InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Truth Be Told ❯ Chapter 24: Complications of a Wish ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha. I do own any OC characters and the plot.

LAST TIME:

After about ten minutes, Yukina finally walks out of the room. Everyone’s attention becomes focused on her at this moment.

“I’m afraid there may be some bad news…”


Chapter 24: Complications of a Wish

“What’s wrong with momma?!” Shippou yells, jumping up off the couch. “Will she be okay? What-”

“It’s complicated.” Yukina says softly. “I don’t really know what is wrong, but I know it’s not good.”

Yusuke drops the shredded paper on the floor. “How can you not know what’s wrong! You-”

“Yusuke.” Sango sharply cuts him off. “Nobody knows everything. Yukina’s done the best she can and that’s what matters.” She looks over at the fragile looking ice maiden. “Can we see her?”

“She’s still unconscious, but you can go see her if you want.” Yukina replies. “I better take care of Miroku now, though.”

Sango shrugs. “He’ll live. He’s been through worse.”

Miroku groans as his eyes flicker open. “How nice to hear how much you care.” He gently lifts a hand up and touches a sore spot on his head. “Ouch.”

“It’s your fault for being so cocky, Miroku!” Sango growls, trying not to show how much she was worried about him. “I told you to be careful, and you said you’d be just fine!”

“And here you’re trying not to get me to fight!” Yusuke angrily yells at the slayer. “What about you? Arguing with your teammate just because he lost one match! It’s just one!”

“I know it’s just one!” Sango yells back, as they both stand up, glaring at one another. “That’s not what I’m angry about, Detective! You can’t go into a fight thinking that you’ll win just because you have an advantage over most demons! That’s a surefire way to get yourself killed! This tournament is dangerous and we’re suppose to be serious about all of this! We’re not here to have fun! We’re not here just to fight! We’re here to get rid of Sari and avenge Kita’s death! We don’t know whether we’re going to live or die! We can only hope that we won’t get ourselves killed doing this stupid shit! We-”

“Sango, that’s enough!” A new yet very familiar voice yells. “Sit down the two of you, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Now is not the time to be fighting over something so stupid!”

Everyone watches as a cloud of shadows slowly appears in the middle of the room. From this cloud steps Kirara, a serious look engraved on her usually cheerful face. She quickly waves away the shadow cloud, and glares at Yusuke and Sango. “Now is not the time to be fighting.” She repeats. “Both of you are right. Sango, you are picking fights with everyone. Yusuke, you’re not being serious enough about all of this.” The fire-cat glares at the raven-haired boy when he opens his mouth to say something. “Where’s Kagome at?”

“She’s in there.” Yukina replies, stepping away from the door so Kirara can pass.

Kirara nods. “Thank you, Yukina.” She says, before quickly walking into the room and shutting the door.

Now an awkward silence fills the room, broken only when Kagura enters the room balancing two trays of tea on her hands. Yukina quickly walks over and takes one of the trays, so that Kagura doesn’t accidentally drop one.

“Thank you, Yukina.” Kagura murmurs to the ice maiden, handing out cups of tea to those around her.

Soon everyone has a glass of tea in their hands, whether they’re drinking it or not is their own choice. They all look up expectantly when Kirara walks back out and looks around the room.

“Shippou, I have a question.” The fire cat says.

Shippou looks up at Kirara in surprise. “I didn’t do anything to momma, Kirara! I was out fighting when she collapsed!”

“I know, I was watching.” Kirara replies. “I need to know what wish it was you made.”

“I wished to have a mommy and daddy again.” Shippou quietly replies. “But Kagome’s my momma now.”

“Yes, but you don’t-” Kirara’s eyes widen and she snaps her fingers. “Coupled with her black fox blood-” She quickly dashes through a shadow yelling, “I’ll be back in a little while!” over her shoulder.

