroku’s school uniforms. Sango’s uniform is black with a magenta scarf and designs. Miroku’s is dark purple with golden buttons and a black undershirt.
“Well, I take it Kagome convinced you to get them a different color?” Mrs. Higurashi asks.
“We chose these colors since they suit us the best.” Miroku says, pulling his hair loose from it’s usual rat-tail.
Sango quickly pulls her hair up into a high ponytail. “Kagome’s uniform is different too. I think Yusuke will get a kick out of it, and the teachers will probably get a heart attack.”
Mrs. Higurashi just sighs. “Do I want to know?”
“Good morning momma!” Kagome says, as she comes down the stairs in a light green uniform (the same color as Yusuke’s) with a yellow scarf. “We gotta head off and get there early so Sango and Miroku can get their schedules! Tell Shippou I said for him to be good and not play too many pranks at school!” She yells, before dragging Sango and Miroku off to school.
Mrs. Higurashi shakes her head before going upstairs to wake up the three boys.
At School
“Yusuke! Keiko! Kuwabara!” Kagome yells, upon entering the school yard.
The trio turns around the see Kagome, Sango, and Miroku in different colored uniforms. Yusuke smirks, Keiko sighs in annoyance, and Kuwabara doesn’t even notice.
“Hey Kagome, nice uniform!” Yusuke says, placing an arm on his cousins shoulder when she walks up to them. “Now we can give the stupid teachers a run for their money!”
Kagome resists rolling her eyes. “Well, we figured if you could pull off having a different color uniform, we could too. Besides, blue doesn’t suit any of us except for maybe Miroku.”
“I prefer dark purple over dark blue.” Miroku says, pulling his hair back. “So, where do we go to get our schedules?”
“I have them right here.” Keiko says, holding up two sheets of paper. “You guys have the same classes that Kagome does, except Miroku has PE with Kurama, Yusuke, and Kuwabara. Other than that, you’re schedules are pretty much identical.”
“Hey Kurama! Over here!” Kuwabara suddenly yells, waving his arms to get Kurama’s attention.
Kagome turns and almost blushes at the sight of Kurama in the school’s navy blue uniform. (Shiro: I know Kurama doesn’t go to Sarayashiki, but he does in this fic. I had to get him out of the magenta uniform somehow!)
“Alright, lets get going!” Kagome says energetically.
Miroku leans over to Sango and whispers, “How much sleep did Kagome get last night?”
“More than enough, Miroku. More than enough.” Sango says with a sigh.