The next few hours are spent in high tension. It lessons slightly when the boys have to leave to go meet their fifth member for the fight. Kagura and Yukina spend the majority of the time in the kitchen, trying to distract themselves. Sango sits by the window, distractedly sharpening her sword while Miroku stays on the couch polishing his shakujou. Shippou sits on the couch beside Miroku, glumly staring at the floor.

The boys return from their fight with their fifth member, a rather handsome black fox half demon named Ganko(1), before Kirara gets back. When the fire-cat does get back she sighs in what seems like relief when she sees Ganko and then grabs his arm and drags him off to a corner to talk to him about something.

After nearly an hour and a half of the two talking, Kirara finally stands up. “Well, I think we’ve got it! Nothing is seriously wrong with Kagome, there’s just some wish complication. It has to do with- what did you say it was again Ganko?”

Ganko raises an eyebrow. “I said it was because of her black fox bloodlines. It’s not that complicated, Kirara-san.”

Kirara rolls her eyes at the use of the suffix and grumbles, “At least he’s not using ‘sama’ anymore.” before turning back to the topic at hand. “Right, her bloodline. Yusuke, Sango, Miroku, Shippou, I’m sure you all remember what I was saying about not knowing what power’s she’d have because of her black fox blood?”

“I thought you said she could switch from silver to black.” Sango comments, confused.

Kirara frowns and thinks for a minute. “Umm… okay, so I did say that. There’s been more cases since 500 years ago, and I was reading up on a few of ‘em. I just had to check with this handsome fellow here.”

“Down girl.” Ganko says grinning. “I have a girlfriend.”

Kirara sighs. “All the good looking ones are nowadays.”

Kurama clears her throat. “Kirara, what’s wrong with Kagome?”

“She just needs to find a mate within the year.” Kirara replies. “If she doesn’t Shippou’s wish becomes void and Kagome’s blood changes to inu or something like that. See, the main reason her blood chose kitsune was because of Shippou’s wish, not because her heart chose for her blood to be pure kitsune.”

“But how is that possible?” Kurama asks. “I mean, how would it be possible for her bloodline to change from kitsune to inu?”

“Miss Kagome’s inu youkai blood is dormant right now.” Ganko speaks up.

“That doesn’t explain why Kagome fainted.” Yusuke says, annoyed at not knowing what’s wrong with his cousin.

“That’s simple.” Kirara says. “Shippou was in danger. Plus, it’s been about a half a year since the wish was made.”

“The closer it gets to the end of one year the more doglike traits will appear in Miss Kagome’s personality and you’ll notice silver beginning to appear in her hair.” Ganko says, peering out the window. “Ooo, is that snow?”

“It’s only fall.” Kurama comments.

“And we’re past the autumn equinox already, it could snow any time.” Ganko replies, still looking out the window.

“Ice-shadow fox, we do not need a snow storm in the middle of battle.” Kirara says, noticing the black fox moving his hands in intricate patterns.

Ganko pouts. “But snowstorms are fun.”

“Only an ice demon.” Kirara says, shaking her head in exasperation.

“When’s momma going to wake up?” Shippou asks.

“Any time now.” Kirara replies cheerfully. “She might be a little overprotective when she wakes up, so don’t test her patience or anything. A little tea might help her out. And if she has any questions, let Ganko answer them.”

The others turn to look at Ganko in confusion.

“My nephew’s half sun-cat, half shadow fox.” Ganko explains. “He randomly alternates between the two, so he’s basically a true half-and-half. It’s really hard on him when his powers shift from sun and fire to shadow and ice.”

Kirara smiles. “Well, I’ll be off now! Lord Fluffy needs me back at the castle asap.”

Kagura, who was walking in at that moment, almost chokes on the life savor she’s sucking on, and turns quickly around walking back into the kitchen.

Nearly everyone in the room sweat drops and Kirara only shrugs and casually slips through a shadow for the whatever-number time that day.

The next few hours are spent in complete and utter boredom. Eventually, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Miroku, and Shippou decide to go out for a small walk on the island. Hiei had disappeared a few hours before then. This leaves Sango, Ganko, Kagura, Kurama, and Yukina alone in the hotel room with an unconscious Kagome. Of course, Sango and Kagura, ever the suspicious ones of the bunch, decide to question Ganko.

“So,” Sango starts. “how did you get mixed up in all of this, Ganko?”

Ganko jumps, nearly spilling his tea. “I owe Koenma because of some thieving mix-up a few years back. Somehow I jumped the barrier, I never figured out how…”

Kagura raises an eyebrow. “How can you not know how you jumped the barrier?”

“Dunno.” Ganko replies, shrugging. “Worked out for the best though, that’s how I was reunited with my sister. I asked Koenma to wait until my nephew was old enough before I went on any of his insane cases. Thankfully, I’m only stuck with one because I did an accidental jump and didn’t harm anyone. Being half human is a plus.” He adds thoughtfully.

“How long have you been in the Ningenkai?” Kagura asks.

“Ever since then.” Ganko replies. “This is actually the first time I’ve been back to the Makai since my barrier jumping issue. There’s a really nice demon town in Okinawa where I live with my sister and her son.”

“What kind of demon are you?” Sango asks next.

Ganko laughs. “What is this, twenty questions?” He smiles. “I’m half human, half shadow fox demon. My ice powers actually came from my human side. That’s why Kirara-san called me ice-shadow earlier.”

A sound from the doorway to Kagome’s room makes everyone look up. Sango and Kurama both look relieved when they see that it’s a sleepy looking Kagome.

“So this is the lovely Miss Kagome.” Ganko says, his dark blue eyes twinkling. “Well, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

Kagome blushes and edges closer to Sango. Youko growls from within Kurama’s soul.

-‘She’s ours, he can’t have her!’-

‘Youko, be reasonable. Yusuke hasn’t even agreed to letting us court her yet, why would he give some shadow kitsune permission?’
Kurama says.

-But she’s the one who chooses! We can’t let her fall in love with him!- Youko protests.

Kurama mentally sighs. ‘Youko, we can’t make her do anything. Now be quiet.’

“It’s nice to meet you, Ganko.” Kagome says politely, before looking back at Sango. “So, what’s going on? Did we win the match or not? And where is everyone?”

“Kagome, you fainted. We did win the match and everyone else is off doing something or other.” Sango replies.

Kagome frowns. “I fainted? But why?”

“I believe I can answer that, Miss Kagome,” Ganko says. “Have a seat so you don’t overtire yourself.”

Kurama almost growls when Kagome sits down beside Ganko, but catches himself just in time. Sango and Kagura give him a strange look as if they knew he was going to growl.

“Before you start telling her, Ganko,” Kagura says. “Kagome, would you like some tea?”

Kagome nods. “Tea sounds wonderful, Kagura.”

Kagura gives the fox demoness a quick smile before going back into the kitchen.

By the time night falls Kagome has been fully informed of what’s going on and everyone is in their respectable room. Meaning, Team Urameshi has gone up to the top floor for the night, except for Yukina.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Days speed bye, both of the teams having matches each day. Strangely while the wolf pack cheered for team Shikon, they didn’t cheer for team Urameshi. When asked why, one of the wolves had just shrugged and continued to quietly watch team Urameshi’s match.

On the day before the end of the tournament, two teams are examining the match set-ups in shock.

“No way…” Kagome whispers, staring at the chart. “There’s no way.”

Sango looks sadly at Kagome. “We new it’d come to this sooner or later, and either way one of our teams will defeat Sari.”

Kagome looks up at her teammates, her eyes shining with unshed tears. “But we’re fighting my cousin and his team! Our friends! How-?! Why-?!” The match set-up paper rips in her hands. “Guys, I don’t think I can handle this.”

Kagura frowns, her red eyes cold. “Kagome.” She says, standing up. “We have come far in this tournament. Too far to back down just because of something stupid like this. We need the strongest team to advance to kill Sari, and we don’t need to lose and get ourselves killed just because you won’t fight your cousin or his teammates. We are on the brink of the war and the outcome of the tournament will show whether we will be going into a war or not. And I don’t know about you, but I do not want to live through another petty demon war. I’ve had beyond my share of fighting in the demon realm, and I’m fed up with it. So shape up, Higurashi. Do you hear me? We have no choice but to fight. Forget about your friendship with them and the fact that Urameshi’s your cousin. You have to fight them.” Kagura breaks her glare at Kagome and storms off into the kitchen to cool down.

Kagome hiccups. “Kagura’s right… I do need to shape up. We have come far and I don’t want to see war…” She looks up determined and wipes her tears away. “I think I’m ready.”

Sango smiles. “I know you are, Kagome.”

Miroku nods. “Yes, you are strong, whether you believe that or not.”

“It’ll be fine, momma! You’ll see!” Shippou says happily.

“Thanks guys.” Kagome says, a ghost of a smile crossing her lips. “Just… thanks.”



Shiro: Well, there ya go! I know I said I was going to get the tournament over with in this chapter, but the chapter's long enough for me to go ahead and post it. I promise that the tournament will be over next chapter since all that's left is Urameshi vs. Shikon and ??? vs. Sari's Team. Oh, and anyone who knows where I got Ganko's name and basic personality will get... a shrubbery! Joking! Joking! I dunno yet.

Ganko: (grins) How about a Ganko and Keitaro plushie!

Keitaro: (nods) Hey, I like that idea!

Kaze: Great, more moron kitsune...

Ganko, Keitaro, Shiro, and Kitsune: HEY!

Bast: (giggles) Poor hikari...

Kyle: Yeah, poor Shiro. (when the five get into a fight) Guess we're handling the reviews again?

Bast: Yes, apparently so. (sighs) Review replies are below. (jumps into the fray) Hikari! Stop biting Keitaro's ear! He's on your side, baka!

Kyle: (sweatdrops) O~kay.

REVIEW REPLIES

Torachick- I hate cliffhangers as much as the next person, but it had to be done! Sorry! Please don't send the Sesshy clone after me! (cowers in fear)
Black Wolf Jaganshi Lover- Naw, she'll be able to fight. If she couldn't then Kirara would have to take her spot, but Kirara's pretty busy helping Sesshy so that wouldn't work out too well. You'll see who it is. It may actually come as a surprise. A very big surprise. There's no way I'm killing off one of the Shikon members, after they've been through all of the stuff they've been through, they deserve a break. And this chapter answers the mystery of Team Urameshi's fifth member. Thanks for reviewing!
Hiei&SesshyMINE!!!!- That is a good idea, but I needed some way to answer a few questions. I think it actually worked out better this way, don't you? Yeah, I loved the 'electricty goes out' part too. That was alot of fun to write. I still laugh when I read it. Hope you had fun camping!
AnimeLover14- It's a little late to be voting, ne? I'm really sorry but the pairing's Kag/Kur.
Shinju of the Southern Lands- (blinks) Someone else commented on this as well. Guess I'll be using 'Taisho' for the next story I write. ((Don't worry, you don't sound rude)) Thanks for reviewing!
SunStar Kitsune- Well, I suppose this chapter answers what's wrong with her, ne? Thanks for reviewing!
FoxylilRaven- I know, I hate being on the recieving end too. But then when you end a chapter with a cliffie... (groans) It's just so tempting! Thanks for reviewing!
Ryukotsusei- Yes, evil evil cliffies. (sighs) I can't complain about them now, either. Thanks for reviewing.
Thank you's to: Spiritdetectingmiko, Sakura Blossom-Cilla-85,Red Kitsune Flames, animegirl2961, regretfully-yours-Cassy-chan, and Saber Kon